Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Elantra 2001-2006

Comments

• lyndon5lyndon5 Member Posts: 20
    Just read your post from the 24th and I am curious as to why you would suggest an H rated Yokohama tire. Some people might object to the stiffer ride of the H rated sidewall, although it could be a better choice if one drives at high speeds on a regular basis. Yokohama's S rated Avid 4 is rated at 80,000 miles, costs a little less, and I believe matches the speed rating of the OEM Michelins.
  • gmcbride73gmcbride73 Member Posts: 6
    A fellow Elantra Owner was nice enough to take a picture of this for me. I have had my car for 5 months and had no idea this was in there.

• lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    I'd imagine he suggested an H-rated Yokohama because the original Michelins on your car are H-rated. They have this rating because the Elantra is capable of a top speed around 118-120, which would blow out the S-rated tire. An S-rated tire will save you a little money and last longer but they give up traction in most circumstances and offer less grip and less braking ability. I would not downgrade to a lower rated tire unless you really must have that 80k treadlife.
  • okeydokeyokeydokey Member Posts: 12
    I want to get a soft padded seat cover, but I can't imagine how that would work with the side airbag. any ideas?

OD
  • okeydokeyokeydokey Member Posts: 12
    let's see....

I noticed that the car goes at 80mph at 3000rpm.
    since the car redlines at 6500rpm.....

it should go 160mph at 6000rpm, without voiding the warranty, right? :)
  • intrepidspiritintrepidspirit Member Posts: 662
    Ingtonge18 is right -- I suggested H-rated because they equal original equipment rating and the S-rated tires are not listed as replacement choices for the Elantra on tirerack.com. I have no experience with these particular tires -- I recommended Yokohama in general because I am very pleased with my Yokomaha Avid T4's on my Chrysler 300M and they are are a much better value than the OEM tires. I don't have the performance handling package on my M, so it has a 118 mph speed limiter chip and T-rated are fine.

I haven't gone through my daughter's owner's manual, but doesn't the Elantra have a similar speed limiter chip?
    Nope. The Elantra's top speed is limited by wind resistance only. I don't think any Hyundais use a speed governor. I know the only thing stoping my Accent from going beyond 111 was wind resistance. The Tiburon, XG350, Sonata, and last gen Elantra were all tested with drag limited top speeds. I'm glad Hyundai doesn't use governors. I think the Focus governor that kicks in at 106mph is pathetic to say the least.
  • jimbeaumijimbeaumi Member Posts: 620
    I am certain I've read in more than mag that the Elantra's engine is rev-limited at 6500, and it begins a "fade-in" at around 6250.
    I guess I assumed there was a legal requirement for governors -- so now I'm wondering why some cars have them, and others not.

It's not like the auto industry to "save us from ourselves"...
  • browneybrowney Member Posts: 104
    I have 2 different ones in my 01 Elantra.
    I have a wooden bead seat cover on the drivers side and a fold up padded cushon on the passengers side.

The beaded one can be obtained at Wal-mart for about $10. This is actually not as uncomfortable as it sounds or looks. And it has the added plus of stopping static shocks when you slide across the seat.
    The fold up one can also be obtained at Wal-mart and has cloth on one side and sheep wool on the other side. This one was about $20.

Neither of these wrap around the seat so there is no airbag problem.
  • buoyantbuoyant Member Posts: 128
    I just had my windshield wiper arm replaced *for free* despite the fact that I was obviously at fault for the death of my last one (opening the hood with the arm in the off-the-windshield position). I was very impressed with the dealer, Hallmark Hyundai of Spokane, WA. They also did a very good job of washing the car before returning it to me.

I really love this car and the care Hyundai seems to be showing for its new owners. I probably won't be buying another Hyundai (I'd really like a MINI next), but I recommended this car highly to everyone I meet.

