Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus IS 300

Comments

• shawn325ishawn325i Member Posts: 100
    haven't driven the TL, of course not, how can you comment!!!!!
  • mchwemchwe Member Posts: 23
    anyone have details as to the upcoming manual is300? i have heard there may be an upgraded engine associated with it. 5sp vs 6speed? also, i have heard that they are changing the look a little (red taillights instead of clear). anyone have any reliable sources for such info?
  • v_techv_tech Member Posts: 52
    about shawns and 325i's that just get me going. shawn, how is the maintenance on your 325i?? the engine didn't blow up like all the other guys posting on the 3 series board?? just wondering. just watch out for the manual IS this year your pride might be shattered a little. =)

no i haven't driven the TL but i have driven the accord v6 and camry xle. boy i wonder how much different the driving experience could be??? difference in power?? i can use my own imagination folks i don't need to waste time driving a type S. I SAT IN ONE!! it is a mature interior i guess. i just think it is as boring as the million 3 series drivers who said the IS300's ride was boring. that folks is more laughable than me stating the TL has a boring interior and "accord deluxe" look to it.

vvti
    all BMW 3 series engines blow up, that's part of the owning experience, didn't you know?

Yes, there is a big difference in driving between the TL and the others you mentioned!!!
    Is there a difference in driving a camry and the IS, of course. You will learn to appreciate autos other than those that say Lexus or Acura when you mature in age.

As far as the BMW 3 series owners that said the IS drive was boring, I haven't heard of one, in fact quite the opposite. What the BMW owners can attack is the subjectives like styling and so on.

Pride, no pride to get hurt here!!! Tell me, is your pride hurt when the WRX goes flying by you in your IS300?? Probably not right, well same thing here. Besides, as mentioned earlier I think you are going to be very disappointed with the manuals actual numbers, keep dreaming about mid 6 sec times.
  • jkmfromlajkmfromla Member Posts: 22
    Maybe I'm wrong, but I didn't think the Type S and IS300 were in the same class. I don't mean they're not in the same league, but that someone who's looking at an IS300 wouldn't consider the Type S.

When I went looking, I compared the IS300 to 325i and the A4 2.8. I didn't really think about the Type S because it's something my mom would buy (btw, I'm 28 in So Cal). Granted the Type S has a big engine, but it looks just like the regular TL and it's front wheel drive.

Acura/Honda make great cars, but the TL's styling is a little bland. I'm sure some would say the IS300 looks too out there, but I think it's appealing to the demographic group it is targeting. You wouldn't believe how may 18-25 year olds gawk at my IS300. I've even had people come up to me at gas stations asking about it. I don't think the Type S can generate that kind of response.

Maybe that's part of the reason why the IS300 hasn't sold like hotcakes. Maybe it's too focused on a small group of potential buyers. I don't know about others, but I don't think I could've afforded to buy this car when I was in my early 20's. Maybe the only ones who want to and can afford to buy the IS300 are men in their mid to late 20's and/or those who can have their moms & dads pay for it. Maybe Lexus wanted the IS300 to appeal to a larger group, but it didn't work out that way and I'm happy it didn't.
  • silverlexsilverlex Member Posts: 156
    I had to laugh about the gas station comment. I also get that response, and have had people walk over a couple times to ask questions and look inside. Even had neighbors we've never met come over from down the street, knock on our door, and ask for a peek. :D Best of all is watching the rubber necking you get going through an intersection.

Love it or hate it, it turns heads.
  • fxashunfxashun Member Posts: 747
    The TL Type S has a big engine??? It's only 200 cc bigger than the IS's engine.
    fxashun-i am no expert on how vtec works but i think it is safe to say honda knows how to get more bang out of small engines than toyota does. look at the nsx and the S2000. pound for pound, liter for liter, these are practically the greatest cars ever made engine wise. i think that bmw is lucky that toyota can't make a 3600 pound car move like acura can with only a V6 auto non supercharged or turbocharged. i know one thing, it won't be long before they do.
    vvti
    you must not be reading what they are posting on the bmw 3 site. it is almost a longer wreck of vehicles than iraq's failed escape from kuwait. strange you aren't lurking on the 3 series site and instead decide to come here.

