Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Oldsmobile Alero

Comments

• mikey00mikey00 Member Posts: 462
    I said it many times before here so I will keep it short. I don't think I could have purchased a better car for the money than my 2000 Alero V6. Go back and search through my old posts if you want more details.
    Mike
  • mnalero99mnalero99 Member Posts: 2
    I BOUGHT A 99 ALERO COUPE LAST YEAR. THE LICENSE PLATE BRACKET IS CRACKED AND I WANTED TO GET A NEW ONE. I LOOKED AT THE BRACKET AND IT IS RIVETED INTO THE BUMPER. I'VE NEVER SEEN ANYTHING MORE STUPID. ARE THERE ANY BRACKETS OUT THERE FOR AN ALERO THAT DO NOT NEED TO BE RIVETED IN THIS WAY. THANKS,SCOTT SOLLY
  • regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    avoid the quad 4 at all costs.
  • dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    whatever
  • jtrujillo86jtrujillo86 Member Posts: 300
    I think it's so hilarious how you (Reg) and everyone else bickers about your differences. You HATE GM engines, it seems, but continue to post messages on GM boards...not that you're not welcome (I think you're helpful in some ways), I just thinks it's funny. Just a thought...

Jeremy

P.S. Thanks all Alero owners. The car I was looking at sold, but I think I may go with a 2002 or 03 for the 2.2 Ecotec. I'll stay away from the 3.4 because I hear they have the same manifold problems as my 3.1 and I can't afford to shell out 750 bucks again for that problem.

P.P.S. Hey Reg: not trying to start anything, but I contacted a local Oldsmobile dealer and inquired about the reliability and longevity of the QUAD 4. He said, "Those have been pretty much bullet proof. We hardly see any of those for any defect...just for normal maintenance".
  • oldsman01oldsman01 Member Posts: 1,203
    If the engine is the real "Quad 4" which was actually the 2.3 liter engine built from 88-95, I would avoid it at all costs. They may have been fairly reliable, but were not very refined at all. I've had a couple of Alero loaners with the 2.4 liter "twin cam" four and while I know it is just a reworked version of the Quad 4, it was a decent engine. Still not as refined as a Honda or Saab four, but it does make pretty decent power. Having said that, if I were in the market for an Alero, I'd go for one with the V6. The V6 is more powerful and more refined and gets nearly as good mileage as the four does. The V6 only added about $600 to the price of the car when new so there should be a plentiful supply of used Aleros with the V6.

jt, if you can afford it, I would try to swing a new Alero. With all the discounts on Oldsmobiles, you could probably get a base model Alero pretty cheap. And you'd have a brand new car with a 5 year/60K warranty.
    I can't afford it. The only reason I'm looking into a car now is because the Malibu that I have is constantly in the shop. On top of my monthly car payment, I can't afford to pay to get her fixed every month. The only reason I'm looking at the Alero's (other than the looks, both inside and outside) is the resale value is horrible, which is a plus in my case. I can get an 02 with the 2.2 Ecotec with 24K miles and everything except leather and a sunroof for about 11K. It's totally worth it in my view.

Jeremy
    I currently use Valvoline Durablend 5W 30 in the fall and winter and Valvoline Durablend 10W 30 in the spring and summer in my Malibu. I saw a commercial for Mobil 1 Synthentic and it claimed that after running a car for 200K miles, the interior of the engine showed little or no wear whatsoever. What do you guys think? If I get an Alero, I'd like to try it. What does everyone use in their 2.4, 2.2, or 3.4's?
    Thanks!

Jeremy
  • oldsman01oldsman01 Member Posts: 1,203
    That is one good thing about an Olds if your buying used as you can get a heck of a deal on one. Several here have 02s with the 2.2 liter engine and they like it alot. I use 10W30 in my Intrigue year round. I considered synthetic at one point, but really didn't see enough evidence to warrant the extra expense. I typically change my oil in 3-4K intervals despite the manual saying it can go uo to 7500 miles. Good luck with the 02 Alero. I think you'll like it much better than the Malibu.
    The one I was planning on getting got sold. Now I'm back to looking for the best deal. I'm hoping that Monday will bring me a new (new to me) Alero!

P.S. - About the synthetic thing - When I switched to Durablend, there was a lot of people saying there were bennifits, while others had their doubts. I would much rather pay a little more (for me, it comes to about $8.00 more) for something that MAY possible work, but never hurt, than save a little and never know if that extra money could have paid off. The way I see it, the automobile engine is a man-made object. I would much rather have the stuff that lubricates it be man made, other than from the earth. The only thing I use in my car that's natural (or natural to a point) is mid-grade Conoco gasoline.

