Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Older Acura TLs

Comments

• kfhmailkfhmail Member Posts: 199
    Anyone out that know if Acura "usually' makes any modifications (maybe minor ones) for the 3rd year of a model style?

I am talking about things like slightly changing the front grill or front end, color choices, or any other minor modifications inside or out of the car.

In other words is it business as usuall to make changes in the 3rd year?

Thanks.
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    You may see some minor cosmetic changes in the 3rd year, and an earnest refreshingly in the 4th year when serious improvements take place. Although for the TL, I'm not sure how much hardware you can add to it without robbing RL sales.
  • ljwalters1ljwalters1 Member Posts: 294
    I'd expect that when they do a full "refreshing," as you call it, they'll add automatic headlights, all-wheel drive (as an option) and incorporate traffic reports into the nav system.
  • aaarghaaargh Member Posts: 230
    I seriously doubt they will add AWD as it will cannibalize RL sales. Especially if they add the real-time traffic to the navigation system.

We'll see.
    Guess we'll see. I think the G35 added awd, and I think the TL will do it to keep up, and maybe draw in some anti-fwd drivers. As far as cannibalizing the RL, I se your point, though I think if the TL as the more sporty and the RL as more luxurious. The RL would still have more luxury features (I think). I know your response already - having more might not be enough to justify the added expense.

It might depend on what they intend to do with the RL in 2005/2006. Maybe they'll add a v8 engine to it, and upgrade the nav to recognize spoken street names? I understand the M35/45 nav recognizes spoken street names.
  • giovanni1giovanni1 Member Posts: 106
    A V8 in the TL? I doubt that will never happen, I don't believe Honda even uses a V8 in any of it's vehicles.
    I actually think the TL would get a hyhrid version before it would get AWD, since the Accord has a hybrid. But V8 is definitely out of the question. If they offered a V8 in the RL, then maybe, just maybe, the TL would get the SH-AWD system.

But auto-headlights, ventilated seats, keyless access, 8-way power passenger seat, etc would be more likely upgrades.
    I was talking about adding a v8 to the RL, not TL. If they had a v8 in the RL, that would further distinguish it from the TL, so they could upgrad the TL in year 4 or 5 and not take away from RL sales.

Good point about Honda needing to create a new engine to do this.
    What have 04' and '05 (if any) TL owners been charged for the "B" level service by their dealers?

According to the manual, it's pretty much the same as the "A" service except there are inspections.

Thanks in advance.
  • shs111shs111 Member Posts: 39
    My B level service just cost $88 at Boston Acura.
    $88? Wow.

I was quoted between $148 and $165 from the three Northern Ohio Acura Dealers. Did this include all the inspections, tire rotation, and oil change?

FYI, My "A" service was around $75.

Thanks.
  • spfoteyspfotey Member Posts: 131
    am curious if there are any former 3 owners -- who have bought the TL. we have the old TL (1999) and it has been very reliable but want something sportier that also doesn't feel like it was generated by a computer. looking for feedback on this TL -- is it fun to drive?
    I've never driven a 3 Series (I want a larger car and the 5 series is just out of my range), but love my '04 TL. I have the manual tranny, which gives me a firmer suspension, and I'd say it's a very sporty ride. Very good acceleration and great handling. I live in a city, so I get more opportunities to test the handling than the outright acceleration. Some people will deride the fwd, but frankly, it hasn't been an issue for me (though there is some torque steer if I really push it off the line). For day-to-day driving, it's very sporty, and on curvy roads it's very sporty. I only see the fwd being an issue if you will regularly be pushing your car as fast as it can go fr 0 to 60.
  • duonduon Member Posts: 2
    I own a 04 TL and i blew my sub by cranking up the discrete control to subwoofer +6 then blasting it to techno and trance with alot of bass. Now whenever i turn on the sub, i get a crackling disturbance even at low volume. Has anyone else come across this problem and does anyone know if this problem is covered under the factory warranty. Im just surprised that the engineers would overlook the maximum power output of the receiver to the sub and the max power the sub could handle.
  • duonduon Member Posts: 2
    i used to have the moonroof visor installed on my 04 TL until i decided to go on a top speed run down a long empty streech of highway. everything was going fine until at about 200 km/h or 120 mp/h when the visor starts to shake. i didnt mind it so i keep pushing. a couple a moments later, a hear a loud boom and there goes my visor and the moonroof along with it glass and all. i went back to the dealer, told them the story and got it fixed free of charge and got a refund for the visor.
    this is a warning to all TL owners with a moonroof visor. "do not do a top speed run with the moonroof visor, it'll rip off your moonroof" and cause alot of inconvience
  • matthewstlmatthewstl Member Posts: 15
    spfotey,

