Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Honda Accord vs Toyota Camry

Comments

• soberssobers Member Posts: 496
    Theres no point in discussing about visibility & "open feel" you get in Accord. Though it can't be used as a fact, please read this:

http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/comparison/articles/43901/page020.html

Accord visibility is given the best figures among the family cars tested. Above Maxima & others (Camry wasn't in the test) I bet if Accord is better in Visibility than Max, it HAS to be better than Camry...RIGHT ?? Maybe not for YOU! :)

Ever notice how distance between Accord's windshield(bottom) & the driver/passenger (or the start of the dash) for that sake is atleast 1 feet more than that of Camry ?

Again a sporty Accord is less of a oxymoron than a Sporty Camry -:))

• ripinrocketripinrocket Member Posts: 157
    sobers,

You have a problem. That problem is you don't know fact from opinion. If you knew the difference, you would know that any *views* represented by articles are opinions. Who's opinions are they? The editors and writer's opinions. What are facts in those articles? 0-60 times, dimensions of the car, how big the engine is, how much power the car produces. Visibility, how a car rides, how a seat feels, how the steering feels, how the brake pedal feels are not facts. They are opinions.

Why are you trying soo hard to try and make me believe the Accord has better visibility than the Camry? Do you really care that much to try and make me switch my mind? I don't care if you find your Accord has the best suspension in the world, the best interior, the most storage space, and the visibility. You know why you shouldn't care and shouldn't even try to switch my mind? Because I have driven both(I own a Accord, 2K) and I have driven Camry's extensively, and IMO, the Camry has better visibility.

"Ever notice how distance between Accord's windshield(bottom) & the driver/passenger (or the start of the dash) for that sake is atleast 1 feet more than that of Camry ?" ANd what does that prove? Remind me next time I drive a Camry to take a ruler with me to measure the distance between driver and windshield!

And again, there is no such thing as a *Sporty Accord*.

FYI, the 2002 Camry will have a *Sporty* version with TRD mods straight from the factory. You may want to read some tests on current Generation TRD Camry's & Solara's.
  • badtoybadtoy Member Posts: 343
    will suck the doors off ANY Accord, and it IS factory equipment. Honda owners don't like to admit it that it is, because they know their little marshmallows can't compete on that level. But facts is facts, and a supercharged Camry with TRD suspension won't take any baloney from an Accord, maxima, Passat or any other car in anywhere near its class.
    Ripinrocket: Don't get angry (personal comments)at me. I don't have any problem of facts vs opinion !! If 95 out of 100 people who drive cars for their living say that Accord has a better visibility then I would quote that in this forum. (In this case, I also happen to agree with them!)

About the distance between Side Windows & Windshield: You don't need rulers...just an open mind -:)) Also, this distance does not talk about the visibilitty but the 'open feel' you get in Accord !

TRD Toyotas ARE A JOKE !!! Once you put them on the rediculously Soft suspended regular Camry, they drive the cost more than 30K !!! Isn't it a JOKE ???
    Interesting figures: Mugen Honda parts for Accords would blow off TRD pacjages. Aslo HKS had a kit for V6 Accord bossting power to 280 with different powertrain compoennets to handle the extra power & lowered suspension...All package costing around 3000 bucks. TRD parts cost in the order of $9000 !!!

TRD parts CURRENTLY are REDICULOUS & offer nothing for performance enthusiasts. Also whay would you like to waste you efforts to modify a car which is intended for rediculously soft(toyota salesman call it Luxurious!!) ride & biased towards older crowds who apply cruise at the first available opportunity & go to sleep !! :))
    sobers,

Who is angry? Just pointing out you can't figure out the difference between *fact* and *opinions*.

Please find 95 out of 100 people who will say the Accords visibility is better. Of course that still means squat to me. Right?

So now, the distance between the driver and the windshield is about *openess* in the car. Who cares?

I wonder why TRD Toyota's are a joke. Maybe because Honda doesn't offer that kind of parts for the Accord with a factory warranty? Or is it because a TRD Camry will run circles around a Accord? Also, a Camry V6 can be had with a 5-speed manual. Can the Accord V6 be had with that? 5-speed manual Camry, TRD suspension and it will handle as well as a Mugen Honda Accord and blow it away in a straight line.

Mugen parts aren't warrantied by Honda.

