Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Older Acura TLs

Comments

• dtate99dtate99 Member Posts: 122
    Fortunately, there are no "creeks" in my car, but there are a few rattles and creaks. Although, the inside did get kinda of wet the other day when it rained and I had left the sunroof open....

Sorry, couldn't resist. :)
  • gordsgords Member Posts: 13
    I am currently the owner of a 2002 Honda Odyssey EX-L which has seen only one recall notice (the van was subject to recall on a transmission problem by Honda, but did not require the "fix") and has performed faultlessly since we took delivery of it. (Factory ordered). We are now looking to replace this with the 2004 Acura TL. Is this car a pick or a pan? I know the Honda Accord EX-L V6 is the plain Jane sister, but it just doesn't do it for me in the styling department. Any help? The car will be purchased new in Canada. And Dtate99... We DO KNOW HEAT up here, we aren't all living north of the Arctic Circle.
  • aaarghaaargh Member Posts: 230
    I think the TL is a PICK and will help you lose the soccer dad image.

However, I think you'll find most everybody on this forum to be biased as most of us are TL owners.
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    The TL is not perfect, but I would rate it a Pick. IMO, the styling rocks. On the negative front, various squeaks, rattles ,etc are annoying. And torque steer is there -- auto or manual. Not excessive, but it is there nonetheless.

PS: Does anyone find the spring action on the doors a bit strong?
  • go_mdx1go_mdx1 Member Posts: 135
    Interesting to hear that the turn signal blinkers will be added to exterior mirrors....

If you look on page 35 specifications on a 2004 Acura TL sales brochure, they indicate one of the safety features is "Door mirrors with integrated directional signals". Oh well.....if you REALLY want to see a Sales Brochure where marketing vs. reality are not the same, pick up a 2004 Mercedes E-class brochure. It got so bad that they put a bunch of stickers in the brochure to amend the incorrect info.
  • dtate99dtate99 Member Posts: 122
    Yes, I find the springs to be a bit strong. Almost daily I open the door to exit the car and inadvertantly meet it on the way back to the closed position before I can get out of my seat.
  • magictimmagictim Member Posts: 7
    David,

Hopefully my 2005 Acura TL will come equipped with mirror turn signals, XM Satellite "Direct Traffic" features and a navigation system with spell check. Thanks for the laugh.:)
  • undertoadundertoad Member Posts: 5
    At 7700 miles my '04 TL auto overall MPG is 23+. The biggest surprise is the highway mileage. This past week I did a quickie 3000 mile trip from NC > IN > NY > NH > NC. With 3 adults aboard and a trunk full of luggage, we averaged 31+ (31.4 mpg to be exact) mostly at an indicated 65 - 75 mph. I always drive at the speed limit +10 which means probably ~8 mph actual over the limit. This kind of mileage was realized over interstates and rural US highways.
  • automophileautomophile Member Posts: 780
    Honda is really tight about new model releases. Even the dealers know nothing factual. Before the new TL came out there were hundreds of rumors about features, engine, etc., and few were even close. You just have to wait and see. Talking about it is futile.
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    Undertoad,

Have you been getting that gas mileage from the beginning? I have 3,800 miles on mine (6-speed) and get 30+/- on the highway, but have been averaging only about 16-19 mpg in "mixed" driving around town and the DC beltway. Just had my first oil change and didn't (yet) switch to Mobil 1. The service manager claimed that it can take 5,000+ miles for break-in and good MPG on the TL.

For comparison, in the same "mixed" driving conditions, I averaged 22-24 MPG in my 1995 Maxima SE 5-speed that is nearly as quick as the TL and 21-23 MPG in my former Honda S2000. So I am very unimpressed with the poor gas mileage of the TL in anything other than a 70 mph cruise control environment. Further, my S2000 got 32 mpg on the highway with the top down at 75 mph (EPA rating of 26), so I don't consider my TL's ability to just match the EPA rating of 30 on the highway that impressive.
  • hoyahenryhoyahenry Member Posts: 399
    You are clearly having way too much fun driving your 6 speed TL on the DC Beltway to get 16-19 mpg! Just kidding. ;)

