Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Elantra 2001-2006

Comments

• justinjustin Member Posts: 1,918
    I would never take a chance and put Mom in a Ford Focus. I love my mother. :) She drives too much to be constantly worrying about recalls the like.

The Protege is nice. She has actually always liked Mazdas for small cars. And, as far as I know, the Mazda is not even close to a Focus. The Mazda is actually made in Japan I believe. We will be looking at that, since the Protege is so roomy inside.

The Elantra is a car that, on paper anyway, seems safe, powerful, content-rich, and backed by a good warranty. For cars in the $14k range, what else can you ask for? The fact that the Elantra does not look as boring as the others, but not too strange either, is just a plus.
  • blackandblueblackandblue Member Posts: 66
    What is the "TPS" ? What does it do ? Why should I ask for this to be replaced vs re-programing the on-board processor. I am scheduled for service next Fri and I could raise this issue but I would like to be a litte more infommed. Thanks.
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    If I were you, I would compare the Protege and Elantra together. The Elantra is definitely lower priced, has more safety stuff standard/available (has available traction control, and Protege does not), and some luxury features not available on Protege. Some people have this "thing" that they won't buy a Hyundai because of their earlier record, but they have improved a LOT and offer alot of value and features for the money.\

You could also go to CarsDirect.com and do a search for all cars in a certain size/price range. That might help you as well, to see them side by side in a comparison.
  • zigliflerziglifler Member Posts: 99
    I really think you need to reread what was said . The point trying to be made was that this is a board talking about the elantra . NOT a board just to bash the car . What is wrong with that ? And yes alot of people in this world say things JUST to argue and no other reason . Many talk before they know what they are talking about . I don't see where bouyant was discouraging anybody from commenting . I think the point was to make a comment but not just for bashing sake. Lets face it there isn't a new car on the market that is 100% trouble free . THEY ALL have there little problems and some have few if any . It is the roll of the dice . Let people bash Hyundai all they want . Say it is crap and they would never buy them and the quality is no good . This will keep the price down so it doesn't do what Toyota Honda and Datsun did , sky rocket in price . But thats not the point of this blurb . The point is this is a board to TALK about elantra, NOT to just come and FAME...
  • silver_bulletsilver_bullet Member Posts: 1,339
    It sends a signal to the engine controller letting it know whether the car is at idle, wide open throttle (WOT), or somewhere in between.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    This board is for discussing the Elantra. Some comparisons are inevitable and welcomed, but extended discussion about the merits of one vehicle vs. another belong on our Comparisons - Sedans vs. Sedans board. If a suitable discussion does not already exist, anyone is free to create a new one.

It really isn't necessary for anyone to repeatedly bash a vehicle in that vehicle's dedicated discussion. Everyone's opinion is welcome, of course, but once you've made your point and you've made it clear you are not interested in this vehicle, it probably is time to move on to other discussions.

Thanks.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
  • jpelderjpelder Member Posts: 235
    I agree this is a room to talk about the Hyundai. This portion of the discussion started by my asking about a redesign of the Elantra and, yes, looks.

I realize this is not totally directed at my comments, but also to others who mentioned the protege and the focus. However, it seems silly to rant and rave that those with different opinions should not share them. Especially when you label the the limited elantra criticisms as "unrestrained", and take 18 paragraphs to vent.

Not forum should permit pure bashing. However, you can look into every other car forum here and find pro and con opinions...usually without inflamatory remarks.

It's fine it Bouyant does not want mention his criticisms of the Focus in the Focus forum. However, that should not make it a rule for everyone else. In fact, I think it would be helpful to mention them...especially the part about the carpet situation he (I'm assuming bouyant is male) encountered in the Focus.

By the way, I agree about the roll of the dice thing. Let's face it, we all usually only own one of a particular model at a time. Whatever your experience, you'll swear on a stack of bibles! To boot, everyone has different standards. Some get bent out of shape if they have to realign the car. Others, like my dad who had a maverick for 14 years, judge it like this...every day I put the key in and it starts.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Buoyant doesn't make the rules here; the Town Hall Membership Agreement governs us all. And it does require that topical discussions remain on topic. Did you read pat Jan 11, 2002 10:35am?

You have made your opinion of this vehicle clear. There are more appropriate places in the Town Hall for you to continue your line of posts. This is not the right place. If you or anyone else needs clarification, please feel free to email me.

