Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Older Acura TLs

Comments

• laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,726
    Very good. She actually drives her Lunch EXpress Uber Sedan!

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• 07types07types Member Posts: 7
    Has anyone thought about painting their 07 TLS wheels silver or having them chromed? The dark (gun metal) looks ok on some cars, but way too dark for others, like mine (silver). Thanks!
  • autoboy16autoboy16 Member Posts: 992
    Build one on Acura's website. Acura Offers other wheel choices. Personally, I like the TL(Bases) rims better than the Type S. I like the 04-05 TSX's rims better than the current ones...

I have a weird taste in rims. I miss acuras old rims on the Tl. I found it fun reading the brakes saying "ACUR" or "CURA" :blush: But the new base TL's rims are starting to grow on me...

-Cj
    Thats cool! I'm trying to get my step-mom to switch from her bad taste/choice explorer XLS to a newer Acura, Making Dinner eXcellent.

Was that good? It is a true story however...

-Cj
  • ggesqggesq Member Posts: 701
    For those w/ 05 TL's check out:

http://www.azcentral.com/business/consumer/articles/0319HondaRecall19-ON.html

The affected TL vins are:

...5A046061 through ...5A067961
  • hausshauss Member Posts: 169
    Just wanted to put something out there and see what the rest of you think...

On the ELLPS board I've noticed the TL catching a lot of flack from many posters for lacking performance attributes. To me, many of these posters appear to be BMW or G35 backers who infer that the TL's drivetrain (FWD) automatically makes it a granny hauler. The comments I regularly read either imply the TL is just a nice luxury sedan with some sport or they just come right out and rip it for being as athletic as the last kid picked to play kickball in gym class. Often they'll say it's only redeeming qualities are a nice interior and good value.

I've read many reviews in magazines (a lot of them) that have shown the TL (until the recent revealing of the G35 2nd gen and BMW 335i) to be one of (if not) the quickest car in the class. Those same reviews also stated very good lateral grip, braking, and slalom/figure 8 metrics for the TL. Then the reviewers talk subjectively about driving dynamics and state the TL is severely lagging. How can it handle well (they say) if it's got FWD?

I've yet to see any track times or fastest posted laps out of any car in a magazine review so I don't know if there's any merit to those writer's claims. Granted the car is limited by it's design somewhat but I don't think it's drastically behind the competition in this regard. In fact I'd argue that a FWD TL can outhandle a good many RWD cars. Just being RWD doesn't make a car handle great.

So, how can it be that the car gets very respectable if not great metrics in performance tests in reviews yet it is considered a cush mobile? I've driven a good many of the ELLPS. I think the TL handles just as well as most. And for those that talk of feel I know what you speak of.

I don't find the TL's steering to be completely uncommunicative and isolated from the road. Maybe it takes a little more effort to reach the heights of some of the cars in this class but that does not mean the car is completely incapable of reaching them.

Does anyone else see where I'm coming from?
  • ficussficuss Member Posts: 541
    hold on there hauss, I just traded in a perfectly good Infiniti 03 G35 for a 07 TL. The G35 is a faster, better handling and better stopping car. That doesn't make the TL a lesser car. It is a different car. For every positive attribute the g35 has, there is a "but". Yes the rear wheel drive handles better in the curves but it somewhat sucks in the snow. It has more power but 12 mpg in the city gets old very fast. Even xpressway driving gets you only about 17 mpg.
    The g35 has better brakes than 99% of all cars, only Ferrari stops faster, but brake pads wore out in 10k miles and left a nasty dust build up on the wheels. That also means that 99% of cars behind you are more likely to rearend you in an quick stopping situation.
    The g35 is more of a performance car, the TL is more refined. The're both good cars.
  • ggesqggesq Member Posts: 701
    hauss,

