Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge/Plymouth/Chrysler Minivan Problems & Solutions

Comments

• carleton1carleton1 Member Posts: 560
    or did you buy it as an ABUSED vehicle? Since DC minivans are the most commonly available minivan for rental or fleet usage, there is a very high possibility any used Grand Caravan was abused while driven by someone who did NOT own the vehicle.
    Owners of vehicles do not abuse a vehicle whereas most renters or driver's of a fleet vehicle drive in a very irresponsible manner.
  • enetheneth Member Posts: 285
    I know of at least a dozen people who've owned DaimlerChrysler minivans, and have required transmission replacements on them. All of them purchased brand-new minivans, and at least a couple of them are even more fanatical about maintenance than I am - it's by the book and by the dealer.

A failed transmission in a DaimlerChrysler minivan is a matter of course - not a matter of abuse, in many circumstances.
  • gunga64gunga64 Member Posts: 271
    Everyone I know that has owned a dodge or chrysler has had the ac go out on it not once but twice or more. Everytime I meet someone that owned a Dodge or Chrysler I ask them right up front did you ac go out, they say yes I then ask them did it go out again they say yes. IIn fact I just spoke to my statefarm rep and she said exactly above. It appears that they last about 1 1/2 years or 2 years then bamm they go bad. Then right after the normal warrenty is over bamm bad again. I know people that have replaced their ac 4 times.

When went looking for a new car the dealer tryed to sell me a used Dodge Caravan, I said no I do not buy Dodge/Chrysler, he asked why I said because they don't know how to make ac.
    He tells me well maybe they figured out how to build them now. I told him since they never acknowledged the problem existed, why would they fix it.
  • scannerscanner Member Posts: 295
    As I've never had any transmission or AC problems.

http://carpoint.msn.com/Vip/UsedRelOver/Dodge/Caravan/Used.asp

• royallenroyallen Member Posts: 227
    Mark(buckeye74), Returning to your question from yesterday, no recall has been mentioned here and is not likely but you could check at www.autosafety.org. There have been owners that have had major help from Chrysler even though out of warranty. The strongest case requires documentation of preventive maintenance as specified in the owners manual. You might check out Consumer Reports Oct '99 article "Hidden Warranties" p.20-23. One poster on these boards, Hoofer, had a failure of his '96 tranny at 65000 and with complete maintenance record had most of the replacement covered by CC.
    On the topic of AC, I have a '95 Caravan with no AC failure, or even need for service, at 6 years and 70000 mi. Obviously the truth is somewhere between "they all fail" and "no one I know has had a single problem".
  • h20guyh20guy Member Posts: 64
    that I know out of 25 people: they have had Zero trans problems in 200,000 miles.It must be the weather or something ,can anyone please figure it out? If you live in places that don't relate to others thats what makes vehicles break down RIGHT? OH P.S. these 25 people are all my close friends. ;)) READ MY PROFILE. PPS Forgot to tell you I told my Sister to buy a Caravan. ;)
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    Honda Accords are obviously not vans and have nothing to do with vans, so please stay on topic. In addition to this, comparing an early '90s era Honda versus basically the entire decade ('90-'00) of Chrysler minivans is not really a fair comparison, especially considering the extremely small sample size of under 10 people.

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • jlewellingjlewelling Member Posts: 14
    Anyone who claims the pre-1996 Grand Caravan did not have tranny problems is either misinformed or delusional. Tranny failures on these cars were the norm! Check any compiled list of repair records for the Grand Caravan. For the Caravan, esp., the 4-cyl. version, the rate of Tranny failure was much lower. The number of 1996-2001 DC Tranny failures does not seem to be high.

The 1996-1997 4 cyl. Mitsubishi engines, however, have had lots of problems. In fact, I have been told that Mitsubishi is actually Japanese for "piece of crap." The only good thing about the 4 cyl. Caravan is that it is hard to really get lost driving the car, because you can backtrack you route by following the fresh oil spots. Hey, it not leaking oil "it's just marking it's territory."

