Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Windstar

Comments

• jdunn1jdunn1 Member Posts: 1
    I brought a Ford Windstar in June 2000,first it was the rear window it would not close,then the right slide door was making a bubbling noise,then on top of that,I started hearing a popping noise in the front end of the Van. could hear the noise when I was turning and backing the van. want some help on how I can get my money back and give them their lemon back before anything else happens.
  • wholiganwholigan Member Posts: 148
    I'm BBBB AAAA CCCC KKKK! And Oh, how I hate to be here... Nothing against you folks; we are all just part of a club that nobody wants to be a member of... Nonetheless, the 95 WS has bitten me again!

Brief history:
    JAN 1999 - 47000 - New Transmission (warranty)
    MAY 1999 - 52000 - New Transmission (warranty)
    MAY 1999 - 52000 - New Head Gaskets (warranty)
    MAY 1999 - 52025 - New Motor (warranty)
    JUL 1999 - 53000 - Replace O2 Sensors (warranty - $50)
    OCT 1999 - 56000 - New Transmission (warranty)
    JAN 2000 - 59600 - New Blower Motor (et al - only $400!) - Extended Warranty is about to expire...
    FEB 2000 - 61000 - New Front Brakes & Rotors ($225)
    APR 2000 - 63000 - New Inner Tie Rods ($300)
    At EVERY oil change from this point forward, I indicated to the service rep that we were constantly smelling coolant....

Luck Me! What now! We are at 75000 and guess what?! We need another engine again! Oh yeah! You'll even give me a rental car? Why? It is going to take 10 days to get another engine! Wait a minute... Isn't there a buy back program? That program for 95WS ended in October.

I cannot believe this... I'll keep you posted...
    2003 Honda Odyssey EX-LRES - Midnight Blue Pearl
    2004 Honda Accord EX-L Graphite Pearl
    2007 Honda Civic EX - Atomic Blue
    2013 Honda Civic LX - Crimson Pearl
  • ronrizzronrizz Member Posts: 4
    Wow!
    I am amazed at the number of transmission problems on this model.
    Our WS 98 has 56K.
    Here's its dirty laundry list:
    1. The Tracking bar has been replaced at 25K - Warranty.
    2. The Windshield developed a growing crack for an unknown reason - replaced windshield via insurance, beyond 36K warranty.
    3. Door Handle on sliding door coming loose. I have to push in on the handle to get it to work. Dealer estimated $250 to fix. - beyond 36K warranty.
    4. Right passenger side mirror coming loose at base that attaches to door ( not the glass itself ). Dealer estimated $250 to fix. - beyond 36K warranty.
    5. 12V DC power socket on center console blew a fuse. Replaced fuse and it worked. 3 months later the same socket stopped working again. It might be a blown fuse. I haven't bothered checking it since I've become accustomed to things breaking in this car and really wish it would go away. If it is a blown fuse again, might this indicate an electrical short somewhere that could cause a fire?
    6. After a wheel rotation, the car started pulling right. I have to turn the steering wheel 5 degrees left of center to keep the car going straight. The pulling seems worse when accelerating or when the engine is pulling at a high torque.
    First Try: Dealer rotated tires ( back to the original position ), checked alignment to be good. They must not have test driven it because the car was still pulling.
    Second Try: Dealer rotated tires, adjusted alignment with a greater attention to detail. I was told that it was test driven, and I believe them, as I requested the dealer to pick up and drop off the car at our house. The pulling was less severe, but it was still there. Service manager said it was "radial pull" ( tires ) or shocks. Using the old fashion "bounce" test, the shocks did not appear to be a factor.
    7. The rim covers keep coming off. I replaced missing covers twice( at $50 - $75 each ). I made sure the metal tabs were bent out enough to grip the rim to the point it was difficult to get the cover on. Regardless, I am down to one rim and don't plan on replacing any more. Oddly, that last rim is holding tight.
    8. The last straw. The transmission made a grinding noise that grew Louder over a week, and was most prominent when accelerating. Finally, while driving it the day before I was to take it to the shop the transmission seized up on a hill. If this happens to you, - get behind the wheel, shift it to Neutral and have some one else rock it. Eventually it will break loose and roll back down the hill, so be ready to move out of the way.

