Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Older Acura TLs

Comments

• paulg54paulg54 Member Posts: 60
    It's for the towing hook that is with the tools. Page 251-252.

Has anyone looked at their spare tire? The aluminum wheel is awesome! Made by Enkei. I want a set for my car---- :) With the tires, it ought to handle great.
  • igibanigiban Member Posts: 530
    I actually think the traditional front holder to be more driving friendly as your eye angles will be more in line with driving's. The one on the center is not but maybe that's why they pre-size it for different coins so you don't have to look at it for getting them. I see only three sizes in the US TL. Do they fit only quarters, dimes, and nickels?
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    Mine's in my back pocket.
  • dulnevdulnev Member Posts: 652
    "Mine's in my back pocket"

You must not have any tolls in Canada. It would be incredibly hard and dangerous to get coins out of the back pocket every time you had to pay a toll.

To igiban, yes the reason there are three sizes and the reason they are arranged this way (quarters in the middle) is so that you can get the coins out without taking your eyes off the road. Works for me!
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    There are very few tolls that I can think of. There is one that I know of on a highway going to the interior of BC.

So I almost never need to dig coins out of a coin holder.
  • mdhaukemdhauke Member Posts: 202
    All I can say is wow. I got the 6spd with Nav Articellic/ Ebony, the only 6spd coming into the dealership for the whole month. What a color combination. Striking to look at. What a car. I spent 3 hours in it last night getting familiar with the Navigation system and all the gadgets. Spent 3 hours in the car and spent it all on the handsfreelink. What a convenience. I am still getting used to the speed and the 6-speed. I previously drove a 5-speed Camaro and this thing puts that car to shame. This car definitely has 10 times more speed than you’ll ever need. My Camaro was RRD and this FFD vehicle puts it to shame in handling. There is a 90 degree curve close to my house and the TL navigates it fine at high speeds. Even though I have driven stick the last 7 years I have to admit I have killed the TL a few times. I killed it 4 times alone coming out of the dealers parking lot with all of the watching me, how embarrassing :) But I have gotten use to it. I haven’t experienced any of the complaints yet and the Satellite radio is awesome. To those debating getting this car definitely get it, or at the very least test drive it before you buy another vehicle.
  • 03oddity03oddity Member Posts: 60
    when the '05s are due out? (I have until July 15 on present Saab lease.) I can think of three reasons to hold out until the last moment:

1. Second-year reliability--fewer squeaks and rattles, maybe a tire fix.

2. Chance of new and exciting color combos.

3. Possibility of irresistible incentives on remaining '04s--understanding that late model-year cars take an especially hard depreciation hit. OK if you plan to buy and hold.

Anybody on the board with inside info, or even Acura's typical m.o.?
  • mdhaukemdhauke Member Posts: 202
    There may be no 04's left at the end of the year. They way they are selling you definately won't find any NAV units but may find some non-Nav at the end of the year.
  • kphkph Member Posts: 40
    I believe Honda model years start in October. You may see '05s toward the end of September or starting to flow in during October. Watch car supply in June-July to predict whether there will be stock to clear at the end of the year or if the lot will be empty waiting for the new ones.
    "3. Possibility of irresistible incentives on remaining '04s--understanding that late model-year cars take an especially hard depreciation hit. OK if you plan to buy and hold."

Acura NEVER offers incentive on TLs until the end of the model life. By "model" I don't mean the annual update, but only the major 4-year cycle update.
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    Congratulations. You've got exactly the car - 6 speed, Nav, anthracite/ebony - that I will be getting if I decide to go for one now, as opposed to waiting until the 2005 model. I've been quoted $1,500 under MSRP on any new TL, Nav or not, from my former hometown dealer. Does that sound good, fair, or try harder?

By the way, in test driving the 6-speed last week, I didn't have trouble adjusting to the clutch, but the acceleration didn't seem smooth. I had the accelerator depressed to a certain level and the accleration seemd to come on slow, speed up and then slow down a lot through the rev band. Didn't feel as smooth as my Maxima 5-speed and didn't feel like the V-tech kick in on my S2000, so I'm not sure how to describe it. How's yours??
    And the other two for dimes and nickels? Would penny fit any slot. This may be very minor, but any ones with kids will visit MD or BK and get coins back, and I hate to keep these coins in my pockets. I saw a little bin on the back of the center storage. Maybe that can be used for these misc stuff.
  • newwestdnewwestd Member Posts: 157
    mdhauke - Congratulations! I've had mine since November and it's STILL WOW!

