Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Sentra 2006 and earlier

Comments

• dlancerdlancer Member Posts: 9
    Recently I want to buy a brand new compact car. The choice has been narrowed down between sentra 1.8s and corolla LE (base model). I can't go with CE because it does not have ABS option in Canada.

With the cash rebate of Nissan, price of LE is around 20% more expensive than 1.8s. But I really worry about the the safety features of sentra.

From the NHTSA's: 04 corolla is 5/5 (frontal crash) and 4/5 (side impact); while sentra is 4/5 (front) and 2/5 (side impact). and IIHS gives corolla all "good" rating(top), and sentra "acceptable" only.

Even with additional safety package (side impact airbags, abs), 1.8s is still way much cheaper than the LE base model(no side impact airbag). Should I spend a couple of thousands more for LE, or settle on 1.8s?

Thanks for your input.
  • ottomaticottomatic Member Posts: 12
    I guess whether you should buy the Toyota vs. the Sentra model depends in part how safe or good a driver you are; from a personal standpoint, I've been only in one "major accident" in many, many years of driving.

So based on my personal driving record, I opted to forgo some of the (more expensive) safety features in more expensive trims and went without side impact and ABS for example; also there is some debate as to how effective ABS really is.

(According to stories I've read, ABS allows you to control the car better during skids in cold weather climates, but their effectiveness is reduced because studies show most drivers don't know how to use them; you don't "pump" the brake like you used to.)

Before you automatically assume that the Sentra is "cheaper" than the Corolla, your auto insurance premiums may be lower with the Corolla than the Sentra because the Corolla has a better NHTSA safety rating, as you point out.

You also should research the Sentra 1.8S and the Corolla LE's "True-Cost-to-Own" on the Edmunds.com website, which factors in the actual cost of the vehicle considering expected depreciation, insurance, maintenance, fuel, etc. and not just purchase price.
    Thanks for your quick reply.

According to the TCO rating on Edmunds, LE is even lower than sentra 1.8s. However, toyota dealers in quebec are using "access toyota" price for all toyota vehicles. No bargain, no discount. Same price anywhere. A base model corolla LE goes with CAD 26K+ (6.2% interest) after tax, and a 1.8s plus safety package can go lower than 22K.

The question confused me is, which model/option NHTSA tested on corolla and sentra? I can't imagine how sentra with side air bag get only 2/5 (side impact), and Corolla got 4/5, (only the top option of LE has side air bag, and that brings the whole price 30K+, even higher than Camry LE).

The funny thing I am thinking is, if they tested the corolla with LE + side air bag option, and I buy a LE base model. I'd be spending money on nowhere. I don't consider much of the residual/resale value of cars, since I may keep it for a long time.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Im not a big fan of the NHTSA ratings for side impact, because they do not account for Head Injury rating.

One thing to note is that the Side Airbags available for the Sentra are seat mounted units that protect the head and chest. For 2004, the Corolla also offers a seat mounted unit, but it protects only the chest, and offers no additional protection for the head. If you're considering a 2005 Corolla, it will offer side impact curtains, which protect the heads of the occupants front and rear, and also the same seat mounted unit to protect front passengers' chests.

Confusing? Im sorry, I tried to be clear and detailed, but sometimes thats hard to accomplish.

Personally, Id probably take ABS over side airbags if I had to choose between the two, and you can bet your knickers I wouldnt buy a car without ABS. The added steering control and the assurance that your wheels will not lock is an insurance policy of sorts. ABS has not taken off, as noted above, because of the people who do not understand its intentions or how it works. Some people continue to believe that ABS is intended to make the car stop shorted. Not so. Shorter stops in wet conditions are indeed a result of ABS, but the real benefit is the steering control I mentioned. There are some situations, including sheet ice, that ABS will likely extend your stopping distance.

Back to Corolla vs. Sentra. The Corolla is newer, and based on all the crash tests Ive seen, it has a stronger safety cage. However, at least in terms of the side impact, the Sentras offering of head protection for a lower price may be more than enough to offset this.

