Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus IS 300

Comments

• automophileautomophile Member Posts: 780
    My car was NOT pre-drilled - they had just gotten it, and didn't install the front plate before delivery - lucky for me!
    For my previous cars with holes, I found small plastic hole plugs in electronics parts stores (usually in white or black) to plug the existing holes.

Is this what you meant?
  • bitkahunabitkahuna Member Posts: 206
    My impressions were similar to yours. I liked the BMW steering/handling feel better. The IS was more fun though - felt more like a light go-kart.

I think one reason though that the IS seemed more twitchy/light to handle than the BMW is that I found the IS faster through the course so typically I'd be entering corners faster.

I can't imagine what the new M3 coming soon will be like. While it won't be cheap, I think it will blow everything remotely similar away.

I did want to comment on your thought that the IS accelerates better off the line than the GS400 - er, I don't think so. I own a GS400 and I think it's much quicker, even right off the line. Puts a grin on my face every time. :-)
  • trucklovertrucklover Member Posts: 51
    but seriously, how does your GS4 compare to the BMW5's handling. Does the GS4 stick like the BMR.

Just curious!

thanks

truck
    I freely admit the GS4 (even with the 17" wheels option, which I have) does not handle as well as a 5 series (certainly not one with the sport package). But my GS4 certainly isn't bad. It will hold pretty flat through curves and the RWD helps going through turns by being able to induce a bit of oversteer to get around (what a joy compared to my previous front wheel drive cars).

But BMW has unique combinations of suspension, steering, and engine that produce a 'driving machine' just like they claim. They of course have been pursuing perfection (he he) of the driving machine for decades.

I chose the GS4 over a 540i because it was about 5K less, had a CD changer inside the car, and I liked the ergonomics and quiet ride more. Another thing is I wanted an automatic and so many BMW owners are 'purists' and have to have a stick I didn't want to bother having to defend owning an automatic. I'd had stick shifts for 12 years and that was the main reason I wanted to get another car. My GS4 trip computer shows my average speed is 34 mph in Atlanta, so how much handling did I need!? But boy can I do 0-34 quick :-)
  • rabon1rabon1 Member Posts: 2
    the lease on my 98 328 will be up in two weeks. I've tried hard to lease another BMW, but the lease rates are incredibly high. Much more than I am paying now. I love the car, but just could not justify the big increase in payments. I never thought of an IS 300, but my wife suggested that we stop in at a Lexus dealer. we did and the rest is history. We both fell in love with the sexy looks of the IS. It was fully optioned and still $5,000 to $7,000 less than the 3 series. the dealer really didn't discount it although he did throw in a set of snow tires and will let me purchase 16 inch rims at his cost. Even with this the lease payment was about $125 per month less than a 330. I thought it was a good deal, comparably speaking and I love the car. BMW needs a rude awakening. I have had two and they haven't done me any favors this time around. You would think that BMW would extend some deals to repeat customers. Well, my wife finally got me into a Lexus dealer and I have to say that it has been a pleasurable experience so far. I pick up the car in two days. I let her decide since she drives the BMW more than me. She absolutely is crazy about the IS 300 and says it is every bit as good as the BMW. We'll see.
  • syellownsxsyellownsx Member Posts: 16
    What color are you getting? Options?
    I always wondered if the GS4 was a handler. I noticed that they are actually on the racing circuit. They never win, but they do ok.

After hearing your response, I wonder why people would pay sticker for an IS300 and not just jump up to a GS3. After dealing the GS3 can be had for about 36-37k and can be leased for about the same monthly payment as the IS, maybe less.

EVERYONE BUYING AN IS300:

Why didn't/don't you bump up to the GS300 for about 1-2k more and get mommy and not the little baby.

Just curious!

Thank guys

Truck
    Thanks guys.
  • mike_dmike_d Member Posts: 2
    I haven't noticed any references to this in previous posts, but I thought I read in Road & Track that the manual in the IS300 for 2002 will be a 6-speed? We took a look at a white one (cloth unfortunately!) over the weekend, and I mentioned I was interested in the "6-speed", and the salesman said that it will be available next summer, but he didn't correct me and say it was only a 5-speed manual. Anyone know the details?
  • enigmaoneenigmaone Member Posts: 128
    mike d,

Its going to be a 5-speed. Original speculation about a year ago was that the IS300 would get a 6-speed, but Lexus has confirmed that it will be a 5-speed manual transmission.
  • mike_dmike_d Member Posts: 2
    That's too bad. Hopefully the manual won't be out of the Camry parts bin or anything like that with rubbery, imprecise action. It will need to be pretty slick to compete with the 3-series manual. I guess we'll have to wait for the initial reviews.