03oddity - The schedule for the 05s will probably be about the same as the 04s - October-ish. You will need to rent for a while if you want to wait for the 05s.

However, the only thing worth waiting for might be colors - assembly details and tires would surely be running changes if Acura sees fit to make them. Any savings by cutting the cost will surely be outweighed by the cost of providing an "in-between" car from June to October.

Good Luck!
    No slot for pennies, unfortunatelly. But that idea about the small compartment at the back of the center console may be a great one. I'll try it today!
  • rich48rich48 Member Posts: 21
    I'm concerned about the performance of the TL in the snow.. Has anyone had any experience driving it in the winter weather?
  • brew99brew99 Member Posts: 86
    I know that there were several posts earlier regarding premium unleaded vs. regular unleaded, but not sure if anyone provided an opinion on octane levels higher than 91. One particular retailer up this way has a 94 octane product which is $0.02/litre more expensive than the other guys who sell 91 octane. Any thoughts on whether the 94 would be better than the 91 from a performance perspective or gas mileage perspective?
    TL is a FWD vehicle with a traction control system and stability control system. It performs GREAT in the winter WITH A GOOD SET OF TIRES! And the standard Turanza's EL42 are NOT a good set of tires.

I got myself Falken ZIEX 512 and the car is amazing in the snow. I had a boat load of fun driving through snowy local streets during the last couple snow storms in the North East.
  • nowakj66nowakj66 Member Posts: 709
    Is an AWD TL possible in this cars run? Likely?
  • automophileautomophile Member Posts: 780
    Honda is so secretive, that we won't know anything about it until it is released.
    I strongly suspect AWD will make it's way into the TL. Check out Forbes.com for a rather unflattering article on Acura and the company's performance. Acura needs to be a little more creative in not just offering "glorified Hondas" if it is going to compete with Lexus and Infiniti. Except for the MDX, Acura sales as a company were down last year and they are losing market share. A serious luxury car (not the wannabe RL) and an AWD TL would certainly help, especially since the new TL is consistently praised for everything BUT it's FWD setup.

Brew99: I've had to use mid grade 91 octane when premium (93 octane) was not avialable in my S2000. I noticed a slight difference in both acceleration and highway mileage. The S2000 magnifies everthing, but I suspect that the V-tech engine in the TL would also be slightly affected, especially if you have a 6-speed.
  • kahunahkahunah Member Posts: 448
    dulnev is right, the Turanza's just won't cut it in the snow. I have dedicated performance winter tires on my 6-speed TL and it's the only way I'll travel in winter. With this setup, you don't need to spend thousands more for AWD.

Brew99: I normally put in Sunoco 92 octane but for long hauls to cottage country with a full load, I'll fill the tank with 94. I get slightly better mileage and passing power.
  • rcsguyrcsguy Member Posts: 4
    This probably isn't the proper forum, but here goes...

I was able to locate a brand new (about 300 miles) '03 Lexus GS300 Sport Design for about $37k. This seems like a good price; or should I go for an '04 Acura TL w/ Navi (approx $34k)? Probably not the best comparison but just wanted some opinions before I spend all my hardearned money ;) (always have been a fan of Acura, my '91 Integra has 194k miles)
    Thanks!
  • kahunahkahunah Member Posts: 448
    Both are very fine automobiles but the TL offers more power, more standard features, better gas mileage and a 6-speed manual (if desired) for thousands less.

Although the GS is RWD, Consumer Reports writes, "Though competent, these rear-drive cars (GS300/GS430) lack the optimal ride-and-handling balance of the BMW 5-Series and Mercedes-Benz E-Class. Handling is capable but unexceptional."
  • morehpmorehp Member Posts: 30
    rcsguy, have you driven these cars? I think ultimately it should come down to personal preference because these 2 cars have distinctly different "flavors."

The TL is much more of a sports sedan. As Kahunah points out, it offers the 6-speed (if you're interested), considerably more power and despite the FWD config, sharper handling (IMO).

