Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Nissan Sentra 2006 and earlier

Comments

• bobcatbobbobcatbob Member Posts: 187
    Can you order a Sentra with ABS? Anyone have experience with ordering? Is it worth the hassle ?
  • rcsentrarcsentra Member Posts: 2
    I have a black 2001 SE with PP,A/T,sunroof,and ABS. The 6 disc changer was the only option I skipped because I thought i would like the extra space there. However, after reading the posts I just couldn't pass up those deals on the nissan site and ordered the changer for $126. As far as getting a sentra with ABS you are going to have to wait a long time. In March 2000, I went to a NY area nissan dealer to get a sentra se loaded. I knew they wouldn't have what i wanted and ordered it. I was in no hurry and figured it would take 2-3 months. They told me 2 months. Well, it took about 6 months. I got the car in september and it was a 2001 by that time. The dealers suck and so does nissan's dont care 800 line. They never had an answer for when the car would come in. I hate Nissan and the Dealers, but I love my sentra.If you are willing to wait you might as well try to order an Se-R. You could have it by 2003 if it ever comes out.By the way, I work at a toll bridge in NY and see the car carriers taking cars to nissan dealers on long island and there are still very few sentra se's going that way and most of the ones that i see are gold(no offense to anyone out there) and dont have abs.I dont understand why nissan cant make these loaded se's.I haven't seen any out there but mine and its been almost a year now.
  • kstephankstephan Member Posts: 41
    I guess I was just really lucky to get an SE 5-speed w/PP and the ABS/side airbags package. I went through the local Autobytel agent at a Nissan dealership in Seattle; I spec'd my wishlist to him on Wednesday, and by Thursday, he'd called to say he found a few examples in black or radium. By Saturday, I was driving off in my ABS-equipped SE. I wonder if going through Autobytel (or something similar) increases your chances over just having a regular Nissan dealer try to find one w/ABS?

Also, it really surprises me that more ABS-equipped SEs aren't available on the East Coast, as the need for ABS is greater there, with the bad winters and all. The Sentras are made in Mexico, which would seem to lend itself to fairly even distribution, but who knows?

Side note: One pet peeve about the Sentra (practically the only; I'm really happy with it)is that the interior plastics, esp. the glovebox,
    scratch incredibly easily. I wish they'd use materials that didn't permanently show every errant fingernail scrape. Plus, my passengers often get into the car with backpacks or purses, and tend to scrape them across the glovebox, so it looks like hell already, after less than 3000 miles. In comparison, my Honda Civic wasn't great in that regard, but the plastic pieces resisted scratches much better than the Nissan does.
  • shera07shera07 Member Posts: 2
    i'm planning to buy a 2001 sentra se (automatic with side air bags/abs, sunroof, cd changer) very soon and wanted to know if anybody could tell me what they paid for theirs or what they think a good price to bargain for is. thanks.
  • shriqueshrique Member Posts: 338
    I have a dilema here. I'm trying to choose between these two cars. The price difference on Carsdirect.com is only about $1k(the Pro is cheaper). My quandry is the fact that the Sentra is getting very good press and has 15 more HP. Both seem to be about the same when it comes to maintenance. I've driven both and I found the Pro to be roomy and very tight and the Sentra to be a little smaller inside but it had more kick. Both felt very solid on the road and both were pretty quiet. I will admit the steering on the Pro felt a bit more responsive compared to the Sentra but they both glued to the road pretty well on clover leafs.

I posted this same message in the Protege board to get a competing opinion. Any insite you guys have to help me make this decision would be great!

Thanks.
    I think a lot of people--myself included--went through the same thing, as the cars are pretty evenly matched. It might come down to which you can make a better deal on, which one has a dealership you prefer, or which one looks better to you. I chose the Sentra SE, partly for the following reasons:

I think if you option the cars identically, the Sentra will be the less expensive of the two. You have to add a lot to the basic Protege ES to bring it up to SE w/PP spec. I'm pretty sure the ES doesn't have limited-slip differential, which the SE w/PP does. That's significant...it makes a noticeable handling difference.

