Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Sentra 2006 and earlier

Comments

• willhopelandwillhopeland Member Posts: 5
    Maybe it is just me? I bought a brand new sentra 1.8s one week ago. It is OK so far but the engine noise seems a little too big.

When I stop at red light, I can hear the engine has periodical noise (more clear at night). If I open the hood, the noise is pretty loud. I also feel a little bit vibrating when I stop the car with brake. Is that normal? Also the idle speed seems just at 550 RPM (should be 700rpm?). Is this the reason for the noise?

I had a old maxima which died one month ago. It had a similar idling problem before it died. But this sentra is a new car. Maybe it is normal in a break in period? Maybe I worry too much about it?

Anyone has the same experience? If it is a problem, I have to bring it back to dealer.

Thanks,
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Idle speed in the 600 range when warm is fine. Engines make noise. The Sentra is not one of the quietest small sedans. As long as the noise do not seem out-of-the ordianry in quality, I wouldnt worry about it. If either or both of these issues are seriously troubling you, mention both to your service advisor at your first oil change.

~alpha
    I understand engines make noise. But the weird thing is the noise is periodical. Also I can feel the engine is slightly vibrating periodically when the car is stopped by the brakes.

Yeah, I guess you are right. I worried too much. The unexpected death of my old maxima makes me sensitive to all those idling, vibrating and noise.
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    My car also idles in the 600 to 700 range and I also think this is within specs. I had mine checked at the dealer and was told all is a o k.
    Let the car break in a little more also.

The Sandman :-)
  • skylerskyler Member Posts: 6
    My boyfriend bought a Sentra LE in '94 and has kept it this whole time (he'll be buying a 2004 in a few months). He's never had to have any major work done on it and hasn't really had any problems.

I just bought my first car, a 2004 Sentra 1.8S and I couldn't be happier. After driving that old '94 around and then a series of my parents crappy rustbuckets it was a welcome change.

#1608 - I have that same rumbling. It's normal. I've had a 27-point inspection and everything appears to be okay.

I also had the engine light come on, and I was told that it came on because of a flaw in the software on the trip computer and the software had to be replaced. Once they replaced it, the light never came back on.

I like that Sentra so much that I'll never buy any other car than a Nissan. I've driven Ford, Chevy, Daewoo, Kia, and GMC and they all suck compared to a Nissan. It's like driving in a luxury car to me. It's so responsive and powerful. I can't see why anyone wouldn't want one...
  • pulgopulgo Member Posts: 400
    Happy to hear that you like your 04 Sentra. It's a great car that will last a long time. It's a proven design and very realiable.

There are several other cars in the same category, like the Honda Civic, Toyota Corolla, Mazda 3. These are all very good cars and I'll bet you would like them too.

Compared to an 11 year old Sentra any of these will feel like a luxury car!
    I would like any car that is reliable, but I feel a loyalty to Nissan. I doubt I'll try anything else like Mazda or Toyota. I don't doubt they are good, I just feel like I would be cheating myself if I didn't stick with Nissan. It's weird, isn't it?
  • ottomaticottomatic Member Posts: 12
    Has anyone actually test driven and/or compared the Mazda 3 (automatic transmission) sedan to the Nissan Sentra 1.8 S sedan? As others have mentioned, the Mazda 3 seems like a comparable car to the Sentra, like the Honda Civic for example.

But Edmunds did not have a "True Cost to Own" figure yet for the relatively new Mazda make-model to compare against Nissan's compact sedan, so I was reluctant to seriously consider the Mazda 3 ... and wonder in hindsight if I should have....

Also, I've been driving the 2004 Nissan Sentra 1.8 S for awhile...and I cannot seem to find a comfortable seating position, adjustment for the driver's seat, even though I'm not what you call "tall" by any means.