then we have a recent poster on the ISvs3seriesvsvolvos60vsA4vsMBcclass site who just said his 5 series was breaking every month but he still wants a 325i. illogical?? i think so. Fix Or Repair Daily. maybe bmw and ford should merge.
    =)
    i must concur on the enormous amount of attention the IS300 draws. people point from their cars, younger guys with wide open mouths in the back seat drive by you in the parking lot. billions of modified hondas/integras try to race you no matter where you are. many of the racer boys try to tail you on the freeway just to get a good look. oh the jaw-dropping envy and the drool is abundant.

is this the policy of racer boys solely?? hardly. in the parking lots older couples often stop to stare. they yell at you that the lights are on as you are leaving the area. i tell them don't worry as they continue to stare mesmerized by the xenons and yellow fogs.

i was washing the car one day and a old guy came up out of nowhere and asked how much i paid for the car. he once had a GS400 he told me.

one day a lady in her 30's stopped in the middle of the road across from my house and yelled that she loves my car. i wonder if this kind of stuff happens to c class, 325/330, s60t,A4,TL drivers???

i am not even done with the drooling stories either but i will spare you shawn.

vtec
    shawn-you may not believe me but i had a billion guys on the 3 series site tell me they had one word for the IS300's drive. BORING!!! i think some of them called the IS300 sluggish too for that matter. i laughed so hard my stomach was sore.

it won't disappoint me if a WRX goes flying by me on the freeway. why would it?? the WRX can fly by most sport lux sedans so what is the big deal?? like i told you before if i wanted to end the debate with you i would put a turbo kit (it is available)in my IS300 and say THERE!!! It is more fun this way though. =)

vtec
    just took a 1 minute peek today and the other day. in 2 little peeks i discovered a 330i that blew up upon delivery, another 330i that has 500 miles on it that is having engine problems (a sudden loss of power) when downshifting described as "seizing" followed by the maintenance light going on (he said it happened two times). then we have a guy named deepdarkblue responding that his 325 was doing the exact same thing. he called the bmw dealer and the only thing they could think of was if you put low quality gas in your bmw this may happen even if it is high octane. most troubling and disconcerting reading material if you ask me. AND i never read more than a page due to the 500 posts a week or something like that. who knows what other carnage is out there. =) i should go post there how my friends dads 528i only a year old caught fire and burned down. he now drives a 740i. some lessons are hard learned. maybe that is why his mother just went and bought a GS300.

vtec
  • fxashunfxashun Member Posts: 747
    I don't know....But I'd rather have an IS. I gotta have a sunroof.
    BMW 3 series owners expect their engines to blow up, we have so much money to throw around!!!

Give your head a shake!

I guess the MIGHTY IS300 has no problems whatsoever, right?

Hmm problems, slow sales, car is too expensive for its targeted market, 20 something, cheap plastics on the interior, busy interior, funky tail lights, questionably sprint times based on 215 horses, hash ride, boy racer image and so on............

Hell of a slalom runner and great brakes and those amazed drooling fools you speak of, well, if thats what you like so be it. Next time someone yells "what the hell is that" don't be surprised if they mean it in a negative way.

As far as comments go on the 3series, happens all the time, but thank god they save their drool.
    you hang out here Shawn...for Vtech's company? If you don't particularly care for a certain make/model, why hang out in the forum it's being talked about in?

I suggest a new forum called "Shawn vs Vtech" J/k!

Honestly, I'm not trying to get rid of you. Just trying to understand.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    We already have one argument, er discussion, on the Comparisons board where we have carried on about the 3-Series and the IS 300 - let's take it back over there, if indeed there is anything new to be said - which I kinda doubt!

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    I doubt I'm the only one who is weary of the "my car is better than your car" nonsense that seems to break out on this board periodically. These diatribes sound for all the world like the hallway conversations of a typical high school, with all of the lofty emotional maturity that implies.

