Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Accord vs Toyota Camry

Comments

• camry1090camry1090 Member Posts: 7
    This is my first time posting on the boards! :) Anyway, I just got a 2000 Toyota Camry LE and it has taken me awhile to get used to the styling of the new Camry (compared to the '03 Accord which I warmed up to instantly). It looks frumpy in the front and not as sleek as the '97-'01 Camry or as sleek as the '06 Accord. However, the interior of the car is a different story. Personally, I have always preferred the Honda Accord over the Camry any day of the week. Just a sportier car, and I like that. It was my grandma's car, but she passed away in Feb. and the car was left to me. She came really closer to getting a '00 Accord EX but she liked the Camry better. Heck the '92 Accord LX she had was sportier than the '00 Camry LE I have. But I still love it anyway. Sorry if this post seems pointless.
  • lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    At some point you have to say enough is enough. Not sure what the car is worth but that $500 will get you up to $2100 which hasn't added any value to the car. May be time to unload it.

I had the same dilemma with a minivan a few years back and regretted that I didn't sell it a year earlier. I actually had to give it away (12 years old, 140,000 miles) to the local homeless shelter. Didn't get a single call when it was advertised in the newspaper at a very reasonable price.
  • petomlinpetomlin Member Posts: 103
    Seems like your '94 Accord has served you well. :) Now treat yourself to a nice new car. Before long you'll begin to regret putting money into the Accord. Make the move. Especially since there is another car on the market which appeals to you.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    Welcome to the boards, buddy! Don't worry, pointless posts tend to run rampant around here, and yours actually seemed to know what it was talking about. Look forward to bloggin with ya!
  • camry1090camry1090 Member Posts: 7
    Thanks for the welcome! I have loved cars since I could talk and now being able to own one that I have always liked is a dream come true!
  • alrjalrj Member Posts: 11
    OKAY I DONT THINK U CAN START COMPARING THE 07 CAMRY TO THE 06 ACCORD, JUST WAIT AND SEE HONDA STEP RIGHT OVER THE CAMRY LIKE IT ALWAYS DOES WITH THE NEW MODEL
    TRUST ME WAIT AND SEE THE NEW ACCORD JUST THINK BACK AND SEE HOW HONDA HAS ALWAYS STEP OVER TOYOTA CAMRY IT IS WORTH THE WAIT!
  • tinatinatinatina Member Posts: 388
    Ok, alrj, I trust you. No reason though to use all caps when posting. (Its considered bad form). We will see what Honda comes out with when it arrives. If they push the envelope as they did with the new Civic which is now way ahead of the competition, then it may be a very good vehicle. With that said, its a matter of personal preferences between the top 2 vehicles in a very crowded and very competitive segment.

You may want to read Edmunds 4 car comparision of the Camry, Sonata, Accord, and the Fusion (if you have not already done so). Its kind of suprising that Camry just barely edged out the Accord. I would have thought that it would have been a bigger score (bigger victory) for the Camry. Lots of good comments though on each vehicle (pros and cons).

I usually get an invitation for special test drives on Hondas' new vehicles, so we'll see if they extend it on the 2008s. In my last two Honda surveys, when purchasing the 2000 and 2004 Accords, I made comments that they should extend the warranty to make it competitive to Toyota, in addition to other surveys/market recommendations. I like to think my comments were read by the bean counters at Honda...but probably not.

Right now, I would not pay over $2k for a new Camry LE 4. I don't think its $2k better than my 2004 Accord LX sedan. The styling is pretty good on the Camry though as are the additional airbags. I'm waiting to see one of the car magazines do the same test as Edmunds, but make it a battle of the 4 cylinders.
    okay u are comparing the new generation of camry to the current generation of the accord, u just dont do that. all i can say is toyota cam can have its fun now we all know what happend last time when yo thought the 02 cam was ahead of its class then there was the 03 accord which dominated :P
    the new 07 camry looks like a blown up toyota echo i am postive that the 08 accord will run right over this car, just take a look at the all new civic the design is something that u wouldnt think to see on a civic it even has an option for a navi system which is way ahead of its class. toyota might want to try again before 08 gets here
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Uh, we might want until the 08 Accord is a reality before we declare it a winner over the Camry that actually exists today. :)

By the way - using some punctuation would make your posts a lot easier to follow.
  • fsowirlesfsowirles Member Posts: 195
    I don't know what world you are living in, but a comparo is done with currently available models. Taking your logic, the next Accord will get trounced by the new Saturn...whenever it comes out. See how silly that is? ;)
    just take a look at the all new civic the design is something that u wouldnt think to see on a civic it even has an option for a navi system which is way ahead of its class.