I've owned 4 different cars over the past 18 years, each from different manufactures. A couple I have kept over 5 years/100,000 miles. Personally, I have never seen a car develop so many problems inside of 3 years and under 56K miles. 3 years ago this was a $29,000 car and I was expecting $29,000 worth of quality.

Does anyone remember when Ford's motto was "Quality Is Job #1" ?
    Is it a coincidence that they don't advertise that any more?
    Instead, "Built Ford Tough" implies "Tough" to maintain one.
  • the5foursthe5fours Member Posts: 7
    I had a clunk in mine when I first got it that went away right before I took it in to the dealer. This winter the front end started to shimmy--they blamed it on going though snow banks although there was no physical evidence of this. They balanced the tires even though they were in specs. They ended up steam cleaning the suspension which took care of the shimmy but it felt like it was hitting every bump in the road had. On night it started clunking bad and over every little bump. They replaced and tightened a few bolts and it improved the ride too.
    As far as the lemon law, you need a total of 30 out of service days, or the same problem 4 times--I'm I'am the process of this. The attorney I talked to said the dealer will always make an offer that looks good to the person, but generly with an attorney they won't mess around.
    OK - I am awaiting the call from either the dealership or the FMC representative. FWIW, every Ford dealership is assigned a Regional Representative. This person works for the Ford Motor Company. This person is only available through the Service Manager at each dealership (the 1-800-392-FORD folks will NOT acknowledge that this person exists). If you feel you are not getting anywhere with your dealer, I suggest you ask for the Ford Regional Representative.

Well, it is now after 3:30PM and I was supposed to hear from them by 3:00PM. I have called the 1800 number again. Another rep (LeRoy) is taking all the information (again). It is just amazing to me that that all I seem to do is repeat the story - over and over - the reps do all they can to keep you from getting upset. Which is probably good. THey have all the history of calls that I have made. Funny, I asked them to send a copy of that infomration to me, however, they wont send anything?! They say that their "system" cannot do it...

Nonetheless, FORD has dished out a LOT of money to keep this car running. WHY? I have asked, once again, to get the same offer that was made under program M010. While he has not stated so,
    I am under the impression that this program is over. I still can't get confirmation on that. It is now 4:10PM and I have been on the phone since 3:40PM.

At 4:10PM the Service Manager FINALLY joined the phone conversation. His name is JEFF. Turns out, he knows NOTHING about this! It appears that TERRY, the Parts Manager, was the person who spoke with the the Ford contact yesterday! This is absolutely screwed! Jeff has claimed complete ignorance to this issue. I have asked that Jeff talk with Terry and the Regional Rep to review the situation. Jeff stated that he will call tonight. I'll believe it when that happens...

More to come...
    Well - I tried... Just got off the phone with the Regional Rep for Ford. I'll give her some credit - she was much more compassionate than the last one; nonetheless, the buy-back is not in my future. According to her, the buy-back option was NOT a part of the head gasket program. It was an addendum to the program because the demand for rebuild 3.8L V6 far outstripped supply. As part of the program, they were offering a rental car for the time that you would be out of your car. Unfortunately, they found that some waits (the combination of getting the motor and having it installed) were running in excess of four months. It was more cost advantageous to buy those people out of their vehicle. According to what she said, for the region that I live in, she had to use the addendum in June, July, and part of September.

Whatever the case, I did find out one VERY interesting thing... The first motor replacement (in June 1999) did NOT include the re designed head gasket - as I was told...

