Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Oldsmobile Alero

Comments

• mikey00mikey00 Member Posts: 462
    I just changed my front brake pads at 35K. What kind of life are others getting?
    It seems like GM is really ramping up on the incentives to buy a new Olds. Even though my 2000 Alero GL3 6 cyl with 35K on it is still a great car I thought it might be time to trade for a new Alero. The incentives are 3000 cash back, 750 cash alternative for 5 yr warranty, 1500 olds loyalty rebate, 2000 I have in GM points, and a 500 consumer certificate I have from GM. I haven't been to the dealer yet, but I would expect about 2000 off sticker before I apply all the above incentives.
    Here's the problem. I would like the same Alero I have, only new. After spending a few hours on gmbuypower.com going over dealer inventory and trying to custom build a order, I realized it was not possible. I would like 4 wheel disc brakes like I currently have. This is only available as an option package which includes performance tires and suspension. I have test driven performance tires and suspension and would pay extra not to get them. Also the EPA highway mileage was downgraded from 32 mpg (on my 2000) to 29 mpg on the 2003's. I am not sure why and if anything has changed here. I also have a tire pressure monitor which I think is a nice feature. It looks like it has been eliminated from all trim levels of the new Aleros. I would also like ABS which was standard in 2000 and now falls in to some option package.
    Here GM has a guy like me willing to buy but has made it difficult with their new configurations.
  • dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    The 4 wheel ABS discs were sweet, but I can understand why they got rid of them on the base model. I remember being surprised that such an inexpensive car had them in the first place and I'm glad I bought an 02.

Still amazes me what a great car the Alero is for the money. It's a shame next year will be it's last.
  • regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    like 9 grand off the Alero with all your discounts?

NEVER will you get the chance again.
    I have to agree with you, I can understand why they eliminated the 4 wheel discs on the base model. What bothers me now is the only to get them is bundled with the bone jarring performance suspension. If they change this next year I guess I will have another shot at a new Alero.
    Ya, I understand. We bought a base GX and got discs with ABS and I could not be more happy with them. For the price it could not be beat (even before my Olds loyalty coupon).

The 4 wheel discs are only available on the GLS up here and they are standard.
  • oldsman01oldsman01 Member Posts: 1,203
    I actually think it was a mistake to go to standard rear drums. I mean how nuch extra did it really cost to have rear discs? That was one of the Alero's advantages. Even if you bought the base GX model with no options, you still got alot of hardware for the price. They sure didn't lower the price any for 03 with the deletion of standard ABS, traction control, and 4 wheel discs.
  • evandroevandro Member Posts: 1,108
    I agree 100% with you, that's why I bought the Alero over the GA, not to mention looks.

Yet, the equipment didn't seem to be a deciding factor attracting customers. Look at its competitors that sell more and don't have half the equipment as the Alero. Then again, I and you alone wouldn't keep Olds afloat...

Unfortunately, most car buyers don't shop carefully, going straight to blue chips. If I'm asked, that's being dumb or what? ;^).
    People are looking for reliability, safety and value for the most part (top three things people look for when shopping). Deleting the rear discs in the base models saves money for GM I guess ($200 x 70K is substantial). Not much in this class has rear discs so it was nice to get the car with them while it lasted. Might be a selling point when I sell. We will need a van or SUV in a couple of years.
    Just like with anything, the average car buyer is dumb. But again, most are buying a car as an appliance to get them from point A to point B Look at the top 10 best selling cars(now, 10 years ago, or 30 years ago), do any of those get your blood boiling? Didn't think so. Still, the deleting of features is a bad move as many of the competitors are starting to make ABS and 4 wheel discs standard on more models.
    Speaking of SUVs, what do you think of the Chevy Equinox? Sure is alot better looking than the VUE on which it is based.
    I liked the Equinox a lot, but I also like the VUE. it will come down to price and features. The VUE is due for a refresh next year so who knows. With gas prices going to the moon again, I may just opt for a 5-speed 4 cyl VUE.

