Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Windstar

Comments

• slbaron24slbaron24 Member Posts: 5
    PLEASE see post #713 in "Ford Windstar Problems" Thank-You!!
  • jj35jj35 Member Posts: 283
    I am looking for a replacement vehicle for my 2000 Toyota Sienna. One feature that I like in the Sienna is that I can remove or fold half of the back seat (can get extra cargo space and still seat five people). I cannot find anything on the Edmunds new car descriptions to see how the rear seat of the Windstar is configured. Can someone with a 2002 Windstar (or any year if the seats are the same) comment?
  • bdemasbdemas Member Posts: 51
    jj35: The rear seat of our 2001 can be moved to the middle row. We have the captain seats in the middle, but it will also works on the bench seat variety as well. Both the rear and middle row seat backs can be folded flat. I'm pretty sure this configuration hasn't changed for the 2002 model.
  • bloemiebloemie Member Posts: 8
    I own a 95 Windstar with 65,000 mi. I have had all the usual problems such as the speedometer, head gasket and finally the transmission. It seems the FORWARD CLUTCH PISTON went out in the tranny and the repair cost $ 1620.

There was a TSB issued in 1994 (1 yr before I bought the car) that stated that the aluminum forward clutch pistons were failing and if they did they were to be replaced by a STEEL version. I will be in small claims court next week. My question is: Are there any of you windstar ownwers out there who have succesfully collected on this issue ? It is technically a breach of the warrenty of mechantabillity because they sold the car with a known latent defect.
  • hcmiller1hcmiller1 Member Posts: 1
    This is my first post...but I have been reading all the others carefully. My 96 Windstar blew its engine on Dec. 1, with 78,000 miles on it. A year ago, I had to have the timing cover gasket replaced at great expense. Right now, without expensive diagnostics done on the blown engine, the engine failure can't be tied to the head gasket. There is no doubt in my mind, however, that the poor engine design others have been complaining about is the culprit here, too. I am just beginning my complaint process to Ford. Any suggestions will be welcome. PS. Coincidentally, I just met a woman in the town next to mine, whose 96 Windstar bit the dust the very same day mine did. Just how widespread is this issue with the 96's?
  • edo89edo89 Member Posts: 1
    I thought others might find my experience useful when deciding on buying a new van. We bought ours in May of 1998. We selected it over Chrysler and Sienna for several reasons and have not been disappointed, overall. We did have problems though. About 2 months after we bought it had a major transmission problem; tranny had to be replaced, of course, it was covered by warranty. Couple months later, another engine related problem occured and again it was fixed in 2 days by the dealer for free. Ever since we did not have any problem. My wife loves the van - it's powerful, quiet at cruising speeds, has comfortable driver seat, is roomy, 2 AC units for front and rear passengers etc. I know how most of you undecided feel since we did the same way - searching for news, postings etc. about every van on the market, test-driving them all, being concerned mostly with reliability. 3 and a half years and 40K miles later, we are still happy Windstar owners. The only thing I don't like is the sound of the engine during acceleration, but my wife who is the primary driver does not mind it at all. The things I like the most are power, nice and thick carpets, excellent visibility, superb brakes, and the best overhead console I have seen in any van or car.
  • xolo90xolo90 Member Posts: 1
    We leased our second Windstar in June 2001.
    We have two problems the dealer has not addressed in the visits.

1) The power sliding door is off track and will not close properly, 3 out of 5 attempts, the door reaches 3/4 the way shut and pops back open. The problem first occurred while on vacation @ Martha Vineyard parked in my driveway. The Dealer said someone hit it or a shopping cart hit it, I disagree. anyway I was told I have to bring to a body shop, can you believe it?

2) The Driver side front speaker is blown, seems like a simple problem, not fixed yet.

