Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chevy Express/GMC Savana

Comments

• chapin1chapin1 Member Posts: 1
    my trouble is that my van will start and run for 2 seconds then die,i got a scanner and it says "pass" no codes what could it be?
  • catladycatlady Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone with 2004 GMC Savana Van experienced extreme vibration and shaking with loss of power while driving on highway at 60 to 70 mph? Shaking may continue for 5 minutes, as we always try to pull off when condition occurs. After we shut down , we can then resume trip and vibration may not occur for 20 miles or maybe 800 miles. Dealerships have not been able to find problem.
    If anyone has any info on this I would appreciate to hear from them.
  • garandmangarandman Member Posts: 524
    I'm looking at special ordering an 06 1500 van with both side doors, tilt/cruise, power locks, and limited slip. We'll use it to transport two people and up to 1,000 lbs of gear throughout New England. The dealer (Dobles Chevrolet commercial trucks) was much more knowledgable and responsive to my questions than the local Ford dealer - AutoFair.

The dealer suggest that the standard 4.3l V6 will deliver much better mileage than the optional 5.3 - the 1500 has 4.3 or 5.3 versus the 4.8 on the 2500. Rear axle ratio is 3.42, which should be good for mileage.

I have two questions. 1. Will the 4.3 give substantially better mileage than the V8? My experience is that oerworked engines can get lower mpg, and we will be traversing the hills in VT and elsewhere. 2. Will the 4.3 hold up? We'll drive it 20-25,000 miles per year.
    Dealer can't guarantee any financing or prociing promotions if I order a vehicle. Anyone have their finger in the air about what propmtions would be in place on an ordered 06 van? Ford has their 06 Econoline promos up for August already.
  • rgaughanrgaughan Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone,

Has anyone had a similar problem? $2600 (dealer) is a steep price for such a short period. Is GM any help? Any luck with AAMCO?

2000 Express 1500 Mark III conversion. Purchased 2001.

Thank you. :sick:
  • fornarogfornarog Member Posts: 3
    Hello, I am new to this forum and to Chevy

I Just purchased a new 2005 3500 express extended passenger van with the 6.0 ltr and 3.73 rear end.

What style of mirrors are wobbling after adding a bug deflector as I want to add one to the van?

I am also looking for fender flares and want to know if the body on the 2005 is the same as any previous years.

Thanks,

Greg
  • gaspoor1gaspoor1 Member Posts: 9
    Hi, I have a2001 express 3500 cutaway with the 8.1 liter option for a motorhome. This is the best engine and ride I ever had. Get 10 mpg which in a 12,000 pound unit is fantastic. It also has incredible power. My question? Why did they stop offering this engine after 2002 in the van? Does anyone know?
    Just bought our 2005 express 3500 extended passenger van and we are excited about it. I have a couple of questions though and would appreciate any help:

1) Is it pre-wired to hook up a brake controller?
    2) Any recommendations on adding an extra transmission cooler?
    3) How is it different than earlier years (body, engine, etc) - useful in looking for aftermarket accessories?
    4) Any problems if I add a bug shield?
    5) Anyone ever put fender flares on one and where did you find them?

Thanks!

Greg
    Hi!

What kind of cooler did you add, and what kind of place does that work?

