Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge Caravan/Chrysler Voyager

Comments

• geoduckgeoduck Member Posts: 52
    The second row captain's chairs in our 2001 T&C LXi do tumble over to allow better access to the rear. I don't believe that they lock down that way, but would remain so if cargo steadily pushes forward.

The rear split bench seats also fold down and tumble over. Don't recall if they lock down as we have two toddler/booster seats installed, but I think they do.

We have had one of the 2nd row chairs removed for months as it liberates lots of space and lets the little kids scramble back into their own seats real easily. In addition, gaining more space is real easy by removing the remaining captain's chair. In the case of longer items inappropriate for the roof rack, we just pop out a split bench half and move a kid to the available captain's chair. This meets our needs better than a magic seat would have.
  • larrysherlarrysher Member Posts: 7
    Has anyone found out whether there is a Technical Service Bulletin on the 2100rpm resonance?
    -Larry
    Naples, NY
  • rolfe2rolfe2 Member Posts: 81
    larrysher --

See my post #914 on 16 April, if you haven't already. I haven't heard any news since. (No TSB yet, that I'm aware of.)

I'd sure like to hear if someone else can confirm my findings.

--rolfe.
  • ingramwd2ingramwd2 Member Posts: 15
    You probably got a better deal. The colour of ours is Inferno Red.

No, I haven't talked to Davidson Chrysler about 2100 rpm noise. Wife says she doesn't notice it at all and doesn't want it taken to the dealer unnecessarily! (she's the primary driver of this vehicle).

The only other issue I have is the snowflake sign (to indicate the rear A/C is on) doesn't seem to go away in the auto mode. I read someone else mentioning this on the T&C LX/LXi/LTD message board. But it also could be due to the weather being warm and daughter has it at 19-20°C all the time.

Re: Davidson service, I have found them to be better overall than my previous dealer. They are actually closer to me - the "neighbourhood" dealer since I live at the south east end of Scarborough (West Hill lakeshore on the Pickering border). What made you come to them all the way from Yonge & Sheppard?
  • david872david872 Member Posts: 11
    Hi folks - I've read several posts regarding the 2100 rpm noise. I just bought a 2001 T&C LXI and took it on the first trip and noticed what I call a "high pitch humming" noise at about 75 mph. It starts and then will go away if you speed up or slow down. If you put the cruise control on it seems to faded in and out, but pretty much will stay there. I take it this is different from the roof rack noise? I saw someone give a NTSC 00063 and a TSB 23-002-01 - are they for the roof rack? I e-mailed DC and a Mr. Lee Brown called me today to say he has never heard of this problem, but he is only one of over 200 agents who answers mail. I told him of the posts I've seen. He said he knows of no tech bulletins. My dealer said they have never heard of it either and they cannot test drive a vehicle above speed limit of 70 mph. Any additional info anyone has would be appreciated.
  • fcas2004fcas2004 Member Posts: 15
    I test drove both versions of the T&C Limited this weekend. On a steady uphill road I distinctly noticed the 2100rpm sound with the AWD; not with the FWD. My wife heard the same sounds sitting in a middle seat. Temperature was about 65F. I'm still on the fence about which to order. Will the vibration cause more problem down the road? I may opt for snow tires in the winter if I go with the FWD. My other concern is the towing package; something I will not need. All the Limiteds on the lot had this option. I will purchase some version of the Limited within the next several weeks. Any thoughts are appreciated.
  • ingramwd2ingramwd2 Member Posts: 15
    We got the towing package (AHT) because it includes the heavy duty cooling (NMC) and not for actual towing. NMC helps on long summer trips, especially with A/C on for prolonged periods. The difference between the two options on LTD is negligible since it comes standard with load levelling and full-size spare tire.

All LTDs I have seen at my dealer had AHT and 4-disc CD changer (RDW). I guess it makes sense considering the low cost to include these useful options on this trim level.

