Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Oldsmobile Alero

Comments

• rdeschenerdeschene Member Posts: 331
    You wrote:

the VW Lupo is not a hybrid. Instead, it's a Diesel-powered super-sub-compact car.

Yes. Exactly. The Lupo is the beginning of high-efficiency conventional vehicles that take advantage of some of the lessons learned from hybrids. For example, I have an engine of 3.4L displacement in my car. Do all cylinders have to be receiving fuel during prolonged stops? Do any?

Bye for now,
    Rick D.
  • mikey00mikey00 Member Posts: 462
    When applying the brake on my 2000 Alero I get a sort of thump, click, or snap type of noise from the brake pedal. It's not very loud and I can also feel it in the pedal. Feels like a worn bushing or something in the pedal assembly. Any ideas? (the rotors were replaced 6 months ago per TSB)
  • dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    Anyone tested out a 2.2L Alero yet?
  • evandroevandro Member Posts: 1,108
    Cadillac tried in the 80s to selectively shut down some cylinders in a V8 on demand. It proved to be a daunting task for the electronics then. GM is working on getting back to this and an updated implementation of that system will debut in a truck, I think next year.
  • jpelderjpelder Member Posts: 235
    I drove a GX with the 2.2 last week. It seems to lack low end torque, but was more than adequate. Very smooth and quiet at highway speeds...in improvement over the 2.4. I drove an automatic, but plan to test one with the 5 speed. Check out Oldsmobile's sport package on the GX...an incredible deal. I plan to order one next month. By the way, it took me 5 minutes to locate the oil filter on the 2.2. It is not the canister type, but fits into the side of the crankcase. This should be much easier to change than those of other GM engines!
    By the way, the 2002 Alero brochure indicates that Ruby Red is not available in the GX sedan. This is definitely not true, since I have seen them at 3 Olds dealers in the past week. In fact, I test drove one.
    They are advertising 2002 2.2L GX's for cash price of C$19,998. That is an automatic with cruise, air, AM/FM/CD and more. Great deals for sure. If we get a car, that's the one we will lease.
    I can't speak for prices in Canada, but that sounds a bit expensive. MSRP for the GX sedan with the features you mentioned is 17800,plus $1000 rebate to the customer. Good luck!
    Actually with the current C$/U$ exchange rate, that works out to be about $13,500 in US$.
    Gee, maybe I should buy my car in Canada?! I wonder if I can use my GM card points up there?
    Doubt it. The Canadian program is totally separate from the US one due to the currency issues. If a Canadian dealer sold to you, it would have to be a cash deal most likely. I know people in the Pathfinder forum have been doing that anyway.
    Yes, I do recall Cadillac's sundry efforts at shutting down cylinders selectively in their early 80's Seville (?). I'm not sure of the particular model.

Anyways consider, however, where basic technology is now compared to then:

(1) a great many cars now have control of the ignition and fuel-injection on each cylinder
    (2) in the early to mid-80's, a 25Mhz 286 was an incredibly fast processor. These days, I can get a 900Mhz Athlon for U.S.$80

I'm aware of GM's attempt to resuscitate this idea in their big trucks, and it'll be interesting to see how well they do. GM, for all its faults, HAS been a driving force of bringing new, practical, (i.e. not necessarily DOHC) features to the large scale market.

Bye for now,
    Rick D.
  • dr_cmbdr_cmb Member Posts: 8
    I'm in my 4th month with the GL1 with V6...and finally took a look at the book that came with i. The oil change thing seems weird---when did you other new Alero owners get your first oil change? Did you wait for the light to come on?
    I had an Alero V6 for 3 years, but it's gone now. Its lease has expired.

For the 1st oil change, I didn't wait for the computer to tell me so, and had it changed at 3000mls. I figured that the computer might malfunction and I didn't want to take chances right after breaking the engine in, when the engine oil and filter get dirtier.

After that, however, I followed the computer's advice. Depending on the weather and on my seasonal driving mood :^), it would advise changes between 5000 and 7000mls.
    I am planning to purchase an Alero in the next few months. I read about the change-oil light and that it needs to be reset. Is this something that has to be done by a mechanic? I have always changed my own oil...I hope this is not one of those idiot lights like ford used to have.

