Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Older Acura TLs

Comments

• bigbluubigbluu Member Posts: 9
    Thanks stlgasman for the link to that article. A good sneak peek article I guess, but still missing a lot of details. Sounds like the engine's a carry-over, just retuned for more HP. And no mention of new auto tranny. Too bad... But the cockpit view looks great!
  • stlgasmanstlgasman Member Posts: 141
    The article has been pulled. It is available on the acura-tsx website. Also a picture of camel interior is available.
  • swsmsswsms Member Posts: 62
    I wonder if post# 479 will be pulled since it mentions another competing board?
  • doan_nvbdoan_nvb Member Posts: 3
    Hi,

i've bought an Acura 3.2TL 2000. it's user car, of course, so it didn't come with catalogue. i did try to do set up as the same as the way to set up the remote for the garage opener (press the leaner button in the opener then press and hold 1 button on the remote until the LED light is blinking). but it don't work.

what should i do, do i have to do any extra step or what....

thanks......
  • ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    the basic instructions that you are trying to follow are for the simple garage door openers.

Chances are your garage door opener is using a rolling code. It changes the code every time it operates.

This is to prevent someone from stealing your code.

Now, not all is lost. You should be able to program your Acura's remote to play with the rilling code. My garage door opener uses rolling code and I was able to set it all up.

The main unit of your garage door opener must have a special button. You need to press it to tell the garage door opener that you are about to introduce a new remote. Then you can set up your remote.

Look up the brand of your garage door opener on the web - they most likely have instructions on their website.
  • fredvhfredvh Member Posts: 857
    Owner's manual for your vehicle can be purchased on Ebay if you are interested. They certainly are a good thing to have for your new vehicle. The TL is still on my "maybe" list but I am still concerned over the 5-speed transmission issue. Congratulations on your new car!
  • king_georgeking_george Member Posts: 33
    Will the new TL have wider tires than the current TL or TL type-S?
  • swsmsswsms Member Posts: 62
    I read previously the new TL will have 235/45R17s which are larger than the 215/50R17s on the Type S.

Can't wait for the test drive!!!
  • jchan2jchan2 Member Posts: 4,956
    Can anyone post a link to the photo showing the camel interior or is it the one in the spy pics that were posted a few months back? That looks more like parchment though.
  • machiavellimachiavelli Member Posts: 260
    Does anyone know -
    1. When does it go on sale?
    2. Is it a 3.2L engine or increased to 3.5L?
    3. What is the price range? Higher than the 2003's or similar?
  • bklynguybklynguy Member Posts: 275
    1. Monday, Oct.6 (official date, should be in showrooms a few days before)
    2. 3.2L 270HP
    3. not sure, but we should know Sept.1 (higher than 2003)
  • machiavellimachiavelli Member Posts: 260
    Thanks!
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    Didn't someone post earlier that 270hp is purposely underrated, and that the actual power is closer to 280 - 285?