Now with that, let's everyone get back to discussing the Elantra and stop talking about each other.

Thank you.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
  • dmarzo1dmarzo1 Member Posts: 37
    Before I return to singing the praises of my new Elantra GT, I thought I would chip in a kind word (for what its worth) for jpelder. John provided me some very helpful comments on another board and I really appreciated it.

Back to the Hyundai: One month ago, I never would have dreamed of owning a Hyundai. But after a few weeks of research (Thank you edmunds.com) and some test drives, I have become a convert. Though, long term reliability concerns still tug at me, I think the car is just a super value. I am not turning to these boards for affirmation or as a way to justify my purchase. Just enjoy the good discussion. Thanks to the participants and moderators for keeping the info flowing.

Dave
  • hyundaimahyundaima Member Posts: 197
    TPS measures the opening angle of the throttle valve. Ignition timing and injection time are based on input from this sensor and others. Faulty TPS can give you higher than normal idle rpm since its signal is used to determine whether the throttle valve is closed.
  • mike91326mike91326 Member Posts: 251
    Today one of my office mate's 17-year-old son stopped by our office with his 2002 Elantra GLS. He has the 5-speed with package 3. In the two months that he has owned the car he has made a few "improvements" which include:

1) Added a 200-watt amp to the existing factory radio/CD and speakers.
    2) Changed out the exhaust system.
    3) Installed 17" wheels and 50 series low profile tires.
    4) Installed new heavy duty shocks/struts all around, and
    5) Installed Piia driving lights in the opening with the black vents.

He said his cost has been about $1,000, net of what he received for the original new tires.

He took us for a ride and all I can say is it is amazing what a few changes can do to improve an already great car. First, the amp makes a world of difference with the stock audio system. I could not believe I was listening to the factory unit. Well, if the audio was good, what came next was even better. He started up the car and we were off for a little ride. His Elantra was a little louder than mine, but not a lot. When he punched it I could not believe how quick the car was. There is quite a difference between his and mine. But, it was the handling and cornering that blew me away. He took a right turn at 40 MPH and there was no tire squeal or rear end fishtailing. It was just, one second we were going north and then the next we were going east. The ride was noticeably firmer than my car but it was not punishing. BTW, he said that the dealer told him that his full warranty is still in effect. In the next month or two he plans to replace his ECU with a high performance unit which he said would increase his HP to about 175.

I wonder? If a 17-year-old can do this for between $1,000 and $1,500, why can't Hyundai do it? Well, time for me to go find my checkbook.
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    but would like Hyundai to offer performance improvements, it would show what a good platform this car really is. If Mazda, Mitsu, Subaru and Nissan can get into high performance on their platforms so should Hyundai.
  • mpgmanmpgman Member Posts: 723
    Personally, this is one of the things that sold me. Try parking new cars with painted bumpers and no side protection moldings for a while whether parallel or in parking lots. Then see how dinged up and scuffed you get in no time. The black inserts protrude just enough to prevent those little scuffs and dings. Painted bumpers may look great in a showroom but they are just plain dumb if you park anywhere but in your own private garage.
  • frankpcbfrankpcb Member Posts: 27
    Mike:

Can you find out what kind of amp (manufacturer) your 17 year old put in the car, also the tires he replaced the originals with. Also would like to know where he is going to get the ECU to bump up the hp.

Thanks for your help.

Frank
  • mike91326mike91326 Member Posts: 251
    Frank,

I believe the amp is by Kenwood. It is also an equalizer and fits into the space below the factory radio. He will get the ECU from HDKAUTOSPORT.com. As far as the tires, I think they are Goodyears' but I will have to ask my friend on Monday.
  • mcromptonmcrompton Member Posts: 1
    According to the pump, I just put 14.4 gallons of gas in my 2001 Elantra. Since I only went 391 miles and I usually get 33 mpg do you think the pump was out of calibration? Shouldn't my low gas alarm been on?
    I'd consider 27+ pretty good for mixed driving. Mine recently went down from 27+ to about 24. Depending on your climate things should improve in the spring.
  • lokannalokanna Member Posts: 22
    I've been lurking on these boards for about 4 months or so now, and just want to say I will soon be joining as a "Hyundai Owner". If everything goes as planned, by this time next month I will have my first "new" car, a GLS automatic w/ package 3.