When I first joined Edmunds', I got into many debates over the athletic ability of the TL vs the competition. One universal truth I found is that all of the cars in the ELLPS are sporty and performance oriented. Some have their advantages and some have disadvantages. Another thing I notice in online forums is that proponents of one vehicle over another will focus on one or two attributes and discount everything else e.g. weight, luxury, technology, hp, torque, drivetrain, the list goes on.
    I don't put much weight in posters that call any of the vehicles in ELLPS a granny hauler much less a TL. Posters lose credibility when they make those blanket type of comments and such comments are meant to inflame others.
    BMW/G fans will always talk about one thing- performance, which is cool. MB/Lexus owners will talk about luxury. Everyone is biased because they spent their money on their car and have to defend that decision by derailing the competition.
    Be happy w/ the TL. It's a sporty 4 door sedan that offers enough performa along with a whole lot of other attributes to boot.
    BTW, in the most recent comparo by R & T, the TL-S beat out the G35S. :surprise:
    The next generation TL will rock this segment.
    ggesq, I enjoy my TL immensely and I don't question for a minute my getting it. :) I've read several of your posts and you seem like myself a true fan of cars in this class. They all have their faults but none of them are poor vehicles. Thanks for chiming in on this with your perspective. I appreciate it. And I did see that R&T comparo and noticed the TL-S beat out the new G. I also believe the next generation TL will, like it's predessor, shake up the segment. I'm looking forward to it.
    ficuss, first let me say congratulations on your new purchase. I hope it provides for you everything you hoped and more.

As for my post I think you may have missed my premise. I do not find the TL to be a lesser car to any ELLPS. I own this vehicle and I find it to be an excellent sedan. My point was that I've seen several posts on the ELLPS forum implying or directly stating the TL is the least athletic car of the segment. Some have said it has no performance attributes whatsoever. A lot of those say that simply because it has FWD.

My contention however is that when it has been reviewed in the auto mags or gone head to head in comparisons it has achieved excellent (for an ELLPS) performance metrics. It may lose those comparisons based on subjective measures or personal preferences of the testers but I don't think I've ever seen it finish in the bottom of the pack in braking, handling, and acceleration measures in any comparison save for that recent one done by Road & Track ggesq mentioned above.

So, the car doesn't handle like an appliance. I've seen in several publications lateral grip measures between .87-.91g and slalom speeds from 65-67.5 mph. Metrics that are very comparable to the 1st generation G35 and E46/E90 BMW 3. One would think a car that could achieve those metrics would be a capable handling car, right? That's not to say it's the best handling car in the class. I'm just saying it's very capable even with it's FWD design and it should not be considered unathletic because of it.
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    "My point was that I've seen several posts on the ELLPS forum implying or directly stating the TL is the least athletic car of the segment. Some have said it has no performance attributes whatsoever. A lot of those say that simply because it has FWD."

I'm not the one that ever said the TL has "no performance attributes whatsoever", but I would have to plead guilty of claiming that the FWD setup has become a limiting factor to the TL's "athleticism" compared to the 3 series and G35. I would not say the TL gives up much if anything to the IS350 - which, in spite of a RWD platform and powerful engine, only comes with a slushbox transmission and has steering feel and driving dynamics which are average, at best.

I think you may be putting too much reliance upon the "metrics" of 0-60 acceleration, lateral g's, etc. While these may seem like objective measures that allow you to completely understand the driving dynamics and performance of a car from the comfort of your living room sofa, that's simply not the case.

Given enough tries, I could probably replicate Road and Track's impressive 0-60 and skidpad road test measurements with my 2004 TL 6-speed. But where is the measurement for front wheel hop when you give it too much gas and let the clutch out too quickly? (That doesn't exist with a 3-series, period.) Or the measurement of torque steer if you try to accelerate a little too vigorously while making a turn? Or even in a straight line without a good grip on the steering wheel? Or the slight plowing feeling when you take that turn at speed while braking? Or, even for those that don't care about spirited driving, what is the measurement for additional steering adjustments needed to track straight on a slightly rough highway with a FWD car?

I still believe that the TL 6-speed, in spite of front wheel drive, is an admirable performer. But if it were RWD, it could be significantly better - and "easier" to drive enthusiastically. I could crank out a 0-60 run of 4.3 seconds in my 911 with no hands on the steering wheel and it would track straight as an arrow. Try goosing a TL 6-speed in 1st gear without both hands on the wheel and you will be fortunate to not end up in a ditch.

I have no regrets for buying a FWD TL 6-speed in 2004. At that time, it offered the best balance of attributes for what I was looking for. But the competition has improved and, at least on the performance front, the limitations of FWD are clearly more of a factor in 2007. I don't think that makes the TL a granny-mobile by any means. But if you don't think that FWD limits the TLs "athleticism", I think you are taking the magazine stats too seriously and need to do some serious test drives of your own.