Finally, that 15-hp advantage for the Sentra isn't insignificant. And if you wait for the SE-R, it will *trounce* the Protege MP3, the current hot Mazda sedan.
  • katraakkatraak Member Posts: 33
    I see that you have a toss up between Sentra SE, Protege ES and the Subaru WRX. You know what? In my mind there is no question as to what I would choose if I can afford either of those. The Subaru WRX. The biggest plus being AWD.You just cannot compare the WRX to the Protege or the Sentra. But in any case you cannot spring the cash to get the subie then I would go with the SE w/PP. If you are a performance kind of guy and like manuals then I would get the SE. Sentra SE manual w/PP gets the limited slip differential which itself is worth as much as you pay for the whole package. If you live in the snow belt then I'm sure you will thank the LSD each time you venture into the snow.
    The SR20DE is extremely reliable and also like kstephen said a comparably equipped SE will cost less than the Protege. But in all fairness I have to mention that Mazda currently has good promotions like, 0% financing, free sunroof, S plan and the like. You should test drive both of them and get what you like best.
    But, if I were you I would wait for the Sentra SE-R and the Spec V. For the same price you can get an SE-R over the current SE and there is no Mazda that can compare with the SE-R, the MP3? sorry.
  • gserep1gserep1 Member Posts: 92
    Hello,
    Whats' going on? I have not heard from you lately. I wrote this nice entry the other day and it got lost way out in cyberspace. Only after I lost the message did I discover how to save them. Too bad for all the messages that I lost.

So when are you going back to Alabama, my friend? Are you trying to soak up all of the "coolness" that you can stand before getting back into the land of "humidity"? Smart man.

I will be venturing up to the Bay Area of San Francisco tomorrow, and I will be back on Monday. I really wished that we could get a chance to meet before you left California.

Keep in touch and let me know if you have a little time to spare and spend with an old friend.

Gotta run now,
    GSEREP1
  • katraakkatraak Member Posts: 33
    At your hotmail address.
    I was at a dealer yesterday and was asking about the new SE-R due out this fall. Has anyone heard pricing yet? the onyl word the delaership gave me was: "Under $20,000."

I am mostly interested in a loaded SE or a loaded SE-R with an auto tranny.

Thanks.
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    Word is...the SE-R will ONLY come with a 6 speed. I know that's official on the Spec-V. I've heard mumblings about the SE-R too.

Contact Nissan directly. Salespeople at dealerships are woefully undereducated about their products...save for BMW, Infiniti and Lexus salesguys.
    The SE-R will have a 4 speed auto tranny, according to the Nissan website. I was hoping there had been rumors about pricing out at this point....
  • manavimanavi Member Posts: 150
    Has anyone else read the review of the new SE-R in the latest issue of Car and Driver (or was it Motor Trend)? It is not a full test drive review, but they do say they drove the new SE-R and give some impressions regarding the car. Interesting that there is a test drive in this magazine and there is still no pricing data released. The review did not give any hard numbers regarding performance, only general impressions and estimations. The car test driven was the Spec-V and the review said that, due to the limited slip, the car absolutely rockets out of corners. The article states pricing is estimated to start at around $17000, I would assume for the base SE-R.

Oh, the article also stated that the SE-R is replacing the SE, but that the XE and GXE will still be produced. Makes sense.
    ...Having an auto. At least the Spec V is only going to be 6 speed!

BTW, manavi, thanks for the link.
  • SporinSporin Member Posts: 1,066
    The SE-R WON'T be auto ONLY, just auto available.

The SE-R Spec-V wil be 6-speed manual ONLY.
    I'm just lamenting the fact that an auto is offered at all on the SE-R.
  • SporinSporin Member Posts: 1,066
    Sorry, I misunderstood what you said and thought that you thought that the SE-R was auto only. Just trying to help. :-)
  • quark99quark99 Member Posts: 136
    Currently, limited-slip is available on the SE
    only with the stick, making the PP price about 2 bills more....This was the selling feature that made me buy my SE; and the limited-slip IS awesome, exiting corners, taking off from a standstill, and with the right tires, magnificent for driving in the snow. Does anybody know if LS will be avail on autos on these two new Sentra models?
    Also, anybody else out there enjoying their KDW Y-Rated 215-50-16's like I am; just put my second set of 4 tires on at 35,000 miles......(excessive wear at the edges from sliding thru the corners caused me to put a fresh set on...)
    quark
  • lgoldinlgoldin Member Posts: 90
    Glad to see you are still on board. You where one , if not the first of SE owners here and gave a lot of useful info. I am planing to put the same tires as you when original tires wear out.
    To answer your question. According to Nissan LS will be available only on Spec-V, which is only available with 6-sp manual.
    Now, I have a question. Can anybody say what is the proper technic of taking corners with FWD? I doubt it is the same as RWD. There is no school in my area which teaches performance driving. Does anybody know good web site for this?
    Thanks in advance.
    It appears from the specs on the Nissan website that except for the 170-hp 2.5-liter engine (and styling tweaks), the base model SE-R is not much more than a decontented SE w/PP. I'm really surprised the LSD isn't included on the SE-R, but is on the SE w/PP. I wonder if the suspension tuning is the same as the PP, or maybe even a lower spec on the base SE-R. In any case, the overlap seems to confirm that the SE as we know it is gone for 2002.

