Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Windstar

Comments

• wholiganwholigan Member Posts: 148
    You should notice that nearly all the complaints/issues you see here involve the 3.8L V6 engine (usually combined with the AXOD transmission). Note that the year does not seem to matter. The 97 3.8's are starting to have similar head gasket failures that the 95's had. While all rumor, I have read that engineers at Ford now suspect a design flaw in this engine that is causing unbalanced rotation pressure in the main front crank bearing. In turn, cylinder #4 (one of the two that is closest to the front bearing) gets erratic wear and creates unforeseen pressure. Over time, the head gasket will fail because it was not designed to handle the forces being placed upon it.

Just avoid the 3.8L. And after my personal experiences with the Ford Motor Company, I would avoid Ford all together... But that is story for another day... Whatever you do, good luck!
    2003 Honda Odyssey EX-LRES - Midnight Blue Pearl
    2004 Honda Accord EX-L Graphite Pearl
    2007 Honda Civic EX - Atomic Blue
    2013 Honda Civic LX - Crimson Pearl
  • lsg1lsg1 Member Posts: 42
    I had a 98 GL. It had numerous problems with the traction control and ABS system. I had to take it back so many times, that the dealership decided to buy back my 98, give my a $5000 bonus, and I got a 2000 LX for very little money out of my pocket. I had the 98 for exactly 1 year, and 20,000 miles, so I figured this was a good deal. I have the 2000 for almost 8 months now, and had only one major problem so far.
  • dannynoonan1dannynoonan1 Member Posts: 15
    Wholigan Where did you read about the unbalanced rotation theory ? I just did a buyback ($6650 + 3000 incentive) to get a 2000 LX Windstar.
  • espowariespowari Member Posts: 36
    We're the new owners of a 95 Windstar - I know I know...

The passenger window will no longer roll down via button on either door. I
    don't see in the manual how to child proof it. Previously it would roll down
    fine. I think I did a combination of turning the car on and holding both
    buttons down to let some of the heat out, but I can't reverse it.

Any ideas? I haven't checked the fuses yet, but I suspect that they're fine,
    as the other window rolls down.

Any help is much appreciated.

E
  • dannynoonan1dannynoonan1 Member Posts: 15
    My 95 passenger window also experienced the not working occasionly, it would start working again. I never had it checked by dealer. I would check past history on your vehicle for headgaskets etc. I think any FORD dealer can check by VIN number. I loved my Windstar until the day it died. I loved my Windstar until the day it died.
  • wholiganwholigan Member Posts: 148
    Let me reiterate that this is rumor and speculation, however, what I read was an "evaluation" from a mechanical engineer that works for Chrysler (they specialize in performance engines). They try to evaluate other engineering issues to prevent them in future designs (too bad they can't deal with their own under-geared transmissions!). This was the analysis (I do not know WHO did the analysis) after doing a "reverse-engineer" of four blown 3.8L motors.

On the other side, congrats on the new van. Keep it until the warranty runs out then dump it like a hot potato. I shouldn't really say that. You are one of the few that I have read where Ford has treated you fairly well (after much work I am sure!). I wish my story had a replacement van! I would feel much more comfortable in a van that I knew was warranted. Instead I continue to pay off the home equity loan (that I is major upside down compared to trade value) in the repaired 95 WS on its fourth transmission and second engine. I trust it as far as I can throw it. Just last night my wife (and three small children) was driving back from IL when she decided to stop for gas. After getting off the exit, she went to press the brake and there was NOTHING. Went right through an intersection. Nearly got hit by a pickup. The culprit was a rusted brake line (near the Master Cylinder I might add). Gosh, I really just wish this would get bought back...

Good Luck!
    2003 Honda Odyssey EX-LRES - Midnight Blue Pearl
    2004 Honda Accord EX-L Graphite Pearl
    2007 Honda Civic EX - Atomic Blue
    2013 Honda Civic LX - Crimson Pearl
  • honkenhonken Member Posts: 4
    Hi Again!

What more specific whas the problem whith the
    ABS system and the Traction Control on your
    Windstar 98 Gl?

Is there anyone else who has this problem.

I live in Sweden and i´m getting my Windstar on friday. I am just a little bit nervous if this
    are a good car or not.

Exusce my poor English.