Jeremy
    Oldsman is right. The newer 2.3Ls are ok. That said, if you can grab an Ecotec powered Alero, you will get more refinement and better mileage.
    Did you guys know that the 2.2 Ecotec engine was co-designed by the Lotus car company? I thought that was pretty cool...
    Yup. GM used to own Lotus and still does design work with them. Ecotec is a very cool little engine with lots of pep. The revised version in the 04 Bu pumps out 145hp, pretty decent for 2.2L..
    co-designed is a stretch. Lotus pretty much did the whole thing, just like Porsche designed the new Harley Davidson v-twin.

All I've ever read and seen about quad4's is that they are loud, rough, and blow head gaskets a plenty. I drove Calais and Achievas with the Quad4 and they sounded like lawnmowers. The Twin Cam 2.3 may have been a bit of an improvement, but it was still not as good as most 4 cylinders.
    I'll give you that Reg, the 2.3L was louder and less refined than most 4 bangers.

As far as I know the Ecotec was indeed co-designed with Lotus. It's no stretch but it was a big help from the masters of generating HP out of small packages.
    Reg, didn't we cover the Porsche and the V-Rod thing in the Malibu board. Only the cooling system was, in fact, designed by Porsche. Let's not open this wound back up and get ANOTHER board shut down.

Jeremy
    just admit you're wrong then jj. email me at regfootball@hotmail.com with the internet link to a proven factual story that explains that Porsche ONLY had involvement in the cooling system only. That would exclude heads, pistons, cam drive system, block, heads, and combustion chamber.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    If you two really do need to have this conversation, yes, do it by email - not here.

Thanks.
  • andrej1andrej1 Member Posts: 7
    Report Date : September 8, 2003 at 03:45 AM
    TYPE : VEHICLE
    YEAR : 2001
    MAKE : OLDSMOBILE
    MODEL : ALERO

Hi to all please find below the recall information:

Make : OLDSMOBILE Model : ALERO Year : 2001
    NHTSA CAMPAIGN ID Number : 03V327000 Recall Date : AUG 27, 2003
    Component: EXTERIOR LIGHTING:HAZARD FLASHING WARNING LIGHTS:SWITCH
    Potential Number Of Units Affected : 670740
    Summary:
     CERTAIN PASSENGER VEHICLES HAVE HAZARD WARNING SWITCHES THAT MAY EXPERIENCE SOLDER JOINT CRACKING CAUSED BY RAPID TEMPERATURE TRANSITIONS AND THE SOLDERING PROCESS. IF SOLDER JOINT CRACKING OCCURS AND RESULTS IN AN OPEN CIRCUIT, THE TURN SIGNALS/HAZARD LAMPS BECOME INTERMITTENT OR INOPERATIVE.
    Consequence:
     WHEN THE TURN SIGNALS ARE INOPERATIVE, THE DRIVER CANNOT USE THEM TO SIGNAL INTENT TO TURN THAT COULD RESULT IN A CRASH.
    Remedy:
     DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE HAZARD WARNING SWITCH. OWNER NOTIFICATION IS EXPECTED TO BEGIN DURING THE SECOND QUARTER OF 2004. OWNERS SHOULD CONTACT CHEVROLET AT 1-800-630-2438, PONTIAC AT 1-800-620-7668, OR OLDSMOBILE AT 1-800-630-6537.
    Notes:
     GM RECALL NO. 03043. CUSTOMERS CAN ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION’S AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236).
    Looks like it missed my 02. Yah!
  • 3and143and14 Member Posts: 36
    I just had to get new rotors and pads on my 2001 Alero with 23K miles at a cost of over $550.00. I was told that there was no warranty coverage because both the pads and rotors are both considered "wear parts" and are covered for 12months/12000 miles only.

I was at a dealer on vacation 2000 miles from home and didn't have the opportunity to force the issue or go elsewhere, but I feel that at least the rotors (the pricey part) should have been covered. In the warranty wording, only pads are specifically referenced as not covered and it seems ridiculous to expect rotors to only last for 12K. "Bumper to bumper" sure is hollow.

