Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Sentra 2006 and earlier

Comments

• mrdipstickmrdipstick Member Posts: 1
    A Nissan service bulleting says that it can often be removed by using a shopvac to suck it out of the tube.

http://www.infinitihelp.com/Ownership/Bulletins/Nissan/2004/NTB04-140.htm

That brought it closer for me, but it did not get it out.

I used an unsharpened pencil with a drop of superglue on the end to bring the dipstick up as high as it would go (pulled it hard and fast). It stopped and the pencil broke free, but it stayed put about an inch or so from the tope of the diptube. I was then able to drill a small hole into the plastic so that I could then turn a deck screw (or drywall screw or any other type of self-tapping screw) into the plastic a couple of turns. The screw held on well enough that I could pull it out the rest of the way.

The dealer wanted $275 to drop the oil pan. He acted like he had not even heard of the Tech service bulletin. (I think he had). Or else he was going to pull it out like I did and charge me for the oilpan removal. He said the dipsticks did not break that often, but the parts counter man said that a lot of people are buying replacements because they have borken dipsticks.

The said part is that they sell you the same cheapo dipstick....no improvement!
  • bullybully Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2004 sentra and the service engine light comes on @ 10 K, isnt this light related to the general service intervals designed into the ecu system. if so how do u reset it after u have DIY oil change etc.
  • windamwindam Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1996 sentra that stopped running while I was turning left. It shuddered and shook and then the warning lights all came on (brake, oil, check engine, etc ... ). To get it to the mechanic, whenever we were stopped, we put the car in neutral and stepped on the accelerator to keep the engine running. The mechanic ran diagnostics. It turns out it was the EGR valve. He replaced the valve it is fine. The valve cost around $200 to replace.
    The valve is about the size of a cup.

Hope this helps.
  • baylentheskybaylenthesky Member Posts: 4
    Hi all, I know this is a Sentra forum, but I did not get any reply from the 200SX forum, besides, my car is essentially a Sentra :D .
    Anyway, the problem is with a bad resistor, I could replace it myself, but I have no idea where it is located. I was advised that it should be somewhere underneath the glove compartment, but when I looked underneath I saw several bolts that I don't know which is which. Would the resistor be behind something or would it be directly in view? Thanks!
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    You might also post in our Got a Quick, Technical Question? discussion - I'll bet someone there will have a suggestion.
  • superlossuperlos Member Posts: 1
    This problem just happened to me 20 minutes ago at an oil change place. they could not get the dipstick out of the tube however, and they had to take the entire tube out in order to get the dipstick. Now I have to replace the tube and the dipstick. My concern is, did taking the tube out cause any permanent damage? Can the tube be replaced? How safe is driving the car without a dipstick in the tube? Thanks...I'm stressing!!!
  • jtrikjtrik Member Posts: 11
    Okay, having read this Sentra forum i feel i need to relay a good experience so far with the 05 Sentra. My car was totaled one night so i needed a new one. The insurance company was nice enough to loan me an 05 Sentra Auto. When i was looking for a car, test everything. Focus, Mazda3, Corolla, Civic, Scion Xb, Cobalt...never gave the Sentra a thought. Why? I was driving it now and frankly it just did it's business, no fuss no problems. But that was it...Focus in the trim i liked was a little out of the price range i wanted to spend, didn't like the lower models. Civic's stearing made me think of the old 79 LTD i had in college...Scion Xb was neat but i thouhgt i looked dumb in one. Corolla did nothing for me. Mazda3 was way out of my range...but i had the Sentra now, it wasn't offensive, the automatic was blah...but no complaints nothing...So i enter the Nissan dealership and i test drove the 5 speed manual and it was the Special Edition package...the stereo system was outstanding. There was actual peppiness coming out of the 5 speed...what the hey, the dealer gave me a fantastic price and i'm paying a little less than 200 a month...Sold. This car now has 5000 miles, no rattles, squeaks, hums...bumpers still intact as well as the dipstick...i do my own maintainence on my cars. I tend to keep cars well passed their due date this way.
    I've been averaging 36 mpg hwy and about 32 city with the airconditioner on. The stereo keeps me wholly entertained. I have read that the styling is outdated the dash is boring, not powerful enough...maybe true, but the darn thing is not boring. It is peppy, and not boy racerish...who'd a thunk it? I actually like this little red car...so far so good...i'll keep you updated around 10K miles... :)
  • tlwcpatlwcpa Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a 2001 Sentra GXE 5-speed in April 2001. It currently has 86,000 miles on it and my son is about to take it off to college. At purchase, I got an extended warranty to 100,000 miles for it, but have yet to use it. I have done nothing but routine maintenance on the car. The Sentra is not glamorous, but it is well-equipped for the money and gets me around just fine. The dealer has also been great to work with.
    My only criticism of the car is that I think the highway fuel economy could be higher if the 5th gear were geared more for economy than for power. (My mother has a similar automatic which runs at lower RPM's at higher speeds than my 5-speed.) However, if performance is your concern, it is hard to argue with a car which you almost never have to shift down to climb hills.
    I have just finished shopping for a replacement vehicle. I seriously considered a Corolla and Civic. I have opted for another Sentra, even though it is a bit outdated and a bit smaller on the inside than the Honda and Toyota. For $13,000, I got the 2005 Sentra 1.8S 5-speed with the Special Edition package (Rockford Fosgate 300 Watt AM/FM/6 CD changer 9 speaker with subwoofer, 16" alloy wheels, fog lights, rear spoiler, etc.) and some miscellaneous options. I couldn't justify paying 25% more for a Honda or Toyota especially since I couldn't find either in a 5 speed at the end of the model year. For the price and features, I don't think the Sentra can be beat.
  • gotbgotb Member Posts: 39
    I think it's a design flaw. The dipstick comes out of the exhaust manifold and gets too HOT thus melting the dipstick plastic part. Some people broke their dipsticks more than three times and Nissan still doesn't do anything about it. They should make the dipstick more heat resistant or something. Check out www.b15sentra.net. BTW, I've never seen 2.5L owners having the dipstick problem because the dipstick tube is far away from the engine and the exhaust manifold on 2.5L engine models.
  • tewilktewilk Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 1.8s 2005 sentra with manual transmission and the finance guy did a good job in selling me the extended warranty. For $700 I got up to 6 years 75,000 miles but all of my Nissan have been very reliable so I feel that I should get my money back. Should I keep it, get my money back? Is the price in line for this extended warranty? Thanks for any feedback!