The main thing to remember is that when you think about Dodge, you have to think about "Dodge years." A regular year for a normal car is about 3 years for a Dodge. That means my 1996 Caravan is actually a 15 year- old van. No wonder it costs so much to keep in on the road!
  • edgarmacedgarmac Member Posts: 6
    My new van is fine, except:
    The large, almost horizontal windshield and huge expanse of dashboard produce an enormous amount of heat if left in the sun for even a short time, and the heat radiates for a long time. I've never felt the need for one of those folding sun shields in my 89 van but with the new van it takes the AC quite a while to get things comfortable. And someone told me recently that there have been instances of the reflective shields causing windshield damage (cracks or some such) but this could be one of those urban legends that the internet people talk about.
  • macmg3macmg3 Member Posts: 3
    We have bene fortunate enough to have owned two DC minivans and am happy to say I've never had a problem with either one. Our first was a 98 DGC SE and went to 70k miles with zero problems. Our newer 00 T&C LX is going on 24k and also has been troublefree. Both vehicles have been and are a pleasure to own and drive. Problems with these vans to me and my family seem remote to non-existant as they have always offered a means of reliable and comfortable transportation.
  • busybeegmmbusybeegmm Member Posts: 1
    We own a 94 Dodge Grand Caravan SE with 131,000 miles. We have front and rear A/C. About 2 years ago, we experienced A/C problems. We would have to have the system charged twice a summer just to get thru, but last summer the charge would only last about one week. We recently had the following repairs done: New Front Evaporator,
    H block, and Dryer. Is there any truth to the rumor that a Class Action Law suit is in the works for these Dodge A/C's? Our mechanic said he does an average of two Dodge van A/C evaporator's a week during the summer. I read it somewhere, just not sure if it was on this site.
  • fergy3fergy3 Member Posts: 1
    My van is in great shape and has been a trouble free vehicle. HOWEVER, recently the paint has started to peel off the roof. Does Dodge even want to hear about it on a 7 year old van? Looking for some guidance. Took some photos, who can I send them too??
  • irfanhirfanh Member Posts: 2
    I have a 92 Grand Voyager LE and for the past couple of month I have experiened a wierd problem, dealar have'nt figured it out yet either.

Usually on freeway, when I am doing 55 to 65, after a few minutes, all of a sudden the speedometer needle starts to move freely between 55 and 100. At this point I know the problem is starting. A little later the movement becomes quick like a pendulum, going back and forth, and as soon as the needle gets close to the 90 or 100 mph mark the car takes a jerk. I am only doing 60 or so at this time. At that point the needle either stays at 100 and the van wont accelerate OR it would swing back towards the 60 mark but as soon as I accelerate the needle starts going towards 100 again and again the van takes a jerk. This may go on for a while then I may be able to maintain 60. But the speedometer needle is still moving slowly around the 60 mark and as if just waiting to go back to the 100mph mark.

I have had so much trouble with this as it happened when we were driving back to Virginia from NewYork. I had no choice but to manage 50mph.
    It looks like the jerk is somehow related to the speedometer needle.

I have had the transmission checked, and electrical testing done as well. Dealer says, bring it when it is actually doing it.
    But would really appreciate if anyone has any ideas or suggestion or has experienced anything like this before.
    thanks for your help
    =>Irfan

thanks to everyone who responded to this in the 'vans' section before I was asked to move my problem in this section.
  • gschgsch Member Posts: 2
    Well, I just got off the phone with the dealer and he told me I need a new trans. I bought it new in Feb. 1998, it now has 49,000 miles. I don't have an extended warranty. The cost to replace the trans is $2200, sounds high. After reading this message board, I see I'm not alone, CC really has a problem.

The problem with the trans is that it goes immediately into limp mode. I thought that it might be the speed sensor,but the dealer doesn't think so. He said 9 out of 10 times it is, but this time, its not.

