Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Oldsmobile Alero

L8_ApexL8_Apex Member Posts: 187
Welcome to the continuation of the Oldsmobile
Alero
topic. Those of you joining us from that
topic are welcome to continue your discussion.

If you're new to this topic, you may want to
follow the above link for additional archived
posts.

Thanks,

L8_Apex
Sedans Host

Comments

• 98monte_ls98monte_ls Member Posts: 117
    to Ronsmith38 - The Alero model is sold as a "Chevrolet Alero" in Europe. Unless they did a mis-print, it may be a European model!

to Rat284 - Sterling is dull. go for Ruby. My mom has an '01 Ruby. You won't be sorry!

to sneums - 6K for a '98 Saturn?? That's awfully low. Do you have a lot of miles? I think this is just a slow time of year to sell. I can't sell my Monte Carlo but I'll never go below fair market value.

They're coming out with a new Green color for spring. has anyone seen one yet?
  • ClaesClaes Member Posts: 1
    For all Europeans surfing on Edmunds, it might be of interest that the Oldsmobile Alero is sold as "Chevrolet Alero" in Europe. (At least in Sweden, but I believe it is the same in the rest of Europe).

In Sweden, there are only two models: max equipped V4 and V6 Sedans. The latter would be the Oldsmobile Alero GLS. The price for the V6 is in SEK 234.000 incl 25% VAT. That would be about USD 25,500. It is a fair price, taking into account the high VAT and the fact that small volumes are sold in Europe of Oldsmobile.

For all you GM freaks, it might be of interest to know that the common Chevy models in Sweden (and I guess Europe) are the small pick-ups, Tahoe, Blazer, Trans Sport and of course some Camaro and Corvette. A few other, single, Pontiac and Oldsmobile models are sold also (named Chevrolet).
  • merichmerich Member Posts: 3
    I am selling my 1999 Olds Alero GLS Sedan. I will be traveling overseas for the next year and I won't need a car in the US. The car only has 19K miles and is in mint condition. Here are the specs: V6, leather interior, sunroof, alloy wheels and spoiler. The car has every option except the enhanced bass system. I'm asking $17K but I will negotiate.
  • rich310rich310 Member Posts: 34
    Merich--Where are you located? What color and do you have any probnlems/complaints? I'm in NJ
    I've searched through a GM website where each dealer lists new inventory (I access it through the Olds site on KBB). You can actually access window stickers. Anyway, some of these list a color as Sanddrift. I think it might be a light beige. I have not seen it listed in the brochure I have or on KBB or Edmunds which list all teh specs? Is it a real color or what?
  • merichmerich Member Posts: 3
    rich310 -- I'm in MA and the only problem I've had with the car is the front rotors. They have been replaced with new ones and are working fine.
  • george00george00 Member Posts: 81
    I just noted your posting in which you state that your dealer refused to help you when your car shuddered at around 73 mph because it was over the legal speed limit. That is really an extraordinary argument, for the legal speed limit is 75 mph in many parts of the US - are Aleros only to be driven in certain states? For example, I live just outside Tucson, where the I-10 limit is 65 mph for one exit, then becomes 75 mph until you reach the outskirts of Phoenix. It certainly comes as news to me that Aleros should not use this highway, as I'm sure I've seen some on it. Auto dealers will use any argument to decline warranty work, but yours takes the cake.
  • wolftagwolftag Member Posts: 2
    I agree completely! I have since switched to a different dealership and have had much better luck . Well, with the service anyways -- the car keeps coming up with new problems at least once every 2 weeks. It's become a running joke, actually. The check engine light comes on so often, I'm tempted to pull the bulb out and forget about it. I have two years left on the lease, which is far to long. I'll try to buy myself out of it eventually.
  • marushamarusha Member Posts: 7
    After reading about water leaks in the 1999 models, I was hoping that it wouldn't be a problem with the 2000 models. Imagine my disappointment when, 12 hrs after bringing my beautiful midnight blue GLS Coupe home, I found the floor behind the driver's seat soaked with rain. I also noticed that the gasket around the floor of the passenger side wasn't spaced correctly and water pooled between the gasket and the frame. The dealership was accomodating, and tried to fix these issues. When I picked up the car, my tan leather interior was grease smudged and the interior door panels were more grease-gray than tan. The service manager couldn't get all the stains off, so they offered to detail and scrubbed the car on my next visit or replace the panels if they can't get them clean. Well, it rained again last night and guess what? Yup, still leaking....but now it actually leaks on the passenger side as well so it's worse than it was. Have another appt to try to fix it again. Called Oldsmobile to open a case file and register the situation. I really love the car, and just hope they can remedy this. Living in Maryland, we have a statewide Lemon Law which dictates if they can't fix the problem in 4 tries they have to give me a new vehicle or my money back. This is my first American-made car, and if it comes to filing a claim under the Lemon Law I'm going to take my money and run back to a Japanese vehicle. What a shame, since I am Oldsmobile's target market.
  • kwburnskwburns Member Posts: 2
    I know how you feel. I had the same water leak. It took 4 trips to the dealer to fix that and a rattle. They finally fixed the water leak (I hope) but the rattle is still there. I am ready to head back for # 5 to fix the rattle. I am also looking into the lemon law in my state. Good luck on your car. I know I will never buy another oldsmobile.
    I think I'v narrowed my choiuce down to a 2000 Alero GL2 sedan w/ 4cyl. A few owners have had serious water leaks. Are these in the sedan, the coupe or both. Do these cars have sun roofs?