I guess it makes sense from Nissan's point of view, but for anyone with an SE w/PP, you shouldn't feel like you now have a clearly inferior car. Also, I'm not sure I like the SE-R front end more than the regular one. It would be nice to have the extra 25 hp, though...but you could get that through tuner tweaks, I'm sure.
    I would imagine the interior and packages SE-R will closely resemble (i.e. tamer) the current SE w/ pp as it is replacing one of the curent Sentra models. This is of course wishful speculation as I hope both do not come with the unattractive red and black interior mentioned in the Car and Driver article.

I'd also guess that the GXE will get the 145 HP engine and the XE the base engine.
    The colorful interior on the SE-R Spec-V is pretty gross, although not quite as pinkish in reality as the C&D photo makes it appear. I'm not sure if the regular SE-R gets the same interior scheme. The Spec-V does have special seats of some sort, so maybe only it gets the wild colors.

I have kind of mixed feelings about the new SE-R, because of its appearance. I'm sure the Spec-V will be sensational to drive, but I wish they had a two-door coupe (or even hatchback) version instead of tarting up the four-door somewhat tastelessly. I always liked that the old SE-R was subtle. It was all about real performance, not flash. But I guess flash sells...
  • mdrivermdriver Member Posts: 385
    They do have a hatchback, unfourtunately we live on the wrong side of the Atlantic to get it. The European 3 door hatchback is quite attractive compared to the US sedan, which we have been saddled with because marketers think all Americans love sedans and hate hatchbacks. Of course they are wrong.
    mdriver, I know from British car mags that Nissan has a model in Europe like you describe, the Almera. I wasn't sure if that's their Sentra equivalent, but it sounds like it is. I have no idea what the Japanese equivalent is called--maybe it's an Almera too.

I don't know if I'd be quite as critical of the U.S. sedan's looks (I mean, I have to like it--I own one!), but I definitely agree there should be some other model offered as well. You're right; a lot of us don't hate hatchbacks. I wish Nissan hadn't become so afraid of building two-door cars. Remember those days when they had the 300ZX, 240SX, original SE-R, and NX2000? Maybe it can happen again. And let us have the Skyline too.
    Hello Everyone,
    It has been a while for me. I have been out of town on business. I did get the new Mobil 1 0W-30 synthetic oil installed last week, and it has really made a difference. However, the BIGGEST change came from the oil filter. Both Purolator and AC make oil filters that really work for the SE. They are bigger than the stock filter, and both have a big anti-drain back valve inside. These filters allow the use of 4 quarts of oil instead of the partial 4th quart as with the stock filter.

The start-up noise that is common with the stock filter is gone now, and it runs great. As soon as I can get a mileage average, I will report it to you.

I would tell anyone that is considering changing from regular to synthetic oil to "JUST DO IT"... IT IS WORTH IT!!

Thanks again,
    GSEREP1
  • bphillips5bphillips5 Member Posts: 6
    I'm liking the SE but I wonder if it's really worth the extra $2K. I mean, I'm not gonna race it and it's only 0.2 L difference in engine size. Any thoughts?

b
    Hello There,
    I will start off first by saying that the SE is not for everyone...hence the GXE, XE, and the CA. Someone has to buy the other cars....I am just glad that it is not me.

There is a world of difference between the SE and the others. If you have been following specifications at all you will see that the "measly" .2L difference equates to 19 horsepower more, at very little fuel expense. It is just a blast to drive. 122 hp to 145 hp is nothing to sneeze at in my book.

The seats are infinitely better in the SE, as is the suspension and brakes. The stiffer suspension results in a much stiffer ride, but performance people really do appreciate it.

The SE also gives you rear disc brakes for safer stopping. If the performance package is also selected, a wealth of extra goodies are included. These goodies include a variable flow muffler that produces backpressure at slow speeds, and then opens up to allow greater flow at high speeds.

In closing, let me say that I ENJOY my car immensely, and would not trade it for any other Sentra variation currently available . If performance is not the most important thing about your car, then the GXE, XE, or the environmentally friendlier CA may suit your tastes. There is no CORRECT answer on this one, To each his own in that respect. Any of the Sentras are excellent cars, but SOME of us want just a little MORE!

Good luck on your choice. Please write us back and tell us what you finally purchased.