I can say that I just had the first oil change at 6000 and 5 months (<15% on the MID), and have been seeing 21-22 in mixed to no-highway driving with the automatic.
  • undertoadundertoad Member Posts: 5
    around town mileage is abit better for me because I'm in a rural area where two lane roads are posted at 55 and there a few traffic jams...one of the reasons I retired from Boston to eastern NC. My 1998 3.0CL did a couple of MPG better around town but I could never get a consistent 30 MPG highway with the 4 speed auto. I like my '04 TL but it doesn't appear to have the build quality of the '98 CL. Just changed out the original oil at 7676. The dealer had put a sticker on the windshield recommending a change to 5-30W at 3750 but I ignored it.
  • mdhaukemdhauke Member Posts: 202
    Less traffic in eastern NC? Wow, you must live in one of the few parts in the area that has light traffic. NC has one of the worst planned road systems I have ever seen.
  • highenderhighender Member Posts: 1,358
    hello habitat and all ...

I got a TL....just liked the style and hi tech interior components...

decided against the BMW 325i and C230.

I have only 750 miles on it, and am getting about 22 mpg mixed driving. I hope it will break in soon, and then perhaps switch to Mobil 1 synthetic.....

I do sense some of the torque steer, as compared to my rental Audi A4( took the cayenne in for service), which has no torque steer. However, the A4 has none of the creature comforts of the TL, and less safety features.
  • jeffreylevinjeffreylevin Member Posts: 32
    Also got a TL. Became a fan, car is very quick and hugs the road. Great value for the money. Just turned 1000 miles. First Highway drive got 26 mpg.
    Mixed driving getting 21-22 mpg. Not sure if the TL likes 89 or 91 octane. Going by Dealers recommended first oil change at 2500 miles.
    Just purchased a blue tooth phone for the TL. Had minimal pairing issues with a V710 phone. Car detects phone every time. Hands free dialing easy (incoming & outgoing calls). Acura TL customer support did state that the V600 phone may require a handsfree software upgrade on older TL's.
    what phone is it specifically ? We will go to our friends, who have a cell phone store, but are not sure which phone works best with the TL . Can you advise more ?

congrats on the TL, BTW. I agree, it is fun and hugs the road and has instant steering feel. Lots of power, though I need to rev it up to higher rpm to access the hp.

we just drove TL down to sunnyvale( 60 min ), and left the cayenne at home..... :)
    Purchased the Motorola V710, which just was released by Verizon. Acura mentioned that the phone has not been certified, but I had minor trouble pairing. Only read the quick installation guide. Send & Receive not a problem. No problem with clarity with the other party. Acura hotline acknowledges a compatibility issue with Motorola V600. May require a software upgrade on earlier TL's. Hope this helps.
    >>Not sure if the TL likes 89 or 91 octane.

No it doesn't. The decreased gas mileage will cost you more than the few bucks to go with the higher octane. You spent over $30K on the car, you should give it the gas that makes the investment worth it IMHO.

>>Going by Dealers recommended first oil change at 2500 miles.

Sounds like a rip off. When a dealer recommends anything that's not in the manual, be wary. The onboard computer knows more than a money-grabbing dealer knows. That's where they make most of their profit.

Also, I have just over 5000 miles on my TL. The gas mileage has improved about 2 - 3 MPG since around 1000 miles. I'm getting 27-28 MPG in mostly (75%) highway driving. One long trip I got 34 MPG!
    thanks, JL....

we are going in tomorrow to try to scout one out and get it....

love the TL voice commands...true hi tech with real world safety usage/applications.

BTW, you said you had "minor trouble pairing the phone" . Does that mean you had "little " to no truoble, or "some " trouble ?

thanks....
  • sydney4163sydney4163 Member Posts: 18
    Hi all,

First of all, let me apologize as I am sure this has been discussed in the past on this board.

Can anyone give any insight into problems with the 02-03 Type S? I have heard some about the tranny problems. How widespread is this problem? Does it affect a majority of the cars?

What are the other likes/dislikes about the car? I am also considering a Nissan Maxima. Any thoughts on comparisons?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Sydney
    I have a 2004 Tl and 1995 Nissan Maxima SE, both manual transmissions.