This is my third Ford, getting a bad taste. Mostly likely will not buy/lease @ Ford anytime soon. Anyone have any solutions for the Door?
  • penguinpenguin Member Posts: 32
    After reading the posts here and everywhere, why would anyone even consider buying a Ford. As for me, no more Fords or other American cars. Its going to be Toyotas, Subarus, Hondas or Nissans from here on out.
  • luvmyescape3luvmyescape3 Member Posts: 1
    I own a '97 Dodge Grand Caravan with 70,000 miles and am considering purchasing a 2001 Windstar SE with leather and quad seating. The manual side doors on the Windstar seem to require some muscle to close, as opposed to my Caravan which requires the push of a button and an easy slide. Does this bother anyone or am I out of shape?

I was ready to purchase tomorow, but am having second thoughts due to my concern after reading the horror stories regarding blown engines and head gasket problems on older Windstars. The deal seem very good; x-plan, less $400. not to mention 0% for 60 months!

I also have a 2001 Ford Escape XLT and LOVE IT!!
  • jeff68jeff68 Member Posts: 5
    For the record, we purchased one of the last '98 Windstars made in June of 1998. Thought it would be okay because supposedly they had addressed he head gasket and transmission problems. However, right on queue at 3 and a half years and 55,000 miles, it now has significant coolant losses. We also had the standard problems of tie rods and radio replaced under warranty. Also the dealer went through the motions of replacing multiple sending units and gas tanks in a wasted effort to make the fuel gauge read accurately.

So it remains the case that Ford is continuing to sell the 3.8 L engine when they know that it does not last much longer than a set of tires.
  • glenn41glenn41 Member Posts: 5
    I have been reading through the Windstar Problems. The Head gasket leaking and transmission breaking.

I have questions as to why. I'm considering buying a Windstar. The GM's, VW and Japanese vans don't fit my needs and I've read and had experience with the Chryslers and they don't appeal to me at all. So here I'm left with the Windstar.

Motor:

1. Is the head gasket failure because the gaskets are sub-standard?
    2. Is it that the motor has too much power for that size motor (3.8)?
    3. Is the Van too heavy for the motor?
    4. Does the antifreeze have anything to do with the eating a way the gasket?

I'm planning on installing a pre-lube system for the motor and using synthetic oil. Do you think this would help the head gasket problem?

Trans:

I see that ford has identified a few transmission hardware problems.
    1. Would synthetic trans fluid and a trans cooler help with these transmission problems?

I know if you talk to a dealer they'll try to make a dead mule sound like a new Mercedes so you can't trust them. So does any one know whom I can email about the Windstar problems, like an email address to a Ford Company rep.?
  • haulthault Member Posts: 130
    Long story short. I had a 95 and now have a 2000 Windstar. Only own a Windstar if you have it under warranty, factory or extended.
  • 5greyhounds5greyhounds Member Posts: 338
    Mine lasted till 135k and then it was totaled by a red light runner. The trans was good to the last day. I did have the head gasket problem and had to replace the speedometer. However, from about 70K on it was routine maintance, of which I am a fanatic. On the transmission. I had the power flush done each 60K and that might be why I never had a problem. Just a guess.
    I now have a 99 SE. Good power, quad seats. It is a little loser than the 95 in the ride department and I think at about 30K I will put some after market shocks on it along with a heavier sway bar. We like it. It can hold 4 retired racing greyhounds with room for two more if need be.
    glenn41: The head gasket failures were related to a bad selection in the gasket material, the head and block are different material and expand at different rates causing a weakening in the gasket. The antifreeze doesn't eat the gasket, though once the gasket is shot it ruins the bearings thus causing the motor to need replacement. In later years it appears they have fixed the problem and the motors have had more power, so its not power related.

I don't think synthetic transmission fluid would have fixed the earlier transmission problems, those were caused by a part that would crack. There seems to be a lot of complaints on the newer windstars with harsh shifting in lower gears.

We have had a 95 that blew the gasket, a 99 with the harsh shifting and persistent pinging problems and now a 2000 that had a clunking in the transmission at various speeds. They replaced the torque converter on that one. Of the 3 the 2000 has been the best. No pinging and the transmission seems better though not perfect. I don't think Ford knows how to build a decent transmission.