Hope for answers!

Honken from Rejmyre in Sweden
    I had a light flashing on my dashboard that said TRACOFF and every thing they used to stop the flashing did not work.They changed a brake switch, and it worked for a few weeks, and then the light started flashing again, and this time the ABS light came on. They changed the ABS module, and that fixed the problem for a few more weeks, and then the TRACOFF light started flashing again.They then said that the computer had to be reset, and that fixed it for about a week. Then it happened again, and they had the van for over a week. They did one more thing(cant remember) and insisted that it would fix it, and if it didnt, they would take back the van, and give me a new one. Well, we drove all the way to Florida from NY and back, and thought they really fixed it and then one day, it started flashing again, so I called them, and they said they would arrange to give me a 2000. This all took place over a 6 month period.
    If you look on the ntsa database for technical service bulletins :
    www.nhtsa.com/cars/problems/tsb/servicemmy1.cfm
    and you look under Ford Truck/Windstar/1998,
    you will see that there are a few complaints about the TRACOFF light intermintenly flashing, but as I saw, they could not fix it.
  • princ1princ1 Member Posts: 1
    My 96 windstar van just went in to the dealer with a transmission problem. Does this seem to be a problem with the 96's? I have read the disaster stories about the 95's. We have 59000 miles on this van. I am not very comfortable with my family riding in this right now. Have any dealers been receptive to helping with what seems to be a problem engine (3.8)?
  • honkenhonken Member Posts: 4
    Hi Laura!

Thanks for the tip.

Honken
  • kathyk3kathyk3 Member Posts: 1
    We just purchased an LX Sport. The sticker said this van comes with the Comfort Group (which includes a roof rack), however, our van had none. When we questioned our salesman he said that since it had the spoiler, that took the place of the roof rack. Does that make since? The van also came without floor mats. We specifically found where "floor mats with sport logo" were included in the sticker's standard equipment, so he's ordering those for us. But this roof-rack thing has me stumped. Other than that the dealer was great and we love the van.
  • gdmartin1gdmartin1 Member Posts: 1
    We've had numerous problems with ours mainly with plastic trim pieces on the seats which was an aggravation especially since the dealer kept ordering gray instead of tan.
    My city mileage was down to 10mpg recently until I happened to speak to the service rep. at the Mitsu dealer next door to the Ford dealer. We also own a 2000 Galant(fine car). He told me that a hesitation had been reported on some older Mitsubishi's and that rang a bell with me since I too have hesitation with the Windstar(32,000)and also experienced the same with the 3.0L Dynasty I had. There is an electrically controlled choke mechanism mounted right above the butterfly plate. You can take it off yourself and spray carburetor/choke cleaner in it and Voila!, no more hesitation! It had gotten real bad on my Dynasty and after the cleaning performance improved. I just wish I'd get the mileage on the van like I did on the Dynasty. I even moved up to premium gas on the van so that it could clean the injectors better than regular. Three tanks of premium so far and I have yet to see if the mpg improves.
    Ford called us last week to tell us that the 2001 Windstars won't be out until January. They look so much better than the '00 models. But we'll have to stick with a '00 since our lease is up soon. I'd prefer a new MPV but the wife still wants her Windstar. The MPV is packaged nicer with features and costs a lot less.
    I agree with some of the other contributors here in that Ford has not been consistent with options and features inside. For instance, tell me why in the world could the overhead console work in the 3-door '98 but it can't work in the same model for '00? It has to be only in the 4-door.
    I'll be glad to get rid of this van. Like my neighbor say's "Dodge sucks" but I had less trouble with my Dodge than this Ford!!
    You said in your post that the 01 Windstar looks better than the 2000 model. Are they restyling again so soon? What has changed?

Thanks
  • carolf1carolf1 Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased a used Windstar SE 2000 with 3600 miles on it for $23,000, fully loaded. Is that a good price?
  • opr4492opr4492 Member Posts: 7
    err msg, CD will not play or load unless Car turned of and back on.
    Vistion is saying they did have a bad batch of single CD / tape AM/FM radios.
    My dealer just put in new one (took 3 weks to get)
    doing SAME thing.