I contact CC at 1-800 992-1997, and through their participation program we negotiated my cost to $770. I think that CC recognizes they have a problem.

I thought that this van would last me at least 6 years. I've had Fords, Chevys, Lincolns and GM and never had a problem with the trans under 120000 miles. This is the first CC products I've owned and probably the last.

Does anyone have any thoughts or similar stories
    Greg: Your case will help others faced with out of warrantee problems. Some have stated suspicions that failures are due to use of Dexron fluid by mistake. Any chance this could have happened to you?
    I think CC added an "auxiliary" transmission cooler as a factory installed part in '99. I put one on my '95 Caravan and would recommend it to you if not already in place.
    Next April, the Consumer Reports auto survey data for April '01 will give you an indication if more of the '98s than average are having problems. Average is 2-5% at this age. The comparable data for the '97 GC, reported last April (from the April '00 survey) showed above average transmission problems at 5-9.3%. This may be part of the reason CC is providing the partial repair cost you received.
  • gschgsch Member Posts: 2
    Roy, I only had the van in for service at a CC dealer. Hopefully they used the correct Fluid. Do you know what mileage/frequency CC recommends for PM of trans?

Thanks for the info on CR. I'll look for it.
    You might check your owner's manual. Mine has 2 schedules and most owners follow the "severe" service schedule of new fluid and filter every 15K. Buy the way, severe services includes frequent trips less than 5 miles. My own modification is to siphon the fluid and not replace the filter every other service.
  • jodar96jodar96 Member Posts: 400
    We have a 97 GC LE with 3.3L engine. So far since new, we have replaced leaky transmission selenoid pack, belt tensioner, water pump, and two days ago the starter.

We have not experienced any transmission problem (Knock on wood!) I had the fluid and filter replaced at 50K, and 75K at Dodge dealer. One time when it was icy, I was backing out of garage, I put in forward while it was going in reverse fearing getting stuck. The transmission went into limp mode, but then after a day, it snapped out of it, and it has been fine since then.

I think Dodge GCare still the best looking vans around. It is roomy and it is well layed out. It has excellent highway ride, and its 24MPG is decent.
  • scoyle1scoyle1 Member Posts: 14
    Avoid DaimlerChrysler products at all costs!! They are unresponsive as a company

Well,

My wife called Chrysler today, and here is a transcript of the telephone call.

Wife - "I am calling because I recently saw numerous reports on the potential for a fuel leak in the Town & Country minivan, and we recently purchased a Town & Country minivan. I want to know what you are going to do about this problem."

Mathew Long from the DaimlerChrysler Recall Center - "this test wasn't done by Chrysler. It was done by an insurance company."

Wife - "Not an insurance company, by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety."

Mathew Long from DaimlerChrysler - "Chrysler has tested the car 50 times and was unable to replicate the results. There is no problem, and there is no action to be taken."

Wife - "Well if there is no problem, why did you redesign the 2002 model?"

Mathew Long from from DaimlerChrysler - "For safety's sake."

Wife - "That is exactly right, for safety's sake."

Mathew Long from from DaimlerChrysler - "Well we are always redesigning cars for safety's sake. We are always making them safer."

Wife - "I have had the car for 3 weeks. I refuse to drive it. I am not going to explode in an impact. I can not get my daughter out of the car seat quickly enough. I want to know what Chrysler is going to do."

Mathew Long from from DaimlerChrysler - "Nothing."

Wife - "So you are saying that for safety's sake it was redesigned, but you are going to do nothing."

Mathew Long from DaimlerChrysler - "I am sorry, but it is our position."

