Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Older Acura TLs

Comments

• bcj2bcj2 Member Posts: 17
    Today, I became victim of the infamous trans probs. My '00 TL w/ Nav (80k miles) had its transmission fail. It started slipping between 2nd + 3rd. As I was explaining the prob on my cell to the dealer, the car completely died (would not move + engine failed) while on a 6 lane major road. It was towed to the dealer where it will be covered under warranty. I was given an '03 TL as a loaner. All-in-all, my TL is still a good car, however.
  • daysailerdaysailer Member Posts: 720
    I'm discouraged to see Acura begin to embrace the "edgy" design idiom that afflicts the Cadillac CTS and others! I'm eager for a return to graceful designs with continuity if line.
  • mariner7mariner7 Member Posts: 509
    New TL has the crease line running along the door handles all around the car body. Nice touch, giving the car strong visual cue. If I'm not mistaken, that's a signature of Alfa Romeo. Isn't it?

Of course most NA public wouldn't know of the connection. And since TL won't be sold in Europe, most Europeans wouldn't know either.
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    The thing I like the most is that they left off that crease in the middle of the front bumper. On the MDX, it looks like the bow of a ship. The three facet bumper on this concept looks a little blunt, but it's a big improvement IMHO.
  • baoolbaool Member Posts: 1
    go to motortrend.com adn look at the New York Auto Show and they have a photo I think on the 3rd or 4th page
  • jaquinojaquino Member Posts: 90
    Here are more pics of the Acura TL concept:

http://hondanews.com/forms/acura/TL/index_images.html?kw=currenta- cura

I like it! I agree with another poster, It does look like a "supersized" TSX. But I like the look of the TSX, so this looks pretty good to me.
  • acuriousacurious Member Posts: 9
    Anyone know when the 2004 TL will be released?
  • carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    Honda/Acura has always been knocked for bland styling. American Car Fans hated Honda's styling because they claimed it was too bland so Honda is trying to get that audience. As Accord sales indicate Honda can still sell alot of these un-Honda styled cars of late. In my opinion Nissan/Infinti started the whole "edgy design thing" with the release of the 02 Altima a couple years ago. So you can blame Nissan for the whole trend. As far as designs returning to the contemparary 90's trnds you can forget about that for awhile: the agressive "sporty look" is in. Even BMW is getting out of the contemparary stuff they had done in the 80's and 90's with the Z4 and 7 Series. Toyota also with the Corolla is getting into the agressive styling stuff. Mazda has turned the corner too. Honda has to do something to counter it. BMW saw what Nissan and VW were doing and decided they couldn't sit on their "timeless styling theme".
  • s852s852 Member Posts: 1,051
    I'm sure it will have regular side view mirrors and likely normal windshield wipers instead of the cameras and air blowers on the concept version.
    Of course, it will have the updated navigation system like the TSX and new Accord.
    The DVD audio system should be a great improvement since the current Bose system is weak.
    Hopefully, the interior will be greatly upgraded with real polished wood from an actual tree and no more fake plood simulated wood-toned plastic.
    $30K+ cars should not have fake wood trim!
  • akal50akal50 Member Posts: 112
    If they're going to raise the price of the TL, which the dealer says they are, then it better be because they're using higher quality materials. The wood accents should be like the ones you find in Lexus or BMW.

I think it's a safe bet that the production model will have side mirrors and traditional windshield wipers. There's no way the government would let people drive without those. I think Acura just wanted to show how technically advanced it can be. The Lexus RX330 has the rear view camera but they still have normal mirrors.
    I agree that Acura had to add more style to their car. The 03 TL looks classy, but dull. Acura is supposed to be about performance and the body style has to reflect that. The downside is that the car will look dated in 5 years.
    I think the '04 might have traditional wipers, but I think the air blowers could be possible in the future even if they don't have them this time.
    People might say, "Well, what if the blower fails?"
    Well, what if the windshield wiper motor fails? It's the same thing.
    All they need to do is make the air blower system at least as reliable as a windshield wiper motor. That's not an impossible feat.
    The blower thing sounds like a good idea, less maintenance (no more wiper blades to replace every year). However, the trick is to make sure the thing blows hot air in the winter time. Probably have like a "hot setting" for the blower/wiper.
  • bklynguybklynguy Member Posts: 275
    I saw the 2004 TL Concept today at the New York Auto Show. I think it looks good. I can confirm the October release, DVD-Audio system.

