Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Oldsmobile Alero

Comments

• timothy777timothy777 Member Posts: 7
    Can someone pls tell me what stereo system comes standard with the GL4 model. I can tell via GMBuypower that there are still a few 2001 GL4s around ~ but I'm getting conflicting info regarding the standard stereo system that comes with the special pkg (100 watt w/ CD only or 200 watt w/ cass & CD). Also, would be curious to know if any GL4 buyers still feel that it was a good value for them. Thx in advance!!! ~ Tim
  • fclspatfclspat Member Posts: 61
    I'm not in dire need of a new car, but I figured w/ Olds going under I could get into a stripped Alero for around $14k (including sales tax). I figured a 5 spd would be a thrill....

But I can only find one 5 spd GX sedan within 50 miles of NYC. I'm hoping to grab this one...

But if anyone comes across one on a dealers lot, let me know!
  • dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    See 5-speed GX's advertised regularly in the paper here in the Toronto area. Last lot I visited had 2 of them. 5-speed isn't very popular, but there is some demand. I have heard it works very well with the 2.4.
  • rldas1rldas1 Member Posts: 3
    I get good gas mileage (see post #522) and this is how I do it. Living in a small town, it is easy to drive conservatively. First, I overinflate my tires by 3-5 psi. In order to assure myself this was safe, I overinflated one rear tire by 20psi and then proceeded to take a long 300 mile trip on I-75. No problems and now I have less rolling resistance. Second, I keep the interior clean (ie no lugging around extra weight if it can be avoided). My mother is a school teacher and she's always carrying around extra books(previous editions too!). Third, I wash and hand wax my Alero approximately every 3 fill-ups. I think this is mostly psychological. Fourth, I time traffic lights and it helps that I know the timing sequence of many of my city's traffic lights. I don't wish to annoy other drivers so if I'm being followed I'll suspend this technique and accelerate. Fifth, I avoid quick starts on most occasions. Highway driving? In such cases I draft fast moving trucks. Sixth, my car is a party car and I don't drive it to work (I ride my bicycle). My car is used mostly for going out with friends and road trippin'! Rarely will you see me alone in my car. Why else would I buy a 4 door sedan?

Sometimes it's a pain to drive this way (it takes more concentration to gauge lights ahead, traffic behind, closing rates, etc), but it's kinda fun. I used to speed 'cause it was fun, but I got tired of the speeding tickets. So I guess this is my new game!

I went to undergrad at the University of Michigan and there's no way I could drive like this in the greater Detroit area. Farmington Hills, Royal Oak, Ypsi, Southfield, Dearborn... no way! I'd be in fear of road rage!
  • yurakmyurakm Member Posts: 1,345
    It is usually up to driving style to overinflate tires by about 3 psi, and about 5 psi is OK. But 20 psi is very dangerous.

First of all, this is probably higher than the maximum pressure the tire will hold reliable - as stated on its sidewall. The pressure usually is about 10-15 psi higher than what is recommended by the car manufacturer. Overinflated. tire can blow-up easy when cut a bit by road debris etc.

Second, I have a very bad experience, when my tires were overinflated when I changed oil at dealership. Probably the employee who is performing such kind of jobs is not a certified mechanic. He inflated the tires to the "sidewall maximum" - about 10 psi higher than what is recommended.

The first day it was great. A good, dry weather. A bit stiff tires, but I like to feel the road.

However, the following day was different. Strong rain with some snow, strong winds. I had to get to the next city, about 40-45 miles by highway. And the car did not want to hold in its lane! It was rather hard to drive: had to correct direction constantly. It was a rush time, dense traffic.

The next morning I checked the pressure and realized what happened.
    I never thought about buying in Canada. Any idea if there are issues importing one to the US?

What does a 5pd GX sedan go for in Canada?

Now I'm desperate as the only 5spd I found within 75 miles of my home in GMBuyPower is sold!
    I know people do it, but I'm not sure how difficult it is in terms of paper work.