Vistion is calling my dealer to see if serial# on new radio(and the one they removed) is also from bad batch.
  • mikenokmikenok Member Posts: 1
    I am thinking of purchasing a 2000 LX. I have been reading of the horror stories with the gasket problems in the 3.8 engine. Is there any other problems I should be concerned about.
    your price is excellent, carolf1
  • capicapi Member Posts: 1
    I will be bringing my '96 Windstar (V6-3.8L) in to check the transmission as we just started having problems with it. Only have 48K on the VAN. Is there any recourse as of yet from Ford on this other than the class action suit? I see there is a buyback for the gasket problem but any thing on the tranmission problems?
  • loppetloppet Member Posts: 2
    My '96 Windstar just blew out its transmission after only 53K. Sounds like the 96's may be following in the 95's footsteps. If anybody knows of any class action suits or any Ford acknowledgement of the problem let me know.
  • jay238jay238 Member Posts: 13
    hi, i have a 95 windstar that i bought new and it still runs perfectly. tons of stop and go city driving, lots of idling, and hundreds of highway driving. current mileage is about 165,000 miles and it has been service regularly. i dont see what all the fuss about transmissions going and "oh!! better trade that 95 in quickly!" obviously, not all 95 windstars are like this.
  • sprtsfn1sprtsfn1 Member Posts: 2
    Call me crazy (after reading all the posts I must be) but I am considering purchasing a 1999 Windstar LX. I have researched the well known problems with older ('95-97) Windstars including, but not limited to, head gaskets and transmissions. My question to this forum is "in your opinion, do you think Ford has resolved many of the Windstar issues? Does the 1999 have similar reliability concerns of the older models?

The dealership I am dealing with is a reputable (i think) one in which I know the used car sales manager personally. He said to avoid the '95 & '96 models and that in his opinion, the 1999 with modifications to the engine & transmission has solved most of the problems.

I would appreciate the board's thoughts on the '99 WS.

Thanks
  • bdemasbdemas Member Posts: 51
    sprtsfn1: We had a 99 for 20k miles then traded it towards a 2000 along with a 4k certificate. We had the infamous 95 prior to that, hence the 4k certificate. As far as I could tell in the time we had the 99, Ford had fixed the head gasket and tranny (at least the aluminum piston problem).

I think they have introduced a different set of problems though. The transmission is controlled by a computer that is suppose to learn your driving habits (or so I'm told). We had a concern with ours in that it would do harsh shifting in the lower gears (1st to 2nd and vice versa). They replaced a sensor that helped but didn't get rid of the problem all together. When shifting from park it would periodically bang into reverse (we had this with the 95 as well, they have made it better in the 2000, it feels tighter at least). The engine was noisier then the 95. We found that if you do tight turns at coasting speeds (like trying to manuever into a garage) the engine tends to surge. If your not ready for it it can be a problem. We brought it to the dealer several times to see if they could fix it, no luck, thats normal according to them. We thought when we got the 2000 these issues might be gone, they are not. The gas mileage was horrible, 17 around town, 20 highway (if we were lucky). Don't believe the 500 to 600 miles on a tankful.

