Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus IS 300

Comments

• riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    Lexus should do better. Long-term costs should go down as Lexus needs to match BMW, MB, Audi, etc. with "free" scheduled maintenance. Pricing should continue to go down. Leather and sunroof should be standard.

Happened to be looking thru some back issues of Road & Track, trying to find all their long-term test articles for their '01 IS300 automatic. They wrote long-term test articles in 10/00, 3/01, 7/01, 12/01, and the final one in 4/02.

Their test covered 50,430 miles. Car averaged 21.6 mpg. Used 2,335 gallons of gas and 1 quart of oil. They calculated $6,453 in depreciation. Grand total of $1,000 in routine maintenance/sevice over these miles. Plus $586 for other replacements--which was a single set of new tires. They had no other repair costs. Their 50,000 mile service cost $350. Their total service cost thru first 40,756 miles was $690. The services after 23,350 miles up to 40,756 miles combined for $260. Their first 3 services (up to 20,350 miles) combined to cost $430. Their first service cost $59, which was the total cost of maintenance for the first 13,443 miles.

Total costs over 50,430 miles was $15,650 which worked out to an average cost per mile of $.31 (less than their $.36 average since 3/96).

Found the pricing information interesting. Their MY01 MSRP was $34,696. Their MY01 had a base price of $30,500 (incl. $495 destination). They added about every in option: $1,805 lthr/escaine luxury pkg, $1,000 sunroof, $400 chrome wheels, $390 LSD, $390 heated front seats, and $66 trunk mats.

Compared that same car to MYs 2003 and 2004:

MY2003: $33,454. $30,805 base automatic + $545 dest + $2,104 options.

MY2004: $33,454. $30,805 base automatic + $545 dest + $2104 options.

In both years, the luxury pkg/sunroof are now a ton cheaper. Plus in MY02 they added standard front side curtain airbags and optional VSC (which R&T's car did NOT have).

MY04 adds automatic door locks, memory seats, and maintenance interval indicator.

Adding "free" maintenance and adding free standard equipment would significantly increase its price competitiveness, esp. against Acura TSX and Infiniti G35.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,417
    Been said many times that a V6 would totally be a step backwards. All the marketing and advertising support came when the car was first introduced and available only with the E-Shift Automatic transmission. I think Lexus was counting a lot on the "playstation crowd" who knew about the Altezza for years (much like the WRX). Maybe the damage was done at the car's first introduction? I'm sure there were MSRP+ deals going around (esp in SoCal) + the lack of a manual didn't help much once the original hoop-la was over with.

But the fact that Lexus is planning a second generation IS is a good thing. Even with a V6, there may be more of a model range available.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• ron_mron_m Member Posts: 186
    For the life of me I simply cannot understand WHY Lexus would ditch an incredibly smooth, I6 cylinder engine for a V6! Most folks say that it is due to the fact that you can get more power out of a V6 than you can an I6. While that may be true, I think that you have to consider the fact that most people that are interested in purchasing a Lexus brand vehicle are into the smoothness aspect of the engines--along with other qualities of a luxury brand that lead to a more quiet vehicle overall.

I think they're making a mistake by heading in the V6 direction.

Ron M.
    ron_m... Can't say I know of any physical reason why a V6 should have more power, measured in power per cubic inch/centimeter, than an I6. Each can have the latest and greatest in engine design technology (e.g., DOHC, 4 valves, variable valve timing, etc.). Both can be built to decent sizes (say no more than 4.2L or thereabouts).

There shouldn't be an reason why Toyota/Lexus couldn't make a bigger I6. 3.3L easy. Or 3.5L. 3.8L. 4.0L. 4.2L. Jaguar used to build magnificent 3.8L and 4.2L I6s! Think what a great 4.0 or 4.2L I6 would do for the IS and GS!!!

I6 is an inherently smooth engine. Creamy smooth power delivery. BMW, MB, Jaguar, and others relied on them extensively for decades and these great engines set these fine marques apart from others.

V6 has a few advantages. Cheaper to produce, esp. when most of the rest of the 6s made by Toyota are Vs. Post-WW II ravaged Italy pioneered V6s. Also, fits FWD cars better as can be much more easily mounted traversely. Might allow some safety advantages, depending upon crush zones (as it is shorter end to end than the longer inline).