2001 Alero GX in yesterday's paper for C$18995 cash price excluding freight. That's about U$12900. You would probably get your sales taxes back if you applied.
    Noticed a new JD Power study that shows Alero came in third (after Altima and Malibu) in initial quality for entry level mid-size cars. Not bad!
    Can you give me the name of an Olds dealer you trust in the great white north?

Also do GM card rebates word in Canada?

Sil
    Don't think you can use the U.S. GM card here. I think they are separate, but I may be wrong.

I like Humberview Chev Olds near Toronto.

1-800-236-1621 or (416) 236-1011 if the toll-free doesn't work in the U.S.
  • teragramteragram Member Posts: 7
    Dire news for stick lovers--my dealer has been pressing GM for my 5spd GX and was just informed that GM is going to honor all the orders for stick shifts made so far, but after this month will not make any more. If you want a stick, quit diddling around and get one NOW. As for my car, it just arrived in the Port of Baltimore and should be available for me to pick up by the end of next week. Week six and counting...

Why, in this era of fuel-consciousness, are American cars not being made with 5spd transmissions anymore?
    A girl in the office wanted a 5-speed Civic and had the same experience. They had 12 in stock, all automatics. She had to wait 3 weeks if she wanted the stick. She ended up buying a 5-speed Neon instead.
  • skibry1skibry1 Member Posts: 174
    Having a left leg flexor myself, I too wonder why there aren't many Decent choices
    among the Big 4. I thoughly enjoy picking when to shift for optimum Zoom/Zoom!
    I had gotten real excited back in oct '99 when I discovered Olds was puttin' a
    clutch with a 2.4 !! Hope was quickily dashed when none could be found in Miss.
    River Valley. I never thought of the Great White North. I was discouraged by the
    problems they had with the German Designed, Assembled in Italy Getrag Tranny.
    Is this 5 Speed in any other GM products?
    Getrag can also be found in the Grand Am and Z24 Cavalier matted to the 2.4 twin cam.
    Must've updated GM Buypower over the weekend as I see at least 7 Alero GX 5 spd sedans in the northeast (from Boston to Philly) that weren't there last week. Hope to trounce on one (at invoice - or close to it) real soon.

BTW.. why are so many of these in Silver?
    Was at the local lot Sunday on my way home and saw they had one midnight blue GX 5-spd coupe with aluminum wheels. Nice looking car!

Not sure why they are all silver. Silver is popular these days though.
    I'm not one for Silver or Gray cars (IMO)...

And I just helped my mom get a Blue 4dr GX (automatic of course)... so I'm looking for any other color.

So, I found one Ruby and one Black (each about 75 miles away from my home... in opposite directions, of course).

I'll go to the lowest bidder. So far the Black is at $125 over invoice.

Anyone familiar with these GM loyalty rebates? I own a '00 GMC Yukon (and I did own a '76 Cutlass - it went 240k miles!). Trying to sqweeze every last cent I can out of this deal (oh, did I mention I'll try for the college grad rebate... so what if I'm 35... I did get my MBA last year).
  • buoyantbuoyant Member Posts: 128
    Is there anyone else that's heard this talk about no more 5-spd Aleros being built after this month? I'm kind of hoping it's a bunch of typical dealer "get you to buy today" bunkum and not the truth. I kind of narrowed down my next car purchase to two options: a Dodge Neon or an Alero. I'm still not ready to buy today, but I'd like to think I'll have more than one option when judgement day arrives.

I have no interest in picking up the Cavalier or Grand Am with the same tranny/engine combo. I'd much rather have a Neon than either of those two plastically enhanced Scooby-Doo mobiles. Speaking of the little Pontiac runabout, has anyone here ever looked at the dash on a new Grand Am - not to mention the Battlestar Galactica aero wing on the heine? Who is designing these clown cars, Roger Rabbit?

I'm kind of hoping the Olds dealer with whom teragram spoke was just as informed as dealers usually are. A general rule of thumb is that if you read monthly auto publications such as Motor Trend and Car & Driver, you're at least as informed as the brightest guy working the floor at your local GM dealership.

