Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Older Acura TLs

Comments

• Options
    laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,733
    Yesterday I cut the lawn. While it was snowing. The snow intensified and by 7pm the world here was white. Lovely, but sloppy.
    Today, 65 degrees, all the snow is gone and I washed/Zaino Z6 my '05 Abyss Blue TL. Lovely. My neighbor is cutting his lawn in t-shirt and shorts. Maybe I should have waited a day...
    Now, off to the Lexus dealer to get the evil wife's RX washed and check out the new IS. I'm waiting for the rumored hardtop convertible.

Yes, the TL requires 91 octane premium. Always a hot topic of discussion.

Going to Gillette tonight to see the Pats crush the Bills. I hope. Welcome back, Tedy.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    aaarghaaargh Member Posts: 230
    Is premium gas required for the TL

It is recommended. There are many discussions on the TL boards about this. I recommend you do a search.

The short answer is YES though. Performance and gas mileage go down when you go below 91 octane. My opionion (as well as those of many others) is that if you are going to pay $30K+ for a car, you can afford the extra 20 cents/gallon to get all of what you paid for.
  • Options
    nb06nb06 Member Posts: 4
    Anyone know what the TL stands for?

thx.
  • Options
    taxesquiretaxesquire Member Posts: 681
    I believe I recall another poster on this forum explaining that it stood for "Touring Luxury."
  • Options
    prigglypriggly Member Posts: 642
    http://www.informedforlife.org/CRSriskorder.pdf

The TL is #4 on the list while the RL is #1! Now, that IS impressive.

Check out also the detailed explanation (it puts it all in perspective) of why 5 Star crash safety ratings are not good enough:

http://www.informedforlife.org/why.htm
  • Options
    gonzo2005gonzo2005 Member Posts: 1
    We just ordered the white diamond pearl w/nav and parchment interior. The parchment comes automatically (I believe) with the wood accents versus the metal. It is lovely. We are having the dealer add the door molding and splash guards. Window tint, door edge guards, and wheel locks come with the sales price. We are picking it up on 11/11. We test drove the black with the saddle (tan) interior and that is one very striking combination. The saddle is a little too orangey for me but the first glance is impressive.

BTW, we are driving our new baby from Phoenix (where we purchased) to Denver. I've heard in the past that you need to be gentle with new cars until the first 1K miles. Is that urban legend or for real?
  • Options
    ljay2ljay2 Member Posts: 9
    Re: break-in driving. The 2005 owner's manual (I got my 2005 last month) says that during the first 600 miles you should try to vary your speed (meaning engine speed, I think), and not hit the brakes too hard. Check your 2006 one.
  • Options
    habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    Keeping RPM's under 5,000 (6-speed) and varying highway speed (avoid using the cruise control) for the first 1,000 miles is all that I was told.

However, when I recently purchased a Porsche, they strongly advised against driving the car for short hops for the first 1,500-2,000 miles. The rule they gave was: don't turn the engine on, if you are going to turn it off in less than 20 minutes. The reason being is that it takes that long for the 9+ quarts of Mobile 1 to reach full operating temperature. During break in, you want the car to at least achieve that, before turning it off.

When I mentioned this to my Acura service manager, he absolutely agreed. He is a former Mercedes/AMG service technician and that is what they would tell anyone buying those cars - especially the AMG models. He did say, however, that the TL, with only about 5-6 quarts of oil, hits full operating temperature in about 10-15 minutes in 50+ degree weather.

I think I generally followed that procedure subconsciously on my previous cars, but now that I know it - and the mechanics behind it - I'll make it a point in the future.
  • Options
    bhelsdonbhelsdon Member Posts: 134
    I am sorry but you cannot compare a Porsche or an AMG Mercedes to a TL. The break in period for the TL is not that complicated. The only thing you need to do is drive like you have good sense. That means no aggressive accelerating or braking for the first 1000 miles.
    I hate to nit pick, but the TL only holds 4 quarts of oil. :D
  • Options
    bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    I agree about the differentiation between a TL, and one of the high-end exotics. Cars like the TL are meant to be everyday beaters. Proper theoretical break-in procedures notwithstanding, they can't expect people to avoid short trips if they need to drop kids off at school,to piano lesson, run to the local drug store for diapers, etc.