It's really a toss up between teh Alero and Grand Am. But I sometimes have my Subarus serviced at a dealer who alos sells Oldsmobile. I'm very happy with the service there. But this dealer does not offer "deals" so I can buy the car any place ans just go there for service.

Thanks for teh info.
  • etharmonetharmon Member Posts: 399
    My brother's 99 Alero coupe has never had any problems with water leaks.
  • dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    I know 3 people with Alero's (including my mom's 99) and I have never heard of water leaks until I got to this web site. Bizarre!
  • kwburnskwburns Member Posts: 2
    I have a copue with sunroof, but the water doesn't leak around the sunroof, it comes in from somewhere around the bottom of the door.
  • jul12iusjul12ius Member Posts: 6
    steering wheel vibrates on hard braking is this to working of tracking system?system?
    my alero steering wheel vibrates as i brake hard anyone else have the?
    my alero steering wheel vibrates as i brake hard anyone else have the?
  • emilio735emilio735 Member Posts: 1
    No, I haven't got water leaks (maybe because it hasn't rained here in California).
    But I got.... (be prepared)...
    - Electrical Failure (alternator/generator)
    - Front Suspension failure (sway bar)
    - Exterior mirror vibration (electric motor loose)
    - Speakers stop sometimes with no reason
    I opened a case. Results: Oldsmobile didn't want to replace the car, they said they can't do anything just repair and keep repairing the car.
    My car is only 3 months old!!

I exchange some e-mails with a Customer Relations Director, with no results. I receive mail and wrote a letter to another Customer Relations Director and also didn't got any response.

My final decision?
    I'll have the car until the warranty expires and then I'm going to sell it. For sure will be the first and last GM vehicle that I will ever buy,

Regards.
    Why would you sell the car after 3 years when the bugs are all gone? You will take a huge hit to the wallet if you do that. My advise would be to hold it unless the problems presist. My guess is once the bugs are fixed, the car will be fine.
  • coalcrackercoalcracker Member Posts: 53
    I have a 2000 Alero, 4 door sedan. Because of several comments here I decided to check my car for water leaks. Lo and behold, I found a very bad leak on the right side of the car in the rear seat. A real gusher. I also found a smaller leak on the left side of the car in the rear seat. I do not know when these leaks started. I have the car for 10 months and now have 7,863 miles. I took it into the dealer yesterday to have the leaks corrected. Today they called and said they have to order parts and it will take two days to fix it. I have my fingers crossed because of all the comments here. I have not had a car ( my first car was a 1951 Chevy and I have had at least 14 cars since that time) that leaked water, so this is a new experience for me. I hope they correct it satisfactorily because I do like the car. It is hard to believe that a company could design and produce thousands of cars with such a major problem. That doesn't say much for Oldsmobile attention to producing a quality product. Especially since the Alero is their answer to competing with foreign manufacturers.
    There has been some discussion about the low reslae value of Aleros. Olds does not have the best reputaion for good quality, and Alero has yet to prove itself as a high quality car. Part of the resale value of a car is determined by supply and demand. Accords and Canrys have hi resale values due to their reputation for quality which creates demand for them as a used car. In addition, these cars rarely if ever have rebates.