And, when it's all said and done, "athleticism" itself is a subjective measurement - so we can agree to disagree and still respect each other. :)
    Thats one thing I like about Acura. They let the he TL owners participate is Sport or Luxury discussion. In fact, ELLPS stands for Entry Level Luxury Sport Performance Sedans.

In 2004, Edmunds said the TL is a great performer. It goes through the cones just as quickly as the BMW3 but just not as confedintly. Acura is not known as a Performance company and I don't think they want to be. They're doing a great job but I do think its time they got a V8/w8 engine out to boost sales. Acura just needs more of the FUN to drive quotient. Otherwise, Their fine.

The RL is a great car. It just needs more space and power. The 3.5RL would have been a great car if it had more SPORT but it was plenty luxurious.

The TL is the successor to the vigor but now it looks more like the Legend successor. The RL is more of a Vigor than Legend. I guess the 2 were switched at birth :confuse: ?

-Cj
    hab, I've done the serious test drives and I'm well aware of the differences between FWD and RWD. I think you may have missed my point a bit. While FWD drivetrain is not ideal for performance that is a poor reason for any poster here to dismiss the TL has having any sport factor. Now, I can understand someone saying that they don't like the feel of FWD and will never consider a car that has it. That's their choice and I'm all for everyone getting exactly what they want.

As for the metrics they merely prove my point that the car is capable of handling quickly when driven hard. While it may not be as easy to drive enthusiastically as some other cars in this segment that does not mean it's not capable of handling well. Here's a quote from Edmunds full test of the TL in 2004, " Technically, it may not be as "fun" as a BMW 3 Series, but it obviously goes through the slalom just as rapidly." That sort of backs my point too, right?

I just purchased a GS350RWD for my finance. It hasn't come in yet but we've taken several test drives of the vehicle and I've done a couple of them without the salesperson in the car. I've driven it pretty darn hard. I also drove everything else in the class (M35, A6, RL, S80 but not the 5 cuz she hates it's looks)and most of them pretty darn hard too. The GS did not handle as well as my TL when driven hard. Of all those cars IMO only the M35 handled comparable to it. Just being RWD doesn't automatically make a car a good handling car.

As for losing ground, in this class only the G35 and BMW 3 have improved. Everyone else has remained the same for the last two years. In two more MY after the TL has changed those two cars will be a little dated. That cycle is always going to be there in any car segment.
  • bryncerddbryncerdd Member Posts: 29
    I have read with interest the comments of those comparing the newer model TL to its brethren--BMW, G35, et. al. From my own experience, the proof is in the driving. I own a 2006 TL and a BMW e series (E46). I drive both cars over the same roads and streets. One road in particular tests any car's suspension because the repaving and "improvements" to the road in recent years have created some very quirky twists and turns in the pavement.

The BMW goes all over the place on this section of the road. The TL takes it in stride; without knowing the surface conditions, one would not even know there was a physical problem with the outline of the road surface. I am genuinely surprised at this difference; without this experience, I would have argued vigorously for the superior handling of the Bimmer, but not so!! On this particular stretch of "testy" pavement, the TL is markedly superior. Go figure.

Bryncerdd
    "Just being RWD doesn't automatically make a car a good handling car. "

:surprise: I Agree!! The only benefit for a RWD TL is taking pressure off the front wheels. That makes for better handling but the difference in cost wouldn't be worth it IMO.

-Cj
    Does anyone have any good/poor driving experiences with the 2004+ Acura Tl? I hear so much about the inside of the TL at night but haven't gotten to see any pictures. If some kind owner has some time to spare, could they snap a few shots for me?

Thanks in Advance,
    -Cj :)
  • albert5albert5 Member Posts: 42
    Driving is really fun on the Acura TL except the gas mileage.
    For the interior its really nice, at night the LED blue lights are cool that is located right above and it is pointing down to the shifting gear. And also on both driver and passenger foot rest.
    I thought the (base) Tl got good MPG. Its there with the the less powerful accord but sadly requires Premium Fuel.