You are right on the discs, more cars are going that way but the prices are also going up. New Accord prices certainly have risen.
  • crystal70crystal70 Member Posts: 2
    Would appreciate and comments about the 2003 model. Thanks so much.
    The 03 Alero is the same as my 02 Alero aside from the rear disc brakes which are now drum. They also made ABS optional for 03. We have had our 02 for 9 months and it's been flawless aside from a fogged up headlight which was fixed with it's first oil change. We really like the car a lot, would buy one again today if it was stolen.
  • dailydoubledailydouble Member Posts: 22
    I have an 02 alero 3.4L I love the car for value and it is fairly fun to drive. I bought it a an ex "program car" ....with 29000 miles on it.
    I noticed a little 'lump/bump' in the steering when reversing into my garage at low speed. I took it to the dealer who told me the rack needed replacing. They did this under warranty and all was good. Now I have a VERY slight (2 0r 3 drips a night) leak under the car in the morning. so....Back to the dealer for another day, new Hose....back home again..looked this morning leak still there... they told me they steam cleaned underneath, test drove it, saw the small leak, replaced the hose and all is good...is this common to end up taking it back time after time or have I just got a bad dealer,hard to fix problem or being too fussy???
    or should I really start getting annoyed with them?... trust me...I will make their life misery, but in the end I have to do all the chasing,argueing and wasting my time! BTW..we also had the window regulator replaced and the side mirror is about to be replaced as it rattles....is this wha tI get for buying a program car???
  • mlm4mlm4 Member Posts: 401
    Double check to make sure that it is in fact still leaking and not residual fluid from the repair just dripping off. Your luck is probably no different for buying a used car than a new one.
    I gave the dealer the "benefit of doubt" and thought it was just residual fluid too. That's what they also told me when I took it back. They then steam cleaned it, test drove it and "saw" the leak...a new hose was fitted....I bought it home.....same leak 2 to 3 drops a night, in same spot.... do you think I should wash the area off with a hose let it dry..then try again...??? or just book it back in again and lose the car for another day or 2 ??
    At least your P/S leak was a small one, two days before Christmas the P/S pressure line on my Intrigue let go AT THE MALL PARKING LOT!! Car had to be towed in as the P/S pump was making a terrible noise and the steering assist was gone. Christmas and New Years came and I spent the holidays with a loaner(which was an Alero). I'd stay on the dealer until all problems are fixed. I've got a grocery list(5 items) to be checked on my Intrigue as soon as I have time to take it in.
    That's the problem.....at what point do you get fed up trying to get the stuff fixed V time spent at dealership...It does appear however, the leaking has stopped..2 days no drips..maybe this time it was just residual fluid ??
  • rdeschenerdeschene Member Posts: 331
    Our driveway slopes up at about a 15 degree angle from the street, and the garage doors are old wooden ones we have to open and close ourselves. At one point this winter, the driveway was icy enough you could slide down it in your winter boots. Sometimes it was covered with a light layer of snow, sometimes not.

Even on that surface, our Michelin Arctic Alpins had good grip: I could pull out of the garage, come to a stop in the driveway, and the ABS wouldn't actuate. Similarly, backing up into the garage from the street was no problem - no low traction light coming on.

I'm not trying to slam the brakes or really hitting the gas when I'm backing into the driveway of course, but this is pretty darned impressive for a non-studded (they're not allowed in Ontario) tire. They seem to handle 2-3" of snow OK as well, although you can feel them "digging into" snow, and sometimes get a low-traction light on there. Still quite secure.
    well, a week later and there has been no more dripping... so hopefully this time it is fixed.
    Now I'm just waiting for the dealer to call me to tell me my new side mirror is in and painted..
    overall, I'm very pleased with "Alice" as my wife has named her!
    I find the standard BF Goodies to be great in the snow. We just has a big snow storm last night and we drove right through the 10 cm of snow on the ground no problem.
  • jpelderjpelder Member Posts: 235
    I too think the standard BF Goodies are good in the snow. I have enjoyed trying to make the traction control kick in. This car is very good in bad weather. The more I drive this car, the more I like it. I would like to read a recent review of the new engine and 5 speed getrag.
  • machine23machine23 Member Posts: 3
    I have had my 99 Alero GLS for about 10 months now, I love it, it's very quick and the handling is great, but my tires all 4 of them seem to have a slow leak, I have to fill them up about 5-10 lbs about every 2-3 weeks, is this normal for the Alero. Also I've filled my Anti-Freeze 2 times in the last year also, is anyone else experiences these problems.