Bottom line: Whether you go Sentra w/ ABS& Side Airbags, or Corolla w/ ABS but no airbags, I think you're getting a very safe small car. Would I personally buy either without ABS? No. Would I buy a Sentra without side impact protection? Probably not.

Hope that helps!
    ~alpha

PS- my current car is a '03 Sentra 2.5LE, which is equivalent to the '04 2.5S.
    Hey alpha, that is indeed a very clear explanation. Thanks!

Yes, I agree with you on the importance of ABS. So corolla CE is out of question. For the 05 model's side curtain airbag, which is only available on LE, is also hard to reach because of its sheer price (almost 30K).

For a LE w/o side air bag, I guess your opinion is, sentra is comparable with it with the side air bag option. So, generally speaking, they are almost equal on safety features, aren't they?

One of my friends suggested me go SE-R with safety package since it's only $2.5K more than 1.8s, and $2K less than a LE. I think it's kinda like 2.5S(not available in Canada). May I share your opinion/experience on it? Does it have better safety features than 1.8s?

Thanks again.
  • ed2004ed2004 Member Posts: 8
    I notice something this week that I haven't notice before on my 2.5S. When the air conditioning is on AND when the car is stationary (such as at the light), I can really feel the steering wheel vibrating. If I turn off the air conditioning, the vibration is gone. When the car is in motion, the vibration is gone. The car has 6000 miles. Is this normal? Thanks a lot.

P.S. The steering always vibrate when I start the car, stay like that for about a couple of minute. I assume this is normal.
    It's been my experience, and I believe I've read, that when the air conditioning is being used in any car, it puts an added strain on the car and reduces gas mileage.

I used to own a Honda Accord and I swore, for whatever reasons, I had a more difficult time braking or getting the car to stop with the A/C on than when it was off, and I seem to recall that the car shuddered, vibrated more as well.

Now driving a Sentra 1.8S, I notice again a slight increase in engine noise when the A/C is on, like the car has to work harder; however I do not notice a significant vibration of the steering wheel. (But your 2.5S is more powerful, different than my 1.8S.)

I've also read steering wheel vibration may be a sign of trouble with your tires, like they may need balancing, alignment, rotation, etc. but since your symptom disappears based on whether the A/C is on or not, it's probably not tire related.

(If anyone else can enlighten us on this topic of A/C and steering wheel vibration, I'd be interested as well.)
    ottomatic-

"Now driving a Sentra 1.8S, I notice again a slight increase in engine noise when the A/C is on, like the car has to work harder; however I do not notice a significant vibration of the steering wheel. (But your 2.5S is more powerful, different than my 1.8S.)

I've also read steering wheel vibration may be a sign of trouble with your tires, like they may need balancing, alignment, rotation, etc. but since your symptom disappears based on whether the A/C is on or not, it's probably not tire related."

The increase in engine noise is likely due to the sound of the extra cooling fan kicking on. Theres also the A/C compressor, which may be causing the vibration that ed2004 is experiencing. (When the compressor is on, the engine idles higher, which may lead to the steering wheel vibration- the engine resonates differently at different RPM). While you are correct that tires may cause steering wheel vibration, note also that the vibration in question occurs when the car is at a stop, which to me is a bigger factor that rules out tires as the cause of vibration in this case, as compared to the A/C being switched on.

dlancer- Im not sure why you think the SE-R with a safety package would be safer than a 1.8S with the same equipment. If you can find a 1.8S with side airbags and ABS, get it. The SE-R will swig fuel compared to the 1.8. If youre not about the added power, you're wasting your (hard-earned) money, IMO.

~alpha
    Hi Ottomatic and alpha01,

Thank so much for the help.

Ed.
    Thanks a ton, Alpha. Your posts did help a lot!

