Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Windstar

Comments

• beernutbeernut Member Posts: 329
    Yes, I do have the light package, but the interiors stay on for 45 to 60 minutes. That's a drag. If the relay could be set to 10 or 15 minutes, that would be suitable. There might be a single wire after the light delay relay that I can get to. The interior lighting fuse also runs the power windows, so a switch on it would kill everything. That's OK, I guess, but if anybody has a better idea, I'd appreciate hearing about it.
  • bostnwhalrbostnwhalr Member Posts: 128
    I know this sounds obnoxious....

How about making the Windstar more reliable for a change? How about a quieter, smoother, more sophisticated engine? (Oh yeah, that costs more, sorry for suggesting)

I'd consider a used Windstar if Ford had a couple of years of average reliability. But it seems they don't get any better. After 7 years (yeah, it was new for 99, but how new really?), you would think the Windstar would be flawless by now. Honda, who had some un-honda like bugaboos with the 99' Odyssey, improved their vehicle dramatically the following year. Even Chrysler seems to have gotten their act in gear since 1998. What's up with Ford?

I'm not an anti-Ford person. I actually own shares in the company and think they do make some great products. It's ironic how Ford can make the F150 to be quite a reliable truck nearly rivaling Toyota and yet the Windstar has been such a reliability disappointment (yeah, maybe the 2001's are better, but we won't know for sure for a while).

This fall, Honda's new factory in Alabama goes on line to make Odysseys. That will surely hurt Ford and the other domestic minivans even more. Brace yourself for $3,000 rebates up from $2,000 today.
  • roary0903roary0903 Member Posts: 1
    I am the proud owner of my first minivan ever and it happens to be a 1999 Ford Windstar. I have just a simple question..does anyone know how the back windows open? My saleswoman took the time to show me all the little details like air, wipers and seats but forgot this one important detail. I have scanned the owners manual with no luck and have considered taking it back to the dealer which happens to be about 50 miles away to see if they are jammed or broke. It appears that some clip flips but it will not budge, so I am afraid I am not doing it correctly and would hate to break the window. Any help would be appreciated...as I would hate to drive that 50 miles back to the dealer. Thanks!
  • crkeehncrkeehn Member Posts: 513
    Does anyone know if the spare tire carrier for the Windstar is capable of handling a full-sized spare tire? I had a blowout recently and changed the tire with the limited use spare but noticed that it carries a warning not to be used over 50 mph. At that time I was on a 65 mph expressway. At that time, a full service spare began looking very attractive. Luckily I was only a short distance from the exit ramp and with the air conditioning running and windows closed, couldn't hear the cursing of those following me.
  • barrye1barrye1 Member Posts: 13
    I believe all 99's have power rear windows. On the drivers side door panel, there should be 5 buttons. 1 for the locks, two for the front windows and 2 for the rear windows. I am not for sure that all the vans were equiped with the feature, but every other WS I have seen has them. Hope this helps.
    Yup, it should hold a full size tire. The Windstar has available options like "tow package", or whatever they call it, that come with a full size spare. Buying the option doesn't change the well or retractor, just the tire. One way to find out is to stick one up there.

The rear windows are probably powered. The operator "cams" on each window may look like what you call clip flips - don't force them - they will break. There should be a pair of switches somewhere in the cockpit marked only "Rear". That's them. If they don't work, check it out as a fuse issue or maybe a wiring thing.
    I suspected that it might, it appeared that the cutouts for the spare were wider than the temporary spare. I just didn't know if they were wide enough. Thanks
  • mikehaneymikehaney Member Posts: 14
    Sorry to hear you are suffering from the infamous head gasket problem. If I were you, I would run, don't walk, and get a Toyota or a Honda. We are going to sell our 99 Windstar, even though we haven't had any problems yet, because I have read too much about the Windstar's problems. I don't even feel like I can depend on the van to take family trips, etc., and I hate the thought of my wife and kids getting stranded somewhere.

You can buy Toyota Sienna's at a few hundred dollars over invoice, and they are offering special finance rates now. My wife and I were about to buy one, but we decided we like the Honda better. We are waiting a few months for the '02 Honda Odyssey to come out, which is supposed to have more goodies on it (240 hp engine, finally leather seats, video system, etc.). Unfortunately, I will have to pay MSRP, but that will actually be not much more than we paid for our Windstar.

I, too, hate having to spend more money, since we would have the Windstar paid for in another year and a half, but I would rather spend more money now to get a vehicle I know I can keep for 10 years with very few hassles. I know that would not be the case with the Windstar.

