Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Older Acura TLs

Comments

• wisngamecockwisngamecock Member Posts: 52
    Regarding the vibration issue, we did hear there was a 'change to the undercarriage' in the '05. My guess is, if Honda/Acura figured out the cause, they'll have it fixed.

Regarding heated seats, my back and butt are both warm when I sit in mine. I am an '05 TL 6 sp owner. It's a world of difference in performance vs. the automatic.

I suppose there is some misinformation on these boards, but the majority was very useful to me in my car search. I've noticed a certain amt of self-policing going on....some of the regulars call out B.S. when they see it.

Good luck in your search. All your choices are nice cars.
  • danny1878danny1878 Member Posts: 339
    I think there is no issue about reliability in new TL. Even with my TL'04, everything is in excelent condition. Except the tires (flat spotting a little for the first 2/3 months).

I think there are misinformations. If I had a problem with the car, I would ask for a solution from the folks at this forum or go to the dealer for more specific problems. That is what normal people do when they have a problem, right!. But the way I see it, the poster just complain and complain and then bashing and bashing. The complaints even come from people who dont even have one. If I were in that situation, I just get rid of the car and move on. Genuine complaint do exist thou, unfortunately not all of them

Sometime you get a solution from people who dont own acura but others. And the solution is "Stop buying Acura"

I believe there isnt a perfect car for everybody. IMO TL is not a perfect vehicle that can please anyone.

Good luck with you research.
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    In the owner's manual, it says "Because of the sensors for the side airbag system, there is no heater in the passenger's seat-back. So I think only driver gets heated seat-bottom and seat-back.
  • phkckphkck Member Posts: 185
    So, the Key runs $31 and the key fob $89 plus programming.
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,684
    Update on new TL: Filthy thanks to Mother Nature (snow, sleet & rain)! I've put just over 200 miles on it (I need a roadtrip!) and the average mpg is up to 19mpg. At half full, I pumped in 9 gallons of 91 octane and reset the trip computer (mpg at that time was 12!!!).

This car is MUCH quieter than my late, lamented (yes, still) '99 Chrylsler M. Biggest difference is wind noise, barely noticeable even at 60+mph. Couldn't say that about the M. Also, great smooth power delivery and I'm still overloaded with audio choices! Car is, and feels, smaller than the M, which was another trait I was looking for in my next car.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• webby1webby1 Member Posts: 209
    We are not allowed to post other forum addresses but I assume you visited the Acura TL 3rd generation forum ?

Lot's of info on vibration.

Regards,

Webby
  • indydriverindydriver Member Posts: 620
    Interesting bit about not changing the oil. Never seen that before.
  • indydriverindydriver Member Posts: 620
    Thanks for the update. I'll be interested to see what you have to say after break-in. Also interested in your evaluation of seat comfort v. the M, which, in my opinion, was very comfortable for big guys like me (6'-4", 230). Also curious, did you consider the TSX?
  • upndwnupndwn Member Posts: 44
    Thanks to all who have replied so far.

Yes, I have seen the 3rd Gen. forum. I guess the misinformation question goes to that one too. I just seems a little over the top, maybe because the unfortunate unsatisfied owners hang around a long time complaining again and again.

I do still feel for those who have legitimate gripes. I wish everyone could be as happy as laurasdad.
    I think the point is the initial engine oil is specifically designed to 'condition'/break-in the engine. Changing prematurely the first time might not be good for the long term health of your TL. That's the message I got from the salesman.
  • exb0exb0 Member Posts: 539
    I bought my ’04 TL in December 03. I had major vibration problems. Acura replaced the tires with “new reformulated” Bridgestones, but the problem persists. A friend of mine just called me from NY with the same problem. The dealer gave him summer Bridgestones, but vibration continues, and Acura is refusing to do anything about.