thanks
    machine : No. I think you may have a problems with your tires. As for the anti-freeze, do you see any leaking under your car after it's been parked?

jpelder : No one seems to ever review Oldsmobiles anymore. The Alero is one of the best cars for the money on the road but because part of a dead division, it gets zippo. More snow tonight here so more ABS and TC fun tomorrow morning.
  • gregkilliangregkillian Member Posts: 31
    I have one tire that loses about 5lbs. pressure every week. (2001 Alero GL2 w/ Eagle RS-A's). The pressure monitor does such a good job of nitifying me that I have not bothered to have anyone look at the tire yet!
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Member Posts: 1,565
    If you have aluminum alloy wheels, one of the downsides of these wheels is that it is more difficult to maintain a seal between the tire bead and the wheel-generally showing up as a slow leak in cold weather. Likely this is because aluminum has a higher coefficient of thermal expansion than steel. I had this happen to me on one wheel out of four after buying new tires. Slow leak didn't show up until cold weather. The fix was to slop more sealant on the bead when remounting the tire. This might be your problem. Then again, you could have a slow leaking puncture.
  • dpkalerodpkalero Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone had problems with theirs???

I had mine fixed under warranty (99 olds GLS) 18 months ago. Now my warranty just expired and its going to cost 800 bucks to replace it again!!

I'm currently fighting GM on this one.

Any suggestions from anybody??
  • ozznetozznet Member Posts: 81
    I am thinking of buying a 2002 Alero and I was just wondering what the most common problems with this car are or If I should even bother looking at one.
    Thanks.
    We meet again. Actually we have an 02 Alero. We got a $2000 Olds credit when they abandoned the brand back in 2001 so we decided to take advantage and get a baby Olds.

The car has been great. We have a GX with the 4 cyl Ecotec which I recommend as it will save you a few bucks. The 02 is the last year with 4 wheel discs and ABS standard so it's a good year to buy. We have had 1 issue so far, a fogged up head light. Other wise it's been completely problem free for the 9 months since we bought.

I thought you were getting an Intrigue?
  • ozznetozznet Member Posts: 81
    Just in case I can't find a 02 Intrigue. Just exploring my options. Also maybe a Grand Prix.
    Intrigue is a better car over all as it should be since it's more expensive. The 3.5L twin cam in the Intrigue is worth the extra $$ IMO. It's one of the best V6 motors made for a mid-size sedan.
  • shanianshanian Member Posts: 26
    Any comments on the front headroom in the Alero? Also how many have actually used it to haul 4 adults?
    I have an 02 GL 4 cyl with about 14K miles, no unscheduled visits so far, only oil changes.
    It has been quite rattle free, and would have been a great commute car which was the reason for opting for the 4cyl., but now I have joined a carpool and have to drive only 1-2 times a week, but with 4 peeps. So have been using my Intrigue for this duty which is my wife's car.
    Since she has been used to the Intrigue, she does not care for the Alero.
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Member Posts: 1,565
    I don't own an Alero, but can comment on rear seats in a four door sedan we rented on vacation last year. The rear seating position seemed to be very low in the car, such that my college age average height son looked like he was ten years old again, he sat so low. It was not particularly comfortable. The front seats seemed fine, however all of our family is average height or less.
    Rear seats are not great for adults much over 5'8 in my opinion. We have a 2 year old daughter that sits back there in ours, but I have never sat back there for more than 30 seconds. It's not the worst car for 4 adults, but the Malibu <for example> has more leg room.
    "The 3.5L twin cam in the Intrigue is worth the extra $$ IMO. It's one of the best V6 motors made for a mid-size sedan."

worth the extra dollars.......I think so also....see now if we had the option of getting it in the other GM cars like Impala, Regal, Grand Prix..........

really my 3800 *bashing* is just a point I'm trying to make about the fact that yes, the 3800 is a decent motor, but look, you may just like the values of the DOHC shortstar more. Why not offer this goodness to more folks in more of GM's cars? Why would anyone NOT want to put it in the GP, etc? Give people the choice to decide and let them drive it side by side and make their decision upon actually driving it....not just saying, 'the 3800 is fine, I don't need anything newer and neither do the rest of you'.

