Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Elantra 2001-2006

Comments

• steven39steven39 Member Posts: 636
    THE HUMANOIDS MUST NOT ESCAPE!!!!!!!!
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Edmunds.com rates the Elantra GLS 2nd, less than one point behind the Civic EX in their latest economy car comparo. Not too shabby for the Elantra, given the Civic is more than $4k more as tested than the Elantra (and with buyers reporting purchases of Elantras with the same equipment for $10.5K, it's a steal over the $18.5K Civic even if you get a good deal on the Civic).
  • ramblin_moramblin_mo Member Posts: 29
    Traded off an 3 month old Pearl white 03 Suzuki automatic FWD Aerio SX for a Champagne Hyundai 03 GLS automatic, package 2, with cargo net & carpets.

Zuki may have been a fine car for an 18 year old. It probably would have been a long lasting reliable car. You would think that would be good to have a long lasting reliable car. It would be if the annoyances weren't piling up.

What did I lose other than money for the trade in vs loan balance?
    ($10,750 trade in on a car listing for $16,000)
    SX Had in dash 6 CD Clarion stereo
    SX had timing chain vs timing belt
    SX looked kind of cool
    SX had more cargo capacity
    SX had more horsepower
    SX powertrain warranty fully transferable
    SX Outside temperature gauge
    SX High seating position, easy entry/exit

Lost, but not missed
    SX shocking experience in exiting vehicle - ZAP ZAP
    SX Bug gut billboard front bumper
    SX Snow plow front bumper that would be expensive to replace
    SX Bug gut display on mirrors
    SX BLACK! dirt and cat hair magnet upholstery
    SX upholstery that was wearing on window sill from resting my arm
    SX ride from hell on rough pavement (BTW - Number one reason for getting rid of car)
    SX that is tossed around in high wind
    SX perpetually dirty back hatch window
    SX Sticky/static charged, hard, OPTIONAL installed center armrest
    SX Front cup holders that were out of easy reach

Gained
    GLS - 5 year 60K warranty vs 3 year 36K
    GLS - Front side air bags
    GLS - quiet ride, stable ride
    GLS - 400 tread wear Michelins vs 200 wear somethings??
    GLS - somewhat better sun visors. (Aren't stuck against your head if used on side window like Aerio)
    GLS - Two rear cup holders
    GLS - Better arranged center storage, lined coin box, storage under stereo, storage under center stack, cubby for front passenger
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    Wow, you traded your 03 Aerio in on a Hyundai too?? Now I don't feel so stupid! Are you planning on posting your list of disappointments on the Aerio board? By the way, I was just as annoyed by the constant zaps everytime I got out of the car, the tendency to attract every hair it could find, and the constantly dirty back window. In fact, I agree with your entire list of cons. Did you notice how horribly inadequate the coverage of the sunvisors were? I'm short and I always ended up getting blinded by all the light blaring through the huge side windows! They really need to put larger visors on that car and allow them to move further away from your head. I have been much happier with the quality and design of my Tiburon. I hope your Elantra pleases you just as much.
    The Aerio was fun to drive. Then I realized that I would be getting my kidneys jolted day in and day out on my 50 mile daily drive for 46 more car payments.
    The ride was so harsh it makes me wonder how modifiers can lower their Aerio even more. They must have perfect roads where they live.

Re:Sun visors were pretty bad. I had considered looking for after market replacement that had an extender to cover more area.

Hopefully I got rid of the water from the drivers window that ended up dripping on the window switches in the Aerio. It looks like the Elantra has this solved.

I'm not a speed demon and I realized what I'm looking for in a commuter car is to get from A to B in reasonable comfort and economy. (30mpg on first tank of gas :^)

Only problem with the Elantra so far is the turn signal doesn't turn off when finishing a turn. It worked initially. At least I can hear the turn signal is on in the Elantra. I hope it isn't an ordeal to fix.