With that said, I also know that May-June is typically the time when the manufacturers start switching over for the new model year and stop taking orders for the current one. I.e., you can't do an order-out on a new Oldsmobile until August if you wait until the 1st of June. If you want a new one during this 2 month window (from the beginning of June until the end of August), you have to pick a 2001 out of dealer inventory (which is almost a shoe-in to be one of two pea green brass hat models sitting on the showfloor since November). Perhaps this is what the dealer meant? Please, tell me my hope is not in vain. If so, Dodge Neon, here we come.
    Actually, the 2001 Z24 is pretty slick looking and it has zero plastic cladding on it. They even have a free power sunroof offer on now.
  • rkw2rkw2 Member Posts: 66
    I just found out that the local dealer where I purchased my 2000 ALero last August has stopped selling and servicing Oldsmobiles. The closest Olds dealer is about 20 miles away. According to Olds press releases, servicing was to continue indefinately. I hope this is not the beginning of a trend. I guess I can go to a local Pontiac dealer as the Alero is a twin of the Grand Am. But I am annoyed.
  • killer3killer3 Member Posts: 13
    Hi everyone! Has anyone had any issues with squealling coming from belt/pulleys on thier six cylinder Alero's. While I find this very normal for the old oldsmobiles I grew up driving, my girlfriend feels like she has a reject car because of the squelling. It seems to come and go, does anyone know of any service buletins or likely casues of this noise? The car still drives great, and the torque is wonderful, it is often a guilty pleasure driving her car after spending the week tooling around in my 528 which has less low-end torque. Anyone thinking of buying an Alero, go for it!, no other car in its price range compares.
    Does that dealer still sell GM? If so, they have to service it. Then again, if they don't want to, maybe it's better not to go there any more.
  • blackyblacky Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone been having transmission problems with their Alero? Mine was shifting on its own when it wanted. The Dealer tried to repair it twice and finally replaced it. It is still not right and I'll be going back again. Only now with another noise in front end that sounds like shocks but could be the beginning of brake problems. They had to lower the front end to replace the cranny and redo the alignment. The mileage was 43,000KM. It just so happens that someone
    at work had the exact same problem and had theirs also replaced at 56,000KM. My concern now is if this is going to be
    a problem that occurs every two years until CM sorts out the defect. Any help?
    Transmissions are not usually a problem with GM cars. They make the best in the business. My mom has a 99 Alero with no problems at all. I wonder if something else might be causing the transmission problems?
  • dcnwsdcnws Member Posts: 12
    I would contact the district rep at once. When you buy a new car, you are also buying a part of the service department. I would make no bones about being a very unhappy camper!! I bought my
    Alero at a dealer about 2 hours from home. They had the car on the lot exactly as I wanted it, and the price was right. I will bring it to the local Olds dealer for the first oil change, and see if I can get a rapport with them. If not, I keep my fingers crossed that nothing goes wrong, and if it does, be prepared to make some noise.

DC
  • dcnwsdcnws Member Posts: 12
    Has anyone found mud flaps that look OK? GM wants
    $30 a pair, which I thought was kinda steep. Although I like the looks of the Alero the way it is, with winter driving several months away, I was considering putting some on.

DC
  • skibry1skibry1 Member Posts: 174
    The main problem I have with those custom (made to
    fit ones car)is there is a LIP on the inside bottom of the flap.This seems like a great place
    for snow,slush and other winter stuff to accumulate. We got some 18gauge stainless steel
    and had it cut to fit.Last winter here in West
    Central Ill the flaps preformed well without much
    accumulation.
  • ananuriananuri Member Posts: 3
    I have 2001 Alero GL2 with V6. Once I had more than 1000 miles on, I decided that engine was probably ready for some action. Car was a joy to drive on the highway, brisk acceleration despite automatic. However, somewhere below 110 mph, probably around 106-108, speed governor cut in, what was very annoying. Is that standard on Alero, even with "performance" package (I mean, 16" tires, suspension, etc.), to have governor set below 110? Especially when speedometer is calibrated to 140 mph.
    Should be picking up a 4dr GX 5spd any day now. Found one about 100 miles from my home.