On the plus side, the extra slider is nice. If we had to do it over again we would go back to the bench seat in the middle (its tough for 2 kids to stretch out on long trips with buckets).
    "err" msg occurred again after they said my orig unit had the "fix" applied. This is the "second" try by the dealer to get fixed.
    Now Bob Davidson will have to get this resolved for me once and for all. It is NOT the dealers fault, it is the supplier of the radio (VISTION) and whatever local repair facility used by FORD.
  • sdwworthsdwworth Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking to buy a WS 98 gl loaded, with 25,612 miles. Is $15,500 a good buy? Also what are some problems with this year? DW
  • fpdafishfpdafish Member Posts: 20
    I know your problem is with the single CD unit but I just leased a new windstar with the single CD in the dash AND the 6-CD changer. I couldn't get both to work. It says in the manual that when you push the CD, it toggles between the changer and the dash. Mine wouldn't do this. When I brought it to the dealer, the technician let me hang out and watch and explained what he fixed. And he did fix it! We pushed all sorts of buttons and turned the car on and off and it worked. He changed some kind of memory thing. It was a small black box (about the size of a small beeper) with wires going into it and wires coming out of it (sorry for the lack of tech terms!). Like I said, he fixed it. It worked until after I tipped him and started driving home! So I turned around, went back and told him and he ended up changing the CD changer itself. It was a Kenwood 6-CD changer and he changed it to a Panasonic 10-CD changer (Cool! A FREE 2-CD upgrade!). He figured this out by calling Kenwood and explaining the situation and they settled on the fact that the Kenwood just wasn't compatable with the in-dash stereos that Ford was using. Maybe you should have the dealer call the manufacturer of your CD player and make sure everything is compatable, if , of course, you didn't already do this. Anyway, my CD player/changer all work fine now. So does just about everything else in the car. My wife loves the way it drives. My only concern so far is a loud THUNK that we hear sometimes when we shift from Park to Drive. The dealer says it's normal (I don't think ANY THUNKS are normal!) but I guess I'll deal with it if it leads to a problem. Oh, by the way, while I was in the showroom waiting for the tech to change my CD changer, I noticed a bunch of other cars with the in dash CD player and the Kenwood 6-CD changer. I guess the tech was busy for a while after he fixed my car!
    Since I posted this problem in the same posting as a CD problem, I'll repeat myself. I have a 2000 windstar and sometimes when I shift from Park to Drive, I hear a LOUD THUNK! Dealer says this is normal (I doubt it) so I guess I'll just let it go and deal with it if leads to a problem. It's a lease and should be covered by the warranty 'till I turn it in. I'd just like to know if anyone else hears this noise. And believe me, if it happens, you'll hear it!
  • 99win99win Member Posts: 1
    We are in the market for a Winstar LX. We have looked at the Honda Odassey and would love one since we have owned 2 Hondas already, but we are not able to get our hands on one for a few months. Since the Winstar has done just as well on the crash test we thought we would look at them. We found a '99 with 22,000 for $19150. It is an LX with 4 doors, power windows, locks overhead consol with tape/cd and captian chairs. It also has the feature so the kids can listen to there own music..and rear air. Can you tell me if this is a good price.. We have a ford tarus wagon 1991 that we are trading in that has lost a good amount of its paint. It only has 90K miles. My Hondas seem to last longer. So we are a little scared about buying another ford.
    Thanks for the CD info. Yes they did call VISTEON on were told that the CD being shipped (took 3 weeks) did in fact have the "fix" applied.

Then they said they could "fix" my orig unit locally, that did not work either. Waiting to hear from dealer now, who is obviously furious with the radio suppiler at this point...

I have a 2000 SE I purchased and I have not noticed a loud "clunk". I would ask the dealer to let you sit in a new one on the lot, start it, and put it in gear.. Then YOU decide!!! Good luck!
    Sounds like a good price, but, if you like HONDA's better, don't be impatient and wait for one.
    Personally I love my Windstar (this is my 3rd one)
    the ride is unmatched by any other I have been in, but some do not like the "floating" ride, I do.
    Yes, the engine is a bit noisy on acceleration and FORD has had head problems, but that's why they have ext'd warranties for $675 bucks for 5 yr /75000. Can't beat it. Dealers are usually great! And FORD's arbitration process does seem to work (reading some of the posts on this site). Good Luck
    Thanks for responding about the thunk noise. Hope your CD problem gets fixed soon. I also have an SE and it kills me to say this about a minivan but...... ENJOY! ;)
  • bdemasbdemas Member Posts: 51
    fpdafish: My 2000 SE thunks onces in a great while. We had a 99 that thunked considerably more often. The 2000 seems much tighter when shifting from park then the 99.

Someone around here posted a fix a while back. They were told to set the parking brake after shifting to park when they stopped. I didn't notice much difference when I tried this.
    Bob Davidson Ford has spoken to Visteon and they will be sending a brand new unit, not one that has been deployed somewhere else before.

I hope that does it once and for all....
  • cmhdiamondcmhdiamond Member Posts: 11
    I'm having trouble with Ford Motor Credit. I signed a lease agreement with my dealer in Delaware, but live in Maryland. The lease was signed on 7/24, but my dealer contacted me yesterday (8/10) to inform me that FMC is not accepting the contract at the agreed upon interest rate (2.5%) because I live in Maryland, not in Delaware. Has anyone else had similar difficulties? My dealer told me this affects at least 9 others from the same dealer.