OTOH, when it comes to luxury, the Lexus is clearly superior in terms of powertrain refinement, smoothness, quietness, and interior features/materials (e.g. nicer leather, real wood, power tilt/telescoping wheel, a power passenger seat that goes up&down and has a heated backrest AND cushion....)

You should also consider that although both Lexus & Acura have excellent reputations, Lexus is the undisputed industry leader in quality, reliability and durability. Furthermore, the TL is a brand new design whereas the GS is now is its 7th (!) season. You should expect fewer problems with the GS. OTOH, the design is certainly getting long in the tooth and is due for revision this fall.

Only you can decide if GS's virtues make it worth 3K more for an "older" car.
  • danny1878danny1878 Member Posts: 339
    I dont know much about GS300 but I'm sure its a fine car. Go and test drive both of them.

Morehp is correct, the car is 7 years old model, but its your money and its your decision. Just buy a car that suit you best.

A little data from TL for comparison but you need to compare it your self.

PERFORMANCE
    0-60 –> 5.7 secs, 0-100 –> 14.2 secs, 1/4 mile –> 14.4 secs, slalom 600 feet –>67.4 mph, 270 hp, top speed 155 from various sources.

LUXURY OR STANDARD FEATURES
    Xenon headlights, fog lights, Leather upholstery, Real aluminum trim, 10 way power and multi level heated seats with memory seats for 2 drivers. Driver’s power lumbar, Tilt and telescopic steering wheel, 8 speaker and an industry first 225 watt 5.1 surround sound system that play DVD and CD (6 in-dash disc changer)
    Satellite/ XM radio, steering wheel audio control
    One touch windows and power moon/sun roof
    Reverse tilt dual side mirror and heated side mirror
    Auto dual zone climate control, trip computer, memory side mirror for 2 drivers
    Embedded remote control for garage, universal remote for home link security feature.
    Automatic dimming mirror
    Drive by wire, LSD, Vehicle stability Assist(VSA), Traction control, ABS.
    17x8 inch wheel with 235/45 (wider) tire.

COMFORT (TL with navigation)
    Almost every instrument in TL can be operated by voice command available in man/woman voice. For example:
    just say to computer “ Radio on”, “DVD play previous disc”, “Climate control off”, “rear defrost”, “temperature up” or “down”, etc.
    If the computer didnt hear what you said, it will say “Pardon”
    If you say “Dial 123-4567-890" and the car will say “dialing”
    If you say “phone book, store” and the car will answer “What name would you like to store”
    If you say “list” then it will say “John...Mary....Jim” and if you say “call” then it will ask you “Would you like to call Jim”
    If you say “Display current location”, it will say your current location
    If you say “Go home” it will tell you how to get home from your current location in voice
    If you say “Display nearest ATM/Restaurant/Gas station/Shopping/bank etc” then it will lead the way how to get there.

RIDE QUALITY
    The new design and usage of high tensile steel (ding resistant steel) makes TL more quieter than 530i, G35 and ES300

POPULARITY
    Consumer report rank TL #1 over 330i in 2004
    Motor week named TL “Best sport sedan 2004"
    Yahoo news named TL “Best high-tech car 2004"
    Leading consumer named TL “Best performing upscale sedan 2004"
    Motoring TV 2004 named TL “Best sport sedan 2004"
    Car and driver rank TL third but 325i second

Sales report jan 2004 : GS300 -> 690 units 10.1% drop than last year, TL –>5036 units, G35 sedan->3382 units, 330i ->less than 1000 units
    Anyone uses one of those mobile GPS for less than $1K on a non-Nav TL?
  • igorvodovigorvodov Member Posts: 14
    Yes, I am using the complete navigation solution from alk.com. Their sell little PocketPCs which you can easily attach to the vents just above the CD/Radio. The GPS antenna is attached to the PocketPC and it is quite small. It works great.
    I wanted to buy a GS, several times. However, Lexus uses the same short, crappy, unsupportive seats in all their cars. There is simply NO thigh support. I LOVED my ES, but I couldn't drive it for more than 15 minutes before my right leg would start to cramp up. For trips I had to fold up a towel to put under my leg for support. I finally traded in the ES for a Solara with FABULOUS seats (it's all Toyota, so go figure!).