Anyone think it will be worth the wait? Or does the convenience of the current transmission outweight getting an actual clutch pedal?
    No, its a all-new manual being designed for the 2002 IS300. The Supra/SC300 manual was excellent, so I would expect nothing less from the IS300s manual.
  • exacuraexacura Member Posts: 6
    Does anyone know if there is a after-market spoiler for the rear at all???????
    "I wonder why people would pay sticker for
    an IS300 and not just jump up to a GS3. ...
    Why didn't/don't you bump up to the GS300 for
    about 1-2k more and get mommy and not the little
    baby."

We were comparing the GS4 and a 5 series before, but trust me, the IS300 definitely WAY outhandles a GS300, particularly because it isn't offered with 17's, but even that wouldn't get it close.

The IS300 is a tighly wound light go kart compared to a GS300. Completely different cars. My GS400 does not handle like the IS300.

After thrashing an IS300 at both the Lexus IS tour and the Edmunds Live events, getting back into my car was definitely different!
    exacura,

Yeah, there are wings available for the IS300. I think a wide variety should be available, from conservative to outrageous.

Call Rod Millen Motorsports.
  • dauber2dauber2 Member Posts: 2
    The manual tranny will be a five speed, not 6. The current 6 speed cannot handle the extra tourque of the engine. The IS200 in Japan was only a 2.0 liter engine. Also, as a direct competitor for the 3-series, a five-speed was deemed suitable. It should be out enxt summer after passing US certifications.
  • syellownsxsyellownsx Member Posts: 16
    I thought of getting a GS300 instead of my IS, but by looking at the big picture, the IS appealed to me more. The design is newer and sharper than the GS300, I CANNOT stand having the CD changer in the glove box, the 16" rims look horrible and the IS is faster and lighter. Also, standard HID's and I like the suede/leather combo. Driving my mom's ES300, everything slides around in the car; Case Logic binders, backpacks, people... :-) The only feature I like about the GS300 was that it came with power tilt/telescoping column.

Just finished washing/waxing/conditioning my car. I am TOTALLY satisfied with it. Gotta go cruising now! :-)
  • 90maxima90maxima Member Posts: 14
    Congratulations to all new IS owners for a great car. I would very much like to joint the rank with you, but I want to know what the current pricing policy is. Would you please enlighten me on any break from MSRP? Thank you for your response.
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    ....are always local questions - there is no general answer that works. For example, in the NorCal market [SF and Sacto] finding discounts is very difficult. But I have been offered $1000 - $1300 off MSRP at such disparate locations as Bakersfield, Thousand Oaks, and Reno NV. I just happened to stop by the guy in Reno during a recent stay; the others I contacted by e-mail. I picked only dealers in small-town and far-suburban locations, away from the hot money that is chasing too few cars in LA and SF. How any of this helps where you live??? It's all local...
  • 90maxima90maxima Member Posts: 14
    jrct9454

As you stated, there are few cars in the big cities and that better deals are usually found in places far away from population centers. I, unfortunately, live right in the middle of greater L.A. However, for $1000, I'm willing to drive to all the places you mentioned to get one. Many thanks for your suggestions.
  • shanelexusshanelexus Member Posts: 5
    Hello Everyone,

I've seen many references from people who would love to own the new iS-300 however local markets aren't at all cooperative in pricing.

I currently have over 30 iS's on the ground available for immediate delivery, colors you name it, I have it!!

Take your choice of 2k off sticker, or 1,500.00 off and a one-way airline ticket to beautiful West Palm Beach, make a deal prior to August 17th, and I'll also include two nights hotel!!

For those of you that have schedules that won't allow you to make the trip, 1,500.00 off M.S.R.P and 500.00 Credit towards transport to your doorstep!!

Act fast as supplies are limited!!

Shane Palmer,

Looking to be the world's Premier on-line retailer, of the finest cars on the PLANET!!!

shane@lexusofpb.com
  • rabon1rabon1 Member Posts: 2
    I wish I had seen your posting about 5 days ago. I just leased a new IS300. It seems like a great car. It will replacing a BMW 328i(98) so it has big shoes to fill.
    It's silver with the black leather/suede interior and the carbon graphite dash. Very nice. So far the ride has been good, even with the 17in tires. I have to admit though I will miss the BMW.
    Has anyone purchased the rear wing or spoiler on the IS300??? Is this a dealer option or factory installed? I just saw a black IS on the road with one and it looked great! Also, if anyone knows the price on this. Thanks....
    Has anyone purchased the rear wing (spoiler) on the IS300?? Is this a dealer option or factory installed? Anyone have a price on this? I saw one tonight on a black IS and it looked great! Thanks......
  • scongroscongro Member Posts: 80
    A spoiler is not a factory irem, but I'm sure if your heart is set on a wing, your dealer could find one for you.

The downside to a non-factory spoiler is you can tell if it is factory or not on every single one by looking at the hi-mount light.