One thing I have noticed that I'm not so fond of however. I'm not really sure if it's an effect of moving out here to cowboy country or not, but the lenses on my car's headlights seem to have a bazillion chips on them already (for a car with only 10K miles). Has anyone else noticed this phenomena? It looks like the plastic on the lenses is very thin and not at all resistant to stone chips.
    Hi Buoyant, I haven't had the chipped lens problem, but I have contemplated using the clear custom-cut lens protectors from Auto Sport Catalog. They are at autosportcatalog.com. Has anyone out there ever purchased these covers? They are supposed to protect without changing the intensity of your headlights.
    You are right. Hyundai does use a rev limiter. But thats different from a speed governor. The rev limiter limits rpms so you don't overrev the engine. The speed governor cuts off spark and fuel to keep your car from going over a certain set speed. Hyundai doesn't use a speed governor but does use a rev limiter. Hope that clears the confusion.
    There is no US law that mandates a certain top speed for a car. My understanding is that sometimes speed governors are used because the manufacturer wants to save money by using cheaper tires. They also are sometimes used as a "good will" gesture and to help keep insurance premiums down (BMW is a prime example of this as they openly admitted to using them as a good will towards US insurance companies). In some cases, they are used because the mechanicals are simply not designed for high speeds and will self destruct or become unsafe(examples would be trucks and SUVs; for example, the driveshaft on the Chevy S10 and Blazer will fall apart above 100 mph so their top speed is limited to 96).
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    I never knew that about S10s and Blazers. My friend's mother had a Blazer, and it fell apart anyway at normal speeds within like 2 years of buying it. :)
    Thanks for the info...it makes perfect sense to limit the speed of a vehicle to what the tires, suspension, brakes, etc. can safely handle. In my case, the 300M is limited to 118 mph. For $500+, you can get the perfomance handling packaged (php - factory installed) which has performance rated tires, stiffer suspension and beefed up brakes. With this package, the governing chip is removed and the 300m has been tested to 159 mph; however, in my non-php car, I have reached only 110 :). I didn't anticipate too many ventures at 118+, so I opted for the standard vehicle with the smoother ride...
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    The Town Hall is about to take on a new look in an effort to make content more easily searchable and accessible.

Have you seen the Letter from the Town Hall Manager on the Town Hall Welcome page? If not, you might want to follow that link to have a look.

And hang on to your seats. Change is never easy - for any of us - but resolving the Search problems we've had will be worth the pain.

Pat
    Sedans Host
  • browneybrowney Member Posts: 104
    Great news Pat. I'll be watching for it.
    having said all that (post 2618), it is still disconcerting to think that my daughter could smoke me in her 2001 Elantra! LOL
  • chaimestchaimest Member Posts: 6
    I needed to have the remote keyless entry for my '02 Elantra replaced after I dropped it down the sewer. They charged me $40 for the "clicker" and $85 to program it.
    At the end of the March/02 report on the long term test of the 2001 Elantra GLS, Edmunds said to stay tuned "next month" to hear how they decided to say farewell to this car. However, I still haven't seen a report.

Is there some way we can find out if a report is to be issued?

Thanks, Pat!
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    I don't know what's going on. They had asked for comments by April 22, so I can understand why nothing came out in April, but it's already June!!

Try sending your question to editor@edmunds.com. Let us know what you hear!

Pat
    Sedans Host
  • goofy10goofy10 Member Posts: 17
    I got a price of $11,995 for an Elantra w/ package 5. How good of deal is this?
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    is less than I've heard with other cars. Did the programming fee include the fact that you had access to your original code that came with the key? I have that on my computer and should probably back if off on a floppy for safe keeping. Hope I keyed it in correctly.
    on where you live. In my area, the package 5 (standard transmission) is available from carsdirect.com @ $11,990. With auto trans it is $12,743. Auto trans without package 5 is $11,585 (best prices at local dealers is $10,988).

Prices vary across the country but are lowest in my area. So, if you do not live in Southern California, I think $11,995 is an excellent price for standard with package 5!
  • jlflemmonsjlflemmons Member Posts: 2,242
    I don't think you will find an Elantra with package 5 for that price in Texas. We are a long way, both geographically and politically, from the west coast!