Rebates are a good way to save money when buying a car. But the reality is that when Blue Book and the other company that helps set resale prices of used determines the pricce of a used car, they look at rebates that were available when the car was sold new. Currently there is a $1,500 rebate on Aleros. Essentialy this brings down the price of a used lero by $1,500. Moral of the story, to minimize your loss when selling your car, buy it new when you can take advantage of a rebate.
  • qualitycar1qualitycar1 Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone else had problems with their horn not working? So far I've had to bring my car to the dealer 3 times due to my horn not functioning properly. As I live in the Hot South, I'm not sure if it is the heat creating the problem, a general electrical problem or what. The dealer has said I'm the second car with this problem...I was wondering if anyone else has experienced their car horn not working as well.

Word to the wise...please check your horn before you really need it.
  • brad256brad256 Member Posts: 11
    I hope you were able to avoid the problem without your horn.

My problem has not been with the horn not working at all, however, it is very particular. If you do not directly push on one of the small horn markings, then nothing happens. When I feel I might need my horn (daily commuting around Chicago), then I'm sure to already have my thumb on one of the markings. I also learned this from experience.
  • qualitycar1qualitycar1 Member Posts: 2
    Luckily I was able to react faster than the other car, but still, when the horn's not working, safety is a concern.

The horn is completely dead...nothing works...dealer keeps say that I'm tripping a fuse somewhere, possibly when I'm plugging in my car phone...but the last two times, because of this warning, I haven't plugged in my phone...who knows. They are now talking about tracing the possible electrical problem.

Another person had a problem with their horn not working, but only when making Rt or Lt hand turns...weird.

Well, thanks for the info, and have fun with the Chicago traffic, just make sure you don't get thumb cramps from hitting the horn too often!
  • bronlexbronlex Member Posts: 2
    I've had my 2000 Alero GLS since last October and I love it. However, the dreaded waterleak struck me this summer. It took two trips to an Olds Dealership, but the second time I was there, the
    service technician informed me that GM issued a
    bulletin saying that there was a problem with
    leakage (something I told him because of the posts I have read here). Although the problem was just on the passenger side (It had something to do with a splash guard - it wasn't a seal problem), they went ahead and fixed the driver's side as well.

No problems in the six weeks since I've had it fixed, but we haven't had the big storms like we had in Iowa in June and early July.

Good luck. I love the car and (knock on wood) have had few problems.

I enjoy reading everyone's posts.
  • ded42ded42 Member Posts: 7
    My dealer finaly got my rotors and pads in and installed them the next day. The car is back to it's smooth running self again. No other problems to report after 9000 mi. since April 00 .
  • mrcarrollmrcarroll Member Posts: 1
    My wife and I just purchased a 2000 Alero GL3 w/feature and sport packages as well as the upgraded cd stereo. We drove everything with 4 doors priced around $20k and the Alero is what we chose. Handles good, fun to drive, roomy, and a good value. Our Alero is Meadow Green with Neutral interior.
    I'm ready to take teh plunge. I've always had Japanese cars in my 30+ years of driving so I have some trepedations about getting a GM car. But I want ABS and traction control and the price becomes prohibitive on the competition. In addition, I like the way teh ALero drives and handles. I've tested GL2 (4 cyl) and GL3 (6 cyl). Truthfully, I can;'t tell much of a difference. Which way do you think I should go. I'm leaning towards 6 cyl as I fear over time the 4 cyl may lose some power as it ages. but I like that the 4 cyl timing belt does not need to be replaced. It's a toss up.

Also, are there many changes for 2001 from 2000. Is there enough new or improved in 2001 to forego teh $1,500 rebate.
  • yurakmyurakm Member Posts: 1,345
    Timing belt for 3.4l V-6? Probably chain?

http://www.gmpowertrain.com/engines_cartruck/other/34_main.htm

The V-6 have much better torque, practically flat from 2000 to 4500 rpm:

http://www.gmpowertrain.com/engines_cartruck/other/34_torque.htm

Try both cars when merging into highway traffic, and you will see the difference. Or when starting from traffic lights. Or when passing uphill on highways...
    I would go 2000 with a v6. The V6 will give you more power and it's a smoother ride. I don't thing there are any major changes for 2001 so get that $1500 rebate and buy yourself a few more options.
  • marushamarusha Member Posts: 7
    First, I'd definitely go with the 6 cyl for reasons already stated here. Plus, GM doesn't have the best reputation when it comes to their 4 cyl engines. you won't loose much in the mpg and you'll gain quite a bit in the pick-up. It's MUCH more fun to drive.

