Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Older Acura TLs

Comments

• bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    I'm with you on this one. My TL is an automatic and I have the lip spoiler, which I find to be subtle but adds a touch of sportiness, just like the one on BMWs. I know how to drive stick, but at this stage in my life, under the traffic conditions that I drive in 90% of the time, I'll go with an automatic, thank you very much! I really couldn't care less if someone thinks I just want to look sporty. If I really really wanted to feed my appetite for driving a stick, I'll buy a small sports car (in addition to the TL) for that purpose.
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,684
    Ditto. Sans spoiler, though...

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    "There are really only a few hard-core performance drivers..."

Agreed, but you don't have to be Michael Schumacher and/or drive like him just to enjoy a "sporty" drive. In my opinion, the TL 6-speed is a very "sporty" FWD sedan. Great gearbox, tighter suspension, better (Brembo) brakes. The automatic transmission, in my opinion, has always been one of Acura's weak links. My wife would prefer to have a TL-like 6-speed manual in our MDX and, believe me, she's no hard core performance driver. She just dislikes the hesitation from a dead stop and mushy shifting feel of the automatic.

"If you think it's too plasticky, then why buy one?"

I wouldn't. I bought a 6-speed with the Black/aluminum interior. To me, it looks it looks "sporty" and reasonably attractive, without trying too hard to be something it isn't with Acura's rendition of fake wood. But I concede that looks are subjective.

I am not picking on the TL, I just think the automatic transmission and fake wood are it's weakest attributes. I was picking on the lip spoiler, but in good humor. ;)
    "A 5AT because I can't drive MTs yet. If I did it be entirely different! Everyone knows about honda/acura's 6AT being about the best in the class!"

Say what? I know you are young, but you haven't grown a right arm or left leg yet??

There isn't much to learning, and there is no better time to do so than BEFORE you buy a car with an automatic when you might really rather have the manual. I learned on my first new car, a 1978 Datsun B210GX. Friends said they could smell me coming a mile away, suggesting my clutch was in for a short life. The car died at 99,200 miles, but it still had the original clutch.

For those that prefer to drive an automatic, fine. But the manual transmission in the TL is indeed one of the best in its class and it will greatly reward you for learning how to drive a stick. I never would have bought a TL in 2004 were it not for the 6-speed gearbox that felt nearly as crisp as the one in my former Honda S2000. As good as BMW is in driving dynamics, I rated the manual in the 2004 TL ahead of the 6-speed in the 330i ZHP.
    Well, to each his own I suppose, but IMO the "pleasure" of driving a stick is over-rated. I concede the situation was different back in the days when auto boxes were mostly 3sp/4sp jobs, with jerky lock-up torque converters, compared to now when 6-sp manumatic and/or other user-selectible settings are fast becoming the norm. Honda, for one, has come a long way with their automatic transmission over the past 10 - 12 years. As I said earlier, the ideal situation would be to have a "weekend" sports car for the times when you're really in the mood to shift your own gears.
  • scottm123scottm123 Member Posts: 1,501
    I so agree with you on this one.
    Nothing compares to driving my sports car with a stick... but as my commute grew, I just wanted someone to shift for me once in awhile.

I'm loving the auto transmission in my G, since it does a little of both. (without traffic clutch cramp)

Once I convince the wife that I need yet another car just for weekends, I'll get my MT just for those weekend drives.
    Hi, Hab1: I learned to drive in a '71 Saab 99. Four speed, if I remember. Fun, quirky car.

Your B210, was it a "Honey Bee!" My friend and I, as the original 240Z bloated into the not so spectacular 280ZX, derisively called it the B280ZX. No offense to your B210, of course.

I drove sticks (Saab 99, Renault Le Car!, VW Scirocco, Mitsu Mirage Turbo, Acura Integra, Nissan Sentra SE-R, Saab 900) for about 26 years (with 7 years of company cars, all autos mixed in). Now two autos in the garage. To be honest, I really don't miss rowin' my own. Not to say I won't go back to the future...

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

My first "stick" was my parents' '68 Ford Falcon with 3 on a tree. Although I wouldn't go so far as to say I "learned" to drive stick on that one. No, I really didn't honed my stickhandling skills until my own '75 Honda Civic with 4 on the floor. That spunky little hatchback served me right thru university. Never stranded me despite a quirky manual choke and a couple of broken synchros! :shades:
  • liferulesliferules Member Posts: 531
    Habitat,

I was SOOO much better than you... I had a 310 GX (same year)! We 310'ers look down upon you mere 210 people! :)

Yep, I remember scraping gears as I learned on the spot how to drive manual, coming home on the highway after having bought this car. I went through 2 clutches, but had fun. By the end of the car's life, it had merely a starter button as the ignition failed, the radio only worked if you turned the knob half-way, and the windows wouldn't shut unless you pushed them as you rolled them up. :cry: Those were the days...

