Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Older Acura TLs

Comments

• highenderhighender Member Posts: 1,358
    Hi...

I love the TL....

the A-spec package looks good, but the ride is firmer...meaning your rear seat passengers may complain...(unless you offer to let them have a chance in the drivers' seat :) )

Love the TL....

BTW, my wife just got the verizon phone..V700 or something.... and it works great...
  • igibanigiban Member Posts: 530
    other than it's an 05? I can't tell any from the internet showroom? Anyone has a clue? Maybe at least the OEM tires are?
  • jjabbytaylorjjabbytaylor Member Posts: 28
    From what I remember, the changes are minor:

1) There is now a passenger-side airbag off indicator where the hazard switch is

2) The headlights are now auto-on as well as auto-off

3) I think the EPA estimates were revised slightly

Jeff
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    So there is actually an auto setting on the light stalk? When you're driving along and the ambient lighting goes below a certain a certain level the headlights will turn themselves on? That's great! Of course, not for me, since I've already bought an '04 :(
  • sharpwitzsharpwitz Member Posts: 30
    Does the TL have an input to plug an iPod or Dell DJ mp3 player?

Also, why is it that the TSX has an accessory upgrade to mp3 player but not the TL?

How is it possible that a cheap Scion has an mp3 player and not the TL????
    Has anyone test driven the 2005 yet to see if Acura decided to modify the response time on the gas pedal?

We all know the TL has a slight delay when the gas pedal is kicked. Perhaps it has something to do with the "luxury" feel. But even the Lexus does not delay that long when you decide to accelerate.

BTW, auto-on lights - is that daylight running lights?
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    Auto-on lights are not daytime running lights. They just come on automatically when it gets dark and turn off automatically when it gets light or the car is turned off.

Some cars also automatically turn on the lights when the wipers are activated. My Lincoln LS also has automatic wipers. Once you've had these conveniences it's hard to go without them.
  • neuronbobneuronbob Member Posts: 43
    nkeen--I own an early 2004 TL, having bought just over a year ago, and found that the Bridgestone Turanzas began hydroplaning within 10k miles, so I switched as a safety precaution. I bought Falken ZIEX ZE512s, which are inexpensive (I bought for $89 each in stock 17" size). They stick like glue in dry and wet. They have become a bit noisy over the 10k miles I've owned them, though, but they are otherwise excellent tires. The Pilot A/S are quieter and just as grippy from what I've experienced. I'm not sure they're over 2X better than the Falkens (which is the price differential).

sharpwitz--There has been a lot of discussion about why the TL has no inputs for mp3 players/iPods. The likeliest reason is that the sound system was simply felt too good for relatively poor quality (in comparison) mp3s, etc. What is surprising is that now, a year after launch, the only options out there to correct this problem require one to give up XM radio. I am so addicted to XM that I am totally unwilling to give it up.

The delay in response to pressing the accelerator is a well-known issue related to the TL's "drive-by-wire" system. I adjusted for that long ago by pressing the accelerator harder than you would in another car. If you do that, there is no delay.
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    Now that you've had your TL over a year (and 20k+ miles from what it appears), what kind of gas mileage are you getting?

Also, I don't notice any delay in accelerator response, but I have a 6-speed. Is that an issue only on the automatic?
    and found one of the last 04 TL (AT/non-Nav) and felt itchy. Well they insisted on a $31,XK, which is not all that good considering 05 is out any day. I also found a little piece of vinyl around glove box fell off (it's small but positioned visibly). What turned me off was that this salesman is saying that if I care about that little defect, then there'd be many others in the car I'd find not happy with.

Having owned Lexus before, this is a shocker to me. I don't expect TL interior refinement to be on par with an ES, after all I don't come to a TL for that reason, but at least pretend you care about it. Now they simply expect still the same price and take that defect with you. Amazing. TL may be hot, but not this hot. I'd hope it's just this dealer or just this salesman.
  • go_mdx1go_mdx1 Member Posts: 135
    fyi....at least 5 new 2005 TL's have arrived on my local dealer's lot...only external difference I can spot is the cars now have Michelin tires instead of Bridgestones. Dealer has his remaining 2004 TL's marked off by about $2500.

