Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Nissan Sentra 2006 and earlier

Comments

• Options
    hkchanhkchan Member Posts: 420
    It's hard to accept 7.9s for the Civic EX, 8.4s for the Civic LX and 8.6s for the Sentra SE.

The result for the Sentra came from ineto6's link. The results for the Civics came from Edmunds' tests of the 2001 Civics, both with a 5-sp.
  • Options
    gserep1gserep1 Member Posts: 92
    Hello Again,
    Boy this is getting interesting. I LIKE IT, I LIKE IT! Edmunds also did a comparison test of the 2000 Sentra against 8 other vehicles including the Honda and Toyota. Both the Honda and Toyota finished at the bottom of the pile. In that test, only the 150 hp Chevy Cavalier and the Hyundai Elantra was faster to 60 MPH. The Cavalier has a 2.4L engine. 0 to 60 times are so subjective, so it is better to drive what feels best to you.The best time I saw for a Honda Civic was 10.4 seconds....hardly faster than the Sentra.

That truck analogy was very good, and it sure opens up a new group of theories. I could site the 89 Thunderbird Supercoupe I owned that had a supercharged 3.8L 6 cylinder 210 hp engine. But because of the supercharger and intercooler, the engine made 315 lbs of torque. My automatic 92 5.0L V8 Mustang always got the jump on the Thunderbird from a take-off, but it was not long before the Thunderbird would overtake and pass the Mustang. I believe that the boost increased the horsepower, but the torqued did the work. By the way, the 315 lbs of torque was fully developed at 2600 rpm....way down LOW!

This could go on for ages, and makes for very interesting reading. By the way hkchan, did you get a Sentra, or was it the Mazda Protege? I can't remember right now, but I seem to remember your name in another discussion a while back. Best of luck to you, whatever you drive. I love my Sentra.

By the way, someone was right about that J.Lo thing. Guess I better keep up with the times, right? She looks good regardless of what you call her....I stand corrected.

GSEREP1
  • Options
    Protege ES2.0. It will NOT beat your Sentra SE going 0-60.
  • Options
    The cars were driven by humans and humans make errors, but how are 0-60 times subjective?
  • Options
    Hello,
    I remember back in the old days of Pro Stock drag racing. There was a driver by the name of Ronnie Sox, and he drove a new Dodge Challenger. At that time he was considered the fastest manual shifter in the business. What he could do with a fast car and a race track was legendary. I see different times on the same vehicle all of the time in magazines. This is the stuff that arguments are made of. Cars perform differently at different altitudes and temperatures, and yes...even DRIVERS. We have to take into consideration the condition of the car, and whether it was performing up to specs on that particular day. Some are better and some are worse. A brand new car, not fully broken in will sometimes perform worse than a car with a few thousand miles on it. While a car that has been beaten to death by a handful of magazine writers MAY have a slipping clutch, or transmission, or a misfiring cylinder, or any number of things that throw the numbers off THAT DAY! Have you ever driven a car that SEEMED faster, but actually was not that fast? Kids in cars with loud mufflers and lowered chassis's sure SEEM faster, but ARE they?

Some cars USED to be specially prepared for car magazine drivers (remember "ringer cars")? These cars achieved numbers that the average Joe could never duplicate. That is why cars are sometimes torn down after a race to ensure that things are "legal".

There are a lot of variables involved when testing cars for zero to 60 times. THIS is why I feel the numbers are so subjective.

By the way, I drove that ES 2.0 Protege before I got the Sentra. I liked that too, but I liked the Sentra just a BIT better. That ES 2.0 was the BEST driving Protege I ever drove. Remember, I used to SELL Proteges and Grand Am's back in 1995.

Thanks again,
    GSEREP1
  • Options
    corkfishcorkfish Member Posts: 537
    I don't where Edmunds gets performance figures, but they're consistenly off the mark. Here are the 0 to 60 figures from more reputable sources.

