Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Elantra 2001-2006

Comments

• intrepidspiritintrepidspirit Member Posts: 662
    @$2.199 -- at least as of this morning...maybe you guys will catch up!
  • baber1baber1 Member Posts: 49
    Averaged 30.2 mpg with my Elantra GLS 5 spd. This is very close to what my Accent auto got. I am pretty pleased since the Elantra is much bigger and more powerful then the Accent. I payed $1.859 a gal here in Florida.
  • hmownerhmowner Member Posts: 23
    While balancing the tires, the TireBarn people noticed that two of my steel OEM wheels were slightly warped and this caused the tire to wobbled a bit causing vibration at 65+ mph.

Hyundai Dealer near by was asking $80 for a new OEM steel wheel, so I purchased a set of new custom aluminum wheels instead (about $75 each). Unfortunately, this did NOT immediately remove the shimmy problem. At our wits end, the TireBarn people speculated that the wheel may not be mounted exactly at the center and installed "Center Hub Ring" which acts like a guide to ensure that the wheel gets mounted exactly at the center to the car.

Boy! that fixed the problem. I cannot feel any shimmy. It's smooth all the way to 95mph -- yeah I pushed Elantra to test when I could feel the shimmy, but no shimmy at all! :->
    I read somewhere that the Elantra can be bought with a 2.0 liter turbodiesel in Europe. I think it is rated at 115 HP. I wonder what kind of mileage this Elantra gets?
  • firemanjackfiremanjack Member Posts: 123
    Hey bro...Have you had a shimmy in the front end since new?.Do you have a standard tranny? I've never heard of a center hub ring, but the science makes sense..Good for you bro...Jack
    Glad to hear you fixed your problem too. I picked up my Elantra GLS 5 speed last week. So far no shimmy problem thank goodness!! I have to remember about your fix in case my car develops the problem. Happy motoring!!!
  • jprybajpryba Member Posts: 201
    I wonder if those hub centering rings would do the trick on the OEM wheels...

We've been discussing Elantra tire/wheel vibration issues on the problems and solutions board. If you haven't read that yet, please do so and leave any helpful comments that might help us solve our minor (but still annoying) to major vibration/shimmy issues.

Maybe we can get this silly issue figured out once and for all and get back to enjoying our Elantras for the otherwise good cars they are : )
  • granolajgranolaj Member Posts: 10
    Do the back seats in the Elantra GT hatchback fold down flat? I've checked Hyundai's web site, but I can't really tell from the photos.

Thanks!
  • jprybajpryba Member Posts: 201
    Yes, they should fold down flat if you remove the headrests.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    To elaborate on that a bit, the back seat folds down almost flat if you don't fold the seat bottom. If you fold the seat bottom (simple procedure), then the seat backs fold fully flat. Also, the seat bottom is divided 60/40 just like the seat back is so you can have just part of the seat folded flat or all of it. The other little touches I appreciate are the retainers built into the seat back, to hold the seat belt buckles so they don't get buried when you fold the seat, and the fact that there is enough room under the folded seat bottom to store the headrests, so they don't get in the way.
  • intrepidspiritintrepidspirit Member Posts: 662
    I called my daughter over the weekend (I transferred a 2001 Elantra to her in 2003) and she received the class action settlement papers.

So the settlement does transcend original owners into the immediate family like the warranty does (did?).
  • granolajgranolaj Member Posts: 10
    Thanks for info, backy and jpryba!

I have another question: Does anyone have information about specs for the 2005 Elantra?
    All I have is an educated guess, based on some facts. Hyundai's normal cycle for new designs is five years, and I've seen references on some car sites to the Elantra redesign due for the 2006 model year. Here's a link to the most info I've found on the '06 Elantra:

http://auto.consumerguide.com/auto/new/reviews/full/index.cfm/id/- 37591

That would mean there would most likely be few changes in the '05 Elantra, since it was just refreshed for '04.
  • cgr45cgr45 Member Posts: 36
    Hello everyone.

My girlfriend is in the market for a new car. After much research and test driving a few cars she decided to buy an 04 GT Sedan with moonroof, ABS and TCS. She loves everything about the car. She says that it's "cute."

Anyways, my question is how much should she pay for this car? The TMV for the car is $14,440. With taxes and registartion we should be looking at about $15,500. Is this a good price or should she offer something along the lines $14,000?

She's paying cash for the car. I don't know if this will be an advantage for her. We live in jersey City, NJ and the dealer that we visted is Difeo Hyundai.