BTW - I have owned Fords all my life. I always believed that the American cars have come a long way in reliability. It's bull - the Japanese cars are far superior. That's why every rating you see (initial quality, long term reliability) favors the Japanese cars, and that's why the resale value is so pathetic for American cars. I saw the latest JD Powers survey results - only 2 American cars made it into the top 20, and they were both Chryslers. Half of them were Toyota/Lexus. I wish it wasn't that way, and I tried to deny it for a long time, but if you want to get the best built and most reliable vehicle for your money, you just can't buy American.
  • tony22rtony22r Member Posts: 45
    Hey folks check out:
    www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/recalls

It lets you see Recall details on various makes, models, and year.
  • tony22rtony22r Member Posts: 45
    for Blown Head Gasket repair under the (00M09 & 00M10) 7yr/100,000mi gasket replacement program
    Call Ford at: (800) 392-3673 to find out more.

Initially when my head gaskets blew and i contacted Ford they warned me that *I* would have to pay a $70 "Diagnostic Fee", and if the dealership felt that my vehicle had enough "symptoms" to warrant gasket replacement under 00M09/00M10, then my $70 would be reimbursed.
    I said "listen pal, 2 weeks ago all my warning lights came on, my engine was hesitating, chugging, knocking Badly, felt like it was running on 3 cylinders, was burning white smoke out the tailpipe, was consuming 1 gallon of coolant per week, and now it is sitting on Jackstands in my driveway waiting for the Tow Truck to tow it to the Ford Dealership!! How many more symptoms do you Need??"

Also, the dealership said all the Courtesy cars were already taken by Other owners with blown head gaskets! and they Refused to cover a rental car!

Anyways, the total cost of repairs was $1300 and took TWO weeks! But the "Extended Gasket Warranty" program only covered $1050!
    The dealership said *I* had to come up with $250!! I said WTF?!? WHY do I have to pay $250 for FORD's defective gaskets Scewing up MY engine??!!
    The dealership said the Warranty *only* covered gaskets and installation, but I was responsible for things like corroded spark plugs, block flush, oil, coolant, and waste disposal fees!!
    I just about got in my Ford and crashed it thru their dealership window!
    But decided to drive it home and put a For Sale sign on it instead... at least now that it was running again.

Over the years of (unhappy) ownership i have spent Thousands of dollars out of my own pocket for parts & service not covered by the recall/warranty, rental cars!, towing, time taken off work, etc.
    So with the Thousands of dollars i've WASTED i could've just bought a Toyota, Honda, or Nissan to begin with!!!
  • ozrod68ozrod68 Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased this vehicle and was dismayed to find that the belts do not cinch. I can't understand why Ford would fail to provide cinching belts in a family vehicle. I also just got a 2001 Expedition and this has cinching belts. Do all SEL's have the non-cinching belts? Has anybody had them replaced. All responses appreciated.
  • kschillikschilli Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 SE Sport and the seat belts will lock down but it is not a retraction type like previous windstars. The owners manual explains how it works but it took me a few times to figure it out. Basically, you need to grab the buckle on the belt by the metal part and lift it up. You then put the buckle into the lock. Then pull the belt through the buckle while it is in the lock and it holds. Apparently the buckle has some sort of locking clip built into it. Not as convenient as the retractions but it works fine.
    Good Luck
  • petergoergenpetergoergen Member Posts: 5
    My wife's Windstar has a blown brakelight. I'm not sure how to remove the tail light assembly. I removed the two top visible screws, but the assembly seems to be attached below in some way. Any help?

Thanks,
    Pete
  • eckel1eckel1 Member Posts: 2
    I am looking for any feedback on a Wind star. We are thinking of purchasing a 2000 Wind star with 15000 miles on it !!! Please give me feedback on how this vehicle stands up !!!
  • datsun71datsun71 Member Posts: 1
    Hi l just signed up and hoping for a response for my problem. the temp needle swings from the middle up to L position then back down again? I'm not loosing a-freeeze nor any other symptoms is this just a defective device or what!!!!!
  • suburbank2500suburbank2500 Member Posts: 29
    I know, with a name like mine, how could I own a Ford :). has anyone had problems with interior trim quality? My '98 GL has had interior trim above the sliding door pop off, and now the front seat trim underneath is coming off, catching my slacks (rippppp..) I'm a big guy, 6'5", size 17 feet, 285 lbs, so I'm not easy on things, BUT still..