All my cars since were manual until this last one. I was just fed up with bumper to bumper traffic and having to pump the clutch every few feet. It just got old.

I agree with some of the others that it would be fun to have a weekender sport car with manual to drive around, but for day to day driving, give me auto every day. I have absolutely no regrets in this regard.
    Seems a lot of you prefer the fun and feel of driving a stick, but have switched to automatics as your daily commute or traffic turned into a grind.

I don't expect to convince anybody that's made that choice to change it. But now that I've hit that magic age of half century and have survived nearly 25 years with DC traffic (not to mention ACL surgery), I don't expect to switch to an automatic unless forced to. If our MDX gets stolen, a 6-speed Cayenne will definitely be on our test drive list, even if it does only hold 5 passengers.

Speaking of being "stolen", our TL almost was last week. Parked it in front of our house, fully locked. Woke up at 2:30 a.m. to the sound of a radio blasting. Ran down and came out to find all of the windows rolled down in the TL, the radio playing full blast and a key in the ignition. Turned out that someone, at some point, had stolen our "valet" key and apparantly tried to make off with the car. But, they were apparently foiled by not realizing you have to have the clutch pushed in, even in neutral, when turning the ignition key for the car to engine to start.

We still haven't figured out why the windows were rolled down and the radio was set at full blast. Amazing how many of our neighbors commented that they can't get "Juke Box Hero" out of their head. :blush:
  • british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    See having a manual transmission car is even a theft Deterrent :surprise:
    "We still haven't figured out why the windows were rolled down and the radio was set at full blast.'

If it was a car thief, he would have to be a bit of a moron to try to attract attention while trying to steal a car. :confuse:

Where do you keep your valet key? Inside the car? How did he managed to get in, if your car was locked?

(Do you have a teenaged son who needed a ride for prom? ;) )
    Not sure from where and when the valet key was taken. Never use it myself and can't remember last time I even saw it. It's possible that I left it in the glove compartment with the owners manual and it had been taken weeks or months ago without my knowledge.

As far as the windows being rolled down and radio on full blast, on a well lit street, no less, that's still a mystery. Prank? Perhaps, but we don't have many high school boys living on our immediate neighborhood, let alone my house. Plus, if the cops caught him, they would have charged him with attempted car theft, a felony being prosecuted in adult court. Not much humor in that.

In any event, I've made sure all of the keys to our 911 are accounted for. My 9 year old daughter proclaimed the thief was pretty dumb for trying to take the TL instead of the Porsche. :surprise:
  • british_roverbritish_rover Member Posts: 8,502
    Well it is easier to fence the TL then the 911 but the 911 would be a better joy ride car.
    I'm sure your 911 was garaged, which no doubt was a factor.

Or...perhaps you had pissed off the kid at the Acura dealer who washes your car when you bring it in for service? ;)
  • thechiefthechief Member Posts: 2
    Hi Habitat1 - as a proud owner of a Legend GS 6 speed for the past 9 years, I'd love to hear your comparison to your TL. I've driven the TL and to me it is a downgrade to the Legend in terms of quality and style. Of course, in objective measures, the TL is a better car, but subjectively I'll take the Legend. What made you sell your Legend?

Dave
  • voxboyvoxboy Member Posts: 30
    I wish my TL handled more like my wife's TSX. Anyone have any advice what I can change or add to make it feel more nimble?
  • ggesqggesq Member Posts: 701
    Try a Progress Rear Sway Bar.
    Ah, the Legend GS 6-speed.

I bought a nearly new 1994 Legend GS 6-speed at a great price from a friend who was being transferred to Europe by his company. But then, after only 2 months in Europe, he got recalled to an even better promotion in the states. We were able to unravel the deal without paying sales taxes, so I gave the car back to him, and bought my 1995 Maxima SE 5-speed that I still have to this day at our second home.

It's been a long time since I drove that GS 6-speed, so my memory is sketchy at best. As I recall, it was definitely more luxurious than my Maxima, but about the same in quickness and handling. It would be hard to directly compare to my 2004 TL 6-speed, but, IMO, the Legend was a more solidly built car compared to its competition of the day than the TL is.

I lost touch with the friend who had the Legend until about a year ago. He is now president of a real estate company in Texas and has done very well - if a $4 million vacation home in Jackson Hole is any measure. He kept that Legend and handed it down to his son who is now in his second year of college. It had over 150,000 miles as of last year, as does my 1995 Maxima. Acura and Nissan may have a lot more techno do-dads in their cars today, but I doubt they are any better than those vintage models in build quality and durability.