Does anyone have any experiences dealing with this dealer? Any recommendations to other dealers?

Thank you for your time and help.
  • browneybrowney Member Posts: 104
    Just wanted to pass on to everyone to watch out for shady service departments.
    I had a transmission speed sensor go bad on my 01 elantra the other day. It was repaired under warranty but the service tech told the service manager that my car also should have a throttle body cleaning and it needed new front brakes.
    I asked why it needed the TBC and was told by the service manager that it is part of the normal hyundai preventative maintenace in the manual.
    This of course is a crock and is nowhere to be found in the owner's manuals or even the shop manuals which I own.
    I had also just checked the brakes a few weeks ago so I asked how bad the tech said they were. The tech said there was only 10-15% left.
    I said I would check them again when I got home.
    I checked them and they measured 5.5mm of pad left of the original 11mm. The minimum spec according to the hyundai shop manual is 2mm.
    So I called the hyundai customer complaint dept and told them all about this service dept.
    This particular one is Rick Case Hyundai in Duluth GA. Be careful out there y'all and watch out for these rip off artists. ;-)
  • jlflemmonsjlflemmons Member Posts: 2,242
    Hyundai specifically states DO NOT perform the throttle body cleaning as it generally does more harm than good on their particular design.
    SERVICE MANUAL
      Applies to: Accent 2000-2002 and Elantra 2001-2002
    GROUP
    Fuel System Fuel Delivery System

INSPECTION
    Check the throttle body for cracks.

Check for restriction in the vacuum port or passage.

Check for interference when moving the accelerator cable.

CAUTION
    Throttle valve set screw was adjusted in the production line with the air volume (0.516 ± 5% g/sec) during idling. So please DO NOT ADJUST IT voluntarily.

When the idle rpm is out of specification, check the relevant sensors and their input or output value first.

The throttle body does not need to be cleaned because carbon in throttle body does not affect the system's operation at all.
  • altsuvaltsuv Member Posts: 53
    Does anyone have any experiences dealing with this dealer? Any recommendations to other dealers?

Since you are right accross the river, I can recommend Hyundai of Manhattan. I bought my used 02 GLS at the end of February, and I thought they were very good. Don't know what happens when you buy a car out of state as far as taxes & stuff.

One other suggestion is to check out any dealers on Better Business Bureaus website - I think it's bbb.com - and see how many complaints they have against them. When I was shopping, I checked out the quantity of complaints against H. of Manhattan & 2 others in Queens & long island - the other two had ALOT more. Bear in mind that almost every business will have some complaints against them. Look to see if they resolved their complaints, and compare the qty of complaints to other dealers.

good luck
    I brought my 99 Accent in early this year to have the oxygen sensor replaced. I told the service manager the engine light was on and the engine was running rough. When I told him it was probably the O2 sensor he said a bad O2 sensor wouldnt cause a rough running engine. He later told me the new Bosh platinum plus 4 sparkplugs I had installed 30,000 miles before were the wrong plugs. He wanted $150 to replace the plugs and plug wires that he said were dry rotted. He also wanted to do the throttle body cleaning for another $100 or so. He also told me the O2 sensor was bad. I had him just replace the O2 sensor. The car ran great afterward.Some dealer service shops are pretty bad.
    Uh, sorry guys, but silicon wires do not dry rot. Over time (mileage) they can lose some conductivity, but this can only be determined by a scope shot of the spark waveform, or, if they are really getting bad, misfires at idle. But we are talking >75K miles or 5 years. If then.

And I trust you saw the earlier posting out of the Hyundai service manual with regard to throttle body cleaning.

Jim
    Just filled up. My 2004 Elantra CLS 5spd averaged 32.5 MPG, pretty good!! On the sad side, I had a stone strike and crack (small repairable) my windshield today on the highway. It is not that serious and my insurance company will fix it Monday. The car is only two weeks old too!!
  • jimbeaumijimbeaumi Member Posts: 620
    I got a chuckle out of Consumer Guide's assessment of the Elantra's impending update for 2006. Restyling the new Spectra -- itself a restyling of the current Elantra -- and then using it for the next Elantra amounts to a restyling of a restyling for 2006. Even Hyundai knows when to start fresh with a new platform. I've read other glaring errors in CG about current models, so that piece didn't surprise me. :)

BTW, how are your two Elantras doing?
    I've now seen multiple trade articles referring to the "new platform" that the *new* '04 Spectra is based on, and that it will be the basis for the '06 Elantra. But I've seen other info that suggests the platform for the new Spectra is the same as for the current Elantra. So I'm confused. The new Spectra does seem just a tad more solid and better-handling (compared to Elantra GLS) than the current Elantra, so maybe it is a new platform. I don't know.

