Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus IS 300

1515253545557»

Comments

• instantsuccessinstantsuccess Member Posts: 1
    I just recently bought a Tanabe exhaust for my is 300. It sounds great and fit my red car well. It has a deep throaty sound to it and says it raised the noise level by 6 decibels. That is the exhaust to get. :)
  • deanedelldeanedell Member Posts: 16
    yes, the IS300 requires premium gas. 91 octane and above.
  • midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Member Posts: 1,978
    Manual says premium, but I have used everything from regular to mid-grade to premium with no discernable difference and I have had the car for 4 years. Great car no problems!
  • newcarmannewcarman Member Posts: 55
    I was a little disappointed today by what i was told by a Lexus salesman.

We were talking about the new IS 250 and he told me that if i wanted i could put a deposit down to get on line to order or i could wait for 6 weeks until the car came in. That was ok with me too because i wanted to see the car in person before any commitments.

The only thing that bothered me was that he said that the IS250 with AWD and NAv would ne about mid to upped 30's.

Now what was that all about?? I thought it would be in the low 30's

All i want is AWD and no NAV so if the 250 is in the mid to upper 30's then what would the 350 be?? In the lower 40's.

If the 250 is above my price target i mine as well look at the Acura TL which shouldnt be more than 33,500 with no NAV.

Anyone here get any prices from a Lexus dealer on about what the IS 250 would be??
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,417
    Why do you need AWD on an IS? I'm sure the first allotment of cars will have certain popular equipment normally ordered.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• james225james225 Member Posts: 1
    Im new at these forums. I am trying to sell my Lexus IS 300, 2004, 15000 miles on it. Whats my best way to go about selling it?
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    I guess I'm not sure what information you are looking for ... you can't offer it for sale in our Forums, if that's what you are asking. There is a "Sell Your Car" link on the left under "Partners" that you can pursue if you'd like.

If you want advice on how to go about selling cars in general, you'll enjoy reading some of the discussions on our Smart Shopper board. You'll also find some useful information in the Tips and Advice section of Edmunds.com.

Hope this helps.
  • christina271christina271 Member Posts: 65
    has anyone had any problems with their paint?
    I have an 04 Black onyx that now has chips all over the car (they are white)
    i also had a white smear on the back left side of the car between the back left window and the rear window. now I have noticed that it looks as if the paint on the passenger door handle is wearing off (this looks gray)

has anyone else experienced this?!?!

ps- the car is garage kept every night and driven on the highway 5 days a week..
    i have taken the car to the dealer about the paint chipping before and they say it is normal because of highway driving...no car that is 1 year old should have tons of paint coming off...what is the deal?

thank you :mad:
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,504
    You can thank water-based (green-friendly & far inferior) paint for what you're enduring. "Back in the day" factory paint was truly exceptional -- smooth, long-lasting & beautiful.

That was then. . .
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
  • jmessjmess Member Posts: 677
    This is a very common IS300 problem. Get a pro touchup job then cover the frontend with a clear bra like xpel. The clear bra solves the problems for the covered areas but chips still show up on the hood where it isn't covered.
    what about the fact that the paint is wearing off the door handles??
    I didn't have any paint problems except chipping with my 02 which I part company with in Feb05. I also don't have long finger nails :-). Seriously though I would talk to your dealer about it. Call the Lexus Customer Satisfaction number if your dealer doesn't offer some resolution. I would not want anything repainted other than the door handles though if I could avoid it. Repaints are never as good as the factory paint job.