I plan to purchase (need) this alero in January. I'm curious when the $2000 rebate may kick in. The current $1000 rebate is supposed to expire 1/15/02. I seem to remember a $2000 rebate for all of 2001 models during the 2001 calendar year. Anybody here buy an alero early this year that got the $2000 rebate. I'd gladly wait a few weeks to get an additional $1000 dollars!
  • hengheng Member Posts: 411
    when you open the driver's door, at the end of the dash board, there is an access panel. Inside is a red button labeled 'reset'. Following the instructions in the owners manual resets the change oil light.
    Has anyone else driven the 2.2L yet? I'd be very interested in any opinions...especially if you drive the 2.2 with the manual tranny.
    I bought my Alero in July and got a $2000 rebate--I'm wondering if the rebates are less now because they are offering 0% financing (that was not offered when I bought--I'm in at 6% I think). Or are you talking about the 2002?
    I meant also to add that with the V6 I'm getting 22 mpg in city driving, about 30 mpg highway.

I'm happy with this, given the power and pep this car has.
    There was a guy about 15 posts up that tested a 2.2L. I would like to go try one also but have had zero time to do it. If we get a car instead of a van/SUV, it will very likely be a 2.2 Alero.
  • ctalericoctalerico Member Posts: 23
    I purchased a 2000 Alero in May,2000. The way my rebate works is it gets reduced from the payoff amount. So when I call for a payoff it is already calculated to be less (with the rebate amount). As far as the 0% financing, I was under the impression that you can't get both (APR reduction AND a rebate). At lease that's what the Olds dealership says.
    I can confirm the Alero 3.4 MPG, 23 city, about 29 highway, in my case.

And it sure is peppy! ;^)
  • j_tubaughj_tubaugh Member Posts: 3
    I have "twin" 2000 Aleros with about 17000 miles on each. In BOTH cars, there is a strange rattle under the hood on the passenger side. It seems that it happens when I am cruising under 20 mph, and only when the A/C is on. If I turn the A/C off, it goes away. Turn it on and it comes back. It is slowly getting worse. It doesn't happen all the time, but when it does happen and I can stick my head under the hood and hear it, it sounds a little "metalic" sounding.

I have taken BOTH cars in to the dealer. In one case they kept the car for four days, replaced a fuel injector. The rattle is still there. In the other car they just said they couldn't hear it an closed the case.

Needless to say, I have little faith in car dealer service departments. But since BOTH of my cars have this problem, it would seem that there may be others with the same problem.

I can't find any TSB summary that seems to address the problem, and a search out here hasn't revealed anything.

Is anybody else experiencing this with their Alero?

Thanks. Jeff.
    Are they V6 or 4 cyl models?
    They are four cyl
  • burdawgburdawg Member Posts: 1,524
    You said it's when the AC is on only - are you sure it's not just the sound of the AC compressor? Below 20mph the ambient noise is not that high and you may notice the sound more. Is it a sharp metallic rattle (you mentioned a metallic sound) or more of a dull pulsation?
    I had a similar problem in my Alero V6. The rattle sounded like a knock. It was the AC compressor, which was replaced under warranty.

I think that it happened at about the same mileage, but after the service it never happened again.
    My husband is the one who normally posts here, but I thought I'd add to the discussion an experience I had yesterday.

We bought a 2000 Alero in August and have been enjoying it ever since. No problems at all till yesterday. I went out to start the car. When I tried to put it in drive, I noticed I couldn't push in the button on the gear shift handle. I released the handle, and the button fell off. (I guess I don't know my own strength.)

Since I couldn't seem to move the gear shift, I thought the car wasn't driveable, so I called Roadside Assistance. The tow truck was there within minutes. The driver tried the handle and found that if he reinserted the plastic button and pressed it just so, he could get it to shift.

So, I was able to drive it to the local GM service center. (The dealership where we bought the car is about an hour's drive away.) Everyone who looked at it said, "Well, *that's* weird." One of the service reps said something about "plastic stress," or some such thing. Odd that a car this new would have a piece like that just fall off, eh? Anyway, they seemed to think that they have to replace the entire assembly, not just the button. So, they've ordered the part. In the meantime, we can drive the car; it just takes a bit of doing.

The car is still under warranty, so I assume this will be covered. But, as they say, assume nothing. I'll keep you posted.
  • cnewcnew Member Posts: 1
    1) At about 5000 miles loud noise coming from under the car only when A/C is on. Dealership"could not duplicate concern"

2) 5129 put the car in park, turned A/C off and the car cut off/killed. Keyless remote would not lock/unlock doors or trunk. Still hearing noise. Dealer stated computer needed to be reprogrammed, but "could not duplicate consumers concern"

3) At about 5300 miles car is idling extremely high you would think I am drag racing. Still hearing noise. Dealership changes throttlebody. Again, did not hear noise.