The Seats in the TL are MUCH better than the GS in terms of support, and also hold you better for spirited driving. The TL also has a much cleaner, sharper design (IMO)that will not be out of date next year. I feel that the TL in general is a much better looking car.

The GS interior may be a little better, AND you can get the Black interior with the White exterior (my personal favorite) something that Honda seems to have a problem with.

Good Luck!
    How do you enter addresses, by touch (the small)screen, or by using one of these Palm pens? I am looking for one that's closest to a built-in in terms features, but mobile and cheaper.
    I'm interested in the source of your performace data you quoted for the TL. Those figures are not far off from my Honda S2000 and although the TL 6-speed felt quick to me, it didn't feel that quick. The handling wasn't even remotely in the same league.

Also, regarding a 155 top speed, that is really suspicious. As a friend who has spent a lot of time on the Autobahn has told me, anyone who drives a FWD car over 120 is qualified for free admission to the local insane assylum. Not that it matters here in the US, but any car made by BMW/Mercedes would be a much safer bet than any car made by Honda/Acura (save for the NSX/S2000) in terms of high speed driving.
  • rcsguyrcsguy Member Posts: 4
    Thank you kahunah, morehp, danny, and automophile for you input. I did testdrive both vehicles. I liked the TL more, but my wife's b-day was coming up and thought I would get her the GS and I would take her old Accord EX-V6 coupe (aren't I nice?) But after thinking it through... I am getting the TL for me! muhaha. Black on black w/ Navi.
    Thanks again for everyone's advice!
    I have to say though, I couldn't find a better deal on a new '03 GS 300 Sport Design anywhere! (crystal white w/ dark gray leather, very sweet)
  • danny1878danny1878 Member Posts: 339
    5.7 secs 0-60 car and driver website
    155 mph modern racer website
    67.5mph slalom edmund
    I gtg to a dentist but check on TOV website, motorweek etc. you will find them

Your autobahn friend is corect, but I will add that anyone who drive more than 120 mph these days is qualified for a free stay in county jail.
  • prattsterprattster Member Posts: 59
    Speaking of insane driving there was a real stupid kid who took his dads 94' Legend sedan below up to past 135 and rolled several times negotating a curve and lived through it. Testament to how well built the big Ack was and some real good ol luck.

http://www.imagestation.com/mypictures/inbox/view.html?id=4186055- - - 003&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.imagestation.com%2Fpicture%2Fsraid10- - - 5%2Fp794842c11a5449861632ab319c2d288d%2Ff982215b.jpg&caption=- - - legendcrash
  • car3car3 Member Posts: 27
    Acura sales were down last year because the TL was in its last year of bodystyle and a new Accord came out. The new Accord made the 03 TL look like old news. The TL and MDX arew Acura's main sellers. This has nothing to do Acura being in inferior when compared to Lexus or Infinti.
  • legend91legend91 Member Posts: 14
    My local dealer (atlanta) claims that bridgestone "reformulated" the EL42s and new TLs are now being deliverd with these new tires.

Anybody know anything about this? I am about to buy one but worry about all the tire problems I read about in this forum.

Thanks
  • phkckphkck Member Posts: 185
    I too have been scared with all I read about the tires (Bridgestone) on the TL's. I picked my TL last Saturday (Build date of Feb) and am very happy with the ride. The tires are loud on some concrete freeways here around Kansas City. But, they are only noticeable until I have the stereo on at a normal level.
  • pmf13pmf13 Member Posts: 68
    OK, hopefully for the last time, is there a consensus on the best choice for replacement tires on the TL for a Northeastern climate? The choices appear to be:

Bridgestone Turanza LS-Z
    Pirelli P Zero Nero M&S
    Continental ContiExtreme Contact
    Falken ZIEX ZE512

I'm looking for an all season tire rather than maintain two sets as snowy road conditions really only exist in the city a few days a year. All opinions gratefully received.
    I just checked out the TL and TSX tonight. I had seriously considered a TSX last year and ended up getting a 2003 EX Leather 5speed Accord instead.