Was wondering if the wiring for the remote keyless entry is in the GX and all that is needed is the key fobs? All other Alero levels have the keyless entry, so I was hoping the wiring was set up already.

Also, if anyone is considering selling their 15 inch Aluminum wheels (that come w/ the GL1 'Feature Package'), I may be interested.
    Anyone out there who has considered one of these vehicles has probably looked at the other as well. Any insights into why the GA SE is a better deal than the Alero GX or vice versa would be appreciated. Is it simply the different style, or is there more than meets the eye?
    Thx in advance.
  • mlm4mlm4 Member Posts: 401
    My girlfriend recently bought an Alero and before we made the decision I compared it with the Grand Am. The biggest difference between the two other than style is that Oldsmobile is offering a free 5 yr./60,000 mi. extended warranty. There are also some differences in option availablity at each trim level but the cars are essentially the same. The Grand Am does offer an extra 5 horses with the Ram Air engine. The overriding factor for us was the styling and at the time a $2,000 rebate not available on the Pontiac, although it appears to be now.
    Picked up my 4dr Ruby 5spd GX in CT on Saturday. Dollar for Dollar a great deal on a fun car ($160 over invoice).

Wondering if the remote keyless entry is prewired in the GX. Anyone know?
  • cpzhangcpzhang Member Posts: 16
    Hi,

I am a new graduate and looking for a new car. I kinda like Grand AM and Alero, but do not know if they are good. I read many reviews and would definitely go to the 3.4L V6, but I do not know if there is any problem with this engine.

Since Olds will phase out pretty soon, it is offering some good deals, like $2000 rebate plus 60/60 warrenty, while Grand Am has only $1500 and 36/36. Do you think it is worthy to go for the Alero?

Thanks.
  • markrnmarkrn Member Posts: 9
    I'm looking to purchase the above with the 3.4 and was wanting feed back from anyone as to how happy they are or if anyone has had any acute problems with their car. Also is the front rotors still a problem with this year? Thanks for any guidance :)
    Congrats! I think we're in the same neck 'o the woods (same county in fact (W_st__r).... Did you pick your car up in Old Saybrook, by chance? Have been looking for a GX 5-spd as well, and they're awfully tough to locate, though I thought I had one - was just awaiting its arrival (grrrr!). I have driven the 5 spd grand am, and can only relate the ride as most likely similar to the GX. Would this be an accurate statement? Is the 5 Spd tranny living up to your expectations? My biggest dislike of the GX on a cosmetic basis is the old-lady hubcaps they stuck on them. Have you per chance explored around for suitable replacements - or the 15" alloys that come on the GLs? Any thoughts/regrets on your experience so far with the GX and your decision to not go for a GL would be appreciated. Thanks 'fclspat'.....for any insights you can provide! ~ Tim
  • ilovestsilovests Member Posts: 16
    I have just recently purchased a Black GL2 with the V-6 and the Sun & Sound package. I have 1,150 miles on it and it is completely awesome. I have had no problems and I cannot believe the build quality. I have no clue where some people have gotten the idea that build quality is spotty at best. They are off their rocker. The Alero is extremely well built.

The only thing that I would have did different is get the power seat, but other than that I am so happy. I ordered my car from the factory and was expecting a 4-5 week wait. It turns out I got my car in under 3 weeks. Unbelievable how fast it came, in fact the dealer was even surprised.

I got my car for aprox. $17,600 with $550 in GM Card points. No other car has so much content and style for the price. I bought mine from Alderman Cadillac Oldsmobile in CT.

