Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Older Acura TLs

Comments

• stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,439
    having been in the 20% catagory, let me tell you that it gets frustrating not being able to find one. So, with cars that actually have a stick following (like a Maxima SE), if you are selling a clean one, it can get snapped up quick, at a good price.

Yes, it is a more specialized market (and dealers take advantage of that at trade in time), but for private sales, supply and demand works both ways.

Anyway, I agree that you should buy and drive what you really want (within budget constraints). If you are making a decision based on a hypothetical trade in 3-4 years from now, either buy a 3 year old Taurus appliance, or lease the new one so trade in is irrelevant.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• mdwnbmdwnb Member Posts: 8
    Test drove the new TL last weekend. Dealer only had one car to test drive. I am not sure if they are deliberately holding back inventory to create an inflated demand or if people are truly in love with the car. The new body has been beautifully tailored to simulate the new BMW's. Somewhat boxy, looking more aggressive than its predesesor. Very comfy interior even though its smaller than my I30. Great acceleration but noticed some instability in the steering while passing at high speeds. Not as tight in steering as my other car...Celica. I now...different class but my celica feels much firmer in the handling. Small passenger doors can make exiting hard for tall or old people. I am disappointed that local dealers are adding a protection packeage to the car for about 1K to MSRP. Overall, nice car. Will be driving it once more hopefully on the highway and not just in the city. Any one else test drive the car? Any dealers willing to sell the car below MSRP?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    It is frustrating trying to find one used, but the good part: When you find it, you can usually save a bundle. Unfortunately, it sometimes works the other way buying new. Its unfortunate that on desirable cars, the MSRP is the same, stick or auto.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• lenscaplenscap Member Posts: 854
    Adding things like the protection package for $1,000 shows a lack of class on the part of the dealer. I would report them to Acura and see what kind of response you get.

If you really want the car, just put a deposit on one that has not arrived yet. Since the cars are essentially built only one of two ways, with nav and without, it's easy to get one you like since you don't need to mess with options you do or don't want. Just tell them you want the next black (or whatever color) one that comes in and you do not want the protection package added when the car arrives. Because the cars are all equipeed the same it shouldn't be a long wait.
  • stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,439
    On the TL, the stick is actually cheaper when you factor in the additional standard equipment (Brembo brakes and LSD IIRC). So they could have knocked 1K off the MSRP and added these as a sport package for the same price to get to the same bottom line.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,200
    the brakes and suspension were part of the A-spec package, and not standard with the stick? Either way, I was making more of a general point... such as other cars like TSX and G35. I think the TSX would be even a hotter seller, if the stick were $1200 cheaper.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• tedescm1tedescm1 Member Posts: 309
    I sat in a new 04 TL last night and I thought the leather seats felt too firm and somewhat uncomfortable as compared to the 03 model.

What is your opinion or experience?
  • torontotltorontotl Member Posts: 60
    I was told 40,800 for the base and 44,000 for the navi model in Canada.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    This discussion will be moving to the new Acura TL Owners club.

As this topic is leaving Future Vehicles, Kirstie will no longer be your host, but I'm sure she will stop by on occasion. :-)

KarenS
    Senior Host
    Owners Clubs
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    The new Acura TL Owners club is now open in Edmunds.com Owners Clubs. Please stop by and introduce yourself in Meet the Members and let me know how I can help build your club.
    I have linked this discussion into that folder, but it will always reside here in Sedans.

Looking forward to meeting everyone!

KarenS
    Host
    Owners Clubs
  • jmichaelpjmichaelp Member Posts: 29
    Ha, ha I was thinking about the dark color conversations & that I would eliminate a dark color before I realized that my current car is dark w/ dark interior! Most of the cars life has been in Florida & I never even noticed that it was hot. Of course, I don't have a point of reference since I wasn't driving a light-colored car.

In regard to the dirt, I once rented a white car for a month & it was so dirty all of the time, I swore I'd never own one. If dark colors show dirt & light colors show dirt, what are we all to do - buy tan cars? No way!
  • uncledaviduncledavid Member Posts: 548
    In the red hot LA car marekt, I've often observed the phenomenon you are talking about. Out here, in our nasty urban traffic, there isn't a whole lot of demand for manual trannys, even in performance vehicles. But, when they hit the used market, they go quickly. They're aren't many of them around, and enthusiasts want them.
    Some cars with manual transmissions (like Beemers) actually seem to hold their value slightly better.