I have a couple questions for anyone who's driven this car and a Toyota Corolla (2001 at least). My fiancee has a 2001 Corolla and while I enjoy the car immensly (to compare, I have an old 90 Pontiac Bonneville, on it's last legs mind you.), it's too small for my 6'1" frame (slightly ... husky ;D). A couple questions though: Does the Elantra Auto have the same "get up and go" as the Corolla Automatic? I'm not sure how it's laid out in the engine specs (acceleration = raw horsepower?), but the Corolla can get off the line if pushed. When I test drove the Elantra, it seemed to kind of "glide" up into the gears. I know this car has fuzzy logic, is that what I'm feeling?

Also, does the Elanra's A/C and heater get cold/hot quickly?

Almost finished... =D The Hyundai dealership I'm currently talking to has GLS w/ package 3 at about $15,500 (give or take). From what Edmunds tells me, I shouldn't be paying more than $13,800. That's nearly $1800 difference. I know the car buying process gives leeway, but that much? This is my first car buying experience for me, so pleaes, offer tips :D

And finally, I mentioned the fact that the Corolla has a small profile for me, how does the Elantra suit your needs?

Sorry to ask for the direct comparison, but it's what I have for "real world" testing at my disposal. While I like the Toyota, I feel the Elantra is a much better car for the money, and seeing as how that's an issue, I can't find a better deal.

Thanks in advance for any help!

PS. Gas milage can also vary when you idle in the car. I know in Illinois where my dad lives (and I used to, now in FL), he would let the car "heat up" and I assume that would effect gas milage. Just something to think about when factoring that in.
    Lokanna

Welcome to the club (well almost)...

Just a few comments--not so much on the Corolla/Elantra comparison but on the car buying process for an Elantra.

First, take a look at the GT hatchback. You at least owe it to yourself to compare the GLS and GT so you can get a feel for the difference. I recently bought a GT and am amazed at the value--it is a wonderful car (well so far anyway)By the way, I am 6 foot and feel quite comfortable in it.

As for negotiations, knowledge of the going market price is your best ally. Secondly, never be in a hurry to purchase. Try a few dealers until you feel comfortable with one. Third, try not to complicate the deal with a trade-in--it screws up the numbers if you ask me.

Anyway, when I bought my GT, the dealership had had one on the showroom floor and they listed it for over 18K! This price included over a thousand dollar dealer markup over MSRP. I bought a car similar to the one on the floor for $14,600, basically a $3400 gap between their price and what I ended up with. This is not to trump up my negotiating skills because my skills are weak. Instead, I go in with a spreadsheet and I itemize what I am willing to pay. I hand the sheet to the salesman and say if you can do this, you have a deal. The thing is for you to build up the numbers and not let them play games with you. At the same time, don't get caught up in nickels and dimes. Sometimes, it is worth paying $300 more to buy a car from a neighborhood dealer as opposed to one 45 miles away.

If you want, I will be happy to do up a small spreadsheet which you can print and hand to the salesperson. I can build it up with Florida taxes and such. I would usually start out at about $400 below TMV and see what happens. I am pretty sure Hyundai has some secret factory to dealer incentives going on right now because they seem willing to deal so I am sure you can get a great deal(someone else mentioned this in an earlier post)

The last few cars I have purchased have been a lot of fun because I have had a ton of info provided in forums such as these--it really puts you in control. Thanks edmunds.com

Good luck

Dave M
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    I own a '01 GLS but have driven many current-generation Corolla automatics (not the '03 yet of course). Mine is a 5-speed but I have spent several days driving Elantra automatics. My impression is that the GLS automatic is every bit as peppy as the Corolla. The Corolla may have a bit quicker initial launch, at least it feels like it, but the Elantra has longer legs, e.g. it will go 80 without even breathing hard. Best way to check this is to do back-to-back test drives of the two cars, if possible. The Elantra autoshifter does have "fuzzy logic", so it will adapt to your driving habits. But this takes a while. So if you have driven the Elantra only for a test drive, it probably did not have time to adapt to you.

The Elantra has the best heater and A/C of any car I have owned. Period. And that's over a dozen cars over 25 years. The heater warms up after driving one mile in zero (F) weather. And the A/C blows cooold. This summer, I drove in several 90+ degree days and had to turn the fan down to its lowest setting to maintain a comfortable temperature.