I wanted to take some pictures but had a problem with my flash card ( word of advice : check your camera / camcorder before leaving the house and take a second flash card for your digital camera ). I was able to take some video of the TL with my camcorder so not all was lost.
    I saw the 2004 TL Concept today at the New York Auto Show. I think it looks good. I can confirm the October release, DVD-Audio system.
  • mxpro738mxpro738 Member Posts: 59
    If Acura/Honda were to take this design straight to the production line, keep the Type-S motor, and give it a manual tranny, I'd change my mind about my upcoming BMW purchase.

I hope they're listening in Japan! :)
  • tb9tb9 Member Posts: 1
    Looks nice but I hope they do something about the rear end! Too boxy - looks like a Ford Focus!
    The rear end actually looks like the front of a Cadillac CTS, except without the ugly grill.
  • bobby067bobby067 Member Posts: 1
    I saw the concept body for the 04 TL it is awesome. They didn't have the interior but I was told that photos will be available in August and it will be out in OCT. The type S is 280hp it will also have a camera in the back. It is a major change for the TL. Great looking car.
  • bjvjsbjvjs Member Posts: 27
    Has anyone heard any rumors regarding the pricing on the 2004 TL. I currently own a 2000 TL and need to add another car. The TSX is a possibility but I found the engine to be lacking. I am also considering a 2003 G35 sedan. I do not know if I can wait until October. I am sure the new TL will be selling at or near sticker for at least six months.
  • carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    I can't picture that. The TL is a volume seller. The TL has to compete with the 3 Series and Audi A4 and those cars are on lots right now stacking up. Going for sticker on the TL would not be a smart move on Honda's part.
  • hunter001hunter001 Member Posts: 851
    I don't think "Honda" would be going for sticker....but the dealers might !!

Later...AH
    Of course they are going to try to sell them for sticker when they first come out. The CL and TL sold for sticker when they were new in 1999.
    If the MSRP is good, it won't be that hard to sell for sticker. If they are overpriced, then they will have to discount them. (whats the difference between selling at full MSRP with no discounting at $32K or having a $35K sticker marked down to $32K? It's the same money.)
    If they try to sell them for sticker, you will have to decide if you could find something you prefer for the same amount of money or less elsewhere. If so, just buy that instead.
  • daysailerdaysailer Member Posts: 720
    not the manufacturer or the dealer. Of course the dealer will charge as much as you will pay, he'd be a fool not to.
    I saw the concept body for the 04 TL it is awesome. They didn't have the interior but I was told that photos will be available in August and it will be out in OCT. The type S is 280hp it will also have a camera in the back. It is a major change for the TL. Great looking car.

Are you sure about that? I've been told by several dealers that there are no plans for a Type-S for 2004. The talk is that the new TL is already sporty enough.
  • shalanshalan Member Posts: 1
    I recently hit a pot hole hard on the interstate and had a big golf ball size bubble. When I was replacing the tires I found out that my 16" rim was damaged. Does anyone know where I can get one cheap. The Dealer is charging around $300.00 for it.
  • CrevelsCrevels Member Posts: 37
    I would recommend trying ebay for starters. You can often find Acura rims out there, and at a much better price than what the dealer will charge.
  • otis123otis123 Member Posts: 439
    Very few cars are selling near msrp at this time. Prices are at all-time lows - especially used cars... Great time to buy a car!
  • dulnevdulnev Member Posts: 652
    Shalan, please e-mail me at jdulnev@att.net about the rim.
    You can find used re-finished rims at www.aaarims.com. These are very reasonably priced.

Later...AH
  • lmp180psulmp180psu Member Posts: 399
    I like the look of the rear end (very clean, and classy and sporty at the same time). The TL rear looks a lot better than the TSX rear, which has a slight Kia Optima resemblance to it ( the rest of the design is very nice though).
    I think the rear of the 04 TL looks like the rear of an Audi.

From Reuters, May-06-2003

"J.D. Power said consumers may may want to reconsider the maxim that one should never buy a new car in its first year. An analysis showed that many new models or vehicles which had major redesigns scored higher initial quality marks than the models they replaced."

I always thought you should wait for the 2nd year of any new model, but sometimes that wait may not make a big difference with only minor improvements if any.