I have a response in this discussion group a few pages back. I leased a 2002 330i with 5 spd, premium and sport packages. I returned it and leased a 6 spd TL with A/S tires (I since upgraded the tires to Max Performance A/S which I'd recommend. A longer story.)

Here's my short answer. Edmunds has the exact right approach. If money is no object, the BMW 3 Series is awesome. It simply drives and handles better than the Acura TL. I loved it!

However, for most of us, money is a strong consideration. My guess is that a comparably equipped 330i (bigger engine, various option packages, etc.) will run you $8-$10k more than the Acura TL. Is it worth it? Depends on what else you will do with the money you save. I think it is a very individual decision. When you factor in the "value proposition" the Acura TL is very compelling.

All that said, I am very happy with the Acura TL and would recommend to anyone. No, it does not handle/perform as well as my old 330i, but it does a lot of things very well and is a lot of fun to drive. It's fast, the transmission is great, its bigger than the BMW, has a great stereo, great seats and a great climate control system. I've owned Honda products in the past and love their ergonomics (better than BMW) and overall build and quality. Both cars have super engines.

If you've never owned a BMW and have the money, go for it. Recommend you wait for the 2006 to hit the lots and drive both cars.

Have fun and good luck.
  • fdcapt2fdcapt2 Member Posts: 122
    I was wondering if anyone was lucky enough to get to the show and check out the upcoming Acura models. Was there an '06 TL there by any chance? If not, was any info available on changes, no matter how small on the '06 TL. It's really starting to suck when most other manufacturers are showcasing their new stuff, and us TL people are kept in the dark. Thanks for any help
  • gb23278gb23278 Member Posts: 4
    Alright, I am looking to get a 05 or 06 TL. I am interested in knowing more about the audio system. I am not really interested in the dvd-audio, i really listen to just cds and mp3s. I am not really interested in XM. Can I remove the XM input from the head unit and connect an mp3 player? Any other ways to connect an mp3 excluding an fm transmitter (lose of too much sound quality for me)? Now to my biggest question, and this would probably be directed to someone who has the TL with experience in aftermarket audio systems. How does the sound system in the TL compare to an aftermarket system like this (the one I have):
    -Rockford Fosgate Component fronts (2 tweeters & 2 main)
    -6x9 3-way Pioneer rears
    -Speakers powered by a no name brand 200watt amp (not sure if it is really 4x50 watts, do not know the rating on it, was given to me for free)
    -2 10 inch rockford fosgate subs, powered with 300watt rockford fosgate amp
    -Pioneer Head unit

I want clarity but i need power too because I like to listen to my music loud. As you can see my current system is by no means that powerful, but I would like something better than it being that i am spending this much on such a nice car.
    How easy is it to add subs to the new TLs? Any input would be great on these topics. I have heard how great the audio system is for dvd audios and xm, and these features are great for use in the future, but right now they are not what I need.
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    I seriously considered the 2004 330i, 530i and 545i (all manual transmissions) before buying a 2004 TL 6-speed last May.

I found the 2004 330i too small to adequately cart my wife and two pre-teen kids on long weekend trips. We recently replaced our Isuzu Trooper with an MDX, but I still like the idea of having two vehicles that can comfortably haul the family. The 5-series looks hadn't grown on me at the time and the 545i 6-speed was up into the $60k range. Great car, but not a great value, IMO.

After 13,500 miles with my TL 6-speed I would say it's "fun to drive", with the only real limit to it's handling and performance being the FWD setup. It's also a great value given all of the standard features and Acura build quality and reliability.

