Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Older Acura TLs

Comments

• bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    The "base" TL will come pretty loaded I would expect. So equipment-wise what would they add for a Type-S? And in terms of power, how much more can you add to a FWD drivetrain?

Acura would be much better off to load up on an all-new RL with AWD, 325+ HP, and all the electronic gizmo they can think of.
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    Bodble2 - I agree. As long as the suspension and weight are okay, the base TL should provide all the sport that is needed. The fact that Acura is offering the HPT package hints that the car is well-suited for performance (within reason). We shall see...
  • ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    270HP is nice but does anyone know whether it will still lag in torque department?
  • pwjone1pwjone1 Member Posts: 8
    It does seem like the TL and Accord are somewhat similar, but kind of eye-balling the roof line, it kind of looks to me like the TL roof is maybe a tad lower in the back. I might be wrong, hard to tell for sure, but if it is lower that might cut down on head room. The older TL had less back seat room (and maybe a tad more front seat leg room) than the equivalent Accord. The current Accord, which the TL is based on, probably has the minimum back seat room I'd be willing to put up with (out of curtesy to those that have to sit in the back - I hate driving with the front seat forward to give enough room to those in the back). So if the new TL has less room than the Accord again, that could be a problem.
  • victord1victord1 Member Posts: 94
    ruski- my thought was exactly the same. Personally, I was hoping that Acura would increase the engine from the current 3.2L to 3.5L like those on the Max. Then, again that might interfere with the 3.5RL.
  • leomaccord1leomaccord1 Member Posts: 21
    I was kind of disappointed that the rumors of AWD were not true. With the G35 getting AWD and Acura seeming to take aim at Audi with the styling and interiors, I would have thought they would have AWD for their TL. Maybe they're waiting until the release of the RL with rumored IMA AWD to trickle the technology down to the TL? Still, can't wait to drive the 04!

Question: Any of you here drive the CL-S 6-spd? I never got a chance to so I was interested in some feedback on the combination. I assume the same setup will be "re-tuned" for the new TL?
  • s852s852 Member Posts: 1,051
    Is just a rumour and wishful thinking posted so often that people started assuming it was true.
    How do people get disappointed when Acura never made any comments or announcements indicating that the TL would have AWD in the first year or ever?
  • ash213ash213 Member Posts: 40
    Just spoke to a rep from Acura, he informed that they are not extending the warranty on any new TL's any more because problem has been fixed.
  • cjs2002cjs2002 Member Posts: 341
    I'm in the market to purchase a new car, and I had pretty much cut down my choices to two cars... the G35 and the C230 sedan... yet one day I decided to go look and drive an TL base with navigation... and I found it intreaging that you could get so much eguipment standard... I don't know if the TL has worked its way in as a serious thought contendor but I figured I would ask ya'll how ya'll have enjoyed your own TL and ask if youve had any problems and what its like to drive... I'd really appriciate the help I'm buyin a car at the end of this month.. and so far I think its gonna be the G35 less I'm swayed by outside forces to the Mercedes or even the TL I don't know I'd like to hear ya'lls thoughts and or opinions.. thankx
  • midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Member Posts: 1,978
    Thought about buying a CL 6-spped within the last month. Some peoeple have complained about the first to second shift grind but i noticed none. I got to go fro a fairly extnesive test ride by myself. The shift is smooth and precise. Could use a little more tire especailly in first and second. If the TL is anything like it it will be awesome.

The CL was looking old compared to the TSX and the new TL and this car had about 130 miles on it , probably like the ones I put on it. Actually there were two six sppeds a black with tan and a silver with black. I really wanted a black with black with Nav ; no 6-speed navs to be found ( an the new nave is so much better).
  • jeromeairsys1jeromeairsys1 Member Posts: 1
    In looking for some data on the forthcoming 2004 TL sedan I found it quite amusing to review the discussions of various Acura fans regarding the normal design TL car with the 225 hp engine being "enough" or "more than adequate" which of course it is indeed, however it is clear that none of these well meaning folks have had one to one on hand experience with both vehicles, instead most probably they are driving the 3.2 TL car with the normal engine.