If you want a manual tranny in your new TL, I say go for it.
  • kahunahkahunah Member Posts: 448
    torontotl - Yes, that's correct. This is the official Canadian pricing for the Toronto market:

2004 TL Base (5 Speed Auto) - $40,800
    2004 TL Dynamic (6 Speed Manual) - $41,800
    2004 TL Navi Package (5 Speed Auto) - $44,000
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    Wow! $3K premium for the nav! Expensive toy.
  • torontotltorontotl Member Posts: 60
    I was told 40,800 for the base and 44,000 for the navi model in Canada.
  • cooldad24cooldad24 Member Posts: 163
    Here is another review of the 2004 TL: http://www.nctd.com/review-intro.cfm?ReviewID=1455
  • somepairsomepair Member Posts: 5
    Hi Everyone
    Does anyone know what an extended warranty by ACURA CARE for 7 Year 100,000 miles would cost?
    Thanks
    AL
    My initial impression of the camel colour under interior lighting wasn't that favourable, to be honest. Maybe it was the showroom lights, but it looked more yellow than I liked.
  • 1violinist1violinist Member Posts: 338
    Does anybody know when the A-SPEC package would be available and how much it costs?

I read the "disclaimer" about performance tires that they [wear out faster than all-season tires, provide less comfortable ride, make louder noise, etc.] How accurate is that? I appreciate your feedback about using performance tires.
    When I bought my TSX, the dealer was offering the Acura Cares program from somewhere between $700 and $1000. I declined.
  • drdarell1drdarell1 Member Posts: 8
    I test drove the '04 TL the other day and loved it! It corners great! I went to another dealer and while I haven't noticed any transmission problems on the boards for the '03s I figured that problem was fixed... I had a leasing manager say that the TL tranny problem isn't quite fixed, it's much improved, but not 100% yet. So now I'm wondering if anyone has had problems with an '03, and thinking I'll wait a bit to purchase an '04.
    Anyone heard any problems with the 04 TL tranny?
  • neuronbobneuronbob Member Posts: 43
    No problems reported with 2004s yet. The transmission problem was fixed early in the 2003 model year. People who own models not affected were not offered the 7 year/100k mile warranty extension that other 99-early 03 owners were. I'm confident that the tranny on my 2004 TL will hold up just fine.
    Are the aerodynamics just the regular body kit they are now selling as an accessory?
    Here's a link.
    http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4288911623&code=6753315- - &mode=invite

I have to say, the body kit doesn't do it for me. I'd be more interested in the beefier brakes and lowering springs for my 2004 and am hoping they are separate add-ons.

700 happy miles and counting!
    I guess if you're getting the 6-spd, which already has the beefier brakes, all you would get with the A-Spec is the normal aerodynamic body kit, lowering & larger wheels. All of these except the lowering are standard accessories. Looks like you can hold off on this when you buy and easily add it later if you want.
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,191
    I took out a new ‘04 TL briefly on Friday sfternoon. It was raining lightly, so it was a relatively subdued drive – not the time to test the nerves of the salesperson.

Overall it was a pleasant drive. The V6 is certainly smooth and reasonably powerful – quite most of the time. I noticed no exhaust note at all.

The dash is striking and readable. The seats are quite comfortable. The new configuration provides the additional interior headroom lacking for me in the previous TL. The trans. has a better manual shift program than the earlier versions I have driven. The ride was a bit harsher than I expected, but I did not check the tire pressures – could have been higher than spec. I was glad to note that the avg. mpg and miles to empty are separate from the nav. system.

No brochures available.

If they can prove to me that the trans. reliability problems have been addressed, I will at least drive one again – including some highway miles.

- Ray

Still trying to decide about the exterior styling . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
    Just received this reply from an Acura dealer (about 100 miles from me): "At this juncture Acura plans the release of the six speed TL to be late December to mid January 2004."

My local dealer has told me mid-November to possibly early december (worst case).