Sentra
    Car & Driver 8 seconds
    Motor Trend 7.9 seconds
    Auto Week 7.86 seconds

Honda Civic EX
    Car & Driver Nov 2000 8.4 seconds
    Motor Trend Dec 2000 9 seconds
    Auto Week 8.19 seconds

Like I said, I don't know how Edmunds tests cars, but I've also noticed they seem to be way off on other models as well.
  • Options
    Thanks Corkfish for this info,
    I am like you. I have driven these cars so many times before I bought my car, there is no way I could have made that big a mistake. The Sentra was CONSISTENTLY faster than the Civic in both manual and automatic versions. I TRIED to justify the extra cost and loss of horsepower to get the increased resale value the Honda has, but I just COULDN'T buy it after comparing it to the Sentra. The driving experience was just that much better...NO offense to ANY Honda owner. They are both great cars, BUT the 2.0L Sentra is FASTER, PERIOD!

Good Luck to you again, and THANKS!

GSEREP1
  • Options
    kstephankstephan Member Posts: 41
    Just to toss another thought into the mix--cars that can turn out great 0-60 times under optimal conditions are not necessarily quicker in real-world driving. I had a 2000 Civic Si before my Sentra SE, and the Civic's 0-60 was usually given as low 7's, beating the Sentra by at least a half second. But I guarantee you from personal experience that in normal, real-world driving, the SE is quicker. Why? Easy, ample torque. The Honda VTECs are very weak on torque, unlike the Nissan 2.0 DOHC. It's very hard to run out a car to 8000 RPM in street driving, unless you're insane, which I assume most of us in this topic are not. The Sentra SE has USEABLE power.

So I'm sure in real-world driving, the SE would be *considerably* quicker and more responsive than a Civic LX or EX, which are also weak on torque, but don't have the Si's high-end power either.
  • Options
    jlim1jlim1 Member Posts: 50
    I'm in the process of deciding between a 2001 Mazda Protege LX and a 2001 Nissan Sentra GXE. Both are competitively close in terms of performance and price. I'm just wondering if any current Sentra owners out there can comment on the car's ride, comfort (engine, road noise), and reliability so far. Thanks.
  • Options
    dck_baltimoredck_baltimore Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2001 GXE model about 1.5 months ago. The car is great!

>I'm just wondering if any current Sentra owners
    >out there can comment on the car's ride...

Excellent accelleration, great braking, absorbs bumps on the road well (disclaimer: I rode public transport for years before I bought the car), smooth steering.

>comfort (engine, road noise)

Engine noise tends to be a soft, background-type noise. Road noise is minimized so much that I sometimes open windows to determine where the other traffic is!

>and reliability so far

No problems were encountered in just over 500 miles of driving.
  • Options
    gewaltaktgewaltakt Member Posts: 9
    two weeks now and my sentra has been perfect! does anybody know of anyone who makes sunvisors for the 2001 sentra se? i', sure one from pep boys or the like would work fine but i'd rather have one made specifiacally for the sentra. thanks.
  • Options
    afterimageafterimage Member Posts: 1
    I'm in the process of choosing a new car, and have been impressed with the loaded Sentra SE and would seriously consider buying one except for one issue: the vibration and engine-mount rocking that comes through the 5 speed manual stick shift. Does anyone know of a solution to this problem? Or have you current 5 speed Sentra owners simply learned to live with it? Thanks for the help...
  • Options
    jcu1886jcu1886 Member Posts: 39
    You learn to live with it. I don't think there is a fix.
  • Options
    Hello,
    I have had my car for a few weeks now, and I am not conscious of it anymore. I don't rest my hand on the gearshift once I have completed shifting, so it is not a problem. It is not severe anyway. If you like the power of the SE, then by all means GO FOR IT!

GSEREP1
  • Options
    flytopherflytopher Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1992 4-door Sentra. My question is about the door locks. When I turn the key to unlock the driver's door, the lock is noisy, scratchy and stiff. When I unlock the passenger door with the key, the lock is smooth. They both work, fortunately.