I know you can get clearbra/expel that will fit in the area under the door handles.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    See what Lexus General Manager had to say about the IS 350 and IS 250 in the chat held in the Forums last week:

http://www.edmunds.com/townhall/chat/transcripts/lexusischat092905.html

See all past chat transcripts: http://www.edmunds.com/townhall/chat/transcripts/index.html
    Hello everyone

just wanted to let you know that the manager at the dealer took a look at the car and noticed that the paint was also wearing away on the windshield washer heads. It seems like all of the pieces I guess weren't painted with the car have the problem. All four door handles are worl down to a silvery gray (the car is black) and the backseat is RARELY used. SO, he said that it was definately a defect and that they would order new handles etc. They have had the car for 4 days so far and promised to detail it "inside and out so that everything looks like new". :):):) Lexus definately has the best customer service around!!
    Good for you and good for Lexus for doing the right thing.
  • dicksis300dicksis300 Member Posts: 1
    man i have an 05 black IS300 and my paint looks like it has water spots permantly ive tried everything i only hand wash it and it is garage kept. i only drive it about 3 to 4 times a week. I talked to the salesman about it and he prettymuch said i would have to get a new paint job. thats some crap if you ask me

it kinda looks like mineral ionazation forming on my car ??
  • pabis300pabis300 Member Posts: 3
    Anyone hear a loud thumping sound when engaging through their gears on a 5-spd. manual transmission Is300. Everytime I press the clutch and put the car in gear. the tranny makes a low, bassy sound, I don't know if this is common to all 5spd is300's or if its just mine? Please help!
  • staccatologicstaccatologic Member Posts: 1
    I recently bought a 2003 IS 300 black exterior, tan leather interior w/ suede inserts for ~$23K after trade-in of 2002 Mercury Cougar for $7K. I even got a five year / 50,000 mile warranty thrown in ($1.4K value)! I only had to haggle for the extra warranty, nothing else.
  • johnnycnotejohnnycnote Member Posts: 6
    Now that the IS 250/350 is out, does anyone have any ideas on what sort of deals may be had on remaining IS300's?

Thanks....
  • is3hottieis3hottie Member Posts: 1
    I also hear and have that problem with my car. It's a loud thump noise when I change gears, usually starting in first gear. I don't understand what the heck that is. Have you spoken to a dealership about it >?
    I have taken the car to one dealer and they said that everything was okay. I think that they were just avoiding the situation, so I'm going to take the car to another dealer and see what they say. I dont remember hearing that same sound on another 5-speed IS that I drove. I'll let u know what the outcome is. Have you taken yours to a dealer?
    I spoke with a parts guy at a dealer and he said that it seems that the sound is being caused by a bad transmission mount. So I'm taking it back to the dealer to have it checked.
  • ron_mron_m Member Posts: 186
    Well, it appears as though I have now encountered the first problem with my 2002 IS300. It involves a popping noise that is obviously coming from the brakes. Whenever I shift from Drive to Reverse or vice versa, the first time that I apply the brakes while rolling in the new direction, there is a highly audible, metal-to-metal clink or popping noise. It's as though the brake calipers or pads have to shift within a certain tolerance zone of a metal envelope. Admittedly, the car did this to a slight degree even when it was brand new. But once it had about 27,000 miles on the clock, the problem started to get progressively worse. I've heard a couple of other IS300 owners, as well as current generation Toyota Avalon owners, complain about this very same issue with their brakes. And back when mine wasn't producing a loud noise I even responded to those folks with comments like, "Oh, it's normal for these particular Toyota products." At least that's what I had always been told.

I have an appointment to take a test drive with a Lexus service technician on 12-26-2005. Can't wait to hear what he has to say about this problem. I'm sure it will be described as "normal". My car only has 30,590 miles on it at the moment, so it's still under warranty.

Any other IS300 owners experienced this same type of brake-related noise when changing directions and applying the brakes for the first time in the changed direction?

Although I am a bit frustrated with this brake noise at the moment, overall, the car has been otherwise bulletproof for over three years now.

Thanks in advance for any information that you can provide me with pertaining to this issue.

Best regards,

Ron M.
  • jjellyjjelly Member Posts: 1
    Anybody have any suggestions regarding brand/installation of satellite radio for my '05 IS300 Sportcross? I want to use the factory head unit and no FM modulator.... I would also like to do it myself - but that is negotiable.. ;) Thanks
  • gfurneauxgfurneaux Member Posts: 2
    I have the same exact problem with my '02 IS300. Could you please let me know what the tech says about the problem. I unfortunately have gone past my warranty date/mileage. I have always wondered what that sound is.