Does the TL use 91 or 93 octane and which is "Premium"?

The Interior of the Tl seems great but I am clueless as to what acura could do to make it better. Maybe the RL's Power rear sunshade and some Manual ones. Heated/Cooled front seats, Heated Rear seats and a Panoramic sunroof for everyone to see out of (Think the Vista Roof not the Maximas Sky View).

-Cj :confuse:
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    Thanks for the tip.
  • z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    Owners manual calls for 91 or higher.

I see both sides of the premium gas issue.

One one hand it seems like a waste - but since I only drive 10,000 miles a year and am getting over 20 MPG its about $100 a year. Not enough to worry about.

Anyone who buys a $30K+ car (that requires prem gas) and then uses regular gas to save a few pennies is a fool - if its that important - why not just buy something else?
    Because that something else most likely uses premium too. Its sad when a COROLLA REQUIRES premium gas. I guess thats why the XRS was dropped.

-Cj
  • z71billz71bill Member Posts: 1,986
    I have read the Corolla needs premium before - but have not read the owners manual -

Does the Corolla owners manual say to burn premium?
    corolla only needs premium if it is the 186hp Corolla XRS w/ 6speed manual.

Speaking of premium, does the TL use 91 octane or 93 and which is premium?!

-Cj
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    According to the manual, the TL requires a minimum of 91, but that's not always available so you end up with 93 if you are sticking to the manufacturer's recommendation. They both are considered premium. I think the availability of 91 octane has to do with where you are in the country. It's not available on the east coast to my knowledge.
  • buyer777buyer777 Member Posts: 70
    i think Sunoco has a 91 grade option in NJ
    92 is quite readily available around here, but I'm not sure I've seen 93.
    I live in south miami and i see a mix of both. Some stations eg Texaco, Racetrack, shell have 93. Others have 91. Even still, thats not consistent as other Texaco's may not have 93 and have 91. A BP has it and a BP 2 blocks over doesn't.

With 91,92,93& 87, is there even a purpose for midgrade? Its in the middle pricewise but what NEWish car recommends it?

Which brings my last question; Whats the point of buying midgrade or plus? They all come off the shame ship and into the same well. Sometimes, they come out of the same pump and even same nozzle. Yeah i get the whole burning thing but how do we know we aren't getting a tank with like 70% gas and 30%air. My accord has a 17gallon tank and when on E with the light on, it only takes 13gallons topped off? And when topped off, you get more gas if you squeeze the nozzle again and again...

Someway, somehow, I think gas pumps are like carnival rides... THEY'RE RIGGED!! :mad:

-Cj
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    I don't know where I got that about the east coast, then. I'll stick to what I know in the future! ;)

I only ever see 87, 89 and 93 in southeastern Virginia.
  • ficussficuss Member Posts: 541
    Simple, if you can't hear or feel the difference and you don't mind slightly less performance due to automatic de-tuning, then buy the cheapest, lowest octane gas you can find. If you treasure your lawn mower as much as your car, it won't matter. If your engine has so little compression left that you can start it with a flashlight battery, it won't matter.
    Otherwise, I would recommend following the manufacturers recommendation.
    You're right about one thing, all petroleum based fuel that we know of does come out of the same earth, so what's the difference.
  • maz2maz2 Member Posts: 2
    Can anyone tell me where to find the the IAT sensor, trying to install a performance chip. The chip must be placed between the sensor and the computer, and if anyone knows the color of the hot wire and the computer wire. A photo would be a great help on the location of the sensor.
  • armanipatrickarmanipatrick Member Posts: 37
    Just bought a TL 07 w/Navi this weekend. I haven't purchased a new car in a decade. I didn't go for the lojack option at the dealership. Is the club still considered a good theft deterrent?
    Thanks.
    Are car alarms? I think the lojac is the best option. The locate your stolen car!

-Cj
    If my car gets stolen, I don't want it found! ;)
    :P LOL!

I'm surprised that I've never heard anything about stolen acuras! The integra yes but not the rest of the lineup. Its soo odd. Why would anyone steal a "dressed up accord" that can be found on every block?