My lease agreement looks like a legally binding contract. It was signed by the dealer and by me, so there is no question about it's being legal. There is no wording on the agreement about pending approval by FMC. I've contacted the Better Business Bureau and the local Attorney General's office, but so far have not gotten any resolution to the problem.

Does anyone have any suggestions? If others have the same problem, would a class action suit be in order?
    My advice is to get a lawyer quick.

Let them look at the agreement and if it is enforceable as stated, let him handle it.

I know this may cost you a couple hundred bucks, but the lawyer can probably get that back for the aggrevation being caused to you.

Check it out... let us know..
  • pqschwartzpqschwartz Member Posts: 9
    I have had a 98 Windstar since new in 8/97. Now with 65000 miles. The car rides great, and is roomy, etc. I bought an extended warranty and I think that it has had too many problems even though the repairs have all been covered. The transmission went at 51000 miles. This is a recurring Windstar problem apparently. Also, head gaskets have been known to blow at around 80000. i have been told that this has not shown up in the 98's. i believe that this is "as of yet." our 98 is one of the first that came out and has high mileage for the model year. Our extended warranty is up at 75000 miles, and we are seriously looking at trading it in by then to avoid having a serious engine problem that will be very costly. I think this is absurd since a car should last well over 100000 miles without serious problems. Oh, and by the way, 15500 is a good price, but check it out on edmunds.com or kbb.com.
  • digger9digger9 Member Posts: 2
    Am thinking of purchasing a 99 WS from a rental/
    lease company. Vehicle has 60k on it, they are asking $14,900 for it. Anyone have any commentson this, positive or negative. Thanks!
  • kturner1kturner1 Member Posts: 33
    Our new to us 99 WS clunks when shifting out of park sometimes too (part of the noise is the pesky auto lock feature). We only notice it when parking on a hill and the car rolls after putting it in park. This loads up the mechanism that locks the tranny. All my cars do this to some extent, though the WS does seem clunkier. We set the p-brake before shifting into park and that takes care of it. Anyway, does anyone else think that the tranny selects overdrive too soon? I think the WS often lugs at 1,500 rpm from 45 to 60 mph. To me, this could explain blown headgaskets and tranny failures. I'm planning to use OD only on the hwy over about 60 mph. Otherwise, the WS is my favorite car of all time to drive.
  • dfullertondfullerton Member Posts: 5
    I am considering purchase of a '95 GL with 89K for $7.5k. I am taking it to a mechanic first b4 I agree. Any comments on this minivan vis a vis problems to look for? How does the price sound?

Dreamer
  • mueller6mueller6 Member Posts: 2
    Hi - Im new to this but I have a 95 Windstar GL that has a brand new engine (thanks to Ford) with only 59200 miles on it. I'd be willing to maybe sell it for $7000. Clean, garage kept, no rust, have 2 kids & thinking about purchasing a newer year windstar or moving up to a conversion van. We pull a Jayco pop-up camper with it. Let me know if interested.
  • mueller6mueller6 Member Posts: 2
    Looking for anyone with some insight on the trans problems with the 95 windstars. Haven't had any yet but the engine just gave out on our vacation & luckily enough it is still under our ext. warranty & ford put a new one in. I still have a concern though about whether or not Ford actually fixed the problem or is it going to happen to me again with the new one. Anyone out there know the answer to this question? Exactly what kind of transmission problems are people having with this vehicle as we pull a pop-up camper with it. please respond - seriously thinking about trading it in for anything else!
  • haulthault Member Posts: 130
    After all the experience I've had with my 95 Windstar I would suggest trading it in prior to warranty expiring. E-MAIL me for additional info. You probably got a rebuilt engine. I was offered one also.
  • arrakeenarrakeen Member Posts: 3
    Have had the same problem with my 99 LX. It seems to be always there, just milder on level pavement. When I leave my garage it still "clunks" into gear. I usually always set the parking brake, but I shouldn't have to do that. In reference to OD, the gearing between D and OD seems to be a much larger gap than it should be. You're either revving high in D or too low of RPMs in OD. It's really evident at highway speeds. My wife loves the van with the exception of the doors; that creak when opening and closing. Dealer says they know about it and recommend lube until a fix comes out??
    Has anyone had a problem with their rear side doors creaking? The dealer has acknowledged and their only solution so far is to keep lubing the upper hinges. It's both annoying and poor craftsmanship as far as I'm concerned. Been going on since delivery and now it's at 18K.
    Thanks for any help to fix this problem.
    I have a 99 WS LX with 18K on it. To synopsize it rides great, handles competently, and tows well, but that's where it stops. The quad seats are hard to remove. The engine is a lot noisier than it should be (it almost sounds like it's sitting right next to you). The transmission doesn't shift as smoothly as the imports. I had a problem with a sensor that Ford couldn't diagnose till the 5th time it went in for service and the rear sliding doors creak when opening and closing.