In January 2001 we purchased TWO of these vehicles. The TL 4 door sedan in 2001 was available ONLY with the 225 hp engine,and that is what we bought, but the CL coupe had the S engine option and we bought a type S car here. Both cars are 5 speed automatic cars with no options other than trunk mat and mud guards, everything else being standard. The S car came with memory seats and an in dash 6 disc CD changer(which should have been standard and now is on the TL beginning with the 2002 model year) and 17 inch tires 215 x 50 aspect ratio tires as opposed to the 205 x 60 aspect ration 16 inch tires on the TL. The engines are the other difference.

Now with 39K miles on the TL we love the car totally except for the missing memory seats and the CD changer. The ride is excellent although clearly weighted towards the stiff side of the handling spectrum as opposed to the softer riding Lexus vehicles and the engine is quite smooth and has adequate if not excellent power across the entire power band. We love it. The car replaced a 1998 RL Special Edition which was a bit too large and soft riding a car for us. The TL is a better fit for our needs.

But we must tell you that the S car is just SO MUCH MORE a road vehicle that the comparison is not even close. That engine is just so much fun to tip into every so often that it just makes the CL-S car even more pleasant to drive. So a TL with the S engine would be the best of both worlds, not so? We would be buying one in January 2004 if it were not being replaced by the new TL car which should be even more a road car from what we are seeing....more power, bigger brakes, all the good stuff standard and not optional as one finds in the Infiniti G35 cars.

Make no mistake about it, the TL is a fine car and an excellent investment, but the S car is the one to buy whether you have four or two doors in mind.

Problems, yes of course. I knew the transmission was in some difficulty at 12K miles when I changed the fluid (which was looking grey in color and not pink as anticipated) and found lots of grey sludge adhering to the magnetic plug. I took a sample and presented it to Acura service and was told "perfectly normal"....right! I continued to change fluid at 12K intervals and remove less material from the plug but was not comfortable with the trans. At 35920 miles last week the S car ate the transmission as we anticipated it would be doing according to the Acura letter we received a year ago advising of some extra ordinary transmission problems before we had them. The car now has a totally new transmission and trans computer (plus a new engine fuel pressure regulator....why that item was changed I can not imagine) and they even furnished a new dip stick for the trans! The car is like new and the 2-3 shift is more firm than it ever was. Our TL with more miles is not showing any transmission difficulties.

Tires were a bit of a disappointment as the 50 series tires are very short in static loaded radius and therefore transmit a bit more road "feel" to the seat of your pants. And I blew one tire in a small pothole after a snow storm that should have not been a problem. I was travelling slowly and the pothole was not deep, but apparently I hit it just right to rip open the side wall of the tire. I would prefer to have 225 x 60 16 inch tires on this car and not the 50 series but I also see that in 2001 when this car was new 215 x50 17 tires were RARE and now they are showing up on all sorts of sport sedans and coupes do I guess the 50 series is here to stay.

The S car replaced a 95 Mitsubishi 3000 GT car and is more car in every way. We used to purchase Legend 2 door coupes with the more powerful engine and frankly the CL-S car is everything the old (1993 and 1995 models) Legend Coupe was for us.....at 10,000.00 dollars less money. That is surely a winner.

So friends, if you are in the market for a TL or CL before they go away in October 2003, go for the S version. It is truly worth every penny more.

Fuel mileage is 1 mpg LOWER in the S car than the normal TL (perhaps because of the tendancy to enjoy the engine a bit) but they are both OVER 30 MPG at constant 70 mph (1900 engine rpm in gear 5) and around town in mixed driving we get 24 MPG on the TL and 23 on the S car. We surely can live with that.
  • waltercatwaltercat Member Posts: 10
    I think you're looking at some very nice cars. I think that for a given level of equipment, the TL will cost you a lot less. Personally, I chose the TL in part to get front wheel drive, as I do a lot of bad-weather driving in the NY City area - the other cars you're looking at are rear-drivers. As far as problems - I had to replace the catalytic converter at 95,000 miles; everything else was warranty, and not much of that! Factory tires lasted 61,000 miles; brake pads were replaced at 80,000 and battery at 85,000. Other than that, all it's gotten is fluid changes. It goes in for a timing belt and plugs at 105,000, which should be in September.