I saw some ppl complains the reliability of sentras (seemed they are made in Mexico), trip computer, engine noise, ignition... Does Nissan only make their bigger sedan well enough?
    I'd also have some inputs on the luxury package of 1.8s (road trip in states, I guess),with alloy wheels, 7 speakers instead of 4, leather wrapped steering wheel and map lights... For the extra $1,500, is it worthy? TIA
    I don't think it is worth it. It came with my 2.5S. For the road trip, the only feature that I use is the MPG counter. The speaker is good. Only use the map light once. Leather wrapped steering wheel is very nice. Personally, I would't buy it but then again I am cheap. The reason that I bought the 2.5S instead of 1.8S is that I want the safty features and the only 1.8S that they had came with sunroof and the luxury package. So the difference between these 1.8S and the 2.5S without sunroof is around $300.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    There are some aftermarket performance brake pads that can help your car stop a little faster, but they won't keep your brakes from locking. One of the best upgrades you can do is add grippier performance tires. The more grip your tires have, the quicker your car will stop and the brakes won't lock up as easily.
    While driving around in a 2004 Nissan Sentra 1.8S recently, on a sunny day, I noticed something disturbing.

Because the sun was out, I was wearing clip-on sunglasses over my prescription eyeglasses, and I had the windows up and the A/C on.

When I happen to look at the driver's side and passenger-side car windows, there appeared to be some uneven, patchy discoloration -- a dark, brownish film with nickel-sized gaps.

When I took off my polorized, clip-on sunglasses, I couldn't see the discoloration anymore.

As far as I know, the side windows of the Sentra didn't come with factory-installed car window tinting and even so, that doesn't explain the uneven "film" I saw.

(I don't believe it's dirt on the window that I saw, given the fact that I wash the car on a regular basis and how much area of the window the discoloration covered.)

Anyone notice the same thing, on a sunny day, wearing sunglasses? If so, what's causing it, is it a problem and what can or should be done about it?...
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    That could have been the oily haze formed by the new plastics releasing gas when heated up. New cars tend to do this for the first month or so, depending on how new the car is and the quality of the plastic. If it wasn't that, then I have no idea what it could have been.
  • zinkentierzinkentier Member Posts: 2
    I have a 94 Sentra limited which, when purchased (winter 2004) had 56000 on it. It now has 59k. My gas mileage is rather poor and i'm a bit concerned and unsure why. I will get anywhere from 20 to 26 mpg on a tank. Is poor gas mileage a characteristic of the car or is there a problem somewhere?
  • turboshadowturboshadow Member Posts: 338
    I just purchased a 2002 Senta GXE, 1.8/5spd. After I shut the car down, I hear a whining, high pitched noise from the back of the car for a few minutes. It sounds like the fuel pump,but is it normal for it to run a few minutes after shutdown?
  • customerxcustomerx Member Posts: 6
    I was wondering if anyone else has/ had this issue. I have a Nissan Sentra 2000 which I purchased new from the same dealer that my aunt purchased her car from and my gradmother before that. The dealer is family owned and so is the associated service center.

Well late June the car wouldn't start. the service center says it's the computer. The part hasn't come in for a week. The service center says it's on back order. Another week goes by and the service center has no ETA. They won't provide a loaner. I call nissan consumer. Another week goes by, no call backs, no loaner, no part ETA. So now it's a month later and Nissan tells me the ETA is Week of August 28th.

I have to pay out of pocket for a rental- for over 2 months- because the part is on back order.

Okay so it's only a Sentra but do they realize I will never buy a Nissan again? Does the service guys understand that I will never take the car there again or buy a car from them? I guess I just wonder what ever happened to customer service.