The DaimlerChrysler recall center then gave my wife the number 1-800-992-1997 for customer service in Detroit. I have called the dealer to return the car. Luckily, the dealer had a 30 day/1,000 mile return policy. Needless to say. They are very unhappy with me and said that the report was media induced, yada, yada, yada.
  • lion5lion5 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 94 Grand Caravan LE and have had the engine shut off while I am driving several times. It always happens when the A/C is running. We've been to several dealer service departments and they tell us they have it fixed then within 6 months we have the problem again. Has anyone else had this happen to them? If so, were you able to have it fixed and how was it fixed?
  • wilsoncj6wilsoncj6 Member Posts: 10
    i'm about to take in my 96 pgv to check to see if all the recalls were performed on it prior to when i bought it in march. a couple of the recalls have to do with the gas tank/neck. i remember reading some posts where gas tanks were replaced. i think this had something to do with the recalls and the gas gauge only registering 13-14 gallons. is that right? anything else specific i should ask them to check while i'm there? i couldn't find a recall on the tensioner that breaks, should i try to get them to replace that? am i going to have to be forceful to get them to correct the recall problems or should they be fixing those for free without any questions? i have printed out some tsb summeries on the wiper problems, the water leak from the hvac housing onto the passenger side floor, the vehicle shudder during torque converter emcc operation (mine shudders evertime when i do 42-44 mph), and on the bump in the powertrain when the a/c is on (mine does that infrequently, but when it does it doesn't feel good). anything else i should ask about while i'm there? thanks!
  • holland11holland11 Member Posts: 1
    Ever since I replaced my battery on my van all the lights blink, for about 20 minutes,on the climate control panel. Does anyone know how to program it ? thanks
  • 4aodge4aodge Member Posts: 288
    i remember we had a similar experience with our 98 grand caravan se when we replaced our battery for the first time at 45k miles. the tachometer needle would swing back and forth along with the spedometer needle. in addition, the yellow lights on the climate control buttons flashed and flickered. to solve this problem we simply took the van into our 5 star dodge/chrysler dealership and they fixed it by tinkering with the car's computer systems. after that, everything worked great and the car was back to normal. hope this helps!

-Adam (16/M/CA)
  • tom193tom193 Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2001 Dodge Caravan SE with the 3.3 V6. 9,000 miles. Runs well. Just one annoying problem is a buzzy vibration at various speeds. Quite noticeable at 45-50 MPH as I take my foot off the accelerator or as I speed up. Sounds likes exhaust is coming into contact with sub-frame. Checked twice by dealership. They felt all was normal. Untrue. Heard that there is a TSB on this. Not sure. Could use some help.
    Thanks All... Tom
  • carleton1carleton1 Member Posts: 560
    My niece and her husband have a T&C purchased USED that they pull a trailer with. It has 150,000 miles and transmission went out last week.
    This is the E-Mail reply from my sister when I asked for details: "They have driven over 150,000 miles. They have needed it to pull their trailor, so I'm sure that put extra stress on the transmission. With your loving care, I'm sure your Caravan will prove dependable as ours. It will cost around $1500. They had it towed to North Platte (free towing as Chrysler is fixing transmission). (Name deleted) will get it tomorrow ."
    FYI, my sister's 86 Caravan SE they got as a USED vehicle, had 170,000 miles when they sold it. The 3rd owner is still enjoying trouble free service. BTW, the transmission went out in their 93 Ford Taurus at 130,000 miles but no problems with the 86 Caravan.
  • drv4fundrv4fun Member Posts: 16
    I have a 97 dodge grand caravan (66k miles) and just recently while driving, the odometer and the speedometer stopped working. Has anyone experienced this before?
    When we got to our destination, I turned off the engine, started back up and the tach was working again. It looks like a electrical problem but just wondering if anyone has seen it before.
    Any feedback will be appreciated.
    Thanks!
  • bgkhnabgkhna Member Posts: 1
    My friend and I discovered that we both had trouble with Town & Country A/I (1999)not cooling very quickly. It's fine when we get to highway speed. He lives in Florida, so it's a big problem.
    We didn't have this problem when we owned Caravans.
    The units have been serviced and charged properly.
    Can anything be done?
  • gmusic7gmusic7 Member Posts: 42
    does anyone know where i can purchase longer lasting aftermarket brake pads and rotors?