P.S. I joked with my friend that I guess he has progressed past Acura in "status". He replied, "quite the contrary, my next vehicle will be a Honda". Honda
    "...has done very well - if a $4 million vacation home in Jackson Hole is any measure."

Hmm...not necessarily. There's a chap named Conrad Black. Big spender, gorgeous wife, multi-million $ Park Ave apartments.....
    Oh, plenty of guys have done better. A certain first year B-School student that I tutored probability and statistics to when I was a second year student (early 1980's) has managed to get himself on the top half of the Forbes 400 list. After a lengthy stint at Goldman Sachs (aka Golden Slacks) he started a hedge fund and each of the past 3-4 years has placed above George Soros on the list of the 10 highest paid hedge fund managers (good for about $500 million last year alone). And, to the best of my knowledge, he will not be joining the ranks of Conrad Black or the Enron gang types anytime soon.

But I still think paying $4 million cash for a vacation home in Jackson Hole qualifies as "very well". Hell, I'm thrilled to have my daughters' 529 accounts fully funded. ;)

As a matter of fact, anyone who can comfortably pay cash for a new Acura TL is doing pretty well in my book.
  • billyperks1billyperks1 Member Posts: 151
    Hey Hab- do you mind saying which Hedge Fund is this? I am actually a Alternative Investment Accountant but for the past year I decided to try my hands at 1940 act funds, kind of boring but I am headed back to the Hedge Fund and Private Equity world.
    Do people vacation in Jackson Hole? I saw one of their phone books some years back. Provocative cover. :blush:
    I skied Jackson Hole back in college. Still the most snow I've ever seen in my whole life. Skied a lot of vertical that week. In powder! No New England "frozen granular!"

I'm gonna tear up now, Mangy Moose, Million Dollar Cowboy Saloon and a local I met who had no idea that Connecticut was a state, nor where it was located in these United States...! I had to describe it as just north of New York. New York he had heard of, but no to CT. He asked me if I carried a gun when I went into NYC... Nope, only armed with my wits and boyish charm! :blush: I guess I'm lucky to still be alive! ;)

Of course, him being a local I just assumed he wore a six-shooter...

"As a matter of fact, anyone who can comfortably pay cash for a new Acura TL is doing pretty well in my book."

But why pay cash when AHFC was offering 2.9% financing...!

My "fill the TL tank with gas" fund is almost fully funded. I'm not doing that well... :cry:;)

Regards,

Laurasdada, working stiff.

Billy,

Appaloosa (Dave Tepper). But I think it is closed to new investors and as of a couple of years ago, the minimum investment was $10+/- million. A little too rich for inclusion in my portfolio, unfortunately.

Good time to be in the private equity business, no?
  • billyperks1billyperks1 Member Posts: 151
    Never heard of that shop but he must be doing well- a $10 million requirement tells me is shop is one of the heavy hitters.Private Equity is actually keeping the Alternative world alive, that's why I am trying to get back on board.
  • gpulsegpulse Member Posts: 1
    Is the antenna base above the back window for The navigation and XM radio or just navigation? I am wanting to do an experiment to see what it would take to start hindering the reception by covering the base. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Greg
    GPulse@hotmail.com
    Interesting. The only thing one can discern is TL-style headlights, and the trademark Acura grill.
  • autoboy16autoboy16 Member Posts: 992
    Thats the second honda/acura vehicle caught testing at night... The first was the pilot a few days ago.

-cj
  • sonya25sonya25 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone seem to have a problem with the 07 TL not allowing you to actually add 17.1 gallons of gas to your tank? Does anyone know why you are only able to add 13.5 gallons of gas to an empty tank and then are forced to top off the remaining 3.5 gallons in order to actually fill your tank? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
  • aaarghaaargh Member Posts: 230
    What do you mean by 'forced to top off"? Is the fuel pump shutting off at 13.5?

If you are referring to the fuel gauge on your dashboard, it is programmed (on all TLs) to read empty around 13.5 - 14 gallons used. This is so the driver does not ever come close to running empty and thus damaging the fuel injectors.

The computer does the same. It claims the miles to empty to be far less that reality. I have pushed it 75 miles beyond that. Normally I just fill it up just after it 'reads' empty. It's not a big deal to me.
    Agreed. For my '05 TL, I've "run on empty," 0 mile on the computer and the most I've put in the tank is ~15 gallons. Better safe...

Agree on the TL having a very conservative "0 miles left" reading....

