Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Older Acura TLs

Comments

• bhelsdonbhelsdon Member Posts: 134
    Yes I get the same thing when I log on.
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    Wonder if edmunds will fix that? Security alert of any kind scares me! :cry:
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    It has been reported: jbollt, "Forums Software! Your Questions Answered..." #2041, 14 Jul 2005 9:40 am

What's happening is www.edmunds.com is being redirected to secure.edmunds.com for login purposes. I don't think that that is anything new functionally. What has changed to create that error, I don't know.

I understand the uneasiness, but there is no security issue. Something new or changed on this site isn't handling the redirect in the way the browser thinks it should be handled, so you get that message.
    Thank you for the explanation.
  • g1cv66275g1cv66275 Member Posts: 8
    I'm interested in purchasing an Acura TL Nighthawk Black. With Camel interior. Does anyone know if it a nice mix? I only see black exterior with gray or black interior. Thanks guys and keep up the good conversations!
  • frisconickfrisconick Member Posts: 1,275
    I don't think the seats in the TL are going to get much lower over time. They are very high quality and somewhat firm.
    Yes, that's a sharp combo, although black will be high-maintenance. I've got the Abyss Blue/Camel. I think the Camel looks great.
  • ljwalters1ljwalters1 Member Posts: 294
    Agreed. I have green/camel and love it. I think camel is the nicest interior the TL has. Still, if I wanted to pick on something, I'd say camel looks "busier" than the black or gray interior. That's b/c all TLs have black dashboards and the tops of each door is black. Then there's the silver trim. After those, the camel does give a sharp contrast. I don't find it ostentatious (really - and if anything, I prefer things to blend and look classy rather than stand out), but it is noticable. Still black and camel is a nice combo on the inside. I'm sure it'll look great.

Keep in mind that wiht camel & tan interiors, the TL has wood accents,as opposed to the carbon fiber accents of the black and gray interior. Don't know if that matters to you.
    I saw a green TL today, and based on posts here, I was very impressed and looked at it in different way . It is a very distinctive color, and changes constantly based on the lighting. :)
  • delmar1delmar1 Member Posts: 744
    Wow...that is the first Dark Green you have seen? Ok...not totally unexpected as it a less common car. And the best thing about the green...you don't have too many others in that color that will pull up next to you at a signal light.

I believe Ljwalters1 was indicating the camel is a bit busy in colors. I selected the parchment because it is similar to camel....but less busy...and really adds more rarity as there aren't too many parchment interiors floating around. The great thing about both camel and parchment is that it makes the interior of the TL looks much larger than the darker colors...and has shows more definition of the contours.

Either way....all the interior colors look great in the TL...just as all the exterior colors are wonderful. You cannot go wrong.
    No it was not the first green I have seen, it was the second :P However, it was the first that I saw since I saw posts here describing how unique it was, so I saw it with a different perspective.
    What would be the most common colors you have seen?
    Here in San Francisco I would say anthracite, not doubt, second would be silver or white. Green is the least common. Others claim the silver is the most common. I have talked to dealers and they say the anthracite of the silver are the most common.
  • ljwalters1ljwalters1 Member Posts: 294
    for me, silver is more common, followed by anthracite and then red and black (tied). I'm astonished that I don't see more tan b/c I think the car looks great in that tan metallic.
  • 4thaccord4thaccord Member Posts: 7
    This is a weird question, but I'm a new TL owner (04 Satin Silver) and was wondering if there's supposed to be something on the gas filler door that holds the gas cap. Mine only has the string holding the cap, but nothing on the door itself like my Accord had to hold the cap.

Otherwise I'm enjoying the car very much, despite its faults (yes, my doors rattle, and the previous owner totally abused it - scrathes all over the wheels, dents they had to repaint, marks all over the interior, etc.) I feel like I've rescued an abused animal from the pound :)
    I agree, I see the tan as a light gold and it is great looking. This color was very popuar for Toyota. I have only seen one on the road. I have seen more blues than reds or blacks. I didn't like the anthracite at first, but do now.
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    The string on the gas cap should have a little knob that slips into a notch in the filler door. Not as neat and clean as your Accord and our MDX, but it works.

Out of curiosity, what did you pay for your "rescued" TL? If it has been abused and had dents that needed to be repainted, I sure hope you got a hefty discount (i.e. at least than 20-25%) over what you could have bought a new one for (and that's closer to invoice, nowhere near MSRP).
  • 4thaccord4thaccord Member Posts: 7
    Thanks for the info, habitat1...I had seen that know but didn't put the 2 together.