Even with the tilt steering and two driver's seat left-sided "dials" and the forward-back seat handle directly below the driver's seat, I seem to have a difficult time finding a position that doesn't make my legs feel cramped. Any suggestions?....
    Is a dynamically superior car to the Sentra in every way. The Sentra is now in its 5th and final year of the design, with a new one expected in the fall of 04 as an 05 or in the spring of 05 as an 05 or 06 model. I own a Sentra 2.5L and am thoroughly pleased, it serves its purpose well, is cheap, safe, reliable and fun. It does not, however, offer best in class ride, handling, room, or styling. Im 5-7 and 145, and have no problems with front seat comfort or driving position.

~alpha
    I have a couple of questions about the 2004 Nissan Sentra 1.8 S sedan that maybe someone can answer definitively for me:

* Do you know if the 2004 Sentra 1.8 S comes equipped, standard, with Nissan's Vehicle Immobilization System, or NVIS?

(NVIS, as I understand, uses a computer chip embedded in the car keys, like a miniature radio transmitter, that allows only the proper owner to operate the car and not thieves.)

* The 2004 Sentra 1.8 S has a radio antenna located on the exterior front of the passenger side that can be removed with a wrench if necessary.

Does the antenna need to be removed before taking the car through an automated, professional car wash? Will the brushes, etc. snap off or bend out of shape the antenna?

(And if the antenna should be removed to prevent damage, what about the hole in the hood that's left? How and should it be covered before going to a professional car wash?)
    I don't think our Sentra's have the NVIS system. We also have a '01 Altima with the security alarm and it does have it, according to the dealer, and the key is different than mine. We only have keyless entry on our cars. I could be wrong about this, so if anyone else can shed some light on this issue, feel free to clarify this.
    I've never taken the antenna off before going thru the car wash and nothing has ever happened to it. It's one of those whip antennas, so I'd just leave it alone.
    Hope this helps.

• inuseinuse Member Posts: 1
    it's been since the second time i dive my new Sentra 1.8S, after I turn of the engine, i hear the leaking sound (same as my old VW Jetta), i bought the car in March, only dive it for 900 miles.
    My question is: 1.Is the leaking sound after turning of the engine normal?
    2. If not normal, would that be antifreaze problem?
    Thank you in advance for any input!
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    I wouldn't trust the fate of your antenna to a carwash. It can be bent or broken if caught by a rotating brush. Unscrewing the antenna doesn't leave a hole. It unscrews from a stud that sticks up out of the fender, so there is nothing you have to worry about covering up.
  • ed2004ed2004 Member Posts: 8
    I have a 2004 2.5S. I bought it a few months ago.
    After the engine is shut off, I still hear these
    cracking noise (like metal is expanding and contracting) for a few minutes. I figured that it was winter and it was caused by contact of cold air and hot engine. But winter has passed and it is still making these noise. The guy at the dealer said is just the engine cooling down and is normal. My old car does not make this noise. Is this normal? Thanks for your help
    I have an 03 Sentra with the same engine, and it is the loudest post turnoff car I have EVER heard. Be assured, I was told by 3 separate Nissan dealerships (I have my car serviced whenever/where its most convenient) that this was normal, not to worry, and it did not indicate any issue. If its the same noise, its like a loud cool-down popping/ticking noise, correct?

No stress. Love the car. It flies and I still get 26 MPG.

~alpha
  • nss167nss167 Member Posts: 8
    Noise you are hearing is not the engine cooling but the emissions equipment ( i.e catalytic converter etc. ) cooling down.

I hear it also in my 1.8 S and it is a normal phenomenon which happens in most cars.

Can't say however how long it will keep occuring , but I assume that it will occur less frequently as time goes on.

My 1.8 S is just over a month old and I still hear ir every once in a while.
  • ed2004ed2004 Member Posts: 8
    Thank you alpha01 and nss167 for the quick response and the help. It is the same noise. By the way, I am getting around 28mpg (it has about 3900 miles on it.) I wish the tank is a bit bigger so that I don't have to go to the gas station too often.

Ed.
    * The only key hole on the 2004 Nissan Sentra 1.8 S sedan is on the driver's side; is this a recent development on newer makes and models of today's cars?