Instead of replacing the lock cylinder, what I would rather do is be cheap and swap the two cylinders, so the smooth one is on the driver's door.

Can this be done? Does Nissan use different cylinders for the different doors, or is it the same part number?
  • Options
    canoolacanoola Member Posts: 6
    I'm looking (or rather trying to look) at Sentras here in central Mississippi. The local Honda dealer has 50 or so Civics on the lot. The Nissan dealer has maybe 10 Sentras. And in reading thru this forum other people nationwide seen to be seeing the same thing. And at the same local Nissan dealer there are plenty of Maximas and Altimas. What gives?
  • Options
    Hello,
    I just bought my new Sentra SE during Memorial Day weekend, and I had 30 to choose from. In San Diego, there are 6 NISSAN dealerships...5 of them owned by the same company, and 1 dealer independent of the other 5. I looked at about 40 in this area, but could not settle on a good price, so I went north to San Francisco area. There were a bunch there.

I am a former resident of New Orleans,Louisiana (born there)....and have relatives in Mississippi, from McComb and Liberty up to Jackson, and while visiting recently, I did not see very many Sentras there OR in New Orleans.

I am at a loss as well. COME ON OUT WEST, and get one if they cannot get you what you want. LOL

Take care!
    GSEREP1
  • Options
    kentwongkentwong Member Posts: 36
    How much did the Sentra SE owners pay for their Sentra recently? I am buying a SE with 5speed, Performance PKG, But no sunwoof. Thanks.
  • Options
    narenjinarenji Member Posts: 161
    Hey, I bought an Out of the Blue 5 spd SE with the Perf Pkg and no other options for 15,200 plus tax. I believe that's around 200 over invoice, and this is in Monrovia, CA, about 15 miles east of LA.
  • Options
    mdrivermdriver Member Posts: 385
    Where is everyone finding these SEs with 5sp manuals? At two large local dealers, with perhaps a combined total of 100 SEs, not one of them is a manual. A manual with ABS? Forget it! Meanwhile over at Honda, I would estimate at least 25% Civics are manuals. The irony is, the Sentra SE is much more in line with having a manual than the not-so-sporty character of the Civic.
  • Options
    Hello,
    I bought my Sentra SE 5 speed w/ performance package, no roof, Just floor mats and in cabin microfilter for 15,101 + tax and license in Petaluma, California. They had 30 to choose from, and MOST were 5 speeds.

Most of the dealers I visited had more 5 speeds than automatics.

Thanks,
    GSEREP1
    By the way, is the 5.9% interest rate still on for June?
    I'll bet that it is. They need to sell a few more 2001's before the 2002's get here.
  • Options
    jcu1886jcu1886 Member Posts: 39
    5 speed SE's were definitely a scarce commodity when I finally found one in Cleveland area in April. As you all probably know, only about 8% of cars sold in US now are 5 speeds, as opposed to 88% of sales in Europe (i.e., 12% automatics there). The way things are going, the 5 speed may soon be available only on high end performance cars.
  • Options
    Obviously we have a problem with distribution if Calif. has all of the SE 5spds and the rest of the country has autos. Still, I bet an SE 5spd with ABS (even in Calif.) is a hard find.

Unfortunately to the average European, the fact that 92% of cars in the US are automatics, supports the "lazy American" stereotype. Even police cars in Europe are typically 5spds. Can you imagine the police in the US being told they have to start driving cars with 5spds?
  • Options
    kstephankstephan Member Posts: 41
    As anyone received a recall notice for their 2000 or 2001 Sentra yet? I received notification from MSN CarPoint yesterday that the NHTSA is issuing a recall of Sentras for a problem with bad bolts that could shear off in the lower control arms of the front suspension. The notice said all recall notifications would be issued by the end of the month. Wondering if anyone has heard more about this? Thanks.
  • Options
    qin2qin2 Member Posts: 26
    If someone has upcoming SE-R questions, should they be asked in this thread or in a new thread?
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    This is a fine place to ask - go for it!