My question is, has anyone else been treated any differently in terms of warranty coverage on rotors? I know you people are out there by the dozens who have had Olds brake problems galore, having previously owned an Intrigue that was on its third set of rotors by 30K. At least these were always covered under warranty, with never more than 10K elapsing before they would go bad.
    My understanding is that GM Canada WILL cover brake problems up to about 30-35K kms. I'm not sure what GM in the US does, but I would think you should be able to fight your dealer on that one. If not, call GM direct. It's worth a try and it certainly does not sound unreasonable. I'm not sure what kind of driving you do, but even if you are hard on the brakes 23K seems short in terms of life.
    My rotors were replaced at 13k on my 2000. The brake pedal was pulsating and I pointed out to the dealer that there was a TSB published for defective rotors. My next brake service came at 34k when the pads were worn. I do about 60% highway and 40% city driving. If you do close to 100% city or tow I guess it's possible to need brakes at 23k but it does sound too soon.
    The rotors are the real question. If they were replaced because they were warped, I feel the dealer should replace them under the TSB. If they were replaced because they were scored from worn brake pads rubbing on them and the car was not brought in fast enough for service then the dealer has a case.
  • p100p100 Member Posts: 1,116
    I read several posts comparing Hyundai to an Alero and this is my comment:

I do not own an Alero, but had rental one with 3.4 liter engine and found it to be a very capable midsize car in terms of performance. Of course, I cannot comment on its quality or reliability.
    But those people who buy Hyundais, better plan on keeping them until wheels fall off because the resale value of these cars is horrible and some dealers simply do not want to take them on trade. I heard this directly from a local Honda dealer.
    Some Honda dealers are pretty snobbish about their cars and the competition. Take it all with a grain of salt.
    i am shopping for my friend, i found a used 2002 Alero GX with four cylinder and five speed. (a coupe, actually). Would this car have the ecotec or grain harvester.....er, Quad 4 under the hood?

FWIW, a 2002 with 3k miles on it for 9995 USD.
  • mcrrtmcrrt Member Posts: 93
    I know this wasn't directed to me, but I believe '02 was the first year for the Ecotec in the Alero/Grand Am. A 5 speed is a rare find indeed...

mcrrt
    I have an 02. It will have an Ecotec and still have the 4 wheel discs and ABS.

Should be a very good car. The Getrag 4-speeds are solid and the 02 and 03 models are very tight. Unless it was abused I would buy it. You get the 5 year powertrian on it also.
    she's going on the Protege anyways I guess......
  • skibry1skibry1 Member Posts: 174
    The Ecotec w/LeftLegFlexor!!!!!!
  • sunshine18sunshine18 Member Posts: 3
    I have been looking a used cars for the last three days and so far the best looking and best PRICE is a '99 Alero with 25,000 miles, 2.0 liter engine and no bells or whistles. It is in very good shape and a great blue color.

I have heard some bad stories about the 4 cylinder Alero. Of course they were from other dealers but I read in the Consumers report that
    v-6 is the way to go.

AM I MAKING A MISTAKE? This is urgent. I will be purchasing tomorrow evening if they make the deal I want. Any sugestions? BUY OR NO BUY? WHY? I want to hear from those of you that have experienced this car already. My other option is a Ford Focus.......
    The 2.0 you are referring to is really a 2.4L. It's an ok engine and not unreliable in more recent years though it used to be in the early 90's. Should be fine though it is a little unrefined IMO. The new 2.2L Ecotec in the 02+ models is much better.

As for the car it self, should be fine, but it's used so you always take a chance no matter where or what you buy. Will you get any warranty with it?
    No warranty, except the dealers for 60 days, 1,000 miles.

Thanks for the info on the engine. This is all new to me if, you couldn't tell. I know that any used car would be taking a risk so I thought to go with one that give me a good price and a good look and see what happens. Thanks for the quick response. I am going to the dealer tonight to talk to them again. Will probably make the deal happen.
    Is it a GX or a GL? What do they want for it?
  • mcrrtmcrrt Member Posts: 93
    I've bought my 2000 Alero GL about 3 years ago with 7000 miles on it, and now with just shy of 41,000 on it, I have no real complaints. While a little rough sounding, the 2.4L puts out good power, and I average about 25-27 mpg in combined driving. The only engine issue I've had was a cam cover oil leak that was covered under warranty. Other than that, only the items endemic to the Alero (hand brake boot, HVAC fan resistor). At least I never found puddles on the floor in the back seat like so many others have! One thing to consider: '99 was the first year for the Alero, and first year vehicles, particularly domestics, are prone to having "teething" problems. Best of luck.

mcrrt
    Any first year car is prone to first year issues. Go look in the Accord forum.
    Thank you all for your input. I want to make the deal last night and this jerk of a sales professional got even worse so I walked. He was supposed to call today and let me know if he will make the deal I want but has not.

Thanks for all of your help but poor service has lead my back to my familiar stomping grounds.....FORD! To bad for this dealer that they lost a customer because of bad service. Thanks again and good luck. SUNSHINE OUT!
    Bad sales people are everywhere, Ford can be just as bad.