On a factory wing, there is no interior hi-mount light. On any other wing, you can see a fourth light whenever the car stops (2 taillights, one on the factory hi-mount, and the 4th on the wing)

This may just be something with me personally, though. Don't know if anyone else even notices or cares about it
  • cole01cole01 Member Posts: 29
    I have seen a couple of cars with the rear spoiler and they also looked very good. I also saw one at the dealer and didn't even realize it must be after-market. Anyone have one??? if you do, what was pricing?
    scongro,

You can have the rear third brake light in the rear window taken out and get plugs to fill the 2 holes that remain. Thats what the dealers are supposed to do when they install wings on GS300 or GS400s that did not come with wings from the factory. And I don't think most people even notice that the dealer leaves the third brake light in the rear window.

IS300 wings are not available, yet, from the factory.
  • shanelexusshanelexus Member Posts: 5
    Exacura,

I was assigned a "pet" project in finding "aftermarket" parts for the iS-300.

We are currently using two spoilers on the car, the one we use most often sits low on the Trunk-deck, wraps around the sides as if it were sculpted for the car. Both have a built in Third brake light.

The second "Spoiler" is much more "aggressive" in nature, however it complements the car very well.

This one peaks at 5" above the deck and the gaps along the outside edge are a bit larger promoting the "aggressive" look.

I would gladly forward a photo of these "installed" to anyone who may be interested in ordering.

I can be reached by e-mail @ shane@lexusofpb.com

I will receive the message immediately, via mobile messaging, and will respond at my first opportunity!

The first spoiler comes with 4yrs/50k warranty just like the car itself if installed by certified "Lexus" technician.

Please ask your local service advisor about install prices prior to ordering. This usually takes 30-60 minutes.

Hope this information is useful,

Shane Palmer,

Striving to be the "Premier" on-line retailer of the finest cars on the Planet!!!

shane@lexusofpb.com
  • cole01cole01 Member Posts: 29
    Has anyone bought from lexus of palm beach?? Really $2000 off msrp????? Let us know....Thanks....
  • ferarri11ferarri11 Member Posts: 91
    how fast is the IS selling? up till yesterday, i have only seen 1 other. today i saw a gray one. same color so as the first so it may have been the same car or gray is a popular color. i have to say it looks much better in metal than on paper.
  • scongroscongro Member Posts: 80
    I don't know numbers, but I know that it lifted Lexus to it's best July in history.
  • lhn5lhn5 Member Posts: 37
    I have only seen one, yellow, in a parking lot. The backseat had two baby carseats. Go figure.
    ONly seen one so far on the road. It was graphite gray, at the movie theater.
    One can try to compare the 328 and 330 with the IS, but not the 323.
  • merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    Maybe it's the area here, but I've seen several IS300's. I've seen it in Yellow, Black, Blue and of course Silver. To me it looks best in Black with the wheels chromed. That dark Blue looks good too though. The car really looks menacing, especially when accelerating/squating away from a stoplight. It's just hard to believe it's a Lexus.

M
  • ferarri11ferarri11 Member Posts: 91
    ...and i've been actually looking for the car...though lexus' best july was mostly due to the RX300 and the IS helped less so, though still made a few thousand more sales.
    I saw the yellow IS in the same parking lot this wee, and then saw a silver one that looked like it had just been driven spanking new off the lot on the freeway. The silve looks better than the yellow. I hope to see a blue one in action soon.
  • im_brentwoodim_brentwood Member Posts: 4,883
    Well,

Except for the Imperial Jade, we've had every color in. Spectra Blue/Ivory is by far my favorite color combo :)

Bill
  • mmcbride1mmcbride1 Member Posts: 861
    On the way to work I drove by an IS300 getting loaded onto a wrecker. the guy had rear-ended someone and destroyed the front of his car. There didn't appear to be any injuries, just an owner understandably beside himself.
    And that has what to do with this topic?
    I felt bad for the guy, since his car was obviously no more than a couple of months old.

(I happen to like the IS. I'm just waiting to drive the manual, that's all).
    weren't good enough to correct for poor driving skills.
    Owner was probably smoking something.....
    Don't have a problem with the post. Just pointing out the relevance of it to the topic.

I'm waiting to drive a manual too. Got a year to wait.

Tick. Tick. Tick. Tick......
    This is a Lexus IS300 topic. He was driving an IS300. Seems pretty relevant to me.
    Someone randomnly crashing a IS300 out in the world is irrelevant to what people talk about in here.

I saw a I30 rear-ended by a Jeep Cherokee a few weeks ago. But who cares? I don't.
    Why are you always so damn argumentative? It's like you feel you must respond to everything I write, regardless of the topic. And you usually have a snide remark to go along with your posts. Do me a favor and ignore anything I post. You can bet it won't be addressed to you, anyway. I'll do the same for you.
  • automophileautomophile Member Posts: 780
    We are all here because we are interested in the IS300 - one way or another, and like cars. Few here will NOT share the empathy felt by mmcbride1 for the guy who crashed a brand new one of the rare cars we are interested in - right? Besides - we have plenty of space here, as much as we need! We don't always have to discuss features and numbers to be on topic.
    yeah. Basically I love arguments! Its the spice of life!
    You know you would be bored without me to keep things entertaining!!