Jim
  • ems1ems1 Member Posts: 48
    Just bought a pkg 5 Elantra on 5/31/02 with auto, mats, mud guards for $12,570 in Philadelphia, PA. So far, surprised how much I got for the $. The car performs quite well with good quality. Looked at Corolla, Focus, & Civic. Bought the Elantra for the good driver seating room, warranty and price.
    The Elantra is the best value by far in its class. I researched for 2 weeks before I bought my daughter's 2001 last year, and this car was the winner by far!
  • franzeyfranzey Member Posts: 9
    Has anyone noticed in their 2001 Elantra that the A/C does not chill very well? or is this something that is limited to my car only? I've had it into the dealer, but they tell me that it is cooling "within specs".
    My daughter's A/C cools very quickly and efficiently! At the time of purchase, we both remarked that it is much more effective than we expected in a 4-cylinder car of this size.

If yours does not perform as well, be persistent! You are free to choose any other Hyundai dealer. Hopefully, one of them will be more diligent and will correct it for you.

Good luck!
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Since the dealer claims the A/C is "within specs", ask to have the service tech take a ride with you in your car on a warm day with the A/C on, then take a ride in a new Elantra off the lot and see if there is a difference. I'll bet you'll find there is.
  • franzeyfranzey Member Posts: 9
    That's great idea. I am taking it in on Monday afternoon, I just hope it is as hot and humid then as it is now.
  • canccanc Member Posts: 715
    Sorry to be a lurker here, but I just want to comment on your recent post, saying: "The Elantra is the best value by far in its class. I researched for 2 weeks before I bought my daughter's 2001 last year, and this car was the winner by far!"

While I agree the Elantra is great value car, it's not the best. Why? Here are my reasons:

1. The warranty. While the US benefits from a 5-5-5 warranty on all Hyundais, Canada doesn't. We used to have a 6 year warranty, which dropped down to 5, and now down to 3, probably because Hyundais have become more well-known and accepted as a competitor.

2. Price. A loaded Hyundai Elantra will fetch a price very similar to a loaded Corolla LE. True, at the time when you shopped for your car, the Corolla was too expensive for the content. Have you, however, seen the new Corolla? It has finally become very competitive with the others in its class. The new Corolla LE, which would cost about $1500 CDN more, comes with many standard features, including ABS brakes.

3. Engine. The Elantra is a gas guzzler compared to the Corolla. The Elantra, to my knowledge, still uses a timing belt. The Corolla has a timing chain. Stainless steel exhaust is also standard on the Corolla on any model, which is important on our salty winter roads.

I'm not trying to flame the Hyundai or anyone's opinions about it, but rather saying that although I think it's a great car, it's not the best in its class. Hyundai has come a long way, and your comments here have proved this. But my question is, would anyone here spend $1500 CDN (about $600 more) for a Corolla?
    This relates to my previous post. I find it odd that Hyundai offers a 3-year warranty on its car, whereas Kia offers 5-year warranties on its cars. Isn't Kia owned by Hyundai? Maybe it's just because Kia is fairly new on Canadian soil, but it's just strange that a Sonata has a 3-year warranty, but a Kia Magentis (Kia Optima in the US) has a 5-year warranty, while they're both essentially the same car.
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    I assume you are talking Canadian when it comes to prices. Here, loaded Corolla LE models go for close to $17,000, nowhere near the price of the Elantra. And our warranty is 5 year/60K basic, 10/100K powertrain. Toyota can't touch it.
    yes, all prices are in Canadian dollars. To be more precise, here are the numbers, all in Canadian:

Toyota Corolla LE: $20,640
    Hyundai Elantra $16,995

Toyota warranty: Basic 3 yr/60,000 km., Powertrain 60/100,000, Corrosion-Perforation 60/unlimited
    Hyundai warranty: Basic 3 yr/60,000 km., Powertrain 60/100,000, Corrosion-Perforation 60/unlimited

So there's a $3645 difference between both cars, but no difference in warranty. The Corolla, although not perfect, is less expensive to maintain on the long run than an Elantra. Plus those added bonuses (like ABS, a $600 plus option alone) is included in the price of the Corolla. The Elantra doesn't have ABS. We have to upgrade to the Sonata to get them, or at least the Elantra GT, and even then it's an option.