Soooooo, tomorrow I get a rental and wait for a motor to be installed. I can't wait for the Customer Satisfaction Survey on this one...
  • iwasscammediwasscammed Member Posts: 28
    I too have the same problem. I have 1995 with MANY problems and just bought it Dec 2nd. I came dangerously close to hitting a woman walking in front of my car as I was pulling out of her way and the van jumped forward. My husband came very close to rear-ending another car when he was taking a turn at a light. I took it to service and they said the air intake was loose and they tightened it. When I picked it up and drove it again, sure enough it did it again. Is the problem fixed... NO. Two days ago the GM called me and said to bring it back yesterday to have someone ride with me to point out all the problems, I have yet to hear from him. HAS ANYONE WATCHED THEY'RE ENGINE WHEN YOU PLACE IT IN PARK, DRIVE OR REVERSE????????? Mine literally shifts forwards and backwards, it rocks in the compartment. I have never seen an engine do this.
  • ctitus1ctitus1 Member Posts: 3
    Help!! I have a 98 GL that is in need of an exorcism. We are having problems with the door open chime coming on whenever it feels like it and stays on until it gets ready to shut off. I noticed the other day that it seemed to happen fairly regular when the brakes were applied and it would stop when the accelerator was applied. Another problem is a growling sound in the steering when making a turn, it is much worse in colder temperatures. The car is 13000 miles out of warranty. Any help would be appreciated.
  • scoot4scoot4 Member Posts: 1
    2000 WS SEL - Does anyone know how to turn the seat belt alarm down a bit? Yes, I'm real quick to get my seat belt on, but it's still unusually load.

Also, how is everyone's MPG? We do a lot of local driving and get 13 MPG. (What's the criteria for the gas guzzler tax?)
  • callo_callo_ Member Posts: 18
    Our computer is saying 13 in the city also, 19 on the highway.
  • ronrizzronrizz Member Posts: 4
    ctitus1
    It would not take long to read just the past two weeks worth of posts on this town hall to see that the WS 95 and 98, at least, are plagued with problems.
    My own list is under #355. I had a grinding noise around 25K that was determined to be the tie rods ends on the tracking bar that were worn. Too bad you are beyond warranty, although it could be worse. You could have the typical transmission failure outside of the warranty that happens between 50K and 60K as is my case at the present.
  • crkeehncrkeehn Member Posts: 513
    There are a couple of things you can check, in reference to the phantom alarms. They would most likely be related either to the switch for the sliding door or the switch in the rear hatch. The sliding door is the easiest to address so I will start there. You have 4 silver contact spots in the door frame and four plungers mounted in the sliding door itself. Try cleaning the silver contact spots in the door frame using something mildly abrasive such as a pencil eraser. If that doesn't work, the other switch that causes trouble is built in to the rear hatch latches. Some people have gained success with that problem by spraying something in the latch. I unfortunately don't remember what they have used.
  • suzersuzer Member Posts: 2
    We have a 2000 SEL and I get 14.7 in the city and I think it's between 19 and 22 on the road. I also do a lot of running every day taking kids here and there.
  • snappy3snappy3 Member Posts: 13
    ..can be disabled. There is a sequence described in the owner's manual.
  • miesner3miesner3 Member Posts: 3
    i have a ws w/73000 miles on it love the van and havent had any problems except w/ the speedometer should i go ahead and replace the headgaskets w/ felpro or something else aftermarket as a precaution and would like feedback on if someone knows if it will repeat the headgasket problem or should i consider unloading the vehicle any feedback is greatly appreciated
  • bblahabblaha Member Posts: 329
    Personally, I think you should. Its what I intend to do when I get to the 60 to 70k mark (mine is a 99 at 27k). I'm fairly sure the problem is a result of using an older style gasket on a bimetal engine. Don't know whether your 96 has a better gasket though. For that matter, I don't know that my 99 has a better gasket...

If you find any information about aftermarket sources, please keep us informed.
    Reference #359. I found that although any door when opened will cause the door ajar light to come on ONLY the drivers door will cause the chime to sound. I was able to solve my problem by lubricating the locking mechanism on the drivers door. I also had a problem with the rear air not blowing from the roof outlets but from the floor vent at the second row of seats. I removed the access panel and sprayed some lubricant on the baffle (correct name unknown)at the rear of the access compartment. Now when I select between heat and air I can see the arm move the baffle either up or down depending on which mode I have selected. If your in the market for a 1998 windstar let me know, I just replaced it with a 2001 Durango. Good Luck.
  • crkeehncrkeehn Member Posts: 513
    Ctitus1, I'm glad you got your situation resolved but I'm not sure that the statement about the door open chime is correct. At least on my 96 Windstar, the dirty sliding door contacts caused the chimes to ring. They started intermitently and got to the point by the end of the trip, that they were ringing continuously. Cleaning the contacts, as I had outlined, corrected the problem.
  • slovikovskislovikovski Member Posts: 8
    has anyone heard of new changes getting ready for the next model year.......will the windstar get better more user friendly seats....help
  • miesner3miesner3 Member Posts: 3
    has anyone had problems with the brakes on the 96 I/I last weekend the brake line blew out for no apparent reason also the speedometer fluctuates going down the road is this a common occurance or does anyone know what causes this and what can be done to correct it knock on wood just turned 74000 miles and no head gasket problems yet will keep you posted
    #362 ronrizz. I replaced the outer tie rod end as you suggested and the steering noise went away. I did it myself for less than twenty five dollars and thirty minutes time. The new tie rod ends come with grease zerts which would have prevented the problem to begin with. Thanks

