Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Elantra 2001-2006

Comments

• brentcadlebrentcadle Member Posts: 14
    From what I have learned....PeopleFirst.com seems to be slightly easier to get approved for. It is more like getting approved for a credit card. If you're credit is not enough for their standard loan rates thay do offer other rates based on "how bad" your credit is...see the sight for details
  • browneybrowney Member Posts: 104
    Service WEB Site????
    Can you post a link to it?
    Is it accessible to the general public since I am not a Hyundai Service Tech?
    Thanks again.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    A couple of posters have commented that there is only one trim level for the Elantra. There are actually two: GLS and GT. Who knows, maybe they plan to add more in the future.
    Thank You Very Much!!!
    I will set up an appointment with my dealer, now that I can tell them (in case they don't already know) where to get the upgrade.
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    As I've said before, I'd like to see a GT sedan and a GLS hatch as well as something with a Tibby engine stuck in it to compete with the Mitsu, Subie and other hot compacts.
  • zigliflerziglifler Member Posts: 99
    A v6 would be nice but would add alot of weight , and the mpg would go way down . what i would like to see is a 4 in it with about 170-190 hp . that would make the gt a real gt. it is well in the range of a 4cylinder engine . you could probably get 175 with a few after market items easy .
  • mpgmanmpgman Member Posts: 723
    18,400 miles on my GT. Great car. Better that I thought it would be. The driver's seat adjustment range is outstanding. Entry in and out is a snap. The A/C and heater are the best I have ever experienced...almost instant hot and instant cold, like a water cooler with a hot water feature. Looks are personal opinion. To me, no contest between the sedan and the hatch if you can afford the hatch. The hatch is one great and versatile car but I would be proud to own either. The 03 Corolla may be a great competitor. The 02 is not. Wait a few more weeks and find out.
  • mpgmanmpgman Member Posts: 723
    Recommend you see my post in the GT forum. My GT was superb in today's Jersey snow and ice on back slippery roads. ABS and T/C worked flawlessly. Really impressed and would get another car without it.
  • buoyantbuoyant Member Posts: 128
    I passed 1200 early this week on my Elantra and am confident I made the right choice. I think it's a fantastic car, and an excellent value for the money.

There are however a few, albeit petty, things that do annoy me nevertheless.

First, I have the power sunroof option on mine (a MUST IMO) and the only lights for the interior are the map and floor lights in the front (I don't know if it's the same deal in non-sunroof models or not). I'm used to having reading lights in the back (so maybe I just used to live the good life?), and now if I leave something in the rear passenger footwell at night, I need to have a flashlight or someone with Terminator night-vision along to locate it.

Second, the key fob does not have a power decklid release button. Apparently, you are supposed to unlock the car doors, and then pull on the release on the floor or use the key to open the decklid manually (they don't carry groceries out to their cars in Korea?).

And lastly, the alarm only flashes, it does not honk. So if you want to see if it is engaged or not, you have to lock the doors and then watch for the lights to flash once. Personally, I like having the horn honk too (I find it reassuring).

Granted, these are pretty nitpicky items. Other than that, I REALLY like the car. Hey, it's hard to complain when you buy a car that looks great and comes loaded to the hilt for $13,000.

BTW, I really enjoy shouting "HYUNDAI!!!!!" (with a long-I sound at the end) and making a kung fu gesture when someone asks me what kind of car I bought. And here I thought I would be too embarrassed to respond to that question truthfully.
  • desgdesg Member Posts: 52
    re: trim levels

A 190hp 4 - that sounds like a subaru WRX to me :)I agree a V6 would probably kill fuel economy - a 2 litre 6 would be smooth, but the cost would not be insignificant. A similar size car here has a 2.5 V6 as an option but of course you add size and weight and fuel economy suffers. 2 litres is probably about the best sized engine for this car.

In this part of the work there is also a GL trim level, smaller motor, only power windows in front, no console armrest in front etc etc.

I would surmise they decided on what trim levels to bring into each market based on research, for example we got the hatch from day 1, but I gather the US didn't think it would sell.