We have a LTD FWD (10 days old, 700 km) and I am the only one in the family to notice the 2100 rpm resonance noise. Even to me, it is not at unacceptable levels. In fact, wouldn't have noticed it had I not read the posts here and started paying careful attention.
  • carleton1carleton1 Member Posts: 560
    We love our 99 GC SE but feel 2001 are not as nice except in top of the line trim levels. I also think the dash of the earlier models is more attractive than 2001 DC minivans.
    The larger cargo area in the Odyssey would have been better for us on recent trip as all of the luggage (food, etc) would have fit behind the 3rd seat whereas in our GC we had to put some between Quad seats and sliding doors. The more comfortable seats of Sienna would have also been nice.
    However, I would NOT trade the exquisite comfort provided by Dual Zone Temp (Triple Zone for 2001) for the nicer features the Sienna and Ody have.
    DC reliability is as good or better than Odyssey although Sienna may have the edge by the slimest of margins.
    That trip computer/compass/outside temperature display in overhead console is another nice feature where Chrysler/Dodge are infinitely superior to the competition.
    27.5 MPG on a round trip (and 23.5 MPG average in 27067 miles)having the comfortable space of a Grand Caravan with 3.3L lets me laugh at the recent price increases of gasoline. We will NOT give up the comfort of a minivan until gasoline gets over $4.00 a gallon.
  • gramom123gramom123 Member Posts: 1
    This is my 2nd DC mini. The first one was a little bare bones, but I never had any problems. This one is loaded & I love the great new options. The sliding doors and hatch are so very useful loading kids and groceries. I almost bought a $40K-plus SUV instead, and I am so happy I didn't. The console is extremely useful too. Minivans are considered a little "down market" around here, but I am proud of my versatile, "anti-status symbol"! While my kids are small, I don't think I will ever buy a car that doesn't have automatic doors again.
    Noticed at the parking lot of the Best Western Park Place International in Anaheim that more than half of minivans were Grand Caravan...with all 2001 GC being the Grand Caravan Sport. A few Chevy Ventures and Ford Windstars were also there. Did not see one Odyssey or Sienna. Parked our 99 GC SE next to a 2001 GC Sport and I like the styling of my 99 better than the 2001... both exterior and interior.
    I cannot understand why DC put an ugly narrow black rub strip on the side of the Sport instead of the more attractive color coordinated strip in prior years. The seats look cheaper than earlier Sport and the vertical accent of center console is not as attractive.
    The most offensive change was the absense of the beloved Trip Computer. On the other hand, the Triple Zone Temp would be an improvement over my Dual Zone where rear passengers get temperature selected for the driver.
    The DC cheapskate changes are causing me to want to hang on to my 99 GC SE for a long time... and to more seriously consider Sienna or Odyssey as possible next minivan.
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    How often do you have seperate settings for your dual zone climate control? I've had this feature in previous vehicles and, about 90% of the time, I found that both zones were set to the exact same temperature.

The trip computer, at least in my van, displays the compass, outside temperature, average fuel economy, instantaneous fuel economy, distance to empty, odometer, and elasped time since startup. I could use the outside temperature, as well as the average and instaneous fuel economy. The rest I could do without. The last two are just toys to impress people with in my case, and nothing more ;-)