For these main reasons, I think Hyundai is not competitive in Canada.
    I believe intrepidspirit said that the Elantra is the best value in the class, not "best in class." By the way, according to the Toyota USA website, ABS is optional on all three Corolla models. These items are also optional on the Corolla, standard on Elantra: side air bags, power locks, power windows, rear heat ducts. Perhaps we can agree that the Elantra is arguably (how do I underscore on this thread?) the best value. When it came down to spending my money (which was next to none), Elantra was indeed the best value.
    I used Canadian information when comparing these cars. I suggest visiting Toyota Canada's website for the correct information:

http://www.toyota.ca

Ironically enough, most Corollas sold in the upper US are made in Canada, but some come with options that are standard here.

The Elantra seems like a good buy in the US, but I beg to differ in a Canadian setting.

Perhaps we should ask intrepidspirit if he was comparing Canadian Corollas and Elantras or American. By the way, "correct" information for an American consumer will be found on the American website.
    Jim, I stated from my very first post that I was talking about Canadian cars. It seems you inferred otherwise and went on Toyota USA's website. In any case, it still goes back to what I said, which is the Elantra is not a very good buy here in Canada, when the competition is taken into consideration.
    I bought a 2001 Elantra GLS for the following reasons: First of all, my 2-week internet research pointed me directly to the Elantra. All the reviews marvelled at the quality, performance and value of this car (for example, see Edmund's initial review, plus their monthly updates on their long term Elantra). Edmunds also named it a "most wanted" (I think it was for the under $15,000 category).

Secondly, the prices were unbelievable! I paid $10,988 (with auto transmission). In the U.S., this price included power windows, doors, A/C, etc.

Although Hyundai reliability was already on the upswing, the 100,000 mile powertrain warranty eased any lingering concerns. As for poor gas mileage, 24 city and 33 highway isn't great, but certainly not in the gas-guzzler category! And with a heavier, more substantial car with the highest horsepower in its class (140), 1 or 2 miles per gallon less can easily be rationalized.

Would I pay $3,645 Cdn.($20,640 - $16,995) ($2,370 U.S.) more for a Corolla? No. I would be paying 21.5% more for a car that all the reviews said was inferior to the Elantra.

Mind you, I don't have to deal with the salty roads (I used to!) and a shorter warranty could be an issue for you, but for my circumstances, this was the best buy!

By the way, before I began my research, I had never even heard of the Elantra. My choice was not made on bias, but on evaluation of the myriad of objective evidence available on the internet. And it was overwhelming!
    The posts here that stated how quiet the Elantra is really surprised me in a very good way.

One thing about Hyundai vs. Toyota: financing. Toyota will rarely have 0% financing options, whereas that's what we have for the Elantra, for up to 36 months. Plus Hyundai dealers might bring their price down much lower than the MSRP... more so than a Toyota dealer.

I remember going to see the local Honda dealer. They didn't want to drop their MSRP down, not even a dollar! They had a bit of an arrogant attitude about that, saying that their cars were "flying off the lot", that they couldn't keep them long enough, which is why they couldn't drop down the MSRP. Geez.
    Hyundai dealers are more flexible in pricing because they still don't have the quality reputation that Toyota and Honda have. It takes years of high quality products to gain this reputation. Right now, I believe their quality is much higher than their reputation. Therefore, there is currently a window of opportunity to get a great price on a high quality car. When Hyundai achieves its sales goals and gains a high quality reputation, I fear the buying incentives will disappear. Car dealers will go only as far as they have to to sell you a car.

