Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Oldsmobile Alero

Comments

• dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    We have decided we will likely be buying/leasing an Alero GX sedan. They are letting us out of our lease early and offering an C$1000 upgrade credit from the Cav to the Alero. Financing is 1.9% for 60 months or 36 month lease for 2.4%. Pretty hard to say no to that so we decided to wait a while longer for an SUV or wagon.

More for the Canadian owners, how much were you able to negotiate off your cars? List is about C$21500 and they have a special on with free automatic and power driver's seat.
  • jpelderjpelder Member Posts: 235
    Congrats on the decision. My wife and I love our 02 GX sedan. We chose the 5 speed/sport package, and it is fantastic...much better than anything else we looked at.

Have fun. Did you pick a color yet?
  • regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    why not get an L series?

Tough choice between the Alero and L, both decent cars.
    jpelder : I'm thinking polo green or the dark red. Our Intrigue is gray so that's out.

regfootball : I like the L-series, but my wife doesn't care for it much. With the Alero, we also get $1000 upgrade and an extra $750 on my Oldsmobile credit which is hard to pass up.
  • jpelderjpelder Member Posts: 235
    We think Alike. I like the polo green, but it is not available in the GX model. I'm not sure if that's also the case in Canada, but I bet it is. The GX only comes with Pewter interior, so they will not match pewter interior with Polo Green exterior.

THe Ruby Red is also very nice. My dad insists he is getting an alero in the bright red color.

I too like the L-series, especially with the special edition packages. The downside is that the 5 speed is unavailble in the L100 special edition and they wouldn't take my 3200 GM points.

I is my understanding that GM card points can be used in Canada.
  • rdeschenerdeschene Member Posts: 331
    Well good luck on your shopping. I was also trying to decide between the L-series Saturn and the Alero last summer. I ended up getting the Alero - nicer styling in my opinion, and we were shopping used and I wasn't sure I wanted to buy a used L-series in its first model year. Actually, I'm not wild of buying a used ANYTHING in its first model year.

Plus, if you've ever done a price comparison on 1 year old Alero's vs. L-series, you'd see that the Alero's about $3000 cheaper for the same equipment, but most of the L's are sold by Saturn dealers, so there might be something going on there.
    jpelder : Polo green is available on all models here. They have a polo green one on the local lot. Lucky me I guess. L-series is nice, but the additional credits make the Alero a much better deal. 5-speed is available on the L100 here, but I would get an auto anyway.

rdeschene : I agree, the Alero styling is better overall. The L-series is a little bigger though which would be nice. Oh well. How much of a discount did you get from your dealer? Which model do you have again?
  • cpwingnutcpwingnut Member Posts: 49
    I bought my GL Alero 2 months ago with auto, Sport package(16" rims, upgraded suspension, 200w monsoon stereo, fog lights and spoiler) plus the cd/cass combo and 6 way power seat for $23296. Thats about $2400 off the msrp of $25680. So you should be able to get between 7-9% off the msrp of the GX.

I priced the GX also before deciding on the GL so FYI, the GX dealer list is $19343 + $934 for the automatic and $91 for the power seat. And in case the dealer doesn't mention it there is a $500 credit for the 2.2 ecotec engine(code L61). This brings the total dealer cost of a GX w/ auto, Frght, Air tax, Gas tax and Admin fee to $21316. So if you tack on the 4% markup the final cost should be no more than $22121 + tax.

If your dealer cant beat that then let me know and I can send you all the printouts I have from my dealer. If you have the extra $2000 though I would recommend the GL. For $2000 you get what I listed above in the sport package (or you could take the comfort package which includes the 6way power seat but w/o the spoiler)plus pwr windows, mirrors, keyless entry, and upgraded power steering. Well worth it in my opinion.

You also mentioned you had an Intrigue. If you bought it in or before 2000 you should have gotten an Olds Loyalty Credit good for $2000 off your next Olds purchase(or $1250 on any other GM make) I used one to get My Alero. And they let me combine it with my GM Card points too. I drove away with the car for $24000 inc. Tax

Let me know how things turn out. Good luck
    You are a wealth of information! Thank you.