from not sure what todo ;)
  • dlarrusodlarruso Member Posts: 3
    Hey kids-
    My 2001 nissan sentra GXE started having big time performance issues- like not being able accelerate very quickly and making funny popcorn popping like noises in the muffler region of my car. The check engine soon light was on as well so I brought it to my local mechanics who have done a great job for all of my cars.

They inspected the engine light and multiple codes came on. They cleared the codes, took it on a road test and only the 02 sensor & engine lean codes came back. My car had a engine misfire from Cylinder #1 and they replaced the 02 sensor, 4 spark plugs, and cylinder #1 coil and they cleared the codes. They took it on a test drive and the codes did not return. When I went to pick up my car after work as soon as I turned the car on the check engine light came on. I left it for the mechanics to keep working on. They told me that the error was still indicating a bad 02 sensor even thought they had just replaced it. They put another one in- cleared it- drove it and the light came back on- they put in a 3rd new one- drove it for 5 miles and it did not come back on. So I pick it up again and drive home and 6 miles down the road the light comes back on. I brought it back to them this morning.

Anyone else have or have heard of this problem where 02 sensors that are new keep causing the check engine light to come back on?

All of the performance issues are gone since they worked on it the first time- its just that stupid check engine light that keeps coming on, and I need it to stay off because you can't pass emmisions inspection in AZ with it on.

Thanks
    -Daniel
  • amerinuckamerinuck Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 XE, and I've had a similar problem. My check engine light came on a little over a year ago, and I took my car to the dealer to see what was wrong. They told me it was "a fuel sensor" which I assume may have been something like your O-2 sensor. Since there are no emissions laws in Michigan, I didn't see an imminent need to replace the darn thing since all intelligence said it was expensive so I just lived with my check engine light being lit. Ho hum.

Last week my car decided to take a sick day, and I had to have it towed to a mechanic. They looked it over and found a wire that had been corroded through. They cut out and replaced the rotten bit and hey presto my car works again. The interesting bit is that the check engine light is now off as well, coincidence? I think not.