2) TRD Supercharger runs about $5K installed. and HKS does not produce a turbo kit for the Accord V6. Why? HKS found out the junk Accord transmission can't accept 280bhp!

"TRD Parts cost $9000". Yeah, that's $9,000 for the supercharger, wheels, suspension, intake & exhaust.

If someone did make a turbo/supercharger for the Accord it would cost about $3K to $4K plus installation, springs, shocks & sway bars would cost about $300, $600, $500 respectively plus installation, and intake & exhaust would run about $1K.

Oh, yeah, the only known company even coming out with a supercharger/turbo for the Accord V6 is Comptech and they haven't 1) even finished designing it yet and 2) they don't even know if the Honda tranny will take the power. And 3) expected cost is expected to be about $4,500 to $5,000.

Again, I prove you know *jack* about Accords or Camry's.
    So you don't care which car offers better visibility ! If 95% say Accord is better that doesn't mean anything to you. Thats fine with me. It is like you say "IMO it is an orange" but it is actually a banana....!! But thats ok....for you it is orange.

Again TRD Parts is sort of a afterthought for a car having sole purpose of providing comfortable, quite, smooth ride & it is designed basicallly for that ! It is not at all ANYWAY designed to be *tuners* car! Accord is very easy to modify & there are a lot of advertisements you cna get from velocity magazine for the parts.

TRD parts are JOKE because if you need a performance car WHY WOULD YOU START WITH a Camry or solara in the first place ???? -:))

For you info, HKS Accord with 280 hp & slammed suspension has been tested about year & a half back !! & the whole package cost (including supercharger & suspension powertrain modification) was about 3500. As I said it is very easy to play with Accord's suspension & to modify it. There are a LOT more modified Accords on the road than the Camrys !!

I am really surprised that somebody cares so much for the cost of TRD parts about 9000! You can get very good entry luxury cars for that price !

The basic observation is that for any tuner Camry is much worse starting point point than any other car....

It is obvious that you don't care about the distance of the side windows & windshield from the driver which gives an open feel in accord just because you just want to ignore that.

Again, It doesn't matter to me if you are an expert & I am a novice....I am just an average consumer who has spent money on 2000 Accord SE & has driven rental camrys for hours....
    sobers,

"So you don't care which car offers better visibility ! If 95% say Accord is better that doesn't mean anything to you. Thats fine with me. It is like you say "IMO it is an orange" but it is actually a banana....!! But thats ok....for you it is orange."

First of all, you won't even find 95 out of 100 people who find the visibility better in a Accord over a camry.
    Second, why in this world would I change my mind if 95% of people find the Accord's visibility better? If 95% find the Accords better and the Camry's is better for me, how does it benefit me?

"Again TRD Parts is sort of a afterthought for a car having sole purpose of providing comfortable, quite, smooth ride & it is designed basicallly for that ! It is not at all ANYWAY designed to be *tuners* car! Accord is very easy to modify & there are a lot of advertisements you cna get from velocity magazine for the parts."

Yes, the TRD parts are a afterthought, just like Greddy, Comptech, Mugen, DC Sports, HKS, Borla parts are.

BTW, isn't the sole purpose of a Accord to be a family car? To include a comfortable, smooth ride? Huh. Wait a minute, yes that is the purpose of the Accord.

If TRD parts are a joke, why do they work? Let's see TRD's supercharger for the Camry/Solara works. So do the suspension parts. And from reading articles the magazines agree that TRD parts work great on the cars. So, where's the joke part?

"For you info, HKS Accord with 280 hp & slammed suspension has been tested about year & a half back !! & the whole package cost (including supercharger & suspension powertrain modification) was about 3500"

FYI, that was about 2years ago, and it was a prototype kit that was supposed to come out. Did you actually bother to read the article in Motor Trend? The Accord with the HKS turbo kit and 280bhp only improved it's 0-60 time by about 0.2 seconds. And in that MT article it also said that the transmission seems to be the culprit behind the minimal gain. HKS also gave the reasoning that the honda trans. can't handle the turbo's power. Therefore, HKS ditched the project.

A simple call to HKS would tell you HKS doesn't sell a turbo kit for the Accord. And nor does any other reputable aftermarket tuner.