I wouldn't go beyond the 3yr/36k mile factory warranty without getting an extended warranty. The torque converter replacement was right at 36k miles.
  • mjsumjsu Member Posts: 2
    I had a 95 Windstar. It lived at the dealership with numerous electrical problems and recalls. It blew head gaskets at 35,000 miles and 77,000 miles, which Ford stood behind eventually ( the second occasion destroyed the engine and a factory rebuilt was provided). The liquid filled motor mounts were shot at 77,000 and cost about $500 to replace. Fortunately I had an aftermarket policy from an excellent company which picked up the cost, minus a $25 deductible. Unfortunately, my Ford dealership in the San Fernando Valley area of Los Angels lost my car the day all the repairs were completed. The vehicle had been inspected and I was told it was in top mechanical condition, with no other problems. The dealership was in the habit of parking cars with keys inside and leaving the lot entrance unattended. It was stolen, recovered six weeks and almost 2,000 miles later, with the interior stripped and over $13,000 damage. The interior panels, seats, radio, tow bar, never used Michelin spare tire and jack were stolen. The radio wiring harness was cut, the body damaged and the transmission severely damaged. Negligence was clear in this matter. After telling me what needed to be done to properly repair my vehicle, my Ford dealer turned the matter over to their insurance company, which screwed me - beware if you deal with "F" Insurance. I was underpaid the loss sustained after a year long dispute and orignally being low balled. The dealership was totally indifferent. They would not repair my vehicle because their insurance company refused to pay the cost. I attempted to talk to the owner, but got no closer than his son, who felt no responsibility for their blunder. I have a new vista on how this dealership treats its customers. I eventually disposed of the defective van for salvage cost plus the pittance provided by the scum insurance company. I called Ford Motor Company, but they said they have no control over what their dealers do. Does this sound like the kind of company you want to deal with? I am now looking for a late model Toyota Sienna. I have had it with Ford.
  • wholiganwholigan Member Posts: 148
    As we all know, it is worth more as an insurance reimbursement than anywhere else!

BTW - you have a very clear case of negligence (seeing that the van was stolen from the Ford Dealership with the keys left in the vehicle by their employee) on your hands. If you did not recover the blue book value of your van, I think it is well worth the small claims $50 filing fee...
    2003 Honda Odyssey EX-LRES - Midnight Blue Pearl
    2004 Honda Accord EX-L Graphite Pearl
    2007 Honda Civic EX - Atomic Blue
    2013 Honda Civic LX - Crimson Pearl
  • foundonroaddeafoundonroaddea Member Posts: 10
    Could you tell me how you were able to determine that it was the forward clutch piston? We have what sounds like the same trouble. Did you have to tear down the transmission? What was the cost and who did you have do it?
  • excelent3excelent3 Member Posts: 197
    Purchased Aug of 2000. Has had 3 recalls since. Poorest paint job I have ever seen. We are Fords attempt to "win us back" as a valued customer. Our '95 Taurus LX wagon blew two headgaskets. Ford purchased it back for $6300 + $3000 coupon and 0.9% interest for 5 years. It was a good deal at the time. Took delivery on the Windstar, first thing I noticed was all the small particles of hair and dirt in the paint. Left year quater panel had a piece as big as a pencil eraser! They offered to paint it. I said I did'nt want it. They said I would lose the 0.9% rate if I didn't purchase by following Monday. They put us in a corner, found out later I could have got the rate on a different unit, because they could'nt deliver a satisfactory product. It goes on further with problems with service dept. Never, EVER, will I buy a Ford again. Purchased a new Kia Sedona minivan totally loaded for $22,995 last month....no comparison...great van...great warranty for the money and a first rate paint job!
  • bloemiebloemie Member Posts: 8
    Paula,

When I took my windstar in to the dealer I allready suspected the forward clutch piston based on what I had read. The dealer confirmed it was the piston when they called me back. The repair was $ 1620. They did replace the aluminum version with the steel part. I asked them for the part they took out and it is aluminum.