... but don't try that on an MDX. I ran our 2005 to 0 miles left and was going to keep going, figuring we could make it the remianing 35 miles home, but saw a gas station with good prices. Filled it up to within 0.1 gallons of the tank capacity. :surprise:

My wife, reading the owners manual for tank capacity while I pumped past 19.5 gallons, just about hung me. And, no, the station pumps weren't off. Went back there a day later with my 911 at the 1/2 tank level and the same pump showed exactly what I expected.
    Bought the Toyo Versado GT AS tires. We'll see, much quieter so far (with very limited road time so far).

Thanks to the stock market, I'm a little further away from the XK/911/Cayman/Boxter/S5/335 'vert/CL550 etc... Not to mention retirement! :sick:

Oh, well. The TL has new shoes and is shiny. Life ain't too bad. :D

• patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Post #9000 - cool! :shades:
    The content or the milestone? Don't answer, I'm sure it's the cool content...

I are literate. :shades:

• patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    We is all leterite, of course! :P
    :surprise: Are the TL's standard tires that bad!?

-Cj
    I've had mine for 3 years. IMO they're liveable. Not the greatest wet traction. You'd have to go easy on the throttle in the rain and avoid heavy snow. And I don't go around cornering at max g-force. I certainly never considered switching out of them just for the sake of getting better tires.
    I'm pretty sure the TL uses Xenon lamps. My question; Are the Tls xenon lamps similar to the TSXs's? The TSX's have a cutoff line at a certain height. I've saw it easily. The Tl, not so much...

-cj
    My biggest complaint with the Bridgestone EL42 was snow performance: POOR!. Not so horrible that, as bodble noted, I was going to swap 'em before their time had come, but bad. Until they were somewhat worn, I hadn't noticed them being too bad in the wet. They weren't terribly quiet, either.

So, at 31,200 miles, two of the tires were pretty much done so I replaced 'em with Toyo Versados. The Toyos seem to be quieter but initially not as crisp around the corners. Note I've only had 'em for a couple of days, ~100 miles so no real conclusions yet. No rain or snow yet. Rain tomorrow. As it's early August, no snow for a few more weeks here in Boston!

1st of all, i think its the Tl.

IMO, it looks exactly the same! The headlights, the shape, the 90ºangle the rear window makes. It says TL.

I want to believe that its a freshening of the current TL because honda is holding off until they finish the specs of the RWD one. That metal bar hanging out at the end on the side, all that stuff under the rear of the car... The lexus GS meets infiniti m35 like shape... IMO RWD.

Heres a link to the pictures. Make sure that you checkout the right side of the page near the ending paragraph (b4 the readers comments) for additional photos.

If it is a freshened Tl, It would be fine as the current one is still selling very well. They probably want to release it when the 08 accord hits the showrooms. Then the TSX'll come out then the TL then a freshened RDX and MDX then the New RL. At least thats how I see it! :)

-Cj :)
  • mf15mf15 Member Posts: 158
    Test drove an auto, extremely nice car. But I did not expect the amount of torque steer, it is as bad as my sons 05 altima stick. The altima was bashed and bashed throughout the life of the last generation for torque steer, wonder why the TL was not, otherwise a super car.
    Most likely get one if I can get a decent price. Old Mike
  • kennyg8kennyg8 Member Posts: 225
    THe TL auto has torque steer? :confuse: I don't know how you drive, but you must not put bowling balls in your shoes. :D
  • myturn4myturn4 Member Posts: 3
    2000 TL I bought used now has 60000 miles on it and is making a scraping sound after starting, whether just sitting in the drive way or driving. It only does it for a few minutes. This has been going on for months and now I heard it also after starting from a stopped position on a hill. Any ideas?
  • jeff442jeff442 Member Posts: 2
    I am looking to pickup a used TL and it I believe that the average price premium that I would pay for a 2006 is $1k. Is it worth it? I will be purchasing the 6MT version. Does the 2006 correct the torque steer problem? Anyone had a chance to compare manual tranny pre and post 2006 versions? Any other differences?
    If i remember correctly, the 6MT TL comes standard with brembo brakes and LSD(limited slip differential). This is on all TL's(04-06 + new 6MT type-s) with a manual transmission.

Personally, I would reccommend you checkout autotrader.com and carmax.com to aid your search.
  • jeff442jeff442 Member Posts: 2
    Well from what I gather, the 2006 model was the first to incorporate some type of compensation for the torque steer inherent in high HP front wheel drive cars. Keep in mind I will be buying a 6MT. The only reviews I've seen are basically paid advertisements that claim the 2006 "eliminates the problematic torque steert" (I find it hard to believe that it is fully eliminated). Anyone have first hand experience with a 2006-2007 vs. 2004-2005?