Does anyone have any ideas on how or if I have any way to get a loaner or recoup my costs for the rental?
    I used to work for a sunglass company about 4 years ago. having not been in the industry for sometime I really don't recall all the very technical information but while polorized sunglasses are sold for driving there were some serious issues. Issues such as the one you described as well as the ability to see water on the road.
    You need to keep calling Nissan customer service to state your frustration, and ask them if there is anyway they could aid you in your situation. Tell them that you have been very satisfied with their product besides this issue (even if this isnt wholly true). Ask them to meet you halfway, at least, on the cost of the rental car. Ask them how the backorder could possibly take so long. Ask them why/if a computer can be pulled from a totaled Sentra and installed (I have NO IDEA if this is even feasible, its just an idea) Is the OB Computer considered part of the powertrain warranty? If so, are you still under warranty?

my .02

hope it helps, good luck
    ~alpha
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    Just a warning guys. The brake light switch on my '03 GXE went bad the other night and I had no brake lights. I knew something was strange when the center brake light did not reflect in the back window wednesday night. Who really knows how long the lights didn't work, for I've been home on a job related injury since June 1st and haven't driven the car at night since then.
    The service writer was very shocked that the brake light switch failed on a car with 12.8k miles on it. He ordered a new part and the mechanic rigged the bad sensor to work until the new part comes in from Jacksonville so at least I'll have functioning brake lights.
    The fun of car ownership. Luckily Nissan is handling this as a warranty issue and my service writer is a pretty nice guy.

The Sandman :-(
    If I recall correctly, there should be contact names and numbers in the documentation you should have received when you got your vehicle -- stuff like owner's guide/manual, warranty booklet, etc. -- that lists who you can complain to.

Supposedly in the documentation, Nissan states customer satisfaction ranks high in their mission and purposely lists company representatives at the regional, district, etc. level who you can contact to resolve the unfair and poor treatment you are getting from your local car dealer.

Like someone said earlier in this discussion, I encourage you and Nissan, the automaker, supposedly does, too, to voice your complaints and keep going up the "food chain" of Nissan management until the matter is resolved to your satisfaction.
    The part finally arrived on saturday morning and had it put in saturday afternoon. All is well with the GXE now. Very relieved to have brake lights again.
    Now, if I could only get the gas mileage up a bit, I'd be a real happy camper. I still am pleased with the way the car rides, very smooth with the 15" wheels on it.

The Sandman :-)
    Because it's summertime, I started using the air conditioning on the 2004 Nissan Sentra 1.8S more regularly.

I noticed the A/C makes a sort of wet "gurgling" sound when it's in use and shortly after; this may be a silly question, but is that normal?

(The only reason I mentioned it or ask was I don't remember such a noise on the previous car I drove.)
    I just calculated the mpg on my 2002 GXE 5spd. I was kinda disappointed that it was 20mpg. Granted, this was all in town driving and I do have a tendency towards hard (well spirited is probably a better word) acceleration, but still....

I just filled the tank and am now making 100 mile round trips on the highway, so pretty soon I'll have numbers on that too.

BTW, is it normal for the fuel pump to rn a few minutes after the car is turned off? I notice a whin coming from that location for a few minutes after shutdown.

Turboshadow
    I just wanted everyone to have an update. I contacted all the #s in the manual- nissan consumer complaints & nissan BBB. Nissan consumer says "it's been escalated to the parts coordinator", all supervisors are out (really they said that to me) and the parts coordinator can assist. The parts coordinator says ETA is week of August 28th (over two months later). He says that he won't tell me if Nissan will pay for the rental ($ 250/ week) until the part arrives. they may pay they may not pay. He didn't have a manager to speak with me and now he won't call me back.

I've never in my life (well no I work for ATT and I've seen ATT miss treat customers like this). I am trying to get the car fixed so I can sell it and buy a new car. I really don't want to but I don't have any other alternative. I am afraid something else will happen. I certainly will not buy a Nissan.
    Damn...that's no way for Nissan to treat customers, sorry to hear you've had such a miserable experience with the automanufacturer, but thanks for enlightening us.

If you haven't already and feel inclined to, you could try your local Better Business Bureau or state's Attorney General's office, who may be able to put some pressure.

I'm always amazed when businesses, companies mistreat their customers -- don't they know bad p.r., even word of mouth, is more damaging to them then they can imagine?...