My two Elantras are doing fine. I'm hardly driving my '01 GLS now that I work from home and travel a lot, plus I sneak out with the new GT 5-door as much as possible. ;-) The GLS has only 26,600 miles on it and still looks and drives like new, save for a few small dings and nicks. I'll need new tires by winter, so I'm going to upgrade to 16" alloys then (my oldest son will appreciate them when he gets the car in a couple of years). The GT has been flawless in its first two months (J.D. Power survey, where are you?). I get about 25-26 mpg around town with it (automatic), but my DW has a heavier foot and runs the A/C even on cool days ("That's what the moonroof is for, dear!") so she gets only around 22 mpg. Still not too bad for a car with only 1100 miles on it. It's a lot of fun to drive and I am surprised that I don't mind the leather interior, although it hasn't been real hot or real cold since we've owned it. My oldest son loves the MP3 system, but he's not getting the GT--eventually Son #2 will get it. (I'll add a MP3 to the GLS before handing it over.) If this pattern keeps up, we could have 3 Elantras in the family two years from now if the '06 model is good enough to beat out cars like the Mazda3i and the new-for-'06 Civic.
    Glad to hear about your cars. I'll have 44K on my GLS in about a minute, so I will have to look up the needed maintenance for 45K, plan ahead a bit.

As for the Spectra, it really is a simple restyling of the current Elantra. It doesn't seem likely that the value division (Kia) would get the benefits of an all-new platform first. I can just look inside or sit inside to tell me it's my car. No dimensional changes were made, regardless what the magazines say. I find C/D and CR to be reliable in this regard.

Cheers!
    Here's some comparisons:

Spectra Elantra

Turning circle 33.2 ft. 32.5 ft.
    Wheelbase 102.8 in. 102.7 in.
    Track, front 58.9 in. 58.5 in.
    Track, rear 58.5 in. 58.1 in.
    Width 68.3 in. 67.9 in.
    Front shoulder room 55.1 in. 54.7 in.
    Rear shoulder room 53.9 in. 53.5 in.
    Front legroom 42.8 in. 43.2 in.
    Rear legroom 35.4 in. 35.0 in.
    Front hiproom 52.4 in. 53.0 in.
    Rear hiproom 53.9 in. 55.6 in.
    Passenger volume 97 cu. ft. 94 cu ft.

So the interior of the Spectra is a bit roomier, although the Elantra beats it in some dimensions. More to the point, it appears the chassis of the Spectra is different, based on different wheelbase and track numbers. I don't think it's that surprising that Kia would use the new compact platform on the Spectra first. Their alternative was to use a platform that is already four years old. Why not use it on the Spectra? A similar case is Ford's using an all-new platform on the Mazda3 first, then applying it to the costlier Volvo S40.
    There was a collision Satruday between a tanker and a cargo ship. No oil was spilled but the Cargo ship the MV Hyundai number 105 sank and all 3000 new Hyundai and Kia cars and SUV's were lost. All crewmembers were saved. These cars and SUV's were bound for Europe so there will be no shortage here. Here is a link to the story:
    http://www.smh.com.au/text/articles/2004/05/23/1085250864321.html
    I noticed that side curtain airbags are standard on the new KIA Spectra. When will Hyundai add this to the Elantra?
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    The wheel base and track numbers do look awfully close, however. Think of the great differences between the GM domestics that spring from Opel platforms.

Unlike you, I haven't driven the Spectra. Might save that for the 5-door. However, the Spectra doesn't look like much of a leap over the existing Elantra. Certainly less of a change than the upcoming XG's and Sonatas show over the existing cars.

I still think this is the next gen. platform, but would like to know for sure.
    Those small dimensional differences can easily be the result of new sheetmetal and new interior panels. Remember, the original minivan was built off the K-car.
    I don't understand how wheelbase and track differences can be due to sheetmetal and interior panels. Tire size could account for track differences, but the measurements are based on the same sized tires and wheels on both cars.
  • csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    Backy-- I'm too lazy to do a complete lookup, but (for example) the Malibu and Malibu Maxx are both off the Opel platform, but I know the Maxx has a longer wheelbase than the Malibu.