"I am really surprised that somebody cares so much for the cost of TRD parts about 9000! You can get very good entry luxury cars for that price "

I see as usual, you like to ignore the facts. Base Accord V6 EX Coupe: $25K. AFter discount about $23K. Add $3500+about $1000 for installation of a imaginary turbo kit that HKS sells, add about $300 for springs, $500 all around for shocks, $300-$400 for sway bars, $1000 for exhaust & intake and what do you have? About a $28K car! Again, you can get a 3.2TL, a Audi A4 1.8T, a BMW 325i for that money. why bother with the family hauler Accord?

I spent money on a 2000 Accord EX-V6 coupe also.
    And you spent money on a Accord SE. The point is.....??? The point is you can't back up anything you say with real arguments that hold water.
    I agree about HKS not being in the market currently as such BUT there are a lot of other options(like vortech supercharger) I read about in the Velocity magazine. There are thousands of more modified Accords than the Camry/Solaras.

V6 Camry costs atleast 1500 more than V6 Accord, so you have more expensive car after TRD modification.

& for the nth time: Why would you start with Camry/Solara platform if you wanted to make it a sportier car ???
    I agree about HKS not being in the market currently as such BUT there are a lot of other options(like vortech supercharger) I read about in the Velocity magazine. There are thousands of more modified Accords than the Camry/Solaras.

V6 Camry costs atleast 1500 more than V6 Accord, so you have more expensive car after TRD modification.

& for the nth time: Why would you start with Camry/Solara platform if you wanted to make it a sportier car ???

Accord though is a family car us much more *tuners* car & gives a much better platform to work on than current camry version !!
    Does vortech make a Accord V6 specific turbocharger kit? Umm. No they don't. DOes anyone at this point make a turbo/supercharger kit specifically for the Accord V6? No.

If you want to use Vortech, be my guest, but have fun installing it!

Why would you start with a Accord platform if you wanted to make it a sportier car???

"V6 Camry costs atleast 1500 more than V6 Accord, so you have more expensive car after TRD modification" Now, let's count the advantages of having all of those TRD parts covered under Toyota's bumper to bumper 3/36 and 5/60K powertrain warranty. Are Mugen parts on a Honda going to get you 3/36 coverage?

"Accord though is a family car us much more *tuners* car & gives a much better platform to work on than current camry version !! "

Being a Accord owner, I know the current Accord V6 is not all that popular with tuners. Why? Currently the only real available parts are exhaust headers, exhaust systems, intakes. And then of course pullies. ON the suspension side you can get front strut tower brace, sway bars, stiffer lowering springs, and performance shocks.

All these things can also be had on a Camry and Solara. PLUS the Camry and Solara can be had with a TRD supercharger. So, how is the Accord so much more of a tuner car while the Camry isn't?

HKS was never in the market with a turbo kit for the current Accord V6! HKS never even sold the turbo kit publicly. The HKS Turbo Accord V6 had a PROTOTYPE HKS Turbo.

"There are thousands of more modified Accords than the Camry/Solaras." YOu have stats to back this claim up? And what do you consider modified? if you consider stickers, a big wing, lowering springs, some big rims, and some loud exhaust *modified*. Then yes, thousands of more Accord's are modified. If you talk about real modifications to Accord V6s vs. Camry/Solara V6s, then NO. Because I'm pretty sure there are more Camry/SOlara V6s with superchargers on it then Accord V6s with turbo/superchargers.

And since you're soo bent on saying "Why would you start with Camry/Solara platform if you wanted to make it a sportier car ??? " AGain, for the bazillionth time, why would you start with a Accord if you wanted to make a sportier car. After all, the Accord is not that much more sporty than a Camry/Solara. And for that matter, if you wanted a *sporty* it would be much better to actually buy a *sporty* car like a Honda S2000, Toyota Celica, Acura RSX, Acura NSX, BMW 3-series, Audi A4, Lexus IS300, Chevy Camaro. Mitsu Eclipse and so on.

I love you man. You make it just too easy.
    I never said that Accord would be a better starting point than Camry (though it would!) My point is again for the nth time: Why would you like to spend 10,000 on a Camry to make it handle better ? There are MUCH MORE tuner cars out there, like Intergra, Civic (now days focus too)

Even if there are no products currently on accord V6 engine as such there are many modifications as you mentioned & also much more modified accords than Camrys on road.....