Short story - I've never owned a more reliable car. It's a great highway cruiser and has been exceptionally cheap to own and run. If you like 3-series BMWs, for example, you'll find that it isn't a great-handling car... but for luxury on the cheap, with safety and long life, I think it's among the best. I'd own another in a minute.
  • scott31scott31 Member Posts: 292
    on several points.

The S model does pump things up a bit. I have a TL-S and when I get a TL loaner, there are so many differences. I'm glad I spent the extra $2k on the S.

I also had a '95 Legend LS Coupe 6-speed. LOVED that car.
  • foryouryuforyouryu Member Posts: 1
    Does it have MD(mini disc)player?
    I wish MD(mini disc)player in tl.
  • justaguy3justaguy3 Member Posts: 5
    I have read all of the comments about the new TL (I currently have a 1999 TL). If you want AWD, more HP (300), and a luxurious yet sporty interior and exterior... why don't you look at the new Volvo S60R. This is not your father's Volvo. I have ordered one and can't wait. I love my TL but the S60R really got my adrenaline pumping.
    I agree with you about the R, what an awesome machine! My girlfriend and I flew from Boston to Detroit in February to go to NAIAS just to see the R's (well that and the Aston Martin display which was not in Boston :( I have always loved the look of the S60, and the R with AWD and 300hp routed through a manual ought to rock!

Downside: 45 grand to start, I've seen them on the lots for 50K. THe TL should be around 32-35K, also would like to keep my next vehicle for about 7-10 years and Volvo's reliability is still a bit sketchy IMO. Also if I were to go the R route, I would go with the V70 merely for the utility that comes along with the excitment.

Just curious, How do you sum up the reliability of your 99 TL? Has it been good to you?
  • ash213ash213 Member Posts: 40
    What are the other differences between TL and TL-S, please?
    I feel that too. I always though that it was the tranny (like a tooth missing on a gear - joke). But it feels like the power delivery is pulsing (I was thingking of it in terms of grabbing before)
    but I did not find the pulsing that much of a concern compared to my broken tranny and the hickups that both the old and new trannies produce(d) on a daily basis.
    and did your Acura rep tell you what was wrong with the trannies and how they fixed them?

Oh, I think I know how they fixed them. With every new (refurbished) tranny replacement they started including a new Power Control Module that somewhat reduces the engine's power. What a great idea.
  • mickedmicked Member Posts: 32
    If there are "spy" photos, then there is a TL around somewhere. Why is it no one knows the specs on it if it really exists? Does anyone know when it is due to be on the dealers lots?

Eddie G
  • justaguy3justaguy3 Member Posts: 5
    You're right about the R and its price, but you get what you pay for. I love my '99 TL. 50K miles and not one problem, not even a minor one. With the new TLs coming out, trade-in values will be severely compromised. Probably have to sell it myself. I think I'll be lucky to $14-15K even though its in great (not perfect - a few dings and scratches) condition. My R arrives in September. I splurged for all of the extras. I got to test drive one in July and the thing just leaps off the pavement.
  • scott31scott31 Member Posts: 292
    Aside from the engine, the other major difference is in the traction control systems. The TL has what I call cheap traction control. If a wheel slips, it brakes that wheel. So, basically the engine and the braking system are at war.

The TL-S also retards the engine when a wheel slips. Plus, the TL-S adds stability control to the mix.

In a nutshell, the differences are:

more HP
    17" Tires (vs 16)
    stiffer suspension
    different seats
    different gauges
    VSA vs TCS

If you go to www.acura.com they mention the S type extras in more detail.
  • swsmsswsms Member Posts: 62
    There is still hope for AWD in the TL, just maybe not for '04. We may have to wait until '06 after the '05 RL is launched next April which will have AWD and about 300 hp. With the RL trying to get back into the luxury sedan game, Acura would be shooting themselves in the foot by offering AWD now for the '04 TL. Who knows! AWD may only be a feature on a future TL Type-S model...we'll see.

In addition, the TL isn't force to have AWD because it is already a 4-season vehicle. Currently the G35 can't claim that which maybe affecting its sales in the Northern areas of the US. AWD would definitely help G35 sales in those areas.