(But habitat's information is useful reference nonetheless)
  • Options
    In case any of you are keeping tabs on it, Edmunds updated its log on its Long Term TL Test.
  • Options
    golfnut5golfnut5 Member Posts: 202
    Does anybody know why the HP is down on the 2006 TL? I believe the 06 list at 260 hp and my 05 is at 270 hp.
  • Options
    yakuzayakuza Member Posts: 15
    The engine is identical for '04, '05, and '06 models. It's just that the METHOD for measuring horsepower has changed to a new standard this year so the true horsepower under the new standard is 258 hp.
  • Options
    johnnycarolinajohnnycarolina Member Posts: 2
    Doug, I've called the Acura division of Honda corporate and their answer to your question is "no." I am interested in purchasing a TL but it looks like I'll be waiting until at least December!
  • Options
    achenatorachenator Member Posts: 128
    Lemme get this straight, they are telling you that the ipod adapter will NOT work on the 06 TL? What have I been waiting for then? What is it for then? :mad:
  • Options
    podrespodres Member Posts: 58
    Did Acura corporate say that the iPod adapter will work on TLs that are shipped in December? That's not far away, and I view the iPod development as a major improvement in the electronics of the car (even though I don't yet own an iPod!) I will gladly wait 6 - 12 weeks if necessary to grab that feature, but it is not clear when the iPod rollout will reach the TL. My dealer told me it will be available only on the TSX, but that sounds too weird to be true. Especially when the September press release said (IIRC) that in December the iPod feature would be built into the majority of Acuras.

Any further insight would be greatly appreciated.
  • Options
    I've been shopping at Honda. They now tell me that the iPod gizmo will soon be available on the Civic ONLY. This would correspond to the concept that the iPod thing-a-ma-jig will be available only on the TSX, not the TL.

What the ????????
  • Options
    bmwdougbmwdoug Member Posts: 248
    According to an Acura Press Release dated 9/7/05. ALL 06 TL's, TSX's, MDX's, and RL's will be able to be fitted with the Ipod Adapter, which will allow voice command control of an Ipod. It is my understanding that all 06 have the wiring for the adapter, the dealer will install the adapter when it becomes available. It will fit in the glove compartment.

This is a feature I want as well, and I want to KNOW FOR SURE that this information is correct. I am ready to buy a 06 TL, but I want it to be able to handle the Ipod adapter. I would think Acura could get sued if all the 06's listed in their press release as having the adapter don't work with it. Here is the Acura Press Release:

ACURA
    SAN FRANCISCO, Sept. 7 /PRNewswire/ -- Acura today unveiled the Acura
    Music Link iPod(R) adaptor, which allows seamless integration between iPod and
    Acura audio systems. The new accessory developed by Acura enables drivers to
    listen to their iPod in digital sound directly through the audio system in the
    2006 Acura RL, TL and TSX sedans and MDX SUV. Acura Music Link allows drivers
    to select their music by artist, album, genre and play list through the
    standard controls on the audio system head unit. Additionally, the Acura
    Music Link adaptor will be the first to include text-to-speech capabilities or
    VoiceID, when searching through the iPod music library with the audio system
    controls.

"We are very excited to partner with Apple and offer the Music Link
    accessory to our Acura customers," said Stony Furutani, manager of Acura
    accessory marketing. "Acura vehicles are equipped with the latest audio
    technology and we are pleased to expand the audio experience to iPod users."
    "We're thrilled to team up with Acura, to provide drivers with a seamless
    iPod experience," said Greg Joswiak, Apple's vice president of iPod product
    marketing. "Car companies are embracing the iPod, and over 30% of the cars
    sold in the US in 2006 will offer iPod integration."