Also, has anyone else noticed the SEVERE power drain when you load up 7 people, run both airs, and going on the interstate(freeway for you California types) Man does it chunk down, even with the 3.8!
  • wholiganwholigan Member Posts: 148
    This happened to me after my engine as replaced. They told me an air bubble was in the cooling system. I think if you take off the radiator (when the engine is cold) and let it warm us so the thermostat opens, you may find that the fluid level drops dramatically.

You are not loosing coolant - there is just not enough coolant in the system to keep the temperature guage sensor "submerged".

It is worth a shot anyway... Good Luck!
    2003 Honda Odyssey EX-LRES - Midnight Blue Pearl
    2004 Honda Accord EX-L Graphite Pearl
    2007 Honda Civic EX - Atomic Blue
    2013 Honda Civic LX - Crimson Pearl
  • clink1clink1 Member Posts: 4
    dear crkeehn, I have a 2001 ws and occasionally the speedo will jump from 85K to 110K like it seems to stick and then "wham" right to 110K.
  • vezinivezini Member Posts: 38
    Hey all:

When I step on the accelerator (i.e. merging in on the interstate) I can get some black exhaust. I can even see it in the rear view mirror.

Any thoughts on what this is?

Thanks!
    Taillights are removed with the two screws only. They are at the top of the light. There are an additional two retaining pins that hold it to the body on the outboard side of the fixture. They are removed by just pulling straight out. Don't try to bend or twist them. What makes removal confusing is that the weather stripping and sealants used between the body and the fixture are like glue and make the light very hard to pull off the first time, behaving as if there are additional fasteners.

Black smoke from the exhaust when the hammer is thrown down is probably normal rich fuel not burning clean. If it is accompanied by poor mileage, rough running, engine run-on or black smoke all the time, it could be computer or injector problems (= $$$). My recommendation is that you quit looking out the back when flooring it.
    Talk to your dealer, that is not normal behaviour and the car should be under warrantee
  • ralmoralmo Member Posts: 3
    The same happened to me on my 96 speedo,you have a stripped gear on the cable...I hate to be the one to tell you this,if it is,the cost is 400.00
  • zoolandzooland Member Posts: 2
    When braking at high speeds I get a big vibration on my 95. This seems to get more noticeable the longer I drive. I turned the rotors and replaced the pads. No good. I took it to a mechanic who installed new rotors and cleaned up the pads. Same story. I brought it back to him and he could find nothing wrong with it. Anyone have a similar problem?
  • lweisslweiss Member Posts: 342
    I had a 95 Windstar that we got in October 1994. It was decent performer but had the head gasket problem- that was replaced under warranty in early 2000 with about 75K on the vehicle. I took advantage of the special $4,000 credit for the new Windstar, and we took delivery of a 2000 Windstar SE in August of 2000, paying about $17,500 with trade and credits for a van that listed for $31,000. I can only say that the new one has better features, no problems whatever, mileage is a little less- about 15 to 18 mpg city. We have about 10K miles on the new van.

My only advice is to go with a good dealer: we usedTed Britt Ford in Fairfax, Virginia, and both the old Windstar and new one were sold and serviced with few hassles. I recommend them and hope that the new Windstar will continue to be problem free and enjoyable.
  • petersburg100petersburg100 Member Posts: 29
    We are interested in 2000 Ford Windstar LX w 20K miles for $16K but are scared about the reliability record of the vehicle. However, I went thru almost 500 e-mails noting that 95 % of the e-mails are related to MY95-99. The latest www.consumerreports.org also says that "the qty has improved over the years, MY00-01 being the best MYs". Am I correct? Has the qty really improved?
    Your advice is valid, go with a good dealer. With Ford especially, the satisfaction seems directly related to how good the dealer is. We were never happy with our nearest Ford dealer and drove about 10 miles past it to the next dealer over to get our two most recent cars.
  • minivan_buyerminivan_buyer Member Posts: 5
    Our 2001 SEL (3500 miles) recently developed "jerky" ride. The ride feels like someone is pushing the van every 1-2 seconds, i.e it feels like the van is speeding up a bit and slowing down a bit every few seconds. Overall it maintains the speed. Has anyone had similar ride on their Windstar?
  • homer61388homer61388 Member Posts: 54
    I am in a tough position right now. My wife and me are in the market for a minivan to haul around our kids and cargo as well as towing applications. I like the Chrysler, its ex./in. look very high class and it's powertrain is as smooth as glass, it also offers all-wheel drive. My wife on the other hand likes the Windstar with it's no bull engine that gets the job done(not in a very refined way though I hear) and 5 star safety. In any case though, both models have not been known for reliability and quality, which in our family, is a must. I've heard that Ford has had engine head gasket problems and Chrysler transmission problems, are those rumors? And we tend to haul around lots of gear and children, and in which model would they be most comfortable? We also do regular towing and camping and will the engine has enough power to haul us, a boat(3,200 lbs), and itself when we go on long road trips. Both have 3.8 liter V6s so it's a mystery to me of which performs better when hauling around this much. Also I've read that Ford offers a rear entertainment system, does Chrysler or is it an add-on after market. We just want a powerful minivan with all the luxuries of a sedan and the strength of a suv. If you have any suggestions please write back.
  • bjohnson71bjohnson71 Member Posts: 33
    If I were in your situation I would go with the Chrysler. Why?
    Better styling
    More horsepower
    More torque
    Third row split seat
    Newer design
    AWD
  • elvee1elvee1 Member Posts: 4
    Hi, I have the 99 model and I THOUGHT it had the ALR's. Those are the belts that once pulled ALL the way out, will "click" back in and STAY PUT. Very safe for youngsters in belt positioning booster seats, and also making it easy to secure the regular child safety seats too. We've not been able to make these work and the dealer is telling us that NO 99 windstars have these. Could this be true? I have three questions: does anyone reading this have this type of seat belt? Has anyone ever ordered the parts and installed them themselves (handy husband, here)? Does anyone know where I can go, call, or website to visit to see if this type of locking belt system is indeed supposed to be on this model?