Look, if you haven't driven all of the cars in this class [IS, A4, 3er, C, TL to name the biggest players] yourself, you should. I found that there were more things to like about each of the competitors than dislike, and am particularly bemused by the vilification of anything with front-drive. I prefer rear-drive myself, but can assure you that a well-driven TL-S will bug your eyes out just as fast as anything else in this class. The simple fact is that the Japanese provide better value and the promise of better long-term reliability, and the Germans tend to be more refined and capable of more balanced trade-off between ride and handling. The rest is personal preference, and by all means, state yours as you wish...but quit trashing the competition, because there are no bad cars in this group. And do make sure that your opinions are backed up by some personal experience - that helps, as well...
    about the 3-Series vs the IS300 since that conversation - as I noted earlier - is fully underway on our Comparisons board. Interested parties know exactly where it is located.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
    And as I suggested several days ago, anyone is welcome to go to our Comparisons board and start up any new IS300 vs. whatever discussions, if one does not exist already.

The purpose of this conversation is to discuss specifically the IS300 with a mind toward owners helping owners and also prospective buyers having a place to ask their questions. Some comparison discussion to be expected and not a problem, but lately this entire conversation has been overtaken with comparisons.

We HAVE an appropriate place for comparisons to be discussed. Let's go there for further conversation along those lines.

Thank you.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
  • mchwemchwe Member Posts: 23
    so important to stay en pointe, as it were. my last post seemed to have gotten buried: does anyone have details about upcoming manual transmission, and whether there will be an upgraded engine to go with it? thanks!
    mchwe-the manual is due out in august sometime. there will be no change in the engine i believe. it will be five speed despite some thinking it was going to be six.

the manual i think is coming with 18 inch rims. if you go to lexus.com there is a picture of the new red manual version with 18 inch rims. i prefer the older graphite polished 5 spokes. a small spoiler is also available too i believe.

you can ask silverlex about the rest of the goodies being added on this year. he posted them on sedans vs sedans IS vs MB C class vs volvo S60 vs 3 series vs A4 somewhere i think. there aren't too many posts there you should be able to find it if you are interested.

the suspension should be tighter too from what i have heard. this car obviously will be faster than the automatic and lighter too.

the automatic already has a jet fighter feel to it. the manual should be a gem. the coupe and cabriolet versions are also on the way if you are interested.

vvti
  • sirharpersirharper Member Posts: 112
    It still looks like a car that Pokemon would drive!
    I thought I posted an answer to Mchwe, but I can't seem to find it. Pat?

Anyway, like Vtech said, there isn't going to be an upgraded engine. But expect better acceleration since more HP will make it to the wheels instead of getting sapped by the automatic transmission. Times have yet to arrive.

The manual will have an 18" option, but I don't think that's standard.
    Tails will also remain the same. Check out the 2002 Maxima's new tails. Look familiar?
    Something happened Monday - in fact I think it happened two or three different times - where some posts were lost, and some folks message counters were reset. That's probably what happened to your message.

Sorry about that. They must have gotten the problem fixed because it hasn't happened anymore since about 1 or 2 pm (Town Hall time) on Monday.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
  • jkmfromlajkmfromla Member Posts: 22
    my bad. i said bigger, but i really meant more hp. it should've read "it's got more hp, but it looks just like the regular TL and it's fwd."
    Lexus IS300 Pace Car
    October 31, 2000

A race-modified Lexus IS 300 pace car lead the pack at the Marlboro CART 500 FedEx Championship season finale, Friday October 27 through Sunday October 29, at the California Speedway in Fontana, California.

The bright yellow IS 300 was outfitted with race and safety modifications to handle the demands of pacing Champ Car races. The pace car features a five-speed manual transmission and a Toyota Racing Development (TRD) supercharger, which adds 50 horses for a total of 265 horsepower.

Other modifications include a roll cage, race-tuned suspension with Eibach racing coil springs, and Bilstein shocks. Rolling stock includes 18-inch front and 19-inch rear BBS wheels and Bridgestone Potenza 225/35ZR18 tires in the front and 245/35ZR19 in the rear while Brembo brakes help keep the IS 300 in check.

This is the third foray into the CART pace car lineup for Lexus. The SC 400 sport coupe led the way in 1992 and the high-performance GS 400 rounded the track first in 1997 at the Toyota Grand Prix of Monterey.

Lexus is also working with TRD to create an L-Tuned version of the IS 300. Body effects would feature front fascia and lip spoiler, choice of grilles, side skirts, rear wing and wheel/tire set. Suspension modifications would include shocks, springs, front and rear sway bars, brake pad and slotted brake rotors as well as a performance high-flow exhaust.

