Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Oldsmobile Alero

1545556575860»

Comments

• creolcreol Member Posts: 1
    I also have an 2001 Olds Alero GLS and the same thing happened to me with the car stalling on a turn or idling. It took a while but my mechanic figured out is was the fuel relay. I had a new fuel pump assembly put in and they had to replace it twice before they figured out it was the relay. It's been fine so far, although it did happen once again about 6months later. I'm waiting to see if it will reoccur. I've got 103,000 miles so it may be time to replace the car soon anyways if it continues acting up.
  • jhouse123179jhouse123179 Member Posts: 4
    Hi all, there seems to be a sort of ringing noise coming from around the serpintine belt. The funny thing is, is that it only happens when the a/c is off. Not sure what it could be, and the vehicle seems to run fine still. Anybody have any clues as to what it could be?
  • burdawgburdawg Member Posts: 1,524
    Could be the tensioner or idler pully if it has one. When the compressor is on the tension changes on the belt which may explain why the sound goes away. Could also be the clutch on the compressor rattling when disengaged.
  • jhouse123179jhouse123179 Member Posts: 4
    Thanks for your input. I think it might be the compressor rattling since it is coming from the front of the car instead of the back where the tensioner is. It sounds like it's going to cost a lot of $$$. Oh well.
  • lovemygrandamlovemygrandam Member Posts: 330
    For those of you who have a 1999 - 2004 Alero and have been having problems with the Security system keeping you from starting the car, read on....

I am a retired GM Electrical Engineer. I own a 2002 Grand Am, and had this problem two years ago. I bought a Shop Manual for my car ($130.00), and worked out a way of bypassing the Passlock II system on my vehicle. After making the modification on my car, I have not had a single instance of No start caused by the Security system.

Last week, as a favor to a friend, I performed the same modification on a 2003 Alero. It took less than an hour. (not counting the time I spent taking photos of my progress) The modification was successful on that vehicle.

Details of the modification are posted on my personal website at:

http://www.bergerweb.net

There are instructions on how to do the modification using two methods. Both methods bypass the security module in the ignition circuit. One bypasses it at the connector to the Body Control Module, which is under the glove box. The other does the bypass near the ignition switch, which can be reached by removing the radio.

Please post back if you find the instructions useful.

Richard Berger
  • belgasbelgas Member Posts: 1
    I love alero. :) although in our gasoline costs 1.7 dollars per liter as the American car I'm driving. scary to hear that in America more and more people are choosing small cars.I I'm driving the Chevrolet Alero, and I am happy. beautiful, strong, good metal car, not like Japanese tin bucket. :) .I jealous American people, because in America there are many beautiful car ....... but how long will there be? /?
    Klausyti
    Skaityti fonetiškai
  • glessenglessen Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 Old Alero that will not start in the cold weather. Now the ignition switch has been replaced and still have the same problem. I turn the key and it will not turn over. When I replaced ignition switch and programed it, like it stated. 10 mins in the on position...etc.. My security light flahed and all that. Well it still is having the same problem. Except now when I do the 10 min wait game my security light does not flash. It comes on and goes out. However once the car gets started it will start everytime for that day. What the heck people.
  • rdeschenerdeschene Member Posts: 331
    edited December 2011
    This past spring we too had a water leak in the front passenger footwell of our 2000 Alero. We're not sure when it started, as we had the car parked in our garage most of the time. Last March, we moved from Ontario to Nova Scotia and don't have a garage here. The first thing we noticed was that the AC/heater fan stopped working.

Hubby removed the molding underneath (thinking it might be the blower motor resistor gone out yet again), and water spilled out. We also noticed water pooling in the passenger-side footwell, and we could see drips and feel dampness behind the carpet along the firewall. Initially our mechanic thought it was a problem with the case that houses the AC/heater fan; he thought the silicone sealant had cracked loose from its cover. So he pulled off the old silicone and applied more, but we still had the leak.

Hubby also noticed that the rubber seal at the base of the windshield, on the right-hand side, moved slightly when he touched it, so we took it to Apple Auto Glass. He did two things: redid the silicone seal around the lid of the AC/heater fan, and also completely resealed the rubber trim around the windshield. We're not sure which worked, but since then we have had no rainwater leaking in. I tend to think it was the loose windshield trim, since the housing had been recaulked once, and we noticed the loose section on the windshield seal after that.
  • loml1403loml1403 Member Posts: 1
    Hello, I have a '99 olds alero and it has been making a rattling noise that goes away when in neutral. However, just a couple days ago it started to sound like a remote control car. its especially bad when making turns or accelerating. If anyone can help, Id really appreciate it. Im due to have a baby in 4 weeks and am scared to death my car isnt going to make it.
  • wehkahwehkah Member Posts: 4
    If it's only while you are driving and gets worse when turning around corners I would have your wheel bearings checked. I have a 2004 alero with 99K miles on it and have replaced both front wheel bearings with Timkin bearings.
  • hatealero01hatealero01 Member Posts: 2
    Hello 02bluespurro,
    I just got my alero back from the shop for the car stalling randomly.
    It was the fuel pump that was not working right. You needed to bring thear pump stalling in. I recommended you drive the car around close to the auto body shop and wait intell it dies. thats what i did, they where able to find out that the fuel pump at times would stop working after. the fuse for the pump popped.
  • dwrainedwraine Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Alero Coupe V6, with only 63,000 miles. I'm used to various yellow warning lights coming on and going off every once in a while (i.e., Service Engine Soon, Low Tire Pressure, check oil, etc.), but last night a red warning light came on for the engine along with an audible dinging noise that was constant. Assuming the temperature reading was correct, the car was not over heated, the temp was fine. I've only driven 6,000 miles since I bought the car in 2006. I've only had to add a little oil since buying the car, it didn't even need a full quart. When I checked the oil, it was not dark or anything, it looks to be just fine. I looked in the service manual for help, but it doesn't really offer or explain much to help. I'm scared to death to even try starting my car, afraid my engine will blow up or I'll cause severe damage. I'm on disability with a very limited income, hoping to avoid some expensive auto repair I can't afford. Any comments or help is greatly appreciated. Thank you.
  • sojo25sojo25 Member Posts: 2
    The best thing to do first is to Check for faulty codes, this can be done for free by bringing your vehicle to auto zone and ask them if they can run a diagnostic with their scantool, there's got to be a Faulty code stored in the ECU, also i know Aleros are known for lighting the cluster up like a christmas tree with warning lights and what not for no reason what so ever i was a Alero owner for 5 years and can speak for personal experience, but it could be something else going on and a scan tool is the FIRST step to take and will tell you if there's something going on with your vehicle then go from there...