Does anyone know if the next platform will have a 6-speed manual? Or SMG? Praying it at least has the former. Don't really care for the latter. And will it have AWD? That would help snow markets.
    nyccarguy... Lack of manual transmission upon introduction was a horrible mistake.

WRX (and the even more aggressive models from both Subaru and Mitsu) benefitted from AWD and forced induction. Too bad Lexus didn't do the latter. Not sure about the former, but would've made the car stand out in '01 if it had had that, too.

Would've been interesting to see if the Playstation/tuner/mod crowd would've taken to a USA market IS200 with 6-speed manual. Whey do the Japanese and European get them and we don't?

Toyota really needed (and still needs!) TRD to have more affordable mods. Have you seen how little they have? And Lexus should work with some reputable tuners to come up with "hotter" cars that can be bought thru dealers. BMW has Dinan, Hartage, Schnitzer, etc. Not to mention billions of aftermarket parts suppliers. (Nissan and Mazda both should do more in same vein.)
  • birdman579birdman579 Member Posts: 151
    It definitely seems that Lexus is "killing off" the current IS300. While a nice car, it falls short of the Lexus reputation. I hope this means Lexus will introduce the 2005 redesigned IS350 early, maybe mid-summer 2004 to spark interest. I have seen very little official information regarding the new platform for the 2005. The 2005 Supra (which is supposedly the basis for the 05 IS350) has been kept under wraps. Any news out there? I'd think at least a concept vehicle would be out there. Nissan had the Z concept and XVL (G35 concept) out way ahead of those cars going into production. I want something to drool over :) C'mon Lexus!!!
    The recent car magazines had tons of photos from the recent Tokyo Auto Show. Lot of pictures of the Lexus entry, the LF-S. But this is supposedly a preview of the next GS. The LF-S reportedly rides on 115 inch wheelbase and is 193 inches overall. Will use gasoline V8 plus electric motor for AWD. Conservatively styled. Clean lines. Nothing off-putting.

There was also an LS-X. More a cross-over vehicle. Part cr, part SUV. A bit like Chrysler Pacifica or Infiniti FX35/45. Very tastefully done. Uses 4.3L V8.

Toyota trying to introduce Japan to Lexus, which is being launched as a new marque in Japan in 2005.
  • rsr742002rsr742002 Member Posts: 64
    I strongly disagree: IS does not fall short of the Lexus reputation. On the contrary: it is the best vehicle in the Lexus lineup. It offers more to a driver than any other model. It is the most fun, it is the only model with a manual tranny, and the quality is top-notch. Most of loaner ES's and RX's I drove did not feel as tightly built.

Are you kidding? I feel that IS' combination of refinement, price, and performance make it a unique value. What else is out there? BMW 325 is overpriced and under powered. G35 has a shaky resale value, TL & TSX are FWD which is a no-no for the price. What else can you buy for around $30K to match the IS?

If you are talking about the Lexus reputation for building luxury barges, you are correct. IS300 is a sport sedan and caters to a different audience.
    Let's put it this way: I would have never bought a Lexus if there was no IS in the lineup.
    IS300 competes against a ton of cars, including most of the following:

330i RWD
    325i RWD
    MB C-class RWD/AWD
    Jaguar X-type 3.0 AWD
    Jaguar X-type 2.5 AWD
    Audi A4 FWD/AWD
    Infiniti G35 RWD/AWD
    Acura TL FWD
    Acura TSX FWD
    Nissan Maxima/Infiniti I35 FWD
    Cadillac CTS RWD
    Lincoln LS6 RWD
    VW Passat W8 AWD
    VW Passat V6 FWD/AWD
    Volvo S60
    Saab 9-3 FWD
    Subaru WRX AWD
    Subara STi AWD
    Mitsu Evo AWD
    Pontiac GTO RWD

This is what makes this market so competitive and a huge reason why you have to stand out in order to rise to the top of the sales chart.
    330i RWD - Priced much higher
    325i RWD - Priced higher/uderpowered
    MB C-class RWD/AWD - Way overpriced
    Jaguar X-type 3.0 AWD - Ford Mondeo in disguise
    Jaguar X-type 2.5 AWD - see above
    Audi A4 FWD/AWD
    Infiniti G35 RWD/AWD - Shaky Resale
    Acura TL FWD - FWD
    Acura TSX FWD - FWD
    Nissan Maxima/Infiniti I35 FWD- Torque Steer(FWD)
    Cadillac CTS RWD - agree
    Lincoln LS6 RWD - no manual
    VW Passat W8 AWD - overpriced ($41k)
    VW Passat V6 FWD/AWD - shaky quality
    Volvo S60 - underpowered unless you upgrade to R60
    Saab 9-3 FWD - FWD
    Subaru WRX AWD - No name, no luxury
    Subara STi AWD - same as above
    Mitsu Evo AWD - boy racer
    Pontiac GTO RWD - Holden Monaro with poor build quality and generic styling.