The power seat and automatic seem to be thrown in for free by GM as the cash price listed is $19998 after a $1500 cash credit. I'm guessing I should be able to get the car for $21K (incl freight and air tax). On top of that I indeed have $2000 Olds credit and $1000 upgrade credit from the Cavalier.

We are going for the GX as it's a second car and we will likely be having another child in a year or two and don't want to be over extended while my wife is on mat leave. Our Intrigue has been fabulous and I am more than happy to buy one last Oldsmobile before they are gone.
    (BTW, this is the Mrs. replying.)

Ours is a 2000 GLS. I don't believe we got any kind of discount, per se. We bought it back in August. The dealer was offering it for $16,900 Canadian, which was the lowest price we'd seen. We were also looking at a Malibu and Grand Am, but liked the Alero best, so that's what we got.

The sad thing was a few months later, I saw an ad for the same dealer offering five 2001 Aleros for about $1,000 less than what we paid for ours. Oh, well. We're happy with our car.
    That seems like a good deal but with the cash credit you can't get the 0.9% financing. Remember, you never get things for free. They just play with the numbers to make it look that way. You are still paying the advertised price!

I financed mine through GMAC for 4 years and am paying a total of $444 in interest. Thats compared to over $4000 @8% through the bank.

As for the GX at the price I gave you it would be $22121 + $3318 tax = $25439 - $3000 discounts = $22439 @ 0.9% = $414 interest for a total cost of $22853.76

At the advertised price of $21200 + $3180 tax - $3000 discount = $21380 @ 7.5% = $3435 interest for a total cost of $24815. a difference of $1962.

As for the $1000 Cavalier upgrade, I'm not sure but it may only be available with a cash purchase so that would put your savings at only $962 if you finance it. But thats still lower than the price you quoted.

These figures are based on a 4 year loan with a lower than average bank rate (maybe you can get it lower). I hate to sound like I'm preaching but I just want you to get the best deal you can. The more ammo you have when you go to make the deal the better. Beleive me, I did a lot of number crunching before I bought my Alero. You cant beat the low financing rate!!!
    I realize you can't get the cash credit and the 0.9% financing. The cash price + cash credit comes to $21500 (list price of the GX) so it would appear the automatic and power seat are thrown in for nothing.

Check it out..

http://www.gmcanada.com/NASApp/offersearch/OfferDetailsServlet?oid=25906&lang=en&pc=L6M2Z6&f=3&showminimal=&showOnly=

$1000 upgrade credit is for lease or cash purchase. Doesn't matter how we buy. We have a $3000 down payment for nothing basically.
    I see how it seems like its free compared to the MSRP, but thats the advertised special. My whole point is that you can negotiate a price about $1000 more than the cash special price and still get the 0.9% financing saving you $2000. Thats all I was saying.
    So you think about $21000 +frt is the best I can do with the financing?

The advertised specials are hard to understand. I am going to try for $21000 freight in, though my wife now thinks we should go for a GL.

Ugg!
    We are in the same situation(trying for kids) and the advertised special on the GX is what attracted me to the Alero in the first place too, but when I compared the numbers, I could get a lot more car with the GL for only $40 more per month. However, this is our primary car though, so to me it was worth it. Plus it will help on the resale which will be low enough as it is with Olds closing shop.

The cash discount is a corporate discount to try to avoid having to give out basically free loans. The dealer cost for the cars is still the same. I managed to negotiate the price to 4% above dealer cost. If you can get it lower then great, but your still saving alot over the advertised cash price.

The dealer invoice price for the advertised GX is $20992 inc. freight so I cant see the dealer only making $8. Add about $800 for the dealer + lic. & admin fee. If you can get it for $22000 + tax you've done well.

Good luck
    Where did you get this information? Do you work for carcostcanada.com?

;-)

Thanks very much though, I really appreciate it. Is that price reflective of the approx$240 price increase as of April 1?