I'll be getting service at a dealer that I didn't buy the car from. The dealer I bought the car from is too far away. I've never had to do this, I guess they don't care as long as they get reimbursed for warranty work from Hyundai. I just hope their service techs are superior to their salesmen.
    People thought I was nuts when I bought the Aerio. They're getting the white restraining jacket ready when they hear I traded it for a Hyundai.

Hope they won't need it.
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    What kind of hit did you take on the Suzuki? How much did you originally pay for it and what was the trade-in. Did you really pay $16K for the Elantra? My son bought his equipped the same as yours only he got the 5-speed for $10K.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
    You know you're asking me to tell you how stupid I was to buy the Aerio don't you? Plus the embarrassment of being upside down on a loan?

03 Aerio SX new was $16,000 minus February's $1,000 cash back and 1.9% financing. (Current Aerio rebate is $2000 cash back & maybe 0% financing)

Kelly blue book (excellent condition) is $11,300 trade in for Aerio. Real life trade in from several dealers is $8,500 to $9,000.

Invoice on Elantra was $13,577 List was $14,755.
    Trade in + 1500 cash back to dealer = $12,550
    So I got $11,050 for trade in. (Optimistic view)

Out the door cost was $14,490 - realistic price for Elantra would have been $13,712 (Invoice +1%)
    $13,712 - $1500 rebate = $12,212

$14,490 - $12,212 = $2278 Worth of stupidity

You don't know how bad I wanted out of the Aerio.
    Being upside down on the loan cuts you off at the knees in trying to make a deal. Ended up buying gap insurance to cover difference between payoff and real world insurance reimbursements.

I'm much happier with the car. I had better be happy because the trade in for the Elantra is maybe $9,000 if you're lucky.
  • graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    no judgements here. I was just curious because you were going from one brand of '03 car to another.

If it cost $2278 for you to be happy with your purchase, then so be it. IF you learned anything from the experience, then the $2K+ was the price you paid for the lesson.

I've made some stupid auto purchases along the way, too.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    Like tall cross-over design and digital dash didn't bother me as much as I thought. Much cruder fit and finish than the Elantra though. Felt like a totally different class of car. Much cruder than my friend's 3-door Focus too.

I paid $11.2 for a group II 5-speed in July 01. First problem at 40K was a neutral safety switch that misfired sporadically. Dealer bypassed and will install new one on Tuesday. Other than that it's been a totally reliable 40,000 miles.
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    Just from sitting in the 2 cars, I would not buy the Aerio. It feels cheap compared to the Elantra.

I lost my car to a vandalism/interior fire (02 Jetta 1.8T), and might be in the market (waiting for the insurance to see what the damage is). I will definitely check out the Elantra GT. I saw one on the lot today and really liked it. One of the best values out there right now.
    It kinda looks like the Sonata now, with that new grille. It would grow on me, it's not too bad.
  • mrvanmrvan Member Posts: 17
    Well, I just got a look at the comparison, and I must say that it is no real surprise for those of us reading this board. What is most surprising is that Edmunds chose to compare a bare-bones Elantra GLS with a Civic that cost 30% more.

If one were to add 30% to the cost of the Civic, you would be comparing it to cars in the $24,000 range... How does a Civic compare to a Passat, Jetta, Camary, Altima, Mazda6 or even an Accord?

I'm just saying that I think they could have kept the economy sedan class more on the "economy" side and at least compared an Elantra GT to the Civic.

-mrvan
  • isseyvooisseyvoo Member Posts: 121
    My mother has the '01 Elantra GLS, my partner just bought a Protege5 in January. Both are pleased with their purchases, but both would probably enjoy each other's car less due to the character differences of the vehicles.

Having driven both, I much prefer the crisp handling and sporty demeanor of the Pro5. The Pro5 makes me want to run out and get a Mazda myself. The Elantra is competent and pleasant, but doesn't inspire the same kind of enthusiasm. However, it's probably easier to live with on a day-to-day basis in real world traffic and with our bad roads here in the Northeast.