Dmarzo1 had great advice on the buying process. What I would do is find the invoice price for the car you want to buy (e.g. using Edmunds.com's data), check for any rebates on the car (again Edmunds.com has that info), and offer the dealer invoice price less any rebate. This still allows them the dealer holdback (or whatever is left of it, it declines over time) as profit. I would only do this if you were ready to buy the car then and there. They will likely protest mightily at that price, but the idea is to start low and go up only if you have to (just as their strategy is to start high). If the car has been sitting for awhile and there is no holdback left, then you may have to up your offer a bit--but then, the dealer may be anxious to get rid of the car too.

One other thing... be sure to drive the car you are buying before signing the final papers and "taking delivery". This is because you have no leverage once you have bought the car. (Of course the dealer should want you to be a happy customer and give you good service after the sale, but they will be eager to fix things if they know the sale depends on it.) Many Elantras, at least the '01 models, had a tire wobble problem (mine didn't). This is one problem that you can eliminate easily with a thorough test drive, including at highway speeds. You can also check for any other obvious problems and have them taken care of before delivery. Be sure to make a thorough inspection of the exterior and interior too--parking-lot scratches etc.
  • colorsofspringcolorsofspring Member Posts: 16
    Hello Elantra owners/fans. At the present moment my husband and I are considering another car in a different class/price range. We are big fans of this other midsize but I am having reservations about the affordability and would hate to be driving a car that I love at the price of living check to check!
    So I am looking into the smaller Elantra. We are city drivers with only one small child.
    Price wise I feel its right up our alley. I am concerned about reliability issues and also whether my 6' 200 +lb husband will fit in the drivers seat.
    I have run the Elantra idea by my husband who seems dead set against it. He would be embarrassed to own a Hyundai- we were out the other day and as one drove by he commented on how it sounded like a wind-up toy.
    Personally, I like the styling and I am thinking first and foremost about value.
    I guess I am looking for some more resons for us to consider this car. All comments welcome! Thanks.
    I never would have dreamed about buying Hyundai (as recently as a month ago) until reading these message boards and test driving both the Elantra and Sonata.

Hyundai is a terrific value. Have your husband read through the posts here and then test drive one. If you like it, I am reasonably confident you won't find a better value. Compare the GLS and GT (hatchback) by the way. You can get a GLS cheaper but the GT is worth a few extra dollars IMHO.

Dave

Dave
    Thanks for the advice!

dmarzo1, I would greatly appreciate the spreadsheet offer! I'm looking for a 2002 Elantra GLS Automatic with package 3, with carpet floor mats and trunk cargo net. Obsidian Gray is my first choice of color too ;) Taxes in my county are %7.00

As for the GT, while I realize the suspension is supposed to be tweaked a bit and it has a bit more luxury, it's also a little more expensive and for some reason I detest the look of the thing :( I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but the GLS looks like a respectable compact sedan, whereas the Hatchback looks like a ... Saab wannabe? I dunno, just didn't click with me. Now the new 2003 Tiberoun on the other hand... >=)

Backy, I've been reading your posts awhile and generally value your opinions. I definately plan on driving the vehicle before I sign anything, as I want to avoid a bad car experience.

I do have a question about negotiating, perhaps you have more experience with this process. When I go into the dealership and they show me a sticker with $15,500, do I say "Look, Edmunds should TMV at $13,800, get it down there and we'll talk?" Or should I realize they're there to make money, but I'm there to buy a car? One thing I have is a crappy trade in, if they say it's worth something near $500, should I say "Let's get this price down to around $13,800, with a decent monthly payment and a workable interest rate, and you can have the car for a steal to up your front end commission?"

Just curious with what style works best? Right now, price and low monthly payments are my concern. I understand the sales person is there to make money too, and being in sales, I want it to be a "win win" situation. I know that's difficult to do, and I'll go into the situation stating that I won't be taken for a ride, but if he works with me, it will be beneficial to us both.