#363 crkeehn. It may be true that on most vans any open door will cause the door chime to sound but on mine (1998) I verified that only the drivers door chimes. Like I said my van was possessed. I tried cleaning the sliding door contacts and spraying the tail gate latches like you said but the problem appeared to be in the drivers door. Thanks for the help. LOVE my new Durango.
  • jjarosikjjarosik Member Posts: 6
    the interior-light-off-delay was lasting hours sometimes. The permanent fix was replacing all of the door sensors - all FOUR of them. The dealer paid for them after enough !@#$%^&*. The ABS and BRAKE light problem cost my neighbor TWO brake jobs, 8,000 miles apart. Her dealer saw her coming. My dealer told me to fill the can to the TOP of the thick plastic FULL line .. not the bottom or middle of that line - the sensors are picky. That has kept my lights off for a year now.
  • kjclowkjclow Member Posts: 29
    I have a 97 Windstar. So far nothing major but as mentioned by miesner3, I had to replace the speedometer head at Christmas. We have had to three brake jobs to it with only 85,000 miles. It is probably ready for new front ones now.

As for the new Windstars. I had a rental in Philly this week. Only 11 miles on it and I was wondering if it would make it back to the airport. The van could not make up its mind which gear it wanted to be in. It took forever for it to decide to shift out of first and then would constantly shift between third and fourth. The seats were very uncomfortable and the leg room was much less than in my 97. The check engine came on at 20 miles and would not go off. The O/D off light never did go off, although the overdrive was working. When I applied the brakes, it gave a terrible surge. If I had not seen the same problem posted here a couple of weeks ago, I would have probably hit someone. I had been starting to look at replacements for my 97 and driving this one made my choices a little easier. There will not be another Ford in my garage.
    Those who posted 14 mpg , is it a 2000 SEL?? How long you have it? How did it do when you first got it? DID YOU HAVE ANY ELECTRICAL PROBLEMS???????

I got mine late March last year. I never saw anything less than 23 mpg the first 2 1/2 tank fulls. THEN THE BATTERY STARTED GOING DEAD. Going down the highway the MS was reading 14!! Each time the dealer would re program the PCM it would improve for a couple of days then the battery would go dead again or it would drop for no reason at all. I finally took it to a different dealer because my transmission started acting up too--he CLEARED out the PCM and reset it (even though it was already set to the latest) and it took care of the tranny and finally am getting decent highway readings, but the city kills anything that the highway gains. The miles to empty used to read 525 miles right after filling up. Mine was reading 420 miles, so I tried disconnecting the battery and restting the tranny and filled up. It read 480 miles and as I drove it combined went up to 505 miles. I did drive a new one. Although that one didn't read under 18 mpg in the city, I filled the tank up and it read only 436 miles to empty. Ancious for warmer weather, a friend who has a 2000 SE says he can go 520 miles before filling up. Leaving on a long trip so I'll see if warmer weather will help. Meanwhile, anyone with a SEL with electriacal problems, EMAIL ME-- the5fours@juno.com
  • dennis82dennis82 Member Posts: 1
    I lease a 99 windstar and unfortunately have 10 months left on this lease. Now of course with 43,000 miles on it -- it is out of warranty. I have had problems from very beginning and Ford can not solve problems as they all come and go. Anyone heard of the air conditioner that comes on and off in the back all on its own - spuratically of course. Door ajar light remains on and sometimes after 20 minutes on the road, the doors all lock and the light goes out, sparatically of course. Pulsation, throbbing comes from the steering wheel, (just had to pay to have the tie rods replaced. Noise from left front tire when you turn corners to the left. Clicking noise from up under the steering column, lunging when moving slowly (they finally figured this one out). Any ideas on how to get out of a lease without costing money. 10 Months left and I have had it with Ford -
  • callo_callo_ Member Posts: 18
    I posted 14 mpg a couple of weeks back. Since then we have played with the computer and have got back readings as high as 16 city/21 highway. I'm taking the van in for it's first service, and hopefully the dealer can give me a hands on demonstration on how to set and use the message center (especially the compass). The compass has actually set itself, if that is all possible.
  • matycatmatycat Member Posts: 12
    ATTENTION EVERYONE: I posted a message important for all of you to read. Please refer to message number 373 under "Ford Windstar Problems II." Thank you for those who answer.
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    You can go to the Ford Windstar problems discussion topic by clicking here.