Navi ahead of it's class??? Mazda3 has offered Navi since introduction in 2004. ;)
  • binubinu Member Posts: 81
    I am currently trying to decide between the Camry LE 4 cylinder and Accord LX SE 4 cylinder. I have received similar quotes for both vehicles.

In my opinion:
    Pros for Accord:-
    - Driving characteristics; however not sure if this still holds true as I have not driven the new Camry yet. I know, the Camry SE may be worth looking but all Camry SE's here seem to come with spoilers which I dislike.
    - Sharp and Simple Looks

Pros for Camry:-
    - 2007 model vs 2006 for Accord- I am not sure if this helps in resale.
    - Can get a LE w/Sunroof. On Accord, I would need to upgrade to EX and this means more $$.

I will need to test drive the new Camry.
    I guess, I will end up with the Camry if I find that the performance of the 4 cylinder is comparable to the Accord's 4 cylinder, especially while passing.

Has anyone done similar comparisons? If so, appreciate your comments.
  • mattgg1mattgg1 Member Posts: 191
    BINU -

I was in nearly the exact same position as you a few weeks ago, and narrowed it down to the Accord LX SE vs. the Camry LE or SE.

All of the "pros" you have listed for these two cars are true. Here are some additional opinions based on my test drives of these cars:

- If you are looking for a well-handling car that wants to be driven, the Camry LE is not for you. It was way too cushy and soft for my taste. The driving characteristics of the Accord LX SE are much better.

- The handling/driving characteristics of the Camry SE are much better than the LE. However, I still slightly prefer the Accord in this area.

- Also, the SE unfortunately comes with those silly-looking lower body moldings and no fold-down rear seat. The body moldings appear to have been thrown on as an afterthought to make the car look more "sporty", and the fixed rear seat can be a real inconvenience.

- While the styling of the Camry is new/different, I don't think it will hold up over time. Give it 3 years or so and it will look very dated. While the Accord styling is understated and somewhat bland, it will still look good 5-10 years from now.

The 4 cyl. engines are comparable, and it is unfortunate that you can't add a sunroof to an Accord SE. However, I decided to purchase the Accord SE, and I don't regret my decision.
  • suzeessuzees Member Posts: 22
    Well, owning a '02 Camry, LE for 4 years and recently purchasing an '06 Accord EX-L, I can give you pretty good comparisons. Both were 4 cylinders, but the 4cyl Accord is 166 HP, which is more than the 4cyl camry. And I can really tell the difference also. The accord has much better get up and go than the camry.

Of course, I own the Accord EX-L. The reason that I bought the Accord EX over buying the '07 camry (which I would have gotten the XLE), was that I got a much better deal than I could have gotten from Toyota. For what I got with my EX-L, I would have had to pay $2,000-2500 more for the toyota.

The new Camry's seem bigger than the previous models. And the camry is bigger than the Accord a bit. I can tell the difference in the front seat of my Accord. But, regarding the Accord, I think it's very comfortable, especially with the leather, it's a sharp looking, quality car.

I'd recommend the Accord highly. :)
    Um, The Camry will be out for 18 months before 2008 Accords are on dealer lots. Lots of cars will be sold in that time, so a comparison IS in order between both CURRENT models (07 Cam, 06-07 Acc)
    " While the Accord styling is understated and somewhat bland, it will still look good 5-10 years from now."

That's assuming you think it looks good now, which many don't. ;)
    I surely hope you aren't casting stones from the Camry's glass house, buddy.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Easily the most subjective aspect of a car, is it really worth debating?

~alpha
    Good point, Alpha. The Accord is bland, and therefore BORING, IMO. See, opinion's are just that. By definition they can not be wrong ;)
    True!

By definition they can not be wrong

I'll take bland over bumpy any day, though. I really don't think the Accord is bland. Conservative, yes, but it's what keeps it looking up to date 10 years down the road. I doubt the Mazda 6 with its bulbous taillights and Pontiac-busy/flashy wheels will be nearly as new-looking down the road. I could be wrong though.
  • henry3henry3 Member Posts: 22
    I guess styling just by itself is very subjective therefore hard to argue one way or the other. As for me, I like the new Camry's styling, not sure of its longevity, but for now it looks good in my eyes. As far as Accord vs Camry, as far as I'm concerned these are really different cars. Just few days back I test drove both the 07 Camry and 06 Accord, both V6 versions, Camry LE and Accord LX. My current car is Audi A4 3.0L Quattro, before this I had Accord V6 Coupe and before that BMW 328. I like the german cars, it just feels more attached to the car/driving experience. As such, Accord is closer to that feeling than the Camry, not close enough but closer. If my wife eventually forces me to get a mid-20k dollar car, it will be the Accord. As others stated, Camry just feels too plush, too comfortable. Nice car, but not for me.