At any rate, it was gratifying to see both the Protege and Elantra near the top of the pack. I guess my family isn't entirely foolhardy!
  • ghostbuster23ghostbuster23 Member Posts: 43
    A friend of mine recently made the jump from a Jetta to a GT hatch, and he seems quite happy with the Elantra. On the other hand, he didn't have a nice 1.8T; he had a last-gen Jetta...
  • intrepidspiritintrepidspirit Member Posts: 662
    Over the last couple of weeks, the base 2003 Elantra GLS (with auto) has been advertised here in Southern California at $9,999. Not "one only", but "all in stock".

I paid $10,988 for my daughter's Elantra (same configuration) in 2001 and I thought I got a great buy. But to get the 2003 @ 9% less is almost unbelievable. What a bargain!
    The Michelin Energies were down to the wear bars at 40K and too expensive for a replacement tire. Replaced with Uniroyal Tiger Paw Touring H's at Wal-Mart. Four ran about $240 with lifetime protection and balancing. Both tires were 400 A A. The Tiger Paws seem slightly noisier on black top but much better on concrete, no more annoying whine. Better handling all around, especially in wet-- but you'd expect that with new tires. Very slight shake at 70 mph, much like Michelins when I got the car, before Wal-Mart balanced them. I think this will be correctable. Mileage seems slightly down, but that might be expected with the newer, more agressive tread. I wonder how much improvement in mileage as a car ages is because of the tires wearing down a bit.

All in all, I'm very happy. These tires are easily the equal of the Michelins at less than half the price. I've always thought some of these expensive OEM tires were a scam anyway. Hyundai pays Michelin $5 and gets to tout that they have the same tires as an Accord. If you rip one up, you have to pay $150. A high percentage of buyers will replace with the same tire and there's another $600. I'm very happy (at least at this point) that I spent $240 instead. Plus 40,000 miles on an expensive tire with moderate driving habits was a big disappointment. BFG Radial T/A's on a 97 Cavalier did at least 60,000 miles before two needed replacing and the remaining tires were still doing service on the back when I got rid of the car at 90,000 miles. Does anyone know if the BFG/Uniroyal and Michelin product lines are assembled at different points? (or Goodyear/Kelly for that matter?) or are they interchangable plants cranking out different brands?
    I really did like the GT, but I don't know if I could live without the turbo I have grown used to. Besides, the insurance company is taking the car apart piece by piece now and trying to fix it. We shall see what they come up with...
  • iml8iml8 Member Posts: 10
    Anyone installed a header on their 03 GT? Was it worth the money? ($430)
    Does it affect the warranty?

Where can I get the rear sway bar kit for better handling?

Anyone install the strut tower brace on the front and/or rear. Was this worth the money? ($85 each)

Just bought '03' GT with moon roof option only. No ABS, for $13995.00 out the door. (that's what I wrote the check for. Is that good?)

Happy motorin'
  • rdaneel528rdaneel528 Member Posts: 4
    Hey guys, I'm having serious problems with the clutch on my 5spd 2001 Elantra GLS. Last week I just had a third clutch installed on my car. My first clutch went at 18,000 miles. The second one went 16,000 miles after that at 34,000. The dealer insists that it is my fault, that I am wearing out the clutch by riding it. I am not riding my clutch, or using it to hold a hill, or anything of that nature. In both cases the clutch went in just over a year so I had to pay out of pocket both times. I want to somehow prove to Hyundai that it is not my fault so I can get my money back. Has anyone had a similar problem? Or know of any issue with this car that might 'cause my clutch to wear out in 18,000 miles or less?
  • pzevpzev Member Posts: 807
    Any word on when the next Hyundai Elantra will be out? Maybe the 2006 model year? Any known changes it will have?
    If Hyundai keeps to their five-year cycle, a redesign is due for the '06 model year. It will probably have the next-generation engines Hyundai is developing in partnership with Mitsubishi and DC, beyond that it's anyone's guess.
    Thanks for the response. I have a couple of questions. Does the current engine have anything to do with Mitsubishi or Chrysler or is it an all Hyundai design? Same question about the automatic transmission, is it an all Hyundai design? Finally, how well are the engines and transmissions holding up? Are people going over 100k miles without any problems?
    In the August C/D there's an article on the Maybach 57 ("baby" Maybach). To me there's a resemblance between the '04 Elantra GLS and the Maybach, with the chrome vertical-bar grille, the large clear-lens headlights, and especially the rear bustle-back trunk and tail lights. There's an even greater resemblance to the '04 XG350, a resemblance that C/D noted in their review of that model in the same mag. Anyway, I thought it was kind of funny that a $311,700 car would look a little like the Elantra. Of course, there are many differences too, starting with the sticker price and including size, rear seat room, power, real wood trim (from exotic locales), and EPA rating. Also the Maybach would probably have a chauffeur in the front, and there's a champagne chiller in the back. I don't think we'll see that option in an Elantra any time soon.