the brake pads/shoes were last changed just this past march '01. the front brake pads were replaced again just the other day.

is it normal for the brake pads to wear quickly on these vehicles? or is it my dad's driving habits (he drives it to work everyday)? or both?
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    I would say no but how many miles has been put on the van since new pads? If I'm reading you right they have only been on for a little over 4 months. I don't think even taxi drivers wear them out that fast. It it is only 4 months I would say they weren't installed right or something is sticking and not completely releasing the brakes.
  • gmusic7gmusic7 Member Posts: 42
    dmathews3: you're probably right.

part of this problem is my dad's driving habits: pressing the brake pedal late when approaching a stop sign or stop light and the infamous riding the brakes. argh!!!!!!!!!!

according to the mechanic, he said the front brake pads were getting really hot and was warping the rotors. the brakes were also squeaking loud. after a while of that loud squeaking, my dad finally decided to get it checked. anyhow, new front brake pads again and no noise. we'll see how long it will last.

by the way, i found previous receipts: last may 2000 all brake pads/shoes were changed - 48300 miles. then they were all changed again this past march 2001 - 56K+ miles which means all the pads lasted for less than 1 year and only around 8,000 miles.
  • jodar96jodar96 Member Posts: 400
    I replaced the original ones in our 97 DGC at 47K mile, and again at 78K. I used Bendix pads. The rotors are original with no turning at all at 83K now. They shake a little, but nothing annoying yet. I got Bendix rotors for my 95 Stratus, and was very happy with them.
  • mharris9mharris9 Member Posts: 9
    My brother and his family were on their way back from vacation in their 3week-old GC, and they experienced major engine trouble. They were stranded along the interstate(with a 4-yr old). The van is currently at the dealership where the early prognosis is a thrown rod, and major resulting damage. Does anyone here familiar with Dodge think that he may get a new van? I don't know because I've never had it happen. I hope that they do what is right. Needless to say, he is less than happy to think that his new van is about to undergo major engine work.

If Dodge says that it won't hurt the resale of the van, I'd be curious to see what they'd give him for the van if he took the van straight from the service department after the repairs, and asks what they'd give him for a trade-in. I think I already what has happened to his trade-in value in 3 weeks.
  • ketterdketterd Member Posts: 1
    I just replaced the battery on my 1999 Town & Country and had the same problem you described. Four lights blinked on and off together. My resourceful wife was speaking to a Chrysler customer support person about an unrelated issue and happened to ask about the flashing lights. Somehow this person knew what to do:

1) Start the vehicle and let it idle
    2) Turn the AC blower switch to its highest setting (all the way to the right)
    3) Turn the AC mode switch to the 'panel' setting (all the way to the left)
    4) Set the temperature level to cold for both the driver and passenger sides
    5) Depress the Rear Washer and Rear Wiper buttons at the same time and hold for 5 seconds
    6) The Rear Wiper, Rear Intermittent Wiper, A/C, and Recirculation buttons will now flash alternately (not in unison as before). Let the van continue to idle. One by one, the lights will stop blinking until only the Rear Wiper light blinks. When this happens, press the Rear Wiper button to end the sequence.

My wife actually performed this voodoo ritual and it worked. So I don't get to take credit for my incredible knowledge of cars or for fixing the problem. But I do get to pass the information on. Good luck.
  • gatogonowgatogonow Member Posts: 17
    To all Chrysler employees, what do you think of working for a company that knows about a major safety issue and refuses to do something about it?

