Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Accord vs Toyota Camry

1495051525355»

Comments

• berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    I bought a Camry this year after also test driving an Accord. Both were nice cars, but the deals on the Camry were much better. They are a bit different, but I don't think as much as some claim. If rattles bug you, my experience has been its an issue on a lot of Honda and Toyota products. You may want to look at the 2010 Fusion. I think they are built a little tighter than either Accord or Camry. Can't say much about the Malibu. They weren't offering the good deals they are now when I was buying and there was just something I didn't like about the entry and exit ergonomics when I sat in it during the auto show. I'd test drive all four of these, narrow down the ones you like best and then go by price.
  • rar2rar2 Member Posts: 13
    I had issues with my last two Honda SUV's so I have moved to a toyota Camry. Previously always had Honda's over approx 20 years (Accord, Prelude, CR-V and Pilot). I have a V6 Camry 2008 LE.

It does have a great feature that allows you to have a manual transmission/standard shifting which is great in the snow, I live in New England.

I would beware. There are a lot of nice features but it vibrates on the highway once you reach 65-75. This did not happen in a test drive on the highway. This was noticed in the first week of ownership, November '08. It is not a tire balance issue. Have gone back and forth with the dealer and Toyota Corp which has stated it is by design, although it doesn't seem everyone has it. I am heading to arbitration. The bluetooth is great, but eventually gives intermittent problems and Toyota doesn't stand behind it.

Check disputes and complaints about any vehicle you are thinking of purchasing, if you have time.

good luck
  • jason50jason50 Member Posts: 55
    that the Camry is lower priced, but when you actually go out shopping for both the Camry and Accord, the Camry is priced higher than Accord. If you look at Edmunds, the Camry costs less. It is also harder to negotiate on the Camry vs. Accord. Strange but true. I remember back in the day when dealers wouldn't negotiate on the Accord.
  • gooddeal2gooddeal2 Member Posts: 750
    If you look at Edmunds, the Camry costs less. It is also harder to negotiate on the Camry vs. Accord. Strange but true. I remember back in the day when dealers wouldn't negotiate on the Accord.

My guess is that Toyota knows how to play game very well. They introduced the '10 Camry as soon as it's allowed by the law, Feb. 2009, ( I read this some where on how early they can introduce a car). You cannot find much deal on the '10 Camry b/c the dealers want to get rid of '09. Even if they don't have many '09, they don't have to sell the '10 low b/c they have many more months to sell them.

I bet it will be harder to negotiate for the '10 Accord if they have them on the lot now. I just don't understand why the '10 Altima or '10 Accord is not out yet. :confuse:
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    But, that could throw the cycle off for the Accord. As the new 08 model did not arrive until September I believe. So, it could be September when the 2010 model arrives.

On my next lease, I am going to look at the date of the car before I sign for it. My car had been sitting for nearly 8mths before moving off the lot. Not a real issue, but 8mths outside sitting, that is not really 100% new anymore. Too long! I will not do that again.
    I am going to get a more fresh car. Or get a car right off the truck, with the wrapper on it. We did that on our new 08 VW.
  • yepmaybeyepmaybe Member Posts: 3
    i cant vouch for the 2009 models, but as far as the 2010, and 2011 models they are by far the better car for the money! and just replying to the comment made about the ride quality, if you had done your research you'll learn that the accord has more leg room hip room and head room, and the dash is made alot better than the camry, the quality of the parts on the interior of the camry and the way they fit is def. 2nd rate, and the camry has mcpherson strut suspension and handles like a vw bus, lol jk, but the accord has double wishbone suspension and that along with the vsa system, allows you to corner tighter and faster than any other full size car out there.
  • yepmaybeyepmaybe Member Posts: 3
    all i ask, is that when comparing accord to camry.. sure the camry is cheaper on sticker, but then take all the features that come standard on the accord, then add them to the sticker price of the camry, THEN see which is cheaper, and to all the other comments on the road noise, the ex trim and above actually now comes with a noise cancellation system, which places microphones in the front and rear of the car, and uses the radio to send out opposite sounds to quiten the noise down, and the accord isn't a midsize car, its' considered a fullsize sedan, .... as far as all the incentives (camry, fusion, sonata) on the competition, all that does is lower the residual value of the vehicle, thats why honda doesn't give rebates and such. also, check on maitenance, how much is it to change the oil, and how often are you supposed to change the oil, tires etc. ... just a small fact, but honda corp. is the WORLD'S LARGEST engine manufactuer, thats why they make cars that last forever, lol :surprise:
  • berriberri Member Posts: 10,165
    Personally, I've got to think that after driving a Camry and Accord back to back most any person would have a definite preference. I think they are very different cars. The Camry is like an Impala back in the 60's - more about smooth ride, while the Accord is more a 60's Mopar - more about handling. To me, the more interesting comparisons are the in between products like Fusion vs. Altima vs. Malibu. I kind of look at these cars on a continuum:

Camry - Malibu - Altima - Fusion - Accord
  • hobieslug1hobieslug1 Member Posts: 9
    if it comes down to suspension the double wish bone is a superior system. If your just looking at the design theory, and also more expensive to produce, that's why honda went to a multi link rear suspension, dropping the rear wish bone design.
  • sanishsanish Member Posts: 66
    The all-new 2012 Camry and Camry Hybrid is designed to meet the changing needs of the 21st Century driver, the new Camry will provide technologically advanced features, a contemporary design inside and out, improved performance and refined ride and handling.
  • tallman1tallman1 Member Posts: 1,874
    Those words could be part of almost every press release for every vehicle sold. ;)
  • flbntzflbntz Member Posts: 43
    I have a 2011 Camry base, and am going to drive 2012 Accord LX, and Civic LX sedans to compare. I bought the Camry spur of the moment, good deal. Was always more of a Honda person, as well. Had a new 2010 Prius, but although I thought it was cool, and I liked it, it got boring to drive. Also, didn't get the advertised 50mpg in the winter when I bought it. Traded it for a 2010 Golf, which I liked. VW under-promises on the gas milage, then over-delivers, Toyota over-promises, then under-delivers. My Camry is rated 32mpg on the highway, I got 28 on a seven hour highway drive, and I'm usually above the curve, milage-wise. Disappointing. They are also hard to deal with, if you have a complaint. Just like GM. I had a 2004 Impala new, and the trans went at 100,000 miles! No help from GM, although all kinds of other owners had the same problem. Honda was just the opposite. 1996 Civic DX coupe with manual transmission. Put 273,000 miles on it, original clutch. Had problems, but Honda by and large fixed them, even outside of warrantee. Honda has lease deals right now that would substantially lower my monthly payments, and I agree that the Hondas can be more engaging to drive. The fit-and-finish issue I think is valid as well, but I'm wondering if the Camry might not be more trouble-free to drive over the long haul, and then I'd own it, vs having to make other arrangements when the Honda lease would be up. It's actually kind of nice not to have such an engaging vehicle to drive sometimes, just something relaxed, and easy. There is something likable about the Camry that's not perfect, but hard to put into words. It's easy to live with, and I suspect I may have less maintenance problems with it that the Hondas. Still, I'm going to drive them just to compare, but I suspect I'll keep my imperfect Camry, Toyota, and all.