Which is it? Does anyone know for certain?
  • luegoluego Member Posts: 13
    Congrats on your great-looking 04 TL. Do you know where I can find the manufacturing date on my 03 TL? Thanks.
    Open your driver's side door. Facing the door, your VIN sticker should be at the bottom right of the door. That has the month and year of your car's manfacture.
  • carguy58carguy58 Member Posts: 2,303
    I don't think the new BMW styling is going to stand the test of time. The TL even though I haven't warmed up to the looks yet of it gets my stamp of approval over the new 5 Series body style. At least Acura didn't overstyle the 04 TL.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,891
    maybe i missed it, but did anyone mention a price on that a-spec package?

probably the only thing I'd really care about on it is the suspension upgrade (that is if the brakes are the same as will come with the 6-speed).

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• fwatsonfwatson Member Posts: 639
    I think the '04 styling looks great except for one problem. the trailing edge of the back doors looks very much like the Camry's. To my eye the straight line looks out of place there and that edge should follow the contour of the rear wheel opening. They also used a similar character line to the Camry, horizontally below the doors.

Otherwise, it does have a BMW (last generation) look to it especially from the rear quarter angle. And I agree that BMW screwed up royally on their new styling theme.
  • gkearns56gkearns56 Member Posts: 49
    Hey "uncledavid"

You hit the nail on the head again. I couldn't disagree more with "midnight cowboy" :)). He said low profile tires have NO effect on the ride; of course they do. There is less rubber between the road and the car. Thus, every bump you hit will be felt that much more. Yes, the low profile tires do help as he said in the corning and handling. However, you DO sacrifice some of the "ride quality" for the handling and cornering.
    Where does he get his info? "Midnight-cowboy" if you go to "TireRack's" website they did a whole study on how low profile tires ride a little ruffer but have better handling. Low profile DO make a difference in the ride quality.
  • webby1webby1 Member Posts: 209
    I was there too....what color did they have at your dealer?
    In Hamilton, Kitchener, Burlington and St Catharines they had only one car and all were black with the ugly camel.
  • danogdanog Member Posts: 318
    I talked with the dealership and stated our concern for our 02 TL yesterday. The next phase according to them is a meeting with an Regional Acura representative. Not sure how this will go but I've started a list of possibilities.
    I do know the car was traded in by the original owner, not a buyback or lemon case but the history of service was correct. On Monday it will be in the shop for the fourth transmission.
    Acura has done things like increase the warranty and replace faulty tranny but there is nothing they can do or say that will our concerns about our vehicle go away. What good is a warranty when the tranny locks and you are involved in a wreck?
    The honest truth is I love the car and had this model not been plagued with this issue it is by far the best all around vehicle I've owned. I certainly hope those without issues continue and all new models don't develope any problems.
  • iwseiwse Member Posts: 27
    drdarell1, please clarify your post #2245. Did the leasing manager imply the tranny problems have leaked into the 2004 model, or did he restrict his comments to the 2003 model? I would imagine if an Acura dealer employee even hinted at tranny problems continuing to the 2004 model, it would be grounds for his immediate dismissal, but I just want to double check what you meant.
    I got a lousy whole 10 minutes of testdrive today. They only had one demo and they had people lined up to try it. Couldn't form much of an opinion in 10 minutes. Initial impressions are that the car feels tighter and heftier than the current TL/CL. A noticeable increase in solidity. Seems to handle better than even the Type-S cars. Definitely quieter. Very little road and wind noise. Throttle action is heavier -- more German than Japanese in feel. With my CL-S, just the weight of my foot on the throttle will get it going whereas it seems on the demo I had to consciously put some force on the pedal to get it going. Maybe partly because of the aforementioned throttle action and partly because the engine was grass green, the new TL seemed less lively around town than the current Type-S. Interior looks very upscale. Leather noticeably better/softer than current model. Plenty of legroom in back. Still wish they could've made the trunk a bit bigger.

Two different salesman told me that the whole of Canada is only getting 5,000 TLs in total this year. This seems like an awfully low number for a volume model. Don't know if they were BSing to induce people to place orders or if this is accurate. Just seems low. Does anyone know the annual sales of TLs in Canada in previous years?
  • gregory28gregory28 Member Posts: 174
    I'm considering both these cars. What are the pros and cons between the two in your opinion. AWD of G-35 is a big plus for me. I don't know how the Acura will do in the snow. I like the color selection of the G-35 better. Acura has better reliability reputation than Infiniti per Consumer Reports- the only source I trust. Acura dealer is much closer to me. G-35 will be a bit more money. I think they both handle equally well. Trunk is bigger in TL and the lumbar support is better. I'm leaning towards the TL.