However, if I were in the market again today, I would check out the new 2006 330i arriving in April. It's supposedly almost identical to the previous generation 5-series in size and got a power upgrade to 255 horsepower. It would be difficult for me to give up the Acura navigation system, and all of the standard features of the TL now that I've gotten used to them. However, the RWD setup and BMW driving dynamics clearly make it the class leader in "fun to drive".
    I read this posting in the morning and it made me laugh --only because I now really feel old. I have no idea what any of this equipment is or what it does. I don't even know how to use a MP3 player!!

Having said that, I'm not sure the Acura TL Audio system allows for too much upgrading. Even w/out the nav, the dashboard is all very integrated and tied into the radio. This is mostly for use with XM, but is still pretty slick.

If you Google "ELS Surround" you'll get the web site of the the radio and the audio system. It will give specs on the speakers etc.

You may also want to check out some of the Japanese manufacturers as I think they are including MP3 capability in their audio systems. The Acura TL does not.

I really like the stereo, it is easy to use, the XM is all integrated and great, the sound is fine. My bet is you'll be disappointed however. I'm not sure it was designed to play really loud.
    Strictly out of curiosity, but why do you figure you need 2 vehicles capable of hauling your entire family? You would never need both to serve that function at the same time, unless you are preparing for the possibility that one would be down for an extended period (which also seems remote).

I would also dare to venture that with an MDX, you would likely always use that for family outings since its capacity makes it naturally more suited for that.

Now I concede that you will need a back seat for the "second vehicle" since you will likely carry an extra passenger from time to time. But it would seem the 330i would suffice on that count.
    Fair question. Until January 2005, our SUV was a 1996 Isuzu Trooper. It was the logical choice for any extended trips that required lots of luggage, bikes, etc.. But, given it's rather truck like driving dynamics and 15 mpg fuel economy, I'd take our Nissan Maxima on long weekend trips whenever possible (we do a 800 mile roundtrip every 6+/- weeks to visit my mother).

Now that we have a 2005 MDX that drives 1,000% better than the Trooper and gets 22 mpg on the highway, the need/preference for a second family haouler is somewhat diminished. But it's still nice to have a sedan that can serve as a backup. If I were willing to give that up, a Phoenix Yellow M3 might find it's way into my garage in lieu of either a TL or 330i sedan! Or a 2005 911S convertible that can actually hold my duaghters in the back seat. See what fantasies you have invoked?!?
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,068
    M3 or 911...

Hmmm.. ditch that TL.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

My fantasies aren't as lofty as an M3 or 911 (well, some of my fantasies are lofty, but that's another topic altogether!), but the new SLK 350 has got me thinking about ditching the TL. If only the TL didn't look so damn gorgeous, my decision would be a lot easier!
  • highenderhighender Member Posts: 1,358
    stilll says she gets lots of compliments on her TL...

I still like it...

even if Peter Pan BMW is offering new 2005 325 and 330i at wholesale prices....

no problems yet...
  • smithdrgssmithdrgs Member Posts: 22
    I wanted to try to switch the tires during by purchase of the TL-non Navi. bad snow performance reviews. whats the best way to negotiate around that- try a straight switch for the Michelins (which aren't that good), get an allowance from acura and buy new ones somewhere else? ask for a trade-in with a tire company? or bundle the cost into the price of the car (figuring that pay at the tire company and do a trade-in)? thanks.
    I know this may belong on the prices forum, but nobody there replied. :(
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,068
    1) I would first approach the dealer... See if he will swap out for tires you want for a nominal fee.. ($100?).

2) If that doesn't seem to work, find a tire dealer that handles both brands, and ask how much to swap on the day you pick up the car.. (figure $200 or more for this).

3) Take whatever comes on the car.. After driving awhile, you may have a different opinion of them than others do... Plus, if you are buying soon, you'll get six months out of them before winter comes, anyway.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• ssemonssemon Member Posts: 9
    I recently introduced my new TL to a new Southern California pothole, ruining a brand new Bridgestone. When I went to replace the tire, the Acura dealer said that the Honda lease agreement requires that the same make of tires be on all four rims when returned. If I replace the Bridgestones with Michelins on all four rims when I return the vehicle then it's fine, but if I have three Bridgestones and one Michelin then they'll charge for the cost of a new Bridgestone.