Here's the link to the article:
    http://www.motortrend.com/news/stories/001031lexus.html
    very nice. thanks silver.

vvti
    It looks like the pricing post was removed, probably because it included a contact to a particular dealership. IS300.net has the pricing for the 2002 IS (manual, AT and Sportcross) on their front page.

These were taken with a digital camera, so they might not be completely accurate. Every color except red has a metallic finish.
  • mmcbride1mmcbride1 Member Posts: 861
    That'll be an interesting one to see in person.
  • jmad325jmad325 Member Posts: 17
    Hi, I'm looking into replacing my 95 3 series coupe and stopped to look at the IS 300 recently although I didn't drive it. So far I am interested in this car and am wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a good Lexus dealer in the Houston area. I talked to someone at Sterling McCall but afterwards heard that they aren't the best place, although they are the closest. Anyone have any suggestions on where I can get a good deal on a 2001 or maybe a 2002 if I go for stick? thanks, josh
    Lexus Ranks No. 1 in J.D. Power and Associates Customer Service Study for the 10th Time in 11 Years

July 11, 2001 -- Torrance, CA -- Lexus once again upheld its reputation as the industry leader in customer satisfaction as reflected in the latest J.D. Power and Associates study announced today. For 2001, Lexus is No. 1 in Customer Satisfaction with Dealer Service in the independent research firm’s Customer Service Index (CSI) Study.

With 903 out of a possible 1,000 points, Lexus holds the top spot for the 10th time in 11 years. CSI results are based on more than 56,000 vehicle owners who evaluated their visits to dealerships during the first three years of ownership. Even with the increased sales volume the Lexus brand has experienced in the past few years, Lexus dealers continue to stay focused on exceeding customers’ expectations and providing the best service in the industry.

"At Lexus, success is defined by much more than vehicles sales," said Denny Clements, Lexus group vice president and general manager. "When Lexus was established in 1989, our commitment was to give customers an unparalleled buying and ownership experience, and now 12 years later, these survey results show that our cream-of-the-crop dealers continue to deliver on Lexus’ high standards for customer satisfaction."

The combination of excellent products and outstanding customer treatment has resulted in Lexus becoming one of the world’s premier luxury brands.

The article is found here
    for the IS300, at least here in Canada???
    Again, if you are interested in comparing the IS300 to other vehicles, please go to our Comparisons - Sedans vs. Sedans folder and join an existing conversation, or start a new one if a suitable one is not already underway.

Thanks.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
  • oac3oac3 Member Posts: 373
    I am new here, so please be gentle :-)

I am interested in the '01 IS and took a test drive a couple of days ago. Loved it. Since I 'walked in' to the dealership, I got a lack-lustre $31,650 bo from the sales guy. I told him I am going to be checking out the 325i, and would get back to him on my decision.

Just need some help on pricing. Edmund's TMV was $30.5K on a souped-up IS (w/premium leather, moonroof, ++), but CarsDirect.com had the same priced at $30.9K, compared with the dealer's $31.6K. Think I can get a better deal than $30.9K ? And if so, any recommendation on dealership ? I live in San Diego and can travel as far as LA if the deal is right.

Thanks
  • raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    Omo-

Try offering the Edmunds' price to your local dealer, if he won't take it maybe someone in LA will.

That price is pretty cheap, since most of the cars will have the leather, moonroof, trunk mat and wheel locks, plus the dealers have to pay an advertising fee to Lexus.
    from one standpoint it is reasonable to expect some really good deals now because it is closeout time and the IS hasn't sold like hotcakes. from the other standpoint 31,650 is still a pretty good price for a pretty loaded IS300. the 325i with a load of options on it would cost you well over 35K BEFORE TAX unless they gave you a unbelievable deal. either way you would be paying more for the bimmer no matter what and i think the guys at lexus know that.

but i do agree with you that they should be offering a little less than that at this point in time. but remember, that moonroof is regularly a 1000 dollars and the leather package is 1700. throw in the polished rims and you have a 34K car BEFORE TAX. you are being offered a decent deal unless of course this car is a demo (which it isn't of course).

silverlex got the best deal i have ever heard of at 31K pretty loaded. i had to pay 33,800 after tax loaded so you can see the 31,650 could be better but it could be worse. with the moonroof and leather package i'd say that is pretty good though.

vtec
  • oac3oac3 Member Posts: 373
    for all of your nice suggestions and comments. I will try to see the dealer this weekend and hope to work something out. I am trying to work around a $30K+TL deal if I can find one. The dealer told me they need to move out some cars due to their high volume and hence the $3K under MSRP deal he offered on a silver or white IS300. If he won't budge then its over to CarsDirect.com since their price is the best, so far, at $30.9K. My first choice would be a land-based dealer, of course. Just more convenient imo.