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • wevkwevk Member Posts: 179
    Aesthetics aside, I have found our 2001 T&C better in every way compared to our 96. I read somewhere that it costs Chrysler $1,000 more to build the 2001 models than the previous ones.
  • tomtomtomtomtomtom Member Posts: 491
    Ody and Sienna don't have the things you mentioned neither. As for styling, I personally do not like the two Japanese vans when compares to my 2001 T&C.
  • fit2btidefit2btide Member Posts: 5
    My wife and I just went to test drive a 2001 GC. The exterior changes are fine, but the interior, especially the dash, looks too boxy. We both think our 98's black and tan dash is much nicer with it's smooth curves and gently rounded edges. And the logo on our steering wheel is nicely subdued rather than the new in-your-face ram logo. The 2001 isn't too much different, but has more distinct angles and appears cheaper overall. It almost turned us off from a new van completely, and probably would have if it weren't for the practicality of having one with our 3 young kids, and the fact that we've had such a good experience with our 98. But, our lease is up and I prefer to get a new vehicle.
  • dave210dave210 Member Posts: 242
    If I'm not mistaken, doesn't the Odyssey LX and Toyota Sienna LE have the same black strips or moldings along the side that you are talking about? If I'm not mistaken, you have to move up to the Odyssey EX, Toyota Sienna XLE, Dodge Grand Caravan EX, the Dodge Grand Caravan ES, or ANY of the Town & Country's to get body colored moldings. Also I believe the 1999 Dodge Grand Caravan SE's (like the one you have) have black bumpers and black side moldings that are equally or more pronounced than the small black strip on the 2001 Sports. I'm not interrogating you, but wouldn't it be like the pot calling the kettle black if you kept on saying how you are going to hold onto your 99 GC SE because of these flaws in the 2001's? Also, although I know you won't want to hear this, but the new EX GC is a far better buy in terms of features when compared to a GC Sport, even though it comes with a power seat and power hatch that you don't like. Too bad though it doesn't have a trip computer, but in my LTD I usually only use the temp read out settings, for the other stuff seems a little gimmicky (but okay to have) to me. Anyway, the Odyssey and Sienna both don't even offer a temp read out and compass, let alone a trip computer, when looking at the models you're looking at.
    drew: We have same readouts on our 99 GC as you have on your van. I always have my temperature much warmer than my wife (both of us 63 years old)which is just the opposite of when we were younger. I switch back and forth from compass/outside temp, avg economy, and instant economy. I could do without the DTE. It was nice to see it was 10 hrs 45 minutes from Anaheim to home with elapsed time feature.
    Others: I think T&C more attractive now than GC in all comparable trim levels. YES...our 99 GC SE has a WIDE black rub strip and black bumpers. I feel the color coordinated 99 GC Sport is far more attractive. Correct about Ody and Sienna rub strips being black on all but EX and XLE. I feel DC minivans are still the most attractive but not as nice looking as pre-2001 from any angle. T&C still as attractive as pre-2001....Dodge are not (in my opinion).

While getting Oil and Oil Filter change today I sat inside a gorgeous dark blue/gray 2001 ES made Oct 4 at 7 AM. The Sales Manager did not believe me when I asked why it had sat here for 6 months so she looked at computer....sure enough...200 days in the inventory. She said people get scared when MSRP is over $30,000.
    The seats of 2001 ES are MORE comfortable than our 99 SE (except for middle 3rd seat)and the middle of 3rd 50/50 split seat is comfortable ...but not as much as either end. I would love the Triple Zone Temp better than our Dual Zone. I am just irritated that DC took off my beloved Trip Computer on all but ES as I feel it a VERY NICE feature and well worth the price.
    BTW: Trip computer showed 29.2 AVG MPG when leaving Calif 57 at Katella Blvd and 687 trip miles. Dropped to only 27.5 MPG when we left interstate at our daughters at 1345 trip miles. Going uphill with a headwind consumes alot of fuel and the extra torque of 3.8L would have been very nice. It read 31.1 MPG enroute when left interstate at 25.5 trip miles to get passengers and 28.2 MPG when we re-entered. The avg mileage gradually rose back to 29.8 at St. George Utah but dropped to 29.2 at Calif 57 and Katella. It is very interesting to see how much the average mileage is affected by stop and go and city driving.
    You shouldn't be playing the trip computer too much while driving the van. It is almost as bad as talking on the cell phone : -)
    I need to develop more self control while driving our very nice GC. It would be nicer and safer if DC put the controls for the Overhead Console on the steering wheel with the readout placed inside the instrument cluster.
    Apparently the title of the 1999 Caravan brochure titled "We thought of everything" is not correct.
  • BKSuttonBKSutton Member Posts: 23
    Drew - In response to #975 this is most likely varies among all owners. I've seen many posts who think this option is a waste.

Quite frankly my wife and I love the feature in her Volvo. We have different settings much of the time. She often tends to be colder than I am, hence she sets her side higher. And it does work. I'm not cooked while she's comfortable.