What ways work? Thanks again for the advice, this is seriously helping me a lot!
    There is no one right way to approach negotiating. I personally favor the "start low" approach as the buyer. This means your opening offer is lower than what you would actually pay for the car. That is why I suggested offering invoice less rebates. There are actually dealers that will take this low of an offer, if you stick to your guns. Some will not, but you'll never know if you don't try. You can always come up in price; you can't go the other way. Note that many car dealers use the "start high" approach as the seller, making their initial offer MSRP or even above MSRP (a.k.a. "Additional Dealer Markup" or add-on fees for advertising, paint sealant etc.). They don't expect most buyers to buy at that price. But some will, or perhaps they will accept a few hundred dollars off that high price, and then the dealer makes out well and the buyer thinks he/she got a good deal.

Anyway, I didn't mean to do a facimile of a Karrass-style negotiating course here. I do believe that the dealer has to win in the deal too. I want them to stay in business so they can be there when I need service, warranty work etc. But I don't set the price at which they will sell their cars--they do. I can give them a low-ball price and they can tell me to take a flying leap if they want to, it's up to them. If they want to sell me a car for $100 over invoice, or invoice, or under invoice, it's up to them. It's my job to try to pay as little as possible for the car. The dealer knows how much profit they need to make on their cars, and I want them to be up front with me on that.

When I bought my Elantra in October 2000, I drove a hard bargain with the sales manager, and he was tough as well, but when we agreed on a price (which allowed them some profit) we shook hands and he thanked me for my business. I actually paid $100 more for my car at that dealer than at another one across town because they had exactly the color I wanted in stock, offered free loaner cars if my car is in the shop more than one day, plus free car washes. I figured all that was worth at least $100 over the life of the car. So it's not just about the sales price. Another consideration is how well you are treated by the dealer and the quality of their service department (my dealer had, at the time, two of the three Hyundai-certified technicians in town, so they would have a certified technician doing even routine maintenance).

If you are not comfortable with intense negotiating (I am in sales so it is not a big deal for me, I actually enjoy it), the TMV approach might be better. You may not get the absolute best price, but you will get a very good price and less stress.
    Hey Lokanna,

I have put together a spreadsheet for you. Please drop me a line at dmarzo1@hotmail.com and I will send it on to you. Here are some additional ideas for your negotiations:

- Backy has good advice on negotiations. Do what feels comfortable for you. That being said, here are a few additional suggestions to keep in mind.

- For every person who comes into a dealership armed with information and is able to get "invoice" or better, there are 1 or 2 others who will take the MSRP without much question and the salesman makes out. So while you want the salesman to do well, don't go overboard in being too "nice" if you know what I mean. From what I can tell, Hyundai offers a lot of incentives to its dealerships on pure volume--so they are willing to deal on a thin margin because if they hit their volume bogey, Hyundai will give them some incentives (like $400 per car)--so don't worry too much, they will make money from you. Just don't let them take advantage.

- If at all possible, try not to do the trade in. Try to sell it on your own. It complicates the process as it gives the dealer another margin to negotiate on. To be honest, the salesmen I talk to are usually relieved when I tell them I don't have a trade-in. It allows you to focus on the new car alone and I really think that is the best way to go. Especially considering the value of your car that you mention

- If at all possible, get pre-approved for a car loan. It usually only takes a phone call to your bank. You get pre-approved. When you get to closing at the dealership, you simply call your bank, give them the specifics (Vin, final selling price) and they will mail you a check. Typically, the dealer will let you take the car home and you just drop the check off when you get it from your bank. (The bank may also send you an open draft check--and you just write it out at the dealership. Pretty simple) Know what your bank's interest rates are and there is a chance the dealer will be able to match or beat the rate so that is always an option. But being pre-approved is simple and takes a lot of stress out of the process

- Do not negotiate on monthly payments! Negotiate the price of the car. When you negotiate the price, be very clear that you are comparing apples to apples. For example, don't say, "I will offer you $15,000 for the car." Instead, say "I offer you $15,900 out the door" or "I offer you $15,000 plus tax, title, license". Back to monthly payments: In the spreadsheet I did for you, I give you a range of monthly payments you can expect--so you have that info for your own budgeting--but DO NOT get into payments with the sales person.