4)One week later still having same problem. Dealership adjust a sensor and advises that there is a problem but they do not know how to fix. The service tech advised that my car's computer info was downloaded onto a disk and sent to GM Engineers to identify the problem and offer a possible solution. Still did not hear the noise.

5) The plastic push knob for the shift handle breaks off leaving me stranded in a parking lot for 45min. Dealership superglues.

6) Idling is beginning to get worse and the noise from under the car is occuring on a more frequent basis. Dealership could not duplicate concern Still no word from GM(1 month has passed)

7) Begin to hear noise as on incline on bridge. Dealership finally hears noise(and it only took them 3000 miles after the initial complaint. Change the belt tensioners. After driving the car for 15 minutes the noise reappears.

8) Dealership in all of their wisdom finally decided to check the A/C system(remember when I first told them of the problem, I explained that I only hear the noise when the A/C is on). The problem bad A/C compressor. Change compressor

9) After three weeks hear a knocking noise under car when initially start car. Car still idles(and now three and half months has passed and still no word from GM Engineers.

I have made several complaints to the Consumer Relations Dept. but they are of no help. I had to contact the BBB Autoline because the dealership was trying to feed me the "car salesman b.s.. I have decided on arbitration. For replacement vehicle. Just wondering if anyone else is or have experienced these problems. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Arbitration is scheduled in two weeks. Thanks
    Sounds like you got a lemon. I'm guessing it's a 4 cyl model?
  • theworldizmyntheworldizmyn Member Posts: 16
    hi board, I'm in the market for a car. I'm leaning towards a used one. God knows i can't afford a new one. me and my girlfriend are about to have a baby here in about 6 weeks. I know I have to get a sedan, because of a car seat issues. And I was thinking about getting an alero sedan for a car, but I have yet to hear some reviews. So can someone please help me in my decision for car hunting? and which trim is best for a family car. I'm thinking about am Alero because I can't get the sports car I want, so I was thinking maybe I can have the best of both worlds(Sedan/Sports car). So I was thinking that a GLS is the best package/trim to get. Can someone advise me which trim is best.

Very Kindly,
    The World Iz Myn
    Congratulations! Any of the trim packs will do fine for the kids.

But I would stay away from leather with kids. In fact the best interior for kids is the all vinyl with 1 piece plastic floor that is found on GM taxis. That way you can just hose out the car! Just kidding.

But kids are rough with the irks, vomitting, explosive diareah. Then you will find lollipops, gum, cookies, chocolate, etc stuck to the seats. The worst is the red slushy poured on the seat (not just a little bit, the whole thing). I didn't mean to alarm you, all parents have gone through this. You will survive and so will the car. Best wishes.
  • jlc011jlc011 Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I've been looking at the Alero since the finance offers are so great. I found a 2001 GL4, I think, Sedan. It has more on it than I would want, but it is a 5 speed and those are pretty hard to find. It has the Special Edition Package, spoiler, and sunroof. The MSRP is $21045.

Here is the kicker, it is a DEMO!! It has 5900 miles on it, which seems like alot. The dealer said he could let it go for invoice. He didn't say what invoice is, but Edmunds lists it at $19259.

This seems a little pricey. KBB.com gives a used 2001 a retail value of $16345. I know that technically this is a new car, but it is really used to me. So what would be a fair offer?

I haven't seen it yet, so I don't know if there any dings or what-not. I'm going to try to test drive it tonight, since I haven't even driven one yet. Atleast then I'll know if I should keep looking.

Any opinions, should I pass on this and keep trying to find 'new' 2001 5-sp? Or, just grab a 2002?

Thanks!
    I would go for a 02. The 2.2L is a better engine and I think it's still got the 0.0% financing anyway.
    The only problem we've had that's on your list was what I described above, the plastic button breaking off the gear-shift handle. Our car is still under warranty, and so our local GM service center replaced the gear-shift handle today, at no cost to us. I can't believe your dealership just superglued your button back on. Did they not order a replacement part to replace your current gear-shift handle? Yours should be covered by the warranty just like ours was (and ours is a 2000 model).