My question is, is it the tires or the car? Has anybody who used to have vibrations with the Bridgestons, especially in the 50-60 mph range, and replaced them with the Michelins, did it solve the problem?
  • golfnut5golfnut5 Member Posts: 202
    I was on a straight part of an interstate today and went full throttle from 60 mph. I was surprised at how quick I got to 105 mph. I did not hold it for long, but it was fun while it lasted. I only have 1200 miles on my TL so I did not want to push it. My previous car was a 2003 CTS, the TL feels much quicker from 60 to 100 mph than the CTS. No vibration either, just smooth acceleration.
    Yes, amazing how quick these TL's are, 04 AT here. For fun do a google search for 'wrecked exotics'. Helped me slow down a bit after spending some time on that site. There is actually a pic of an 04 TL that was t-boned, side curtain air-bag and all (may have to go thru quite a few photos). Looks like the TL held up well.
  • achadhaachadha Member Posts: 106
    Exb0,

I too have an 04 TL bought dec 03. They replaced my tires with the new set of of EL 42's but I still feel the vibration problem. I don't know what to do next either...
  • prigglypriggly Member Posts: 642
    Replacing the tires has improved the vibration issue in some cases but not all. It would therefore appear that there is an inherent defect in the driveline of the TL. This issue has been discussed at length on other internet forums, especially the Acurazine forum, and has kept me from buying a TL and although I am continuing to investigate its origin and possible resolution, I am concerned that in many cases there may be no resolution and if one gets stuck with a car that resonates, one is simply stuck with it.
    Hello, fellow Vancouverite. Enjoying the snow and freezing temperatures? I, luckily, do not have the vibration problem (so far). But I wonder if an extended test drive not uncover the problem if a certain car has it? Afterall, if the problem originates from an inherent defect in the driveline, or chassis, it should manifest itself from the get go. The only problem, I suppose, is not many dealers may want you to put on a couple of hundred KM on a car that you may not end up buying.
    The seats in the TL seem much firmer although one must remember that my M seats had 5.5 years to settle... I did find the M seats excellent. I'm not sure if I'm quite as comfy yet, I think it has to do with the seat bottom length (too short or long, just not sure yet). Not that I'm uncomfortable, it's just different. I'm only 5'10", so I fit just about any car. Note that my dad is 6'4" and he has an '04 and loves it.

Although the TSX is a very nice piece of work, I didn't consider it. I really wanted the style and horsepower of the TL. I'm not actually sure the TL is "worth" the extra ~$5K, but it was to me. I do know the Mercedes E320 ain't worth the extra ~$15k over the TL. But I did really enjoy the E...

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

There seems to be quite a bit of angst about this vibration issue on '04 TLs. I wanted to share a few opinions on this topic. First, anyone buying a first model year car after a complete redesign (new platform, etc) is taking risks that both quality and engineering bugs have been worked out. This would seem specially true in the beginning of a new production cycle (cars made in the first months of the redesign). One would expect a Honda/Acura, Toyota/Lexus, Nissan/Infiniti product to have better initial quality, based on data and the Japanese Kaizen (literally 'to make better') manufacturing philosophy. But, of course the defect rates may be higher initially. As for subsequent model years, I think you have to put some faith in Acura's obsession with quality and use of Kaizen techniques. They achieve better quality because they spot defects, tear apart their processes to find the cause, and fix it. This sounds simple but it is the major reason the Japanese care companies build better products, and they can achieve high quality in Ohio or Alabama, wherever, not just in Japan. Sooo....there is never any guarantee that you won't get a car or any product that is defect free, but your chances are certainly better with Acura than Chrysler, Ford, GM, and even recently Mercedes and Volkswagon. That's why you buy the Acura. I think this vibration thing is very unfortunate for the few people that bought '04's, but I wouldn't hesitate (and I didn't) on an '05.
    To be fair, Honda is not the only car company, or any company for that matter, to exhibit this behavior. Toyota did likewise with the sludge problem. In fact, they went one step further and actually blamed the consumer for the problem initially. With the tires, despite obvious problems, I don't think the problem is as widespread as it appears. Also, it's not as simple as just switching tire brand. I'm sure there is some complicated contract Honda has with Bridgestone that prevents Honda from just unilaterally dropping the Turanza. Who knows, it may be Bridgestone that's doing the stonewalling.
  • al57al57 Member Posts: 67
    could someone tell me how this car responds in the rain and snow,currently own 2000 maxima se with 26000 miles and is horrible in bad weather,is it the wide tire torque to the wheels,want to make a move not an error
    Funny you should ask, 'cause we're just in the midst of a cold spell here with about 4 - 6 inches of snow, ice, etc. I've had no problem navigating my TL to and from work, pick up my kids, etc. Stock all-seasons and all. Mind you, I have not had to go up any steep grades, or anything too tricky. And of course, you have to exercise good judgement with regard to speed and so on.
    I've had my TL for just over 2 weeks. Live in Iowa. For most of that time we've been hit with one wave after another of freezing rain or snow. So, I've had lots of time already in bad conditions. In fact, I'd like some dry roads so I could have fun with it. The car handles very well in the bad stuff. This is my first car with traction control, so I don't know how the TL would compare to other similar cars in bad conditions. I did drive a Maxima when shopping, in fact chose the TL over Maxima in part because I felt the handling/road feel were better. I'm have the stock all season tires and mine is a 6 sp. Getting started in slippery conditions with this clutch and manual can be a little tricky but the having the control of the manual for down-shifting is great.
    I had a '95 Maxima that had limited slip differential, and that also handled snow quite well. One thing about the TL. Because it has traction control which utilizes the brakes to control wheel spin, you have to try to minimize the traction control from activating as much as possible, or else you would start to smell the brakes burning after awhile!