Thanks again,
    GSEREP1
  • zhzzhz Member Posts: 29
    The biggest difference that is easiest to SEE is that there are much more GXE on the road (maybe in dealership parking lot). Of course SE has much better goodies. But GXE still can kick some [non-permissible content removed], i.e. anything slower than GXE. GXE has more power than Civic LX. GXE is more like $3000 less than SE.
    Can you tell what kind of car I have? yeah, GXE.
    If I have more money, I'd buy SE too. But if I have even more money, I'd get a Maxima.
    BTW, you can get an ALTIMA GXE which costs about the same (or less) as an Sentra SE if you don't need sports feature of SE.
    I like GXE for its price/power/feature combination.
    I don't think XE is a very good choice. Imagine a 5sp w/o tachometer. Actually, it's not that bad.
    The SE makes the little Sentra feel sporty. The stiffer suspension and more powerful 2L engine make the SE well worth the extra clams in my opinion.

BTW, someone wrote "I don't think XE is a very good choice. Imagine a 5sp w/o tachometer."

Why do you need a tach? I'm 27, I've been driving 5 speeds for 17 years and I NEVER look at the tach for shift points. In fact my old Nissan Stanza XE doesn't have a tach and I never miss it. In the 3 months I've owned my 01 Jetta 1.8T, I've only looked at the tach to figure out why my engine screams so much at 85.
    You must be a big guy. 10 years old and driving stick. It must be hard to push the clutch.
    I said XE..... but that's only my opinion. Tach. is good at least for break-in period. It's also good for gas milage. It looks nice too. I didn't have tach. for my old car either.
    The biggest difference between the GXE ad SE is the better handling on the SE. But anyone looking at the GXE would find it well worth looking at a Hyundai Elantra with its standard 140HP. I think the Elantra is better built and offers many features not even found on the Sentra SE, like power windows that continue to operate after the key is removed. That particular feature is often found only on high end luxury cars. Also, the 5yr/60k b to b warranty is hard to overlook. I would never have given the Elantra a chance unless a friend had bought one. After driving that one, I am convinced it is probably the best small car available. The fact that you can get one for about $12k fully loaded, should put to rest any resale value fears, not that the Sentra is very good in that area either.
    Actually kinda small. Started out driving the old 83 Nissan Pulsar and Toyota/Nissan trucks.

mdriver: Yeah, the Sentra is a darn good value for the money and class. But the power window thing is on many chevys too. Don't think that['s much of a luxury feature.
  • dannym11dannym11 Member Posts: 18
    the other big difference is the engine. With the SE you can also get the performance package, which gets you a lot of goodies for the money - viscous limited slip diferential, front strut sway bar, firmer suspension, nice alloy wheels, 180w stereo...
  • bphillips5bphillips5 Member Posts: 6
    mdriver: I have also thought of the Elantra as an alternative to the Sentra GXE but I've heard that the Sentra 1.8L is actually better than the Elantra (2.0?). Obviously I'd know if I'd had a chance to test drive the Elantra. Also, the 3.9% financing from Nissan (only til 8/31!!) is tempting and the Nissan dealer here is pretty good.
    You still cannot compare the list of features on the Elantra with the Sentra. An Elantra (with the $500 rebate) with ABS and standard side air bags, power windows, auto, heated mirrors, electrically operated ventilation controls, 15" Michelins, etc. is about the same price as the stripper Sentra XE. In fact, ABS is all but impossible to get on any Sentra, especially the SE. No 5yr/60k b to b or 10yr/100k powertrain warranty on the Sentra.
    That's interesting how things are different in Canada. ABS,traction control and side airbags are not even an option in Canadian version of Elantra. And if you want all power options you have to go automatic. The warranty is the same as Japanese cars. Sentra SE here includes ABS in P/P along with some options you can't find in Elantra in any price, such as limited slip differential, factory installed immobilizer. I guess Hyundai doesn't consider Canada as a valuable market. 8-)
    That's their selling point along with low prices. They offer a huge warranty and crazy low prices to suck in buyers.

Show me a large number of Hyundais on the road, running well with over 100k miles. I'd say finding that with Nissan is pretty easy.
    Why would they need to offer that long a warranty? I'll take a Nissan over a Hyundai anytime...

Now, has anyone seen any prices on the SE-R yet?
    If a long warranty is a sign of poor quality, then Lexus and Acura must be no better than Hyundais, and VWs with their 2yr/24K b to b warranty, must be bulletproof. Length of warranty has nothing to do with quality, but I bet Sentra owners would not turn down a 5yr/60k b to b warranty and say I don't need one. Sentras are not exactly super high reliable cars, as Consumer Reports claims they are about average reliability overall.