Anyways, many thanks once again. I'll come back here to update you all on how I did.

BTW, would the '02 be priced about same for '01, and what major changes are envisaged ? The dealer told me he expects the '02's to come in by September 24th or thereabouts. I can wait, if necessary, but would rather like to buy when the dealer can make a deal to reduce volume....
  • hvan3hvan3 Member Posts: 630
    If you can wait till September, then wait till Infiniti comes out with I35. Make a cross comparisons and decide then.
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    $600 over invoice back in February here in Atlanta. You might be able to do better than that now that the 2002s are approaching. Shop around via email. You'd be surprised by the difference in pricing from dealer to dealer, even when their less than 10 miles apart.
    Did I call it or what? :) I go away on break and return to see our discussion with the "read only" label. Fun while it lasted though.
    yeah you called it for sure. i cringed when you posted that last message because i knew you were probably right. =( it is too bad because it was indeed a lot of fun. i think aculex got kicked out of the town hall completely as all of his posts are deleted it seems. they don't like his poems i guess. =)

how was your trip?? did you drive? i forgot if you were doing a road trip or not.

vvti/vtec
    West Virginia has some amazing backroad driving. I drove the roads you see on the commercials, full of rolling hills, hairpin turns and 8% grades, with beautiful mountain streams and mountain views running next to them. It was a blast, and the IS handled it so well carving up the turns. I used the manumatic pretty much the entire time. One suprise was the amount of acceleration it had in 5th gear climbing a mountainside highway. I rarely felt the need to drop it into 4th. I put another 1000 miles on it, and I don't know if it's just me, but the engine seems to be getting smoother and smoother, which is hard to believe since it started out so buttery smooth at mile 1. I'm now 9000 miles.
  • mstsscmstssc Member Posts: 89
    I wouldn't say IS300 deals are being handed out left right and centre. Where I live they are discounting $2200 cdn from MSRP and offering 6.9% lease rate. Hardly a fire sale considering Audi, Volvo, Saab, VW all doing the same. I am holding out for further reductions at year end. MB and BMW (except E class and 5 series) can't get the cars so no discount likely.

Steve
  • bigbadboss101bigbadboss101 Member Posts: 54
    Where are you and is the discount off the $40,800 bases price?
  • mitsugstmitsugst Member Posts: 41
    The IS300 manual is coming in less than a week.

Here's the information from Autoweek yesterday (7/24):

http://www.autoweek.com/cat_content.mv?port_code=autoweek&cat_code=reviews&content_code=03126298

highlights:

5-speed well matched to the engine.

"no holes in the transmission where one gear had run out of oomph before the next one was handy"

"not a drivetrain that cries out for a six-speed"

"Lexus says the new transmission knocks off half a second in 0-to-60-mph times"

"The manual arrives in showrooms in August"

So what does everyone think of this?

I am personally looking for a car that has some youth built into it, great performance (not necessarily RWD), around 30grand or less, and doesn't scream wealth (BMW,Merc,Jaguar). I'm looking at a RSX type S (although it has FWD), still debating if the WRX is bareable to be seen in, and wondering if the IS300 Manual will come close enough in the performance.

What do you guys think?

the hardliners on these boards, V_tech for sure won't be all that happy with the quotes in this article. V_Tech, how about pulling a few quotes out of this one?????

"....the closest we got when we tested the automatic was 7.99 seconds. Given that, our estimate for 0-60 mph would be in the low sevens"

"....., Lexus is getting closer to BMW. Not as close as Lexus would like you to think...."

".... BMW is still king of the sport sedan segment...."

Well, V_tech how do you feel with your "jetfighter" predictions?????