On another bulletin board, I did encounter someone who said that occasionally her transmission slips. The first time this happened, it was weird; as I recall, she said that while her car was in park, her speedometer climbed to 180 mph. She has a 1999 model, and apparently has had a lot of trouble with hers. She says the tape deck has never worked, and she's been having the same problem with her brakes that others have described here; when she touches the pedal, it starts throbbing, as if the ABS is constantly engaged. I have a feeling she's got the same faulty (warped) rotors that others have talked about, but it sounds like she's getting the runaround from her dealership. I suggested that she check this bulletin board and see what others were saying, and also to post about her experiences to see if anyone had any suggestions, but I don't know if she ever did.
    In response to burdawg: I don't think it is just engine noise (you don't happen to work for the service department do you? that's what they told me too! ). It happens under 20mph, and at times when the car idles. When I stick my head under the hood, it is more of a metalic sound, like something is rattling, or loose.

In response to evandro: Could you explain a little more about the noise you had? It sounds very much like mine.

In response to cnew: I am really sorry about the lemon you got. And when dealerships "appear" to take a lazy attitude, it makes it worse. Could you also explain a little more about the noise you heard only when your A/C was turned on?

It sounds like both evandro and cnew had similar problems, with similar solutions - the compressor. If you both don't mind, could you explain a little more about the noise. What did it sound like, etc.

Thanks.
    In my case, a rattling sound would come from the right side of the hood (where the serpentine belt is located) when the engine (3.4 V6) would rev down after being revved up, even if just a little. It was a knocking noise located in the low, bass range. It would rattle for just a few seconds and stop, but sometimes it would even without revving the engine up.

At first, I thought it was an engine mount going bad, but it turned out to be the AC compressor, according to the dealer. Once it was replaced, the noise was gone and never came back again.

HTH
  • fclspatfclspat Member Posts: 61
    I think paying invoice for a used car is a ripoff. I got my 5spd for $120 over invoice and it had six miles on it! Considering its already October, I'd go for a 2002 (even though I love my 2001 5 spd).

If you are in no rush, see if you can get a dealer to order a 5spd equipped exactly the way you want. E-mail the local dealers and see what deals you can strike up. I've got two dealers in CT that would likely give you a great deal...

Sil
    I was surprised how easy and straight forward it was to buy a car using GM Buy Power! The Internet sales manager was very forthcoming from the beginning, saying up front that he'd close the deal at invoice price. I've heard the same experience else where, so I guess this is a policy.

Give it a try and good luck!

• mirthmirth Member Posts: 1,212
    I agree with evandro. My wife used BuyPower to get email quotes from dealers for her Alero, and ended up getting a very good price. The GM dealers were very responsive - more so than I've seen with other makes. Of course, we live near Detroit, so maybe that makes a difference.
    I live in Texas and in less than 24h got responses from about 6 dealers in a 50-ml radius through GM Buy Power. Amazing! The easiest and smoothest car purchase experience I've ever had. Even had room to negotiate a warranty extension... ;^)
  • jlc011jlc011 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the advice!

I do have time to look. I currently have an Xterra with about 3 yrs left on the loan. The only reason I am looking at new cars is because of the great financing offers. The 2002 Alero looks good and 0.9% for 48mos. is pretty inviting. Then I saw that the 2001s had 0% for 60mos! Even better!!

I found this car through the Buy Power website, so I was pretty disappointed when the dealer said it was a demo. I don't think they should list it as a new car, but they do. Anyway, I emailed him yesterday to see if he had any other 2001 5-spds or if he could find one. I haven't heard back yet, though.

BTW, I am no stranger to buying a car on the web, that's how I got my X back in Jan '00. I got it through carorder.com at less than invoice. They had to kick in about $1300 to the dealer. The week after I got mine, they raised the price about $2000! Easiest and best car buying experience I've ever had, too bad they are out of business now.

I went to carsdirect.com and they quoted invoice for 2002 GL2 with the options I want. $18622, I think.

I might hold off for now and wait and see if they offer 0%/60mos on the 2002 after Jan. What do you think the odds are of that?
  • theworldizmyntheworldizmyn Member Posts: 16
    Is an alero a good car for a brand new family. Or are there better cars out there that are good for a brand new family? I'm gonna have a baby in about a month, and was wondering if an alero was a good reiable car to buy. I've asked for advise on this board before, but I need more feedback. Please if you are reading this and own an Alero GLS, give me some type of a review comments to help me in my search.
    Very Kindly,
    The World Iz Myn
    theworldizmyn : My mom has an Alero and I think it makes a great family car. It's not huge, but it's big enough for a small family and the trunk is quite large for the size of car.

jlc011 : Probably not much chance on the 0.0% for January. I'm sure rates will still be good then though. Economy is not getting any better yet.
    I've had an Alero GL V6 for 3 years. It's reasonably roomy. It comes loaded with lots of features, some cannot be found in many other vehicles in its category even as an option. It's only given me 2 major problems: noisy AC compressor and broken steering pump, both replaced under warranty. But with the 5-year warranty promo, I think that the car is an even greater value.