Thanks,
    Greg Furneaux
    Fremont, California

Hi Greg,

Here's the story on the IS300 brake-related noise that we have both experienced. According to two different service technicians at local Toyota and Lexus dealerships here in N.C., the noise is produced by the metal clips at each end of the brake pad holders. They can produce some noise early on in the vehicle's life, but it's usually after they have become fatigued that the noise becomes highly noticeable. "The Lexus engineers deliberately designed in some additional float for the brake pads, so when you change directions and apply the brakes, the noise that you're hearing is the metal brake pad holder clips coming into contact with the metal surface that they are adjacent to when they stop floating within the tolerance zone. I know it sounds terrible and leads the driver to think that their car is about to fall apart, but that's just the way that these cars' braking systems were designed. Toyota Avalons have been known to have the exact same problem. Every single IS300 that I have worked on here has had this same issue with the brakes. We can replace the weakened metal clips with new ones while your car is under warranty, and also install some spacers at one end of the brake pads to reduce the amount of float to some degree. This will help to cut down on the noise whenever you shift into reverse and then apply the brakes for the first time. And it will also help with the noise in the forward direction to a lesser degree. This procedure won't completely eliminate the noisy brake issue, but it will indeed help for a while. But the problem will eventually reintroduce itself over time."

By the way, I had one of the local Lexus dealership's service technicians to perform this procedure on my '02 IS300 and it has helped tremendously!

The Toyota dealership's service technician said that one Avalon owner complained about this issue so much that he demanded that something be done about it or he wouldn't take delivery on his car. So the technician used some sort of "gasket maker"(comes in a tube) to create a seal around the outer edges of the brake pads. He said that the Avalon owner has never complained about his brakes since then. :)

Just picture a rectangular object with a metal clip at each end that is centered within a slightly larger metal slot. If you shift the rectangular object to the left, or forward, the metal clip has to eventually come into contact with the left end of the metal slot. Same for the reverse direction. There's the noise we're hearing.

Personally, I have never had any other vehicle to produce this type of noise right after changing directions and applying the brakes for the first time. It's actually not that bad of an issue, but I would prefer that my brakes be 100% silent. On the positive side, my IS300 has the best brakes that I have ever used on any vehicle. So, there is a bright side to this story. ;) Actual braking performance is unaffected by this 'additional brake pad float'--by design.

Hope this helps.

Ron M.
  • gfurneauxgfurneaux Member Posts: 2
    Thanks a lot Ron! I had a feeling that was what was going on. It only seems reasonable that if everything else on the car is so well engineered that the brakes would not have slipped under radar. I think that I might head into the dealership this weekend and see what they can do to fix the "noise". I appreciate your lengthy response to my question. BTW, have you had any problems with your paint?
    To be perfectly honest with you Greg, the brake-related noise issue is the only thing that I can complain about thus far. I bought my car new and it currently has a little over 31,000 miles on it. Admittedly, I stay as far back from the vehicle in front of me as I can to avoid rock chips when driving on a freeway/interstate highway, and I also keep a good coat of Meguiar's Gold Class wax on my hood, front bumper fascia and front fenders. I believe that this helps to avoid some of the front end paint damage to a degree.

Overall, I have been extremely pleased with the IS300. And now that the Lexus service tech has my brake-related noise under control, I have zero complaints. The build quality on these cars really is good when compared to many, many other makes/models.

Take care,

Ron M.
  • linds3linds3 Member Posts: 1
    :mad: I just bought a 2004 IS 300 from Foreign Motors West-Boston,MA (dealer steven Jutkiewicz). I completely regret buying the car from this dealership. They overcharged me for the vehicle and yet keep telling me the check is in the mail after 3 months!!! This dealer was very dishonest about the vehicle. Has anyone else had the same difficulties with this Dealership?? They sell many vehicles online.
    I'm not sure how it's possible for one party to overcharge for something unless the other party is willing to overpay.