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket and Accessories message boards
  • matycatmatycat Member Posts: 12
    sorry, please go to number 374 for the lawyer's e-mail (the one pursuing a class action), and check out posting 370, under Ford Windstar Problems II.
  • wmy99wmy99 Member Posts: 7
    Update on problems/solutions with my 1996 Windstar

I hope this info will be of some help to other Windstar owners:

My vehicle has a 3.8 engine with 72,000 miles.

--Problem of rear head rests jammed in upward position, dangerously, blocking the driver's rear view vision.

I removed the c-clip at the very top of the seat where the chrome rod of the headrests enter the top of the seat (use needle nose pliers}. I pushed the headrests down to their lowest position & reinserted the clips. O.K.

--Problem of engine light flickering/staying on.
    Had an independent mechanic check the vehicle with a computer/scope.
    Remedy was to change sparkplugs & sparkplug wires & gas line filter. I was shown that the wires were arcing & this would send a signal to the computer of a misfire causing the check engine light to come on.-----Parts & Labour $ 250.00
    Of interest platinum spark plugs only are recommended for proper engine performance also you can check the wires for arcing, best time at night & spray a mist of water on the wires with motor running. If you wires are defective,you will easily see arcing from the wires to the motor or to other wires.
    Result: engine light stayed off for 2 days then came on again.
    I took the vehicle to a Ford Dealer in my area & the van was checked with a computer/scope.
    Remedy was to change faulty EGR SENSOR ASSEMBLY {F4ZZ*9J460*B) & 2 EGR VAC HOSES.
    -Parts & Labour $ 240.00
    Result: engine light now off for
    3 weeks, seems O.K.

--Problem of ABS & BRAKE Lights flickering on & off at stop light & then staying on. (the brake cylinder is known to have a sloppy float causing the light to come on when you come to a stop, fill the cylinder to the top & the light goes out.}
    I had my brake wheel cylinders & brake system checked twice by my local garage & the brake system checked by my Ford Dealer & they could not find any leaks. My master cylinder would lose brake fluid slowly, about 1 inch over 30 days.

I did see about 1 tablespoon of fluid overnight appear on my driveway. I laid a large piece of cardboard under the engine overnight & was able to catch this fluid stain on the cardboard. I then took the cardboard into the dealer marking where the front tire was on the cardboard. The dealer was then able to pin point the area of the leak under my van.
    The following part was leaking and replaced. {Proportionating valve}. There are 2 of these valves joining the brake lines located under the vehicle, just behind the driver's seat area. The brakes had to be bled.
    FORD#BRAKE VALVE (F8Z*2B091*BA}
    -Parts & Labour $185.00

--Problem of Very Strong, Burning, Chemical Smell Coming From Heater.

This solution was found by accident by my Ford Dealer while the vehicle had been in for repair. This was my 3RD repair visit to the Dealer & I had complained about this horrible smell each visit but it would not appear at that time. I had my van in to check for the brake fluid leak and asked the mechanic to check for leaks around the back of the engine in case brake fluid or oil was leaking on the exhaust.----The mechanic discovered 6 large pine cones jammed up against the engine & they were partially burned.--- A squirrel or chipmunk had started to make a nest next to my nice, warm engine & the pine cones slowly burning were causing this terrible chemical smell to be picked up by the heater intake. -Parts & Labour $00.00
    for those of you that have been keeping track... I am the one that made the homepage about my problems with the dealer and vehicle I bought (95 w/s).