I am desperate. When my kids were babies, in car seats, I just used lokcing clips and figured "oh well." But now that they are in belt-positiong boosters, I feel that these are very unsafe. In fact I have a friend who drives a Silhouette and she won't let her kids ride in my van because her kids move around too much and she fears a terrible injury if a crash should occur while a kid is reaching for something on the floor, or another seat or whatever. I am now nervous too!

I read the question below from the SEL model owner, and the answer. I'll try that seat belt buckle thingie...mabye that's how ours lock into place too?????

Any answers will really be appreciated, believe me. Preschool carpooling is just around the corner and I'd never be able to live with myself if a child was injured because I didn't know how to operate the belts properly.

Thanks....
    Nervous Nellie
  • cavillercaviller Member Posts: 331
    All the recent model Windstar's I've seen at child carseat checkup events have not had switchable locking retractors (the kind you pull out all the way to lock). Instead, to meet government lockability requirements, they use a lightweight locking latchplate (the male end that plugs into the buckle). This should be adequate to secure most carseats and keep the lap portion of the belt tight. With some carseats, you may find this type of latchplate may need to be flipped 180 degrees to cinch tightly, or you may still need a locking clip.

The Windstar, like all vehicles with locking latchplates, has an EMERGENCY locking retractor. This will lock the shoulder belt in a crash to secure an adult or child in a booster. While this gives passenger freedom to move, they will be at risk in a crash if they are not sitting properly. This type of retractor is also not any help if you own a booster that has a seatbelt guide that can cause the belt to "catch" and leaves too much slack around the child. Overall, not a big risk, and one that may require more supervision.

I've not heard of a retrofit to put an switchable locking retractor in a vehicle that has an emergency locking retractor, though it may be possible.

If you are still concerned, there are some restraints with higher weight limits that don't depend on a shoulder belt like a booster does. The Britax Laptop is rated to 65 pounds. The Britax SuperElite has a harness that goes to 80 pounds, though it must be tethered after 50 pounds. The Fisher Price Futura comes in a harness version up to 60 pounds. Simpson Racing will have a seat on the market soon with a harness rated to 60 pounds. The Fisher Price Futura (discontinued) and Britax Super Elite (new) may be hard to find, unfortunately.

Though I also prefer vehicles with switchable locking retractors, they are not without issues. In some carseats, they can cause an excessive tilt because the shoulder belt portion has tension and may pull one side of the carseat up, depending on the path for the seatbelt. Overall, the Windstar is one of the most carseat friendly vehicles. Other manufacturers should follow Ford's lead on LATCH and tether implementations, too.
  • matycatmatycat Member Posts: 12
    Please check out message number 598 under Ford Windstar Problems for very important information that may benefit you.
  • salvo1924salvo1924 Member Posts: 1
    97 windstar has 35,000 mi. while braking at low speed i hear a grind in front brakes much like when you would need new brakes. mechanic put new struts and cut rotors brake pads were fine. still have the grind. i dont want to take it back to this mechanic because i think he is just guessing, but with low miles i doubt struts needed changing. may have to take it to the dealer. feed back please.
  • olear47olear47 Member Posts: 1
    I recently developed a problem with the van. The
    electronic instrument panel does not light up, the
    electric door locks do not work , and the cruise
    control is not functioning. I discovered a fuse
    (#19)in the van is probably the culprit. However,
    when I replace the fuse it blows out. Is anyone
    aware of any electrical recalls that may be causing this problem?
  • maw1982maw1982 Member Posts: 62
    Hi,

I am looking at a '95 Windstar LX. It is fully loaded including leather, CD, and fog lamps. It has 75k miles and is being offerred at $5500.