- Do not use the TMV as your starting point. The TMV is a good guide but they are not up to date. The best guide is to go to www.fitzmall.com. They have dealerships in my area (Maryland/VA) and yours (Florida). They have a real-time stock on-line and they tell you what their "no haggle price" is. They update these prices constantly and this offers a much better ballpark figure since it is so current. For the exact car you are looking for (for one in Maryland), their no-hassle price is $700 below invoice! Print this page out (Stock#H295555) and have it for back-up. The deals in Florida are right about the same

- There are two charges which vary by region: advertising fees and dealer processing fees. I did not include these in your spreadsheet but they are usually non-negotiable. In VA, the advertising fee is $400 for the Elantra and dealer processing fees are $200+. Just add those in to your final figures--they are considered "legitimate" I think for the most part

- If you go $700 below invoice, you should be out the door (car, taxes and registration) at about $13,700, plus the possible advertising and processing fees. If you are serious about making a deal, just print the spreadsheet out and say here is my offer. It is a fair tactic and a fair offer in my humble opinion.

Keep us posted

Dave
    The advertising fees are a little confusing but are usually included in the invoice. Don't offer to pay it unless they bring it up. Just may get a little tricky on what invoice price you are talking about (invoice with the advertising fee versus invoice without the fee?)

Can discuss with you a bit more via email on how to handle this
    The Elantra is larger inside (because of it's height, like the Focus) than many mid-sized cars. I'm 6'4 and 225 and have more than enough room. It's the most powerful engine in its class and I'm more and more impressed by the total sophistication of the package for the price. This is why Hyundai sales are going through the roof. The Focus, Elantra and Protege were on my final list and I chose the Elantra because of the overwhelming positive comments by owners in forums like this and also the troubling comments from Focus owners on its reliability.

If you look at owners ratings in Microsoft Carpoint, you'll see that the average owner is happier with the Elantra than other brands such as Civic and Corolla. These cars are being decontented rapidly IMHO and driving a Corolla after an Elantra showed me a big difference in room and quality (of course I haven't seen the '03 yet).

Having said this, you and your husband have to live with the car. Some people are very status conscious (I strive for value) and for these people owning a Hyundai is not an option at this time. Based on your remarks I doubt if you would be happy with the car no matter how much better than the competition it is (and it is better than the competition).
  • claywaterfillclaywaterfill Member Posts: 534
    I was going to write exactly what csandste wrote. You can read this whole thread and find many people in love with their Elantras, but if your husband's ego won't even allow a test drive, then you need to move on.
  • beeryr4beeryr4 Member Posts: 19
    I have several dealers within 50 miles. When my closest dealer wouldn't budge much off MSRP, I called up the others and asked a simple question: "I'm price shopping. Will you sell me an Elantra at invoice?" A couple hemmed and hawed. A couple said Yes. I figure I saved about $1000. But also ask about dealer perks. One dealer who said No also offered free lifetime oil changes. But he was too far away to drive over just for an oil change.

If your local dealer can come close to the price of a more distant dealer, stick with your local dealer.

Another thing to possibly do is check the dealers internet sales person. I've heard some are much more willing to give a lower price. If you've already been working with a salesperson from that dealer, be careful about "going behind his/her back".
  • mot1857mot1857 Member Posts: 1
    Hi Everyone,
    I am planning to buy 2002 HYUNDAI ELANTRA. Would you please anyone tell me how does it run after 50,000 miles? All I want to know is maintainance wise, how do you rank it?

Thanks a lot in advance,

Neil
    one other thing i might add is if possible buy your car at the end of the month . you seem to get a better deal because if they are close to the quota they are more willing to move the car it seems . Also i would say do your homework . Look at these boards and see what others have paid . you can get a good average from that and set a price in your head and STAY with it at the dealer . if they want your business they will come down to it . It might take some time but if you go in and say this is what i want to pay and it is within reason they will go to it . I offered 13800 for my gt with only mats , mudflaps and net . i also had a dealer that said they would do it over the phone for 200 over invoice so with that i went into the closes dealer with the offer of 13800 and walk out at 13900 +tax&dmv fees . so just hold your guns and you will be suprised . don't be afraid to walk out either if they won't move .

colorofspring ,
    I am 5'10" 250 so your hubby might be taller but ummm i bet i am a bit wider :) and i fit nicely . My roommate is 6'3" and he owns the smaller accent and like the heck outta it and it is a smaller car than the elantra.have him go test drive it what can it hurt . Sure he will get it from friends that don't know what they are talking about but when he tells them what it cost they will think twice .