I'm checking the lease agreement (need a magnifying glass - damn my eyes are old) but this could be a concern for those of you that are thinking of leasing from Honda.
  • igibanigiban Member Posts: 530
    So I dialed on my cell first and used Transfer so I could continue the conversation HF, but it then somehow 'transfered back' to my cell on its own, and I had to transfer again (while the other side of phone confused). Just wonder if anyone uses transfer on HFL often and how does it work out for you?
    You probably wouldn't want to mix different brands of tires anyway.
  • formerbmw5formerbmw5 Member Posts: 2
    Use it all the time, works without a problem Maybe you hit the button again or said transfer twice. I've had that happen when I thought I didn't hit the button and ended up saying transfer 2X and it did what you said.
    I tried to do the same when I leased my TL. There isn't much the Dealer can do for you or will do for you. I sucked it up and took the Bridgestones off the car and went to Costco and bought 4 Michelin Pilot Sport All Seasons. Installed they ran about $800. Great tires and work very well in snow and rain. Work great in normal dry conditions. Obviously expensive.

As I'm leasing and don't put a lot of miles on the car, I expect that I'll wear the Michelin's out with about 3-6 months left in the lease. I kept the Bridgestones and will put them back on the car for the remainder of the lease. Basically, I figure I'll need to replace the tires once during the lease so why not do it at the beginning and get a lot of use out of the better tires.

Another idea you may want to try to only use the Bridgestones in winter and buy a set of really good Summer tires. You'll love them in everything but snow. Not sure how much driving you do in the snow, but the Bridgestones may be "ok" in the occaisional snow. You'll have the deal with the hassle of switching tires twice a year, however.
    My Acura dealer also sells Mercedes, so I checked out the new SLK350 when I was in for an oil change a few weeks ago. Very impressive and a dramatic improvement. When I bought a 2002 Honda S2000 in late 2001, the other cars I considered were the Boxster S and Z3/Z4. The SLK320 was just not a "driver's car" with average handling and acceleration.

The new SLK350 6-speed (AMG sport package) was a treat to drive. There is still nothing like winding out the S2000 to 9,000 rpm, but the SLK350 offers both impressive performance and luxury in a highly attractive package.

Back to the TL. Has anybody out there put more than 14,000 miles on a 6-speed with the HPT tire package. Any projection in how long the tires will last?? How about the Brembo brakes??
    Summer tires rarely go for more than 20,000 miles. Depending on how you drive and how you maintain - pressure, rotation, etc., they not even last that long. Keep checking the tread on them. Once they go, you'll be hydroplaning all the time.
    BMW's web site has posted the pricing on the new 3 series. Does not appear they've raised prices too much. Still a significant premium over the TL. I bet they start hitting the lots pretty soon. I'll torture myself and test drive one......
    Do you think the SLK offers decent value for the $$. Of course, not compared against Acura or Honda, but against similar premium brands and model? I wonder because apparently a power driver seat is an option.

And I wish my Acura dealer also sells MB, since that would allow me to stay "in the family". We've bought several cars thru this dealership group and they give me a bit of the VIP treatment which I appreciate. And one of the salesmen that I've gotten to know quite well has just been promoted to sales manager. If they sold MB, an SLK would likely sit in my garage a lot sooner!
  • jkgreer2jkgreer2 Member Posts: 42
    Habitat1: I highly respect your posts. Keep up the interesting comments. I have about 13 K on my 2004, 6sp TL, although I switched out the HPT tires before delivery for slightly less high performance Bridgestone tires. I expect about 30 K from the current set of tires, with much better wet traction. I will provide the model/type of tires when I remember to look. Regarding Brembo brakes, I have some squeeling of brake pads, but no significant deterioration in pad depth. Will pressure Dealer to replace pads in the next 5 K, if squeeling does not cease. Thank you for opinion on the MB SLK350, 6-speed. Enjoy your TL, regardless of the very FEW others who are intent on degrading the TL on this board.
  • highenderhighender Member Posts: 1,358
    what brand is the HPT tires ?

I have the 18 inch rims with Yokohama tires...and they seem to be wearing a little....We have 9000 miles on the TL...

still get lots of compliments...
    Thanks. Curious as to why you switched out of the HPT tires at delivery. They were a $200 option that I specifically ordered/requested. I have been pleased with their performance, but knew that the tread life would be less. Had I intended to switch out of the standard (non-HPT) tires, I wouldn't have ordered the HPT and paid the extra $200.