Good luck everyone.
    Agreed, they are both good cars. If he is getting the 6 cylinder version, I think the Camry SE is the best version, and by far is ahead of the equivalent Accord.

If he is going with the 4 cylinder Camry CE/LE versus the DX/LX Accord, you may want to go with the Honda Accord. It has better handling, more horsepower, and better fuel economy (per the infamous EPA Windowsticker), especially when comparing PZEV units. The Accord has a very smooth and powerful 4 cylinder coupled with an awesome 5 speed auto tranny. No hesitation whatsover with the Accord's 5 speeed tranny.

If you are shopping price - then the Accord may be the winner. But I would recommend that you wait until May. Honda has always started incentives on the Accord in May, specifically f-t-d. I think by late May, Toyota dealers should be well supplied with Camrys and they will probably deal more around Memorial Day. My two local dealers are now beginning to burst with Camrys - 27 and 37 units.

Best of luck with whatever you buy.
    Have you actually driven an Accord DX? The vehicle lacks a rear stabilizer bar... try an avoidance manuver and see how steady the vehicle feels... then tell me that it handles better than the Camry...

And then of course, the Camry has 4 wheel disc brakes, which the Accord DX/LX lack.

For our enlightenment, what exactly do you mean that the Accord has 'better fuel economy, especially comparing PZEV units'.

There have not been alleged hesitation issues with the Camry's 4c and 5A. The hesitation issue was with the OLD, DISCONTINUED V6 and OLD, DISCONTINUED 5A. But its nice that you brought it up anyway....

Also, FWIW, what does your local dealers having 27 and 37 Camrys indicate? Anything? I'm not aware of the point your making. The Camrys are not being discounted, and as I noted on another thread, the vehicle is selling well enough that volume discounter Fitzmall.com has actually RAISED their selling prices recently.

~alpha
    I can not comment on engine/tranny hesitation on the Camry or other Toyota product, its too bad if you experienced that problem. However, as a Toyota owner, I have never had that problem. So, its not clear what you are even talking about.

As you may/may not know Honda had problems in the late 1980s and 1990s with engines/auto trannys/other tranny problems that hesitated or did not always shift ideally. This is now gone, and if you ever owned/driven the current generation 4 cylinder/auto Accord, it shifts very smoothly. You can ask other owners who have driven Hondas/Acuras over the past 20 years, as I have, about engine/auto tranny hesitation/shifting problems, and those who have the current generation Accord.

EPA rates the 2006 Accord 4 auto as having slightly better fuel economy. Please refer to the EPA website, 2006 Honda Accord brochure, and the 2007 Camry brochure, if you even believe those infamous #s.

Getting a better/worse price depends on what is/on the lot. Dealers that have more stock on hand may be willing to bargain a bit more. Time of the month is also a factor. As the inventory gets larger, when supply catches up with demand, presumably one could get a better price.

Finally, "Camrys are not being discounted." Oh really, in the whole U.S.? That's too bad if that's the case in your area. However, making a broad statement like this lacks logic, and basing it on one dealer raising prices on their internet is not indicative of anything. Its kind of like saying that the stock market is going up because Intel stock is going up.

I know because my salesperson keeps emailing me, and the price for an LE -4 auto went from $20,900 plus TTL to $18,888 plus TTL as inventory has caught up. Other posters have gotten similar offers, so yes there are discounts. If you are geting forced to pay MSRP or above on an LE 4 Camry, then you may want to shop elsewhere, or just wait a bit.
    1) Given the context of your post (comparison between Camry and Accord), I thought the comment you made in regards to hestitation and the Accord was referencing the Camry's issues with the previous generation 3.0L V6 and 5A. My mistake, but your post was not clear as to why you even referenced hesitation...

2)I know that the Accord is rated slightly higher than the Camry in EPA figures. My question to you was around your comment "especially PZEV models".

3) By discounted, I meant the word incentivized. I should have used that word to avoid confusion and that is my fault and I apologize. There are no factory to dealer or factory to consumer incentives on the Camry right now.

~alpha
    Ok, we concur. More clarity for the both of us would have been better.

I only can compare the PZEV 4 cylinder auto units since this is the only info I have that I compared those numbers to. I could not get a non-PZEV unit in CA, nor am I personally interested in a V-6 Camry or Accord (just a personal choice). By the way, I'm seriously leaning towards the Camry LE 4 due to the styling, extra safety features, etc. However, I'm personally waiting for a "Big Memorial Day Sale", or at least hoping for one.