The Acura Music Link adaptor provides outstanding sound quality while
    charging the iPod battery at the same time by a cable conveniently located in
    the glove compartment. The adaptor will be available starting in mid-December
    exclusively for purchase and installation at Acura dealers. Suggested retail
    pricing for the Acura Music Link will be approximately $250 plus dealer
    installation charge. Acura Music Link is backed by a full Acura factory
    warranty. Consumers should check with Acura dealers for specific
    restrictions.
  • Options
    Yes, I saw the press release. Honda and Apple issued similar press releases on the same day. Now I have a Honda dealer telling me it will not be available on the 06 Accord, only the 06 Civic; and an Acura dealer telling me it will not be available on the 06 TL, only the 06 TSX.

How can you get to the bottom of this? Frankly, I'm considering waiting until 07 if I have to. This iPod gizmo makes the CD changer almost extraneous. Who needs 6 CDs when you can control your iPod with your steering wheel buttons and see the readout on your Nav display?
  • Options
    Podres, I agree with you. I want one of these units in my new TL. I am ready to buy now, but I will not buy unless I know I can have the Ipod Adapter, which will work with the navigation system, and use voice command. Does anyone know how we can find out if this feature is going to be fitted onto all 06 TL's, including the 06 TL's on lots now?

Maybe someone from Edmunds or Acura will read this and find out the real story.
  • Options
    markximarkxi Member Posts: 6
    I am a new 'O6 TL owner. The press release regarding the iPod link helped make my decision. The dealers I have talked to know nothing about the link. Most of them hadn't even seen the press release and I had to e-mail it to them. However, I spoke with Honda Motor Company - Acura Customer Service this afternoon and they informed me that while they have very little information, they have been told the link will work on all '06 versions of the specified models (not just those made after December and not just the TSX). The representative I spoke with said they had not been told anything about a retro-fit for older models and, as of now, it is just scheduled to work on with the '06 versions. I hope this helps.
  • Options
    yakuzayakuza Member Posts: 15
    I have an '05 TL with navigation. Does anyone know if the iPod adapter will work with an '05 or is it only for '06 models?
  • Options
    wildestkabswildestkabs Member Posts: 13
    I am slightly confused with the exterior/interior color combination. My personal favorite is the white diamond pearl, but it does not seem to go down well with the aggressive character and styling of the TL. Seems too sedate.

The other color is black. But the current car that I have is also black.

Just wanted some unbiased opinions from people here on what they think is the best exterior/interior combination.

1) White/tan.
    2) Black/tan.

Any other combination? :confuse:
  • Options
    liferulesliferules Member Posts: 531
    I personally like the darker colors, but I've seen white TL's and they really looked nice as well. I think you won't go wrong either way. Darker colors are definitely more common, but likely easier to resell if you are planning on selling privately in a short while, otherwise doesn't really matter much...
  • Options
    liferules,

Thank you for your reply. The main reason for the confusion is the aggressive look. Don't you think that a black TL would look more aggressive than a white TL?

Also, I have not seen too many TL's on the road. Have you? If yes, then which other colors do you think look good in the real life situation?
  • Options
    Mark, thanks for the post. There are a couple things that worry me. You stated the following:
    "The dealers I have talked to know nothing about the link. Most of them hadn't even seen the press release and I had to e-mail it to them. However, I spoke with Honda Motor Company - Acura Customer Service this afternoon and they informed me that while they have very little information, they have been told the link will work on all '06 versions of the specified models (not just those made after December and not just the TSX). "

It worries me that most Dealers do not know anything about the Acura/Apple Ipod Adapter. Also, it worries me that Honda/Acura cannot give a definitive answer to a very simple question. Will it work or not? What is well we have been told? It sounds like nobody knows for sure. I will not buy a 06 until I know for sure, or until a Dealer puts in writing that the car can be fitted with the Acura/Apple Ipod adapter.

It is frustrating! Why can't Acura give us a definite answer!
  • Options
    We have a 2004 TL in anthracite/black purchased in May 2004. It now has 20,000 miles. Friends of ours have a 2004 TL in black/camel purchased in late 2003, now with 12,000 miles.

Our car looks like new, inside and out. Theirs does not. Even when freshly washed, their black shows swirl marks and imperfections that are either not present, or nearly invisible, in our anthracite. On the inside, the camel shows scuffs, stains and wear more than our black, but our kids are better behaved than theirs.