As for the 2002/3 TL-S, the tranny problem alone would be enough to steer me clear of it. I know of at least two owners who are on their second replacements. Acura has covered them with an extended warranty and, I believe, loaner cars. But it is still a royal pain in the butt.

As for the Maxima, I'd put my 1995 up against any comparable car out there at the time on the reliability, quality and fun to drive fronts. Mine was made in Japan and drives as well with 153k miles as it did new. Unfortunately, the Maxima has slipped a bit in terms of interior quality and dependability.

So it's a tough choice. I could easily justify (and did) the price premium of a 2004 TL over a 2004 Maxima. But neither of them as 2002/2003 model used cars would be high on my shopping list.
  • billyperksbillyperks Member Posts: 449
    I can strongly say with 22,000 miles on the odometer that this car is pleasure to drive.

Go for it.
    Simply that I briefed over the manual. Just follow manual and you should be fine.
    thanks JL...

we will search for a V710....and not a V600, just in case ....
  • cheddarmuffcheddarmuff Member Posts: 8
    I have used my Sony Ericsson T637 in my TL for a little under a month now and have had no problems. Easy to set up and easy to use. The phone is cool also...
  • richtheslickrichtheslick Member Posts: 7
    I am close to buying a 2004 Acura TL.
    I heard the 2005 model is coming out in October 2004. Does anyone know what, if any changes will be made to the 2005 model? Any additional options/packages to consider, any enhancements? Please let me know. Thank you very much.

Jonnie J
    Acura is notoriously tight-lipped about the new models. Being the TL was new for '04, there are likely to be very few changes for '05.

Acura's have very few options/packages to begin with. The only options for '04 were auto versus manual, navigation system or not, and high performance tires or not for the manual. So, I would think the answer would be no to the new options/packages.
  • sharpwitzsharpwitz Member Posts: 30
    I called up several dealers and they mentioned that 2005 will add a new exterior color and a rear defogger fix. I think there are other issues Honda needs to address before they can add new features.

To see changes to the TL throughout the years take a look at these links

http://auto.consumerguide.com/auto/used/reviews/full/index.cfm/id- /2150

http://auto.consumerguide.com/auto/used/reviews/full/index.cfm/id- /2362
    tyhanks cheddarmuff...

still doing the comparisons...in price...for the phone
  • flfungirlflfungirl Member Posts: 19
    I've been looking into getting the 04 TL in White Diamond Pearl w/ quartz interior. I haven't talked in detail yet to a dealer but I've done some inventory searches and it seems that they all have wood trimmed interior which I don't like. I prefer the aluminum. Is the wood an add on or is it standard?
    Wood trim is only for light color interiors. Standard.
    All TL's come standard with Aluminum trim. The Camel and Parchment interiors come with simulated wood trim while the Quartz and Ebony come with simulared carbon fiber.

It's all on the Acura website. It will let you know what interiors are available with what exterior colors.
  • mdw1000mdw1000 Member Posts: 171
    Hello all,

My wife and I have started talking about getting a TL. We are getting tired of the poor reliability of the so-called "American" cars and have heard great things about Acura reliability.

However, after reading some of the messages on other threads I am not so sure! I am very concerned about the transmission problems some people have been discussing. Sounds like this has been an ongoing problem with honda ATs? If so, does anyone know if they are coming out with a new tranny anytime soon?

Thanks!
    Supposedly, the newer production 2004 TL's have a factory correction for the lubrication problem that was the root of the Honda/Acura automatic transmssion problem. I say "supposedly" because early production 2004 TL's were recently added to the recall list.

However, one foolproof solution is to get the 6-speed manual. Besides being more fun to drive, having a tighter handling suspension and better (Brembo) brakes, Acura manual transmissions are, according to my dealer, "bulletproof". He passed an old Legend GS 6-speed down to his daughter at 225,000 miles and it is still on the original clutch. I am fortunate, in that my wife learned to drive a stick 25+ years ago from her father. Although we are now in our 40's have two kids and live in DC, have no inclination to use either age, familial status or geography as an excuse to get an automatic. And, for what it's worth, my wife thinks the TL 6-speed is the smoothest shifting, easiest to drive manual of any of our past cars.