?
    rsr... If it is so easy to dismiss all these, then why are IS300 sales so small to begin with and declining?

Notice how many above are either only AWD or have an AWD model. Infiniti is bringing out the AWD G35.

While I love my two IS300s, I disagree with many of your assessments. Keep the options down, and the 330i isn't too expensive. Same for MB C-class. 325i manual with Sport Pkg is quite a fun car to drive. Its acceleration times are comparable to the IS300. The IS300 doesn't perform like its raw numbers would suggest. That is one of its failings.

Keep in mind that most IS300s sold are automatics. Can be hard to find a manual transmission IS300 at a Lexus dealer. And the SportCross only comes with an automatic.

Jaguar has dropped prices on the 3.0 by thousands and added thousands of dollars in new standard equipment. A strategy Lexus should take with IS300!

IS300 is routinely referred to as a "boy racer". For example, most reviewers have panned the chronograph instrument cluster and the metal shift ball (which can burn to the touch in hot summer).

Keep in mind that the IS300 lacks many of the luxury touches that are found on the other Lexus models. Just look at a loaded ES330 interior. IS300 isn't known for coddling you in wood trim. Leather is an expensive option. Many opt for the optional fax leather (escaine). Was only in '04 that IS300 got memory seats. Still needs telescoping steering wheel and needs to lose the hood prop rod. Where is the split-fold rear seat option? Can't get driver and passenger separate climate control. No rear reading lights. No trip computer (so you can't get important info like "miles until empty"). No lumbar adjustment. One thing you can't say about the IS300 is that it is too luxurious! My wife's former 323ia had many things her IS300 lacks.

Thankfully, IS300 has LSD! Plus standard HID and foglights. And it is so fun to drive. But word just doesn't seem to get out. Lexus needs to do more. Almost seems like they have given up on it.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    You left off the Audi A4 and, while the Lincoln LS no longer offers a manual, I'm willing to bet that most people who buy the IS don't choose a manual.

In fact, it looks much like the IS is going the way of the Lincoln LS, in that it receives little or no advertising dollars and is unlikely to be upgraded in any significant way anytime soon.

OTOH, it's nice to drive something that very few other people have. . .or want.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • birdman579birdman579 Member Posts: 151
    Don't get me wrong, I've driven the IS300 with the manual and its a blast! Everything fits me perfectly; I can't think of a car I'd rather drive, but... its not nearly as luxurious as the other Lexus vehicles. The appearance both inside and out is not of a luxury car. The IS is still at the top of my shopping list though. I would like to see a more mature look, better interior materials, more power, VSC with the manual, and a 6th gear. Acura, Infiniti, Audi, and BMW offer all of these important features.
    In my opinion, Lexus has failed to properly market the IS. It is a car of uncommon value butd I do not recall seeing any commercials for the IS.

What about the fact that CR rated it number one in its class, not recommending BMW?

Lexus needs to realize that young professionals who love to drive are not interested in plush ES.

BTW, plenty of manual IS's available.
    I totally agree with you rsr742002. The IS300 does NOT fall short of the Lexus reputation. Just because it's DIFFERENT from the other 4-door sedans that the company offers doesn't mean that it's a POS. Lexus just blew it on the marketing of the IS300. The wood trim in some of their vehicles screams BUICK if you asked me! The ONLY Lexus vehicle that I would even consider driving is the IS300--speaking in terms of exterior styling. Quite frankly, I find all of the other Lexus vehicles to be over and beyond ugly. But I do respect both the quality and luxury aspects of all of their vehicle offerings. In fact, there's no automobile manufacturer in the world that I respect for quality as much as I do Lexus. They really do need to find and hire some good body designers though.