BTW, I haven't done anything radical enough to test the effectively of the stability control. I think the VSA on the TL is programmed not to intrude too early.
  • sacdriversacdriver Member Posts: 33
    I have an '05 TL in Anthracite Metallac which I purchased two weeks ago. The car had been on the dealer's lot for one month. Following recommendations here, I ordered Zaino and was going to apply it today. I took the car to a touchless car wash as it was a little dirty and then drove just 1 mile home. When I went to start polishing the car, I noticed a fine dust like material all over it (not the windows though). When I tried to wipe it off, a lot of it would not adhear to a dry cloth-- it would just move around on the car- and what I did get off was black. I didn't drive on a newly paved road or anything, so I can't imagine what this stuff is. Is there a possibility it is some residue from the paint on the car? Has anyone else had a similar experience with an '05 TL in this color?
    It certainly handle better than my accord. It was almost a foot of snow outside my garage last week. The accord gave up on me so I didnt have much choice but to drive the TL. (one thing that I always try to avoid, salt n snow). The VSA was on and off but I drove the car easily for 30 feet (with an "S-shape" turning driveway) until I reached the main road. I was surprised and wanted to try it again but by the time I got home, there was not much snow left. The snow-plower did the job too well.

My brother has an '04 IS300 with snow traction control. IMO TL works the same way like the IS.
  • ktnrktnr Member Posts: 255
    My guess is that you're finding adhesive residue from the white plastic paint protection sheeting applied before the car was shipped.

While not a huge problem, it's disappointing how much of this residue is left on the paint when the dealer removes the exterior plastic. It'd be nice if Honda/Acura would use a different material that came off cleanly.
    I'm actually surprised your brother's RWD IS works as well as the TL in the snow, even with traction control. I see a lot of Bimmers with traction and stability control sliding all over the road when it snows.
    Does anyone knows if the TL's traction control also works when the car is in reverse. I was backing into the garage last night, and spun the wheels on a patch of ice, and I don't think the traction control kicked in. Or at least I didn't see the yellow indicator light on the dash flashing on.
  • tayl0rdtayl0rd Member Posts: 1,926
    Most traction control systems don't work in reverse.
    You might consider a better winter tire if you encounter a lot of snow. Tirerack does tire evaluations and the stock 04 all season tires score 3.5 of 10 for the snow. The list price from them is $212. I try not to take the TL out in really icy or snowy conditions.

As an aside, I had a 00 Maxima that had Toyo all seasons that handled the snow very well.
    IMO, LSD (not the drug) is superior to brake-activated traction control in the snow, since it doesn't counteract the forward progress.
  • sacdriversacdriver Member Posts: 33
    Any idea how to get the residue off? A car wash didn't do it and wiping it did nothing but move it around. I don't suppose I can put Zaino on the car with it in this condition.
  • 1violinist1violinist Member Posts: 338
    There's a cleaning kit that includes a bar of clay to take out all the residue and/or tough dirt off the car before you wax it. For more info, please check out:

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/inf-clay.html

http://www.customrodderweb.com/tech/0409cr_mothers2/

http://store.auto-geek.net/wg8000.html
    Bodble2,

My brother lives in colorado, Denver to be exact. His prev car was Mazda6. I have never seen the car yet nor driven it. He just bought it 3 weeks ago and been out in the snow since. Colorado has been hit by snow more often than where I live.