BTW, isn't it weird that we're now almost a month from scheduled intro date and nuthin' from Honda in terms of public announcement or advertising?
    the reason we know nothing is because that's Honda tradition. Hide everything until brochures are released so people don't expect more than what they're putting on the table. my 2 cents.
    Very annoying practice, IMHO.
    Works well for Honda since people will be rushing out to the dealer at intro time to see the new TL and who knows? Maybe they can move some of the slower selling Acura RLs.
  • hiromanhiroman Member Posts: 2
    I just read about the new TL in my latest October issue of C&D...Looks pretty slick, so I figured I'd come out here and see what was going on :) I saw an earlier post here that said bluetooth was standard with the satellite radio? What is the bluetooth intended to be used for? Is it possibly supposed to allow wireless headsets to be used with the cellular phone setup? Wireless sync of bluetooth PDAs for some type of application? I'm quite curious...anyone have any idea?
  • automophileautomophile Member Posts: 780
    The article was from "Autoweek Online". IF it is correct, it means that the car has a BlueTooth enabled hands-free system (mic and speaker) that will interface with your BlueTooth enabled cell phone, if you have one. No wired connections required.
  • fritzdickfritzdick Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2003 TLS. I was experiencing some vibration when braking. Balancing the tires did not help. When I took my car to the dealer for the 30K service, I mentioned it to the service advisor. When I picked my car up, they told me they had resurfaced the rotors and replaced the brake pads at no charge. Haven't had the problem since but it has been only about 5K miles.
  • carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    I just recieved an issue of the current motor trend magazine in the mail. Motor Trend had details for every car on the market for the 04 model year in this current issue. They said the sticker price for the 04 TL they estimated would be 33,000-34,000 dollars. Acura pricing the TL along the lines of Lexus's ES 300 and BMW's 3 Series isn't being very smart in my opinion.
  • bartalk2bartalk2 Member Posts: 326
    What else did C&D say about the TL? Had they driven it? Any performance data?
    They have the right to price it at around $31-$35K max. A ES300 with the TL's equipment levels would be like this:
    Lexus ES300: $38K
    Acura TL: $35K
    BMW 3-Series: $37-$39K
    Infiniti G35: $34K (What a Bargain!)
    Acura TSX: $28K.
    Except its interior may not even be on a par with that of the $28K TSX.
    Also forgot:
    Infiniti I35: (Leftovers) MSRP: $32-$33K. Another relative bargain.
    The TSX is a smaller car, so the price difference is needed to seperate the two from competing against each other. As is what is happening with the old TL and the TSX. The TL goes for around $29 with Nav system while the TSX goes for $28 with NAV.
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    New TL looking like it'll be a class-leader. Let's hope Honda has rectified the build quality issues.
    at my Local Acura dealer to test drive one. Otherwise, sounds like a winner. (Assuming the Tranny is OK)
  • neuronbobneuronbob Member Posts: 43
    I own an '02 TL-Premium (e.g. the non-S) and absolutely love it. However, I've been following the news about the new '04 avidly. In short, I'm really looking forward to test-driving it next month. The question is: is it worth buying?

1. Styling. It's not bad looking; it looks like a big, bulgy TSX. That's OK, branding cars is as old as the hills and Acura is finally learning to do it. Even so, score one for the current TL....it's an elegant design that makes it a "sleeper" (e.g. you don't expect such performance as you get from such a plain-looking car)...one of its best features.

2. Features. THIS is the reason I'm interested in this car. I've got an XM radio in my TL now--having it integrated into the dash radio would be wonderful. The Bluetooth-based hands-free phone system is wonderful for this doc as I transact so much business on the road. I've griped for ages about the lack of full stereo functionality on the steering wheel--now I've got it. 270 hp may not be much of a bump to you Type-S guys, but from 225 hp for us TL-P owners is a HUGE jump. I hope they keep OnStar; it's a great way to track the car if it's stolen. Last: I'm sorry I didn't buy a navi this time. That's a mistake I won't make again.

3. Price. Forget all the "I think....." and "people expect...". If the car is reasonably priced, I'll definitely look at it. By that, I mean below $35k.

So the big question is....do I become a beta-tester (e.g. buyer of the first year of this model)....or wait until '05? We'll see on October 6th.
    I think if you look at the torque curve, there isn't that much difference in the two engines. Why do you wish you had the navi so much? I can't decide if it is really worth $2000. I don't do much out of town driving, but it seems to be a popular feature.
  • bartalk2bartalk2 Member Posts: 326
    On some cars, the nav often complicates the audio and HVAC controls, making it cumbersome, user unfriendly, etc. Before getting the nav on the new TL, check that out.
  • carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    and it says the TL besides the hands free phone feature that comes standard a multichannel DVD audio 5.1 sound system and XM satellite radio will come standard also. Some pretty neat little toys to play with on the 04 TL. Coming optional will be a DVD based navigation system which comes with voiced activated operation.

On another topic the TL will make 20/30mpg on fuel.

The front end really looks agressive. I'm not sure If I like it but we will see how the car looks when the actual product comes out. I have an 02 Cl(Base.) Acura moving the price up might knock me back to a base brand car for my next purchase.
  • ash213ash213 Member Posts: 40
    I purchased new 2003 TL few weeks ago, I am only getting 19-20 mpg, and I have had about four tanks of fuel (premium as it is required) so far, is it suppose to improve or that is what to expect. My driving is 80% highway.
  • scott31scott31 Member Posts: 292
    I have a lead foot as well, and I get 24-26 with probably 70/30 hwy/city. If I'm on the highway 100% I have gotten as high as 35-36.
  • neuronbobneuronbob Member Posts: 43
    I travel a lot and the navi would be a nice aid. When I bought my current TL without navi, I did so because I didn't want to spend $2000 on what I viewed at the time as a toy. I've merely changed my mind in the last two years.