This is one feature that makes a Chrysler more of a choice than the Honda. People who commute around town may not notice the usefulness of the feature- but on longer trips its very nice.

If you and your wife often agree on climatic conditions you may not find you change it that often.
    -- BKS
  • BKSuttonBKSutton Member Posts: 23
    Way back 30 posts or so there was a brief up-roar about the magic seat. Nifty feature yes. A shortcoming many people fail to mention in reviews is the complete unavailability of a full size spare and no easy place to put the flat. It won't fit where the spare came from in the Odyssey.

If I'm on a road trip and get a flat I'd much rather be able to throw a legitmate full size tire on the vehicle than a dinky spare. And I also wouldn't have to worry about reconfiguring cargo and/or people so I can put the flat tire inside the van since it won't fit in the well between the first and second row seats.
    -- BKS
    Well it all comes down to personal preferences, doesn't it? People who have never felt the need to fiddle with the climate control settings probably won't count it as an advantage in the Chrysler over the Honda. Thank you both for your comments.

Carry on,

Drew
    Host
  • dfsykesdfsykes Member Posts: 11
    FYI - here is my recent purchase info for anyone getting close to a purchase. I ordered from the factory an Lxi AWD loaded with all options. the negotiations consisted of 2 e-mails back and forth followed by a 10 minute phone conversation. The price was invoice (including a $475 regional advertising fee)less $2000 for consumer rebate (no financing) less $500 for dealer cash incentive for a total of $2,500 below invoice. I think I could have done better if I was willing to go through the torture of negotiating at the dealership. I think it is clear that very good deals are available with very little effort due to the slow sales of this vehicle. If anyone has additional questions I will try to help. Thanks to all in this forum who helped me in recent months.
  • rolfe2rolfe2 Member Posts: 81
    For those of you who, like me, are waiting for a fix to the 2100 rpm resonance problem in the 2001 AWD models, here is what my technician told me yesterday. DC has identified the problem -- an underdesigned shaft coming out of the power take-off unit. He said that at certain frequencies it "flops around like a noodle" (probably an exaggeration) and transmits vibration to the driveline.

He has heard that a fix will be available in the September timeframe. (Note this is later than the "summer" timeframe I reported I'd heard earlier.)

Once again, I can't vouch for the accuracy of this information -- you should confirm it with your zone rep.

--rolfe.
    will not consider the extra cargo space and "Magic Seat" an advantage of Odyssey such as do the Edmund's reviewers. Personally, I find the Dual Zone (now Triple Zone) Temperature Control far more desirable than the extra cargo space.
    If I want to buy 5 sheets of 4' x 8' plywood should I keep the "magic seats" up or make it flat with the floor?... I have asked this question in Ody vs. DC but nobody answers. Since most of the "magic seats" owners comes in DC's forum, I thought I should post the question here.
    If I recall correctly from Consumer Reports, you can fold the 3rd row seat into the floor for that task, or you can flip foward the 2nd and 3rd row seatbacks and place the wood on top of the seatbacks instead.

Drew
    Host
    I guess the DC van can take the same amount of plywood as the Ody since the "magic seats" don't really save the 2nd row for passenger.
    Well no, of course the wood won't fit behind the 2nd row. The minivans are not long enough to transport 8 feet of wood inside like that. You'll need a full-size van or a pickup truck for that. What I've done is just secure it to the roof of the van. The hardware store is only about 10 minutes away from home, so it's not too tough. :-)

Drew
    Host
  • h20guyh20guy Member Posts: 64
    since my oddy is only good for hauling plywood I am going to sell it and buy a DC O.K. get a clue people we all have our own needs. open your eyes.
  • h20guyh20guy Member Posts: 64
    Edmonds is getting very redundent and borring. Please kick it up a notch.
    No, your Ody not even good for hauling plywood because if you make the magic seats flat with the floor you have to take out the 2nd row in order to have the plywoods lay flat on the floor. For those of you who buy sheet rock and plywood every week...buy a truck.