Thanks,

Greg
  • eliaselias Member Posts: 2,209
    anyone heard anything recent about savana/express duramax? there was a press release about it months ago but i read a recent article wihch didn't mention the duramax engine option .
    I was at the dealer last week and apparently they're having trouble fitting a transmission in that will handle the torque of the Isuzu.
  • stackstack Member Posts: 3
    I have an '03 with power heated mirrors (no turn signal) and they wobbled after about six months...and thats without a bug deflector! :mad: Good luck with yours...hope you bought the extended wty. Have had many problems with our 2003 6.0L 2500 12 passenger....the really expensive ones started happening after 36K miles
  • kpruskikpruski Member Posts: 2
    I have a 99 Chev Express Van and noticed that at about 25+ mph I hear a noise and experience vibrations very similar to having mud/snow tires on the vehicle. The problem is I have very quiet radial tires. This is a new noise on the van. I do not know if it is related to the transmission or something to do with the front or rear end. It definitely has nothing to do with the engine. If you coast (put it in neutral and turn off the engine), the noise and vibration is just as apparent. If you take a decent right turn curve at about 40+ mph the noise and vibration disappears. The vibration or noise does not increase or decrease under load. I do have 150,000 miles on this vehicle so everything could be suspect. Does anyone have any clues?
    Today we bought an Express Cargo 2500 with tilt/cruise, window glass and cloth seats. Paid $20,500 with the $1,000 rebate, pretty tought to beat. We have an older Ford Econoline and the ride and handling on this one is much better. I'm crious about what we'll get for MPG with the 4.8l V8 and 3.73 axle versus the Ford 5.8 and 3.73 rear axle.
    We got the standard AM/FM/Single CD radio

1. Any good way to connect MP3 players?
    2. The radio supports 4 speakers, is the wiring in place for the rear speakers?

TIA
  • tankmechanictankmechanic Member Posts: 1
    my 2001 Express has been nothing but trouble since we got it, now the silly thing has 91K miles on it, easy miles I would ask, and the stupid thing is leaking radiator fluid from seems to be the intake manifold on the driver's side, anyone know if this was covered by a recall that I missed, or by any other warranty?
    Mechanic said it will take about $1,000 to fix it, then the other side will do it's thing sometime soon, claims that this is a manufactered defect. :lemon:
  • teresabutlerteresabutler Member Posts: 3
    Hi, I know when your are parked you can push your emergency brake down and they will go off, sorry not much help for while driving. I would do the fuse thing. I do not see why it is illegable to not have them on, there are alot of cars that do not have daytime driving lights. :)
    Hi, we have a 97 chevy not gmc, we have had to replace the fuel pump, very costly luckily we had a extended warranty, air conditioner compressor. Alternator ,drive belt. other than that not to bad. :)
    I would go with the 2500 and the 5.7 if you can still get them. they are power houses and can stand the hills with no problem. My experience with V6's have never been good, dogs to say the least. the 1500 probably will drop down in the rear with 1000 pounds of gear. Just my opinion, because i have a 1500 and it starts to drop down in the back with a few hundred pounds in the back. and with two three year olds. :)
  • ghostrider84ghostrider84 Member Posts: 3
    My 2000 GMC Savana with a 7.4L motor has delayed starting that is intermitting. It happens sometimes at first starting or after its warm it is verry inconsistant. It also starts at the first turn over. It has 145000 miles, I have just tuned it up including a new ign coil, cap, rotor, wires, plugs, Is there something that will delay the starting if there is low oil pressure or what. It has great oil pressure. I have replaced the fuel pump, filter and just about anything that I can. Can you help.
  • neanderthalneanderthal Member Posts: 1
    I'll just relate my feelings on Express Vans. I'm an extremely experienced
    mechanic, with mega experience as an automobile enthusiest to the highest
    degree. I eat, sleep and live cars. I just recently bought a 1999 Express Van
    conversion vehicle by the now defunked Gaval Conversion Company.
    As much as I like Chevys and GM vehicles, I must say that I'm NOT
    impressed by the Express Van nor the work done by Gaval. I still
    can't believe that after GM got it's [non-permissible content removed] handed to them by the foreign
    auto makers, that they still don't get it,...and still don't know how to
    make a good car. I agree that Chevy has the most dependable, long
    lasting motors, but let me just say that GM nickels and dimes you to
    death with all this poorly thought-out stuff. Like for example:

The covering on the steering wheel is peeling! Don't they realize that
    people HAVE to touch that part alot? Just touching, is making the
    top coating come off! How lame is that?

The black paint on the wipers is peeling! Why? Poor finishing technics.
    Don't they realize that that part is going to face strong winds? Sure they
    do! It should have been finished better.