Http://hometown.aol.com/lisam1120/myhomepage/news.html

Here is the latest update...

Ted Britt took my loaner away from me after they had found that I had contacted an attorney. when the general manager called to tell me he wanted his loaner back immediately, I said well.... guess now I have you for false advertising as well, on top of the original charge of Fraud and consumer Law Violations. He hung up.

However the following day called to tell me to please return to the dealership and pick up another loaner, because what he did was very wrong and he apologized with three phone calls. I lost a day of work because of that one.

Yesterday late, I got a call from the Tech. working on my van. He called to tell me that the new engine was in and it was running great, and that the problem with the brakes was going to be taken care of per the General Manager. They were going to put new tires on, new pads, and new rotor's and they were going to cover the cost. I guess making a web page makes some people take care of things for fear that it will damage the customer's coming in. As I sent my page to mostly people in the Fairfax area. I have had 205 hits so far. I am assuming that he is thinking I will pull the page since he is taking care of things not covered under warranty, and believe me, I am very thankful. The problem still exsist's though... I am stuck in a loan for 6 yrs, my warranty is just one year, and with all the problems I have dealt with in just the first two weeks of ownership, I am extremely fearful of what will happen in the next 6 yrs. It shouldn't be this way when you purchase a vehicle. I am still going to continue with legal action, still keep my page up and still post on auto boards. This does not change my mind at all about the quality of this van that Ford sold me. Thanks for all your support with my page. I will keep you posted as to how the new engine is running as I am suppose to pick it up today.

Lisa
    Hello all its me lisa, the one that my dealership cant stand right now, thanks to my homepage.

Http://hometown.aol.com/lisam1120/myhomepage/news.html

Well we picked my van up after having the second engine put in just one months time and drove it approx 7 miles. I placed the van in nuetral and ran it to 4 rpms when it started to spit and sputter again. WHY ME!!!!! There was coolant all over the place. Dont know if it was new or old, so I had the hubby rinse it off, so i could get a better look tomorrow when it is driven. Now they replaced the brakes, rotors, and tires today. But while I was at the hospital waiting for my surgery, my hubby called to tell me that the brakes are now making a very loud thumping noise when coming to a stop. So after I drive it for a little while tomorrow and I can get a feeling of what it is doing, I will place a call into the tech. and once again the General Manager. So this is just a slight update as to what the problems are now. I will keep you all posted. Oh and there is still a ticking noise...... remember the last engine did this and they told me it was the rocker arms and push rods. I wonder if they even changed out the engine????

Thanks again for all your support.

Lisa
    Can anyone recommend inexpensive tires for my WS? I am trying to spend as LITTLE as possible (I have no faith in the longevity of this vehicle). My goal is $225 Installed with an alignment (alignment alone is about $60).
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    I suggest that you repost your question in the Tires, Tires, Tires discussion topic in the Aftermarket & Accessories message board. Someone may be able to help you there.

I must point out though, that even though you have no faith in the longevity of this vehicle, the tires are the only part of the vehicles which are in actual contact with the road. Since you will still be riding/driving the vehicle, you may want to avoid being too frugal for you and your family's own safety.

Good luck!

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
    Ditto what Drew said. Longevity isn't the only factor that drives up a tires price. The tires just aren't the thing I'd be trying to save money on.

For what its worth, Michelin X-Ones are what was suggested to me by "tireguy" over in "Tires, tires, tires" a while back (I have a 99 SE).
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    And if you belong to Costco (or Sams?), you can get the Michelin X Radial Plus, which is the store-branded version of the X-One. Failing that, I had ok luck driving the Costco-Kirkland brand on an old Voyager that was used around town. Various manufacturers make the Kirklands....

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
    I appreciate the input!
  • gordo517gordo517 Member Posts: 4
    I met with a dealer today pricing a 2001 Wind star
    ES MSRP 31,500 anyway the salesman told me the residual value, for a 15,000 mile a year vehicle for a 3 year deal is only 42% is this actual or is he low balling me?
    Go over to the FW&I forum and ask in "Leasing Questions". Car_man will be able to tell you exactly what Ford's leasing program is currently. Personally, with the bad rap they're getting, I think that residual sounds about right. But I'd go ask Car_man to be sure...
  • jvirginiajvirginia Member Posts: 65
    Try a vist to your nearest Pep Boys. They absolutely have the cheapest prices on tires and offer a variety of qualities to choose from. Starting from $99 for (4)tires and going up from there. I agree with what others have stated though. Price should not be the prime factor when choosing your tires. If you are going to dump the vehicle within the next 6 months, Pep Boys would probably be a good move.
    I bought tires this past weekend...