This is not the first wiring harness problem I've had with this car. I bought the car brand new in Jan 01. Since then I've had numerous wiring faults. First the horn started sounding funny and then stopped entirely. Just over 2 years ago (July 03) I had a similar wiring fault that stopped my car because of a corroded/broken wire to the ECM, and since last fall the backlight on my radio hasn't been working unless its very humid. I haven't seen fit to fix all these problems, but it seems a bit unreasonable to me to have this many electrical problems in a car under 5 years old.

1) I wonder if Daniel in AZ is experiencing something similar in his wiring harness.

2) I wonder if there are other 01 Sentra owners out there that are having similar difficulties with their wiring harness. I think this has to be a manufacturing fault, and its getting long past time I had a stern conversation with Nissan Motor Company.
  • andy_dandy_d Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    I own a 2001 Nissan Sentra since Feb 2005. I bought this car for about $6000
    from the first owner and its currently 38000 Miles driven. It gives me a mileage
    of about 26-27 city and 30-32 trips. Everything was fine till the time I noticed
    that whenever I drive the sedan at speeds above 70mph for a prolonged duration
    of time like 30 mins or more or I keep the AC/Heater on for the same duration or
    more; the check engine light starts glowing....
    I had taken my sedan to the dealer a couple of times but they were not able to
    figure out the problem initially...Recently when I faced the same problem again,
    dealer told me that its the AIR FLOW METER/SENSOR thats causing the check engine light to glow up when I drive it at the above mentioned speed or above for a
    prolonged duration of time. Dealer says that the replacement cost of this part is
    around $900.

Can anyone of you help me out with the fact that what exactly does the AIR FLOW
    METER/SENSOR do in a car and what is its importance. Is it advisable to get the
    part changed as mentioned by the dealer. What if I don't change the part....is
    it going to affect the performance of my engine and mileage would start falling
    gradually....

Please please help!!!
    I appreciate your cooperation.
  • xtremeracingxxtremeracingx Member Posts: 2
    HELP!!!!!ok i have this problem wit my 03 sentra 1.8 . well when i start the car its all good, but when i press the gas the intake roars like an idiot and it wont go past 3,000rpms. could any1 help me with this problem .
  • giantkillergiantkiller Member Posts: 273
    Where is the new Sentra? There are no news or even spyshots. Nissan is probably enjoying their records sales of of Altimas and SUV's that they dont care about the "grassroots". I mean, you have to create followings from the first time buyers and the younger generations.
  • giantkillergiantkiller Member Posts: 273
    Sentra fans, we have to voice out our frustrations. Carlos Ghosn we want the new Sentra be release by 2006!
  • sarahbethsarahbeth Member Posts: 1
    I have had similar problems with my 01 Sentra, 39000 miles. It was running fine until one day after work, I went to drive it home and it had no power. I took it to a local shop and they replaced the mass airflow sensor ($500.00 incl. labor) and it still didn't run. They told me it was an ECM problem, so I towed it to a dealership because I knew it would be covered at least under the california epa emmissions warranty (7 yrs 70000 miles for ecm, catalytic converter, and obd) Go to Carfax.com for a search on emissions related warranty. I ended up still having powertrain warranty as my car has very few miles, and a possibility it was covered under recall for the ecm lining. (by the way- recall related problems are covered past the regular warranty period. And an exhaust/emissions RECALL is in effect for the life of the car. Keep fighting).I was still a little hacked off for buying a new mass airflow sensor if I really didn't need one, but happy my car would run again and that the new computer would be free. Right? Wrong. The same day I drove my "fixed" car back to work, and then tried to start it again and drive it home, the engine started surging wildly, and there was very little power. I had it towed back the next day and they said at the dealership there was no problem with the car (no codes came up). I have a problem though, as when I drive my car I have strange power surges, and I am unsure about the dependability of my car. Since they have dubbed my car in good working order, I am considering purchasing an extended warranty so they will be forced to continue to fix the problem and any others that may come up later. As far as recourse on the other parts I paid out-of-pocket: call 1-800-nissan-1 and open a case #. They MAY decide to issue reimbursement for recall related work done on the car. you will need your paperwork proving the dealership closed out the recall, your repair order for the work done, proof of payment for your work done, and proof of ownership of the car.