It's better than what Chrysler and GM have to offer, but no where near in the same playing field as Honda and Toyota. If I had to do it again and I may well be I'd buy one of those. I'd wait till the mad rush subsides and opt for the Odessey or Sienna.
    JC
  • jboaterjboater Member Posts: 199
    You likely do have a legally binding contract.
    Suggestions:
    Keep a well documented file containing dates, names, and subject matter, of everything that transpires.
    Require that Ford Motor Credit make its demands directly with you and in writing.
    Confirm with your legal counsel that your contract is a binding contract on all parties.
    Notwithstanding legal advise to the contrary, do nothing but make your lease payments on time.
    Another option, if your not too crazy with the vehicle you leased, offer to return it in exchange for "written" full satisfaction of the lease agreement.
    Contract renegotiation in consumer lending is a very rare occasion. Imagine what Ford Credit's reaction would be to your request to "renegotiate" the terms of your lease or loan.
    "I just took a 10% pay cut and would like you to cut my payment by 10%"
    Finally, was the interest rate an important part of the transaction? Would you have done something differently if the rate had been 9.9%?
    Good luck!

Jerry
  • sam121sam121 Member Posts: 10
    just bought a ford winstar lx 2000 for 23,700 including 1000 rebate. the car has bucket seats, brake pedal adjustment, and some other features. i did get it 500 below invoice. good deal?
  • sprtsfn1sprtsfn1 Member Posts: 2
    After posting previously and researching minivans to the nth degree, I took the leap. I found a 1999 Windstar LX at a local reputable dealer in which my relative (not immediate family) is the sales manager. The van was driven by a gentleman who previously owned the dealership and still owns the building where the dealer is located. We spoke with the man (whom my family knows) and he indicated he didn't have any problems with the vehicle.

The van had 24,300 miles on it and has buckets for the second row seating, PW, PDL, alloys, cruise, tilt, cloth seats, privacy glass, lugg. rack, etc. I was able to pick it up for $17000 and before someone asks, YES, I extended the warranty to 100K miles. I considered this a pretty good price given edmunds lists the retail value at $18,500. What do you all think? Thanks
  • cmhdiamondcmhdiamond Member Posts: 11
    I finally got it settled, although I didn't get the original deal. The dealer made me two offers. First, they offered to take the van back and give me back my trade and downpayment. I didn't like that idea, but it was a consideration.

The second offer was to reduce the price of the van and re-write the contract. This option would still cost me more in the long run, but only about $200.00 over the life of the loan. I figured it would probably cost more in legal fees and other hassles and annoyance.

On the recommendation of my lawyer and the Better Business Bureau,I accepted the offer. However, the BBB has launched an official investigation and may very likely revoke the dealership's membership as a result of the many complaints they have heard from the dealer.

So if anyone is considering buying a car from Chapman Ford in Wilmington, DE, you should think twice and be sure they get the numbers right before you sign anything.

By the way, assuming that the Edmunds holdback percentage is correct, I figure the price I paid is actually about $800.00 below the true dealer cost (after holdback). And given the condition of my trade-in, I don't think they will make that up when they sell it.
  • chays5558chays5558 Member Posts: 1
    We are currently looking at the 2000 SEL, anyone out there think we are making a mistake or a good decision if we decide to buy. I would appreciate any input.
  • dennyh1dennyh1 Member Posts: 1
    I'm considering the purchase of a 2000 Ford Windstar, and although I've heard nothing but excellent reviews for safety, I've heard the exact opposite (historically) regarding reliability. Also, negative things heard regarding customer service.
    Someone prove me wrong. Thanks for your input!