Again TRD parts for Camry are almost a joke....(for around 9000-10000)
    "I never said that Accord would be a better starting point than Camry (though it would!)"

You do not even know what you write. You easily implied a bazillion times that the Accord would be a better starting point for a *sporty* car. How many times have you mentioned Mugen, HKS, while trying to tear down TRDs and the TRD Camry's *sporty* credentials?

"My point is again for the nth time: Why would you like to spend 10,000 on a Camry to make it handle better ? There are MUCH MORE tuner cars out there, like Intergra, Civic (now days focus too)" For the 9th time, you don't have a point.

Why spend $10K on mods for a Accord to make it handle better? You seem to have no problem with $10K of mods to make it handle better but you have a problem with $10K for a Camry. ARen't you simply completely biased in favor of Accords.

A tuner car is anything that can be *tuned*. Who made up the rules that specifically list what a *tuner* car is and is not? Do you not see *tuned* Accords? Camry's? Integra's? Civics? Focus's? Lexus GS400s? BMW 5-series? BMW 3-series? Dodge Vipers? Chevy Vettes? Cadillac Cateras? Lincoln LSs? Lincoln Navigators? Cadillac Escalades? Ford Escapes? All of these and many more vehicles can be tuned.

Cars are bought by people based on what their needs are. If they want to simply haul themselves around, they may buy a Integra. If they have a family they may buy a Accord or Camry. That doesn't mean either car can't be *tuned* by it's owners.

"Even if there are no products currently on accord V6 engine as such there are many modifications as you mentioned & also much more modified accords than Camrys on road....."

the first part of that sentence is a complete contradiction. *no products currently on Accord V6 engine as such there are many modifications*. How can there be no products yet many products?

To simply point this out, the only joke is you.
    BTW, you're soo ridiculous. No more posts will be written in response to your redundant posts that are incoherent & contradicting. And just plainly, lack sense.
    BTW, I am thankful for all the information you gave about Vortech, CompTech, HKS, TRD etc.
    I am grateful for all the misinformation you gave out.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Once again, it is possible to disagree with each other agreeably - civil and respectful discourse are required by your Membership Agreement.

So let's just chill.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
  • mrl699mrl699 Member Posts: 6
    I'm looking at the accord LX vs the Camry LE, both with ABS and side airbgs. They price about the same. They're both 4 cylinders. I don't see much difference in the ride or the options. However I have a little concern of the power as time goes on. Both cars seem to have enough power. Both salespersons say you can use a lower gear (automatics) for acceleration and passing. Is this true, especially at higher speeds? I don't understand alot of the technical stuff, but the cars seems pretty similar. Honda also says it proven that their maintenance costs are less than the Toyota. Thanx,
    Lx with Abs & Accord EX theres a difference of around $1100. So my advise would be to get EX if you want Lx with ABS.

About Accord vs Camry buy what you like. Accord is sportier & Camry is softer. Accord 4cyl has better power(150hp vs 136) & interior room. Also all-new Camry will be coming out within a month or so.
    mrl699,

Yes, you can use a lower gear for passing. In the Honda shifting to D3 will get you a lower gear, and in the Toyota Camry, disengaging the "OD"(Overdrive) button on the shift lever will get you a lower gear for passing. Essentially, disengaging the overdrive drops the transmission down one gear from top geat to 3rd gear.

Maintanence costs are about the same between both cars. Don't listen to either's dealer hype. Both cars need essentially the same servicing at similar mileage points.

Honda recommends oil changes at 3750 or 7500 mile intervals, Toyota recommends at 5000 or 7500 miles. 15K service requires the basics, oil change, oil filter change, air filter change, lubing hinges & tire rotation-The dealer usually pads this and 30K services up by doing brake checks, coolant checks, underbody checks, etc. All this stuff is unnecessary though. I'm soon taking my Honda Accord in for it's 15K service, my dealer wants $195+tax for the 15K mile service which includes oil & filter change, air filter change, tire rotation, hinge & lock lube, brake check, coolant check, suspension check. That's a rip-off! and that is way more than needs to be done.

Ultimately, at max, the 15K service should cost only about $100-on both cars-that would include oil & filter change, tire rotation air filter, maybe wiper blades, & lubing hinges & locks.

And oil changes for both these cars is the typical $20 to $25 at any Honda or Toyota dealer.