I have sued the dealer under the Michigan consumer protection Act. By issuing a TSB in 1994 Ford in effect admitted they knew the part was defective. In dealing with your Dealership you can get all the info you need from the following site. www.magma.ca/~jheinze It just has a ton of history, pictures, small claims court info, ect.

Maybe you can get Ford to chip in and stay out of court. Good luck

Bloemie
  • foundonroaddeafoundonroaddea Member Posts: 10
    Robert,

Not to be stupid, but again I ask, HOW were they able to tell it was the forward clutch piston? Did they infact tear the transmission down? The dealer found metal shavings in the burnt transmission fluid. I wish now that we had gotten an answer from them about what the shaving were. Feel free to answer at my e-mail address.
  • driedeldriedel Member Posts: 1
    Bloemie: I once owned a '95 Windstar for two very painful and expensive years. Bomb of a van, Bomb of a car company! My Windstar needed the transmission overhaul because of the cracked forward shift piston. The classic signs of failure is that the vehicle fails to go into gear after you come to a complete stop. Transmission fluid is supposed to build pressure behind the piston causing the piston to move forward and shift the transmission back into gear. The crack which occurs in the aluminum pistons allows the transmission fluid to leak thru and it never develops enough force to shift into gear. So, you roll to a stop (like at a traffic signal) and sit there waiting for this harsh thumping action (feels like you are gently rear ended). Sometimes, you can get it to go into gear by downshifting manually to 1st gear. Eventually though, the beast will leave you stuck in traffic. The ford dealerships I dealt with played "Possum" with me. I had to contact a good independent transmission shop that soon as I told him what I had, and what it was doing, he knew exactly what the problem was (it took all of 30 seconds for him to figure out the problem). This transmission has been produced by ford since the 1985 Taurus's and this is a classic problem of the AXOD transmission.

All I can recommend is unload the beast soon as you can. I sucked it up and took a beating cost wise, but picked up a 2000 Chevy Venture. It has 26,000 miles on it now and is a Great van, good mileage (25 -26 mpg), good performance, good seating (8 passenger-comfortable) and drives like the Oldsmobiles I've always driven for 250 K miles. It will be a cold day in hell before I ever go back to another Ford. I'm pleased to see them hit hard times now. But, as W.C. Fields said " A sucker is born every day". Based on the windstar experience, it's a few more then one sucker per day! Good Luck
  • candlemakercandlemaker Member Posts: 9
    Hi, I am here because of a problem with our 2001 Windstar. We traded off our 95 Windstar on the 2001. It seems we have had problems since day 1.
    Ford has not fixed the issues we experienced with the 95. This week we took it to the bank and signed it over to them. We don't need more Ford headaches.
  • feldsteinfeldstein Member Posts: 3
    I have had my 2000 Winstar SEL for over two years now. This vehicle has been the best vehicle I have ever owned. In actual fact I have not had one problem with it. In my line of work I meet with many different people each day and we often discuss vehicles. From my conversations it appears that Ford has better quality in their manufacturing of the SEL than the cheaper models. ONe client of mine bought two Winstars, one was for his business and the other was a top of the line SEL. My client told me that his SEL was perfect but the cheaper model Winstar he uses in his business is junk. I have also noticed the same thing with the chrysler minivans. My clients that drive the Town & Country have a wonderful expereince owning their minivan. But, the ones who buy the cheaper models have trouble. One could probably conclude that auto manufactuers put more quality in their higher margin vehicles, because they want to ensure their customer comes back. On their lower priced and lower margin vehicles their view of their customer is much different.
    This may very well be true. We did not have $40,000 to spend on the van. At $30,000. we figured it should have some quality to it.
    The trans shifted the same as our 95 and we were told by a Ford man that the trans in the 95 needed to be replaced.We had only 7000 km on the van, the thing should have been perfect !
  • autolover3autolover3 Member Posts: 53
    The Windstar's brochure states the third seat can be moved up to the second row's area. Can a second row's captain seats go in the third row area? (reversed--but would still allow seating for 7). Would ideally like captain seats in the second row but would like the option of putting a toddler in the middle seat on a bench behind the driver (for safety)and still hold 7. Thanks in advance.
    autolover3: The captains seats cannot go in the third row. There are only 2 sets of slots in the back row for the bench seat. The spacing in the middle row allows the bench to be positioned in the middle. The captains seats have arm rests on both sides, maybe that will give you the added safety you need.
  • autolover3autolover3 Member Posts: 53
    Thanks, bdemas. Still can't decide between second row captains or bench (with a toddler). Captains would be nicer in the long run.
  • skimmelskimmel Member Posts: 43
    Posting this here as well as the "Windstar Problems" board (which hopefully will provide different perspectives).