I do think you are pretty safe with the later production automatic 2004 TL's, but I also encourage you to consider the alternative, if at all possible.
  • mazz1mazz1 Member Posts: 1
    I've had my 03 TL-S for 2 years and 30k miles. Only downside has been watching the 04's go by and trying not run straight to my Acura dealer.
  • kennyg5kennyg5 Member Posts: 360
    The only "down" side I heard when comparing the manual with the automatic is the "rougher" ride due to the tighter suspension (I don't know if the manual comes with different or wider tires). Evidently, shifting the manual transmission when you carve the canyon roads is lots of fun. But in everyday stop and go city driving or just cruising the highway, the manual may not be so useful or it may even become a nusiance imo.
  • mdw1000mdw1000 Member Posts: 171
    Yeah, we do a ton of stop and go city driving. I like the idea of the autostick - seems to be the best of both worlds. Although I do realize you won't put as much power to the pavement as with a manual. But considering right now we have a 170hp grand am, I think the TL will be adequate :)

The trany problems are kind of a mystery to me. They seem to talk about it a lot on the "problems" thread, but the consumer reports buyers guide from last year reports that the TL transmissions over the last few years have very few problems - they are in the much better than average category.

Does Acura ever come out with the year-end deals like some of the other makers do? We don't have to buy right away (the grand am is still running) and if we can pick up an 04 cheaper in a couple months we can wait. Although I do like the idea of waiting for the second year of the new model.

Thanks again
    For whatever reason, Consumer Reports doesn't seem to register the automatic transmission probelms in their ratings. Honda/Acura have recalled something like 1.1 million vehicles, total. And, of the roughly dozen or so friends and associates that have the previous generation TL, fully half of them have had a transmission replacement, one has had two replacements. So, at least by my count, this is (hopefully, "was") a serious problem.

As far as year end deals, I suspect they are getting about as good as you could get now. The 2005's should be starting production next month.

I won't push the manual transmision if you and/or the wife are opposed. But the "autostick" really is just an automatic, plain and simple. Those I know that have Acura autositcks, BMWs "Steptronic", Mercedes "automanuals", etc. pretty much put it in drive and forget about it. I have not found the ride rough or any other downsides to the manual. Firm suspension and less body roll are not necessarily indicative of a rough ride. All 2004 TL's ride on 45 series tires, so none are pothole friendly to begin with.
  • rqcrqc Member Posts: 95
    I heard that the 2005 TL will have the turn signal indicators on the side mirrors, which was supposed to be on the 2004 according to the promotional literature.
  • mdhaukemdhauke Member Posts: 202
    Aren't turn signals on the mirrors for old people? You know, kind of like the curb sensors? I hope this will be an option and not standard.
  • 307web307web Member Posts: 1,033
    It is only an unsubstantiated rumor and it will not be optional. Either it will be standard or it will not be available at all.
  • boylan82boylan82 Member Posts: 7
    do you need to "re-link" the phone every time you turn off the car? i just paired the motorola 710, and left the car. when i used the car next, the phone was not "linked" to the car, and just rang as if it was never paired. I then had to go through the phone connections menu to relink it. is there any easy way to do this?
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    You shouldn't have to relink every time.
  • hcsolo1hcsolo1 Member Posts: 5
    Your trying to decide on which of the two are better choices, Jaguar or Acura TL. Although Jaguar X-type is nice looking car, you have to remember the company is owned by FORD. It has always had a bad reputation reliability and quality of build before and after FORD has taken full ownership of the company. Just to give you an example, my friend purchased a 2002 X-Type because he likes the Jaguar prestige, and the all-wheel drive. I told him not to purchase the vehicle because of reliability and not to mention it's a re-badged Ford Contour/Mercury Mystique with all-wheel drive. It's been written in a few magazines that the new X-type is the old Ford Contour V6 and they added the all-wheel drive and a Jaguar body and interior. So in essence your paying $30,000 plus for a Ford Contour, what a joke. The first week my friend had his X-Type the automatic Trans. went out and was replaced. Brand new car and they have to replace the trans. After owning the X-Type for 2 years his air-conditioning went out in May 2004. Had it fixed but it keeps going out on him, and every time he brings the car in to get fixed they try to sale him a new one. Now he wishes he had listened to me and not purchased the Jaguar. Now everyone has different likes and dislikes. I helped my friend decide on a new car and he purchased the 2004 Lexus ES330 because it fit his style more and I definitely recommended it to him as a good choice. Although he liked the Acura TL it was to sporty for him and not enough truck space. The Acura TL is a nice car with all the goodies in it! And Acura has a reputation of having excellent reliability and great resale value, not to mention the car looks great inside and out. So it comes down to what you like, but always remember, the most important is reliability. Do you want to be inconvenienced with the dealer on recalls and problems!! I'm a car buff and I read a lot of car magazines (Car & Driver, Road and Track, and Motor Trend.) I test drive cars for fun. The best Magazine in my opinion is Consumer Reports. Consumer Reports gives unbiased info. and tests cars before they give them ratings as well as a Check mark for car recommended. Late time I remember I haven't seen the X-Type recommended as a car to buy. The Acura TL was recommended as best in the mid-luxury car segment and given a check mark by Consumer Reports as a good buy. Tuff decisions to make. Wish you the best of luck!
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    A) the Xtype is NOT based on the contour/mystique. It is based on the current European Mondeo. The contour/mystique was based on the previous generation Mondeo.