No one is going to give you 25% off a year-old car unless it's half demolished. Mine isn't that bad; as a matter of fact I'm very particular but I did a walk around before I bought it and didn't really notice anything major (silver is more forgiving). Once I had it a while I noticed the stuff they tried to fix, and it was all listed on the Certified Preowned checklist, so it's not like they were trying to hide anything. It looks like the door may have just had nicks in it, and it might have looked better if they had just left it alone LOL. I just can't believe people who would buy a car like this and not even care.
    Anyway, thanks again for the gas cap info...I would have felt stupid going in there and asking for a replacement for a part that doesn't exist.
    Silver is very forgiving for everything, dirty and all. :P
  • proffyproffy Member Posts: 46
    One of the things I've found lacking in the TL is an mp3 player. I've noticed many cars have them nowdays, including the G35 I drove this weekend. Has anyone bought an aftermarket mp3 player stereo (or hooked up an iPod) to their TL? How did it go and how did you do it?
    Glad I could help with the gas cap.

As far as the deal you got, sounds like your car wasn't quite as abused as Eddie Murphy's car in Beverly Hills Cop. Nonetheless, I don't think 20%+ off is an unreasonable target price for a one year old car with a few blemishes. After all, the car drops 10% in value the moment you drive it off the lot. Another 10%+ for a year of use (and minor abuse) is not unreasonable, IMO. On the other hand, I have never bought a used car, so perhaps my depreciation expectations are not shared by the used car buying market. I could just as easily be questioned for considering a 2005 Boxster S for $60k instead of a nearly new 2004 for $48k.
  • acuragirlnyacuragirlny Member Posts: 1
    the colors look great together. i've seen several cars with that color combo and it looks great. if you have any questions about the TL please feel free to reply or email.
    I saw a green TL parked on the street that had a grey interior, I have never seen a new TL with a grey interior. :surprise:
    You might have to check your eyes as I believe the dark green only comes in camel or parchment. No grey. :surprise:
  • tsx4metsx4me Member Posts: 10
    Good day Acura owners of the world,
    I was inquiring as to plus sizes for 2004 and newer TL's. What is the maximun width recomended for rims, without adversly affecting ride ie. back panel rubbing on tire walls. Does anyone have experience with 19" and 20" rims on new TL's? Please inform.

Thanks
    How would you describe parchment? I am not trying to be funny, just curious.
    Oh...geez...how would I describe the Acura TL parchment.

Well...first...when I think of parchment...I think of the old world papers you would find in Italy. Perhaps tan. That is what I was envisioning when I was looking into buying a TL.

Well...how I would describe parchment in a TL is a creme color. Not tan. But a very light and neutral hue. A color which you might very well find in a fine french vanilla ice creme?

Camel...a very very bold color compared to parchment. Overpowered me when I saw it for the first time.

I think when you looked and saw the interior color you saw...it was probably from the outside...and as you know...the glass is colored green. So since the parchment interior is so light...it was distorted to the color you saw.

What you say? Hope I described it.
    Thanks, that is what I probably saw. Also, I only saw it for a few seconds.
  • taxesquiretaxesquire Member Posts: 681
    Light tan. You know how with tan casual pants, you have the light tan that almost looks white, and then the medium tan? The medium tan is more like camel. Parchment is sorta between the light and medium. I guess if you looked through a tinte window, the parchment could look gray. Is that where you're going with this?

I think the shade is rpetty common, so if you've seen another car's light tan, the TLs is probably similar.

I don't think Acura makes a light gray, only a charcoal, right? Wonder why that is?
    The 'light gray' is called 'Quartz' for the Acura interior. That is a nice color....in between a gray and charcoal. I had it in my Acura CL that I owned.

Your description of parchment is good. See...better than my description! However...I believe the tone is still lighter than most other makers and not as common. Or maybe that is because of the contrast to the other components of the interior.

Either way...all the interior (and exterior) colors are great.
    Agreed. But I think that rather than "quartz." they should have a gray that is as light as the parchment. That would round things out with Black, Parchment and Camel. There should be a light interior on the gray side, and it doesn't sound like Quartz is light. Is it the same Quartz I had in my old-model CL (2.2 or something similar)? If so, it's definitely dark, and seems kind of redundant with black.
    So it must have been Quartz that I saw. Just curious. BTW, I thought it looked great on second thought. :shades:
    As I am sure you aware, the standard tires for the TL are 235/45 series 17". I have the W-rated HPT tire package (optional on the 6-speed only). It was suggested to me that I repalce the 235 width tires with 245's to provide a bit more rim protection. The rims are wide for the tire size and are easily scraped on curbs.