Too bad, such is life.
  • jlgoldenjlgolden Member Posts: 32
    Wow, I read numerous posts of Alero troubles, and all remind me of how disappointed I was with my 2001 Alero. I have posted about it here before: the reliability let-downs, dealer run-arounds, and the very un-helpful Olds customer assistance hotline (they have no authority or car knowledge, either.) I will not get on a roll bitching about it now...I'm over it. But my bad experiences were enough for the car to be deemed a LEMON, according to Texas Lemon Law, and it was REPURCHASED by GM after several months of listening to apologies, excuses, delays, and unfulfilled promises. After the Olds went away, I swore off GM products and immediately purchased a wonderful 2002 Nissan Sentra. But all hope is not lost! I fell in love with the all-new 2004 Grand Prix, and now I have one in my garage. My expectations are high for a better experience this time. My new Grand Prix is GM's final chance to sweep me off my feet and keep me out of import brand showrooms. I believe that GM does make good, trustworthy products. Further, it is sad to see the Olds division leaving us next year.
    Glad to hear you came back to GM. The new Grand Prix is a real beauty and I may consider one myself in a couple of years when I pass my Alero on to my son.
    I also read about all the Alero problems, but I believe the problems are far outnumbered by satisfied customers. All brands have lemons, even Lexus. Did you read about the Lexus/Toyota V6 oil gelling problem? It's a much bigger problem the the V6 intake manifold gasket failure with some Alero's. Mine had some of the standard problems like warped rotors (fixed on warranty) and blower motor resiator board (big deal only $17). But where else could I get a automatic, V6 (great engine, good gas mileage), antilock brakes, tire pressure monitor, good working traction control, air, power windows, etc. for only $12,000. It listed for $22k, was discounted to $18k, then I applied my GM card $6k credit.
    New GP is nice, made just 1 hour down the highway from here.

We have had virtually no issues with our 2.2L Alero. Only one was a fogged up head light fixed under warranty. Our 02 is now 1 1/2 years old.
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,975
    Out of curiosity I checked out the Olds web page to see if it was updated to reflect the 2004 models. It is and showed the last three remaining models. When I went to get a 3/4 view, front view of the Alero, the site doesn't show the Alero (thou it labels it such), but instead shows the 2003 Aurora! Even with the end of Olds, certainly GM can pay a little better attention and get it right! I guess they just don't care...

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• mlm4mlm4 Member Posts: 401
    The Oldsmobile web site has been in a sorry state for a few years now. Just like the division, it's been a long, slow death.
  • ron_mron_m Member Posts: 186
    After GM drops the Olds division, I wonder how difficult it will be to obtain Alero replacement parts 3-5 years from now? I'm considering the purchase of a 2001 model Alero for my wife's next car, but have some concerns as to whether or not it will be difficult, if not impossible, to find replacement OEM parts for Olds products a few years after the division's demise.

Ron M.
    Parts should be no problem at all. It is the same car as the Pontiac Grand Am. But even if it wasn't parts will be available.
  • nickpernickper Member Posts: 28
    Just ask yourself this regarding parts availability: Can you still get parts for 80s GM cars that are no longer produced? For instance, the Chevy Celebrity, Pontiac Parissiane (sp?), Olds Delta 88, Buick Roadmaster, Cadillac Brougham? Yes - parts are out there for all of these cars still. Call any auto parts store and ask if you want to test this theory yourself.
  • burdawgburdawg Member Posts: 1,524
    I wouldn't worry about mechanical parts, but I would have some concern about body/trim parts which would mostly be manufacturer supplied only. Even with that though, parts should be available for several years.
    Even if trim parts (wheel covers, moulding, knobs & switches) become hard to find NEW, there will always be plenty of wrecked Aleros waiting around in salvage yards. Considering that the car looked exactly the same from 1999-2004 model years, there will be plenty of interchangeable parts for many years to come.
  • ron_mron_m Member Posts: 186
    Based on the responses to my inquiry regarding Alero replacement parts, we may strongly consider buying a used one now.

What year model should we stay away from--other than possibly the introductory year? What year model(s) was most prone to the water leaks that I've read and heard a little about? I don't have the time luxury of reading through all of the posts in order to determine which year model(s) had the worst water leaking problem(s).

Thanks in advance!

Ron M.
    Ron M. - My Alero was a 2001 (the third year of production) and even then, it leaked when it was about 9 months old. I don't know which model years were the worst "leakers", but any used car is somewhat risky. Whatever you do, have the car thoroughly inspected and get an extended warranty to cover your butt in case anything major fails. Better yet, look at a GM Certified used Alero.