My 2000 GLS is currently in the shop for the recurring water leak and they gave me a 2001 as a loaner. Only difference I see is the standard stereo has different buttons and the plastic floor guard on the frame matches the darker part of the dashboard. Personally, I don't think it's worth passing on the $1500 rebate.
    I'd get the V6. It's like $600 or so more and the mileage is almost as good as the four. The four does use a timing chain rather than belts, but the V6 uses a timing chain as well. Nearly all GM cars use chains. I think in the long run the V6 will be more reliable and hold up better. GM has done alot with their "Twin Cam" four since the days of the Quad 4, but it still lacks the refinement of many other fours. BTW, GM has just developed a new DOHC 4 cylinder engine which is exclusive to the Saturn LS right now. I've read it will replace the 2.4 liter Twin Cam across the board within the next few years.
    The Saturn twin-cam is sweet and it will be replacing 4 cyl engines in many GM cars. Should help sales as GM 4 bangers are generally only average.
  • drwilscdrwilsc Member Posts: 140
    The 3.0 L DOHC V6 in the Saturn LS2 should replace the push rod 3.4 in the Alero as well.
    It is just as powerful and much more refined.
  • ratoxratox Member Posts: 12
    I agree the Saturn V-6 may be more refined, but it has less torque, 190 ft-lbs (200 for the Alero's V-6) since it is a smaller displacement. And it gets terrible highway mileage of 26 MPG compared to the Alero's 32 MPG! The Saturn I drove was just like my Olds Intrigue 3.5 liter V-6, you had to floor it to make it romp. Give me an old -fashioned pushrod engine any day. I will get another 3800 V-6 in my next car.
  • sukinusukinu Member Posts: 1
    I've owned a 99 Alero coupe for 18 mos. and it has ongoing water leaks from the bottom on both the driver and passenger sides. Has even caused shorting out of the electrical system in one severe rainstorm. Repeated trips to the service center have still not resolved the problem.

Will be trading in this car for an Acura.
  • brianr500brianr500 Member Posts: 1
    I've seen some people mention wood trim in their Aleros. I have a '99, I'm thinking about getting this done. Does anyone have a recommendation as to where I can get the trim pieces?
    I just ordered a GL3 thru CarsDirect and Greenlight. Will go with whichever is lower cost. I decided that 6 cyl is with the extra money in the long term and mileage is a wash.

I have one quetion about the water leaks. Is there a way that I, or an Olds service manager can tell if the car wiill leak, or is there something taht can be done prior to delivery to prevent a leak.

Thanks all for all your help.
  • aldine1aldine1 Member Posts: 1
    Hello, looking to purchase a car early nxt year with a nice down deposit, Thought it might be this car until I read the reviews. I went into another site where people reviewed this car and no one mentioned a water leak. Actually, all except one person had VERY GOOD responses.Anyway, I will probably purchase the 2001 so I am hopeing that the water leak problem will be resolved by then. YES, I would be interested in knowing if there is a way to detect this problem prior to purchase as stated in above statement. Good luck to all with there leaks. THX for any advice.
  • jgriffjgriff Member Posts: 362
    Gentlemen, please take note I am not trying to take direct aim at the Intrigue, sorry if it is coming out that way. I just happen to be voicing my thoughts here on the Intrigue site, and I’m NOT pro-Acura maybe pro-foreign. The Acura TL was simply the car I choose as an example, it could have just as well been a Passat/Carmry/Accord/Maxima.

In my estimation, it looks you both keep pretty busy smoothing people’s feathers [defending] over on the Alero & Aurora sites. It appears that I not alone in feeling a bit slighted on Olds products. Waterleaks, rotors, panel-gaps, low-resale to name a few, and not to mention Olds warranty reduction plan on the Aurora.

I do remember test-driving the new Aurora back in March 2000 and I was a little shocked by that little bit of news. It does send a signal that GM/Olds is not willing/capable of backing their products. Think about it, you spend $35-40k and you get the industry’s standard 3/36k warranty OUCH. That’s why everyone dropped the 80’s 5/50k plan, it was simply NOT cost effective. GM should be concentrating their efforts more on producing solid product lines, and not so much on how to save money. If you do-it right from the get-go, the problems will not come back and haunt you.

I still believe the Intrigue concept(s) was and is GOOD. Right now it appears to be a simply a “great plan, poorly executed”. GM needs to pool their resources “together” and come out with ONE world-beater on the “W” platform, not 4 or 5. You see Toyota & Honda keeping the number of platforms [4-door sedans] limited i.e. Carmy/ES300, Accord/TL, a regular and a luxury model.