Thanks in advance for your feedback.
    I have a couple of friends who always buy silverish looking cars. They claim they hide dirt and scratches better. I've always preferred dark cars- grey, Hunter green and black. What do you folks think?

Thanks you.
    They are at opposite extremes in terms of maintenance. The black will show every speck of dirt and scratch whereas I can go weeks without washing the silver and it would still look OK.
    I saw a 2004 Acura TL in blue with a camel interior. It looks spectaculiar in my opinion. There's a 2 month wait for the camel with black- that would be an even better combination.
    Thanks for your opinion. Don't trust the salespeople when they give you broad numbers like that. Email Acura directly and they'll give you the true figures. Less than 2 months ago I was considering a 2003 TL. The sales guy said the new TL was going to cost US$35K and he was asking US$1000 over invoice for a 2003 TL. As you know the 2004 TL is US$33K and the 2003 TL are selling for US$1500 under invoice in New Jersey. I was never interested in the navigation system.
  • kahunahkahunah Member Posts: 448
    My test drive experience was very similar to yours. I quite enjoyed the short but sweet ride. In fact, I concur with every point you've made. I did manage to take the car on a stretch of highway and man…this car can move! When pushed, this new engine is all business. The drive-by-wire throttle feel is different but it's just a matter of getting used to it. As solid and quiet as the car is, you still experience the hallmark Acura "road feel" in a very positive way. This is not a car for drivers who want to be totally insulated from the road. They're better off driving a Lexus...or a 1975 Eldorado.

Never having driven a car with Nav before, I found it to be very distracting. Plus, I think CDN$3,200 is too pricey for that package. I'm going to test drive the 6MT as soon as the first demo arrives at the dealer this coming week. I've been on a 'no obligation' waiting list for over a month now, so if I like the 6MT and order it, I'll get it by mid-Nov.

As of July this year, Acura sold 31,050 previous model TLs in the US, and 37,502 in 2002. Canadian sales figures should account for at lease one 1/10 to 1/8 these numbers (comparing populations), so 5,000 units sounds about right. Here are US sales figures for various cars: http://www.autosite.com/editoria/asmr/svsedan.asp
    I think the darkness of the color makes a big difference. I have a Meteor Silver TSX and find it very easy to take care of. It doesn't get hot, show swirls, or show dirt. I think I've bought my last dark colored car.
  • markianmarkian Member Posts: 17
    I have owned a Lexus ES300 2002 for the last two years. The car has been perfect, but it is extremely boring to drive. I test drove the 2004TL with the Navi Package yesterday. What a difference in the overall experience. I was able to be part of the driving experience again. I did not realize how boring the ES300 really was. I am going to order the TL 2004 and get rid of the ES300 as quickly as possible.
  • rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,191
    I thought someone had posted a December intro. date for the manual trans. (But cannot find the post now.)

My closest dealer (Acura Carland - Duluth, GA) has had a black / gray 6-speed TL on the lot for over a week.

Just f.y.i.
    - Ray
    Still chewing on the exterior styling - but it looks WAY better to me than the new BMW 5 . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
    Thanks for the sales figures info. So it looks like the Canadian market for TL isn't that big in any year and 5,000 units may not be as tight a supply as the salesmen made it out to be.
    gregory28: TL is more elegant than G-35, especially the upscale interior. The G-35's interior feels very cheap. I especially like the TL's new surround sound system and bucket seats.
    I saw the Anthracite. It's a dark grey. Looks very nice and will hide dirt more than black. The most popular color for the last 4 years for cars in the US is "light grey". I'm told this is because they stay cooler in the heat and don't show scratches and swirls as much as the darker colors. I've always been a fan of the dark exteriors for cars I've owned. The 2004 TL "satin silver metallic" comes only with the quartz and black interiors. These 2 interiors look quite contemporary to me. I like the parchment and the camel interiors because they have nice looking imitation wood instead of the carbon fiber and metal combination. Again, I realize color is a very subjective thing. The imitation wood makes the interior look more elegant, in my opinion.