I was surprised how similar in size the TSX and TL are. The TL is larger a few inches in some dimensions. On the inside, especially they felt very similar. I guess this makes sense because they are based on the same platform but it really struck me.

I love the front and profile of the TL. I have to say that from the rear, I think the TSX looks best.

On interior elements, the TL was definitely the sharpest, with high-end metal accents throughout as opposed to painted plastic in the TSX.

I did drive a TSX last year and drive an Accord EX 5 speed every day. So the advantage in the TL must be more pronounced when they are driven.

From an external appearance perspective, I’d have to say the TSX appeals the most to me.
  • rich48rich48 Member Posts: 21
    Dear nowazj66:

For your info the TL and the TSX are not based on the same car. The TSX is based on the Honda Accord sold in Europe. The TL is based on the Accord sold in the US...different cars.
  • kenm8kenm8 Member Posts: 71
    Car and Driver Magazine thinks that the Acura TL needs an AWD version. Knowing that Honda/Acura has Pilot/MDX SUVs with AWD, could/would they adapt it to the Acura TL? Also, what is the market for AWD on a car?

It would be interesting to see the USA sales figures for the FWD and AWD versions of the Audi 1.8 sedan, VW Passat and Infiniti G35 (fairly new) since these are somewhat close in concept to the Acura but in a lower price class. Is there that large a market for AWD on cars? Subaru, which is a small niche player, has AWD on all cars and has a loyal customer (Subies?) following.

It seems that AWD would be a benefit if one drove a lot in the rain or the snow or on dirt or gravel roads. Then you could justify the added initial expense, maintenance costs, lower gas mileage and hauling around an extra 100+ pounds of weight. I wonder what the reliability is on Subaru, Audi or VW AWD cars? Can these cars go 200K-250K miles without repair to drive mechanicals as will a Honda FWD?
  • mjc440mjc440 Member Posts: 76
    Yes, I think the TL definitely needs AWD. A $33K car with front wheel drive is a waste. The TL would be a great car that could go up against the 3 Series or G35 if it had AWD.

Acura would be able to sell so many more TLs if it offered optional AWD. I'm sure the engineers at Honda can figure out how to put a rear axle and center differential on a TL platform.

Regarding reliability, I wouldn't place too much confidence on Audi or VW reliability (check Consumer's Reports). Subarus, however, are known for their reliability. (Maybe not quite up to par with the reliability leaders - Toyota and Honda - but they're close.) Every Subaru made has AWD, so Subaru has the AWD system pretty much perfected.
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    Pirelli sucks. The best All Season tire is the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S. It's also the most expensive, but you get what you pay for. Some of the newer tires are getting ratings close to the Michelins. Check tirerack.com survey results for comparisons.
  • hydra2hydra2 Member Posts: 114
    The fwd tl seems to be selling rather briskly, especially the navi models. It is probably a toss up whether honda will offer an awd tl. They have a history of avoiding vehicles with low sales potential. Awd sedans have low sales numbers, probably why most makes don't post their sales numbers separately from the two wheel makes.

Awd sedans tend to exact a penalty that most buyers are unwilling to pay. Subies are reliable, but underpowered(except turocharged models), cramped, limited trunk space and a bit pricey with rather bland interiors. Audis are cramped, costly and unreliable in spite of their great interiors and excellent handling. I shouldn't even mention the crude, overpriced x type. MB and BMW tend to be unreliable and underpowered or unreliable and costly.

An awd tl with power, mpg, reliability and price that shames its rivals from Japan and Germany would certainly look good in the ads. The jury is still out on whether Honda thinks that it would sell in sufficient numbers to justify the added expense of offering it. They make more money selling the higher margin mdx anyway.
    use the same platform how come TL's smaller cabin and smaller trunk? Where's the same area used on TL vs. Accord to have that virtual shrinkage?
    As much as I think Acura has pushed the limits of FWD in the TL - both in terms of power and price - AWD will not suddenly transform the TL into a BMW competitor.

The current FWD TL already weighs 3,500 lbs. Adding AWD will likely boost that to 3600-3700 lbs, over 400 more than a 330i and 200 lbs more than a 530i. Weight balance will still be decidedly front heavy. And the AWD system will be essentially a FWD car in everyday driving and handling unless wheel slippage occurs. Even then, the bias is strongly in favor of the front wheels.