It's kind of like Avis trying harder because they are number 2....
  • lyndon5lyndon5 Member Posts: 20
    My error. Thanks for correcting me on the oem tire ratings for Elantras. I generally respect the manufacturer's suggested rating, but I missed it when purchasing these S rated Avids. At any rate, I don't think there will be any negative impact on my wife's vehicle as it will never go past 75-80 with either of us driving. Recently had the Elantra in the shop for driver door replacement (hit and run) and drove a rented cavalier and leganza, niether compared well to the Elantra in handling or driveability (even with the incorrect S rated tires).
  • canadavecanadave Member Posts: 8
    Canc,

I have to disagree with you regarding the Elantra vs. the Corolla in Canada. I've spent the past month carefully searching for a new car. I test drove the Corolla and the Elantra. I met with the dealers and went over the specs and deals on each company's Canadian website with a fine-toothed comb. I was seriously considering buying the Corolla; but the Elantra is simply the best buy, which is why I bought it yesterday. I don't know how you can say an '03 Corolla (especially an LE!) is anywhere close in price to a _comparably equipped_ LE, given the interest rates offered by the respective manufacturers. Not to mention that "Access Toyota"'s pricing is barely any discount off of MSRP, whereas I was able to get over $1,000 off MSRP on my Elantra.

As far as the car's ride, ergonomics, controls, etc. goes, I suppose we could disagree on just about everything based purely on personal preference. I happen to think the Elantra's interior is roomier, more comfortable, and the engine has more kick (witness the 10hp difference). My wife felt the same way once she drove both.

Anyway, it all boils down to preferences in some way I suppose, but as long as we're discussing the subject, I don't see how you can say "the Elantra is not a very good buy" here in Canada. I certainly found it to be a great buy.

Cheers,
    Dave
  • canadavecanadave Member Posts: 8
    That middle part of my first paragraph should, obviously, say "a _comparably equipped_ ELANTRA", not "a _comparably equipped_ LE". Sorry! :)

Oh, in fairness to Toyota, I will also say the soft intermittent A/C noise on the Elantra will bug the hell out of me unless Hyundai can straighten it out before I take possession of the car :)
  • mazdaprofourmazdaprofour Member Posts: 202
    Hello all, I did stop by the dealership today and looked at the elentra. I must say that I am impressed. I do hope that this car is a lot better than the excel (nightmare) that my aunt had. But onto my question:

How hard is it to get approved with Hyundai? Do they have their own financing or do they go through other banks?

I am about to go through chapter 7 bankruptcy and should have my discharge letter in a few months. I would also have around 2 grand to put down. I know that mitsubishi is very easy on people with a bankruptcy but am not sure how forgiving hyundai is?

any help would be greatly appreciated.

P.S....please tell me that this car is better than the excel. I have a 2001 mazda protege that has not been very good. I will be giving it up under the bankruptcy.... or actually they may just take it since I am 2 payments behind. 430.00 a month is way too much for this car. THEY CAN HAVE IT! I hate ford.
  • elantradriverelantradriver Member Posts: 14
    I too recently went through the process of buying a new car up here in Canada. I'm just new out of university and into the working world so I was looking for something economical, I was looking for the car that would be the best bang for my buck. After thoroughly doing my research for a month and a half I finally decided upon the Elantra over the Corolla, Sentra, Protege, Spectra, Focus, Neon, and Cavalier/Sunfire. It was by far the best value out of the group up here north of the border just as it seems to be south of the border. Canadave and Intrepidspirit have already hit on the lack of low financing available on the Corolla as well as the inflexible sticker price, plus you simply get more car for your dollar with the Elantra over the Corolla. If your thinking about buying a Elantra I highly recommend it. This is the best time to buy because their reputation still lags far behind the actual quality of their cars. Just one question, why does the American GLS get standard side airbags, while the Canadian VE doesn't even have them as an option?
  • tappervmtappervm Member Posts: 4
    Hi! I am a college student looking to buy my first car. I am torn between the 2002 Hyundai Elantra GLS and the 2002 Mazda Protege LX. Does anyone have any advice? Thanks a lot.
    There's a greater advantage with Hyundai when it comes to financing and MSRP flexibility because Hyundai is less known, so they'll bring down their interest rates to lure in buyers. Toyota will also be very solid with their MSRP with the Corolla these days because they it just came out and people have to wait 2-3 months to get one from the factory. This will change in a year or so.

If you compare both cars though and compare the two MSRP's, the price difference isn't that big considering all the added options the Corolla has standard for that price, where the Elantra doesn't have. I think that Hyundai should at least be fair with Canadians and offer a 5-year warranty, like our US neighbours have.