To all people who come to these message boards, beware of the "Chrysler Demons". If you buy a van and it developes a major safety flaw, you will be on your own. Maybe they will respond when one of these poetential "Death Traps" lights up the nightime sky!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • carbarycarbary Member Posts: 1
    Hi Everyone,
    I've dumped $1,100 into my Caravan and still have the same problem. Problem is this: Van runs fine for awhile and usually when I'm at an idle it will suddenly start sputtering and running very rough. If I give it gas it sometimes "comes back to life". If I let it just idle it will usually stall. I'm thinking fuel pump/filter, but when my mechanic hooks it up to the computer it gives all sorts of fault codes EXCEPT for fuel deprivation. I'm really at a loss. It's out of warranty (76K miles) and I DO NOT want to take it to the dealer. The other wierd thing is that it'll run fine for a few days then start it's rough idle thing. However, the frequency of rough idling seems to be increasing.

Should I go ahead and get the fuel pump replaced? My mechanic is beginning to think it's the tranny, but I don't think that's the problem and I don't particularly want to spend $1,800 for a new tranny only to find that's not the problem.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!! Thanks!

Bruce
  • scannerscanner Member Posts: 295
    Bruce,

Yeah, find a competent mechanic!!!

Anyone who knows anything about cars probably would ask if you had the throttle body cleaned? There are several possible causes depending on how your van was maintained. At 76K miles, it could even be something as unlikely as your timing belt if it wasn't changed at 60k miles. Instead of having us guess at all the possibilities, why don't you help by telling us what got for your $1,100 besides ripped off?
    I don't even think its worth listening to gatogonow anymore. He's twisted the facts and made it seem like everyone ridding in a DC minivan is in a time bomb. "Chrysler demonds"? Oh, com'mon. Please tell me that you have something more constructive to do than spread this false information around on the edmunds.com forums.

-Adam
    Let's see, false rumors! Is it true that on two differenct tests the part cracked and on one of the tests it leaked, yes it's true. Is it true that Chrysler immedicately changed the part on current production and redesigned it for 2002 models, yes it's true. When you call Chrysler and ask about the problem do they give you the run around and not specifically answer your questions, yes it's true. Does it seem that Chrysler cares about the safety of those that bought the defective product, no it doesn't!
    Would I or anyone else reccommend dealing with a company that treats its' customers that way, only if you work for them!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • joycemartin16joycemartin16 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2000 Grand Caravan SE. We've had it just under a year. The AC compressor has been replaced four times. Has anyone else had this problem? Our right passenger sliding door also has been a problems. Thanks!
    We have a 2000 Chrysler Town & Country LX with the 3.3L engine and have not had any problems with any of the air conditioning components. To date, we have exactly 26,300 miles on the van.

Joycemartin16, are you taking your van to a FIVE star certified Chrysler dealership? If you have been doing so, I would goto another dealership to get a 2nd and maybe even 3rd opinion on what could be the problem.

What exactly is wrong with your right side passenger door? With more information we might be able to point out how you can fix the problem, or at least what the problem is. Hope this helps!

-Adam
    2000 Town & Country LX
  • odd1odd1 Member Posts: 227
    Come on! A rigged test? IIHS is looking for real result for the insurance companies that sponsor their testing. They aren't trying to sell magazine or commercial time. Do you drive a '01 model pre- July ? If you don't how do you know what the owners of these vehicles think about the test results? Do you know for a fact they aren't concern?

Adam- How about you. Is your family in a '01 model pre-July D/C? If not, then are why you so readily dismissing this test's results? Because your family is not in one of these vans?

I want to know how many people who are defending Chrysler's actions in this matter are actual driving around with their families in a pre-July '01 model year.
  • joycemartin16joycemartin16 Member Posts: 3
    Dear 4Aodge,
    We take the car back to the dealership we bought it from. I am not sure if it is a five star. I called Chrysler today and the service manager called and told me he would personally take care of the problem, so we'll see. As far the the door, it makes a scratching noise as if the glass was contacting something when it closes. They replaced all the hardware and the problem got worse for a couple of days but seems to be better. That particular problem has been fixed two times. I like the van but I know once the warranty runs out, it will be about $500 or more everytime this happens and we live in TN and cannot live without AC.
  • gcintendergcintender Member Posts: 36
    I can count at least one owner of a pre-July DC van who is unconcerned about the test results - yes, that would be me.