The Windstar has been around for a long time. I read a lot about problems but seems mostly in "pre-2000 models" (totally unscientific seat-of-the-pants guestimate). Is this true? If so, is it just that the newer models haven't been driven as much yet?
    We had a 2001 Windstar with less than 7000 km on it. It was nothing but a problem from day 1. Just last week we told the bank to come and get it. We had enough problems with Ford. After paying just over $30,000. for it and trading in our problematic 95 Windstar, we were not about to do it again.
    Thanks candlemaker. Sounds like it was a dud. I've been through a similar, but not quite as painful experience with another manufacturer's car.

Question is: are these duds as common in the recent models compared with the older ones? This may be impossible to say for sure, but maybe someone has some insight. Certainly, reading the "Problems" boards here makes me want to buy a skateboard! ;)
  • davids1davids1 Member Posts: 411
    How can you tell the bank to come and get it? Did they take it off your hands and give you the remaining balance of your loan? Do they in turn force to manufacturer to take it back?
    I don't know how the bank will dispose of it. We only made 3 payments on it and told the bank it was a lemon and we would no longer pay for it. It is called voluntary surrender.We don't have to pay the balance. When we bought the 2001, we traded our 95 junkstar. We owed 10,000 on it (95)since we just bought it. We feel we did the best thing getting out of it before all the headaches we had with the 95 drive us to our grave. !
  • davids1davids1 Member Posts: 411
    Wow, that's awesome. That's lemon law on another level. Will that have any affect on your credit rating? Very interesting!
    Yes it will but only for about 6 years. It would have taken that long to pay the loan off and we would have had all the headaches to boot! We figure on getting a cheap used car and save up for whatever we decide to buy. I could not fathom paying $639.02 a month for 6 years for that junk !
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Seems a bit extreme, but whatever works. I bet you could put a letter in your credit file with the big 3 credit companies to explain your actions, and that may help your "Beacon" score.

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
    Does the 2002 Windstar have this? In case I'm using the wrong term: you can't put the van out of Park without first stepping on the brake.

Thanks.
    Thanks to those who responded. We are just glad to be rid of the van and the debt.
  • tlahayetlahaye Member Posts: 81
    This is our third Windstar. Its a Limited, and drives like a dream. Its smooth, no wind noise, no road noise, etc.

It's the third one we've purchased the ext. warranty on. They've been expensive, as most repairs were done in first 36K.

Yeah, the regular stuff you see on the problems board----transmission replaced on the 98, steering rack replaced, tie rod ends, etc. These problems are a hassle, but it seems all vehicles have them. My wife drives the Windstars, and loves them, so we buy more.

Someone here observed that they've "cut costs" on the floor mats. Boy is that ever true---! The 95 essentially had two layers of carpet. The 98's mats were skimpy, and the rear was vinyl (I missed the two-way visors too). The mats on our 01 Limited are a joke. Dealer tells us there is no rear (cargo area) mat for the 01's, even in the Limited. Is this true?
    I know what you mean about the carpets. I had a 95GL that was totaled last year at 135K and picked up a 99SE. The carpet of the 95 was so much nicer than the 99. As to routine problem I agree. Every board here has transmission, steering and other problems in each one.
  • gandalf17gandalf17 Member Posts: 348
    Prices are in Canadian Dollars. I may have an opportunity to purchase.