I completely recommend this vehicle. There is not another car that comes close for the money you are able to get these cars at today. Even without all the rebates and such I still would have bought this same car. Cars that I shopped extensively before deciding on this were the Hyundai Elantra, Honda Civic, Chev. Malibu/Prizm, Pontiac Grand AM, Saturn LS, Mazda Protege, Nissan Altima/Sentra, and the Toyota Corolla. I also looked into fully loaded used Impalas, Accords, Intrigues and Camry's as they were in the $20,000 range. Many of these cars are nice, but are not as well rounded as the Alero is, at least in my opinion.
  • markrnmarkrn Member Posts: 9
    Hey thanks for the info. Did you get above or below invoice and by how much? thanks md
    MSRP of my car was $21,785 and Invoice was $19,946 and I ended up paying $20,150 without negotiations (remember these prices are before the $2,000 rebate is taken out, I also had $550 in GM points). The whole buying process took no more than 1 hour of paper work and such. It was painless and a very good experience.
  • drumbolddrumbold Member Posts: 22
    I too have a 1999 Alero. It has 18,000 miles on it. The transmission has acted up frequently, it acts as if it is slipping when in reverse and in first gear. One time the dealer replaced a module (?) and the other times (3) the problem couldn't be duplicated.
    I am not really happy with the car. Two months ago it failed to start. I had it towed to the dealer. They had to push it into the shop because they couldn't get it to start. Once in the shop it magically started. Again they could find nothing wrong. I have also had to have various extra parts removed from the passenger door and rear quarter panel that would roll around when accelerating and stopping.
    I have 9 months left on the lease... any takers?
    fclspat : Congrats on the 5-speed. How do you like it so far?

mlm4 : I think the Alero looks better inside and out. Although Oldsmobile will die, the Grand Am will live and so will all the parts you will ever need. Go for the Alero for sure.
    I live in Pelham Manor and yes, I did buy the GX at Harbor Motors in Old Saybrook. They were excellent! I know there is a dealer in Litchfiled County CT with a Blue 4dr GX 5spd (I think they're called Northwest Hills). They wanted $100 over invoice (which is less than I paid) but my mom bought a Blue GX (autromatic of course) so I passed - even though my mother lives 40 miles away.

There are Silver 4dr GX 5spds at Reedman in Langhorne PA and at a dealer in Albany, NY (not to mention a dealer or two in the Boston area). I am not a fan of silver cars.

I took the GX ove the GL as I needed a second car and was looking for something basic (but fun). And this car sure does fit the bill.

I agree the big downside on choosing a GX is the hubcaps (I'm searching for the 15' optioned wheels), the rolldown windows, and no remote keyless entry (trying to figure out if it's prewired).

The 5spd has exceeded all expectation. I've never owned a new 5spd (but I have driven some crappy old Hyundais, Subarus and Hondas) and none have the feel of this car. My wife did buy a new Olds Cutlass International in the 80's that had a stick and she says this is far superior. The car only has 300 miles so I haven't beaten on the gears.... but it's great so far.

Sil
  • mlm4mlm4 Member Posts: 401
    ilovests: I agree with you completely. Both I and my girlfriend love her new Midnight Blue GL2 sedan. It's got the Sun & Sound package as well, the only thing missing is the power driver's seat, although the standard power height adjustment is great. Just over one month and one thousand miles, no problems at all except for chips in the left rear door caused by a rock kicked up by a passing car (first week, very frustrating). The dealer had to order the touch-up paint, it took nine weekdays to arrive. Also ordered the GM Accessories front end cover, and it fits very well - well made.

I think the car is a great value, great styling, great ride, high fun-to-drive factor. I drive a 2000 Pontiac Bonneville SSEi, not exactly in the same class as the Alero but the two cars actually have a lot in common in terms of styling and features and equipment (e.g., both have the Tire Pressure Monitor, Oil Life Monitor, dual driver settings for the RDS radio, and the same Eagle RS-A tires although they are different sizes) - the benefits of shared engineering. As far as build quality I think it is very good but I have the same complaints about the Alero as I do about my Bonnie - cheap interior plastic materials. I can flex the center console with one hand. The Japanese do a much better job, I wish GM would reach their level of quality. Also on the car the paint job is flawed on the top edge of the left rear door, looks like someone touched it before it was dry. But it is barely noticable so it's not worth fussing over.