P.S. Now I know where to post message that is related to Ody...in a DC's forum
  • rudy1000rudy1000 Member Posts: 21
    Hi,
    I am in the market for a new mini-van.Just saw a little 2001 caravan at the lights and man what an atrractive mini-van,I couldn't stop looking at the thing.Does anyone tow a tent trailer with the smaller 3.3(around 1500 lbs.)

Appreciate any comments!!
  • hayneldanhayneldan Member Posts: 657
    the towing capacity of the 2001 Caravan varies with engine size. The capacity with the 3.8V6 is 3800 lbs.
  • lsherlsher Member Posts: 29
    I'm settled on buying a I&I Lei WAD, but I'm concerned about the 2100 ram resonance--not only the immediate annoyance but the long term durability of the parts that are too noodle. What I'd like to know is whether there is any kind of guarantee from DC that a vehicle purchased now will be fixed under the warranty when the fix becomes available.
    -Larry
    Napes, NY
    Very few manufacturers or dealers are nearly as prompt to fix something after they have your money as they are to make the sale.
  • lsherlsher Member Posts: 29
    Sorry about the spelling in message #998. I wrote it correctly, then stupidly tried out Edmunds horrible "Check Spelling." When this "checker" munged my post but offered to leave it as in the original text, I studied the offer very carefully, then accepted the offer to keep the spelling as I wrote it. The pending (30 minutes to cancel) message came up as I wrote it. This morning, I see that overnight the spelling corrector had its way with me. The message should read:

I'm settled on buying a T&C LXi AWD, but I'm concerned about the 2100 rpm resonance--not only the immediate annoyance but the long term durability of the parts that are too noodley. What I'd like to know is whether there is any kind of guarantee from DC that a vehicle purchased now will be fixed under the warranty when the fix becomes available.

Has anyone who has complained to his/her dealer about this problem been told that it will be fixed under warranty when the fix becomes available?
    -Larry
    Naples, NY
  • DTKWOKDTKWOK Member Posts: 131
    Answering your question by referring to h20guy's previous comments, we all have different needs. With that said, yes, the DC can hold as much plywood as the Ody, but which one would be easier to configure to do that? Why would I need a truck to get ply wood when I have a van, unless of course you're going to be hauling concrete or cinder blocks...
    Okay a little info on one of my hobbies, I play paintball somewhat regularly. Going to the field with the magic seat down ONLY, I usually take 6 other people's gear (guns, compressed cylinders -CO2 and nitro, paintballs, etc...) while 5 people go in another vehicle. At the end of the day, most of our supplies are used up, so we load the equipment on the other vehicle. Now just fold up the magic seat and voila! (sp?) 4 more people get to ride with me. The "people van" usually goes for food while the cargo car goes home, and drops off the equipment to join us for dinner. Try doing that in a DC.... So, even if you're not hauling 4 x 8's the magic seat works for me, again, different people, different needs.

DTKWOK
    Now this is an answer for a question.
  • blukensblukens Member Posts: 8
    Hello all,

My wife and I were concerned about the noise at 2100 rpm on the AWD T & C. We had ordered one last month, and then started reading about the vibration/noise.

We took delivery at noon today and drove 250 miles, mostly highway, with a short detour through a winding section of the Blue Ridge Parkway. We heard no unusual vibration or noise at any speed, and I was listening carefully at the 2000-2300 RPM area. Everything was smooth and quiet.

This is a Limited AWD, with everything except heated seats. Trailer towing package/4 CD changer.

I drove on I-81 for 2.5 hours and tried hard to get it to make an unusual sound or vibration.
    Everything on mine is fine.

It was put through the assembly line in Windsor May 2 through 4 and railroaded it NC, thence to Bedford, VA, where I picked it up at Dominion Chrysler.

Maybe they fixed it?

I'll keep listening.

For those of you who had the vibration/noise-
    Did it start later in the life of the van or was it evident from the first day?