Today, the reliability difference between the best and worst cars is relatively small and I suspect the Elantra is at least as good as the Sentra. I used to own a Sentra and back then, I would never have considered a Hyundai. But after driving one (2001 Elantra), I am very impressed with the quality - and I am hard to please.
    That's might be right what you are saying, but this you are in a wrong thread. More appropriate would be "Elantra vs. ???" if you wish.
    The Spec V is the only SE-R to get the "special lava colored interior appointments." As I speculated last week, I think interior of the base SE-R will be more like the 2001 Sentra.

Also on nissannews.com, Nissan introduced all of the X-Terra, Frontier ans Sentra...With the exception of both SE-R models. What is the deal with that?
  • camryv6camryv6 Member Posts: 42
    I WOULD BUY A HYNDI BECAUSE ITS CHEAP AND YOU GET THAT GOOD WARRANTY. AND I WOULD SELL IT BEFORE THE WARRANTY ENDS.
    I would buy a Hyundai too IF I didn't own a 1988 Excel before. I kept telling myself that newer ones a much much better built. But the older Hyundai gave me a very bad impression/experience. I didn't need the power Elantra offers (140+HP, extra goodies). I don't want to see either frontal airbags or side airbags to go off on me. Several friends had told me that it's NOT a good feeling.
    That's why I got a Sentra GXE.
    GXE is in the same price range as the base model Elantra.
    It's also not a good feeling when one's steering wheel meets one's teeth. An air bag may bruise you but at least you will increase your survival chances.

1988 Excel? If I was talking about the reliability of, say, a new Focus, maybe I should imply that they are still unreliable because the Model T was also unreliable. Beleive it or not, Toyotas had a reputation for junk up until about the mid seventies.
  • abbaabba Member Posts: 17
    Just took home my new Sentra SE. This car re-defines the term "econosport". Great value, reliability and fun! It looks much better than photos suggest too.

Prospective buyers should know that Nissan is offering $500 rebates on all Sentra models.

By the way, I've NEVER seen ANY reliability reports that ranked the Elantra and Sentra the same, as claimed in eariler posts. I'll put my long term trust in a Nissan over a Hyundai any day.
  • dannym11dannym11 Member Posts: 18
    enjoy your ride. You might want to check out
    www.b15sentra.net - it's a decent site with plenty of info.
  • narenjinarenji Member Posts: 161
    Regarding the Hyundai vs. Nissan issue, no doubt Nissan has a better reputation for reliability, but I'm sure Hyundai wants to catch up and that warranty gives you some piece of mind. But I wonder how different reliability ratings would be for Automatic vs. 5-spd Hyundai Elantras. I would guess that the 5 spd is more reliable. Automatics are complicated to start with, and while most manufacturers can make good 5-spds, many still have problems making a durable automatic. From the posts in the Elantra discussion boards, they've been pretty reliable, especially the 5-spds. While Hyundai's warranty is nice, you don't really want to use it often. It's a pain in the rear. If your car breaks down, you have to leave it at the dealer, get a rental and then get the car back later. It's much nicer to not have to take the car into the dealer at all.

When I bought my Sentra SE I looked and drove the Elantra. While the engine and shifter were ok, the brakes were mushy and didn't inspire confidence. I do like the Elantra's design and have to applaud Hyundai's efforts to bring a good car with a very reasonable price tag to such a competitive market. And if you do get a Hyundai, you can't sell it before the warranty expires. Your car is going to have very bad resale value. It would be better to keep it longer. The powertrain warranty is for 100k miles anyway.
  • erhein2erhein2 Member Posts: 11
    I have a 2001 GXE which my daughter drives to school. Recently she had an accident where someone hit her broadside and, since she was traveling forward at the time, damage was done all down the pasenger side from the front wheel to the rear wheel. The car has been repaired, but it is not handling correctly. When it travels over a "dip" in the road surface which causes the front suspension to travel down, then up, as the suspension travels down, the steering wheel turns sharply to the right. I'm told that an alignment was done and double checked, but, clearly something is still not right. Does this possibly ring a bell with someone who knows suspensions? We've got it going back in tomorrow to be checked again. Thanks for any help anyone can offer.
  • corkfishcorkfish Member Posts: 537
    I don't care what anyone says, if the frame was bent on a car it'll never be the same. They can straighten it out alright so everything measures up, but under various circumstances a defect will make itself known.