Of course this doesn't guarantee a drivable, working car. I am still yet a little nervous about driving my car until I know it is fixed properly, and the dealership claims it has been done, although I know for myself that it has not. Any sugestions as to how to bully a dealership into listening to a customer complaint? I have my research in line, but I feel they don't take me seriously as I am a young woman.
  • finukesfinukes Member Posts: 3
    have the catalytic converter checked-ASAP
    have the catalytic converter checked - could be the reason for lost power and check engine light being on.
    had the same problem in my 2001 sentra CA. Have the catalytic converters checked, this was causing the lost performance and the check engine light. and this fix worked for 5 months - well my car is in the shop again for another catalytic converter and when i asked the service manager if this will solve the problem , his reply -"we dont know"- in other words it is a flaw with the 2001 sentra and look forward to replacing the cat converter often- good thing in california the emissions coverage is 7/70. so have them do a check, like you i had the 02 sensor replaced- on a recall, this was the reason for the check light being on i was told, but the light came back on because of the converter problem. hope this helps, PS- if this is the problem your perfromance will only get worse and worse over time.
    also, if you have to get it replaced, and 5-12 months down the road the same kind of performance problem happens without the check light coming on (i think nissan permanently cleared the code on my last cat replace, "i'm sure they know about this problem"). then it may be the converter again, as it has been in my case. damn shame, i like the car, but this is rapidly becoming a nissan nightmare. I have one more payment and was looking forward to no car payment for awhile-afterall it is a nissan right- yeah right- these cars use to get 100,000 with few probs and being beat on, now at 50k (mind you these are california hyway dry miles) i'm looking to dump- i'll make sure that when i get my 6k on tradein i tell all the people i know not to buy my nissan even though it seems like a good deal. also, if the service department says " the computer says it is fine" insist that they drive the car as if it were their own- then they will be able to tell you have a serious problem.
    hope this helps .
  • nycsentra04nycsentra04 Member Posts: 3
    Hi, I'm new to these boards and would appreciate any advice. I have a 2004 Sentra 2.5s automatic tranny with 14,900 mi. It has never been modified in any manner. However, I noticed at about 6000 mi a rather loud crackling sound (think of a fried egg cooking on a stove) coming from the engine compartment. The crackling sound is so loud, people passing by in the street often stare at my car as if something's wrong. I brought my car back to the dealership and they tell me there's nothing wrong. They insist it's the normal sounds the heat shields make when they expand and/or contract. I seriously doubt this as the sound is quite audible and nearly constant when I drive the car. Funny thing is that I have noticed that the crackling sound diminishes somewhat when the A/C is on. Finally, I have noticed absolutely no decrease in power or acceleration and other than the constant crackling sound, the car runs fine. Any ideas as to what could be wrong. Again, I appreciate the help.
  • dalsteindalstein Member Posts: 5
    Hey everyone, Im looking at buying a used car within the 10000 price range. I have my eye on a nissan sentra. I found a deal for a 2001 Sentra GXE touring, 5 spd, loaded, 100000 km, for 7500$ (Cdn). Is this a good deal??

Does anyone have any suggestions about looking into purchasing a sentra, they seem like great cars to me, but i just wanna be sure. Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys.

Cheers
  • angeliikaangeliika Member Posts: 1
    PLEASE HELP !!!! I just went to check the oil in my2001 nissan sentra and guess what I HAVE NO DIPSTICK !!!! We got this car 3 months ago
    The yellow part is there but the metal blad is gone. Can you help me since you had the same problem. How did you fix it? Any info that you could give me would be appreciated.
    HELP :cry:
  • dd977dd977 Member Posts: 1
    1992 Sentra/1.6/4CYL with 28K miles gets only approx 16 mpg city, new plugs, cap, rotor, air filter, gas filter, oxygen senson. runs great but still only 16 mpg. Have been driven only approx 500 a year for the last 4 years. PLEASE HELP
  • dank151dank151 Member Posts: 1
    Help, my battery died, I put the recharged battery back in the car and now all the inside electrical doesn't work! I found that the alternator is starting to fail but at the moment the car runs fine, just no radio, AC, windows won't open!! Fuses are fine... at least the five I looked at. Whats happening!!! Would a failing alternator cause this?
  • djj1djj1 Member Posts: 1
    hey i have just bought a 01sentra se with 78000km fully loaded for $10400 and i hope its worth every penny it was either that or a gm like sunfire or cavilier
  • dalsteindalstein Member Posts: 5
    Hey, what is the GXE touring edition?? A dealer is syaing that a car is the 2001 GXE touring, but i cant find any information on the internet about this edition of the car. It looked like it is only offered in XE, GXE, and SE. What is special about the touring?
  • mdg24mdg24 Member Posts: 1
    I've been having a similar problem on my 2000 GXE with 50K miles on it. It started cutting off when I was slowing down to make a turn and downshifting from 3rd to 2nd. Starts right back up, but not fun stalling in the middle of a turn. It seemed to be ok if I didn't downshift through a turn. Then it started doing it more often and at random times when I was coming to a stop. I finally took it to a mechanic, and they said that it probably needed to have the computer reset, but that they couldn't do it...the dealer had to. A friend offered to do it (just unhooked the battery for a couple of minutes). That was last night, and so far, so good. I was also told that keeping the AC on helps because it keeps the rpm's higher.