RE sunroof:

If you don't have the sunroof (at least here) there is a light in the centre of the roof - you should see this in the owners manual. (I assume they use the same owners manual in the US)

Sounds like you are used to a more upmarket vehicle with all those lights :) Map lights in a smaller car here are a rarity - unless you want to talk about some high priced European brands.

I've been pleasantly pleased with all the little items they put into the elantra, Few things I'd add or change but that is all $$$'s and I suppose it has to stop somewhere.

Re: keyless entry.

I've got into the habit of checking the door in any case on all cars I've had with keyless entry - call me suspicious :)
  • frobeyfrobey Member Posts: 17
    Hi,

I've noticed since about 9000 miles that occasionally when I'm applying the brakes (coming up to a red light, etc.) that the idle will go down below 1000 rpm and then up to around 1500 rpm before dropping down again. I'm concerned that one of these times I'm going to run into the car in front of me :)

I took the car to the dealer. They said my throttle body was fouled and cleaned it out. They told me to watch the gas I put in it. It still didn't fix the problem. I took it back to them and the Service Manager drove it and said that that is normal.

I don't recall this car acting like this in the past. Anyone else have this problem?

It's a 2001 GLS Elantra with Automatic tranny.

Thanks!!

Frank
  • hyundaimahyundaima Member Posts: 197
    If you look at previous posts you'll see that an elevated idle is a common problem and (I think) is covered by a TSB. I have a 5-speed, so it really hasn't bothered me, it happens only occasionally.
    The dealer is Rick Case Hyundai, Duluth, Georgia
  • tnjackietnjackie Member Posts: 19
    I am going to try to buy a 2002 Elantra GLS with package 2 or even maybe package 4 with moonroof. I live in Memphis and wonder if anyone would be willing to help me determine what I should pay for either of these. I have looked at the prices on Edmunds and want to negotiate the best price I can get, and would really appreciate some help. Also want to know if gas mileage is as estimated. Are you at least getting that? Thanks so much. I really enjoy this forum and all the comments, which is what helped me decide to go for the Elantra over other cars. Waiting for your answers if you would be so kind to advise.
  • dmarzo1dmarzo1 Member Posts: 37
    I put together a little spreadsheet for someone else on these boards and am happy to edit it a bit for your purposes and send it your way. Will give you a one page overview of invoice/MSRP/edmunds rates. My best guess is that you should be able to get invoice plus the $500 rebate that ends at the end of the month Email me at dmarzo1@hotmail.com and I will be happy to forward it to you.

Gas mileage seems to be as estimated and the car has surpassed my expectations (except for one annoying rattle that I am still trying to pinpoint :)

Dave
  • claywaterfillclaywaterfill Member Posts: 534
    I just read the December, 2001 installment of the long term test on the Elantra. It sounds like they generally like the car, but even they give in to bias, IMO. They say that the Elantra does not have keyess entry or cruise conrol, and they are missed. Well, if those features were so important, why did they choose a package 1 Elantra to test? A package 2 for just a little more money would ease those concerns in a hurry. They also want to blame the car because they keep getting hit with debris on the road. They charge the car with repair costs because the windshield got hit with a rock and had to be replaced. That's not the car's fault. Maybe they should mention how great the car is because they only had to repair 1 thing in over 12,000 miles--and it was not the car's fault. Also, they lament how they hit a traffic cone the next day and left a ding in the hood--again, whose fault is that? On the windshield, I think their market drove up the repair cost anyway. Everything is more expensive in San Francisco, isn't it? My mother-in-law replaced the windshield on her 1998 Regal (much bigger than an Elantra) for about $180 a couple of years ago. Last year I replaced the windshield on my Sephia for under $150. I also don't like they way he says it is a great, easy to drive, comfortable car perfect for commuting and he would by one if he was "short on dough." That little jab takes away the whole sentiment. He is saying "It is a great car for what we need it for and all, but I still would only buy a Hyundai if I were poor." I think they could have done a better job writing about a car that has proven (to them anyway) to be trouble free and good to drive. But, that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.
  • lokannalokanna Member Posts: 22
    I agree and disagree. Overall, I see what you're saying by reading the road test. It would seem that the editors are consistant with the "At least we don't have to own one, cuz we're not poor." I'm not poor, I could purchase any higher end small compact, but the fact remains, no other car can match the amount of items offered by the Elantra, and with the price so low, it's a no brainer. I guess just because I value other items as much as my new car, I'm "forced" into this car which they seem to enjoy, yet disregard because it's not what their friends want.

What I do disagree with is what they're saying by their comments. It might not always mean 'short on dough', maybe the reviewer is trying to say that while the Elantra is a competant car, that particular one enjoys a more spritely drive provided by a WRX, or Protege, etc?

I'm still thankful Edmunds is doing a long term on the Elantra, it's one of the reasons I'm buying one.
    Not only am I purchasing a new Elantra, but now my mother is too! She had a question however that I haven't seen covered by to many reviews so I figured I'd ask some owners. How is the paint on the Elantra? Specifically, is it durable? The main question she is curious about is if she buys the Elantra in Las Vegas (where she lives now) and moves to Illinois, will the harsh winter and salt on the roads cause rust issues, seeing as she bought the car in a desert environment?

Also, what about "Rust protection?" I know it used to be a joke with people when they purchased a car, is that still the case? Any help about this (or even a link with a fairly accurate and readable write up on the paint) would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
  • therhinotherhino Member Posts: 21
    I may have mentioned this before, but I had to give my wife my GT in trade for her GLS (they are both 2001's). The GT has about 9000 miles with just one previous problem; had to have the ignition switch replaced, the key just would not turn. It has been a great car! The GLS has about 14000 miles with no problems. I can't believe we bought both cars for the price of one. The price for both combined was about 27,500. Anyway, we're impressed with the quality of both cars.

Buoyant: We should all answer the question of "what do you drive?" with HYUNDAI and a karate chop! It's probably not politically correct, but I still like it...
    I don't think after market rust protection has been needed on any car for the last ten years.
    Therhino: Thank you. I think the kung fu gesture has sold a few more Hyundais actually (I should be getting a commission). Other people I've spoke with want to do the same as me (it's kind of hard to shout "Chevrolet" with similar effect)!

As far as price, it all comes back to the image issue. If image is a critical factor to you, you shouldn't be shopping Hyundai PERIOD.

I also wouldn't recommend a Hyundai to any guy who has feelings of inadequecy (such guys are much better off going with larger truck-based vehicles or something with an image that makes them feel more masculine). It's definitely not a car for the overcompensating male.

Personally, I could've afforded a much more expensive car (and I guarantee I'm not the only Elantra owner in this boat), but what the hell? I looked at a whole slew of cars (some costing twice as much) and came back to the cheapest one (the two cars I liked the most of the ones I drove were the Elantra and Jetta turbo - the cheapest and one of the most expensive respectively).

If I can buy a car I REALLY like for $13,000, it's hard for me to justify spending more. Is the Jetta turbo a nicer car? Sure is. I just didn't think it was $8000 nicer. It's not like automobiles are investments or something.

At my age, I need to keep building up net worth - and that means not sinking fistfuls of $$$ into my car.

And the best part of it all is that the Elantra doesn't "look" inexpensive (most automakers intentionally make their low-margin cars appear unsavory by keeping the bumpers unpainted or making the standard wheelcovers look like Kmart dinnerplates so you feel obligated to move up to a higher-margin model) until you see the little Hyundai emblem - tasteful and cheap. How can you beat that combo?

HYUNDAI!!!!!
  • silver_bulletsilver_bullet Member Posts: 1,339
    Great post... you sum up my feelings exactly, and you nicely explain why I can't seem to part with my '97 Nissan Pickup (purchased as a "stop gap" vehicle while waiting for the WRX to arrive - which I decided to forgo).
  • bri70bri70 Member Posts: 147
    I also agree with your post on Edmunds long term test. Still, Edmunds gives a fairer shake to Hyundai than say to Cadillac or many other American makes.

Edmunds had the 2K Elantra rated 3rd in its economy car showdown. I doubt you would have seen that from any other car mag.
  • rsinger2rsinger2 Member Posts: 19
    My dilemma has taken on the dimensions of the examination of "Quality" in Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance. Elantra GLS or WRX 5-spd sedan, back and forth ad nauseum. I have the WRX on order, due in mid-Feb. But I really liked the 5 spd GLS I drove. Is the thrill provided by the WRX real or illusory? I, too, can afford either, or quite a bit more if I so choose. I am just about frozen by this conundrum...and my wife's had about enough of it!, just wants me to buy a car or get off the checkbook. Damn, I'm feelin' feeble.
    Well, I'm in a bit of a different boat. I can't afford a WRX but I can afford the Elantra. If I could choose, and money wasn't an object, I would most likely go for the WRX only for the fact it has a more powerful engine. However, if I were to be practical, The Elantra to me is the best choice for the money, bar none. In fact, nay-sayers in other threads have critiqued me on my choice, and when I've asked them to please show me proof of their claims of infeariority, none have come back.

I do however wish I could own the WRX, man they look nice :)

On a different note, does anyone know of a review site that has information about the Elantra's (2001/2002) factory system and paint? I would really appreciate this as those two components are basically the last two areas I'd like to research.

Also, what are typical repair costs for the GLS? Average, higher, lower? And the same question for Insurance rates? Thanks guys!
    I have an '02 Elantra 5spd with 28K miles on it now, and I've got my first "problem".

It seems that when it's really cold out (which it has been for the last three weeks up here in MN) and I just start the car up, for the first few LEFT turns I make, the signal will not automatically cancel after I straighten out the wheel. It is NOT a problem when I make right turns. Interestingly, if I crank the wheel about another 20 degrees right-of-center after completing these first couple left turns of the day, it will actually cancel itself. UGH!

I'm hesistant to bring it in for repair now because the problem is intermittent. Hopefully it worsens enough that there is no question that it isn't working correctly and the techs don't having any problem figuring out what's wrong.

A small problem, but nevertheless quite frustrating!

- Mr. Left Turn
    I asked why back in August on this board. Concensus seemed to be that losses were for first part of the previous generation's losses. If you remember the Elantra's front and rear end were modified about '98 (when the grill was added).

I've heard comments about paint quality, but it seems very good to me. Same about negative comments about the sound-- guess I'm not on the cutting edge but I have no complaints.
  • th003gth003g Member Posts: 149
    I had cross shopped the GT with the WRX and the 2.5rs. IMHO I think the WRX and RS are cheaper cars if not for their engines and awd. Their interior is noticeably smaller and cheaper in quality. IMHO the elantra interior is better than the one in the civic or even in the new altima (which my father almost bought but did not on my advice). I'd compare the WRX interior and quality to that of a Kia or Suzuki. Paint is ok there were a few imperfections on my GT from teh factory, but hey, my...father's jag had a few also...
    For your info Here are the cars that My family owns:
    96 accent
    01.5 Elantra GT
    02 Elantra GLS
    96 Jag XJR
    96 Land Cruiser
    ( so we really did not need another speed demon or awd car anyway)

We did shop and almost buy the following cars before settling on our 2 elantra setup: 01 Sentra SE, Mazda Protege5, Subaru WRX/2.5rs, Legacy outback 3.0, Nissan Altima 2.5sl, Jetta 1.8T, Jag x-type V-6.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    I have the base stereo cassette. It's nothing special but not bad at all for a $12k econobox. The cassette, however, to me sounds better than any other car I have owned except my '99 GCS with the 10-speaker Infinity unit. And if you need better sound, it's a standard-sized unit that is easy to replace. I've driven rental Elantras with the 6-speaker upgrade stereo and the sound was a little crisper, but not audiophile quality.

The paint is very good finish-wise--very smooth, good but not exceptional gloss (but I have a light color, champagne). To me the paint seems a little thin; for example, I have a couple of scuff marks on the doors down to the primer, yet the impact was not enough to dent the doors. They were easy to touch up, but on other cars I've owned it took more of an impact than that to wear through the color coat.

My insurance (Farmers) for my '01 GLS is about the same as it was for my last car, a '97 Sentra GXE. I don't think that is too bad. I do get several discounts, including multi-car, home + car, and non-smoker, and I am over 25--way over.
  • lharvillalharvilla Member Posts: 3
    You were asking about wheel and tire information. I just made a post about that in the Modifications section. Go over there and check it out.

Like your car, I've just gone over 22,000 miles, and haven't had a single problem that I haven't caused. :) I need to replace a lug bolt I broke in two while trying to rotate my tires, and I have a little body damage from an accident, but that's it.
    I am now the owner of a new 2002 Elantra GLS in pewter color with auto and convenience package that included keyless remove with alarm and up grade to amfm stereo cd. Hope it will be a good car. I did enjoy driving it home from the dealer a little while ago. Enjoyed reading all the posts here and it helped me make up my mind. Thanks.
    Can anyone tell me where to go to find this extra? They had one on the lot but it was a $225 option and I did not like the color. This is the wood looking trim package that fits on the dash and doors. Thanks.
  • jyk1981jyk1981 Member Posts: 37
    I think you need to order from online for that package or maybe you need to order at the dealer.

if you go to Hyundai's official web site (www.hyundaiusa.com), click owner information -> parts -> vehicle accessories -> type in zip code -> choose dealer -> 2001 elantra -> wood trim package

I believe Hyundai makes only one color of wood trim package..

If you don't like Hyundai's wood trim package's color, then you need to buy from other online store. I think these stores have some other colors.

http://www.hdkautosport.com/

http://www.autoanything.com

http://www.exoticwooddash.com

Thanks for the information. I got on the Hyundai site and they do have it in the parts department however my local dealer was not on it so we will call the parts department Monday and check it out. Thanks. again.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    I test drove an Elantra pkg 3 with 5 speed today, but was a little turned off when upon starting it, the belt immediately started squeaking loudly and did it off and on during the test drive. I checked the alternator belt and it seemed plenty tight. Anyone else ever encounter this? I was also disappointed with how the dealer had cared for the car. It had thick sand all over the driver's footwell and dirt marks all over the glovebox area. They should have been ashamed to let someone test drive it in that condition! The kicker was the shameful trade in value they offered for my mint condition 00 Accent with 21k. They appraised it at 3500 (what the hell??) and then increased it to 4700 begrudgingly, while asking for full sticker on the Elantra. I was pretty disgusted that a Hyundai dealer wouldn't offer a more favorable trade in on their own cars. Even the salesman was shocked the car was 2 years old and said it looked brand new. Needless to say, I will keep my Accent for awhile longer. I didn't need the Elantra, just wanted something with more performance and more power accessories. It would help Hyundai's image if their own dealers would at least offer good trade in on them.
    I don't know where you live, but where I do, I have 4-5 dealers within about a 45 minute drive. You might consider trying another? Perhaps that dealership is unique. The current dealer I'm negotiating with has been nothing short of outstanding. They've honored my requests, given me timley, factual information, and even walked me through some steps I was unsure of, without "taking me for a ride". Hopefully you'll have more options.
    remember these are rentals and the price is non-negotiable. I think they turn them over quite rapidly. At least my local lot keeps individual cars on the lot for only a week or two before they disappear. In the St. Louis market they have 7 Accents from 18-24K all listed at $8994.

Dealerships remain the weak link in Hyundai's game plan. Yours was trying to screw you over.
    Yep, they were definitely trying to screw me over. My car blue books at 5500-6000, but I would expect even more then that if they want me to pay full sticker on the Elantra. It really ticked me off considering I bought the car there. You would think they would like repeat business and give you a better deal. Oh well, they just lost my busines permanently. Unfortunately, the closest Hyundai dealer is at least an hour and half away from me. Dealers with large selections are even farther at 3-5 hours away. It sucks to live in Tallahassee, Florida. You live in a medium sized city in the middle of NOWHERE. I'll just wait until the right deal comes along, but now I have my heart set on a Mazda Miata. That car fits me perfect and is a hoot to drive.
  • newsviewnewsview Member Posts: 34
    RE: Various posts:

I've also had both front struts lubricated and the passenger side replaced when it started creaking again. The problem was evident right from the start. This makes at least two reports that I'm aware of so it isn't likely to be an isolated incident. (See post #2124 of 2291)

I also note that the steering wheel seems just a tad crooked to the right. It could be an optical illusion given the curvature of the dash behind it, but it's increasingly irritating. There's no pull to the right or left while driving but Edmund's own long-term road test seemed to indicate a similar problem. It seems I'm always holding it ever so slightly at an angle relative to the instrument panel.

I've also had problems with water spotting the paint. Right from the dealer lot it had water stains and the dealer performed an acid wash a month or so later. Afterward, they used steel wool to get the water stains off the front and rear windows but I have yet to do the sides. :-(

These efforts helped but didn't eliminate the problem. I've waxed it four times in less than six months and there are still spots on my Champagne finish every time a sprinkler hits it, etc. A lot of these spots don't disappear. I'd really like a new paint job (clear coat). If anyone knows how to go about getting the dealer to agree to such, I'd appreciate advice.

Also, I hear all the interior buzzes as reported in other posts. Some were fixed by dealer others are outstanding.

I also hear an engine rattle (described as a popping sound by a friend who popped the hood and listened) when the car is cold or the weather is cold (California cold, not real cold!). In five months, I've only gone 3K because the dealer has yet to fix it after over five days in the shop off and on. The noise is louder now than it started off. One service tech said it could be the "lifters" delivering oil to the engine. Another said it could be cold celinoids. Another claimed to have fixed it by tightening an exhaust "shield" but this made no difference. I've searched these boards and no one else seems to have this problem. If you can relate, please speak up and let me know what, if anything, can be done! I'm afraid something is working its way loose!

Last but not least, a belated response to those who asked about the double-height CD/cassette stereo I installed. No, I did not replace the speakers. I wasn't looking for the ability to create an ultimate stereo system so the existing speakers work just fine with my Jensen CM720K. The Jensen was on clearance at a local Sears in October which brought the price down to $150. What a deal!

The after market stereo/CD/cassette still sounds great but when the dealer had to replace my clock—another problem that has been mentioned here—they must have loosened a connection because now the stereo area below the clock rattles. So I have to ask the dealer check those connections too since it was fine before they replaced my '01 Elantra's LCD.

Anyone with similar experiences or solutions is encouraged to respond. Thanks.
    I'm sorry to say, its not the finish that is the problem. Any car will spot when hard water (especially sprinkler water) is allowed to dry on the finish (it's the minerals like calcium solidifying unto the paint). The spots are difficult to get rid of if the sun is allowed to "burn" the marks into the paint. Parking away from sprinklers and drying your car after washing should alleviate this problem. I don't think you have any recourse for getting the dealer to repaint the car. It's not his fault the water in your area has high mineral deposits. Anyway, I'm sure a lot of people deal with spots, so don't let it bug you so much. My Accent gets spots all over it if I don't hand dry the car after washing it, especially on the windows. A hard rain will usually wash away most of the spots, which tells me my city water is very hard. But some of them don't go away unless I rescrub the car or wax it.

As for the engine noise, it sounds like your lifters are tapping some. This is not unusual, although it shouldn't occur on a hydraulic setup so new. As long as it taps for a very short time on only cold mornings, it's probably fine. But if it continues to get louder and tap longer, then most likely one or more of your lifters are losing hydraulic pressure and getting loose, thus making the noise you hear. It's something that is covered under the 100k powertrain warranty, so I wouldn't worry too much. Noisy lifters won't hurt your car in any way. It's not like the lifter will just fly off and leave you stranded. The most it would do is cause a slight decrease in max power and fuel economy. Hope this info helps.
  • printzprintz Member Posts: 70
    But I just did.....GLS( auto, silver), pack.5, mud guards, cargo net, floor mats, dealer installed spoiler, for 14,300 + tax.......Learned alot from all the posts & long term road test....What sold me was the test drive......The car's peppy & pretty solid, I was impressed..........Will keep everyone in touch, i'm not getting it till mid Feb........
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    I don't know what the stigma everyone has with Hyundai. Every since the Accent debuted in 1995, they have been providing trouble-free cars with low prices. And then America's Best Warranty to boot now. It's just impressions I guess.

I would never buy a Hyundai when they first came out, but I would definitely buy one now. They are all pretty nice actually.
  • beeryr4beeryr4 Member Posts: 19
    Perhaps it is the name "Hyundai". It is not exactly well known. And to me when I first started looking, it was not obvious how to pronounce it.

I didn't even consider Hyundai until I read a couple good Elanta reviews and noted its lower price. Then I decided I might as well take a closer look at it. Now I own one.
  • brentcadlebrentcadle Member Posts: 14
    I have a 2001 Elantra...just got back from having the computer reprogrammed for the 2-3 shift problem that was mentioned on this board. It took 20 minutes to fix...I will let you know if it makes a differencr or not.
    I work with a person who was a Chinese immigrant and now is an American citizen who speaks, French, Chinese, American, and Korean.
    He says the proper pronunciation is H yoon die
    (Said very fast)

Hey, Brentcandle.
    I'm jealous. ;-)
    I tried to get my 01 elantra reprogrammed last weekend but the dealers unit was broken.
    :-(
    Good luck and we will all be waiting for your results after a few weeks of driving.
    I had an interesting experience today with my Hyundai Accent that I thought I would share with everyone. It proves to me that Hyundai is willing to stand behind their products, and replace things they don't even have to.
    My 00 Accent has been making a whirring sound (like a worn out bearing) from the clutch ever since the car had about 900 miles on it. The noise was very intermittent and was really only noticeable if you were sitting in neutral and had the radio and AC turned off. Because it was hard to get it to duplicate on command, I ignored it. At 21,300 miles, the whirring had turned into a louder whistling noise as well and would also chatter if you just put slight pressure on the clutch pedal without fully pressing it down. The noise stops as soon as you push the pedal to the floor and starts right back up when you release it. This told me I had a bad throw out release bearing. Since the noise was present all the time now and was louder if you got the car hot, I decided to take it into the dealer and give my warranty a workout. Of course, as I feared, the service department called me and asked me to come back down because 2 service techs couldn't hear the noise. I was a little ticked that they didn't have me do that in the first place, but oh well. I went down there and took the service tech for a ride. Low and behold it made the nasty sounding chattering noise while sitting in neutral with my foot just barely touching the clutch pedal. The tech heard the noise and agreed it was very odd. They asked me to leave the car so they could try to trace the noise. I called at the end of the day to find out what the problem was. I was told they found the problem and ordered the parts. They told me they were replacing the throw out release bearing (surprise surprise, LOL), but were also replacing my entire clutch (the pressure plate and clutch disc)! I was a bit shocked they were doing that. He said it would all be covered under warranty. Folks, the clutch is considered a normal wear item that is not covered by warranty, but Hyundai is eating the cost anyway! Now, I don't know whether the dealer is lying to Hyundai saying the clutch is chattering in order to screw them out of more labor costs, but I'm thoroughly impressed Hyundai is replacing it with no problems. I don't know if the bad bearing put any undue wear on the clutch itself, but I do know the clutch has always been weak. It caused the car to buck slightly when cold and you could tell the pressure plate was weak or warped. I just chalked it up to a weak part and figured it would last me till I traded it so I wasn't too concerned. I'm totally jazzed that they are replacing the biggest annoyance with how the car drives. It should make it drive new again! The only thing I'm concerned with is letting the dealer take apart my tranny to do this work. I hope they don't break anything or cause other noises and rattles to start. Wish me luck!!
    Anyway, I just thought I would tell everyone how Hyundai has really stood behind its product in my case. I didn't have to fight with anyone. It's as if they realize their bearing sucked and is doing the whole clutch as a goodwill effort. Needless to say, I'm happy with the experience! I just hope this will be the last repair and the last bad bearing I will have to deal with (had the water pump replaced at 15k due to a bad bearing).
  • chaimestchaimest Member Posts: 6
    regarding message #2160 I live in New York and the insurance for my '02 Elantra is over $3k a year and that's with all the possible discounts. (clean driving, ABS, etc...)
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    How many tickets do you have? And also, age? Those two things matter when considering car insurance prices. I have a 2002 1.8T Jetta, live in a major city (that matters too), and have 1 point on my driving record. My insurance is $230 a month.