On the squeeling Brembos, mine don't. However, my dealer offered to change them for free if they do, or if they just appear worn at my next "B" service. Apparantly a service bulletin from Acura authorizes dealers to replace them if customers complain.
    SLK350 a decent value?? That's highly subjective. Back 3.5 years ago when I bought a 2002 Honda S2000 for $32k, the SLK230 was a $48k non-sports car and the Boxster S was $58k if you included a steering wheel and tires. I think for about $54k (less 7% for European Delivery), the new SLK350 6-speed (nicely equiped) would be a decent value given my current financial situation. However, that's still a lot of money for a "fun car". The Honda S2000 remains my value leader, the new 911 S Cabriolet my preference if I abandon value (although it will cart my kids in the back seat) and the Ferrari 430 if I completely go insane.
  • chugheschughes Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2004 TL and the sound system is great while playing CDs, DVDAs or XM radio....but there is noticeable intermitted static while playing local FM stations. Any solutions to why this may exist?
  • ugafanugafan Member Posts: 3
    Anyone know what changes will be made on the Acura TL for 2006? I will probably be purchasing in the next few weeks, but could be persuaded to wait. When does Acura announce the new changes for the model year usually? Thanks.
  • giovanni1giovanni1 Member Posts: 106
    I believe Acura usually doesn't release this information until sometime in August.
    At this point in the year, I think it'd be a great idea for you to wait, so that if you're willing to take a 2005, you'll get a better deal from a dealer looking to get make room for the new model. As an aside, the only diff btn the '04 & '05 (I think) is that the '05 has an airbag sensor. If there's no big changes for '06, you might be able to get an '04 coming off a 2-year lease.

Word of warning: make sure you test drive the '04 at speeds around 50 mph. My '04 is perfect, but I heard some '04s shake at about 50 mph.
  • smbsmb Member Posts: 1
    I am interested in leasing the 6M 2005 Acura TL. Does anyone have any experience with snow driving in the 05 or 04 models with the manual transmission? I am a bit concerned that it may be a problem.

Thanks
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,731
    Check out which tires come standard with the 6MT. I have the '05 non-navi auto w/Bridgestone Turanza EL42 tires. These tires are NOT GOOD IN THE SNOW!!! I was shocked how often the traction electronics (incl. ABS) came on this winter, and I found myself more aware than ever when driving in the white stuff I enjoy so much (being more aware isn't necessarily a bad thing...). If you're regularly heading to the mountains, or just live in a hilly snow belt, be aware (I'm in New England). Go to tirerack.com and check out the online reviews of the tires you'll be getting for a better idea.

A bit over 3 months and 3000 miles, great car! Only issue is the occasional temp guage/radio presets disappearance, solved by a reboot.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• piuspius Member Posts: 4
    I am a new 2002 TLS automatic owner. After gas pedal release on constant
    25mph, rpm seems to keep high at 1500 for a while and rolling for a long
    distance. It seems much longer than Accord or Camry automatic in similiar
    situation. Is it normal?

I have a 2004 TL 6-speed with the "HPT" (high performance tire) package which replaced the standard Bridgestone Tourenzas with Bridgestone Potenzas. The Potenzas are much better handling on dry pavement, but pretty bad in the snow. I grew up in the snow belt, so I was fine with the occassional light snow in Washington DC this past winter, but I would not recommend these tires for more serious winter driving.

Your question seems to suggest you fear that a manual transmission would pose more of a problem (than an automatic) in winter driving. In my experience, the opposite is true, at least if you know how to drive a stick. Bottom line with either transmission is having good winter tires.
    I have a 6MT and could see why an automatic might do better in snow. I know the TL is supposed to have low torque at low RPMs, but the clutch engages so low that I generally find that I accelerate pretty quickly. In snow, I'd imagine that would make me more conducive to wheel-spin. I live in Fla, so I haven't experienced snow with the car, but I could see how an automatic ould start out more slowly and, thus, spin less in the snow.
  • akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    That's why you start the manual in 2nd or 3rd - to avoid wheelspin.
    Same for the automatic now that I think about it.