mot1857,
    the new style elantra is only 2 years old so i doubt you will find a person with 50k on it yet . But if this helps i have a 95 Hyundai accent and it had 158k on it . I have yet to have to spend any money on REPAIRS . i have done the needed things (timing belt , water pump , cause they had to take it off to do timing belt so why not change that also ,tires ,front brakes , it still has orginal brakes on rear, oil changes , headlamps , battery , plugs and wires . If the elantra is anything like my accent i think it will be a great car also . I have 700 mile on my gt and luv it . the ride if firm but not hard and man it is a quiet for a little car .
    This addresses the 2-3 shift slip problem.
  • colorsofspringcolorsofspring Member Posts: 16
    I as quite surprised that it didn't take too much prodding for my husband to agree to go. He fit in it nicely and we were both pleasantly surprised with the roominess. It drove like... well.... $14,000 car should drive.. and that's not a bad thing! My husband took it on the parkway and said that it accelerated impressively.
    I can't say we'll definitly buy one but my husband is actually CONSIDERING it!!! If we do end up getting one, he'll definitley get reamed by his friends (who drive Expeditions). But I guess we'll be the ones laughing all the way to the bank .. and to the gas station as well.
    I don't think this has been covered before, but I apologize if it has. Does anyone else think it is funny that all Elantras are "GLS" models? I'm not knocking Hyundai here, folks. I just think it's strange that no matter if you have Package 1 or Package 5, the rear end of them all says "GLS." What if Hyundai changed this to reflect certain trim levels? We all know the difference between a Sonata and a Sonata LX, right? If you pay for Sonata LX, you like knowing that yours can be differentiated from a base just by looking at the rear end. What if a "Package 1"--or base--Elantra was simply called "Elantra?" Then, say, a "Package 3" was known as "Elantra GL"--that way it would be known yours has keyless, cruise and CD. Then a "Package 5" would be an "Elantra GLS"--that way it would be known that yours has ABS and TCS. Package 4 only offers the sunroof over package 3, so make it an option on GL and GLS models. Package 2 is keyless and cruise, so eliminate it as a "trim level" and just go with a GL package 3. I think simplifying the levels could hold costs down because there would be fewer set ups. Maybe I'm alone in this, but it's just a thought.
    Sure it will let other people know what you paid for it thats about all . As for holding down costs . that it won't it . It would raise costs because you would have to buy all the different markers and change the manual and also raise cost because u would have to set up different spots on the line to add all the new items . But one thing you said was true , it would let others know what you paid . Lets face it you bought a hyundai you didn't pay alot so is status what you want ?
    If you have 3 levels of Elantras instead of 5, costs would have to drop because you are eliminating 2 levels. Extra cost because you now have to have "GL" labels? Come on. You are using fewer "GLS" labels, and not using one at all on a bunch of cars. It has nothing to do with status--you don't buy an Elantra if you are looking for status. It just shows the trim level. A Sonata is not Sonata GLS is not Sonata LX. An Accord DX is not Accord LX is not Accord EX. A Jetta GL is not a Jetta GLS is not a Jetta GLX. An Elantra package 1 is not an Elantra package 3 and is not an Elantra package 5. Why call them all GLS?
    Prior to '99 there were multiple trim levels for the Elantra: a base Elantra without the power features, and the GLS with the power features, nicer stereo etc. Then in '99 Hyundai decided to simplify things and go with one trim line for the Elantra. Since this trim line had equipment comparable to the old GLS trim line, and also comparable to competitors' G-whatever or E-whatever or L-whatever trim lines, they called it the GLS. Makes sense to me. I think multiple trim lines are superfluous given that the GLS costs less than the base trim lines from competitors like Honda and Toyota. Now if they want to add a sports trim line (GTS?), with alloys, the GT's suspension, 4-wheel discs, and maybe the Tiburon's V6, I wouldn't mind. :-)
  • brentcadlebrentcadle Member Posts: 14
    First I want to thank everyone for your input. I used this board back in December of 2000 to purchase my 2001 Elantra. I now have 42,000 miles on it. To answer Neil's question....I love this car. I have not had ANY problems. I have only had the oil changed and tires rotated every 7,000 or so miles. I drive this car 125miles roundtrip 5 days a week to work. I put a K&N (lifetime) air filter and my MPG's increased by 4-5 miles per gallon. . For the record...I have the Automatic,with keyless, alarm, and cruise,mudflaps,and yes...the floormats. I paid $13,500 minus a $500 rebate=$13,000 + tax. I went to the dealership 3 times before they agreed to that price.I also used PeopleFirst.com. I would highly recommend them. Very quick approval and a check was overnighted to my house.
    Good to hear a "Success" story of that milage for one of the newer models. Makes my decision all that more sound.