Frankly, I am not that impressed with Acura's paint/finish quality. Far, far superior to the average US brand. Probably on par with the average Japanese model made in the US. But not as good as my 1995 Japanese-built Maxima and nowhere near the perfection of my former Honda S2000. In the S2000, I could not find the slightest imperfection under direct sunlight or a brilliantly lit indoor garage. When I traded the car in at 2.5 years and 19,000 miles, it didn't have a single chip in the paint. Our TL, veiwed from certain angles shows ever so slight imperfections. We have a few small chips in the hood and front fenders.

I have seen too many black cars go from looking spectacular brand new to much less so in a year or two. I owned one myself (1984 Toyota Supra). Perhaps you should cruise the used cars in your Acura dealers lot and see if you notice the difference I do.
  • Options
    The answer from Honda / Acura was a non-answer. If they said that the link will work on all '06 versions "of the specified models," it begs the quesiton, "What models are specified?" My Honda dealer tells me only the Civic. My Acura dealer tells me only the TSX. The press releases say "most models", but it doesn't say which.

Don't the manufacturers watch this site? Can't they supply an answer?
  • Options
    If you're restricting your options to white and black exteriors, my preference would be the black/camel combo.

While camel will show wear sooner than black (as will tan or any light color), I don't like black interiors b/c they make the interior look smaller and get much hotter when the sun beats down on the car.

Lighter metallics show dirt least, so if keeping the car looking good with minimal effort is your priority, I think you need to look at the silver and beige.
  • Options
    markximarkxi Member Posts: 6
    Just for clarification, the "specified models" language was mine. The representative actually listed off the models identified in the press release (RL, TL, TSX, etc.) However, you are right that her answer was not very informative and simply reiterated the press release. I certainly hope the rep. was right and the link will work in my '06 TL.
  • Options
    j47j47 Member Posts: 4
    Anyone notice annoying rattles under the hood of the TL?
  • Options
    liferulesliferules Member Posts: 531
    Here in Dallas, I've seen lots of TL's...funny how you notice them when you are looking...

The colors that look best IMO are the darker ones. I like Anthracite (my color), black, and abyss blue. I've seen white and it looks good as well, but it (as all white cars), shows dirt and requires more frequent maintenance.
  • Options
    Acura seems to have updated its website tonight.

Check it out.
  • Options
    Thanks for the news. Funny, I checked the site yesterday afternoon for information about the iPod, but there was nothing. Now the new site touts the iPod integration under the TL / Technology & Innovation / Audio System link.

This gives me greater confidence that the 06 TL will offer the iPod integration. I am still in doubt as to whether it works with the 06s now on the lot.

It sure would help if Acura informed its dealers better.
  • Options
    highenderhighender Member Posts: 1,358
    Hello Habitat:

glad to see you follow your dream... Ny wife said no to the 911....because already got a cayenne. She did like the room for 4 though. She loved her boxster S...but could not fit 2 kids and herself into it.

We still have the TL...and just got new tires too...Pirelli P zero all weather....the sticky yokohamas just did not last long ....We have 27,000 miles on the TL.

still have the cayenne... and got it for exactly the same requirements/reasons that your friend has....

We like it...and the ones coming out nowadays are better...and have the bugs ironed out.

The TL is doing great ....

take care all...
  • Options
    If you bought the car simply because you fell for their advertising, then you're a fool anyway. Don't blame the manufacturers.

I agree with most things that you say....but the above statement I don't agree with.

example:

Hyundai advertised that the 2002 XG300 has 195 horses , but then it was found to be less. They ended up having to pony up some extended warranties or other compensation to all buyers , including us.

I think all people/companies should be truthful in their advertisements...though that may seem too naive or utopian. :cry:
  • Options
    Good to hear from you.