#3- Of course there would be no incentives, its not a Sonata. By the way, Alpha, you are a trouble maker, you riled up the mid size comparison board a bit (just kidding).
    I am a trouble-maker ;) ... that's why they keep me around! I just a facts junkie, and I'd like to think I can admit when I make a mistake.

~alpha
    Don't worry for what its worth, I got your back on that thread. I posted twice agreeing with you on the Sonata, and the article you cited is a fact. Take care.
    Are you aware that there is now no longer such thing as a 2006 Accord DX? They have a MUCH better equipped Value Package, that is lightly sold. Most iterations are LX and up, all of which outhandle the Camry.

I'm convinced having 4-wheel discs is overrated on all but the sportiest cars...

I have two cars, a 1996 LX Accord (rear drums, no ABS) and a 2006 Accord EX I4 (rear discs, ABS, EBD). My 1996 Accord has the braking power to lock up the rear brakes on DRY surfaces, so what will discs offer other than better heat resistance after multi-high speed stops? Not much that I can tell. They also last a LONG time, as I have 160,000 miles on my original rear brake drums. (I feel I should say that My grandmother/I got 131,000 miles on the front discs; she drove 75 miles a day highway for the 120,000 miles she had the car).

Discs don't do much for me, sorry. I say keep costs down and use rear drums, but keep the ABS and EBD.
    DX, VP... does it have stabilizer bar? Point remains.. NOPE. I disagree that all versions of the Accord outhandle the Camry, as well, and aside from the intrusive VSC, most accounts have praised the new Camry's handling... from here on edmunds.com to Car and Driver's review in the Mar. 06 issue.

From the Edmunds.com review of the Camry V6 in relation to the Accord "It's too bad there's no way of disabling the stability control because the Camry feels like it could go quicker than the safety-minded engineers will allow. It feels at least as athletic as the Accord, but we'll never know. "

I agree, if drums get the job done well enough, so be it. In most cases, though, the greater swept area afforded by rear discs can serve to provide better stopping power, especially in heavier vehicles ( your '96 weighs nowhere near the '06)....

Then again, discs or drums, the current Accord isnt really known for braking power...hence...the Accord EX V6's rating of 'Poor' for Braking in the edmunds.com review...
    " noticeable amount of tire scratch coming into the cabin, as if the car was braking on a gravel road. By the third stop from 60 mph, the brakes were fading and beginning to smoke. "

Ha! Given that abysmal write-up, maybe I just created a case for your DRUMS.

~alpha
    Yes, I'm aware, the weight difference is almost 400 pounds (I'm aware of it, but wasn't thinking when i wrote that; attribute it to the fact that its past my bedtime. :)
    Most iterations are LX and up, all of which outhandle the Camry.

Are you comparing it to a 2004 Camry with blown shocks? :P I would put my SE V6 up against any stock Accord any day. Look at the skidpad and slalom numbers.

The '07 Camry SE V6 did 0.83g and 63.6mph.

The '04 EX-V6 Coupe with 215/50-17 Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 M+S did 0.81g and 63.9mph.

That is a sedan against a coupe :surprise:
    "I'm convinced having 4-wheel discs is overrated on all but the sportiest cars... "

The usage of rear disc brakes in passenger cars is driven by the product planners not the engineers. For stopping on dry pavement, drums will work just fine. Discs offer some advantages when wet and react better to ABS but purely from a physics standpoint, drum brakes can do the job.

Having said that, I will admit that that shiny rotor looks a lot better through the openings in an alloy when than the ugly drum. That's why I only buy cars with rear discs. ;)
    Having said that, I will admit that that shiny rotor looks a lot better through the openings in an alloy when than the ugly drum.

This is true :) . If you are an LX/LE buyer, you will not have alloys (a lot of people). Luckily for me, my LX has plastic covers over the drums and my EX has 4 discs for the alloys to show off.
  • seniorjoseseniorjose Member Posts: 277
    You may be mistaken, my 2005 Accord EX I4 has 4-wheel disc brakes and I am almost sure that the 2006 is the same.
    No, I clearly stated that my EX has disc brakes. It's my 1996 LX that I was referring to with drum brakes (and No ABS). I wasn't mistaken, you just mistook what I said. I'll work on clarity next time. LX = Drums, EX = Discs
  • njeraldnjerald Member Posts: 689
    It was clear enough for most people.
    When I've been working on my Newswriting all day, I wonder why I bother writing even more over here, because it wears me out!
  • ezshift5ezshift5 Member Posts: 858

.. I wonder why I bother writing even more over here, because it wears me out!