2005 MDX's also have arrived (now MDX comes standard with the satellite radio) but none on the lot have the totally new Navigation system.

Still waiting to see my first RL!!
    One other external difference, there is a slight MSRP price increase (around $300)in 2005. Freight cost also went up a few bucks as well.
    neuronbob,

Thanks for the interesting review. If I'm reading correctly, you got the A-spec package after the original purchase?

igiban,

Regarding Lexus vs. Acura quality, it would be hard for me to fairly comment upon the Lexus ES vs. Acura TL, since the ES has about the same driving appeal to me as a Buick Century. However, we are considering the GX470, MDX, Volvo XC90 and a couple of others as an SUV replacement. On purely a cosmetic level, Lexus does seem to go the extra step. The GX interior and overall appearance is definitely a step or two up from the MDX. However, I am concerned that the beauty might be skin deep, literally and figuratively. A friend that has both a GX470 and older GS300 has indicated that the paint/finish on the newer Lexus does not appear to be as high quality as on his older Lexus. Also, the continuing problems reported with drive train vibration on the GX470 have me concerned. And, after I got done admiring the interior of the GX, I found that neither the Lexus nor the MDX offered the quality and comfort of seating found in the Volvo (nor the level of safety and structural engineering).

I think Lexus and Acura are on par with one another in terms of quality. I wouldn't take one dealer employee's comments too seriously.
    I certainly would hope it's just this individual salesperson's attitude. I probably would not buy from 'him' although unfortunately he happens to be the internet guy on the dealership. But I can tell you based on my experience with Lexus services/sales, that kind of remark (Just a small defect; big deal!) is unthinkable from Lexus.

Forget about driving attributes between ES and TL, those are about personal preferences and how you use the car for. I can definitely attest that the interior craftsmanship and material quality in ES is a notch or two better than TL. But it's probably so against any other sedan under $40K. I think TL itself fares just fine against most of others in the class actually.

But as you also implied, one does not come to TL mainly just for getting interior elegance. Get a Lexus if that's the top concern. At the same time, that kind of letdown should not be expected from Acura either.
  • brew99brew99 Member Posts: 86
    Just noticed the change to available colour combo's in Canada for 05 on the acura website. Looks like Desert Mist and Redondo Red drop off completely and looks like Anthracite and White Diamond Pearl with Ebony interior will be available on the AT TL (base or navi) for the first time. Also looks like you can get the Navi now on the 6MT Dynamic Pkg which you could not last year. MSRP looks to be up $200 for the base TL and $300 for Navi and freight jumps nicely from $950 to $1,200!
  • neuronbobneuronbob Member Posts: 43
    I have about 19.5 k miles on my car now. In 60%/40% highway/city driving, I am getting about 23 mpg. I recently took a long trip from Cleveland to NYC and was at 29 mpg while driving 80+ mph with the A/C on. Not bad at all for my assertive driving style. The accelerator response issue was noted mostly on A/Ts IIRC.
  • kfhmailkfhmail Member Posts: 199
    So...you have seen the 05s...where do you live or where did you see the 05 TLs?

Also has anyone found out if we in the US will have the option of the ebony interior with the white exterior like the person (brew99) from Canada said they can get?

Thanks.
  • cmccmc Member Posts: 2
    I have noticed streching in the drivers seat of my new '04 TL w/ only 750 mi. on it! I fear that it is going to get much worse. Did you get any good advice/answers? I brought it up to the dealer who said that it is the perforated leather and that they had replaced a few covers when Acura stepped in and said it is normal!??? Anyone else with this problem or any solutions?
  • cmccmc Member Posts: 2
    I have noticed streching in the drivers seat of my new '04 TL w/ only 750 mi. on it! I fear that it is going to get much worse. Did you get any good advice/answers? I brought it up to the dealer who said that it is the perforated leather and that they had replaced a few covers when Acura stepped in and said it is normal!??? Anyone else with this problem or any solutions?
    It's funny that you mentioned that. I was at the dealer today and rode an '04 demo. The driver seat looked like cracks in the desert.