I know that there were many problems with this car. I owned a '93 Sable LS that blew a head gasket at 92k miles. I donated the car because I felt it was not worth fixing and I did not need a car at the time. I now need a car and want something like my sable but with the versatility of a minivan.

I like this van because it has digital gauges and keyless entry, whch were two features I found very useful in my sable but are now impossible to find on newer cars:

I want your feedback. I know only one person who has owned an LX van and she did not have a chance to experience major problem with it because it was totaled in feb. 2000.
    The 95's seemed to be very troublesome, with engine, transmission and electrical problems. There is a reason why the van is so cheap. You might want to look elsewhere.
  • autolover3autolover3 Member Posts: 53
    I have heard about Ford and their head gasket problem from the '90's. Is this still the case or have they "corrected" the problem w/ the later years? Thanks in advance.
    The book is still open on that one. Certainly the matter has improved with the 1996 and newer vans, critics will argue that they have just not been in service long enough.

I had purchased my 96 Windstar in 1997 and at that time there were already a large number of posts about problems with the 1995 engines. Problems arose very quickly, not long out of warrantee. Although there have been some complaints about problems with 96 and newer, there have certainly not been as many, nor as early a problem as with the 95's. In 1996 the engine power for the Windstar 3.8L engine was bumped from 150+ hp to 200 hp. At the same time there was a redesigned head gasket design. In 1997, the head gasket was redesigned yet again, the 1997 might be the most troublefree of all the Windstars.

Other Ford cars that used the 3.8L engine didn't benefit from the modifications made to the Windstar engine and the head gaskets on those may continue to be problematic.
  • autolover3autolover3 Member Posts: 53
    As always, it is nice to hear information from educated people willing to take time to answer questions. Thanks for the above advice. These posts sure come in handy. Thank you.
  • mweitzhandlermweitzhandler Member Posts: 8
    We sued Ford in small claims court because of head gasket / engine failure in our 96 Windstar. We were awarded $3600 in damages. A field service engineer from Ford testified (for Ford) at the trial that the 3.8L V6 engine in Windstars has NOT been changed. Ford did change the cooling system in 96 and later models. The reason that there are fewer postings of 96 and later models with head gasket failure is twofold:
    1)Ford sold fewer Windstars in 96 and later models (introduction of remodeled Chrysler van in 96 and later appearance of Sienna and Odyssey took away sales from Windstar). Their sales are down 30% this year. Secondly, most head gasket failures with Windstars occur between 50000 and 80000 miles. 96 and later models are increasingly accumulating this mileage level and the number of head gasket complaints with respect to 96 and later models is accordingly rising.
  • jvirginiajvirginia Member Posts: 65
    You're right. Many of us have done our best to convey this point to unsuspecting buyers. At this point, the only comment left to make to new purchasers of new and used Ford vehicles with 3.8 liter engines is: You have been informed, advised, and warned of past failures and continuing deficiencies. Good luck to you all.
  • theknuthstheknuths Member Posts: 1
    Hello all,

I have the oppurtunity to purchase a 1997 Windstar LX with 60K miles on it for $10,000. The vehicle has new tires and is loaded with almost all the goodies of this model year. The vehicle has a buzz coming from the instrument cluster when driving at high speeds and the passenger door weatherstriping is slightly torn, otherwise it drives great (tons of power!).