pzev, re your questions, I think the current Beta engine in the Elantra is a Hyundai design, but it could have influences from Mitsubishi since they designed engines for Hyundai in the past. As for long-term experience with the engine and auto transmission, I haven't heard of any major problems with the Beta engine or the auto tranny. The car is still a recent design, so there may not be many 100k samples around, but maybe those with high mileage can comment. I've only driven 21k in a bit under 3 years, and I have the 5-speed. It had one small problem at about 8k, a squeak in the clutch, that was repaired under warranty. One good thing about the automatic is that it's covered under the 10-year powertrain warranty, whereas some of the major parts of the 5-speed are not.
  • elantramanelantraman Member Posts: 24
    I am always amazed by claims of tires lasting over 50K miles. My 2002 Elantra has 12K miles on it and I will be luck to get over 20k on these tires. Maybe its the terrain I live in. (Western Pennsylvania) I have never had tires last more than 33k and still pass state inspection. Most people around these parts report similar experiences. Be satisfied by tires lasting 40K.
    Are Western Pennsylvanians the only ones cursed by tires wearing out quickly. Appreciate any feedback.
  • legacyladylegacylady Member Posts: 1
    I just paid $11,600 for an 2003 Elantra GLS with rear deck spoiler, keyless entry and cruise control. It seemed like a good deal, I just wonder if they are laughing back at the dealership!
  • lmp180psulmp180psu Member Posts: 399
    legacylady... it seems as if you got a very good deal at least according to my research. According to Edmunds, the invoice of your car (if an auto) is about $13,700 without the rebate(12,700 w/rebate here in PA). So it looks like you got your car for $1100 UNDER invoice, which is great. Good luck with your Elantra!
    Thanks for the response!
  • jimbeaumijimbeaumi Member Posts: 620
    Yesterday marks two years with my little gem of a car, at about 31,200 miles. Everything seems to be fine and there have been few unscheduled trips to the dealer, so I am a very happy owner.

Questions about engine and tires: what I have read about the engines is that they are all-Hyundai designs. And my tires are OK at this mileage, but will barely make it to 40K if that happens. Will switch to Dunlop Sport A2.

Getting a weather break this weekend, so I will light a cupcake and break out the wax, Rain-X and vacuum cleaner. Cheers! :)
    My GLS' tires have almost 22k on them now and still have lots of tread. I rotate them every 7500 miles, as I have on all my cars. At this rate I'd guess they'll make 40k easy.