Unfortunately we have 2 car payments and day car payments (=2 more car payments) so we really are trying to keep the money out flow to a minimum. I think it will be the GX sedan, but we shall see.

Alero re-sale will not suffer much at all. It's too close to the Grand Am to matter.
    Actualy, no I dont, but I did use their service to find out if their dealer prices were the same as I got. I have a friend who gave me the dealer prices. I even used Carcostcanada to get a price quote from three different dealers and found quite a difference between them. I actualy got mine for less than the cheapest of the three quotes so the only benefit I got from CCC was to see the dealer prices of other makes for comparison.

The Carcostcanada dealer price was accurate except for the $500 engine credit for the 2.2L. As for the price increase, I had no idea.

So if you have 2 car payments is this your third car? Then it makes sense to get the GX. Its still a lot of car for little $. I am actualy considering getting another one as a second car(my jetta engine just imploded). But I want a 5 speed this time. I had to get the auto for the wife. I'll probably get the GX too. I wonder if I can scam, uh, I mean ask for another $2000 Olds credit from GM? If not I might have to buy a cavalier. Ugh!
    No we will just have two payments. The Cavalier we had on lease is going back by month end. We will get a $1000 upgrade (going from Cav to Alero or Malibu) credit and a $2000 Olds credit. I also have a coupon from the auto show for 1% off the finance or lease rate.

Thanx again for all the info. There is a special 5-speed special GM has on the Alero GX coupe now. Check it out at www.gmcanada.com. If you go Cavalier, get the Ecotec upgrade.
    Your right, the price did go up. But you might not have to pay it. If you purchase a car thats already in dealer stock you should only have to pay the original price it was bought at by the dealer plus his markup. I looked at my invoice and the MSRP for the GL is $23100, but at the time I bought it the advertised MSRP on gmcanada.com was $23275 (now its $24510).So its actualy gone up twice. So make sure you ask the dealer to see the original dealer invoice to see what he paid for the car. Or if he wont show it to you, ask him when he took delivery and pay the price retroactive to that date. If hes had it a while it might be even less than the last MSRP price of $21480.

We can't really afford another payment. If i go Cavalier it will be the $11899 special. With my trade i could get it for about $6000. Not bad for a new car. Just a commuter car accross the city. About 50k a year. Otherwise I'll go used.
    If it wasn't for all the rebates and the Olds credit we would be getting a smaller car also. We are on a thin budget for a while until the day care thing eases off. Such is life.

That base Cavalier is a real steal at $12K. Even get ABS on that, not bad!
    Yeah, too bad the Ecotec is not available though. I called the dealer yesterday and he'll give it to me for $11400. I dont think you can even get a Kia for that price? I'm still going to try for another Olds credit though. I'd love another Alero.

BTW - misprint on last mes.(current GL is $23510. oops)
    Apparently ABS will not be standard next year so you better get a 2002 model. GM is dropping standard ABS from most cars next year, making it an option. I heard the Ecotec is standard next year though.

$11400 is a steal.

We have an appointment to test an Alero and a Malibu Saturday. $1000 upgrade applies to both so we may as well see if the Alero really is better. I've never driven a Malibu.
    I,m jealous. Its always fun going out and trying different cars. We only drove a few models because we were in a hurry for a new car. I wanted to wait for the Vibe or the Vue. They had a Vue at the local saturn dealer but it was the V6. No 4cyl. until April. It drove nice but it felt underpowered so I felt the 4 would be worse. I drove a Vibe last week and am glad I went with the Alero afterall. I never really considered the Malibu. I didn't care to much for the styling and the extra $750 off the Alero was to much to pass up. I'm sure they are quite similar though.
    That's funny, those are the vehicles we have already tested. We tried a 4cyl 5-speed VUE about a 2 months ago. It was very nice (actually I loved it) and peppy with the stick. Unfortunately with the power package, ABS and 5.9% rates, it's not cheap and my wife wanted the CVT. Payment would have been about $465/mo. incl tax.