While I do agree with a couple of the IS300's shortcomings that 'riez' points out, I do NOT understand why he is so critical of the IS300 in many of his posts--yet has TWO of these vehicles in his family. With all due respect 'riez', you speak out of both of sides of your mouth when it comes to the IS300. One post you're touting the value of the IS300, and in another you're ripping on the vehicle for its many shortcomings when compared to the offerings of Lexus' competitors. I simply do not understand why someone that has not just one, but TWO of these vehicles, would bust on them like you do on a perpetual basis. That just doesn't make sense to me. I'm not saying that the IS300 is perfect, but it's still a very nice, high-quality Lexus vehicle. Especially when compared to a lot of other 4-door sedans out there. I'm not trying to start an argument with you 'riez'. I'd just like to better understand why you're so critical of the IS300--yet you and your wife both own and drive one.

Ron M.
    ron_m... Ain't no car perfect. Not even the IS300. I'm brutally honest and call 'em like I see 'em. Both good and bad. And I'm pointing out things Lexus needs to address in order to keep the IS alive and growing.

Why should I pretend that the IS300 is perfect? All you need to do is read automotive reviews and comparison tests and you can see flaws pointed out. IS is now in its 4th model year. That is a lot of time to address issues. Why is there still a cheap hood prop rod? Why does it still use space-intruding goose-neck trunk hinges, for a car with a smallish trunk to begin with?

And I won't criticize the shortcomings of other cars without addressing shortcomings in the IS300. That is why I point out Jaguar is lowering prices on its X-type 3.0 plus adding thousands of dollars of additional standard equipment. Jaguar realizes what it will take to recover from its mistakes. But Lexus hasn't.

I always point out all the wonderful things about the IS300. Critical things like braking, steering, and handling are magnificent. Same for the creamy smooth I6 and the precise transmission. All of the most important things about the IS300 are fantastic. But so many of the little things need to be addressed. And for the money, the IS300 was quite a bargain, though not so much any more in comparison to the G35, TSX, TL, WRX, and other competitors.

And I love the dealership experience. First class customer service. Reliability and quality outstanding. We've got a bit under 7K miles combined on our two cars. Haven't had a single issue, not on anything! They are built very, very well!!!

Will readily admit I may set very high standards. I've owned some very nice cars. They raise the bar. Cars like my '98 540i6, '00 LS8 Sport, '00 323ia, '96 Impala SS, and '96 G20t. In some ways, the IS300 reminds me of the G20t. Infiniti didn't market it much. Truly fun to drive car. Practical, great customer service, and outstanding reliability (I didn't have a single problem in 80K miles!). Needed more work on the little details to be a real player in the market. Look what happened to it from '89 to '03. Don't want to see that with the IS.

I'm praying Lexus hasn't given up on the IS platform. I want it to be better and better. Continuous vehicle improvement.
    Finally snowed in midwest. My wife is pleased at how her '03 IS300a handled the storm. I took her's out once and concurred. She has the standard all-seasons along with LSD and VSC.

I haven't taken my '04 IS300m out. She sits in the garage. Take my FWD '00 Hyundai Sonata work car in winter. Hate to see salt on her and hate getting snow and all over the interior floor mats and foot wells. She looks and stays so much cleaner in her garage. (Think she is happier but know she is chomping at the bit to get out soon.)
  • cpoupartcpoupart Member Posts: 13
    Yesterday (after months of debating IS300 vs. WRX) I picked up my IS300 '03 demo (5M appearance package). Last night we received 6" of snow.

I had the car delivered with Pirelli 210 snow tires on 16" RAV4 rims. Early this morning I took it out to an empty Walmart parking lot to see how bad it would be in the white stuff.

Bottom line - I was pleasantly surprised! The IS300 is fairly heavy, and straight-line and braking performance with the Pirellis is good (if not excellent). With TC and Snow Mode engaged, the car turns in and corners predictably, and the TC catches you if you oversteer or apply too much gas.

About the only negative is that the car is very low, and gets caught up in any drifts or piles of snow. I can live with that.

So I think I'll be able to drive the IS300 about 360 days a year - the other five I'll either take my wife's RAV4, or work from home.

PS - does anyone else find the rear defroster slow?
  • brydymondbrydymond Member Posts: 41
    Lets hope for a lame winter unlike last years continual dump of snow...

I don't mind the IS in snow. Good tires, TC/LSD/VSC and snow mode really HELP.

I nailed my bumper/spoiler on a icy drift last winter and busted the washer reservior and cracked the bottom lip of the spoiler...so you are correct in saying that its a wee bit low.