As for the cars themselves. The Honda has it's advantages and so does the Toyota.

Honda 4-cylinder sedan pros:
    -4-cyl. is slightly more powerful-meaning better acceleration.
    -suspension is slightly firmer-which leads to better handling but also a firmer ride.
    -more interior room, mostly back seat room. trunk is also larger.
    -Honda has a easy pricing setup.
    -Honda looks better inside & out, IMO.
    -Accord will maintain it's resale value slightly better.

Toyota 4-cylinder Sedan pros:
    -suspension is tuned more for comfort & luxury and less for handling.
    -Camry transmission is better. Smoother shifting & more refined.
    -The overall quality of the car is better.
    -Camry is quieter.
    -slightly better safety ratings.
  • mmeolammeola Member Posts: 2
    I would love some advice from the experts...looking at buying our first car! Between the 2001s which (in the V-6) would have the best performance and the the most reliable in a snowy, mountainous environment? Since the soon-to-be-purchase will be our only car for the winter. Thanks in advance!
  • badtoybadtoy Member Posts: 343
    Love you, man -- you drive EXACTLY the same model and year as sobers, but you tell it like it is -- not like you wish it would be.

As a Toyota enthusiast, let me chime in here -- not to get that whole argument started again, but to add a little different perspective and maybe put the whole matter to rest.

1 - Neither the Accord nor the Camry were designed as performance vehicles. They are both designed as family cars, and they do fabulously well at their intended mission -- which is why they're number 1 and 2 in sales in the US, and have been for years.

2 - Those who need a larger, four-door car than a Civic or Corolla and want the quality, reliability and mechanical stoutness of a Honda or Toyota but want something with a little more power and pizzazz really have no other choice than to buy an Accord or Camry and customize it. It's not ideal, but everything in life is a compromise.

3 - While you can take ANY car to a tuner shop and turbo it, supercharge it, build an all-motor monster or whatever, you will be spending LOTS of money, taking a real risk in terms of reliability and driveability, and you automatically void your factory warranty. Don't even THINK about emmissions testing -- in California, you will fail, meaning that you will have to install another motor in your car just to get your car smogged and registered -- then swap your other motor back. Not cheap and not fun, and you will have to do this every two years. TRD parts (Sport Parts, not Kazuma parts) are factory warranted, CARB certified and thoroughly tested for reliability and driveability. That's the attraction of a factory-engineered system vs aftermarket, wonderful though many aftermarket systems may be.

4 - Price. Once again, if you only want a Honda or Toyota, you have to start with what's available. With a Camry, I'd start with a CE V6 with 5-speed (although the 5-speed is now offered only on the mid-grade model), put my own custom wheels on it, TRD suspension and supercharger, and keep the price at about $25-27k -- not bad, for a family car that will suck the doors off a Mustang and still give you decent milege and driveability. If Honda were to offer something similar in-house, I have no doubt it would be every bit as fast and as driveable. Unfortunately, they don't.

5 - Styling. Always a personal choice, but I much prefer the Camry. Many others prefer the Accord. God bless America!
  • black_tulipblack_tulip Member Posts: 435
    You forgot to mention Camry has a better visibility :)
    Jokes aside, very well done comparison.
  • breckcobreckco Member Posts: 62
    mmeola,

Thought I'd chime in. I had a 98 Camry V6 and it was great. If you get one be certain to get traction control due to slippery conditions. The Camry's power would be great for the "70" up to Summit County. I can't help but make another recommendation to you - A Subaru Outback. Much more appropriate in my opinion. All wheel drive, ABS, 4 wheel disks, all weather package, etc... and while not quite up to the Honda/Toyota level of refinement and reliability, Subaru's are safe and well built and designed.
    Funny thing is we got rid of the Camry and bought an Outback planning a move to Colorado. The move didn't happen so we have the Outback in San Diego of all places. It is great when we go to the local mountains and for reaching trailheads. It scores great in crash testing.
    Just a thought. Sorry for the off-topic.