The last thing I think about is the possibiliity of a fuel leak, and had I been in the market for a new van now rather that last year when I ordered mine, I'd gladly make the exact same choice. For my needs the DC vans are head and shoulders above the competition.
  • cgaydoscgaydos Member Posts: 116
    "Since the leak did not occur in 50 similar tests conducted by DC, it appears that the leaky fuel problem could be a rigged test like the infamous rigged tests on GMC/Chevy pickups with the "side-saddle" fuel tanks that was headlined by a TV network in a viewer ratings gimmick. " -- carleton1

Get real. We're talking the IIHS here. We're talking a testing methodology that underwent extensive review, was published years in advance, has been utilized on hundreds of other vehicles, and in which all aspects of the test are open to review by vehicle manufacturers (that's why the publishing of the test result was delayed over 4 months to allow DC to fix the problem for the 2002 minivans).

As to the 50 crash tests conducted by DC, other posters in Town Hall have correctly noted that DC's carefully-worded press release never said what sort of crashes were involved (frontal, side, etc), what stage of the vehicle development was involved (earlier stages might have generated very different results), whether fuel was put into the crashed vehicles (can't have a fuel leak without fuel), whether DC examined the tank for cracks (won't find any if you don't look), etc. DC clearly wants us to draw the conclusion that many have here ... that DC ran the identical IIHS frontal offset test 50 times without generating the fuel tank crack that the IIHS found two times out of two (the third IIHS test was with the 2002 fuel tank design and did not have the crack). However, the DC press release was carefully worded to avoid making that statement, because it no doubt is not true.

I suggest you think twice before trying to start rumors like this in the future.
  • kpost2kpost2 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2001 T&C Limited with a AC problem. Its intermittent -- so of course it was working fine when I had it in for service. Thought maybe someone here would have some idea.

Here is the situation -- the car has three zones -- the problem is with the rear zone. The rear zone can be controlled from the front or the rear (set by a nob in front). Every once in a while I'll have it set at 70 or so (controlled from the front/auto control)then suddenly (not when the car is hot but in the middle of a drive when the temp is stable at 70) the rear fans will come on full blast with cold air. They keep going at full blast regardless of what temperature I set the control to (I went up to 86 or so and it kept blowing full blast max fan cold air). However, if I switch it to the rear control (which lets you control temp from a dial on a panel above the middle row seat instead of from the main AC panel) it works fine. Usually it does this on hot days -- but the car isn't hot inside when its doing it. It clearly is some sort of fault in the front control of the rear AC. The guys at the dealer had no clue and seemed to think I didn't set something right -- but its all right and just out of nowhere blasts cold max fan air like that (it doesn't stop either -- but when I shut of the rear or switch the controls to the rear and then another day switch back to front it works -- if I switch back to front in just 5 minutes or so it keeps blasting the cold air).

Does anyone know what this could be? What I could tell the dealer to help them figure it out. I'll try to drive by there when it is happening.

Kelly
  • cgaydoscgaydos Member Posts: 116
    Kelly -- I haven't seen this on my Ltd. I assume that you have the unit in full auto mode when the problem occurs? Do you usually have it on High auto or Low auto? Do you notice if the recirculate function turns on when this happens? Do you have rear passengers when this happens (this may affect the rear temp sensor)? If not, do you carry any special cargo?
  • hayneldanhayneldan Member Posts: 657
    The IIHS tests were reported to the National Highway Transportation Safety Board (NHTSB). They can order a recall if they feel it is a saftey problem. None of your posts will. Were you the one who posted in the NHTSB customer complaints that the test resulted in a catastropic fire? (It did not, as IIHS does not use fuel in their crash tests) If you live in a large city and your newspaper has a "Cars" section try reading it under recalls, DC does do recalls. (i.e Chicago Tribune) This sundays issue listed a half page of recalls by ALL manufacturers.
    No, my family and I are not in a 2001 DC minivan. As I've said numerous times before, we have a 2000 Chyrsler Town & Country LX. In no way am I trying to "readily dismiss" the "questionable" results of the 2001 Dodge Caravan. However, I do not feel as though a minor fuel leak in one of many performed crash tests warrants this kind of paranoid "anti-Chrysler" response, especially from Honda Odyssey owners.