I don't know much about leather, but the salesperson said that the owner should always take good care of the leather. Does leather wrinkle and crack like that after 1 year? I've never had leather seats so I don't know.
  • aaarghaaargh Member Posts: 230
    My 04 is due for its 'A1' service (Oil change and tire rotation). What did your dealer charge you for this service? If you can seperate the oil change and tire rotation costs, that would be great.

My dealer has told me $36 for the oil change and $26 for the rotation. The total cost will be $72, so there must be tax and somthing else in there. This seems high to me.
  • armandarmand Member Posts: 178
    My dealer charges $28 for an oil change - I'm not sure what they get for a rotation.
  • scott31scott31 Member Posts: 292
    That is WAY too high for just an oil change and tire rotation. I spend about $45 for both after taxes and such at my dealer.
  • aaarghaaargh Member Posts: 230
    Just for clarification, the rotation includes balancing (which Tire Kingdom charges almost $10 per tire).
    Yes, my 2004 TL also has severe stretching in the seats (specifically the seat section closest to the seat back). The leather actual "puffs out" the stretching has gotten so bad. My car is just a couple of months old now.

I plan to take it to the dealer soon but I suspect they will say this is the way it was designed.
    I live in North Carolina. BTW: 2005 Accords have now arrived as well and they switched over from Michelins to Bridgestones on the top-of-the-line Accords. Interesting tire swapping going on at Honda Motor Company :)
    Same thing with mine. The "puffing" is most noticeable on one side of the rear seat, which is unusual since my son, who is the lightest in the family, almost always is the one that sits there.
  • nickjcnickjc Member Posts: 37
    I purchased my '04 TL (AT/non-Navi) this past Spring, and must state that, when considering your, "bang for the buck," this vehicle is an unbelievable buy. And before I forget to mention it, the A1 service, including tire rotation, cost me $51.

Admittedly a fast driver, I regularly receive 28-30 mpg on the highway, and 25ish mpg in mixed driving per tank. Considering my last ride was an '01 Audi A6 4.2, I am thoroughly enjoying the economical benefit of owning the TL. Let's not forget that if pushed, the TL runs low 6s in 0-60mph, and the 1/4 in the 14s!!

The interior is damn close to that of the Audi; the seats more comfortable/supportive IMHO. The DVD-A must simply be heard to be believed, and while I originally thought I'd allow the XM subscription to lapse, I am now a lover of the commercial free variety that satellite radio offers. Isolation from road NVH is quite good, and the interior is logically laid out.

A huge trunk (compared to the Audi) allows for plenty of gear (including my golf clubs NOT stored diagonally taking up the entire trunk) to be stowed.

And let's be honest, where else are you going to receive all the hereinabove plus power everything; heated seats and exterior mirrors (that tilt down in reverse); 2 position seat/mirror memory; dual climate control; Bluetooth connectivity; universal transmitter; and relative exclusivity for $33k?

Yes, FWD has some drawback, including torque steer; steering is a little darty at speed. But I am not ever on the track, and really enjoy creature comforts.

My $.02. Enjoy.
  • tribblestribbles Member Posts: 56
    having test driven a TL and ES330 (05's) last weekend, each car is definitely targeted to different drivers. Those who want luxury comfort and smooth soft ride (Lexus) and those who want a more exciting driving experience (TL). I must admit, that DVD Audio on the TL is awesome even compared to the Mark Levinson upgrade on the Lexus
    The only problem is trying to find places that sell DVD-A discs!
    I actually test played CD on TL during test drive, and I did not really feel TL's any better than ML on ES. I did not play DVD-A, which I presume can exceed ML's. The problem is how many TL owners really play lots of DVD-A.

Note that the 05 RL is not using the similar head and speakers as TL's. It went back to Bose. Makes you wonder if TL's is really the best.
    Did anyone notice that the new DVD navigation system now includes the Zagat's Food Guide? A bonus for all the foodies out there.
    "The problem is how many TL owners really play lots of DVD-A."