And I agree with your position relative to Acura's overly enthusiastic horsepower ratings and advertising (which they continued with TV ads at the higher ratings even after being required to publish the reduced ratings). What goes around comes around in the world of integrity.
  • Options
    bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    But was Acura being not truthful, or were they simply using a method of measurement that was allowed at the time?
    I think it's good that they've now standardized the methodology, but I think Acura was simply playing within the rules allowed.
  • Options
    roar1roar1 Member Posts: 193
    Has anyone put a Class I, 1-1/4 inch receiver hitch on a 3rd gen. TL ?? I am an AVID cyclist. I have a long-wheelbase ( 65 inch) recumbent bike that I carry on my Maxima using a trailer hitch made by " Hiddenhitch". The hitch that is made by this company is very unobtrusive and tucks up behind the rear bumper fascia and is barely noticeable. Has anyone installed this hitch OR any others.??

ps. the bike is too big to put on the roof and too heavy to use any of the strap on trunk carriers !!
  • Options
    I guess we will just have to agree to disagree that "playing within the rules allowed" is all that we should expect from a "premium" company selling "premium" products.

Mazda was required to restate the horsepower ratings of the RX8 (from 250 to 238) shortly after introduction, and they offered to repurchase sold units or give a $500 rebate at the buyers election. Honda/Acura was forced (and I mean forced) to restate numerous (every?) model, and their response is to continue to run media/TV advertising that claims 270 hp for the TL, apparantly because they weren't forced to pull previous ads. Current TV adds still show 300 hp for the RL and 265 for the MDX, even after they have been revised downward. Acura obviously believes horsepower ratings help sell cars, or they wouldn't feature them prominantly in every ad they run.

Neither BMW nor Porsche are perfect cars by any means. But these two performance oriented marquees have consistently underestimated - and then overdelivered - on the same horsepower / performance scale that Acura now is being forced to comply with.

This isn't a matter of "losing" 12 horsepower (although I still think the performance difference between Acura's restated 258 horsepower V6 and BMW's 255 hp I6 smells like it's still way too high). I didn't buy my TL with the misconception that I was getting a car that was 42% more powerful than my 1995 190 hp Maxima. After a few test drives, I knew better.

But it is a matter of another chink in Honda/Acura's image of corporate integrity. Added to the mishandling and miscommunication, IMO, of the defective automatic transmission that plagued TL's and MDX's. A business associate of mine just received an out of court settlement to the tune of a complete refund of his original price of a 2003 MDX, additional compensation and attorney's fees after his second replacement transmission failed in less than 20,000 miles, leaving his preganant wife stranded in rural Virginia. This, after he got a written statement from his dealer that the design flaw had been corrected in the second replacement (it was found to be an identical transmission).

Acura/Honda in general make excellent products. I will still defend my former S2000 as an engineering work of art. With fit and finish and a paint job that rival Porsche. And I still think highly of the entire TL package - style, amenities, great 6-speed gearbox, etc.

But I do not accept or appreciate Acura's marketing puffery regarding horsepower ratings. And I would implore others not to be so lenient by making excuses for Acura that they "played within the rules". That's not the metric by which corporate integrity should be measured, IMO. Especially a "premium" company.
  • Options
    Wow, the website does say the 06 TL is setup for the Acura/Apple Ipod adapter. That is great news. Podres, if the ACURA website list it as being on 06 models, it would have to be on all the 06's, including the ones on the lots now. Otherwise, they would have put a disclaimer stating it is only available on models after such and such production date. Because, if they list the Ipod integration as fact on 06 TL's, and it turns out that your 06 TL does not work, Acura will have to Pony up another TL for you.
  • Options
    So I called my dealer back and told him about the website and its description of the iPod integration. He said he would do some more research and get back to me. My confidence level in this guy is 2 on a scale of 10. But maybe he will come up with something in writing that confirms what the website is saying. That would make me feel better.

I'd rather not try to go through a car swap over this issue. I will wait them out.