We bought the car off the lot, I found it using GM BuyPower. The whole transaction including trade-in and negotiations took less than an hour-and-a-half, one of my better car buying experiences (all have been GM).
    We currently have a 99 Cavalier on lease as our second car so I want to replace it next spring with either a small SUV or small/mid-size car. My mom has a 99 Alero and it's been great. I like the idea of the 5-speed, but I think my wife will push for an auto.
  • murrr77murrr77 Member Posts: 30
    I purchased a new 2001 Alero GL2 in April. The MSRP was 21900. It has all options available on the GL2 (pwr seat, sun and sound).

Getting one now is a good idea... $2000 rebate along with a 5yr 60k mile warrenty. I ended up getting mine for $17900 after rebate. Great deal!
  • teragramteragram Member Posts: 7
    Hey now...I gave up on the Blue GX 5spd I've been waiting for this whole time when my dealer told me he had just acquired a silver one. It's gorgeous! It gleams in the sunlight, the bright color shows off the curves in the body better than blue does, and the tail lights looks like jewels set in a silver necklace.

Okay, enough poetry--as you can tell, I got an Alero finally (!). Now, if you want me to comment on its performance, you're out of luck. I broke my left leg and the cast isn't coming off until August 13, so my car's just going to sit in my driveway all summer.

Like I said--stick shift lovers get screwed every way possible these days. :)
    Hey, my not liking Silver is a personal thing. I must be in the minority as all of the 'hot' cars are featured in Silver in their ads.

Get better and enjoy the wheels (boy it must kill you to see that Silver beauty just sitting there idle!)

Best wishes.
    Sil
  • disneydisney Member Posts: 1
    A little over a year ago I purchased my first new car...2000 GL3 Alero. Within two months I had to have the stereo replaced because it wouldn't accept the CD.

The car has been going downhill ever since. A faulty seal in the windshield caused water to leak into the fan, which caused an electrical problem leaving the car without a way to circulate heat in below zero weather. While in the shop, the service department noticed that something in the doors was etching the windows, so they replaced the two door windows. Consequently, a few months later the windows did not roll properly because they came off their rollers/regulators. Then, the rainy season began...so far I've had so much water leak in through the doors that the carpet is bubbling off the floors. It takes the service department over a week just to look at the car. I've had the door seals replaced as well as some gadget in the door fixed as to allow the water to drain through the door properly. I just took the car through the power wash over the weekend, and the water is now leaking through the window seal! Do I even need to mention that the brakes(rotors and pads)were replaced at 19K? The kicker in that situation was the service manager told me that I wouldn't experience power braking for about 100 miles after the service.

Anyone had any luck complaining to Oldsmobile?
  • smileypsismileypsi Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2000 GL3 and the little things have been adding up so far... I had the dome light fall out of the top of the roof (it had to be replaced), rattles coming from the steering column, ocasional leaks in the passenger side (not very common here in the drought ridden south) and best of all...I have had the brakes replaced TWICE and there is only 17K on the car! It gets frustrating having to repeatedly take a new car in to be fixed.
    I still think that the Alero is one of the most beautiful cars built but the seemingly suspect build quality has me wondering if my next car should be a toyota or honda...
    From what I have read and seen (my mom has a 99 Alero), the cars have generally been of decent quality. I have a '00 Intrigue and it's been good also. I guess there are always some problems with cars but it sounds like you guys have more than what would be acceptable.
    My 2001 Alero GL2 has been flawless, granted I am just about to 2,000 miles. There has not been a single problem yet, I took it to the shop at 600 miles to get a oil change and that has been it so far. The build quality is awesome!!! My step-mothers 2000 Alero that has 25,000 miles on it is also flawless so far. It is too bad that you guys are having some problems with your cars. Remember though that every manufacturer has problems. Not every Honda/Toyota is perfect. Some of those leak water too.

Peace..