Mind you, I haven't decided to buy it yet. In fact, so far I'm leaning toward keeping my current TL for another year or two while the bugs in the new model are worked out. However, if the driving experience (e.g. use of features) is different enough, I might consider buying it sooner. As I said, we'll see when I get my hands on an actual car. :)
    Is it suppose to improve after little bit of driving, I think that is what I am asking, If not then I need to take it to dealer right away. Thanks.
  • s852s852 Member Posts: 1,051
    The new 2004 Infinity G35 will have an AWD model, so I'm sure Acura is going to at least think about it if they haven't already.
    However, if they really had no plans for AWD during the design, they may not be able to add it to this generation of TL.
  • billyperksbillyperks Member Posts: 449
    Hold your horses.
    The car will get better with mileage.
    I was having the same problem when I first purchased my TLS.The mileage was disastrous, I took it to the dealer thinking that it might be a Oxygen sensor, but the service rep told me the mileage will get better 5,000 miles onwards.

Right now I am a little over 8,000 and the mileage has been relitively better.
    Nothing to boast about.
    Thanks for your response. Can you tell what kind of milage you are getting now. I think with my kind of driving (80/20), I should get about 25 mpg. Is that a fair assumption?
  • dulnevdulnev Member Posts: 652
    I have about 8,000 on my TL-S now and I'm getting 19-20mpg most of the time. That's with 100% suburbia driving, which is about 80% city/20% highway. It's pretty much how my milleage was with a 2000 TL so I'm happy that the extra engine power is not translating into extra gallons. But I hope it really will improve later.
    Why the need for AWD? If I wanted AWD I'd buy a base MDX or loaded Pilot! Fuel economy would be lower, and VSA would help, I think that'll be standard. So, why the need for AWD?
  • jdone1jdone1 Member Posts: 22
    In over three years of 50/50 city/highway driving I have averaged a bit over 24mpg.. I also drive as if gas were free and am happily surprised at the TL mpg. numbers. It did indeed get better after the first 5k miles. Don't be tempted to use lower octane gas. I tested that and the knock sensor retards the spark enough to reduce the mpg to the point that cheaper gas actually cost me more to use.
  • s852s852 Member Posts: 1,051
    To maximize acceleration and minimize wheel spin and torque steer.
    AWD may shave several 10ths of a second from 0-60 times when flooring it on slick surfaces.
    That's what people want.
  • bklynguybklynguy Member Posts: 275
    Does anyone know if you can get a MP3 CD player as an option (like the Accord) ?

I went to a Best Buy last week, and noticed their small DVD-Audio section, their SACD section was twice as big ( still small compared to the CD section ). I would prefer a MP3/AAC CD or HD-based player.
  • brianatcalbrianatcal Member Posts: 9
    The TL mini site is up at

http://www.acura.com/index.asp

Looks great!

-Brian
    I am in the same situation, 2000 TL with 33K. This is purely a I want to have something new and different. Consumer Reports rates the 1999 TL pretty well though. The 04 comes off the same assembly line, whereas the 99 came off a new startup. I don't know if that impacts the quality, but it must make it more complicated to achieve higher marks.
    If the TL offers AWD, the question would then be why the need for the MDX and Pilot?? I would love to get the all-weather advantages of AWD without paying for all the excess bulk, weight, and poor gas mileage! The MDX and Pilot can't go off-road anyway, so other than the AWD, their main purpose is to feed the need for a certain image.
    If I could buy an AWD TL or an Acura MDX for the same price, which one would people buy? The TL, because its less bulky and more advanced, feature wise. For those who need the extra space, they'd plunk down the money for the MDX. But then again, you'd be lowering your CAFE standards, which means that you'd have to sell more Honda Insights to offset the hotcakes like TL rolling off the assembly lines with CITY: 16 MPG and HIGHWAY: 26 MPG plastered to the windshield.
    The page doesn't seem to load. Is it just my computer/ISP?
  • cooldad24cooldad24 Member Posts: 163
    And it scores even lower than Accord EX V6! So in my opinion that review not consistent. How come the Near luxury will be lower than midsize? Because value? This again tell you the review is someone's view, may not be yours. Question or uncertain some comment? Best thing to do is to test drive by your self. Have a list and compare at least two in one day to feel the difference. To me, the TL does improved in almost every category but you pay for them. It no longer means a good value with good performance. I will rate it with relative good price with very good performance.