The VIBE was pretty nice but my wife didn't care for it. I liked mostly everything but the steering (too close to the dash) and the engine which is a bit noisy. Rates were a bit better at 3.9%, but with my wife opposing it for the most part, not going to happen.

I'm pretty sure we will get the Alero at this point. $3000 of free money and 1.4% lease is hard to resist, especially on such a nice car.
    Where did you test the 4cyl Vue. My local dealer said that they were not available until April? I guess because the CVT was not ready yet? They didn't say anything about the 5 speed. Oh well, I found the V6 a bit noisy anyway. Maybe because it was the AWD? I was surprised how peppy the 2.2L ecotec is though. Passes great on the highway. The break-in is finaly over and I can open her up a bit. WOO HOO !!!
  • isseyvooisseyvoo Member Posts: 121
    Anyone ever visited the www.saveoldsmobile.org site? Almost brought a tear to my eye.
    I went to that site and sent a message. Hope it helps. But then I was just surfing some links on the site when I found the gm.com Alero page. What a price difference. I priced my GL (the same as the GL2 but with the 2.2L)and it came out to about $21600 US. Thats over $34000 cdn. Thats $10000 more than I paid. No wonder Olds is closing because they cant sell cars. They are way overpriced. It floored me when I saw that.
    I'm in Oakville ON. 5-speed VUEs have been around for a while now. A guy in my building has a white one I see every day. They are very smooth and car like vehicles, well priced in the 4 cyl. form. I tested the V6 also, but I don't need the AWD and they are a bit pricey.
  • oldsman01oldsman01 Member Posts: 1,203
    Anyone own or test driven a 2002 model with the new Ecotec engine? If so, what did you think? I never liked the old "twin cam" four much, but the auto press has given pretty good reviews to the Ecotec. Reason I ask is my girlfriend is starting to want a new car and with the discounts a base Alero or GL1 model would probably be in her budget. The 5 year 60K warranty is also a big perk. I would obviously go with a GL2 V6 or GLS model, but the lower end models is about all she wants to spend on a car. So I'm curious how the new four is doing.
    As I said in the Intrigue forum, I test a 2.2L GX this morning. Very smooth engine, quiet and very peppy. We drove a V6 Malibu to compare, but the Alero was clearly a much nicer car. 5 year warranty is a nice point. Can you use your Olds loyalty for her car?
  • 01alero7601alero76 Member Posts: 2
    Hello Everyone,

I have an 01 GLS coupe with all options except the moonroof. During the last year or so of ownership (19,000+ miles), I have only had a couple of minor problems. I had the driver side mirror replaced and although the new one vibrates less than the old one, it certainly does still get blurry around 70-80 mph. But I hate to lose the car for a day or 2 while they go and paint the new mirror, so I just put up with it.

My main concern now is I had all the windows tinted, and the power windows seem to scratch off the tint in big vertical streaks on each side of the car. I think there may also be scratches dug into the glass itself. Has anyone else with tinted or even untinted windows had this issue? I've heard of people having problems with scratched glass but I can't seem to find any posts here that describe this irritating phenomenon. Cars shouldn't have their windows scratched just because someone likes to roll them down and up. Certainly the [non-permissible content removed] cars don't do this.

In any case, these minor irritating probs aside, I do enjoy the european-style ride afforded by the sporty suspension and 16 in rolling stock. Minor quibble about the outside appearance is the large space between wheel and fender. Other than that, I do think these are beautiful cars and it's a shame GM couldn't find a marketable image for Olds, since they did make some nice cars (ie, the '75 cutlass supreme 350). I'm 26 years old, and if I make some fat cash one day I'd love to have one of those old cutlass supreme's to dust those pesky rice rockets around town.