I don't know if it's fixed, but I'm selling.
  • vonnegutvonnegut Member Posts: 1
    Any assistance would be appreciated. I own a 2001 Sentra GXE, 64K, No major problems, but the horn suddenly stopped working a few months back. No other issues related but I don't want to send to the shop if it involves something I can fix myself. I searched the boards and could not find anything. My safety inspection is due soon - much thanks.
  • mkvalmkval Member Posts: 2
    I have a 95. This sounds dumb but, first check the fuse. Then look at the horn wires. Try it by hooking direct to battery. If horn works then you have a wire or switch problem. If not replace horn. Sometimes the ground fails due to rust. Sometimes wire fails and sometimes the switch in your steering wheel. I suspect the fuse or the horn itself. Think about electricity and trouble shoot.

Blessings, MK
  • mkvalmkval Member Posts: 2
    I live on an island in the South Pacific. Parts are hard to come by. I own a 93 Nissan Sentra 1.6 XE and a 95 same engine and model. I believe my ECM is failing on the 95. Can I put the 93 ECM in for troubleshooting purposes? Also are any of the parts interchangeable?

Thanks, MK
  • madownmadown Member Posts: 2
    My keyless entry will not work either. Ck-ed the fuse and relay, fine. Battery to the horn it beeps. Any luck finding where or what switch it may be.

tnx.

madown.
  • madownmadown Member Posts: 2
    Hey-Der, please let me know how you make out on this. did your keyless entry fail as well? I've ck-ed the fuse and relay, battery to the horn - it beeps. so yep. the horn is down. tnx.
  • jairo1jairo1 Member Posts: 2
    Is my wife's car, recently the check engine light came up twice got it service it twice. I took it to have the code check out an 02 sensor bank 1 upstream intermitently not responding it's been reset hopefully it doesn't come back. She took it to be serviced the 1st time & it was a waste of money, a none knowing mechanic who does not have the proper tools did a tune-up that was already done 11 months ago in which I spent $900. Today at local shop all four shock or struts are being replaced. Replaced battery for the winter, transmission flushed & the recent tune-up that was not needed it almost $2,000. Still the sensor is not replaced waiting to see if problem persist. Last there is a sound when the car is moving like a clicking sound & personally I don't like the way it upshifts from 1st to 2nd gear dealer said it was fine when we bought a 14 months ago and today I took it aamco & they also said it was fine. takes to long to shift and when it does it makes a weird sound if this is the way this vehicle shifts it sucks my mother's 96 altima is very fast shifter and smooth compare to my wife's sentra.
  • anokun7anokun7 Member Posts: 1
    I dont think you have got a good deal at all - I bought my 2001 Nissan sentra 2.0SE in March 2005 and I paid around 6000 - we had negotiated it for 5600 but there were some closing costs / TTL etc which came to 6100 - I think you paid too much. Alos it had only 65000 miles on it and a perfect drive.