I actually prefer the dynamics of RWD (with all the technology) to FWD when general driving is concerned...wait till you have to cut through those little piles of snow that accumulate between lanes on the 401 and you will see what I mean.
  • dnoeckerdnoecker Member Posts: 3
    I bought a 2004 IS 300 E-Shift a week ago.

The website for Lexus list the VSC(Vehicle Stability Control)and LSD(Limited-Slip Differential) as options for 2004 E-Shift models but when I bought my IS 300 the car salesmen said
    they are not options.

And when you build your model on the website they are not options to build your car.

Can anyone help me out with this confusion?

Thanks,
    Dan
  • fredmcmurrayfredmcmurray Member Posts: 215
    dnoecker - I too was very frustrated in my attempts to get a car with VSC. Are you in California? I was trying to find out the real story when I was shopping a few months ago and got a different story from everyone with whom I spoke, which included many different dealer internet sales managers and the customer service rep at Lexus headquarters.

No one knew what the "Build Your Own" option packaging on lexus.com was based upon. It didn't seem to have any basis in how the cars are actually equipped. The Lexus guy assured me that everything listed as an option under the options section of the site is in fact an available option. The dealers all told me that they just have to take what Lexus gives them and they don't send any VSC cars to California. But the Lexus guy told me that the dealers specify how they want the cars equipped. He said they can get the cars however they want them but they will tell you they can't so that they can move what they have on the lot. Most dealers didn't want to have anything to do with a special order car and the few who would told me it would take 3-4 months and they'd only do it if I was willing to pay full sticker.
    In short, getting a VSC car in California is difficult. The only way I could have done it would have been to special order it at a substantially higher price than a car on the lot. I finally gave up, though I did get one with LSD. In retrospect, I'm actually glad I don't have VSC. The damn TRAC is overly intrusive as it is but at least I can turn that off. I don't think you can turn VSC off.
  • jmessjmess Member Posts: 677
    I haven't done it but there is fuse you can pull that disables VSC and I think the ABS along with it.

Both the VSC and the ABS are too sensitive when you start pushing the car really hard. The time I had my car on the track, I would be going above 100 into a heavy braking zone and the brake assist would bring in the ABS every time I got on the brakes messing up my turn in points. The computer logic would assume anyone going that fast and applying the brakes moderately hard must be in an emergency situation and needs full stopping power. Once I got back on the gas and got a little throttle induced oversteer the VSC would cut in and try and straighten out the car. Not really a great setup for turning a good lap at anywhere near the cars potential.

Swapping out the sway bars on my car took out some of the push and seems to have raised the break away point for the rear end. The net is I don't provoke the VSC as much as I did before. I really notice the improvement in the rain. (BTW the GoodYear GS-D3 tires work well in the rain for a street tire). I would still like the VSC to let the rearend rotate a little more before it cuts in but now I have much better sense of where the threshold is for my setup.

At one point in 02 the rumor was Lexus was trying to make the VSC mandatory with e-shift and LSD. So even though they were separate options you couldn't get them any other way, at least here in the Pacific NW.
    My '04 IS300 manual has LSD. VSC is not available with manual transmission.

My wife's '03 IS300 automatic has LSD and VSC.

All the automatics I've seen at my two nearest Lexus dealers have had VSC.

In midwest, dealers appear to be ordering their cars with LSD and VSC. Also, all the ones on lots appear to have all-season tires.
    fredmcmurray- I live in Houston,Tx.

Maybe that's why I can't get VSC/LSD. Because the
    terrain down here is flat and it does not snow so
    the dealers think there is not a big demand.

I'm going to ask a service adviser when I get my 30 day check up.

Thanks for the info.

Dan
  • brydymondbrydymond Member Posts: 41
    I think they have dumped VSC in Canada too. My 2002 SportCross has it, but a friend's 2003 IS (auto) does not. It was part of the top package (which he has) yet it is not on his car. Neither are headlamp washers.