Thanks for reading, and if anyone has any insight about the glass problem I'd love to hear about it. Happy driving and I hope your motoring is trouble-free.
    We haven't had this problem, but I do recall some other Alero forum posters mentioning it. I searched the posts. Here are the ones I found that mention scratched windows:

#720, #728, #736, #778, #1115

Post #728 mentions a technical service bulletin on window scratches. Hope this helps!
    I'm with you on the restored old Cutlass. I'd love a cherry red 70 442 convertible. BTW, I'm 26 too and found that Olds had a very appealing line of cars. I've got a 2001 Intrigue GLS which is an absolute blast to drive and fun to show these kids with the little four bangers with fart pipes what a real car with a real engine is. That is interesting about your tinting problem. I've considered getting the windows tinted on my Intrigue as it would not only keep the interior cooler(mine is black with a dark grey interior) but I think it would look pretty good as well. Does the scrathcing occur on all the windows or just one? BTW, I thought I had alot of miles on my 01 at 14K but your way ahead of me. If your like me, a great car just makes you want to take the long way home.
    So how did your test drive go yesterday dindak? Did it help you make up your mind? I took mine for its first long trip this weekend (1400km to Quebec and back). It handled great on the highway but you could feel all the bumps on those Quebec roads with the sport suspention. Good thing we take care of our roads better here in On.

The fuel mileage was great too. I set the cruise at 120 and I got around 8.1 L/100km. I guess you have to go through quite a break-in period before the fuel mileage goes down. I was getting horrible mileage for the last two months. It has just over 5k now. So expect the same with yours.
    We tested the Alero and Malibu on Saturday. Malibu has a nice V6, but the handling is soft as are the seats and brakes. The interior is not as nice as Alero either IMO.

Alero was great. Loved the Ecotec, strong brakes, handling and the new RDS stereo. I will likely fax an offer over today or tomorrow. I didn't discuss pricing at all as I clearly knew more about the car than the sales man (he said it had drums in the back and keyless entry, nither of which is true). Better just to cut to the chase I always say.

Where abouts do you live?
  • benhumbenhum Member Posts: 1
    Back in February I started a new job that requires a 170 mile round trip commute each day. Rather than destroy my Jeep Grand Cherokee, I decided to get a smaller, cheaper car with better gas mileage. I started looking at the Pontiac Sunfire but then the wife said "What does Oldsmobile have"? So I started looking at a Bright Red Alero GL1 coupe. I immediately fell in love with the styling of the car. I took it out for a test drive and proceeded to buy it. The list price was $20,570. I used the GM Supplier discount to get to $18,977. There was the $2,002 GM rebate plus the $1,500 Olds loyalty rebate. And I had about $1,300 in GM Credit Card points. So I paid just over $14,000 plus tax which I thought was a great price for the car. So far I have just under 5,000 miles on the car in 7 weeks. The only problem so far is that the lighter is shot. I'll have to stop in and get another one. The 2.2L Ecotec seems very smooth to me for a 4 cylinder. It also has decent power although I don't do any tire squealing starts anymore! Most of my driving is highway at a speed around 75 mph which has the engine going around 2,750 rpm. Of course there is also the expected expressway congestion that I sit in every day here in Chicagoland as well. The mileage is averaging around 27 mpg. This is a little less that I expected. I was hoping that with all highway driving I would get close to the 32 mpg EPA estimates. Perhaps if I slowed down a little bit I might get closer, but I don't really want to add any more time to my commute than necessary.

So far I've been very happy with the Alero and I hope that the reliability will be there in the long run. I am not too worried about depreciation because with all the miles I'll be putting on it it doesn't matter. The intent was to save putting so much mileage on the much more expensive Jeep. Besides, my oldest son is going to start driving soon and this will be a good car to send him off to college in in a few years.
    Good move on getting the Alero over the Sunfire. The J-body Cavalier/Sunfire are aging quickly(last redesigned in 1995) and the Alero/Grand Am twins are not alot more expensive and are far superior cars.
    In case I haven't mentioned it yet! LOL. I'm in Ajax didak. I cant believe the salesman thought it had drum brakes. The 4 wheel disc is one of its selling features. When I thought about getting the GX instead, I wasn't bothered about no keyless because it still had power locks and with an aftermarket remote starter you can get the keyless feature too. I actualy reconsidered my choice because the GX 4dr wasn't available with a spoiler or aluminum wheels. I like to ride in style :)

Let us know how the negotiations go. My offer still stands if you want a hardcopy of all my figures from GM to help in the negotiations.