I would if I could find some. Now I just have to settle for playing the demonstration disc over and over again :)
  • qwallsqwalls Member Posts: 406
    I found some at Best Buy, just none that I wanted. Amazon.com has a few. I wish Acura had gone with SACD instead, but it's still a decent stereo system.
    There are some glitches with amazon.com shipping across the border, aren't there?
    Probably, but I honestly don't know.
  • sanand5sanand5 Member Posts: 33
    I am considering a 2005 TL but I am concerned about the posts regarding problems with the leather. How many people have NOT had problems with the leather cracking or loosening extensively?
    I haven't had any problems yet with my 2005, but I only have 300 miles on it so far. It does look like Acura used a slightly different design on the seat bottom which should reduce the butt prints.
    so far , with about 3 months in the TL, we do not have any cracks nor fading, nor stretch marks. I would suggest to get some type of leather protectant to help it out.

Love the Nav on the TL. I have a cayenne, and its(cayenne's) CD based Nav is a pain, cause when I am listening to a CD, and want to go somewhere, I must pop out the CD, pop in the nav CD, and then pop it out again, and change back to the music CD....what a lot of trouble...even though I like the car alot....
  • ronaries10ronaries10 Member Posts: 64
    hi. I just purchased my 05 TL and have about 350 miles on it. I don't yet understand what is a DVD-a disk ... can I burn one on my cpu DVD burner? Will the TL's system play CDR's I 've made?
    thanks for info.
    Ron
  • mdhaukemdhauke Member Posts: 202
    No, you cannot burn a DVD-A. They are unburnable, that was one of the selling points to the music industry. Unfortunately not too many labels or artists are doing it. Of course a TL will play a CDR just like any CD player made in the last 8 years
  • vaughn4vaughn4 Member Posts: 106
    Has anyone with a later build date 03 TLs had a transmission failure? That is, anyone w/ a build date after the "fix" of May '02 had any failures?

I purchased my TLs in March '03 and it has 18600 miles on it and it's still okay, but was just curious as to what others are experiencing?

How about the 04's? My 03 TLs is not included in the 100k warranty so should I assume it is one of the good transmissions?
    I would assume the opposite - that your 03 TLS probably has a trnasmission that still isn't truly "fixed".

Friends of ours with an early build 2004 TL recently got a recall notice for their automatic transmission. They bought it in November 2003. They are pretty livid, since they were "assured" by the Acura regional rep that the transmission problems had been fully fixed for the new model.
    For those of you who had mug guards installed on 04/05 TL, can you tell me if it's really useful. I seem to think car looks better/more luxy w/o these things put on, but if they really protect maybe it's a good idea to get it installed if it's offered on a deal. Also, is it something we can put on and remove ourselves w/o damaging the covered painted parts?
    I bought them at about $70 for the set and installed them myself in about 45 minutes. Not bad for an MBA - the only odd tool necessary is a right angle Phillips screwdriver. The holes inside the wheel well are pre-drilled with screws already inside. No issues with damaging the covered painted parts either.

As for their effectiveness, I would put it at about 50%. I went through a muddy road and noticed the front ones had caught most of the mud that would have been sprayed onto the lower side panel/front doors but the upper wheel fender still got some mud sprayed on it. Rear flaps seemed to catch everything.

Personally, I think they look good on anthracite gray. They are rather dimunitive and give a bit more of a finished look, especially to the rear wheel well. But that's just my opinion.
  • argolferbdargolferbd Member Posts: 3
    49,000 miles on my 2002 TL....NO problems with the leather!!!
  • tribblestribbles Member Posts: 56
    Go to buydvdnow.com
  • jjabbytaylorjjabbytaylor Member Posts: 28
    I've had my '04 TL for 9 months and the leather, although not perfect, still looks quite good to me. It seems to be holding up better than any other car with leather that I've ever owned (including a Lexus ES300 and BMW 525i). I guess only time will tell for long term durability.

Jeff
    Thanks!
    change indicator light really show the need to change the oil ? Will the warranty expire/become void if one changes the oil a month after the oil life meter reads 0% ?