Still think you're right about the Kia being next gen, and haven't driven it (will probably wait for the hatch), but if the Spectra is next gen, I'm a little disappointed-- just doesn't push the envelope far enough. You ranked the last gen. Elantra ahead of it in your comparo-- that's not too impressive.
    I ranked the Elantra (GT) over the Spectra because of things not related to the platform, like more equipment for the dollar on the GT than the Spectra EX, better driver's seat adjustment on the Elantra (a biggie for me), and the sportier suspension on the GT. Also Elantra has a good track record for reliability and the Spectra is too new to have a track record. The other thing is I think Hyundai has made greater strides in getting resale value up than has Kia, but that's not a biggie for me because I plan to keep my Elantras in the family for at least 10 years. I think they're both great cars for the money. I predict Hyundai will add standard side curtains and ABS to the Elantra for the '06 MY to compete better with Civic (which will have both features standard) and to differentiate themselves from Kia, which already offers curtains and disc brakes standard.
  • justinjustin Member Posts: 1,918
    so whats the reason that Hyun/Kia doesn't make their engines more economical? is it that the current 2 liters are "tried and true", and they don't want to mess around with new stuff? or is that how they are keeping prices lower (no money thrown into engine design)? i like the new Spectra, but it should be at like 27 city, 37 highway in this day and age....
  • boltguyboltguy Member Posts: 94
    I see your point about the Spectra. The Elantra holds up well enough, considering the size of the engine.

Elantra 26/34, 2.0L engine, 138 hp (GLS trim)
    Civic 32/37, 1.7L engine, 127hp (EX trim)
    Corolla 32/40, 1.8L engine, 130hp, (CE trim)
    Spectra 24/32, 1.8L engine, 124hp
    Hyundai is beginning to manufacture its next-generation 4-cylinder engines (1.8, 2.0, and 2.4L) in Korea, and later Mitsubishi plans to make them in Japan and DC in Michigan. They are all-aluminum designs with VVT and designed to last 300,000 miles w/o a major failure. They are also designed for improved power and fuel economy, and for turbocharging. Since these are being made now, they should show up on the '06 Elantra.
    While in Beijing this week I've seen a lot of Elantras on the road. But these are luxo Elantras compared to what we get in the States. Every one I've seen has rear sonar and more chrome trim and fancier tailights, giving them a more upscale look. I haven't caught a look at the interior yet, but I did see a Santa Fe with a factory nav system. So it appears Hyundai is trying to appeal to a higher-end market with their cars in China. If you check out the Elantra owner's manual you see many features not offered in the States, such as auto climate control. BTW, the Elantra and Sonata are made in China through a joint venture arrangement. I've seen a lot of Sonatas too, many as taxis.
    A couple of weeks ago I had to bring in my 01 Elantra because the xmisssion went into limp mode while driving. I also told them that I have been having problems with reverse when it was hot but it was OK cold. They replaced a speed sensor to fix the xmission for the limp mode issue and said this would also fix the reverse problem.
    Of course it didn't and I brought the car back a few days ago. Well they called me and said the clutches were gone in the xmission and it had to have a new one.
    They put in a new (remanufactured ;-) ) xmission on yesterday. This was done under warranty of course. Right now the shifting of the tranny is the best it has ever been, I hope it actually lasts since I have complained about this tranny since it was new. There does not appear to be any more shift flare! Now all I have to do is see if it stays that way this winter since the flare on the old tranny was worse in the cold. Also have to watch and see if the fluid is going to turn dark brown by the time it sees 10kmi like the old one did.
    If this turns out to be no better than the last tranny I'll let y'all know since I'll be pissed and need to vent. ;-)
    If I were you I would have insisted on a new transmission, not a remanufactured one.
    Had the auto transmission replaced in my 99 Accent when it failed at 94,000 miles. It was replaced under the warranty with a rebuilt trans. I had about 38,000 miles on the rebuilt trans with no problems until a careles driver totaled my car. Your trans should be fine.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    So how many miles was on your car when it failed?
    My elantra has 37kmi on it but I had been complaining about the transmission since it was new. I had it back 3 times trying to get the shift flare fixed. The first time within 3 weeks of buying the car. Also brought it in at about 18kmi because the tranny fluid was black (they call it dark brown). Was told, by the tech, at that time that the trannys get hot and that is why the fluid was that color. They flushed the system and replaced the fluid (free of charge after I told them I wouldn't pay for it) and it was black again about 10kmi later. Now there is a Hyundai TSB that shows 'Dark Brown' (black in my opinion) fluid is normal after about 10kmi on these transmissions.