OK, it is my family we haul around so I didn't skimp too much - OTOH, I didn't go crazy either. After talking with a couple of shops I got the impression that the cheap tires (35000 to 40000 mile tires) have softer sidewalls that would not last very long on a 4200 pound vehicle.

I went to the local Fleet Farm and picked up a set of four Duron Vertex IV. They are a 75000 mile tire made by the Dayton Tire Company. They were on sale for $49.95 each and for the month of March they had free mounting, balance, and valve stems. $212.79 later I took the tires to their Auto Service Center and they had them on the van in 45 minutes. I asked them to do an alignment as well. It turned out I didn't need one. After they put it on the rack they showed me that all four wheels were within spec. Sooooo... They charged me $6 to dispose the old tires and $10 for the alignment "check".

That is the least amount of money that I have spent on service for this van since I bought it in 1998!
    Just got back from 2700 mile trip with mixed results. It started out at just under 21 mpg. Stopping for lunch, I pressed reset again and for the resr of day I got 24 mph going 75 mph. It was even reading 30 mpg during a construction zone going 50 mph. This was going up and down hills in from Indiana to Tennesee. The next day of Tennesee driving driving, 22 mpg was the best readout. Another day when we left for Geogia, it was back up to 24 mpg at 75 mph. THe miles to empty was reading over 600. We only went a little over 200 miles that day, but there was 190 miles at the 3/4 full mark. The norm has been 100. On the way back, the mileage slowly dropped. By the time I got back to Indiana it was reading 17.1 mpg-- 130 miles at the 3/4 full line.Filling up after that reading however, I noticed that the fuel gage was only at the 7/8 point and didn't go past F until 10 miles down the road, very slowly.After filling up , it was reading 19 mpg the rest of way home. SOmething isn't quite right but tell that to MR FORD. If this thing ran like it did for the first 1200 miles of ownership, I wouldn't have anything to complain about.!!!!!!!
  • tlagardetlagarde Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking at a base line Windstar LX (3 dr)with no frills...can anybody give me some ideas of what I should pay for a 2001? Thanks!
    Well, I really thought the dealership had this one licked...

I got my 95WS back from the dealership at the beginning of March... That was for engine number three. Put new tires on it last weekend... Now the temperature guage is "swinging" between the O and the L in NORMAL...

This sucks... Why do I believe them?
    Hello all remember me... the mom who is really tired of all the problems with my 1995 w/s and made a homepage about the dealer that sold it to me. Well, here I am again, just one week into my second engine since December. And my poor parking spot looks awful. it has new puddles, old puddles, dried puddles, all kinds of puddles... This latest leak I cant figure out though, I think it may be transmission fluid. I was going to place a paper bag under it today to get a accurate spot but it is raining and cant do it. The investigator from my consumer division called me on Sat. to state that he got a letter from the General Manager. This is what it says..
    "Through our efforts and partnership with Ford Motor Company, we were able to install a new (rmp) engine at no cost to Ms. Abrahams while providing her with comparable loaner transportation at no charge. At this point in time I believe she is happy with Ted Britt Ford."
    First of all... I am not even close to happy, Second, They did'nt do this out of the goodness of they're heart like he is making it sound. They have to replace the engine, and they have to provide me with a loaner, Its there policy. Remember they took that loaner away from me at one point because I made them really mad with my homepage and contacting an Attorney. And i'm happy???? I don't think so. Now there is some other leak, and just yesterday I did my own little test for the van missing and it's not a pretty thing. Place a glass of water on the top of the dash, put the car in park, nuetral and drive and watch the water in the glass, if it jumps around like a dancing bean then you got problems. Mine was doing flips in the air...lol I have to make funny on this at times, otherwise i'll drive myself insane.
    Oh and I wanted everyone to know that I ordered two bushels of lemons and when I picket the dealership in April, the lemons will be handed out to passer by's with the dealers name on them. Maybe this will show just how happy I really am.
    Thanks for all the support!!!!
    Lisa
  • jvirginiajvirginia Member Posts: 65
    Lisa,
    Ford has no idea how well and far your message is being delivered. On my way home from work last night I was behind a 2000 Ford Taurus with a license plate bracket from, you guessed it, Ted Britt Ford. I immediately thought of your story. I also noticed the passengers in the car next to me pointing at the bracket and heard them talking about the dealership and how they had a reputation for being deceptive. And I'm down here in southeastern Virginia. Keep up the fight.
  • hansorihansori Member Posts: 2
    Folks,
    I have been getting educated from this site, and I think it's my turn to return the favor. Today I bought a new SEL with side airbags, family security group and entertainment center. I would like to point out two things here.