(I find it inconvenient at times to have to unlock the driver's door to reach the glove box from the outside, unless I use the remote control key fob and unlock all the doors with it.)

* Is there an economical way to change the color of the instrument gauges like the speedometer, tachometer, fuel gauge, etc.

(I prefer some other color than the yellow-and-red color scheme and was wondering if there was a way to change it, perhaps with a different colored light bulb or overlay.)
    Yes, the missing passenger keyhole is a recent development, but only on a few cars. It's a way of saving money (one less lock cylinder to put on the car).

Changing the instrument lighting is not an easy job. I'm not sure if the Sentra uses colored bulbs but if it does (high chance it does), you would have to take the dash apart and pull out the gauges to get at the bulbs. If it uses LED bulbs, that could complicate replacement depending on how they are attached (they could be soldered in place). You could buy an aftermarket gauge cluster but that can get a little expensive and if it involves extra wiring, you are messing with your car's warranty. But yes, it is possible.
    Our car also has no keyhole on the passenger door. When we first got the car, I thought they made a mistake, but after returning to the dealership and looking at the other Altimas on the lot, I figured that the cars with the factory security alarms all had no keyholes on the passengers door.
    Interesting thing in my opinion!

Just went out and saw that my '03 Sentra GXE also has no keyhole there...it must have to do with the keyless entry and not the factory alarm as I first suspected!
    I contacted my local Nissan dealership's automotive service department, about whether the 2004 Nissan Sentra 1.8 S sedan had the "Nissan Vehicle Immobilization System," or NVIS, that some of their car models supposedly do.

I was told by the service advisor that the 2004 Nissan Sentra 1.8 S does not have NVIS. I also asked about the protruding stereo antenna, whether it should be removed from the hood with a wrench before taking it through an automated car wash.

Two of the car salesmen I asked told me they thought the antenna did not need to be removed prior and could withstand going through the car wash without being damaged or being bent out of shape.

However the same dealership's automobile service advisor, who takes care of oil changes, etc., advised me differently; this is what he had to say:

"Yes, the antenna should be removed before going through automatic car washes. The small area that it leaves uncovered is not effected be the wash process, and any water that gets into the small recess gets pushed out when the antenna is screwed back in. However it is recommended that the end of the antenna remain lubricated with a small amount of grease, anti-seize, or equivalent. In the event the antenna, or any other component, is damaged during an automatic wash, it is not covered by warranty. This is because it is not a manufacture defect or premature wear that caused the damage, but the abnormal environment of an automatic wash."
  • lgoldinlgoldin Member Posts: 90
    I have my Sentra SE for more than 3 years and never removed antenna before going through car wash. Antenna is indeed strong enough to withstand it. However area surrounding antenna remains washed only by water.
    Also I am not sure about newer products, but 3 years ago only SE version of Sentra had NVIS. XE and GXE which are equivalent to 1.8 and 1.8s - did not.
    I saw in the newspaper some dealers are advertising a really low price as $10495 for a brand new 2004 1.8S AT. But I know many people paid much more than that. Is there any trick in the dealer's advertisement? Just curious.
  • crestomancicrestomanci Member Posts: 3
    Hey y'all - I will be in the market for an economy sedan soon, and was wondering when the next redesign for the Sentra will be? Thanks!
    Welcome! The Sentra is the last of Nissans cars to be redesigned under direction of his majesty, Carlos Ghosn. It is expected to be related to the European Renault Megane, a well regarded small/compact car thats seeems to sell well over there. I think we'll see the next Sentra next Spring, possibly February or March. I dont think it will be here this Fall, although anythings possible.