Re rebate in PA: I thought the $1500 rebate on Elantras was nationwide. Is it only $1000 in PA?
    According to Edmunds, and Hyundai USA website, the rebate for my zipcode (19114, Philly) is only 1000. I wonder why it is different for Philly. BTW, it was $1500 for many months before June. Maybe it is a Northeast regional difference? If it isn't the $500 difference sucks for people in Philly.
    Edmunds now lists $1500 rebate (instead of $1000 before 7/10) PLUS a $500 for anyone who has a Hyundai registered in their name. Is there an age limit ( model year of car) that this rebate applies to? Example: only 97 or above cars?
    I guess they are trying to get rid of the 03's.
    I saw the Loyalty rebate advertised today in my local paper for the first time, plus one dealer was advertising "all Elantras for $4 over invoice". There was no asterisk by it denoting "all rebates to dealer", although that asterisk appeared elsewhere in the ad. So I started dreaming... there's another dealer that claims they'll beat any advertised price by $100. Now I'm looking at $96 under invoice, with no haggling, plus $2000 in rebates. I did some quick calculations on a GT with moonroof. If they would give me what Edmunds.com says my trade, a '01 GLS with low miles in outstanding condition, is worth, it would cost me about $6000 out the door for the new GT, or about $175/month over 3 years. Hmmmm... tempting. Problem will be convincing my lovely wife that I "need" a new car when my current one is still in mint condition and has lots of miles left on it. I'll bet my oldest son would like the idea, however--I plan on giving him my car on his 18th birthday, in about 3 years. Well, probably can't justify it, but it's nice to think about.
    Only cost a bit over $240 at Wal-Mart. Quieter on concrete than the Michelins which only got 40K before getting to the wear bars. Handling seems a bit better as well. Hopefully they'll wear better. I think that expensive OEM tires are essentially a rip-off. The car companies pay a few bucks a tire and Michelin sells them in hopes that you'll be dumb enough to replace at $600 a set or rip the hell out of one and have to replace with the same thing. Have no idea whether BFG, Michelin and Uniroyal still maintain separate plants or whether all manufacturing is scrambled.
  • uvaswaniuvaswani Member Posts: 2
    I am from columbus OH, I bought a new 2003 Elantra GLS auto yesterday, with keyless entry, cruise control,AM/FM and cassette player and rest of the standard features. after rebates got it for $11,400 + tax & title . So what do u'll think is it a good buy.
    Thanx in advance for all your responses.
  • pont41pont41 Member Posts: 4
    Maybe the clutch design changed somehow with the 2001 redesign, because all the clutch problems I ever read about on this forum were with 2001+ models.
  • legalseclegalsec Member Posts: 31
    Invoice on Elantra GLS auto is $12605 + DestChg $540. Sounds like you also got Pkg 1 = $343.

Current national rebate is $1500. If you are a registered owner of a Hyundai, you could get $500 off a new Elantra. Were there any other rebates or incentives?

Invoice $13488 - Rebate $1500 = $11988. You paid $11400. Looks like your price was under invoice - unless other adjustments were applied.
  • jimbeaumijimbeaumi Member Posts: 620
    I drove by my dealer this evening and saw a GLS in a new light green color, Sea Shell. An interesting and pretty color. I wonder if there are other new colors coming up. I also noticed that the 5-speed mileage rating is now the same as that of the automatic (lower by 1 mpg city).
  • scottdudescottdude Member Posts: 177
    Does anyone know if you get this if another member of your family owns a Hyundai? Mazda did this with their loyalty rebate.
  • intrepidspiritintrepidspirit Member Posts: 662
    I purchased a Sonata for my stepson and got the $1,000 loyalty rebate because I had purchased an Elantra for my daughter 2 years earlier. My name was still on the registration for the Elantra.

I don't know if you can get the rebate because a family member owns a Hyundai, but, if not, I would have the family member buy the car and transfer it after the purchase. In California, this is a $15 fee.

I would expect, however, that Hyundai would allow a "family loyalty" rebate as they consider all family members as original owners of their cars for warranty purposes...
  • whipl50whipl50 Member Posts: 2
    Took delivery of my 4 door GT last Thursday, and have 2 small dislikes about the car. First is that the steering wheel is too thin, almost painful to the hands after a commute, but that will probably be corrected with a cover, and the second: the sound system. While it's not the worst I've ever heard, it's not the best either. I can't seem to find a good balanced sound, either I get highs that SSSizzle on speech, or I get bass and midrange that could use Jenny Craig, they are so flabby.

Does the whole system need upgrading, or just one or the other? I'm not looking for ear splitting db's, just decent clean sound.

Thanks for any advice.
  • scottdudescottdude Member Posts: 177
    I think I've narrowed down my car choices to either an Elantra GT sedan or Mazda Protege LX. I'm going to do a back to back test drive this weekend but thought I'd post here to see if any of you Elantra owners made the same comparison and if so, why you went with Hyundai.