-Advantage Acura
    -Cj
  • taxesquiretaxesquire Member Posts: 681
    To chop it up and sell the pieces as individual parts to disreputable repair-shops who can make extra money by buying the parts cheaply, but charge the customer for "genuaine acura" parts. :cry:

The more popular a car is (and the longer that model-run has continued), the greater the need for spare parts and the more likely that car is to be stolen.
    I second that!
  • tripowertripower Member Posts: 1
    My 2003 Acura type S TL will not blow hot or cold air! I've checked and tested all fuses and they are good. Anyone with a similar problem?
  • psobkiewiczpsobkiewicz Member Posts: 20
    Does anyone know if Acura actually changed colors from 05 to 07? I have a Redondo Red Pearl R-522P 05 TL and I want to buy painted mud flaps that are for the 07. Supposedly they fit the 05, but are painted in 07 color codes. The 07 red TL is called Moroccan Red Pearl - R-528P. Does anyone know if those 2 reds are the same? Thanks.
  • jkm900jkm900 Member Posts: 18
    Yes the colors did change. The new red is a little darker than the redondo I believe. However you should be able to order 05 mud flaps.
    They started making the color matched mud flaps in 07. 05 only had the black ones. So I'd have to get the 07's in the slightly different red.
    Wouldn't you be better off just with black ones then?
    They don't look good with the red.
    But black goes with everything, whereas a slightly different shade of red may look like a suit with a mis-matched pair of pants.
  • billyperks1billyperks1 Member Posts: 151
    yes they do.
    I have a white accord with black mud flaps and molding around the entire underbody of the car. Red with black should loot a whole lot better.

You're lucky you have a red TL! My favorite (discontinued) color combination (Deep Green, with parchment with wood) is even rarer and because it stopped in 06 its harder to find... Guess i'll have to do what I hate and settle...

By any chance, has anyone seen the 2007 TL w/o nav! They got rid of that hideous black strip in the middle(somewhat) and changed the display! It actually makes me want to settle for no nav now!

As they saw in show biz "Close, but no cigar..."
    Still gotta get an 04-05 with nav and all that color combo i mentioned! Maybe a lip spoiler...

It would look something like this:

but 5AT :blush:
    -Cj
  • scottm123scottm123 Member Posts: 1,501
    I wonder if Acura cuts down plastic trees for thier interior trim from a forest near the lake that McDonald's fishes their square fish from for the "Filet-O-Fish". :P
  • habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    "Maybe a lip spoiler...but 5AT"

Great, another image over substance choice. As in, "I want to look sporty while I drive my slushbox"? :sick:

And I have to agree with scottm123, that interior looks entirely too plasticky/fake for me...except for the 6-speed manual.
    "I want to look sporty while I drive my slushbox"?

You know what, you'd be surprised at the high % of drivers that fall into this category, even amongst the BMW, Porsche, Corvette crowd. MB, of course, goes without saying. There are really only a few hard-core performance drivers...and I suspect a few of those just like to think of themselves as performance drivers, which makes them even more so in the image over substance department, since they want to look and think sporty. :sick:

"that interior looks entirely too plasticky/fake for me"

I think it's par for the course. You certainly won't do better at that price. You want something better? No problem. You'd just have to pay the premium. If you think it's too plasticky, then why buy one? :confuse: Certainly the 6-sp doesn't make it look any less so.
    I honestly don't care about the TL's sportiness because it just IS sporty. Also, the lip spoiler looks better on the TL to me. It add a certain look that i like. Besides, with wood, nav, and deep-green, I'm going for the Tl's luxury more than sport. Otherwise, I'd get the TSX which I may also do.

A 5AT because I can't drive MTs yet. If I did it be entirely different! Everyone knows about honda/acura's 6AT being about the best in the class!

-Cj
  • scottm123scottm123 Member Posts: 1,501
    I'll admit that the spoiler adds a sporty look to most cars, but I still have to laugh at these people who put big spoilers on their FWD cars, causing downward pressure on the non-drive wheels.

Take the new G for example.
    It comes standard with zero front lift aerodynamics, and zero front and rear lift with the optional spoiler.
    At least the spoiler is functional in that application.

Non-functional spoilers may increase the sporty look, but could actually be decreasing the car's sporty handling characteristics at the same time.

Does anyone have specs on what these 2 Acura Spoiler options do to the TL's aerodynamics?