I couldn't live without it. I agree the TCS is a little sensitive, in fact driving in snowy Toronto I worry that the TCS light may burn out (HAHA). VSC has saved me several times.
  • saz1861saz1861 Member Posts: 26
    I am waiting for my ordered SportCross with both LSD and VSC. I also got the all leather package, wood switch plates, value package and black pearl emblems. I faxed about 26 dealers from CT to VA, listed the options I wanted and stated that I knew the car would need to be ordered. The LSD and VSC and the all leather is not always readily available. I only received about seven responses. Some dealers were close to sticker and wanted a large deposit but two did come through with reasonable offers less than 5% over invoice, which I consider a fair profit for them to make. SportCrosses are even more rare than the sedan. One dealer said they get one for every 15 Sedans. Anyway, it is a 3-4 month wait and the sales manager ordered the car with me sitting right there and all of these options were available. I ordered mine in October. Orders submitted by the 24th of October were scheduled for December production. The web site said to allow thirty days for production and 30 days for shipping which brings it to February. Some dealers are reluctant to order because they are afraid you might change your mind before the wait is over and they would be left with a car they would have difficulty selling. Hope this clears up some misconceptions. Waiting for an ordered car really sucks.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,417
    but the wait is well worth it! You get exactly what you want.

I saw a Silver SportCross tonight. I like it!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• webby1webby1 Member Posts: 209
    2005 Lexus IS 300 Coupe,Early 2004
    Lexus is readying a coupe and possible convertible version of its sporty IS 300, with release dates probably sometime next year. and
    2005 Lexus IS 430 late 2004 ??
    4.3L V8 IS 430 may debut concurrently with the facelifted IS range. appears to be a beefed-up IS 300.It is also rumored that Lexus may replace the IS 300's in-line 6 with the ES 330's V6, making it the IS 330. The V6 version is said to be tuned to produce more than 230 hp.
    It appears that the IS 300 is designed strong enough for a V8 therefore I think it will be my next car this spring instead of the new TL
    Latest issue of AutoWeek (12/22/03) has a 2-page story with a couple of nice pictures of Rod Millen's IS430 concept. No confirmation of any production. No information on any price info. Quotes former head of Lexus as saying "If there isn't a strong business case, we probably won't do it." Article does point out that "Lexus will sell about 14,00 IS 300s this year, down from 20,000 in 2002." As they point out, Lexus has to do something to spark excitement and sales in IS. IS430 might make sense, even if it doesn't make money. But the safe money is likely not on it.
  • dardenkoadardenkoa Member Posts: 65
    Do not go to Lexus of Richmond in Virginia.

I am quite disappointed with everything they have done so far. The sales rep from Lexus of Richmond had the audacity to call me today and compalin to me about the survey I filled out for the Lexus Headquarter.

I gave Lexus of Richmond an average rating on the survey. I said the Sales Reps did not know about the SportCross model and was ill informed about its product line. They were pushy in negotiation and etc. But I did enjoy other parts of the dealship. The overall rating was not great, just so-so.

Lexus of Richmond dared to call and complain AFTER they have taken my money?? Very unprofessional. The sales reps actually said "I am going to give you a spanking!" to me. hmm...

That's how Lexus of Richmond treat its paying customers.
    dardenkoa... Welcome to the wonderful world of CSI data. Dealers take it very seriously, esp. in marques like Lexus. I always chuckle every time I see the signs or forms in dealerships that show pre-filled out surveys with every answer getting the highest rating and a comment that if you can't fill it out this way to let the dealership know.

Be careful, though, about CSI data. Dealerships can and do fight back against people who won't give them good ratings, no matter how poor their service or how justified the negative comments. Had one dealer (Chrysler) once, not the selling dealer, refuse to service my car any more. Under my state's franchise law, he has the right to do that. I had to take it to another dealer. Have had other dealers call to complain or to say something the next time I was at the dealership.

I've learned that it is usually better to not answer a question than to give the dealer a bad mark. I just tell the surveyor I'd rather not answer the question or if it is a paper survey, I just leave it blank. And if you want, write the dealership a letter stating your issues. At least this way you get their attention (sometimes) without getting a 3rd party involved.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    There has been a lot of discussion about this through the years on the Smart Shopper board. The consensus seems to be that there really are only two grades: pass=excellent across the board, fail=anything less. And getting the "pass" grade is crucial to dealerships for various reasons.

Check out that link for more info and conversation about this.
    My wife and 2 pre-teens (12 & 11) just came back from their 2-week vacation. They put 3,307 miles on her '03 IS300 automatic. She drove from around Omaha, NE, to around Utica, NY, and back. No problems getting around this time of year. (Her car has LSD and VSC.)