Surprisingly, both the Elantra GT and a Protege LX with 6 CD changer and a spoiler come out to about $14K at Carsdirect (I'm just using them as a guide to get a ball park price in mind).

The Elantra GT has leather seats, but the Pro has the 6 CD changer. Other than that, these cars seem to be very similiar in many ways. They even look similar, although I think I like the body color side moldings on the Mazda vs. the black ones on the Hyundai (I'm shopping silver in both models). Reviews of both (from professionals and owners) are great. Here at Edmunds, the Protegee "problems" topic does have an awful lot of posts though.

I know the Elantra warrantry is better, and some say the Protege is more fun to drive, but what are some other pros/cons to each?

Help me decide!!
  • lovetosavegaslovetosavegas Member Posts: 73
    I was cross-shopping automatic Elantra GT vs Protege 5 vs Matrix last year. Though they were hatchbacks, here is the reasoning why I chose Elantra.
    1. The price for Protege 5 without the sunroof was 2K more then Elantra with sunroof and leather.
    2. When I drove Protege around town revs stayed kinda high and it was noisier both in town and on the highway.
    3. Handling in Protege was only marginally better.
    I did like the instrument panel in the Protege more.
    If the prices would be the same I would've bought Protege 5. Mostly because 'Mazda' sounds better then 'Hyundai'.
  • lliang88lliang88 Member Posts: 3
    While some dealers are honest, some are not. This is from my recent experience at Suntrup (Hyundai) in St Louis. The sales person tried to convince me that some PIOs and ad fee are really standard part of the invoice. They also have a doc fee printed on the sale form, which looks like a standard charge. Be sure to stick on your budget when they clearly tell you “every dealer charges it”. The www.bbb.com has info for many companies. You may get a feeling of a dealer before dealing with it.
  • gregor1022gregor1022 Member Posts: 10
    Hello all!

My wife and I shopped around for a while and came to the conclusion that an Elantra was by far the best value in its class. We traded in her (horibble, total-piece-of-crap) 1999 Olds Alero on a 2003 Elantra GT (sedan).

It is Carbon Blue and has the moonroof, etc. We got it for $13,024.00 (including all taxes, tags, fees, etc.). There was just no comparison for the price! This car is beautiful, comes with a great warranty, and should be an awesome car for quite some time.

Just wondering what everyone thinks about the price...did we do as well as we think???

Thanks!
    Greg
  • jacksparrowjacksparrow Member Posts: 3
    Wow! That's with taxes? I'm in final negotiations for an '03 GT Hatch w/abs and tt, 5 speed in cobalt blue. Very specific, and very tough to get. Finally tracked down the (apparent) last one in the northeast and am to take delivery tomorrow (cutting it close with the $1500 rebates). I'm paying $13700 before taxes (7% here in RI) and thought I'd done good, now I have my doubts. Thanks.
  • dglozmandglozman Member Posts: 178
    Hi,
    I'm shopping for Elantra in NY area. Dealer told me that all Hyundai cars in NY comes with SULEV Emissions and this is $200 extra. Is this true? I know in California you must get that equipment on every car, but what about NY? Carsdirect list this option for California and NY but even with my zip code I can click off this option.
    Thanks
    Dmitry
  • gregor1022gregor1022 Member Posts: 10
    Let me clarify - the GT sedan we bought was loaded with auto trans, moonroof, etc., but it doesn't have the ABS or Traction Control. Also, it was a one-time deal kind of thing. This car was very slightly damaged by hail after it reached the U.S. port. It still had the protective plastic on, so it wasn't bad at all. All the damage was repaired by a method called "dentless paint repair" (they basically suction cup the dent out). The paint and sheet metal is now flawless (I used to detail cars, so I checked it out thorouhgly) and comes with the same exact warranty as a "regular new" Hyundai.

It only had 40 miles on it, but they couldn't sell it as "new." Hence, the huge discount...I believe it was approximately $12,000 before taxes, tags, etc. And it's BEAUTIFUL :)
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    The dealer was telling you the truth. New York is one of the states that requires the emissions package.