In the end, the TL will still be a more polished, refined sports sedan than the G35 even with AWD.
  • gaurav2gaurav2 Member Posts: 5
    i went to my local acura dealer and he said it would be out in november. he also said it would be in the range of $40,000 - $43,000 (canadian prices) THATS MY CAR
    See post#267 for events in relation to the '04 TL.
    That's awesome. The R is a really nice machine. Leave it to Volvo to break from the mold and introduce a serious sports Sedan. And at only 7500 available, you probably have little chance of seeing another at a stop light like a 3'er or a TL. Good luck with your purchase!
  • mredaamredaa Member Posts: 3
    After seeing the in/out pictures from TeamTSX site, I was surprised at how much the '04 TL looks like the new Accord both in and out. Specs we don't know so will have to wait. Everything else is speculation. Before buying my '03 TL-S (which I absolutely love!) I looked at the Accord V6 EX. It was tempting because of all the new features that met and even surpassed those on my TL including the heated seats, auto up/down window, etc. But then they added the aluminum trim, luminescent instruments (like the Lexus), voice activated navi, telescoping steering wheel, additional controls on the steering wheel, dual zone climate control, blue ambient lighting, 5-point rear suspension, etc. That, and about $4,000 lower price made it a hard choice until I drove it. The Accord was soft and mushy, and the handling didn't come close to the TL. While the '03 TL's styling might be considered sedate by today's standards, frankly, the Accord is downright ugly. But while the '04 TL definitely has similar lines, they fixed all that was wrong with the accord and made it absolutely gorgeous! Let's just hope Honda didn't soften the suspension like they did on the '03 Accord to appeal to the "mature" market.
    Were you able to get any info from your dealer as to whether or not Navi will be offered on the new TL?
    My dealer did not know too many specs but he said it would probably have navi as a feature
    do u think acura will have the dvd sound system and the other cool gadgets standard and not optional
    which do you think would be a better buy the g35 sedan fully loaded or the 2004 TL
    The G35 fully loaded is up around, what, $46 - 48K CAD? The TL would likely be at least $3K less. It will have more power, better interior, and IMO, just looks better inside and out. Plus it's FWD which is an advantage for us here up in the Great White North.

Personally, I'm actually trying to decide between the TL and the Lexus RX330. I know it's kind of odd to cross-shop these 2, but I wanted something with AWD. That's why I'm kind of disappointed the TL would not be offered with AWD. BUT, if the TL has Navi, that may be enough to sway me since I can't really afford an RX with Navi.
    my cousin has just bought a rx 330 and it is not worth ur while. when ur spending so much money there are better choices on the market
    I'd go for a FX35 or FX45 instead

I actually am leasing an RX300 now. I like how well it is built - nothing rattles. But it has a mushy ride.
  • stlgasmanstlgasman Member Posts: 141
    I am thinking of a new TL. Can't decide between white diamond pearl and desert mist. It doesn't seem desert mist is too popular. I have heard wdp is difficult to repair. Any advice? Any strong feelings? For those WDP owner's - how is the upkeep?
    How do you mean? Does your cousin find certain aspects of the car not as good as touted? I'd be interested in what your cousin finds disappointing about the RX. I've also considered the value factor. I looked at other choices such as the Volvo XC, BMW X5 3.0, ML350, Acura MDX, Toyota 4Runner. And the RX appears to have them all beat on value maybe except for the MDX but I found the MDX too soccer-mom-ish, and too bulky
    The RX330 is supposed to be much improved over the 300 in terms of ride and handling though, is it not. The FX35/45 are actually priced slightly higher than the RX. The FX certainly has a leg up on the RX in terms of raw performance, but I think the RX is a better well-rounded vehicle.
  • talon95talon95 Member Posts: 1,110
    The recent test by Motor Trend showed that ride is great, but they were very disappointed with the handling. They found it to have numb steering, lots of body roll and pitch during cornering, and they said that it exhibited pronounced understeer.
    We must have run out of '04 TL info to share....when are those specs coming?!? :->
  • billyperksbillyperks Member Posts: 449
    The upkeep is the easy part, repairs will take you to the bank and then some.

Just pray you don't get into any accidents with a Pearl color car.The paint is a three stage process and body shops hate repairing this color.

Secondly, if you do have an accident, you need to find the right Body Shop.The color is very difficult to match and if not match properly you are going to end up with two different shades of white.