Bill (Very pleased with the first day!)
  • fcas2004fcas2004 Member Posts: 15
    Blukens,

Outside temperature is an important factor in hearing the noise; the lower the temp the louder the noise. I test drove 2 AWDs, once at 50F and the second time at 60F. As best that I can compare, it was louder at 50F.

Good luck with it.
  • veritasveritas Member Posts: 17
    Has anyone else noticed that the last (and only) report on Edmunds' long term test 2001 Dodge GC ES was on March 8?

I have to wonder if it has been off the road so much that they haven't yet managed to get any actual on-the-road testing done. (grin)
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    This one? (looks like there's one for April with a 4/30/01 date on it).

Long-Term Road Test

Note the warped rotors problem at the bottom :-)

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • cpalmer87cpalmer87 Member Posts: 2
    I am about to purchase a 2001 GC Sport with "9" miles on the odometer. It has to be sold as "used" because, as it shows on the sticker, it was manufactured under Canadian specs/rules (Daytime Running Lights, etc). Are these vehicles great or am I making a mistake? Plus, I was told the only change was switching the speedometer cluster to US specs... could this have more miles on it than "9" (everything looks/smells new & in plastic)??? And will it be covered by the DC warranty until 3 yrs/36k miles? I'm saving about 5,000 by doing this - is it worth it????? Thanks in advance..........
  • cpalmer87cpalmer87 Member Posts: 2
    Did DC honor the warranty after the speedo cluster was swapped? The salesman/owner of the used dealership said they would, but he doesn't work for DC, so I don't know if I believe him or not....

Also, on the new vehicle sticker, it said "This vehicle is manufactured to meet specific Canadian requirements and not manufactured for sale outside of Canada". I'm wondering if Canadian specs are worse/same/better than the US specs (reinforced doors etc)? Are they safer or what?

I can still back out of this deal --- wondering if I should or not.?.?.?
  • veritasveritas Member Posts: 17
    Steve - I don't know how you get to page 2 of the long term test of the Dodge GC ES, but I can't.

If I click on the link you provide, I get a message saying page not found. If I go through the normal steps and reach the first page of the long term test, I can find nothing that tells me there is another page or how to turn the page. If I just try adding the page002.html onto the end of the first page url, I get that same message that the page isn't found.

I notice that the link address of the page you point me to is:

http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/longterm/articles/45220/page002.html

But the first page of the long term test I arrive at the normal way is:

http://www.edmunds.com/roadtests/longtermroadtests/2001/dodge/grand/45220/

I don't keep cached pages when I exit my browser(Opera), so I shouldn't be just pulling up some old page.

I never have this problem when going to the Honda Odyssey long term test, so I am at a loss to explain this one!

I have no problems getting to the other long term road test pages for Edmunds.com's '01 Grand Caravan ES. Please try this URL again:

http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/longterm/articles/45220/article.html

Hope this helps!

Drew
    Host
  • ed12ed12 Member Posts: 100
    Folks:

I notice that short wheelbase minivans are very popular in Canada. Can you get the options on the short wheelbase in Canada that are not available in the USA(e.g., traction control)
  • sheik2001sheik2001 Member Posts: 1
    Many thanks to the guys who helped me with issue several posts back. I took it into the dealer after they originally said there was no problem. I gave them the TSB number and they addmitted that there was a problem and would replace the roof rack. Thanks again!
  • bev15bev15 Member Posts: 3
    A while back, others were talking about steering problems. I still can't get mine fixed and was wondering if anyone else had luck yet.

My problem is that when I turn the wheel, I feel/hear a grinding sound coming from the steering wheel. They have replaced the steering column and the rack. I am still having the exact same problem.

Thanks,
    Bev
  • dwgutwirdwgutwir Member Posts: 132
    We're thinking about purchasing a Dodge Caravan ES, but a couple of questions came up that I haven't been able to find answers to. I thought somone here might have them.

1. Is the power split on the AWD model fixed at 90% front, 10% rear or is there some variability if one axle has more traction?

2. What is the main difference between the touring and regular suspensions, and does it make a major difference in the handling?

Thanks.