~alpha
    Yeah, it's fine. Same thing here. In fact, I get the exact same three clicks without fail at the same time each time I turn it off. It's kind of comforting now...
    Thats strange. I have keyholes on both sides. I don't see why you would only have one on one side. I'd compare it to other Sentra's.
    I'm not sure. I doubt it. The 2004's are about to end because the 2005's (if they come out with one) would be starting by August. I was the first person in Northern Illinois to buy my Sentra, a mere few days after the 2004's were delivered, and I paid $15,000 (full price). I bet he/she's trying to get rid of his/her cars before the new ones come in.
    If your Sentra does not have keyless entry, it will have two keyholes. Or, it might be a model year thing. All Sentras now produced with keyless do NOT have two keyholes. Its normal.

~alpha
    You're right. I checked again, and I only have one keyhole. Funny, I thought I had two, but I don't. Oh well, I use the keyless entry whenever i need to get in. I don't think I've actually ever used the key...
  • carcar Member Posts: 4
    Hi,

I have a quote from a dealer for $11000.00 Check if the dealer is talking about a trade in or cash advance on the car. Also let me know where this dealer is located. I may also be interested in checking this out. You may also need to check that he is giving you the car you desire with all options
  • sdavenportsdavenport Member Posts: 2
    Just a comment to add to the mix: I have been buying my own cars for almost 20 years and have never been more disappointed in a car than my most recent purchase of a 2003 Sentra. I dislike the handling, the shifting, the noise, the locks, the CD player, the gas cap - even the driver's seat is no longer satisfactory. I've owned Nissans before and expected to like this one just as much. Live and learn, I guess. :(
    And I'm sorry you dislike your Sentra. But did you not try before you bought? Handling characteristics, shifting, noise, and drivers seat comfort should have been observable on a 10 min. test drive. What was your prior car? For my money, I couldnt be happier with my 2.5LE.

~alpha
    To be fair, you can't tell whether you like a car completely simply with a short test drive; for example, I discovered I'm not fond of the yellow-red color scheme of the instrument cluster-gauges but not until much later and having driven the car at night.

(I read tons of reviews on this website and others, looked at many photographs of the interior and exterior of cars, before even thinking about test driving the car at a dealership.

None of them mentioned the color scheme of the instrument cluster of the Sentra or even suggested test driving after dark, to see how easy it is to remember or reach the cabin controls in the dark, while driving for example.)

And other things, like the driver's side-only keyhole you may never even think of if you've been driving the same car for years, until you take a very close look and realize after talking to others it's a recent development or trend in newer models, cars.
    Yes, I understand that. Thats why I picked out specific items that were on the list of pans that are easily observable from a test drive. Take a car out for 10 to 15 mins, and you can pretty much tell if it accelerates, shifts, and sounds to your standards. I'll concede drivers seat comfort- as a short stint is very different from a long haul in the saddle... but the other issues... are difficult to mask in a test drive of any substance.

~alpha
  • sdavenportsdavenport Member Posts: 2
    Yes, I test drove it - twice, but I should have taken it overnight or in adverse weather (there's the biggest lesson I learned). My previous car was a 1999 Altima and I was very satisfied with it and when I felt the need to get a newer car I automatically went back to the same dealer. I had expected some of the same qualities in the updated, brand new Sentra, but it just hasn't lived up to my expectations. I took it back three times in the first six weeks and get getting told that I just needed to "get used to it" because it was a brand new car. I should like it, but the litany of little things that annoy me have added up to a rather persistent pain in the neck. I know that Nissan can make a good car - I've driven several. I glad to know there are lots of happy drivers out there. By the way, on a recent browse through Comsumer reports, the Sentra was listed on the 'least satisfied' list. :( Lesson learned: take a prospective purchase home overnight and/or test drive in less than perfect weather conditions.
    Your quote sounds attractive. I called that dealer and they said that price $10495 has expired since the $2500 rebate has been changed to $2000 in this month. They gave me a new quote as $11995, much higher than your quote. BTW, where are you and which dealer is it?
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    I moved your inquiry about the SE-R Spec V to our Nissan Sentra SE-R/SE-R Spec V discussion. It had been inactive for a few months, but I reopened it.