This board is deader than dead, so you'd do much better to post your query elsewhere. There are a number of boards devoted to buying/selling vehicles regardless of brand. Possibly Pat will direct you to the most appropriate one(s) -- I don't know them well enough to try to do it myself.

Good luck.
  • ili1ili1 Member Posts: 3
    I disconnected the battery (didn't intend to use the car for a while) and then discovered I had accidently locked the doors. Any idea on how can I open the hood to connect the battery?
  • itsmeehkyleitsmeehkyle Member Posts: 21
    hey you take your valet key and you put it on the drive door key hole and that should open it from the oustide so you can access the hood opener from the inside of the car

Kyle
  • loansignloansign Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2002 IS300 4 door sedan with 235,000 miles. Here is the problem. My car lights have full and partial shutdown problems. Sometimes my right headlamp will not work. Sometimes my left headlamp will not work. Sometimes both headlamps would not work. I already replaced the light control relay. My mechanic said the part was not connecting properly. But, the replacement did not solve the problem. Has anybody had the same problem and solved it.

PS: My high beams work just fine.
  • jae5jae5 Member Posts: 1,206
    from the board.

I am thinking of purchasing a used IS300, in the 2001 ~ 2003 MY range. I am trying to find information on reliability, maintenance and repair costs, service (as in if the repairs are completed correctly the first time, multiple visits for nickel/dime repairs), fuel mileage, overall fit & finish of the cars, what things to look for so that I can avoid a money pit.

My research has been hit or miss, can't really get any information. Can any of you provide thoughts on your vehicles and sites/groups that may have the information I'm looking for?

Thanks.
  • cwis300cwis300 Member Posts: 1
    I hope you don't mind me emailing you. I have just purchased a IS300 Sportcross. I have a similar problem as you have posted on the popping sound when you change gear from forward to reverse. Were you able to resolve your problem on your IS300? I had my brakes checked out by Toyota dealership prior to my purchase and they didn't find any problem. I didn't notice the problem till I brought the car. The brakes on my IS300 does not make a popping sound all the time when I brake, it only does it when I change it from reverse to forward or if I am on the freeway on a grade downhill and I am braking every 5 seconds. Any response from you on how how you resolved the popping sound from when you brake would be appreciated.
  • mark_fmark_f Member Posts: 2
    I would like to add the IS300 to the toyota vehicles with Drive By Wire hesitation problems.

This is total unacceptable for this vehicle. The only way to fix it has been to put a non DBW TB on the car. Unfortunately this eliminates the CC and TCS.

Here is an item that tries to correct Toyotas inability to give a reliable throttle system.
    http://www.jdm-option.com/eng/parts/06_12/direct.html

I would also like to add that i experience the brake noise with the reverse and first stopping. Also the transmission clunk happens.

With the Throttle response, clutch dampening device and throttle dampening devices in place, this car is totally disconnected. No wonder the magazines gave the BMW a better recommendation.

Is it time to start a petition to get a re-calibration of throttle tip in like the appliance style Camry owners complained?
    "Is it time to start a petition to get a re-calibration of throttle tip in. . ."

Yeah. Good luck with that.

You might want to look at the IS250/350 boards, since almost no one posts on the 300 board anymore. What I think you will learn is that the people who drive the IS don't (generally) have a clue what throttle tip-in is, let alone how it should feel. You sound like an enthusiast. You're in the minority, in case you haven't noticed.

I'm guessing you bought this thing used. Enjoy (as best you can)!
  • kc567567kc567567 Member Posts: 29
    You might also think about having the engine checked out ..... i seem to recall a failed Oxygen sensor and/or dirty injectors etc caused me some grief on my 2001 .... spend an extra $100 the next time its in the shop .... make sure you use high test gasoline as well.

KC
  • mark_fmark_f Member Posts: 2
    I frequent the is300.net forums (my.is) and changing to a supra TB is really the only way to correct it.