B) The Jaguar duratec V6 engines share the same block casting with the Ford versions but that's it. Different cylinder linings, pistons, heads, intake/exhaust, PCM.....it's not the same engine at all. Platform sharing is NOT rebadging.

C) Ford has improved Jaguar reliability tremendously (granted, it was really bad to start with). I don't have the exact link but Jaguar was at or near the top of one of the JD Powers quality reports.

Every mfr has problems. Honda/Acura transmissions, Toyota/Lexus engine sludge. Every mfr has lemons - one bad vehicle doesn't mean they're all that way.

Yes, consumer reports does not accept advertising. But they view cars like washing machines and they are inconsistent with their recommendations. Just because it's unbiased does not mean it's correct.

I'm not saying anyone should buy a Jag X-type over a TL or any other car. But you really should get your facts straight before you start bashing a vehicle.
  • 307web307web Member Posts: 1,033
    I've been in the X-Type and despite it having some nice leather and wood, it still has some interior parts with cheap hard plastic. Plus it's cramped. The Lexus ES330 out-Jags the Jag in this respect.
    The TL actually has fake wood so it that hurts the ambience in the Acura somewhat.

Jaguar is dropping the Ford-based frontwheel-drive based platform when they do the complete makeover in a few years so it will seem more like a "real Jag" in the future.
    In the meantime, there have been huge $5000 to $5500 dealer incentives that can make the price very attractive after discounts are applied to the high MSRPs.
    Resale value on the X-Type is horrendous. It is one of the worse possible choices for retaining value used.
  • jweissjweiss Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone have a sense for how many cars/buyers are affected by the shake/shimmy/vibration problem that occurs at mid/high speeds and is frequently brought up on the problems/solutions thread?

This is a fairly disturbing flaw, IMO, with one poster claiming that he was told by service that it's a drivetrain issue. Has Acura adressed this? Again, anyone know the frequency of occurance?

Thanks!
    Jack
  • hcsolo1hcsolo1 Member Posts: 5
    So we are not really disagreeing with anything here, except for the fact that you in your own words said that the Jaguar was not based off the Contour/Mystique. And then you go on to say " The contour/mystique was based on the previous generation Mondeo." Well, just to make you happy we can say that the Jaguar is based off the European Mondeo which is the same as the Contour/Mystique that was introduced in the U.S. So what are you arguing about? And for the new version as you say, I would hope that FORD would spend some money to update there cars! All car companies do that!
  • chris42chris42 Member Posts: 1
    I'm confused. Is the "autostick" the same as a manual stickshift? (ie requires driver to shift through all 4 gears). Or is it just a automatic transmission that cannot be overriden?

I test drove the TL a few days just to do my "due diligence" en route to buying a Lexus GS-300. But I really liked the interior and handling of the Acura. But some of these tranny problems have me concerned.