The stupid door handle/ armrest thing. Why are all the Express armrest
    coming off of the darn doors? Not much thought put into the how much
    strength the material used there would need to be. A door handle has to
    be able to endure alot of use. It should not fail so quickly.

Nearly everyone has complained that the radio clock does NOT keep
    the proper time. Why? Is it that hard to get these thing straight? They
    sometimes have ten years of the exact same model carried over and
    all the stupid defects get carried along too!

My Gas gage seems to do this funky vibration thing ONLY when the
    fuel pump motor is spinning. In ACC it doesn't vibrate.

This vehicle and it's counterpart the Savanna are reminicent of the poor
    quality vehicles that GM was producing in the late 70s thru to the 80s!
    The same poor quality that made it so easy for the Japanese car makers
    to take the lead.

Either GM still does not understand the basics, or this is just another
    example of built-in obsolesence. I must be just too bias to buy other
    vehicles, because even with all these faults I still buy GM. Maybe
    I shouldn't enable them any longer?
    Neanderthal
  • onalaskaonalaska Member Posts: 21
    I have both a 2003 and a 2005 GMC Savanah in my business. The 2003 has about 37,000 miles on it now. They are both the 2500 series with the 6L engine and are rock solid so far. No repairs no complaints. Maybe that will change with age, but I will most likely be buying another van next year and so far I don't see anything out there that better meets my needs. I did look at the Sprinter van briefly, but it's hard to justify the additional $10k for my application.
  • stevesrt8stevesrt8 Member Posts: 33
    we own multiple 3500 long wheelbase work vans and have found them to be extremely efficient and reliable. Our favorite one is a 2000 Savana with 101,000 all city miles and over 4000 hours of stationary operation at 1700 rpm (equivalent to 50 mph!). This vehicle has original engine with ALL accessories, orig. trans, etc. It's repair history is a fuel pump and periodic brake work. These vans all weigh out at 8800 to 9200 lbs. every single day and are absolutely the hardest working trucks imaginable. I cannot see us buying anything else as we have never had any other brand do as well. I have been repairing cars/trucks for over 35 years and generally find that all brands have some poor examples out there that get all the attention while the majority are probably ok.
  • kpruskikpruski Member Posts: 2
    I was suspecting that it might be my bearings and it turned out to be my bearings. Odd thing is that I just had them replaced a month or so ago.
  • mikebc780mikebc780 Member Posts: 6
    Re: DRL (daytime running lights) mine in my 2003 Chevy 2500 Express are staying on, even when the ign. is off, key out.. default switch switch has no effect. This obv. drains the battery big time. In the 2003 model, the fuses 19 and 20 in eng. compartment, can be pulled, but you also lose the front turn signals..pulling the lamp bulbs also is a fix, but the same filiment is used for the turn signals, as the drl... I'll re-post fix, as I have ext. warr. and it goes to dealer in AM...one serv. mgr. suspects the main light module switch on dash is bad...$78 part! cm
  • virtualelvisvirtualelvis Member Posts: 1
    What things can I change myself to keep my Savana running properly.. I've changed spark plugs wires, airfilter.. are there sensors or anything else that i can do myself at the 60,000 mile mark? I've done the rear end and the transmission fluid. I'm going to try to do the power steering fluid.
    Also.. when braking hard.. something is wrong.. the steering wheel starts shaking from left to right.. I'm not sure where to start.. if it's ABS or something else.. thanks Dwight
  • mikebc780mikebc780 Member Posts: 6
    Yes, I tried the brake thing, no effect they still stayed on. The removal of fuses also took out the turn signals, so, It went to the dealer for three days and $433.00 later they fixed it, here's the story: "checked and found code for B-2600 found short to ground in the BCM wiring and the day time running lights module was overheated due to the day time running lights staying on. Repaired short to ground circuit 592 to BCM and replaced overheated day time running lights module."
    Seemed strange to me that the module would overheat because they were on....they are designed to be on all the time unless you use the switch to turn 'em off.
    I called factory for help, they said "sorry" My extended care warranty preferred plan (from Complete Care) did not cover this problem either.
    Overall not a pleasant experience for a vehicle under three years old, but just out of mileage warranty (48 K mi.)
    Probably my last GM...have had weird electrical prob. with previous GM.
  • cargovancargovan Member Posts: 10
    I recently purchased 2002 Chevy Express Extended 3500 cargo van.The engine size is 5.7L 350 engine. It has 92,000 miles on it. After putting about 1300 miles on the check light came on. I made several attempts to have the check engine light turned off, but still it still comes on. My mechanic said it has a small bubble in the tube system. In order to check the bubble' s location only the dealer has this system. This code scanner cost about 20,000 thousand dollars. Does anyone know about this sort of thing? Can anyone help? Does know where might this bubble be? Has this thing happen to anyone before?
  • onalaskaonalaska Member Posts: 21
    I think I would find another mechanic. It sounds like your mechanic does not know much about your van. You can have the codes read at any Auto Zone parts store for free. Scanners start at under $400 if you want to buy one, but you need a trained mechanic to interpert the trouble codes and replace the correct parts.
  • mjh7550mjh7550 Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2001 Express (8.1L) that will not start unless I pull out the ECM-B fuse and reseat it ... then sometimes it runs for a minute and stops. What is the PCM/VCM and is it a module or relay and where is it ? The fuel pump works and so does the engine oil pressure. My SES light is on now too. Thanks.
  • jfredettejfredette Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2005 Chevy Express 12 passenger van ... I would like to move the back 4-person seat forward about two inches to make a little extra room in the back to fit my son's wheelchair (without having to disassemble the wheelchair)