Is this a good deal? Should I expect a price under $10000? Should I hold out for a Nissan Quest for the same price?
  • davids1davids1 Member Posts: 411
    I saw a 1999 model with 50K miles the other day for $12,000 on a dealers lot. $10,000 for yours sounds high.
  • mweitzhandlermweitzhandler Member Posts: 8
    This vehicle is in the mileage area where these vehicles experience head gasket failure ($2000 to replace)/ engine failure ($4500 to replace & you'll only get a 1 yr 12000 warranty)/ transmission failure (also $2000 to replace). Windstars have 100 x the rate of the above failures compared to other manufacturers. The 3.8 V6 engine in the 97 is the SAME engine that is in the 94 & 95 Windstars. Ford had a buyback program to buy back these vehicles last year and they only offered $6600. Consider yourself forewarned.
  • trankin1trankin1 Member Posts: 5
    Jerry, I've gone through court ordered (& Ford requested) arbitration to try to settle our suit in Small Claims Court without going to trial. Ford was just feeling us out to see if we had any real ammunition and refused to negotiate at all. Now we're just waiting for the trial date to be set, but I need your help.
    Ford's defence in this case will be that the blown head gasket and subsequent repair were in no way related to the complete engine blowing just 7 months later. These two repairs have cost ME over $6000, and I will not let Ford get away with looking the other way on this. There is no question that the blown head gasket forced the coolant into the cylinders which ultimately caused the engine to seize.
    My question is...Are you, or anyone else out there, aware of ANY documentation that would support this fact. The arbitrator stated that THIS would be the most important piece of evidence that I could present to the court. If you'd prefer to contact me directly, my e-mail address is rankins@elgin.net
  • jvirginiajvirginia Member Posts: 65
    I'm not sure exactly what your attorney is looking for, but Ford's own notification letter sent to owners of vehicles covered by the warranty extension indicates that extensive engine damage/failure could occur from premature failure of head gaskets.

The following websites also offer additional recent (June and September 2001) articles which confirm the above statement:

http://www.autosafety.org/autodefects/FORD-3.8L.htm

http://www.autosafety.org/pressreleases/GASKET.htm

Here are some excerpts from the above sites:

"The notification, Ford Service Campaign 98M01, warned owners that "premature failure of head gaskets could cause engine failure."

"Head-gasket repairs can cost $1,000. But if coolant damages the engine, it may need more serious work, which can cost $3,000 or more."

"What is the head gasket? It seals the top of the engine, or cylinder head, to the bottom of the engine. When it leaks, it can allow coolant to escape. If the coolant leaks inside the engine, or the engine overheats badly, the engine can be destroyed.

What are the symptoms of failure? Ford says the symptoms are persistent and worsening overheating; heavy, white smoke from the tailpipe; a flashing warning light for "low coolant;" and the constant loss of coolant. Some customers also reported that the heater stopped generating heat before the gasket failed."

There is even an example of an engine failing within 10,000 miles after the head gaskets were replaced from the original damage:

"...Then in August 1999 with roughly 77,000 miles on the odometer, a mechanic told her the head gasket was gone and soon she was going to need a new engine, which would be about $3,000.

Edwards didn't have the money for a new engine, so the Sable sat for three months until a friend made some free, stopgap repairs including a new head gasket. That allowed her to drive it another 10,000 miles until May 2000 when the engine died ..."

Also see the following site for a view of the Ford Service Campaign 98M01:

http://home.att.net/%7Eccatanese/ford/SP_98M01x.htm

I hope this helps.

Thanks a million Jerry. That info should really help us out. I'll keep you posted on how this all shakes out in court.
    ps - no lawyers, this is a Canadian Small Claims court...just me and my wife against Ford's lawyer in front of a judge.
    Thanks again
  • davids1davids1 Member Posts: 411
    Thought you said no lawyers. Why does Ford get to have trained legal representation while you have to fend for yourself. Hiring an attorney may not be a bad idea.
    Both parties are entitled to have legal representation, but it's a matter of economics. The most I could get, with or without a lawyer, would be $6000. (it was raised to $8000 less than a month after I filed...sorry about my luck) If I won the case and was awarded the full $6000, it wouldn't quite cover what this fiasco has cost me, WITHOUT including my own lawyer fees. If I loose, I would be out my $75 filing fees + court costs + Ford's legal fees (I think) + my own Lawyer's fees.
    As much as I want to show Ford that I won't allow them to screw me and just walk away... I have to be realistic about the financial losses that I've suffered so far, and how much more I could potentially incur before this is all over.
    Did I mention I'll NEVER EVER BUY A FORD PRODUCT AGAIN?
    thanks for your interest...as I said, I'll keep this forum posted on how this case shakes out
  • pregympregym Member Posts: 2
    We are researching failure of 2000 SEL power sliding doors. The passenger side door kicks back open and will not latch closed. Ours has been in 5 times and still malfunctions on & off. Trying to get a buy back from the dealer or replacement. This is a safety issue. Just started the process. Looking for anyone who has been through this ordeal