Does everyone remember back in the 70’s when GM had so many options on color combinations, that it made your head spin. And of course nowadays the choices have been greatly streamlined. That sort of the same problem with all the different GM platforms, they are trying to cater to every possible consumer’s whims. I think that is a very daunting task to accomplish.

Again guys I truly believe that the Intrigue concept is GM best “W” offering. However to compete with rest of the world, they [GM/Olds] are going to have to raise their standards, because the Big-Dogs are barking.
  • coalcrackercoalcracker Member Posts: 53
    I put my 2000, 4door, Alero in the shop for water leaks in the back seat area on both sides.I could duplicate the leak on one side with a hose but not on the other side. They put in new water deflectors (I would guess in each of the doors) and I tested the car out with a hose and could not produce a leak. The real test will be when we get some good rains. Wood dash kits are available from three websites namely,www.woodcorp.com, www.woodtrim.com, and www.salesco.com. Check each site carefully. They have differences in their kits in the number of items, the location of items in your car and the way the wood is made. They also have simulated wood in plastic and other patterns.
    JGriff I didn't know you had experience with the Aurora and Alero as well. Come on admit it, your a closet Oldsmobile fan:)
  • bronlexbronlex Member Posts: 2
    I also had a water leak and the service department said that GM had sent them a notice that there was a problem with water leaks that stemmed from faulty water deflectors. They changed both sides (although it was just the passenger's side that had the leak. This was in early July and I haven't had any problems (haven't had much rain, either!).

Despite this, I feel the need to tell all of you this car has more than exceeded expectations. As my friend told me the first time I let him drive it: "I'll bet you have fun driving this!." He's right. It is fun to drive. I would definitely go for the 6-cylinder engine. I test drove both and there is no comparison.
  • mfuller1mfuller1 Member Posts: 17
    I think Olds has fixed the water leak problem. I purchased a 2000 Alero Gls about 2 months ago now. Although I usually hand wash it, I have gone through a few touchless automatic car washes; no leaks thus far. The steering wheel was vibrating a bit at highway speeds, but a wheel balance seems to have cured it. Hopefully I won't have any of the brake problems associated with the 99s. The car has developed an annoying squeak though which is disappointing. My Infiniti was squeak-free up until 90,000 miles and this car has just a bit over 2200 on the clock. We'll see how it goes.
    Great.. now you are bad mouthing Olds products you have never owned in other forums. You had a bad first year Intrigue and now you go through other areas and imply all Oldsmobiles are bad.

Folks, don't take too much "jgriff" says to heart. He is a bitter man with too much time on his hands.
    I am very pleased with my gl-3. v-6, feature pack, spoiler, silver mist. Aside from having the rotors/pads replaced, the car is excellent. 9000 mi. plus since the first week in April,00. No squeaks/leaks, great gas mi. if I take it easy on the pedal. Olds DOES make a great car(I've not owned an American car since the early 80's) and the price is right. For those about to buy, purchase your car from a good local dealer if possible, even if you pay a little more. In most cases you WILL get better service having purchased the car where your car is serviced. Good luck
  • smileypsismileypsi Member Posts: 4
    i have a question... does the 2000 model have the same brake rotor problems the 1999 had? my 2000 gl with 6500 on it is starting to shimy on the highway and the bakes are starting to vibrate. Is this problem going to be fixed by the new rotors? Oh, I have seen the water leak on the passenger door too. not too much of a problem because it hasn't rained in almost two months...
  • emswenemswen Member Posts: 2
    Dear merich,

Have you sold your car yet? If not, where are you?
  • emswenemswen Member Posts: 2
    I am 22 years old and buying my first new car. I currently drive a 91 Honda Civic. I am trying to decide between an Alero (coupe or sedan) or a Jetta. Any advice? I will also be working in an unsafe section of D.C, so any advice as to safety/theft issues would also be appreciated. Thanks!
    smileypsi,Yes. Bring your alero to the dealer and unless the new parts are on backorder, they will replace both pads and rotors without any questions under warranty. emswen, there is a great deal of difference between the two cars you are comparing and the model has everything to do with your decision. Alero: GL,GL2,GL3,GLS? Jetta: 4 or 6 cylinder, manual or Tiptronic trans.(or is that only on the Passat...) and so on... Make it your life's work to compare for a couple of weeks and by all means DRIVE THEM ALL. I chose between the Alero the Passat and the Gallant, all v-6's and I'm glad I chose the Alero. Check out Edmunds Buyer's Guide, I saved thousands. Good luck