I'd bet others would think so to if they had the option of getting it. I'd bet that 70% or more of folks would opt for the Shortstar over the 3800 if given the choice.

Too bad the Shortstar was dropped. They could have continued production on it for some of GM's other cars.
    It was prohibitively expensive to get the 3.5L up to new emission standards. That's the main reason it was killed. Apparently it was also too expensive to build vs other GM DOHC V6 motors that were in the pipes and will be coming next year like the new 3.6L
  • pragmatic1pragmatic1 Member Posts: 1
    My 99 Alero GL has been running flawlessly, despite that I bought it used. The only thing that bothers me is an occassional rattle emanating from under the hood whenever the vehicle idles at a stop light. This doesn't happen often but when it does, its more annoying than anything. I've tried to feel around for loose wiring but nothing moves. Any thoughts?

To answer some of the questions regarding long start times, I use a synthetic blend oil and the start time is the same as when I first bought it at 19K. The car is approaching 60K and the lube shop I took it to accidently put standard oil in the engine. Boy, I could tell instantly that something wasn't right. After making them drain it and replacing it with Synthetic blend, it turned over beautifully. A couple extra bucks well worth spending.

Cheers
    well lets hope the 3.6L and 3.2L variants of this new global engine are made available in many GM offerings because people deserve the choice to be able to get something besides the pushrod options.

Expense is not an issue if all competitors have it standard or available as an option.
    Expensive is everything: ever wondered why there's no Civic V6 and a Camry V6 nears $30G?
    Intrigues sold cash out the door for the same prices as Impalas, Grand Prixs and Regals. Tauruses with Duratecs sell cheaper than Grand Ams. Intrepids sell as cheap or cheaper than the Wcars. Stratus fully loaded goes cheaper than Grand Am and has DOHC to boot.

Competition churns out OHC competitors like clockwork that meet or exceed the GM competition for equal and less real, out the door prices.

Civic don't need a v6....too small. Cavalier don't have a v6 either.

people deserve the choice to have the option but GM doesn't give it to them and the loyalists are conned into thinking the choice would have no benefit to the consumer because they think everyone should like GM no matter what motor is under the hood. The other majority of the market doesn't agree. No choice, no sale. Only thing driving the sale is 'how much is my rebate?'

The Camry gets 30g not because of its content, but because people are stupid enough to pay that much for them. They get it because they can, not because they have to charge it. The extra refinement in the powertrain makes it seem worth so much more. But mostly its because of reliability legends.

Loyal GM fans like dindak even pop for the Alero and Intrigue with the OHC motors.......dindak has even said he chose the OHC mill in his Intrigue.
    The Civic may be too small, but it sells for a V6 Alero or Grand Am. I don't care that about the OHC and the VVT in that measly I4: I take the toquey OHV V6 anyday.

Bottom line is that the cost of the engine has to come from something else. The Duratech retails $1000 more than the OHV. Look inside a Taurus and it's easy to figure out where it came from. The same can be said about the Stratus (I had one until 6 months ago).

Just don't get me wrong, I do like the Shortstar (I'm leaving to check on an Intrigue '99 momentarily). However, I'd rather have an OHV V6 in a car loaded with amenities than an OHC V6 in a car without TC, ABS, leather, etc (sounds like a Japanese car, doesn't it?).

Bottom line is that I'm glad that there's no such thing as an I4 on a Grand Prix or Impala, unlike many of their competitors. On the other hand, I miss the parting of the Intrigue...
    I understand your point about similar priced cars having OHC motors, but are they really that good? Take the Stratus, while it has a DOHC V6, it's no smoother nor does it perform any better than the 3400 V6 in the Alero/Grand Am. While us "car buffs" may prefer the added refinement and high end power of a DOHC engine, the typical midside car buyer probably wouldn't care if there was a vacumm cleaner under the hood of their car.
    Reg : I like my 3.5L Shortstar, but I would go back to a pushrod. My mom has a 3.4L Alero and its a rocket, I love it. The car we had before with the 3.8 was flawless, smooth and efficient (till the car got totalled). Like oldsman said, most people haven't got a clue what's under the hood aside from a V6. YOU mite car, I mite care, 80%+ of the population does not. As for cost, ohv engines are cheaper to build and that's why a V6 Malibu or even a Impala / Grand Prix cost the same as a 4 cyl Accord.
  • vcjumpervcjumper Member Posts: 1,110
    From the sounds of it the 3.6L will not even be standard on the base CTS model! LOL
    I think people prefer the feel of DOHC, why else would so many OHV equipped cars end up relegated to rental cars and not regular sales.
    "The Duratech retails $1000 more than the OHV. Look inside a Taurus and it's easy to figure out where it came from."