Good luck.
  • yurakmyurakm Member Posts: 1,345
    Other equal, I would rather prefer Malibu. For the only one reason: a lot of rear space and wider rear doors. Would be easier to put and remove the child carrier.

Otherwise, Alero (with V-6) is a better car. More fun to drive. Especially on highway.
  • dtownfbdtownfb Member Posts: 2,918
    I thought about the question you asked esp. since I just recently went through the car buying process (July 2001). we didn't want to spend too much money but wanted a good,
    reliable car that could hold 2 car seats.

Our eyes were set on the Alero. Mainly because of the 5yr/60 mi warranty, Olds rebate and special financing. We test drove the Alero GL 1 which has a ton of features, nice interior, etc. Actually we test drove it 3 times and it was the 3rd time that made me realize some of it's shortcomings.

This is when we re-visited why a new car (see above). We put our daughter in the back seat in her car seat and she was literally looking up at the roof of the car. The back seat of the Alero slopes downward towards the trunk. We would have never noticed that without putting the car seat in the back. this is something you won't notice not unless someone sits in the back while you are test driving. Also the 4 cylinder engine, while strong and easy on the gas, is quite noisy. They are replacing this engine with the Saturn 2.2 for 2002. I hear the 2.2 is quieter and just as strong. The crash ratings for the Alero are not very good esp. the side impact. This is something Olds will have to address even if they do plan to kill the Alero in 2004.

After we test drove the Alero, we test drove the Malibu LS (it was parked the next aisle over). Same price, bigger interior, better rear seats, V6 engine, better site lines out of the rear window, etc. The Malibu has better highway ride but the Alero is more fun to drive. But with one child and the 2nd on the way, fun takes a back seat to practical.

I'm not trying to get you to buy a Malibu. You have to purchase what is best for you and your family and the Alero is a nice car. Reliability with the Alero and Malibu are about the same. Most American cars in this class have about the same reliability, average. You may have trouble with warped rotors, a bad seal on the window, a rattle here and there, etc. Or you may have Nothing go wrong at all. We have 6000 miles on our Malibu an it has been completely trouble free. And you will find similar stories with the Alero.

The hit or miss reliability of the American cars is why the Accord and Camry have done so well. This segment is there bread and butter so they are mindful of the little things that the American cars let slide by. The American car makers rather spend their money on the high profit trucks and SUVs. If Chrylser spent half of the advertising money on Sebring as they do the Ram truck, they would have a monster seller on their hands. Same with the Olds and Saturn division for GM. But instead you have these beautiful cars is sitting on dealers lots by the thousands.

In a concise answer to your question about the Alero, yes it is a good family car but when you do the test drive, do a complete test drive. If you plan to travel with 2 or 3 people in the car, take them along for the test drive to see how it feels loaded. The last thing you want to do is get the car home and find the car doesn't fit your needs. Because the dealer will not give you your money back.

good luck car shopping. let me know if you have any questions.
    ... is among the best in its class, as everybody can see here.
    I agree with much of your Alero vs Malibu post. Alero is a better car for a driver, Malibu is better if you need more room. Don't agree with your quality notes though. I have seen some sloppy stuff on Nissans, Toyotas and Hondas too. American manufacturers have made great strides and will continue to close the gap to the top. Yes U.S. manufacturers have spent too much time with the high margin trucks. I think in the years to come and as gas prices rise, you will see better cars and more marketing of cars also. It's too bad we won't see a next generation Alero though.
    Didn't like it. Yes the rear seat is bigger but it drives horribly.

The engine is buzzy at revs and you will need to keep your foot in it to keep it moving. The car rolled so much on the ramps that I looked underneath to see if there were anti-roll bars. There were but they might as well have not been there. Then the tires. Firestone Affinity, 60 series? They handled worse than 80 series tires back in the 1980s.

The interior was down right bland. No character at all, except 'economy'. The plus is that you can get them for $15G.