I am not discouraging you from getting the WDP, my previous Millenia was that color and so is my current TLS.

Just don't get into any accidents or any major scrathes ie- keying.
  • mishima8105mishima8105 Member Posts: 43
    Hey! The new Accords aren't ugly. Reserve UGLY for the new Nissan Maximas. That is a grotesque-looking car. Someone said they saw and even liked a black, new, re-designed Maxima w/ chrome wheels. Black gives even the ugliest car something to look at--people like looking at their reflection in the black paint instead of the car itself.
  • varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    Bodble - I tend to agree. If you like the feel of a sedan (like the TL), then the RX330 is going to feel mushy. The MDX would be better, but it is a bigger vehicle.

Mishima - The back of the Accord is not pretty, but I think the rest looks great.

I do see a few architectural similarities between the Accord and new TL. But the sheetmetal on the TL is both more traditional in some places and more bold in others. They each have a unique style.
  • talon95talon95 Member Posts: 1,110
    You've hit the nail on the head with the Maxima. I think breathtakingly ugly is the most appropriate description.

I understand that the Maxima gained about 200 lbs. from the 2003 to the 2004 model. That illustrates the efficiency of Nissan's design, that they could pack in what looks to be 1000 lbs. worth of additional ugly and keep the weight increase to only 200 lbs. ;)
    varmint: I suppose I should get off my rear end and go test drive an RX to judge once and for all whether I can live with it. We did have a '97 CR-V for 5 years so I can't imagine the RX being any more mushy or lethargic than that! I like a lot of things about the RX -- tidy size, lots of gadgets, Lexus quality, but then the TL comes out with almost everything (except for AWD) on my wish list .....what to do?!
  • brianatcalbrianatcal Member Posts: 9
    I'm very interested in getting the TL when it comes out. My question is, what kind of $$$ penalty am I to really expect? When the new model is available, any guesses at how much over MSRP one will be expected to pay?

Do you think there will be a 3-4 month waiting list like there was for the MDX during its first year on the market?

-Brian
  • fdefulviofdefulvio Member Posts: 47
    I'm hoping that the TL, being a higher volume vehicle, won't be marked up, or at least not for long. Once dealers get 30 or 40 cars on the lot with incoming inventory, they will want to move them. That will probably take several months. My local Acura dealer has over 70 2003 TLs in inventory. The Honda dealer has over 200 Accords.

When the dealer has only a dozen MDXs and knows they won't get replaced soon, they are willing to let customers walk and wait for the next guy who is willing to pay MSRP or higher.

I'm ready to buy something now, but there is NO way that I will pay MSRP or higher. I'll just have to wait. Otherwise, I'll have to settle for a TSX or Accord ES-V6.

Frank D.
  • mishima8105mishima8105 Member Posts: 43
    Does anyone have any opinions on the made-in-Germany Passat? Seems like Japanese automakers have imitated the shape of the VW Passat/Audis a bit. What do you think?

As for the images of the new '04 TL, it sort of reminds me of the BMW 3 Series at certain angles. Both look nice.
  • sailoverfuelsailoverfuel Member Posts: 82
    I am aware that you are in canada and prices may be different but I suspect you may not be accurate with the price comparison of G35 vs TL 04'

In New York area you can get a G35 with Nav, leather, and loaded with goodies for under 33K. Mind you, they are selling near INVOICE. The New TL is expected to START in the Low 30's and go upwards to 40 (maybe) So aples to aples a new TL with Nav, leather and goodies will most likely be more expensive than a G35...and by the way the G35 is not too shaby.

So in my opinion you are wrong by saying "The TL will be 3K less than the G35"

My 2 cents
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    shouldn't have markups. it's Acura's volume vehicle (exception: MDX) and they probably would be producing a ton of them, so if you see markups, just hold out until Christmas, then the markups are over and we're back to selling it at pennies over invoice. By the way, Honda products come fully loaded, so a range of $32K-$35K MSRP sounds fine. Remember, crosstown rival Lexus ES300 starts at $32K, and when you add the options the Acura has to the Lexus, you come up with $37-$37.5K on the ES300 and $32-$33K on the TL. The Acura has more value packed into it too and should have more people looking into it since it has the lower price. By the way, the TL competes with the I35, and not the G35. The TSX is for the G35.