1000 bucks well spent and its still cheaper than the Impala. FULLY loaded Taurus for under 20 grand. The Taurus ain't too bad on the inside. It's nicer than the Alero, and most certainly the Regal, and Grand Prix, and Grand Am, and Century, and Malibu and (insert GM car here, need I go on). I'd bet some people spend more for loaded Grand Ams than Tauruses too which is a bigger tragedy.

"that's why a V6 Malibu or even a Impala / Grand Prix cost the same as a 4 cyl Accord"

some folks on this web site and in the auto journalism world have gone on record saying they prefer the tech 4 cylinder to the antiquated v6.

Go drive a 4 cylinder Altima, Camry, or Accord and then a Malibu or OHV Taurus and tell me which is preferred. i think you would be quite surprised at how many folks would opt for the 4 cylinder. That Altima 4 has get up and go and is quite a willing partner. its pretty smooth too and not noisy. I know the Accord and Camry 4's are quite good too. A coarse 6 is not always better than a good 4. Go drive an A4 or Passat, that 4 cylinder is pretty good too.

Hey vcjumper, is that true about the CTS? LOL! What's the deal are they gonna have the pushrod 3.4 as the base engine?!?! Or the 3800!?! ROTFLMAO.

As far as the 'the other 80%', those will always be those folks who only care about cupholders and how wide the seat is for their big butts. Thing is, if they drove the 2 side by side they would notice the difference and make a choice based upon it.

As far as Civics being the price of a Grand Am, I dunno about that. I can lease a new civic automatic right now with almost nothing down for 139 a month. I don't think the General could part with an Alero for 139 a month. I see ads for cheap Aleros right now but that is only because of these crazy Olds discounts and loyalty rebates. I would defintely rather spend my money on something like a Protege ES or P5 before I got an Alero.
    I think you need to go shopping with a few average people and see what they look at in a car. Examples : My mother in law wanted good cup holders, good seats and a reliable car (but has no idea what's under the hood). Our neighbor wanted an SUV with "lots of towing power". He got a "V8" in his explorer. The lady that sits next to me at work wanted "a basic 4 cyl car with a good CD player and A/C". Only car enthusiasts care about details of what's under the hood. Driving a 3.8L next to my 3.5L DOHC in the city actually looks bad as the 3.8L is much quicker off the line. Even my wife mentioned that when we took our Intrigue out for the first time.

I would totally buy a 4 cyl Accord over a V6 BUT, I'd take a 3.8L V6 (and hopefully the 3.5L in the 04 Bu) over a 4 cyl Accord anyday.
    I've driven a '00 Taurus yesterday and does it look cheap. I tried a '97 Regal right before it and the Buick had much better fitting and NO hard plastic.

I've had a '99 Alero V6 and that old OHV smoked any 3-series BMW up to the 2.8l I6. I couldn't care less what the manufacturer's parrots, I mean, the "specialized" press says. They don't buy my cars, I do.

Yes, I miss the loss of wind of OHV designs on the highway, but it's a problem that the SC 3.8 doesn't have, yet it's still an OHV. Fine with me. Yet, the supercharged 3.8 is cheaper to make than the remarkable 3.5 DOHC.

What matters to me is the bottom line. Anything else is nothing but fetish... ;-)
    "Yet, the supercharged 3.8 is cheaper to make than the remarkable 3.5 DOHC"

show me the proof of this. Do you have internal GM documents to suggest this?

a 97 Regal is truly a heinous looking piece and the current one has an attractive exterior but the interior on the current one is criminally bad as well.

The Alero is way nicer on the inside than the Regal.
    Take it FWIW or do your own homework yourself.