Live Happy,

Chris
    Just want to add that 2001 Accord has dual stage advanced air bags & ripinrocket forgot to add that Accord has much better visbility !! :))
    Oops. Forgot to mention a Camry plus: better visibility.
  • foregoodforegood Member Posts: 2
    Last fall my wife and I were shopping for a car. Since we were used to driving many different BMW's for the last few years we considered sportier cars, specifically Audi A4 and Passat. Our friend was out there shopping too, and we decided to join her for a tour of nearby dealers. She was interested in a larger 4 door, V-6 equiped sedan. We test drove Camry, Accord, Maxima and Passat, all with 6 cyl engines. What we found was:

1. Passat; nice but expensive
    2. Maxima; loud, quirky and expensive
    3. Accord; good engine, nice touches inside (some chrome pieces and accents), sunroof, leather BUT seemed to have less interior room than Camry, choppy ride (LA freeways are bumpy), wierd feeling from the passenger seat (almost like being to close to the front of the car), colors were not attractive, no outside temperature readout, rather loud, no CD/tape combo.
    4. Camry; good engine, cushy ride, quiet, both CD & tape BUT a little bland, little too soft, no sunroof (LE V6).

After taking into consideration our freeways, and bumpy rides in BMW's and test driven Accord, we settled on a Camry. We really like the quietness and comfort but, I must admit, I'm shopping for wheel/tire upgrade to get a little more feel from the road and better straight line touch on the steering wheel.
    But yes Honda colors has always been a down side. To keep costs low they don't offer to many colors I guess. Even current 4 dr civic does not have chery red(or dark red) color available & then they have some colors on Lx & some on Ex(sort of weired I think)
    Ah, come on. Bring it back up.
    now we have new camry to talk about....
    Weird thing about 2002 Accord, they have SE for 2002 just like 2000 ! But instead of ABS they now have Sunroof on it !! Invoiced around 18700 (don't know whether destinaiton is included in this)
  • maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    What else does this Accord "SE" have. Is it sort of like the SE models from previous times, a LX with a sunroof?
  • venus537venus537 Member Posts: 1,443
    Is it true, there's going to be a special edition LX V6 model? Now that sounds interesting.
    But 4 cyl SE is available both on sedan & coupe.
    Sedan: Black Silver Red/White(?)
    Coupe : White/Black

Exact same equipement as 2000 SE
    (alloys, cassette+CD, Keyless/Truck/Security, fake wood, mats etc)

I don't think SE is on V6 models....but the prices are up across the board ? Which is very strange !
    I read the below text from Honda's VTEC page:

"LX SPECIAL EDITION:keyless entry and security, heated seats, power sunroof, wood print trim, cassette/single CD unit, leather wrapped steering wheel (our LX models comes with the VTEC engines, alloys and ABS)
    -anticipating a $1000 to $1500 increase in MSRP

LX V6 4DR SPECIAL EDTION:same as above with alloy wheels"

The heated seats tells me this for the Canadians but the rest should be the same for the U.S. So there's still some hope that Honda may come out with a SE for the LX V6.
    This is info from my salesperson at the loacal dealer : THE SPECIAL EDTION IS A LX ACCORD , WITH THE FOLLOWING:
    * MOONROOF
    * 15" ALLOY WHEELS
    * AM/FM/CASS/CD PLAYER
    * KEYLESS ENTRY
    * SECURITY SYSTEM
    * DRIVERS POWER HEIGHT ADJUSTMENT
    * WOOD GRAIN INTERIOR TRIM ( SEDANS ONLY)
    * SILVER METALLIC ACCENT TRIM (COUPES ONLY)
    * FRONT AND REAR FLOOR MATS
    * SEDAN COLORS : RED,SILVER,BLACK
    * COUPE COLORS: WHITE AND BLACK

PRICE IS AT MSRP IS $20,850. PLUS DESTINATION $440.00
  • 2scottyboy2scottyboy Member Posts: 4
    Oh, boy a special edition Accord 4-cylinder!

Yeepee
  • lugwrenchlugwrench Member Posts: 213
    To bad that they don't provide a CD player with this package? But hey, they are throwing in floor mats which is a nice touch.

Need to paint the lower side moldings like the EX's. That would be nice also.
    Why would they add a CD player to the package when it's standard on the normal LX.
  • fw1fw1 Member Posts: 4
    Guys,

Did anyone have seen the Camry yet? It's posted on the Toyota for about a week already.

I saw two on the road yesterday, I do like the redesigned taillight but come to the new head light... it's not my type! Apparently, they are trying to make it sportier than the previous and thinking that will help them to get more younger buyers. But definitely I won't get one until they change their "Ford - Focus liked" headlight.