Is anybody at Acura listening??? Hello!!!
  • Options
    Well, the dealer now says that the iPod gizmo will work on the 06 TLs now in the lot, and he has no idea as to whether it will work on the '05. The gizmo might not be available until January. He was quite candid about being totally in the dark about this. He says that his service department has received no information about the gizmo. My confidence level in his information remains at 2 out of 10, and it matches the confidence he displays in the information he is giving me.
  • Options
    Podres, since it is listed on the Acura Web site, I bet the corporate officials would have a definitive answer. I might try to call the Corporate Office of Acura. Also, I can't imagine that it would not work on the 06 TL's that are on lots now, since there is no disclaimer on the website. I want at new 06 TL and I want the Acura/Apple Ipod adapter. I love cool gadgets. :)
  • Options
    My dealer sent me some junk in the mail today. Included in it was an odd USA Today supplement aimed at Acura dealers. It must have been distributed at a convention or trade show. In any event, it is dated November 3, 2005 and says: "Starting in early December, the Acura Music Link will be available for all Acura RL, TL, TSX and MDX models."

There it is, in writing. The clear implication is that the gizmo comes out in December, but that it will work on all 2006 TLs. I may just wait for the gizmo, just to be sure. But I am now reasonable confident that it will work on the 2006 models now on the lot.
  • Options
    Regarding your post 8069 about Acura posting over high horsepower figures...

I agree with most everything in the whole post. I just think that the higher HP figures not only help sell cars...but also help owners (me and all of us ?) on the bragging rights front. ;)

It would be better to underestimate and have more to play with, rather than over estimate and be forced to eat your horse words.

I only thought Hyundai and Mazda did this...but sincerely did not expect Honda to lower itself to this level.

I am happy with my TL.... even if has lower horsepower than stated...but the bragging rights will sound stronger if we can say " my car has a published hp of only 250 hp..but in all reality, most people dyno them to 275 hp...isn't that cool ? " :)
  • Options
    I am not sure if Acura is not being truthful, or just used the most generous hp figure.??

It is quite OK to play within the rules, but the simple image of it is that they should have had room to spare....meaning make all engines 275 hp or something...and only claim 270 hp....
  • Options
    onslowonslow Member Posts: 4
    I just talked to a dealership by Washington DC about the IPOD adaptor and the dealer told me that the new TSXs would all definetely have it, and that if I wanted to get a TL with the IPOD adapter, I would have to wait until April. When I told him I had heard that the adaptor was supposed to come out in December for TLs, he laughed and told me that it was a fairy tale. He also told me that the IPOD adapter was an optional feature and would cost somewhere around 1200 dollars extra. Does that number seem too high to anybody else?
  • Options
    The iPod adapter is an optional dealer-installed add-on. According to the September press release: "suggested retail pricing for the Acura Music Link will be approximately $250 plus dealer installation charge." The press release also says: "The adaptor will be available starting in mid-December exclusively for purchase and installation at Acura dealers."

There is an iPod adapter shown on the Mercedes-Benz website. It takes up 1/2 of the glove compartment. Given the small size of the iPod itself, this is pretty ironic. I don't expect the Acura gizmo to be any smaller. It's probably the same device. In a couple of years the whole thing will probably be firmware/software built into the head unit.

The inconsistent stories that we are getting/ seeing / reading do not make Acura look good. Why can't Acura simply tell everyone -- dealers, public -- what the deal is? If they don't know, then they should say that, rather than advertise the thing on the website the way they do.

IF what my dealer told me is true, the press release is probably correct, after adjusting for some delay - figure January availability.
  • Options
    I agree with Podres. The adapter will be a $250 addition, installed by the Dealer. It will also be available on ALL 06 TL's, just as it is listed on the Acura Website. Acura is not going to list the Ipod Adapter as being a main FEATURE on 06 TLs on its webiste, it that was not the case. They would be in very perilous waters if they were using false advertising to consumers. It would be an easy case to prove, since it is on their own website.

As we have seen, the posters on Edmunds are more informed than most dealers. I don't believe most dealers have a clue about their own car line. I large percentage of the dealer owners appear to be computer illiterate. I bet they never check the Acura Website. Just look at how many different responses have been given by Acura Dealers to the members of this forum. It is kind of scary. Again, go with the Acura Website, that is information that is straight from the horses mouth. I am basing my decision on the Acura Website; afterall, it is the official voice of Acura.