Or can you move the 4-person seat froward and remove one of the 3 person seats?
    As far as moving or installing seats, I had to go to a conversion van company as apparently you have to be federally licensed to install seating. At least, no onw would touch it other than them.
  • klandyklandy Member Posts: 1
    Hello all! Forgive me for sounding stupid but I just can't figure out how much I can haul? I went to the chevy web site but all I found was figures for 2005 models with VORTEC engines. And I have no idea what a vortec engine is compaired to what is in mine. all I know is that I have a 2004 Express Work Van (HD) with a 4.8L V8 engine - 4 speed HD Auto Transmission. Regular RW drive. Can someone help me translate that to either the the VORTEC 4800 V8, VORTEC 6000 V8 or none of the above.

Also, last but not least ... on the GCWR is the weight of the van to be included in that?

Thanks for reading and I look forward to some thoughts and ideas.
  • kurtshollykurtsholly Member Posts: 1
    Your engine is a VORTEC. 4.8 litre is the same as 4800, so you have the VORTEC 4800 V8. All of the GM motors in the trucks are VORTEC motors.

Yes, GCWR includes the weight of the vehicle and the passengers and cargo.
  • miltruckmanmiltruckman Member Posts: 2
    Hi Greg. Ever find fender flares? I am still looking for some, for my 2003 Express.