-Anoop
  • dmb41dmb41 Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

I have a 2000 Nissan Sentra XE 75k miles. I have been noticing a problem the past couple of weeks. Whenever I start the car after it's been sitting for a couple hours (after work or in the morning heading to work) it seems to lose almost all power when I attempt to accelerate and then after a few seconds it "catches up" and the RPM's go way up and then it is fine. When it does catch up the car jerks violently and the engine seems to rev up and back down and back up etc for about 5 seconds before it starts funning normally. After that I don't notice any problems while driving. I drive up a huge hill on the way to work about 5 minutes after my house and don't notice any sort of performance problems while climbing that. It's only when the car first starts and is cold. Also, if I let the car warm up for a couple minutes I never have this problem. However, it seems like something that shouldn't be ignored and I would like to find out what the problem is. Any helpful hints or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
  • ktharpe86ktharpe86 Member Posts: 1
    I have an 87 sentra and it has a few annoying little problems. The car runs rich for one, i think its the fuel pressure regulator, because the fuel pump functions and the injector was recently replaced. the temp sensors are brand new and work flawlessly. Another problem that im having is when the car is at idle, and you turn the lights on or if the radiator fan kicks on, it will start to sputter and then eventually die, but if you turn them off, it will come back up to normal. the last problem i have is it gets hot and doesnt cool off until you move and it doesnt cool off very much. the radiator is brand new and so is the water pump. the system was flushed and is clean. the thermostat is new and operates and the drive belt for the pump is tight. what could i possibly be overlooking or doing wrong? :confuse:
  • fitzy5fitzy5 Member Posts: 1
    Hi folks, my girlfriend owns a 1999 Sentra, the heater blower motor only works on the high speed, #4. with winter fast approaching she will need all speeds. I checked the fuses and all are ok, far as I can tell this equipment is not included in the relays of the vehicle (I maybe wrong).
    From reading about this problem I figure it must be either the switch or the resistor at the blower fan unit. Anyone had this issue. If I can solve this for her life will be good. Thanks for you help.
  • lgoldinlgoldin Member Posts: 90
    I had this problem and it was burnt resistor. I have 2001 SE and the resistor located on the right corner where passengers legs are. It is bolted by 2 bolts and I took it off, put a blab of solder where the resistor has burnt and that was it. I am not sure were the resistor is located in the 99 Sentra, but you can make a search on Internet. You should be able to find it.
  • serspecv1serspecv1 Member Posts: 1
    I bough a 1991 nissan sentra xe in 1996 and sold it in 2005 and also had a 1994 sentra and the 1991 sentra gave me so much, the car ran grean during my ownership with it.
    sentras are great cars, now i have a 2003 sentra ser spec v and it flies like a rocket.
    I hope nissan never discontinues this model, it is awesome, also my girlfriend drives a 2004 sentra 1.8 s...
  • thebrigandthebrigand Member Posts: 1
    Did you get your horn working?

I too have a 2001 Sentra GXE. The horn has stopped working and the relay/fuse/and horn(when powered directly) are all working. It has to been in the wiring or contact in the steering wheel.

I was just hoping you'd found the weak link in these cars and save me some major disassembly!
    Cheers,
    -Cori
  • david_11725david_11725 Member Posts: 1
    It sounds to me like you might have a problem with the electric fan or fan thermostat. I bet its not running at the correct speed or you don't the correct voltage level at the terminals. have you checked the alternator for voltage and current output? You might have lost one side of the rectifier. Also look for a bad or missing ground wire.

Good Luck
  • tom71tom71 Member Posts: 46
    I'm interested in hearing from people who own a new 05 or 06 Sentra 1.8S
    with automatic tranny.

How do you like the car?
    Does the car have adaquete accelleration - especially on freeway on ramps?
    Is the stereo system high quality?
    Is the car quiet at freeway cruising speed?
  • apraskovapraskov Member Posts: 3
    I used to own 2000 Sentra GXE. My horn died when the car had 37,000 miles. I did some troubleshooting and found that is was due to bad cable from fuse box to horn. Couldn't fix it myself (winter, cold, snow, no access to a garage), so I took it to the dealer - I think I paid around $100-$150 to get it fixed. At 38,000 miles the RPM gauge died and the odometer as well, which flipped the CEL on. Dealer said, the console computer and the odometer need to be replaced. I paid $100 for the diagnostic and drove off with my wife to VW dealrship and traded it for Passat. I loved the Nissan, but when you loose your brake fluid for no reason (dealer said cannot find any leaks, and yet I was able to add little over 1 bottle of brake fluid to get the "check the brakes" light to turn off) and have to go to 4 or 5 recalls for 3 years of ownership, and then the electronics start dying for no reason I cannot rely on this car and let my wife drive it with a newborn. Just my $0.02
  • shysnowshysnow Member Posts: 3
    I have 02 Sentra GXE 1.8L. (34000 miles on it)
    This must have good gas mileage, but it runs only 20 miles per gallon.
    Previous owner has driven this car in Wisconsin for at least two years, and now I am driving in California.
    Transmission fluid, oil chage, new brake pads, air filter (K&N), cabin air filter and wheel alignment has been done since I got it. No way to replace fule filter for this car.