VEHICLE FOR SALE

VEHICLE IS SOLD ON A FIRST COME, FIRST SERVE BASIS AND IS SOLD AS IS, WHERE IS

VEHICLE IS LOCATED AT TORONTO AUTO AUCTION

PLEASE RESPOND NO LATER THAN TUESDAY, MARCH 12TH

1998 FORD WINDSTAR CARGO VAN
    APPROX. 91,000 KM
    EXTERIOR COLOUR: VIBRANT WHITE
    INTERIOR COLOUR: GRAPHITE CLOTH
    3.8L 6 CYL ENGINE
    AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
    AIR CONDITIONING, AM/FM CASSETTE, REAR DEFROSTER, CONVENTIONAL SPARE TIRE,
    ABS BRAKES
    PRICE: $4,500 + GST AND PST, (NON NEGOTIABLE)
  • tony22rtony22r Member Posts: 45
    My 1995 Ford Windstar GL 3.8L V6
    Problems, Defects, Recalls

* Defective factory Head Gaskets at 60K miles. White smoke, coolant in engine oil. Replaced under Ford Recall but I still had to pay $200 for "fluids & environmental fees".
    * "Hood Separation at high speeds" Recall. Dealer applied more Glue to the plastic hood!
    * Gas Tank (plastic) needed Reinforcement for hot weather climates. Recall. They installed redesigned straps on the plastic gas tanks.
    * Sliding Door needed reinforcement/welding.
    * Transmission Oil pan leaked constantly since vehicle was new at 0 miles. I was original owner.
    * Engine oil pan started leaking at 10K miles.
    * "Check Engine" light came on ALL the time! Usually on long drives or change of altitude. Dealer could never explain, and refused to fix it as there was no "problem".
    * Hesitation/Jerking/Loss of power at certain temperatures, elevations, engine speeds. Dealer could never reproduce problem so refused to fix.
    * Trim, body panels, weather stripping falling apart. (20K miles)
    * Radio buttons and knobs falling off. (20K miles)
    * Windows came off their tracks (30K miles)
    * Defective rim that leaked Air! There was an Air Leak in the steel Wheel right from the factory! Dealer refused to replace, they said it was a Maintenance item! GRR..

I sold my Windstar last year at a loss for $3000. It only had 67K miles on it, yet everything was falling apart. I took the money and ran while the vehicle was still 'running'.
    I was the original owner and maintained that vehicle religiously, changing oil every 3K, tranny fluid flushes, air filter every 10K, coolant flush every summer, etc.

Bottom line; DON'T buy a FORD!
    In the end it will end up owning YOU!
    I will Never Ever own another Ford vehicle again!
  • gandalf17gandalf17 Member Posts: 348
    Tony22r,

Appreciate your feedback. Sounds like you got stuck with a really horrible vehicle. You probably should have pursued the lemon law on that one....

Although your words alone would not influence my decision at all, I have decided not to purchase this 1998 Windstar. I have done quite a bit of further research, both here and independently and there isn't a chance I would pony up the money for a vehicle with a problem plagued history such as this. I find it exceptionally troubling that years went by and the same issues kept re occurring in the same vehicles. It reinforced to me why i will never buy a car from a North American manufacturer. I have owned Honda's, Mazda's and now a Subaru WRX for the last 10 years. I have never had a major mechanical issue or malfunction in all of that time. I have only had to have regular maintenance and a few minor problems fixed under warranty such as squeaking seats and loose window trimming.

Steve Host,

Thanks also for the feedback on pricing. I was planning on using this vehicle almost exclusively as transport to my boat which i have docked about an hour north of Toronto. The extra carrying capacity and the fact i didn't have to put mileage on my wife's Mazda Protege ES or my WRX intrigued me. I'm sorry, but the potential for costly transmission and engine repairs just isn't worth it for me.

Thanks,
  • tony22rtony22r Member Posts: 45
    gandalf17,

Agreed... after spending so much time/money/effort on that Ford, I realized that it was a lost cause.
    (Note: just the other day I received yet *another* Recall from Ford for defective front coils springs on Windstars! Unbelievable! I forwarded the recall letter to the new owner, hehe, not my problem any more)

I contacted the Ford complaint dept MANY times; they just offered their condolences, reiterated some old safety ratings, and offered me a 'coupon' on my next Ford purchase. I told them there Wasn't going to BE a next Ford purchase and that they can shove that coupon up their &$%!