Over the 3,307 miles she used 134.715 gallons for 24.55 mpg. Cost of fuel was $234.30 or $1.74 per gallon (using only premium). [Cheapest gas was in Ohio; most expensive in NY.] So the window sticker estimate for highway fuel economy is pretty accurate.

They did have the car crammed to the rafters with luggage and gifts going out and coming back. There wasn't a cubic inch of free space. But they did it!
  • itsmeehkyleitsmeehkyle Member Posts: 21
    my 01 is300 parking tail light went out today and i was wondering is that gonna be under warranty? i have 34k on it... i didnt drive it to work becuase i get off late evening and it is gonna look cheesy with one tail light and so can i do it at toyota too? or only lexus? the closest dealership is 1hr 15 mins away ... well they toyota is like 3 mins away ...well that was where i got mines from there's no lexus dealers anywhere here...
    kyle
    I would think you should be able to find the bulb at a Toyota dealer. The owners manuals for "most" use to have a listing for the light bulb part numbers/types. If you can't replace it yourself, I would imagine any competent mechanic could replace a tail light.

I have a 95 Civic with all the original bulbs/lights (knock on wood).
  • itsmeehkyleitsmeehkyle Member Posts: 21
    tee hee i bought the bulb i looked in the manual for the bulb number and all but the problem was i didnt know how to change it... i took the thingy that covered it off and found a wire covered by one of those thing you would find under a piggy bank i took that off too found nothing but some wires goin in it ... where is the bulb???? ps the nuts and the screws are welded intogether.. gee just a light bulb ^_^
  • fredmcmurrayfredmcmurray Member Posts: 215
    OK, how many IS300 owners does it take to change a light bulb?
    LOL
    Compared to other vehicles that you guys have driven with automatic transmissions, how would you rate the feel of your IS300's automatic transmission shifting behavior? Excellent, above average, decent or poor?

I would just like to see how other IS300 owners view their automatic tranny's feel/behavior.

Ron M.
    ron_m... Way too subjective a question and criteria. Only way you'll know if it works for you is by thoroughly test driving it. Ask you dealer if they'll let you do an overnight or over weekend test. My Lexus dealer will.

But... the AT in the '03 IS300 appears to work just fine. Just like the one in the '00 323ia. Or for most AT cars I've had.

Not sure there is such a thing as a "good" slushbox. Just less bad.

You should try the IS300 with manual transmission.
    Had to take the '03 in for her 5K service (actually 7K). So I walked the dealer's lot. Lexus of Omaha has 5 '04 IS300 sedans and no '04 SportCross. Of the 5, 1 is a manual transmission (dark grey ext/blk int, with full leather value pkg). Other 4 are automatics (2 with full leather value pkg and 2 with leather/Alcantra value pkg; 2 silver and 2 brown/gold).

All 5 have all-season tires, heated seats, and LSD. All the ATs have VSC. That is the way they come in midwest, snowbelt areas. The loaded ATs have MSRPs of $34,189--and his ad will lease you one of these for $379/mo (48m/48K, $2,950 down plus 1st month payment and $500 sec. deposit).

Noticed the used lot had 3 '01s. Orange, yellow, and dark grey. Two had snow tires, other had summer tires. Go figure.
    riez,

I would think that I have thoroughly test driven an IS300 already--since I've owned one for 16 months now that I purchased brand new! The question was legit. All I'm looking for is other drivers' opinions. While the question may seem subjective to you, it's not to me. Because I'm soliciting other drivers' opinions plain and simple. It's not to say who's wrong or who's right. Just general discussion which is what these boards are all about.

But thanks anyway for your response.

Ron M.
    ron_m... You wrote, "How would you rate the feel of your IS300's automatic transmission shifting behavior? Excellent, above average, decent or poor? ... view their automatic tranny's feel/behavior."

Not sure what any of the above ratings would mean. My "above average" might be your "decent". Another's "excellent" might be your "above average". Not sure what "feel" is or how that differs from "behavior".

Do you mean things like... How long does it take to kick down a gear when you floor it? Or how smooth or jerky are the individual shifts? Or how hard is it to engage or hold a gear? Or what happens when you slow doing going into a corner and then try to accelerate out of the corner? Or how does it operate in winter? Or how it operates when you go for maximum acceleration launch?

Are you having troubles with your AT? How would you rate it using your own criteria?