Even if my family and I were driving a 2001 Chrysler Town & Country (pre-july) instead of a 2000, I would not be nearly as concerned and frantic about this issue as others here are, such as GATOGONOW and SCOYLE1. I've also asked my dad about how he would feel if our van was an affected 2001 model. As my dad points out, a fuel leak can occur in any vehicle and in any crash.

Do the Honda Odyssey owners here feel as though their vehicle are immune to a fuel leak? If so, I have news for you. It's not. I'm rather possitive that if you took a 2001 Odyssey and crashed it into a certian object, at a certain angle, and at a certain speed you just may get similar if not worse results than the 2001 DC minivan tested by the IIHS.

If this is such a horrendous problem, than why haven't we heard of numerous DC minivans suddenly exploding into flames after a real-life crash? Surely out of the thousands of pre-july DC minivans out there, some if not many have been involved in serious accidents. And please do not tell me there have been such instances in the past but the report was covered up by greedy and devious Chrysler lawyers.

If this was such a serious problem as GATOGONOW would like us to believe, than the government would FORCE Chrysler to reacall it's minivans. That hasn't happened yet and probably never will. Why? Simply because there is no need to recall over 400,000 minivans because a minor fuel leak occured in one test of out of many performed by both Chrysler and the IIHS.

-Adam
    2000 Chrysler Town & Country
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    "I'm rather possitive that if you took a 2001 Odyssey and crashed it into a certian object, at a certain angle, and at a certain speed you just may get similar if not worse results than the 2001 DC minivan tested by the IIHS."

I believe that is not the point that the IIHS is trying to make. The whole point of having crash tests is that the variables are controlled and the results can be compared to other vehicles. The point is that in this particular test, a test which is representative of a serious real world collision, and a test that is replicable in other crash test facilities, this '01 model had a problem. In over 150 vehicles the IIHS has tested since 1995, only two have had fuel leaks, IIRC. The Isuzu Trooper (which was immediately recalled) and the '01 Chrysler minivan.

"If this was such a serious problem as GATOGONOW would like us to believe, than the government would FORCE Chrysler to reacall it's minivans."

This is easier said than done. Any recall has to involve safety issues, and extensive investigations have to first be conducted by the NHTSA. The fact that the fuel leak occured with in a non-government crash test probably delays this even further. My '94 Chrysler minivan was recalled a few months ago for a steering wheel that could seperate from the column in a collision. Look how long it took them to conduct the investigation, discover the problem, and then recall the vehicle.

A fuel leak is not to be trivialised since it only takes a couple of drops of gasoline and a stray spark to ignite. Considering the fact that minivans are family vehicles, owners who are gravely concerned are justifiably so. Fortunately Town Hall is a place where owners can air their thoughts and feelings on this matter.

As an aside, if the '01 van did not have a fuel leaking issue, we would all probably be discussing the van's "Marginal" IIHS rating.

Good luck,

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
    It is my belief that Chrysler will eventually recall the affected vehicles. It will be either because of the NHTSB, or publicity that effects image or sales.

A lot of people looking for a mini-van come to these boards looking to see what current owner think. I intend to keep the idea fresh that Chrysler is not a company they want to deal with. The vehicle is unsafe and they refuse to recall it until they are forced to. It is how they have decided to treat their customers.

It is my contention that Chrysler knows it is a safety defect or they would not have immedicately changed it on current vehicles as well as the 2002 model year.

Comsumers, spend your money with someone that deserves it. Chrysler has abandoned current owners on this major safety issue and will do the same to you in the future!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!