Maybe your treatment by Nissan is an isolated incident; for other Nissan owners' sake, I hope so. But it's best if Nissan owners and drivers like yourself share their experiences, good and bad, so we call all learn from them....
    I've already contacted the BBB. I actually purchased a new car yesterday- not a nissan. This experience certainly may be an isolated experience but everyone from the sales folks at the dealer, the service center, to Nissan consumer has told me that I am out of luck because i didn't purchase an extended warranty (but since I am past even that warranty of 60K miles- I have 82K) it is what it is. Who would think that a part would be on back order for aprox 3 months. Now when I purchased my new car I got a 100K bumper to bumper warranty

Anyone need a 2000 Nissan sentra GXE 82K miles- fair condition. I will say this is the only problem I have ever experienced. If someone wants to deal with fixing it (part is on order) I'll sell it under cost (just to get over this) and they can make an easy profit.
    2002GXE with 5spd got 31.5 in all highway driving. I really figured it would be a bit higher....

Turboshadow
  • erik26erik26 Member Posts: 1
    My new (350 mile only)2004 sentra 1.8S rear door window rattles along with the interior part of door when I try to bring the window down.
    ( the interior cover jerks when I opearate to bring the glass down)

Any suggestions....
  • mmx6mmx6 Member Posts: 18
    Do any of you guys have annoyingly grabby brakes? This complaint has been lodged against the G35 a million times, and I've heard one mention of it on the 2000+ Sentra. After a few weeks of driving my 95 200SX SE-R (Sentra) in a brake-heavy commute, my knees have been killing me ever since from all that leg lifting needed for smooth braking. One explanation is that the pedal itself is mounted too high. In my car, I measured the pedal's surface being over 5 inches above the ground surface it's perpendicular to. Is that a lot?

Can anything be done to make brakes less touchy, or is this one of those fixed engineering designs we're stuck with for the life of the car? Can we buy an aftermarket pedal that's angled differently, or better yet, simply adjust ours so the default position is lower?

Here's the Sentra article that mentioned the habit:
    http://www.roadandtravel.com/roadtests/ltrelationship/nissan_sent- ra3.htm
    Just to let everyone know. I STILL DON'T HAVE THE PART! Nissan keeps telling me oh it shipped it will be there next week and then next week and then next week. This part has been on order since the end of June. I am gonna be near 4 months soon. What is going on. Has anyone ever heard of this before? I think they have some serious inventory & shipping issues and now my wallett is getting hit. I can't believe Nissan would treat someone like this.
    Brought the car in last week, and they said 22 mpg in the city is acceptable. Even called Nissan...and they basically blew me off. This will be my last Nissan product. To bad to, we love our '01 Altima, it seems to get better mpg's with the bigger engine.
    Have already done the Toyota thing, guess we'll try Honda next time!
    Rented a '04 Grand Am last week in New Hampshire and drove it down to Baltimore...not a bad car actually. Comfortable and the mpg's were great for a 6 cylinder car. With all the hills I encountered in Westchester, it didn't miss a beat. It hauled a-s to! Didn't care for the funky red dash lights though. Would actually consider buying one in the future!!

I just went to Nissan's website and noticed they have info. about the new 2005 Sentra, but I didn't take the time to read it all.

I did take their virtual reality, 360-degree tour of the interior-exterior of the 2005 model, but didn't notice any differences from the 2004.

Anyone know how long the 2005 Sentra has been out, available? And what are the more important design, specs. changes from the 2004 model?
    Noteable: the 2.5S model is dropped. There is a 1.8S package that adds the 16 inch alloys from the SE-R (NON Spec-V), as well as rear spoiler, and a few other things. Cruise control and trip computer now standard on the 1.8S. The 1.8 model gets the upper console compartment and body color door handles that used to be available only on the GXE/1.8S. Getting ABS and Side Airbags on the 1.8S requires checking off most if not all options boxes, but that is nothing new with the Sentra line.

Finally, somewhat of a surprise: the next-gen Sentra wont be available until what appears to be calendar year 2006: (taken from www.nissannews.com)

"The Nissan Sentra will continue to be Nissan’s core entry in the compact passenger car market in North America. It will be re-engineered to meet consumer demands for a stylish, economical and performance-oriented small car. The next generation of the all-new Nissan Sentra will be introduced in 2006."