I would have preferred a new tranny since that was what I was told was going to be installed but I believe they have the right to use remanufactured parts under the terms of the warranty. I still have another 63kmi on the warranty, if this tranny dies they get to replace it again. ;-)
    Back from a week in NYC, quite a few Elantras, but never in my life will I see so many Lincoln Town Cars again.

Backy, way back before I left I posted a comment about "small dimensional differences" and was referring to interior dimensions and outside length. The new platform will arrive in '06.
    The warranty on rebuilt replacement parts is 1 yr or 12,000 miles I believe. Make sure with the Dealer that your rebuilt tranny is covered under your 10/100000 powertrain warranty.
    Well the transmission warranty is a bit of a moot point now. Brought the vehicle back today because I had backed it out of my garage, put it in park and then got out of the car to get something I forgot in the garage. The car started rolling backwards in my driveway while in park and my driveway has no more than a 10 degree slope to it. Put the emergency brake on, which I had done every time since I picked the vehicle up after having the transmission replaced 2 weeks ago. Then I checked the fluid level and there was nothing shown on the dipstick. This was the second time I had checked the fluid level, the first time was when I picked the car up after the repair. I put a quart of fluid in and it still showed a pint low. Immediately took it back to the dealer, dropped it off, and went home. They called 3 hrs later to say that it needed another transmission. ;-( So now I am once again driving a new Sonata that they give out as a loaner. Maybe they will swap me even, the Sonata for the Elantra. ;-)
    The service rep said that when they call Hyundai for the repair authorization that Hyundai tells them whether to use a re-manufactured or new transmission. Forgot to ask specifically about the warranty on a remanf xmission but I will ask when they call me back on Monday to say how long it will take to repair.
    Sorry to hear about your troubles. Hope they will get it fixed. At least they gave you a nice loaner!
    I took my '01 GLS 5-speed on its longest one-day trip ever today, almost 300 miles to take my oldest son and a buddy to camp. It was about 10% city/slow dirt roads, 40% freeway (65-70 mph), and 50% country highway (55-65 mph). Weather was perfect, 60-75 (no A/C needed) and dry. I had 400 pounds of passengers and cargo (besides myself) for half the trip.

The car was great throughout, except on some worn concrete surfaces where the tire noise picked up. No wind noise, even at 70 mph. The cruise control is dead-on, even going up hills. And no shimmy! The best part was the fuel economy: 41.0 mpg for the trip, the highest I've ever recorded on this car. But then, I almost always drive it around town. This was only the 2nd trip of more than 100 miles that I've made with the car.
  • wendy1wendy1 Member Posts: 4
    I'm thinking I want an Elantra, but I figured I'd at least look at the Corolla, since I have a Corolla now. The Toyoto dealer told me about the recent air bag problems with the Elantra. Look at http://abcnews.go.com/sections/Business/US/hyundai_airbag_040623-- 1.html

Now I'm thinking I should not get it. Anyone know more about this?
    If you need to transport lightweight adults in the front seat, then you may want to go with the Corolla, unless Hyundai comes up with a fix for the airbag problem soon. You might ask your Hyundai dealer about the status (then post what you find out!). The other thing you can do if you want an Elantra is be sure to test-drive the car you are going to buy with a light adult (say around 100-120 pounds) in the front passenger seat to see if the airbag light goes off as it should (meaning the passenger airbag is active).

The Corolla is a very good small car, with the only significant problem being an uncomfortable driving position for many people of average height or more. You might be able to get a good deal on a leftover '04 ('05s are out now).
  • jimijamesjimijames Member Posts: 41
    Wow, I read the ABC news link and was apalled at Hyundai's response... if you can call it that. The official spokesperson was quoted as saying "Either move to the back seat or move to another Hyundai vehicle". What the hell is that?? This is the one of the stupidest things I've ever heard! The correct response should be for Hyundai to replace the passenger seat sensor or the whole seat. The TSB suggestion that the ABC article mentions is just as stupid. So far, I am very disappointed with Hyundai's response. If I was in the market for a new car, I would be steering clear of the whole Hyundai brand because of the way they are choosing to handle this.

Does anybody know if the other model years are affected or just the 04's? My 02 and 03 do not have the pass airbag off light, so I wouldn't know until after an accident.
    Only the '04s have the sensor.