Pat
    Host
    Sedans and Women's Auto Center Message Boards
  • Options
    Hello,
    Please keep us informed on the recalls on the suspension bolts. I am very much interested in that bit of info. I did not buy the FOCUS because it also had recalls....(and was not as good as the Sentra in my view).

I will ask my dealer, and check in NHTSA as well.

THANKS,

GSEREP1
  • Options
    mayankhpmayankhp Member Posts: 22
    Hello, Everyone,

I checked with by dealer about this recall, they said yes, it is a recall part on some Sentras and not all Sentras. They advised me to call 1-800-nissan with the VIN to find out exact recall. Nissan will start sending out notices from next week.

What a bummer!!!!!! I am having 2001 Sentra Se.

Thanks
  • Options
    newskate9newskate9 Member Posts: 7
    I was reading a message board I'm not registered in so asking a question here is easier! The folks there were talking about dynomat'ing the rear speaker deck, doors, etc. to reduce sound??? And maybe rattles??? Anyone hear of this? What is dynomat?

I have a few rattles I want to get rid of and was hoping this might help.
  • Options
    t_zakt_zak Member Posts: 10
    Sounds like Nissan got a bad batch of bolts...

I got a copy of the recall notice from my local dealer. The notice indicated that 3600 vehicles had been repaired under a Voluntary Safety Recall Campaign.This included 1800 vehicles repaired by Nissan prior to delivery to Nissan dealerships and 1800 at Nissan dealerships.

Prior to owner notification Nissan wants to ensure an adequate supply of parts are available.Owners will begin to be notified on June 18.

Dealers will receive an initial allotment of 30 bolts by Thursday June 14.

One last item that concerns me is...
    Nissan is requesting that dealerships not place any orders for these bolts since they are currently on sales restriction.
    Maybe somebody knows what that means...

Bolt part number(54459-4Z400)
  • Options
    davejaydavejay Member Posts: 18
    I own a 2000 GXE and a 2001 GXE. I just noticed that my 2001 has no door lock on the passenger side, but my 2000 does.

This worries me -- specifically because I'm from Chicago, and when the lock cylinder froze on one side during winter, I always had the other side as backup, even if my car battery was dead (i.e., useless keyfob).

The last thing I need is to be locked out of my car with a dead battery, unable to get inside and jump it without breaking a window.

So is this missing door lock a change done throughout north america, or just in some regions -- and can I order a 2000 door handle and internal pieces to add the lock? Two dealerships said "we dunno, and we dunno who to talk to about it".
  • Options
    You can get in through the trunk, unless you can't fold down the rear seat(s) through the trunk.
  • Options
    davejaydavejay Member Posts: 18
    Just picturing the snow and slush tracked through the trunk, over the back seats, console and front seats gives me the willies. :)
  • Options
    I agree (the picturing). Why don't you skip the front doors try one of the rear ones (again through the trunk)? Definitely don't try to break one of the windows (I hope you're just kidding). There're ways to unlock your door(s).
  • Options
    I think it won't be long before all U.S. cars have no passenger door lock. Most cars in Europe have only a lock on the Driver's side. Automakers can save a lot of $$ by leaving off an extra lock, which, with remote entry almost standard now, is rarely used.
  • Options
    narenjinarenji Member Posts: 161
    I definitely think Nissan is trying to save some $$ by excluding that lock. I noticed it, but figured that since I had keyless entry, maybe that's why it was excluded. I did not notice the locks on other Sentras (GXEs or XEs). I actually saw an XE in a parking lot yesterday and it did have a pass side lock, maybe that one was a 2000?

With regards to the availability, I too was surprised to find find a good selection of SEs with manual. No SE manuals with ABS though. That's a tougher combination to find. I figured that LA area dealers would order very few manuals.