..well, we all have concerns....

..is it time for a Crown Royal yet?

(somewhere the sun is over the yardarm)

.ez.
    (USNR)
  • petlpetl Member Posts: 610
    Gibson's is pretty darn smooth. May not be available in the US.
  • ezshift5ezshift5 Member Posts: 858
    ..Gibson's is pretty darn smooth.

..difficult for me to fathom (nautical, right?) anything smoother than Crown Royal. Well Done.

..ez..
  • petlpetl Member Posts: 610
    I am having a difficult time deciding between the Camry and RAV. In the old days, regardless which Toyota you selected, the 4cyl could tow 1,500lbs. and the 3,500lbs. with the 6cyl (my 2002 4cyl can tow 2,000lbs). It appears that has changed. Towing capacity with the new Avalon is only 1,000lbs. The brochure and web information does not specify any limits for the new Camry. That leads me to believe that towing capacities have decreased.

I have not talked to any sales people yet. However, I have sat in the new Camry (nice vehicle). Unfortunately, the manual was not in the vehicle. If someone knows what the towing limits are, please let me know. I have a small fishing boat that weighs approx. 1,300lbs.

When I visit my brother in-law it's Crown Royal, when he visits me it's Gibson's finest (even when we travel together, 3 weeks ago we each picked-up a bottle of our favourite at the duty free on our way down to Myrtle Beach). VO is not shaby either. It's usually a good time.
  • njeraldnjerald Member Posts: 689
    '07 Camry towing limit is 1,000 lbs.
  • rookie10rookie10 Member Posts: 2
    I'm a first time car buyer and I really don't know much about cars. I'm choosing between the 07 Camry XLE V6 and the 06 Accord EX V6, both automatic... Reliability, gas mileage, and control are very important to me... I'm also planning to get a navi in the car. I'd like a classier interior (one with less breakable plastic parts). Trunk space is also a plus. I've been reading some of the previous posts, but none seem to compare these higher models (probably cuz only people who don't know about cars buy them ;) ). But anyway, given those are my preferences, and given small conveniences or perks like heated seats(which i think are standard in those models) make me happy (but I won't pay more for accesories over whats standard), what car would you recommend?
  • suzeessuzees Member Posts: 22
    Well I went back and forth between the 07 XLE camry and the 06 EX-L Accord. The only thing different for me is that I was going to get the 4 cylinder. But, anyway, I think the dash in the Accord is very much nicer. I heard from a few other people on other forums that they thought the camry's buttons on the dash seemed cheap and they had issues with one or two buttoms that wanted to come off. I had a '02 camry prior. I really liked it, the ride was wonderful. But, I did go to the Accord; one reason is that I got more for the money. I wanted leather, xm, sunroof.. The camry would have been at least $2,000 more. The camry doesn't offer xm, but they do have bluetooth. The Accord isn't as smooth as a ride as the camry, but I think it handles the road very nice, it's very quiet, and overall, I think it's a very classy looking car. I'm happy with my purchase, and I'm sure you'll make a good choice for you, also.
    Since you are comparing top-trim models, why not read over the Edmunds.com comparison test, in which the Camry XLE V6 and Accord EV V6 went head to head? You'll find some good commentary there, but again its only one organizations opinion.

~alpha
  • rookie10rookie10 Member Posts: 2
    i really appreciate the responses... I checked the comparison article and got some good information there. Suzees, im was just wondering what made you choose the 4 cylinder over the V6? gas mileage?
    If you are only comparing those two vehicles with the trim levels, maybe pricing is as issue. You should be able to get a pretty good discount on the Accord V-6 versus the Camry V-6, if this is an issue (check out the prices paid threads for each vehicle). Interestingly enough, wben I went to my local dealership, they did not have any 4 cylinder Camry units in stock. They had five or six V-6s and they tried to sell me a $29,XXX XLE V-6 (basically loaded w/o NAV) for $26,XXX plus TTL. I don't know why they only had V-6s in stock, but I wonder if it has to do with gas prices going over $3.10 for the cheap stuff. Anyway, I plan on waiting another month or so, before buying the Camry. I will get the 4 cylinder since it has adequate power and gas prices are expected to reach $3.50 in my area.

I agree with Suzees comments on the appearance of the dash being better in the Accord. The LE 4 Camry's dash looks cheap. I also like the Accord's gauges better.

Anway, best of luck with whatever you chose, they are both great cars, so I won't push you to either one.