1. I was eligible for so-called X plan (a discount plan for employees of Ford partner companies). However, it couldn't save me much money. I should say I could have lost a lot of bucks just because of that. What an irony... I was supposed to get a predetermined price, which is Ford employee price (so-called A plan) plus 4% extra. Anyway, I ended up not using it, because I could get even more discount and $400 college grad rebate (which I could not get with X plan). So, those who try to use this, please think twice. You could save a lot if you are willing to spend a little more time on dealing.

2. The price info on SEL page is not correct. The invoice and MSRP should be 28066 and 30805, respectively. At least they are the numbers on the paper I got from the dealer. Hope knowing this info could save you $200 more bucks.

I managed to get a good deal (at least to me) - $701 under invoice (excluding rebates). I am living in Boston area and let me know if you want more info on my deal.
    Thanks.

Cheers,
    Hank
  • sharonlpksharonlpk Member Posts: 37
    Got our new WS less than 2 weeks ago and enjoy it! Still have, for the time being, the '95 WS that helped finance this new one with the $4K CFC, neighbors must think we're crazy :-)

Anyway, I spent a bunch of time reading all of the posts here, and laughed out loud when I read a very early one about the disappointment with the floor mats...I Agree!! The '95 had plush mats, covered the whole van, even had the word "Windstar" on them... the new mats (in a van with quite a few upgraded features as well) are el cheapo, and don't even begin to cover the actual floor space in the van. So I stole the cargo mat from the '95, was glad we still had the van!

I agree with the 'sharpness' of the latch for the rear door... My husband thought I was crazy to moan about the floor mats and that latch, glad someone else feels the same way :-)

Am not sure that I like where some of the controls are now located, for example the rear window control (why only on the driver side? I liked it better in the center!) or the rear wiper control... Plus, my field of vision is much less due to the high headrests; does anyone know if they are removeable?

But so many new fun things! Like that the radio stays on after the engine is turned off, great when waiting to pick up kids from their events :-) Or the remote keyless entry so I can never lock the keys in again :-) Or being able to adjust which interior lights turn on when the key comes out of the ignition...

Don't know if we *really* needed a new van right now, but that $4K coupon was about to expire... !
  • sharonlpksharonlpk Member Posts: 37
    Well, about those floor mats again... it bothered me more and more that the new mats do not cover near as much of the area behind the front seats as I would like them to, so headed off to the dealership today to find out how much certain new ones would cost. Surprise, the ones I wanted, to put on the outside of the 2nd row seat where passengers step in the sliding doors, are no longer being made. At least according to the person in the parts dept. that I talked with.

Plus, supposedly, they also don't have any mats available for separate purchase that would be more 'custom-fit' to the 2nd and 3rd rows... as opposed to just the mats that came with the van...

I know that one of the reasons that the '95 WS we still have looks so good inside is because the floor mats basically covered every inch of the inside... never had to worry about whether a spill was on the mat or not...!

If anyone finds out that better 2001 custom mats do indeed exist, please post, thanks!!

Sharon
    Well - got the van back this week. If they didn't "FIX" the swinging thermostat they have, at least, minimized its movement. Now it only swings between the R and M in NORMAL. They stated that there was an "air bubble" in the cooling system.

Please, Please, Please... let this be the last time I see the service department for a while...

Hope yours treats you better than mine does!