Bill
  • bcmalibu99lsbcmalibu99ls Member Posts: 625
    Sounds like you may have warped rotors. They usually cause steering wheel vibration when braking hard. Have your rotors checked and turned, if necessary. In any case, don't wait too long before checking that shaking thing, who knows what it is
  • alonelydudealonelydude Member Posts: 2
    My van wont stay align is this due to worn out tie rods, bent tie rods or worn ball joints?
  • alonelydudealonelydude Member Posts: 2
    i replaced my front pads with ceramic pads. Have gone 20000 miles with then and no visible wear yet...............they cost a little more but are worth it...........
  • lmfexpresslmfexpress Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Chevy Express van 3500. It came with the heavy duty towing package from the dealer. Im going to have to tow my car soon and im looking into how install a electrical brake controller, I located all the wires in the rear of the car for the 7 prong connector, and i know how to install that, the only problem im having is with the electrical brake controller you put under the dash, there are 3 thick wires that run up the side of the car and they end up underneath the hood, there are 3 wires and one fuse,
    Blue wire, Red wire, and white.
    Ive looked into this but havent been able to find how to exactly wire up the electrical brake controller, ive seen websites showing there is a location already inside all you have to do is plug into it, but i dont think that will work in my situation. If anyone has any experience in doing this please help me out cause im kind of lost thanks alot.
  • gdillongdillon Member Posts: 1
    We are also trying to get a knowledgable opinion about the 2006 Chevy Van Duramax/nonAllison transmission. Can't decide whether to buy the 6000 vortex or the diesel. We tow about 7000 lb. horse trailer with our 97 van (5700 vortec) which doesn't have enough power. Should we be risk-takers and go with the new diesel combo or stick with gas?
  • djl_familydjl_family Member Posts: 2
    Added bonus is that you will notice no black brake soot on your rims - the ceramic dust doesn't stick! No more messy crap!
  • djl_familydjl_family Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know if the 1500 has the hardware (plates, bolt holes etc) to install a rear bench to upgrade it from 8 passenger to 12? I've a bunch of kids, so the weight isn't an issue. The 2500 is a 135" wheelbase too, so the space is available. I'd hope to buy a 1500, go to the scrap yard and pick up a 4 up bench .... but if there's no hardware I don't want to be the one installing it.
  • blazin272blazin272 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2006 Express 2500HD Duramax, it has all kinds of low end grunt. Mine stays packed full with tools, carpenter, and has never bogged down yet.
  • kwilliskwillis Member Posts: 1
    8.1 vortec gas motor somewhere in the range of 450 # torqe at 2800 rpm doesnt even know its pulling a trailor. Ken 2002 savana 3500 ext, 155" A pulling monster. P.S. deisels stink. LOL
  • pfiumepfiume Member Posts: 1
    Hey there all, I hope some can help me with my 97 Savana 2500
    all the brake lights work fine until I turn on the head lights then all the brake lights stop working. Any thoughts?? If you could help please let me cknow, I realy don't want to get hosed at the dealership, Thanks Paul
  • lana2lana2 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 99 I bought with 4k on it and as long as you have sand bags in the back and a good set of studded tires it works great.But you'll spend a lot in upkeep!I found out the hard way at around 85k you have to replace the transmission and at 150k peplace the radiator.At the shop they say all the 1500's are like this.
  • lana2lana2 Member Posts: 2
    For two years my right signal blinks really fast,and when I turn on nite time driving lites the left signal won't work at all! Then I had to pull the fuse for the interior lites or else they stayed on 24/7.Now all of a sudden when I apply the brake & turn signal at the same time the dashbord lites flicker?It's a 99 Express cargo van 6 cyl.I've had it in the shop several times over the years and they've replaced several things and nothing works.Now they want to replace all the wiring and says it will cost $ 500.00!Any help out there?
  • sheepheadsheephead Member Posts: 1
    I have a 97 GMC Savana van with a 350 vortec engine.I
    ' never had any problems with it until one day it just wouldn't start.I've narrowed it down to no fire to the fuel pump.I replaced the fuel pump relay and the wiring seems to be in good shape.I was told that the oil pressure sending unit would cause the ecm not to send the needed fire to operate the fuel pump.This would happen if the oil pressure was dangerously low to eliminate engine damage.I have good oil pressure and i dont know what else to check or replace? Any advice would really be appreciated.Thank You very much.
    '
  • slisticanslistican Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I've looked on the internet for the interior dimensions of a 1993 chevy sportvan. I can't seem to find them. I need to know because I will be driving 7 hours in one to pick up a tv that is 55"x57"x25". I need to know if it will fit. If you can help me find a place that has the dimensions or just simply tell me whether or not it will fit, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks, Austin.
  • cheney3cheney3 Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I have a 99 express and hade the same thins happen with the lights. It turned out to be trailer lights need to be hooked up different than normal. U-haul fixed mine. Good-luck