CR publishes data on transmission reliability. IS300 consistently gets high marks.

Automotive press reviews, esp. when it first came out only with the automatic, are a great source of info on their perceptions of the IS300 AT.
    I discovered a problem w/my IS 300.

When the steering wheel is locked and then try to start it-the ignition will not turn.
    Had to call a service adviser and they said you
    have to turn the steering wheel back and forth until the key in the ignition turns.
    It worked.

Does anybody else have this problem?

Dan
    Think this is pretty common across cars. Doesn't happen all the time, or even most of the time. But occassionally when you turn the steering wheel hard to one side or the other. Usually has happened to me in past when I was parking on a hill and turned the steering wheel all the way to one side to ensure car doesn't roll down hill into oncoming traffic. When it does, you twist the wheel back and forth and tinker with the key in the ignition until it undoes itself.

So far I haven't had this happen yet in either of my IS300s. But I've pretty much had it happen at least once in about every car I've ever had. Usually on a hill when parking.
  • mica88mica88 Member Posts: 25
    I have an 02 Sportcross, which replaced a 91 Maxima with 3-speed AT. The Maxima had no hesitation when moving from a standing start in normal city traffic. I need to use a heavier foot to get the Sportcross moving, otherwise the start is sometimes a bit jerky. (I use my left foot to brake, and my right foot for the gas.)The Lexus dealer in Hawaii where I test drove an 03 Sportcross said it's due to the drive-by-wire system.
    Although some contributors have described this problem on the IS300.net forum, it doesn't appear to be of concern to most drivers.
    I think around the Summer or fall of 02 Lexus came out with a program update for automatic ECU which pretty much fixed the shifting issues I was having with my car (early 02 SportCross). In some cases it felt like the car tried to start out in 2nd gear then jump down to 1st. Other times is would appear to abruptly shift from 2nd to 3rd at low speeds.

One thing that took me a while to get use to, was the ECU is programmed to short shift from 1st to 2nd at lighter throttle openings or accelerations rates to save fuel. So in some cases you need to gas the car a little more from a dead stop to keep it from short shifting into 2nd gear.

You could also try re setting ECU by disconnecting the negative battery cable for a few minutes followed by stepping on the brake for a few minutes (don't remember why they said you need to step on the brake). Reconnect the cable then go out and drive the car hard for a while doing some full throttle starts and running it through the gears. It has been reported that the ECU re learns your driving style and will tend to upshift at higher RPMs and shift a little harder. I have done this a couple of times and I have noticed that my cars feels a little different for a while.
  • crabjaycrabjay Member Posts: 1
    i got a 03 IS300 5spd, and i used to put he shift on the neutral in the garage. my wife went out last night in my car and put the shift in the 1st gear. I did not notice it when i started the car this morning. when i started the car, and released the clutch, the car jumped out and hit the shoe rack in the front ..:-(. got multiple scratch and dings in the front bumper. damn! cound not really say anything to her, and have to use some touch-up for some deep cuts.

i got the first scratch 2 monthes ago, after my friend test-drove it, and he parked the car a little behind in the garage. when i opened the garage door next morning, the door scratched the rear bumper and stopped in the middle.

sigh ..... when u see the new car gets scratch by such accident, it takes days to heal...

good luck to all the new car owners here...
    Latest issue of AutoWeek (1/19/04),pages 3-4 has a small article titled "SportDesign, part IV". Talks about Lexus offering a $1,715 IS300 SportDesign Edition:

"gets appearance parts that includes 17-inch alloy wheels and a black metallic front grille. Models equipped with a manual transmission also get Euro-tuned suspension." Only 2,000 to be offered. Goes on sale "later this month".

Reminds me of the failed appearance package from a couple years ago. But that one cost thousands of dollars more.

Too bad, way too, bad still no TRD supercharger!!! And a 6-speed manual!!
    I think they had the sport design package for 03 also.

This is supposed to be one of the better SC kits on the market right now.

http://www.prolexperformance.com/nav/fproducts.html
    Finally received our first issue of Lexus magazine, their quarterly. Wife bought her IS300 in August and I bought mine in September. Can't believe they didn't send us a copy of the most recent one or two issues. Justed seemed most odd to wait almost 3 1/2 months before getting a single issue. (BMW has Lexus beat here. Remember receiving an issue of their fine magazine within a very short time. They sent the most recent issue and didn't wait till the next one came out.)