With all the time and money I put into it, I could've just started out with a Toyota or Honda to begin with! Some things are just not worth cheaping out on.
    Especially now with all the competition and low interest rates amongst all the automakers, us consumers shouldn't have to put up with 3rd rate crap! My hard-earned cash will be going to automakers that will give me Reliability and Quality... not Recalls and TSB's.

I just recently bought my wife a brand new Toyota truck, and I bought myself a new Honda V-twin motorcycle. We are happy campers now :o)
    I seriously considered the WRX, but most dealers were out of stock a few months ago!
    Happy motoring.
  • mikeu42mikeu42 Member Posts: 2
    Like all too many others, I wish I had this Town Meeting before I bought my 1995 Windstar. I've had basically all the problems written about, and got the same treatment from Ford Customer Service. See my message # 808 at Town Hall "Ford Windstar Problems." QUESTION: Can anyone out there tell me how to go about getting a decent "coupon" from Ford for all the problems and costs I still am incurring. I got $800.00 for the head gaskets I replaced (but got unfairly shut out of the $4,000 purchase incentive for same). After last years "control module?" case in California, is there anything out there for me to offset the cost of replacing this lemon-year vehicle from Ford????? Thanks USA and Canada Windstarers....
  • djacob62djacob62 Member Posts: 5
    Took my 98 Windstar in to the shop today. Needs a new transaxle. Only 60256 miles on it. They are replacing it with a refurbished one with a 2 year 24k mile warranty.
    Mechanic says it could've gone out due to neglect (didn't replace filter and fluid at recomended intervals) but even if it did, it's hard telling if it would've lasted or not.
    In any case, shouldn't trannys last more than 4 years and 60,000 miles?
    Do I have a case with Ford on trying to get some reimbursement for this?
    Thanks!
    You can give it a shot and see what they say. All they can say is no and you have lost nothing. However, this is another reason for the extended warranty. With the technology in today's cars just replacing a power window motor is $400 or so and if you keep your car as long as we do, 6 to 10 years, something major is bound to fail.

Do you notice that if you go to the other boards it seems all the vans and cars seem to have transmission and power steering problems. I guess I am lucky that I do not own an old GM car where the thing could catch on fire.

I do pull the routine maint on my transmission. I had a 95 Windstar (totaled by a red light runner) with 135K on it and the transmission was fine. I had the transmission power cleaned ( all fluids removed) and synthetic fluid put in and no problem. Once every 60k.
  • pluto5pluto5 Member Posts: 618
  • djacob62djacob62 Member Posts: 5
    Thanks very much for the link to lemonaidcars
    very good information.

I'm taking a copy of my invoice for the tranny work and a letter to the Ford dealer I bought the van from on Friday. I've already talked to them on the phone. So hopefully they'll do something. I'm not getting my hopes up, but it wont hurt to try.
  • smokybearsmokybear Member Posts: 2
    I bought a 97 Windstar about 8 months ago and have had numerous problems with it, although nothing serious yet. One of them continues to annoy us. The chime is frequently on for no apparent reason. There are only two factors we have been able to identify: 1) It only stays on at speeds under 20 mph, and 2) It is more frequent with the headlights on (sometimes the chime goes off if I turn my headlights off, but not always).

Has anyone else experienced this?
  • jsiedhoffjsiedhoff Member Posts: 18
    I have a 2002 windstar with a squeaking driver's side sliding door. What is strange about it is that it only squeaks and rattles when it is raining. Has anyone experienced this? I had a 2000 that was a lemon and I wish then I stayed away from Ford. My '02 that I got as a replacement (after fighting with Ford for 3 months) has already had two front end alignments, three steering wheels and a squeaky driver's seat also. I will never buy another Ford product in my lifetime.