It does not feel like injectors or o2 sensor, i have never had any Error codes and i only use 93 octane gasoline.

It is just a lousy programming of the DBW. If you look at the Bee*R Direct throttle system it clearly shows almost a half second tip in time.

Either way, it is pretty sad that toyota has calibrated the reaction to be of this nature. And i plan to fully log all channels and report back my findings. Possibly not here, since people do not care as much.
  • the3dstickmanthe3dstickman Member Posts: 1
    Greetings, list. I just found this list and am happy to be on board. I've just been warned by a coworker that since I'm a newbie, I should post pics of my ride. Well, please be patient, I don't have any. Had the '300 for a couple of years now and have not taken any. its going to rain here any hour now, so as soon as I get the chance, I'll post some.
    Looking forward to bouncing my questions to the forum.....so here goes!!

Anyone had any ECU mods done? If so, what was the final outcome, and where/how much did it cost?
  • caliblkwdcaliblkwd Member Posts: 1
    DO ANYONE KNOW WHAT TROUBLESHOOT CODE IS PO110 ON A LEXUS ES 300
  • andeetandeet Member Posts: 142
    I'm on my second Toyota (actually Scion) and I'm interested in buying used IS300.

First all, I know IS300s are RWD. In reality, how is the IS300 in snow conditions? Is it TERRIBLE or is so-so? I currently own a tC and what I have learned you have learned how to drive it. Still driving in snow in a tC is still "So-So." But its not made for winter. I have to rotate tires each winter month to keep traction or I'll slide through red lights even if I'm stopping mile away.

Thanks for your inputs
  • jnorton264jnorton264 Member Posts: 1
    I recently had to replace the calipers in my 2005 IS300. This is my 3rd Lexus vehicle and never have I had to replace calipers!

Wondering if anyone else out there with this model has experienced a similar issue?
  • kc567567kc567567 Member Posts: 29
    Yes i had early problems with a sticky caliper under
    warranty (2001 IS300) ... and it eventually failed about
    2006. These cars could out brake most of the Ferrari 's
    of 2001 though, they are that good .... so i guess extra
    maintenance should be expected. I believe the dealer
    suggested dis assembly, and cleaning every 3 years (which i never did).

When i replaced the rotors in 2005 i stayed with the
    original calipers ... i don't think the breaking could be
    improved without going to an all out racing setup.

KC

Photobucket
  • g2iowag2iowa Member Posts: 123
    Stopped back here for first time in about 7 years. Bought my '04 in September 2003. Has manual transmission and LSD! I've put 122,000 entirely TROUBLEFREE miles on her. She has NEVER been in the shop for a repair. All I do is change fluids, belts, and hoses, and switch her back and forth from winter to summer tires. I do rigorous maintenance every 30K and have used synthetic motor oil every 5K ever since I bought her new. Every time I take her into shop the Lexus service advisor bugs me about selling her. They just don't build 'em like they did these. 3.0L inline 6, LSD, and manual tranny. Can one get a car equipped that way today? I've had 3 of the original generation ISs. Also had an '03 sedan (AT) and a rare bright red '04 Sportwagon. Each was entirely troublefree. If only the Sportwagon had had a manual tranny, I would still have her today!
    Late last summer I was doing some political volunteering. A co-volunteer and I were talking about cars. She was a college student and my daughter is in college. She loved my IS300, esp. since it had a rare stick. She knew they were great used cars. And, like me, she wanted a manual transmission. So for fun, we wasted a bit of time and surfed web to see where we could find a decent low mile IS300 with manual. There weren't many! But did find a couple out west. Don't know if she bought one, but she had all the info. And as CR and others have pointed out, the 1st generation ISs were very well built and make great used cars.
    After 8 years/2 months of driving and about 126,000 miles I finally had to replace the original battery. Still have not had a single mechanical repair. Just routine maintenance. Added up all the maintenance, including snow tire-related charges, and it came out to $7012. Or about 5.57 cents per mile. Have done 25 oil changes, everyone with full synthetic oil.