As far as the exterior is concerned, I used to like the 2001 Camry more than 2001 Honda but now I would prefer the 2001 Honda rather the 2002 Camry!
  • 2scottyboy2scottyboy Member Posts: 4
    Huh? The 2001 Camry was fugly. The 2002 Camry is n-i-c-e. Although the Accord is n-i-c-e also.

But the Camry's got more features. Nav system, brake assist, VSC, side curtain airbags available.
  • timtrantimtran Member Posts: 29
    I got a Honda Accord EX V-6, and I got a Toyota Camry XLE V-6. I am happy with both cars. What is the point of trying to prove which car is better? You just have to alternate them, depending on your mood of that morning.
    How did this eternal debate manage to go dormant long enough to put itself in the archives?!

No matter - it's back to stay, so let's go for some more rounds! :-)

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
    "How did this eternal debate manage to go dormant long enough to put itself in the archives?!"

Easy. It was in the "comparison" board. No offense, but that is as good as archived.
    I hear you.

But did you notice we followed through with your suggestion and got this board listed separately in the drop-down box?

And also we've put a link to this board at the top of the main Sedans board.

Posting here HAS picked up here since we did that. Thanks for your thoughts.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
    Yes, I noticed the link and I think traffic is beginning to pick up here. I was just being facetious!
  • vchengvcheng Member Posts: 1,284
    2000 Toyota Camry XLE V6

30K summary

Miles Covered: 29,927
    Running Cost : $3,062.24
    Running Cost per mile: 10.23 cents

Gas consumed: 1274.64 Gallons
    Cost of Gas: $2,052.37
    Average Economy: 23.5 MPG
    Best: 30.2 MPG
    Worst: 16.8 MPG

Maintenance Cost: $720.98
    Maintenance Cost per mile: 2.4 cents

Gas Cost: $2052.37
    Gas Cost per mile: 6.85 cents

Miscellaneous costs: 0.98 cents per mile

(Still working on Total Cost of Ownership with depreciation and insurance)
  • fredvhfredvh Member Posts: 857
    Edmunds has a new feature called "True Cost To Own". It is listed when one researches out the various vehicles on the new car heading. It is one of the 13 subjects when you click on a particular vehicle. It is very useful when comparing one vehicle to another. "True Cost To Own" takes the purchase price and adds things like depreciation, insurance, license fees, etc. and gives you a figure for 5-yr ownership. They even tailor it to your particular zip code. I tried it on a few vehicles and it is very useful.
  • jomiwijomiwi Member Posts: 2
    Consumer Guide:
    V-6 EX : 7.6 s
    Camry V6: 8.3 s

Motor Trend:
    V-6 EX : 7.4 s
    Camry SE V6: 8.0 s

Saw a copy of Car and Driver in the doctor's office today where they compare various sedans.
    Both the Accord LX V6 and the Camry V6 were low-mid 8's in 0-60 time. Slower times than above, and both sources above say the Accord is faster.
    Is the LX V6 slower than the EX V6(seems unlikely)or is C&D's time inaccurate?
  • hondacarehondacare Member Posts: 3
    Now understand that I am biased. I am a sales manager for a Honda dealership. Do not take my word for it. Do the research yourself. I have seen several cases of this sludge problem in the past month.

I used yahoo and performed the following search:
    toyota sludge oil

The sludge issue involves all Toyotas 4 and 6 cylinder. The only vehicle not affected is the Sequoia.
  • th83th83 Member Posts: 164
    I was wondering the same thing when I compared Motor Trend's test with C/D's. The 0-60 times in the Car and Driver comparison were quite a bit slower than the numbers MT recorded.

Accord: Motor Trend-7.4, Car and Driver-8.3
    Altima: Motor Trend-6.6, Car and Driver-7.3
    Camry: Motor Trend-8.0, Car and Driver-8.2
    Impala: Motor Trend-7.7, Car and Driver-8.6
    Taurus: Motor Trend-8.1, Car and Driver-8.9

Maybe different weather had something to do with the time differences. The C/D test was conducted in the winter whereas the MT test was done in the spring. That must be it because there is no way the V6 Accord is only .9 seconds quicker 0-90 than the 4 cylinder automatic(18.8 versus 19.7).