Brent, I looked into peoplefirst.com and found it interesting, however, (without applying), I do know I don't have the *best* of credit and was curious if you (or anyone else for that matter) knew of any online 'second chance' financing sites? I know I've been approved at one of my local Hyundai dealerships for financing, but I know they deal in second chance lenders as well as first class tiers.

Also, a general question to anyone... When I negotiate the price, I know Tax/title/tags are extra, but generally speaking, how much? I know my sales tax is 7% where I live, so that's an easy number to figure in, but title and tags? I currently have plates on my car now that are up to date, and the title is my own as well, how do I figure these costs, and are they financed as well, or are they extra on top of the downpayment?
    Your state's Department of Motor Vehicles (or whatever they call it in Florida) should be able to tell you what the license fee will be. If you call the dealer's business office, or just as the salesperson, they should be able to tell you what the other fees will be (which may include a Documentation fee, typically $25-50).
    Hope you got spreadsheet okay...Title and tags should not be any more than $50 to $100. If you trade in, you can transfer the tags and it will be even cheaper. You can pay these fees separately or you can roll them into the loan amount--just a matter of personal preference.

Regards

Dave
  • jyk1981jyk1981 Member Posts: 37
    I'm guessing that you're living in the Seminole County (since you said the tax is 7%).

I believe new tag price is about $170
    and transfer is about $75.

By the way, if you do ive in Seminole county, Don't go to Bob Dance Hyundai, they will rip you off in the finacing office. They add $100 for creadit checking fee without telling, and other stuff.
  • th003gth003g Member Posts: 149
    please elaborate on this post and what it means?
    thanks in advance
    Haveing different trim levels would raise overall cost of making the cars . it isn't just the badges . It is the all the other things that go along with it . advertising for the dealers , all the different printed material that would have to be done . thats not even taking into account all the different things that would have to be set up at the factory to produce all the different trim levels . there is alot more into changing a name than just changing the badges on a car . Now you might not agree with me , and you have that right , but i think it would be more costly to do it the way you say .
  • desgdesg Member Posts: 52
    We have two levels of trim here - GL and GLS.

From what I see of the US "packages" these are really what I would call accessories rather than trim differences.

The trim levels here differ not only in features (like no power rear windows in GL, no centre console - things they you really wouldn't or couldn't add as an accessory) but in Engine size 1.8 vs 2.0 and even basic trim materials e.g different seat materials
  • browneybrowney Member Posts: 104
    Your post #2234 says there is a fix for the 2-3rd shift flare(slip) problem.
    Could you post the specifics about this? (TSB#, dealership that knows of the fix)
    Thanks
    It's posted on the service web site. Your dealer can download the S/W pack from there.
  • jcaccjcacc Member Posts: 10
    I just took my 2001 GLS in for its 12,000 check up. No major problems to report. I did have some trouble in extremely cold weather with the lock on the rear driver's side door seizing up, so I had the dealership lubricated it and the next time the temperature dips into the teens, we'll see if it's okay.

Other than that, I've had a year of no problems. I'm getting about 26 mpg in the city about 31 on the highway with an automatic, package 4. All in all, this car has exceeded my expectations.
    Two things. First, I was thinking that if they have 5 trim levels now, then going to three would streamline operations and--I would think--reduce costs. Second, I guess a better question would be, why call them aything but Elantra? Since there is only one trim level, why have the GLS name? It makes it look like there is more than one level. It's no big deal. I was sitting behind one at a light and saw the GLS and thought "They're all GLS."
    well i guess they have a method to there madness. maybe GLS at the end makes them sound better with all the other cars having extentions on them that are sold in america. who knows and your right it is no big deal . all i know is my am very happy with my cars i own that are made by hyundai. so what if coworkers think it is crap . i laugh when they tell me what they paid and see what they got . bang for the buck i think , at least in my mind , they can't be beat . hahahah a guy i work with just bought a 98 fourrunner and paid 19k . so he can pay his 300+ a month and i will stick to my 200 a month payment .