When I bought my first car in Maine about 2 years ago, I found a lot of 5spds in dealer lots. I guess people prefer 5 spds in Maine. At a Subaru dealership, they only had about 3 automatic Outbacks, out of about 25. At a Honda dealer, I found the same thing. Lots of 5spds. It's difficult to find 5spds on some models here in Calif, but others are easier. 5spds are easier to find on Civics, Accords, and Integras, and other sporty cars and sedans. I was also trying to find a Camry LE V6 5spd but was thoroughly unsuccessful. Outbacks here are 99% automatic. I think it also depends on the dealer's attitude towards 5spds. My dealer, Performance Nissan, had a good selection of 5spds for all Nissan products, including the Pathfinder.
  • Options
    canalicanali Member Posts: 2
    . by canali Jun 14, 2001 (12:24 pm)
    Pls email me directly at: joseph.collins@telus.com

I'm also considering waiting for the new MP3 version in a few wks time OR the upcoming new
    civic hb si (160 hp) due in early 2002 or the bland but quiet and reliable toyota corolla...also considering the new 2001 nissan sentra se (2.0 liter, 145 horses).

My question for your mazda protege 2.0 litre owners: is the protege quiet at hywy speeds and is it a comfortable cruiser for long period hywy cruising?...also any likes/dislikes would be appreciated to hear of.

Cheers,
    Joe Collins
    Vancouver BC Canada
  • Options
    vwpassat2001vwpassat2001 Member Posts: 12
    Hey guys:

Does anyone know the resale value of a 5 speed manual drive sentra as opposed to an automatic Sentra ? Is it significantly higher/lower/does not matter. just curious !!

Thanks.
  • Options
    gastonf75gastonf75 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 1996 Nissan Sentry it has been a great car. Two months ago the horn and the cruise control stop working. I know the horn has a solenoid, but I am not sure what is going on with the cruise control. The turn on light comes on but when I press set it the cruise light does not come on and the cruise does not set. If anybody has any advice let me know. Also anybody knows were to get a horn solenoid, other that from the Nissan people.

My battery was drained two days ago, I recharge it and it works fine. But now the Air bag light blinks all the time. Any suggestions
  • Options
    newskate9newskate9 Member Posts: 7
    Hi,
    2001 Sentra SE, PP, radio with CD Standard. Owned since 10/00.

Radio is getting static on AM. Distant and not so distant channels
    I hear clicking / loud static. Comes and goes, especially going over
    bumps while at high speed, not as much at low speed. Static most but
    not all the time is engine rpm type noise (goes up and down with rpm).
    Periodic, comes and goes like loose wire.

Dealer said antenna was loose - no use. Current direction is to
    replace radio (dealer has ordered new and reman one to install -
    taking very long to get it though).

Question - Does this sound like radio problem? Or power supply to
    radio? Anyone else have this problem? Any suggestions? Please don't
    tell me to listen to FM only, I paid for AM too!!

Thanks for any help or perspective.
  • Options
    newmaixmanewmaixma Member Posts: 5
    Hi, I heard from a friend that Nissan has a recall on 2001 sentra. It is about the suspension.

Where can I find Nissan recall information?

Thanks.
  • Options
    the time has finally arrived, 1000 miles on the 'ol odometer. i bought a 2001 Sentra SE w/ PP 5 speed and 6 disc a month ago in Radium. Although, my sister says its silver. that as we radium owners know is a load of crap, radium is silver with a hint of campaign (spelling?). anywho, overall the car has been fantastic. performs and looks like a dream. except of course for the fact that shes out of alignment (i'm taking care of that on friday, arent warranties great!!) i've also managed to hear a little rattle here and there that all seem to go away. maybe shes just settling in. also, i might be asking a little too much from a sentra. as much as this badboy looks expensive, we all know its not a lexus. to the point though, all cars have their little problems that need to be fixed at first so that we may enjoy many years of excellent driving. nissan has managed to build a compact econo car that looks, feels, and drives like a helluva more expensive car. the looks from the other students at my school make me feel all warm and fuzzy inside. i love my sentra. but it breaks my heart that i have to make another appointment for that damn recall. oh well, we'll all live another day (hopefully).
  • Options
    carpoint.msn.com does a good job of keeping you up to date on information regarding your specific car. also, if you bought a 2001 sentra, you should be receiving a letter in the mail from nissan soon regarding the recall.
  • Options
    mousemover1mousemover1 Member Posts: 3
    I own a 2001 Sentra SE with the performance package. If I leave my doors unlocked the security system won't set on its own.