I may not be able to wait until the end of 2004 for my new TL. The new TL is based on the new Accord platform so I'm sure Honda has learned about a few things to improve.
    From Reuters, May-06-2003

"J.D. Power said consumers may may want to reconsider the maxim that one should never buy a new car in its first year. An analysis showed that many new models or vehicles which had major redesigns scored higher initial quality marks than the models they replaced."

I always thought you should wait for the 2nd year of any new model, but sometimes that wait may not make a big difference with only minor improvements if any.

I may not be able to wait until the end of 2004 for my new TL. The new TL is based on the new Accord platform so I'm sure Honda has learned about a few things to improve.
    Even if there are no major mechanical problems in the first year, there is usually better selection and better pricing in the second year.
    Usually there is some minor problem corrected, a new standard feature or available colors.
    When the 1998 Accord came out, they had cloth seats with vertical pleats that made it look like a Pontiac. They got rid of that in the first year. The 2000 Civic suspension was tweaked the second year after ride complaints. Neither car had reliability problems, but it was still good to wait.
  • stlgasmanstlgasman Member Posts: 141
    Someone told me that the S won't be offered till the 'O5 model year. Any confirms?
  • robertsmxrobertsmx Member Posts: 5,525
    While I can't confirm but typical Honda/Acura practice dictates that Type-S could arrive a few months later.
  • hondaluvhondaluv Member Posts: 4
    I got very excited looking at the price of a TL-S. I am monitoring this board for a while, looking to buy a TL-S. I called the area dealers
    and they all are saying it is a mistake. They say they have some deals going on CL & RL but not TL
    So now I putting my plans on hold for a while till this thing is sorted out :)

Now I am totally confused! But $26200 for a TL-S
    man - o -man...
    I was told by a salesman that it is going to cost $10k more than the outgoing model ... ouch!

Suddenly the 2003 TL-S at 31k seems like a steal.
  • scott31scott31 Member Posts: 292
    $4k dealer cash on the TL. Jeez. Almost makes me want to buy another one.
  • jdone1jdone1 Member Posts: 22
    It has been my experience over the last 30+ years that everything a car salesperson says is a lie except hello.He has no idea whatsoever what a new '04 TL is going to cost.He simply wants you to buy now.
    Good point jdone1 hehehe. I was quite quite surprised when he said $10k more, sheesh that puts the price into BMW territory.

I'll wait until Acura announces the actual price.
  • richard52richard52 Member Posts: 41
    There's no way the 04tl will be $10000 more than the current model. Acura has gained market share and sales by making the tl a "bang for the buck" car. A $10000 price increase would indicate a major change in their marketing strategy which I don't think is in the cards.
    The new TL will have new features, so it will cost more and will probably sell for around MSRP for some time (so the the price difference between buying a 2003 and a 2004 TL will be greater than just the difference in MSRP.
    However, Acura has not announced prices and I don't think they made an exception by giving the salesman at your local Acura dealer advance pricing information.
    That salesman just made up that price so you won't wait to find out what the real price will be.
  • fredvhfredvh Member Posts: 857
    Is there no truth to the $4000 dealer cash then? Where did this rumor start?
  • clpurnellclpurnell Member Posts: 1,083
    I think they put the RL incentive in the wrong place.
  • chrisjoochrisjoo Member Posts: 27
    My parents' Acura TL has some scratches. I would like to get some touch up. I think I saw a website that carries Acura paint, but I can't find them anymore. I don't want to go to dealer cause they will probably rip me off. Any suggestions?
    Good question. I would like to know about that too, for my 2000 TL. But it may not be firmware/software alone...there may be issues with faster processors etc too. The later versions might have faster processors when compared to the earlier versions.

Later...AH
  • heymistaheymista Member Posts: 22
    I have been battling this noise associated with the A/C idle cable for the entire 2 years I have owned my 2002 TLS. It took a full year to even locate the origin of the noise and after replacing several parts, it was the this A/C idle cable. Now the same noise is back. Has anyone else experienced this squeaking noise? After I start my car and put in gear, there is a whisteling squeak as I idle away. It is intermittent so it was hard to duplicate at first for the dealer.
  • jeppingjepping Member Posts: 30
    I have the whistle noise from the A/C as well. After several trips to the dealer and getting the regional manager involved I was told that the noise is "normal" characteristics of the car! The whistling is still there and it's very annoying.
  • hsookdeohsookdeo Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know if the new TL has dual-zone climate control like the TSX and the 2003 Accord EX?