You might also want to look up the Tiburon discussions - welcome, and good luck!
  • jamesntexasjamesntexas Member Posts: 3
    Well, I had posted a previous message a few weeks ago discribing my small problems I had been having with my Sentra. It is a 5speed with 1.8 4 cylinder. My service engine soon light kept coming on. Good news. Took it to the dealer and they did some recall work on it and it took care of the problem. They also fixed 2 other problems that fell into the warranty. Thankgoodness I didnt have to pay anything. The customer service was great. I was out of the dealership 45 minutes later. My gas pedal still sticks for some reason every now and then so I will address that another time. I dont feel so bad now. I was worried that my new purchase was a mistake. I think this will be a good car. Glad its still under warranty for 5 more months. I have been getting a lot of compliments on it lately. Everyone at work cant believe how nice it is inside and out. I love the fog lights. I'm interested in how other owners 2002 sentras are holding up.
  • cargeekishcargeekish Member Posts: 5
    Hey, I walked into the Nissan Dealership yesterday and was looking for a cheap car with basic safety features. The salesman showed me the 1.8 S version of the Sentra. It DOES NOT have ABS, Side Airbags or anything like that. It does have keyless entry, cd, air, etc. The MSRP of that was about 15,200 or so but with a 2500 rebate they were asking for about 12,700. On top of that I get a IBM discount and a College Grad. discount which brought it down to about 11,900. The salesman told me that he cant go lower then that but after haggling with the guy for 2 hours or so i got him down to about 11,700. My goal was to buy for 11,500 without checking this site but after I did, i saw people buying for like 10750 or so. So I am wondering if I am getting ripped off or is it a good deal for a Nissan Sentra to be about 11,700?
    Did you get the Road Trip Package or any other package for the $11,700. price?

• cargeekishcargeekish Member Posts: 5
    I dont think so. What is included in the Road Trip package? I cant remember all the details because on that day i looked and test drove over 20 different cars. Makes the mind go insane lol.
    Why do not you go to the dealship where sold the car for 10,750 to buy it with your special rebates? That should make it 10,000 even. What a deal!
  • shml123456shml123456 Member Posts: 1
    I tried the manual transmission and the shift stick is shaking. Is it normal ? I tried corolla, civic and no such thing ?
    I think it adds the 180 watt 7 speaker stereo, cruise, a leather wrapped steering wheel and leather wrapped shifter in the manual 1.8s.
    The '03's didn't have leather wrapped anything, would've liked it though.

• fuzzy1fuzzy1 Member Posts: 1
    Just got a new '04 Sentra 1.8S. (Excellent car for the money)

It seems a bit more noisy when driving at highway speeds than I anticipated (even with a test drives). Just wondering if anyone knows or thinks it may quiet down some as it breaks in. Had a '91 Honda Accord w/ 190,000 miles on it, even with that many miles (and a few mech. probs.) it was still quieter than the Sentra. And even at 13 years old it is still way more car than the Sentra. Don't get me wrong I love the peppy little car, I guess I had just grown accustom to my Honda. It's hard to give 'em up when they've given that many years of dependable service.

Also the mileage seems a bit low only about 29 mpg average (350 mi's on the Odometer). I expected a little better, I was getting 30 all the time with my old Accord.

Just looking for feedback.. hope to get 10 years of good service out of this Sentra.. based on the postings I've read this probably won't be a problem...
  • pathy04pathy04 Member Posts: 27
    I have a 03 sentra GXE about 10 months old,
    how can i add ABS brakes.

do i need to take it to the dealership or is it something that can be done at any place?

-Thanks
  • tomcat630tomcat630 Member Posts: 854
    Seems like Nissan dealers are afraid of ABS, alomst every car ordered doesn't have it!

I went to a few Mazda dealers and they have a good selection of 6's and 3's with an ABS package.
    ABS can't be added to a car that never had it.
  • pathy04pathy04 Member Posts: 27
    Thanks for the info. I had an accident(not much damage), but happened due to break Jam, the roads are too bad here in TN

Are there any fine-tuning that can be done for the braking, like a better brake pad from after market etc..