As far as 19" or 20" aftermarket tires, I assume you also know this is a FWD sedan, not a high performance RWD sports car. You certainly aren't going get any noticable performance improvement out of putting on oversize wheels and tires. And, as far as looks, the standard 17" fill the wheel wells nicely.
    Frisconick...I don't believe you saw a Quartz interior in the Dark Green exterior car. Because the only interior colors that go with the dark green are camel or parchment.

I still think the reason you saw that color is because of the tinted windows.

:shades:
  • sb55sb55 Member Posts: 616
    Habitat,
    When 245 wide tires were mentioned to you did the section change to 245/40, or will you stick with 245/45?
    I have 27K miles on my '05 TL an d will need tires before winter. I have also noticed that there is a are more choices for 245's rather than 235's.
    Thanks

2021 Toyota Venza Limited Hybrid, 2022 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.4 Hemi, 2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,221
    You wouldn't want to go to 245/40, because they would be much shorter in diameter than the 235/45... Going to 245/45 would be a minimal change in comparison... just a little taller...

I don't think I'd do that, just for rim protection, though....

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

You are right no doubt, you are always right :cry: :P . I just discovered my windows are slightly tinted and it does change the look of the interior.
    Hey...you better check the color of your interior....maybe you didn't get the black interior you wer expecting :surprise: . I am not always right...no way...atleast that is what all the G35 drivers are telling me.
    I was told to stick with 45 series when going up to the 245's. I haven't checked, but I have to believe that 40 series is an odd size with few choices.

Interesting that my Honda S2000 managed 18,000 miles on it's original staggered size tires, but my TL is in need of new tires at that same mileage. Considering they have been rotated and the car has not been driven like a sports car, that's got me looking at higher wear ratings on the replacments.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 235,221
    Keep in mind.. wear ratings aren't absolutes.. they aren't comparable between brands.. just between models of the same brand...

Does that sound wrong? I know it does, but believe it or not, entirely accurate.

245/45 is just a little bit taller than 235/45.. But, 245/40 is a whole lot shorter than 235/45...

You'd need something like 265/40-17 to get the same diameter in a 40-series tire.. and those would be way to wide..

I hear the most favorable reviews on Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 for summer tires.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• juddlaw1juddlaw1 Member Posts: 9
    I posted two messages in the buying section. If anyone has some "expert" advice and answers - I would certainly appreciate them. Didn't want to re-post in this section and offend anyone if it was the wrong forum (my apologies). Inquiring into some prices and '06 changes. You all sound SOOO helpful. Thanks!
    You are right again! :cry: It looked like a darker black than before. :P
    Frisco, weren't you in the market for a new vehicle, and were anticipating buying a G35 coupe towards the end of last month? What happened?
    I am expanding my choices again :cry: The G35 coupe is still at the top of the list, are you a tax lawyer? I just read your handle closely for the first time. :P

But I still think the TL is the smartest choice out there. But I do think that 2 TL's in the garage would be silly. Maybe a new BMW 330ci would look nice in the garage, but G coupe is much more uncommon, I just can't decide. :cry:
    Don't do two of the same cars....don't. It would take all the joy out of the current TL....trust me...seen and heard too much from others that have done it.

G coupe uncommon? Hmmm...that is why I got the TL....too many G coupes around here.

I hear perhaps a consideration of a "M" also? Wow...a lotta gadgets...maybe too many.
  • nightcrawler29nightcrawler29 Member Posts: 146
    Black exterior is very nice, but it gets dirty easily, you notice the scratches much often, and then its a hard color to maintain so you have to clean it and wax it often.... and then in summer you'll be baking yourself in there.... Tan interior with black exterior is ok I guess, but I would personally preffer a darker interior color... but then they might mistake you for a drug dealer if the car is black inside/out and then if it just happens to have tinted windos. ;)
    yes - tax law is my game. pensions and welfare plans in particular.

Anyway, I wouldn't buy 2 TLs. It's a great car, but it'd be much nicer to have soemthing different. From what I hear of the Infiniti M, if it cam in stick it'd be my dream car!!!!

As far as the G35 Coupe, I understand why it's at the top. I had an opportunity to drive a 350 ZX convertable around and it was a blast. Definitely too harsh to be my everyday car, but an absolute blast. I'd expect the G35 to ride a tad softer, and have some more luxuries.

And I still think a Corvette is a great value!!!
    But the G coupe is so cool, and much less commen than a BMW. :P
    the vette is a great car, but the g35 coupe is a Japanese car , I think, looks better, and more relaible. I personally think American cars are junk. :cry: