Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Elantra 2001-2006

Comments

• backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    I recall back when Hyundai opened up shop in the U.S. and people were wondering how to say "Hyundai", the Hyundai P.R. folks made it clear that we were to say HUN-day. Maybe that's not how it's pronounced in the rest of the world, but maybe the Hyundai marketing team decided that it would make it simpler for their U.S. customers--rhyming with Sunday.
  • frobeyfrobey Member Posts: 17
    Hi,

I too have the rattling sound coming from under the hood, mostly when I start it up in the morning. I took it in to the dealer and they said that it was something loose in the catalytic converter and they replaced the converter...Didn't solve the noise. On my car, it appears that the cover that goes over the whole engine is kinda loose, I can move it up and down with my hand, but the bolts are tight. I'm wondering if they forgot to put some rubber washer's in there.

I'm going to take it back and have them look at when I take it back for the high idle as well as the buzzing noise. I told them about the buzzing noise and they said one of my speakers was blown and they replaced it but that didn't solve it.

Will let you know if they ever figure it out :)

Frank
  • hjr2hjr2 Member Posts: 105
    it is the alignment; pure and simple. My 1999 sonata was crooked after a few hundred miles of driving, and the tiburon the same.
    took both to Sears(Sonata was free alignment, but still off-center, they did not do a good job at delaership for alignment)....and after sears, No problems for about a year...when they naturally went outta whack from driving.

Seems ALL(?) Hyundais are outta alignment shortly after driving a few miles. Maybe has soemthing to do with them not being aligned before shipping,at least properly aligned?
  • desgdesg Member Posts: 52
    I remember years ago an alignment was included at the 1000 mile mark

It was simply because the components bedding in over the first 1000 miles (do I hear someone say run in period ...) and as a result it was usually out a little.

Mine is also out marginally after 1300km
  • mike91326mike91326 Member Posts: 251
    What is the part number of the K&N air filter for the 2001 Elantra GLS? Thanks.
  • lyndon5lyndon5 Member Posts: 20
    Michelins are very thin at this point, will replace next week. I like the way they handled, but I am disappointed with the mileage. Only problem so far has been the clutch. Early on it developed a loud groaning squeak. After lubricating all linkage points, dealer determined the noise was in the pressure plate. Dealer replaced clutch assembly free and furnished a vehicle while they worked on the car. I had to point out some sloppy dealer reassembly (plastic plug and connectors left off), but the new clutch is fine. This car is my wifes daily commuter and both of us enjoy driving it. It handles reasonably well and is peppy for this class of car. I believe we will get many miles from this car.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    I have been following total car sales trends since 1999. Look at the amazing increases in Hyundai sales: 1999: 164,190 2000: 244,391 2001: 346,235
    That's an increase of almost 200,000 units in a matter of 2 years! Hyundai started off in 99 as the 23rd name brand in sales out of 37 (not including low volume cars like Bentley, Rolls, Ferrari, etc). They moved up to the 18th spot in 2000 and are now at the 13th spot, just 10,000 units away from overtaking VW in sales. I find it fascinating how quickly they are rising. Shows a lot of people are beginning to discover the good quality and value in Hyundai products. Kia also shows big gains. It started at the 26th spot and has risen to the 19th spot for 2001. An interesting side note: Chrysler is in trouble again. Dodge has now been overtaken by Toyota for the 3rd best in sales.
  • zigliflerziglifler Member Posts: 99
    where are you finding these stats at may i ask ?
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    Here's the link to family car sales: http://www.autosite.com/editoria/asmr/svolfc.asp

From there you can click on the Home link and look at the other classes of cars and trucks. I spent hours adding up every car and then putting it into a spreadsheet. I'm just obsessed with cars and wanted to follow car sales over a period of time. A few sales data I had to find by going to the manufacturer's websites and looking in their news links.

• fushigifushigi Member Posts: 1,459
    K&N filter 33-2201
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
  • rsinger2rsinger2 Member Posts: 19
    Anybody heard about this? Rumor is that an Elantra sedan (not hatchback) with GT appointments will be on the lots before summer.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    A major newspaper is looking to interview folks who learned how to drive stick in their adulthood, and either fell in love or hated it. Also welcome is any input on why people love to drive stick, and any unusual anecdotes about how you learned etc.

Hope to hear from you before Feb 22 via the Talk to the Press discussion or at [email protected] with your thoughts and contact information.

Thanks as always,

Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director, Edmunds.com
    Anybody heard about this? Rumor is that an Elantra sedan (not hatchback) with GT appointments will be on the lots before summer.
    My dealer told me that there has been talk of a "GTS" for 2003. Rumor has it that it would have the GT suspension, 16" wheels and the Tibs 6-speed as an option. However, he told me that there is no talk of a V6 at this time.
    Actually, as a corporation Hyundai is #8 in sales worldwide as of 2000. Here are the top ten, as reported by the Automotive News Data Center (from an article in today's Star Tribune, Newspaper of the Twin Cities):

1. GM 8.591 (in millions)
    2. Ford 7.350
    3. Toyota 5.703
    4. VW 5.161
    5. DaimlerChrysler 4.749
    6. PSA Peugeot Citroen 2.878
    7. Fiat 2.646
    8. Hyundai 2.635
    9. Nissan 2.629
    10. Honda 2.540

The Hyundai figures include Kia, of course. Based on Hyundai's and Kia's strong sales last year, it is possible that Hyundai/Kia is now as high as #6 worldwide. But I haven't seen 2001 figures.
    Don't like to post 2 in a row, but my '01 GLS just turned over to 10,000 miles (in fact it is sitting at 10k in my garage right now), so I thought I'd give a report. I bought it in late October 2000. Almost all miles have been around-town driving. No significant problems so far. It acquired a fast-idle condition last fall, but it disappeared after a couple of weeks and has not returned. There is a new buzz that is most noticeable when I lift the clutch pedal when shifting; it's not very loud so I'll wait until the next oil change to have it checked. And there is an occasional plasticky buzz from the passenger side that I will investigate when I get time, or wait until the oil change. I think it's the door panel. The paint, seat fabric and carpet mats are holding up well; the seats show no signs of wear (so even though some reviewers say the fabric is "cheap looking", it seems to be durable). The driver's seat is still one of the most comfortable I've ever sat in. The shifter freed up around 1600 miles and is now quite smooth. Fuel economy has been averaging between 27-28 mpg for several months, sometimes creeping up to 30 in the summer. The worst I got was 24 when the car was new last winter, and the best was 40 on an all-freeway trip. So far I've avoided any dings, although my lovely wife slammed a rear door on the seat belt buckle a few days ago and put a dent in the door jamb--at least it isn't visible from the outside. Overall, I'm very satisfied with the car.
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    No problems what so ever. Agree with Backy that the 5-speed is loosening up, at first I thought it had kind of long throws but I guess I've gotten used to it. Hopefully I'll be able to get 200K out of it, it's the pleasant kind of car that (at this stage at least) seems like it will age well. Slight vibration was fixed by $7.95 a tire Wal-Mart lifetime rotation and balance. Three $11.99 Wal-Mart oil changes specifying (on a sign that I paste over the dash) NO FRAM FILTERS. Other than that, no maintenance expenses.
  • wiredsungwiredsung Member Posts: 7
    huh?! Hyundai sells more cars then Honda worldwide?!
    both here and on the GT forum. Someone suggested slightly bending the door tab inward. I did and it works fine. No more multiple pulls.
  • ooooooo48ooooooo48 Member Posts: 7
    9000 units. Not alot.
    Hyundai Hopews to overtake Hyudnai in usa sales. In jan, they out were about 30000 ahed of vw, but only(mitsu) by 1000 units.(mitsu's "no payments for 1 year is attracting buyers).
  • truth2truth2 Member Posts: 1
    The window sticker on the 2001 Elantra says to expect 24 to 33 mpg. I do suburban driving, including lots on the parkway, and have been unable to break above 21 mpg. I just had my 7500 mile check up and the dealer says everything checks out. Do I have a lemon, or is everyone with a 2001 Elantra getting this unexpectedly poor gas mileage? Either way, what do I/we do about it? On my previous car, a 1993 Mazda 626, I was getting 25!
  • mpgmanmpgman Member Posts: 723
    I have an automatic 2001.5 GT. I get between 33 and 36 on the highway at steady speeds with a light foot, and about 27-28 in mostly suburban type driving. I've never done pure city, and the worst I've gotten is 24 this winter. I have 20,000 miles on the car. I know that a lot of people claim that mpgs get better with more miles, but I have never witnessed this phenomenom. My mpgs have been the same since day one. Winter blending can cost you 2-4 mpgs, but your mpgs sound a bit low. Do you accelerate hard? Did you follow the break-in instructions?
  • pokerdocpokerdoc Member Posts: 9
    Our '01 GLS package 5 just hit the 12,000 mile mark. We bought it in December '00 and use it mostly in-city. Little problems here and there, nothing major – the driver’s side door light wouldn’t work and the electrical harness had to be replaced, and the fading yellow clock was replaced with a BRIGHT green one. And the stereo system is a little lacking. But, along with truth2, my only real complaint is the mpg which hasn’t improved since the beginning – while I’m reading about everyone else’s outstanding performance, I’m getting the low end of the spectrum, about 23 city and 26 highway, the lowest of any vehicle I’ve owned. I’ve just changed the air filter and switched to synthetic oil, and filled my tires to the max…we’ll see if this changes anything.

BTW, for the first three months we heard in intermittant buzz coming from the headliner, and depending on where you were sitting in the car, it seemed to be coming from opposite corners of the dash. Imagine our chagrin when we finally discovered it was just my suglasses rattling up in the holder. Dumb, dumb, dumb.
    As I noted on an earlier post, I'm consistently getting in the high 20s with my '01 GLS 5-speed this winter, and close to 30 last summer. This is in almost all in-town driving, about half of it on freeways (which are frequently bumper-to-bumper). I do try to drive economically, that is, upshift as soon as possible, keep cruising revs around 2000 (except on the freeway of course), and try to drive close to the posted speeds (which means not over 65 in my area). I usually use a light foot on the accelerator, except once and awhile when I have the urge to feel all 140 horses and gun it. I also try to anticipate stoplights so I can drive through them rather than stop, then start off again. I put the tire pressure up to 35 psi this fall when it was about 30 degrees, and since it hasn't been that cold this winter the pressure has been within a couple psi of that all winter. That's higher than the recommended pressure, but I've noticed better handling and mpg and only a slightly firmer ride.

I've noticed when my wife drives the GLS, which is not often, the gas gauge goes down a lot faster than when I drive it. She doesn't drive a stick often and I don't think she knows all the tricks, e.g. she probably is in too high a gear. She also likes to run the A/C almost all the time, even in cool weather.
  • brentcadlebrentcadle Member Posts: 14
    I have a 2001 Automatic GLS with 44,000 miles. I drive 124 miles to and from work. Half the trip is Highway and half is bumper to bumper. I am 25 and tend to gun the throttle ALOT. At first I was averaging 25mpg weekly until I bought a K&N air filter (lifetime-reusable) I now average 29mpg. The filter is only about $45 which is well worth the mpg savings for me. I also noticed an increase in power when accelerating from a stop.
    I am planing to install fog or driving lights on my 01 Elantra GLS. I would like to install a switch in one of the three knockouts next to the dash light dimmer. Do any of you know if Hyundai or a third party makes a switch that would give me a factory, or near factory look?
  • jyk1981jyk1981 Member Posts: 37
    I just installed fog light for my 01 Elantra GLS.
    I paid about $130 including install fee.
    I think usually the after-market fog light is smaller then the factory one. The switch is located at near(behind) the steering wheel. I think the dealer or other shop will cost more if you try to install the switch next to the dash light dimmer. It took me about 4 hours to install.
  • gt_fangt_fan Member Posts: 159
    In my first 2301 miles, I've burned 76.24 gallons of gas, giving me 30.2 mpg. My commute is 50/50 city and highway with about 20% of that in bumper to bumper traffic. I use all the tricks (short shifting, coasting down hills in neutral, etc.). On one 120 mile trip on the interstate, the computer showed a 44 mpg average. I have noticed, though, that when I drive like I did when I was a teen (I'm not admitting how long ago that was!) the mileage drops to the low to mid twenties. IMHO, this car really rewards a light foot.
    That's been about average for me, although the engine is continuing to loosen up and things might get better when winter blends are discontinued and it's still cool enough not to run the A/C. I'm satisfied, although others report doing better. If I was still in the low 20's I'd take it back to the dealer.
  • rs18rs18 Member Posts: 4
    Sorry for the double post but the GT and Sedan shares the same engine so I thought I'd post this here as well.

Need some help guys. New Elantra GT. Engine pings when accelerating or climbing hills. It's not the gas, I've tried several brands and even premium gas. You won't hear the ping if your window is down or radio is on.

Also noticed that when the engine is idling and you open the hood, a loud hissing sound can be heard on the driver's side of the engine. Is this normal? Can you guys open your hoods (engine idling) and just do a 10 second check for the hissing sound.
  • ciorancioran Member Posts: 2
    Hello everybody,

I have a 5-speed 01 Elantra GLS. It just passed the 10k miles mark.

I have noticed lately that the clutch makes noise when is either depressed or pressed and when the car is warm, say, after 10 min of driving.

I took it to the dealer to have the clutch checked.

They found the clutch release fork noisy. They lubed it but never fixed it.

I have been driving 400 miles like this. I do not see any change. I'd take it back to the dealer but I want to have some input. How bad could it be?

Of course I do not want to be an idiot and get stuck on the highway.

Thanks

cioran
    What kind of noise is it? Where is it coming from (i.e., internally from the clutch, or from the pedal)?
  • newsviewnewsview Member Posts: 34
    Thanks for the feedback. It's good to know that I'm not the only one experiencing this odd problem with pinging or knocking upon cold-acceleration.

If there are any solutions or similar experiences, please post and let me know. I will take everything I can find on the issue to my dealer and report back for the benefit of all concerned.

I'd also like to thank the person who said that an aligment corrected their crooked stearing wheel. I had my right strut replaced and the left lubricated during which time they probably had an opportunity to realign it but it came back in the same condition. So I'll see about that too and keep folks here posted.
  • printzprintz Member Posts: 70
    Just picked it up(auto, pack 5).....Solid, peppy little car....In reference to the person with the mileage problem, it states on the window sticker(city, anywhere between 20-28mpg, 28-38highway)..So any particular car can fall anywhere in that range.....Will keep any new possible Elantra buyers up to date on my car...
  • ciorancioran Member Posts: 2
    Hello,

It is a low pitch noise. It starts when the pedal is almost fully pressed, say the last quarter of the run. So I think it comes from the pedal. When the pedal is released the noise will be not always present. Sorry the dumb question but how do you know it is internal?

BTW the shifting has been normal. I do not feel the stick stuck o something like that. This is why I haven't been so pressed to go to to the dealer.

Thanks
    Thanks for the clarification. I asked for a description because I've recently noticed a low-pitched squeak when I press and release the clutch pedal on my '01 GLS, but the noise occurs at about 1/2 way down (and up), not near the end like yours does. It is not that loud, but I do notice it, and it is accompanied by some friction--almost like a hinge is wearing. I'll have the dealer check it out at the next oil change in a few weeks (11,250 mi). I don't know enough about clutch assemblies to diagnose it.
  • panamaltd2panamaltd2 Member Posts: 162
    My friend just crashed her 86 Nissan Sentra and her parents are looking for a new car for her. Her parents are very conservative and want a car with good reliability and cheap price while my friend wants a car that is not too dumpy for the price range. When first asked I thought Kia Rio or Accent but then i looked at the prices for the Elantra and was very surprised at how cheap it was. So how do you guys like your cars and have they been reliable? Also how does the 5-speed drive? Any feed-back would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Sam
  • zigliflerziglifler Member Posts: 99
    go test drive the elantra and i am sure u will be very happy with it . I have a gt myself and for what u get and what they cost tyou can't beat them .
    Defintely check out the Elantra, it's a lot more car than the Accent or Rio for not much more money. I like the 5-speed, it has strong performance for its class and the shifter is quite smooth (after loosening up in the first few weeks). Check out the long-term Edmunds.com review of the GLS--they bought a 5-speed and have made several comments about the smoothness of the powertrain.

But if good reliability is the #1 requirement, you may want to steer towards the Toyota ECHO or the new Corolla, or perhaps the Sentra or Protege. They have better reliability records than the Elantra, although the Elantra has been improving and costs less, comparably equipped. It has a superior warranty also. My Elantra has been reliable, with only a couple of minor squeaks/rattles in 16 months of ownership.
  • mauvasmauvas Member Posts: 18
    I would suggest that you should go for the Elantra. Your friend wont be wrong. Instead of buying an Echo or Rio or Accent (though they are fine cars) for almost the same money she will have a bigger car with the most powerfull engine in its category, the best equipped car for the price and the best warranty. I owned a Elantra 1997 GLS which I sold after about three years with more than 30K miles on it. Not a single problem. It was sold only because I moved to this country. I presently own an Elantra 2001 VE (GLS in U.S.), which I bought in july last year. I am very happy with the performance, the accesories, the smoothness, the style and after 6,000 km I only can praise it. If you want some information about the reliability check Carpoint.com. There they have reliability history for the elantra 1992 and newer models. Actually the Elantra outperforms a lot of other brands and models. I know already that some members don't believe in those reports, but I give them some credit.
    If your friend likes performance go for the stick and even better go and try the Elantra GT. I did last month and for me is the best way to use your money. After trying the GT you can go and give a test to the Corolla or the Civic. Ask for the price for the same Elantra configuration and for sure you will go back rushing to the Hyundai dealer to buy it.
  • rs18rs18 Member Posts: 4
    If you open the hood and look slightly behind the auto transmission dip stick, there is something that looks like an "small" oil filter facing up. It's not the oil filter so what is it?

I saw it on a GLS but my GT doesn't have it. Both are auto with the same beta engine.
  • tonykrapiltonykrapil Member Posts: 211
    Its the auto transmission filter
  • smiller678smiller678 Member Posts: 64
    Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has heard if Hyundai is going to produce and Elantra GTS (a sedan version of what the GT is)? Or was this just a rumour?

Shawn
    and have all three trim levels available in sedan and hatch.
  • mpgmanmpgman Member Posts: 723
    Love to see it but they may be concerned it would eat into Sonata sales. How about a Sonata GT?
    I think people looking for an Elantra GTS won't be the same buyers as for a Sonata. The GTS would be a small, fast, fun-to-drive compact sedan. The Sonata is a smooth-riding highway cruiser, the Buick of the Hyundais (if you will pardon the expression). For example, I would not buy a Sonata because it is too big for my tastes. But I would be interested in an Elantra GTS (except that I already own a '01 GLS).
    as per word from sr. management at Hyundai. In May 2002, that's the word I got. I'm surprised this isn't surfacing anywhere else, given the seeming believability of the information provided. I'm real eager to know just whay upgrades the sedan will get.
  • lyndon5lyndon5 Member Posts: 20
    Backy and Cioran,
    You may not have noticed my previous postings mentioning a low pitched squeaking noise on our 01
    Elantra. Happened when the clutch was depressed or released after the car warmed up. Kept waitng for it to dissapear, but the squeak got louder. Eventually, the dealer replaced the clutch under warranty after lubricating all the linkage twice. Also furnished a car for our use while clutch was being replaced. The work was done at around 20,000 miles. We are at 30,000 now with no further problems.
    When I was at my dealer on Friday for an oil change I asked them if there was going to be an Elantra GTS. The service manager said that he had heard that it would come out in late spring. He said that it would come with all of the GT's goodies but leather would be an option. Also, it appears that Hyundai will offer the Tib's 6-speed as an option in the GTS and GT.

Further, I was told that it appears that Hyundai is planning an XG350S sports sedan for 2003.
  • stern5stern5 Member Posts: 5
    What is a good source for pricing help? I have been pricing the 2002 Elantra option 3 automatic transmission vehicle. My price is well below the TMV. So what should I pay? This is my first new car purchase and I feel like I'm out of my league when dealing with this buying process.