Thats a bit too long for this model. By that time, the car will be seriously lacking in rear-seat room, refinement, interior convenience, and fuel efficiency. Its a good little car for the money, and I love my 2.5LE, but without the option of that model (or the 2.5S) I would have probably by-passed the Nissan dealership.

~alpha
    Okay so to be a fair person I figured I should let you know how it turned out. The part arrived yesterday and the dealer fixed the car right away. I am picking up the car tonight. The dealer didn't cut be a brake- aprox $800.00 for the part and instal, but Nissan is sending me a check for the 4 weeks I had a rental (Minus taxes). So at least I am getting something $760.00 from Nissan. Mind you the rental wasn't that much because I bought a new car in August. However, at least I got something from Nissan- I suppose they could have gave me nothing at all. Although they should have paid for my rental all along. 3 1/2 parts waiting for a part with out a commitment from Nissan that they would pay for anything and paying insurance on a car that didn't drive for that time was/ is aweful. I still won't ever buy a Nissan again but by paying me I may not tell as many people about it anymore.
  • aitchpee44aitchpee44 Member Posts: 16
    After hearing this story I think I will stay away from Nissan. I was planning on buying an Altima but I think I will look at Honda for my next car. Thanks for sharing your story customerx.
    HP
    Do you think Honda is any different? They have an even worse warranty and reputation for service than Nissan. (check out the JD Power rankings for dealer/service satisfaction... Toyota and Honda occupy the bottom).

The key in purchasing any Honda/Toyota/Nissan is to do a little research and find a dealership that will truly support its customer base. Having a dealer that will work with you through any issues, including getting corporate attention, is very important. For the named makes, find good dealers can be hard.

~alpha
  • aitchpee44aitchpee44 Member Posts: 16
    Alpha, I've never had any problems with the Honda dealer I currently use for maintenance on my '95 Accord EX. Of course I haven't had any problems with the car like cusomerx had. The only dealings I had in fixing my '98 4Runner was semi-bad. My warrenty went out the first week in January and I tried to have the antenna motor fixed near the end of January. The Toyota dealer at first refused to fix it under warranty but relented and met me half way with the cost of repair when I gave them a poor rating on their questionaire. I have since changed dealerships for maintenance work.
    I was very impressed with the Altima when I had one for a rental car for 10 days.
    Thanks for your imput Alpha, I do value your opinion.
    HP
  • pageripperpageripper Member Posts: 2
    I recently purchase a used 2004 Nissan Sentra, still under warranty. Now, when i drove it home, everything was great. But as notice, when i would drive it hard, or would greater need for acceleration, ex:like passing car's or merging. After i would arrive at my destination and let the car sit, then go back out to the car and try to start it, it would try to start, chug and chug, so i would stop, and try again, and with a little more chuggin it would finally start. Now, it only does this when i driver at higher speeds. Doesn't effect it when i'm driving around town or anything like that. Now i had my local dealership look at it, and they found nothing wrong with it, but it has to be something wrong. I spoke to a mechanic i know, and he said it sounded like a fuel problem.
    So i was wonder if you guys have idea or suggestions, so maybe i could point somebody in the right direction, or check it out myself.Because i do not want to be stranded somewhere if this thing gets worse.
  • nismotuned3nismotuned3 Member Posts: 4
    Since it's under warranty, that's good. Try another Nissan dealership nearby, maybe another dealer may find the problem. Maybe if you own a "1.8S or 1.8" you shouldn't really rev it up, those 2 models aren't exactly made for performance/racing. I own a '02 Sentra SE-R Spec-V and rev up to 6500 RPMs all the time, but I don't get the "chug-chug" problem like you. Well, hope Nissan finds the problem.
  • pageripperpageripper Member Posts: 2
    Well, its been in the shop for the second time as of today. Dealership wasn't able to "duplicate" the problem, all they did was adjust some air flow regulator or something along that lines. So far it seems ok. But i haven't been out since i brought it home from the dealership. I spoke to another mechanic i know, and he said it sounded like a fuel issue. Seeing that the main time it happens is when i drive at higher speeds, as in on the freeway or passing cars, not being a rally racer or anything like that, its a 1.8S , so i know it has limits as towards speed and all that. But it still should have troubles starting after i come out and try starting it after its been sitting for 30mins or more. Oh, and another thing, the MPG has gone down, the model is supposed to be getting 28-35mpg, but i check it last couple of times I've been filling up, and I've been getting 26-28 mpg... now that really made me think it was some kind of fuel issue... so I'm really confused, so i hope that maybe this trip to the dealership today fixed it. If not, I'm about ready to take it to my own mechanic; voided warranty or not!
    My mileage is no where near what the EPA says. Dealer checked it out, and all is within specs. Wish I had bought the Corolla!