He said good things about the snow mode the vehicle has. His mazda6 had 1 major accident that cost his insurance $14k and 2 minor accidents due to tires or its allignment. I cant actually say its better or at least the same thou but he keeps driving the car more safely.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,188
    Actually, the brake-activation doesn't impede progress nearly as much as the stability control systems that cut power.... Sometimes, braking a wheel slightly, will help it "hook up" a little, but cutting power.. yeowww...

In heavy snow, you have to turn stability control off, or you'll never get anywhere..

Once you are moving on slick roads, however, stability control works wonders...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

But if you turn VSA off, you also turn traction control off, which leaves you with essentially the effect of an open differential and you may end up sitting there with one wheel spinning.
    Not in my car, it doesn't... When you turn off DSC in a BMW, you still have traction control..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• lemmerlemmer Member Posts: 2,689
    Is that new? In my wife's 2000 323i, I used to turn off the traction control and smoke the tires pretty well, as I felt the car needed some excitement on the weekends after a week of daycare duty.
    There might be a way to turn off traction control totally... But, the first stage, just turns off DSC and leaves traction control on.. I don't drive the car enough to have looked into it farther than that..

I did read up on how to achieve the fastest take-off from a dead start, though.... hmmm.. wonder why?

regards,

kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• lemmerlemmer Member Posts: 2,689
    All I did was pressed the DSC button once. Ours was a stick shift - don't know if that matters.
    DSC might have changed... ours is an '03.. and an automatic..

1) Push DSC button once..

2) Slide auto selector to manual, then click forward to get M1.

3) Take hand off shifter, put two hands on wheel.

4) Mash the pedal and say, "WWWHHHEEEEEEEEE"

But, traction control is still on...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• aaarghaaargh Member Posts: 230
    Perhaps this is a weird question...

I have the all-season floor mats. Each time I get into the car with snow, slush, etc... the floor mats get wet. So far so good.

My pant legs are constantly hanging in the salty, dirty water that accumulates. Anybody have the same problem? What do you do about it?
  • lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    "My pant legs are constantly hanging in the salty, dirty water that accumulates. Anybody have the same problem? What do you do about it?"

I pull my pant legs up a little after I get in.
  • smithdrgssmithdrgs Member Posts: 22
    on which exact models do you get the Michelins?, is it any with the Navs, or does it have to be Navs with 6-speed...?

And, are these the Pilot A/S? becuz on tirerack, the OE's they talk about are the Pilot HX MXM4, are not rated as well. ? thx.
  • 1violinist1violinist Member Posts: 338
    The good news is that you get Michelins with any model equipped with Navi regardless of the tranny; the bad news is it's HX MXM4, which is a poor tire in comparison to the Pilot Sport A/S, but at least much better than the notorious EL42!
    Wear flood pants. They're not called flood pants for nothing! :)
  • brew99brew99 Member Posts: 86
    I wasn't crazy about the floor mats that acura was offering with the TL - seemed a little cheap and a little slippery if I remember correctly. Bought some good winter/all season mats that collect the water down below and never have any problem with salt or water.
    The winter mats that we have in our Accord are actually called "Pant Saver", I believe. The mat consists of deep rubber grooves so your pant legs won't come into contact with the water collected there.
    As I complete my third week of TL ownership, my only ? at this point are the tires. So far in limited snow/slippery conditions duty, I don't think I'm impressed with the winter grip. Tire Rack reviews give the ELs terrible snow performance rating and so far my TC & ABS have already engaged more often than they did all last winter in my 300M with the often maligned Goodyear Eagle LS tires. The Goodyears did ok by me.

I'll see how the tires continue to handle this winter. Other than that, I'm really enjoying the quite ride and smooth, strong power delivery! Of course, I can't keep the car clean with our crazy N.E. weather, which always drives me nuts! And I still have no intention of paying for XM. Nice, but far from necessary.

After our major snowfalls and deep freeze, our roads here are full of cracks and pot holes. And I have to admit, for the first time, I am experiencing the jarring ride that others have complained about. Worse is that not only is it tough on your kidneys, it also brings out the noise gremlins!