I am going to replace spark plugs.
    It has 17 inch wheel, but I don't think it affects that much.
    Anybody knows what the problem is?
    How can I improve the MPG?
  • coffmlucoffmlu Member Posts: 20
    I have an 04 Sentra 2.5S and it's been nothing but problems since I bought it. I've had it towed twice because it wouldn't start, had the rotors resurfaced a couple times and eventually replaced, and now the AC won't turn off when I just want the vent on. It also makes a lot of noise when it's cooling down. The only good thing is that all of this was covered by the warranty. I'll be getting rid of it soon though since the warranty is almost up. No more Nissan for me, I'll try a Toyota or Honda next.
  • nycsentra04nycsentra04 Member Posts: 3
    Hi, I also have an 04 Sentra 2.5s (all of 16k miles). Although I don't seem to have quite as many problems as you, I'm not pleased with my car either. My car has been serviced by the dealer 6 times already for a variety of reasons. One of my biggest problems is that my key fobs do not always work (sometimes the doors will unlock, sometimes not - even when I'm no more than 5 feet from the car!). My dealer tells me it's due to radio interference in certain areas in and around the NYC area. They've replaced the fobs, but I still have the same problems.

The sounds you're hearing when the car cools down, is it a "crackling" sound (almost like a fried egg cooking in a hot pan)? If so, I have the same "problem" and I've encountered two other persons who experience the same thing. My dealer told me it's the "normal" sounds the heat shields make when the shields are cooling down.

However, my car also makes the same crackling sound when the car is in operation. My dealer (White Plains Nissan in White Plains, NY) told me that the heat shields needed adjusting (which they adjusted at no charge) and warned me that when parking in lots with those concrete bars on the floor, to be extra careful and avoid having the front end of the car rub up against them. The front heat shield, so they tell me, is easily knocked out of place by these bars. Well, not sure if I've helped you any. I think the Sentras are poorly built and this is my last Nissan, too! Good luck to you and let me know how this all turns out for you.
  • coffmlucoffmlu Member Posts: 20
    Thanks, I'll have them check the heat shields. It makes the sound while I'm driving too. My dealership also told me it was normal and then they said it was because of the gas I was using (said I should be using higher grade gas)! So, apparently, they have no idea what's going on. I usually wait now and compile a list of items I need fixed before I go to the dealer or else I'd be there every month. I've got three things that need fixed right now, so I guess it's time for another visit.
  • 89sentra89sentra Member Posts: 1
    89 nissan sentra.

Can anyone please help me find the problem:

Car was running fine...my brother put the cap on wrong and it cracked the cap and now it wont start. I replaced cap and rotor and it almost starts but wont completely fire up and run.

I dont have the manual and know a bit about cars. I used a haynes manuel...too broad...but I traced it to either a transistor connected to the coil or Im guessing it damaged the ignition modual inside the distributor. I dont have the manuel to test and check either one.

Maybe someone can please help me or tell me how to test it.

Ive got spark from the coil....and very weak spark to the plugs. Im sure the coil is working fine as tested and grounded...has hot spark.
    I dont know if the circuit that acts like the points could have went bad or if the ignition module inside the distributor is bad. I tested the plug to it...it has 5 volt reference signal and 12volt power...plug seems fine.

This all happend after he went for a drive and it worked and ran great. He took off the cap and checked the rotor as it was loose and moved before (didnt have the hold down screw) but I found that the rotor had slipped and was off when firing..hence the poping and loss of power. So I repostioned the rotor where it should be but didnt have the screw yet to keep it in place.

It ran great!.....so after driving it.....he pulled the cap off to check if the rotor had moved....he must have put the cap on the distributor back on wrong...he started it up and it cracked the cap and the rotor chewed up the inside terminals.

After that, I replaced with new cap and rotor and rotor hold down screw.....NOW the car wants to start up but wont!

Please any suggestions!
    Thanks in advance and sorry for the long discription of the problem.
    I wish I had the manuel to test.

Thankyou!!
    Eric
  • curtis_98curtis_98 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1999 Sentra, and the headlight switch is broken. I cannot turn on the lights, because the whole switch broke off. All I have is the turn signal rod, with the light thing gone. I was wondering if I can use the control from a 1995 Sentra to replace it. Or if there is any other way to go to fix it. This is getting irritating, cause I can't go any place after it gets dark. Thanks in advance.