Glad to hear that you like your GL benhum. I cant believe that you commute that far. Wow. I thought I had a long commute everyday at 150km(105miles). Unfortunately mine is in rush-hour trafic accross the city so I cant enjoy the ride as much.
  • hengheng Member Posts: 411
    but not the Supreme. If you get one you better set aside time and money to work on the motor. It was all low end. It had a 4 barrel Rochester but with the gas pedal floored it took forever and a lot of pavement to get up to 85 mph from 60 mph. It definitely would need intake, exhaust and cam work.

Todays cars are much quicker and we will save ride and handling for another discussion.
    Well, the day ended up differently than I expected. Fully intended to buy from the local dealer, but their best price was about $700-800 more than the price I got from Humberview via www.Autobytel.ca. Local refused to match it so I agreed to buy from Humberview.

Price was C$20886 + freight ect. and tax for a ruby red GX with auto and power seat. Pretty fair and almost what I thought I could get it for. I wanted polo green, but then my wife decided she liked the red better so I caved as I like the red just so much.

Still have to sign the papers and finalize it all. Should pick it up the end of next week as we have paid for this month's lease anyway. Looking forward to getting the car!!
    I'm sure you'll love it. We thought about the Ruby Red too but my bro-in-law just bought an Accord in that same color so we chose the silver. It has been great at hidding the dirt and salt, it never looks dirty.

I've heard good things about Humberview. Its a little out of your way though! I work close to them and was there two weeks ago to test drive a 99 jetta for a second car but we were too far apart on the trade of my 96 jetta. Should have taken the offer because a few days later my engine blew. $3500 later and I'm rolling again. But it was nice driving the Alero for two weeks while it was down. I hate to put too many k's on it though.
    Humberview is not far, it's 15-20 minutes down the QEW. I actually know the dealership also as we have tested a couple of cars there in the past. Gray would have been great, but our Intrigue is gray and I don't want two cars the same color. Red should not be too bad to keep clean, better than the black we have now for sure!

Sorry to hear your Jetta died. Are you still getting the $12K Cav?
    It was pretty peppy for a 115hp 2.2L. After the last two days though I'm not sure I want to get a car w/o air. My Jetta has a 3 month warranty with the used engine I had put in so I'll ride it out till June. At least it has air.

I looked at some 99-01 Aleros but I have read lots of posts about brake rotor problems and other things like that. And the 2.4L is not supposed to be very good either. Maybe thats just compared to the 2.2L though. They had a nice Black one there. But no 5 speed :(

Your right about black though. My Jetta is black and it always looks dirty. Even one day after washing it. And all the scratches show very easily.
    The base Cavalier 2.2L is actually not that bad, especially with the stick. For the price, it's a good deal. The only down side is that city mileage is not all that great.

The old 2.4L in the Alero is ok, but it's pretty noisy from what I remember when testing a Z24 back in 1996/97. Maybe the late models are better. Lots of power though!
  • shanianshanian Member Posts: 26
    The Alero 2.2 Ecotec is actually 140hp not 115.
    Horsepower: 140hp @ 5600 rpm
    Torque: 150ft-lbs. @ 4000 rpm
    Thanks, but I already knew that. I was talking about the 2.2L SFI in the base Cavalier (see end of previous post). I was thinking of getting one of those as a second car.

But while were on the subject, Anyone know how to get extra ponies from the 2.2 Ecotec? Maybe a chip or exhaust. There must be someing out there, these engines have been around for over a year now.
    As this engine is also used in the Saturn L-series, www.saturnfans.com might be a good place to look for links to chip/exhaust manufacturers that offer products. I would definitely say you'd want "hardware" that's for the Alero specifically, as I'm sure there's many differences in the two implementations of the same power plant.

Good luck, and maybe post what you find and do for others?
  • vcjumpervcjumper Member Posts: 1,110
    rsm racing has a bunch of stuff