I thought that it was supposed to set on its own & lock the doors automatically.

Am I wrong? How does yours work?
  • Options
    lgoldinlgoldin Member Posts: 90
    http://www.canadiandriver.com/roadtest/01sentra_se.htm.

mousemover1, to set the alarm you have to press "lock" on keyfob when all doors are already locked.

• Options
    majorthomechomajorthomecho Member Posts: 1,331
    Cars with automatic transmissions are generally valued higher than the same model with a manual transmission.

A used 2000 Nissan Sentra with automatic transmission will cost you about $700 more than the same model with manual transmission.

Understand that is the cost that one source I have gives. That is not the value of what it would be worth to a dealer for your car to have automatic and not manual.

Personally, I like rowing my own gears even in rush hour traffic, but that is just me.
  • Options
    kashakidkashakid Member Posts: 1
    Have folks been able to get straight invoice of $12,974 for a 2001 GXE now that it's the end of the model year? Is it realistic to try and go below this mark? Negotiating on June 29th!!! Help.
  • Options
    heyqaqaheyqaqa Member Posts: 3
    Here is the information on the '01 Sentra recall from National Highway Traffic Safety Administration

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/recalls/recmmy1.cfm

NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number: 01V174000

Component: SUSPENSION:INDEPENDENT FRONT CONTROL ARM:LOWER

Manufacturer: NISSAN NORTH AMERICA, INC

Potential Number of Units Affected: 80000

Year: 2001

Make: NISSAN

Model: SENTRA

Manufactured From: JUL 2000 To: APR 2001

Year of Recall: '01

Type of Report: Vehicle

Summary:

Vehicle Description: Passenger vehicles. One or more of the three bolts used to attach each front suspension lower control arm to the body on the left and right sides may not have been properly manufactured.

The bolts could fracture, increasing the risk of a crash.

Dealers will replace the lower control arm attachment bolts. Owner notification is expected to begin by the end of June 2001. Owners who take their vehicles to an authorized dealer on an agreed upon service date and do not receive the free remedy within a reasonable time should contact Nissan at 1-800-647-7261. Also contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration's Auto Safety Hotline at 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236).

A comfort for those '01 Sentra owners who also considered buying those cars before:

Recall: '01 Civic, 2 times

Recall: '01 Focus, 2 times

Recall: '01 Protege, 1 time

So don't regret choosing Sentra. It's a very good car for your money.

• Options
    hey guys/girls. i went up to the dealership where i bought my sentra to have an alignment done. i had checked to make sure my air pressure was correct all around before i went. well i got it back and was heading home when i noticed that the aligment hadnt been fixed. i had some things to take care of so i didnt have time to go back and argue at that point. i also live an hour away, anywho, does anyone know of any other reasons why the car might still be turning to the right? you cant screw up an alignment can you? anyway, any help from anyone is appreciated. thanks!
  • Options
    martycalimartycali Member Posts: 3
    Thanks Heyqa for the real info. YOKES!! I just got a sentra yesterday now I am MAD! I had rented one a few weeks ago for several days, and liked it. it was a smooth ride, which is important to me. But after driving my new 2001 axe for a day, I notice I feel EVERY bump in the road. That is why I came here, to ask. then I see a suspension related recall! do you think this rough ride could have something to do with the suspension problem recall? I am ticked now. Anyone else have this problem? Thanks.