Alternatively, the 330xi is a RWD based AWD and in normal driving handles much better than any FWD based AWD system.

The new TL is an attractive package, but a true sports sedan it is not and AWD won't make it so. If Acura wants to take on BMW in that department, it will need to develop RWD models. Period. In the meantime, however, I will still keep the TL on my shopping list as one of the most attractive and best performing FWD replacements for my Maxima when the time comes.
    For those who have driven all 3 latest Honda / Acura Sedans with manuals, how did they compare?

I have driven Accord and TSX 4 cylinder manuals but not the TL. I did also test a V6 Accord Coupe stick, which felt like a monster in the engine power.

Of the Sedans, the TSX definitely felt sportier and more nimble in the handling department than the 4 cylinder Accord.

I am guessing the TL stick has that "power to spare feel" that the Accord Coupe does. I guess I will just have to test drive one and find out. Any impressions in this regard would be helpful though.
  • bryannbryann Member Posts: 54
    i really like the tires from toyo. they make a variety of sports performance tires that will suit your flavor. go to http://toyo.com/tires/index_frame.html

just something to look at since they are really resonable priced and great quality. have had 3 sets total so far. 2 sets on a 1998 nissan maxima se and the ride quality is great. just my $.02
  • kenm8kenm8 Member Posts: 71
    Is an Acura TL RWD version in the works? (Perhaps the designation could be TLF for FWD and TLR for RWD?) Some have speculated that the new Acura RL due out soon will be RWD. With the experience gained by Honda in developing a sedan RWD, would they then apply this to an Acura TL version? How about also a RWD pickup to compete with Ford F150?

Honda already has experience with small RWD convertibles with their S2000 model. Didn’t the S2000 significantly beat out similar models from MB and BMW in Edmunds and other road tests in the very first year that it was produced? Did it not also beat out a Porsche mid-engine car? Looks like Honda already knows how to apply RWD to a vehicle and beat out the world leaders in this area.

Seems that Honda has been hugely successful in whatever products, markets and ventures they target. Their auto sales results and reliability are well chronicled. They excel in many other areas such as motorcycles, power generators, lawn mowers, etc. Also, haven’t Honda racing engines done well in IRL, CART and F1 over the last decade?

Given that the TL FWD already outshines (overall per Consumer Reports) the RWD BMW 3 series, can one even imagine by how much more a RWD TL would beat and outperform the RWD BMW 3 and 5 series? What then would the purists say?

Is it not easier to engineer a RWD rather than a FWD car? Could BMW even be competitive with more FWD cars? It would be interesting to see the BMW corporation expand their front wheel drive offerings to see how well they would do against the sedans of Acura, Audi, Lexus, Saab and others.
  • johnny420johnny420 Member Posts: 473
    I've test-driven all three, and ended up purchasing the TSX 6 sp.

1. TSX: nimble, smooth-shifting, zippy and very taut-riding. Excellent interior, though the cabin is a bit cramped if you're used to a larger car. Adequate trunk space. Cramped rear seat room. Could use more power, but it's definitely not underpowered. Gas mileage is not as good as you'd expect; I've averaged about 22.5 MPG over the first 2800 miles. Very nice car, very solid. I've experienced none of the well-documented rattle problems so far (knock on wood).

2. Accord EX V6: Outstanding smooth drivetrain, great power from the V6. Unfortuneately no MT in sedan form, but the coupes 6 MT is characteristically very similar to the TSX's and TL's. Handling in coupe or sedan form is no where near as good as the TSX, or TL for that matter, but still acceptable. They exhibit typical nose-heavy understeer qualities. Better ride quality than the TSX over rough surfaces. Much roomier cabins with more storage space than the TSX or TL.

3. TL: combines the best qualities of the TSX and Accord, in that it has the great V6 power along with taut, sporty handling. I didn't drive the AT version, but the MT has outstanding brakes, good acceleration, sweet exhaust note, excellent interior, good cabin room and is just flat fun to drive. If I could've afforded it, this would've been the car I bought. Trunk space in the TL is less than the Accord, though, and no fold-down rear seats. IMO, it's a very good-looking car too.

Johnny