• nismotuned3nismotuned3 Member Posts: 4
    Well, i've talked to a few mechanics out there about EPA. Sentra's supposed to get 28/35 or something like that, i get mileage like that of a V6 SUV lol! It's in the style of driving, if you're a high-revving happy driver like me, don't be surprised about your gas mileage. But if you're the calm and steady driver, not going past 3000 RPMs, then i would assume there's something wrong lol. (Don't forget, sometimes brand name gasoline makes a difference)
  • carzzzcarzzz Member Posts: 282
    It is almost totally impossible to get the EPA value! I drive, with light foot, in which many will cut ahead, and keep rmp under 2500, what it kill it is the stop-and-go, if you stop all the traffic light (red), the mileage will be crazy! Also, the tire pressure is @ the right amount! If you get 26-28, on "pure city" driving, is very impressive, my mileage with 80% highway driving is slightly higher than EPA city! lol... try hard to work on your MPG
  • pfinnellpfinnell Member Posts: 1
    Otto,
    I like my 2004 Sentra, for the most part. Bought it in February 2004 and as of Nov. 10, I have 26K on it. It is in the shop right now, bad right front suspension, trunk lock assembly and poor gas mileage. I track all my miles and average 29mpg with a 1.8L where the EPA sticker says it should be 35mpg - never got it. With 26K in 8 months, you can be assured it is not city driving. I was told by the service manager that 29 was not unreasonable. I countered that a 20% reduction is unreasonable. If you are buying for mileage, take a closer look at Honda or Toyota - forget Nissan, whether 2005 or not. I got hoodwinked, never again.
    You "average" 29MPG. Those are your exact words. If thats the average, you have lower MPGs and higher MPGs in there. I'm sorry, but with regards to MPG, its caveat emptor, as the EPA cycles are very very defined conditions. If you were truly buying for mileage, you would have surely noticed the Corolla's significantly higher MPG (3-4 gallons per mile), and gone that route. Im sorry, but I do have to agree that 29 MPG average is not a problem in your vehicle.

~alpha
    Having had 2 Corollas previously, a '88 FX and a '96 DX, I will agree that Toyota's are top notch when it comes to higher mileage in their automatics. 3 to 4 higher mpg's are actually about right. I've finally resolved myself to this fact and am enjoying driving my Sentra GXE now. It rides like a much bigger car, and the brakes beat Toyota hands down.
    With only 2 problems which were fixed under warranty, the car has been very reliable in the 1 1/2 years of ownership. And my kids really like driving it. So far, it's met it's desired purpose for our family, a cheap to keep and own vehicle. It does what it's supposed to do!

The Sandman :-)
    Glad to hear you're happy. I love my 2.5LE. Poor cupholders and a tight back seat are my main complaints. You definitely hit the nail on the head.... Nissan's brakes offer a much better pedal feel to me than do comparable Toyota's (though the Corolla pedal and capability with ABS are actually quite decent)

~alpha
  • 6020160201 Member Posts: 6
    I saw an ad in the paper for a new 2005 1.8S automatic for 9,995 at Nissan dealership in chicagoland, is this a real offer, or just to get me to the dealership.