Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Elantra 2001-2006

Comments

• jsapiejsapie Member Posts: 28
    In Response to message #492, I purchased a new 2001 Elantra and was offered a HPP Bumper to Bumper 10 year / 100,000 mile warranty from my dealer for $759.00. Called around other dealers in the area and the most was $1500.00 for the same. I was looking for a better price but this must be the best one around!
  • pewtermanpewterman Member Posts: 17
    Regarding the hesitation you notice, I have noticed the same thing, but donot think it is a problem. I have driven some Chryslers in the past
    that seemed to exhibit the same characteristics. But, check with your service department and see what they say.

Speaking of service, I have recently visited the website "hmaservice.com". It allows consumers to check possible solutions to possible problems. It even has the stats for 2001 Elantra! You can print out engine pics, flowcharts, and test codes. If your service department isn't totally helpful, having some of these printouts might be good. There is also a link for the techs, so they can visit the same site. I thought this might be helpful.

Regarding posts about warranties: my dealer also offered me the 10/100,00 warranty for $759. AND I LIVE IN A PRICEY AREA! I'm not sure why dealers would be offering this for almost twice as much, considering all the other online warranties. And how about those? Anybody have any experience with them? And do any simply pick up where the Hyundai warranty stops? Please let me know.
  • bobcook54bobcook54 Member Posts: 79
    Being a manager at a Hyundai dealer and employed at for the same dealer for 18 years,I can tell you from experience that always,always,always stay with the manufacturers extended service program. You don't have to buy it at the same dealer that you bought the car from,so shop around.Dealers by and large are free to set their own prices(except in states and local areas where it is prohibeted). All,say Hyundai, dealers know what HPP is and know how to administer it-and know that they will get paid. Some(not all) after market warrenties do all they can NOT to cover a repair and the customer seems to want to blame the dealer for something he didn't even sell to the customer! Also,you usually can get at least within in striking distance of the price of the after market with the factory.Above all,read carefully what the contract covers and under what conditions.You do lottsa times get what you pay for.HPP does pick up where the factory warrenty end(as do all that I know of) and gives you first day rental. Bob
    Hi, Bob!

Thanks for the info. I wasn't aware that first day rental was included in the factory warranty. This is sounding better. And the price is not bad. And I have heard of some difficulties with some warranty companies. That's why I'm looking for input.

BTW, if you've been selling Hyundais for 18 years, not only does that say something about the car, but I think it probably makes you a good asset to this forum. Hope you stick around!
    FYI
    I called Hyundai Last week since no information is given about the way they protect their cars from rust. They told me that "the metal is chemically cleaned and coated"
    They had no other explanation.

Also, Thanks for the reply on the HAP Warranty.
    Hyundai taxed me a sample of the warranty for review. I did not like the section about if the part just wears out and does not break it will not be covered. What if the NV joint wears out. No replacement??
    Read the warranty before you buy.
    My message has some "corrections" from the spell check feature. Sorry!
    Let me clarify- the no charge(comes with the car) warrenty DOES NOT include a rental car-only if you purchase the HPP plan do you get first day rental.Also,so you know, I've been involved with Hyundai for 6 or 7 years- I have also 16 years Chrysler experience(along side with Hyundai) and also Buick and GMC Truck. We are multi franchised. Bob
  • falis01falis01 Member Posts: 9
    Hello everyone, it is me again. I haven't posted in a while, but I am always reading all the posts and getting insight. I am glad to see that most people posting are now considering or owning 2001's. that's great. I took a look at one at the 2001 NAIAS auto show in Detroit back in Jan. Really nice car. The GT was there as well, but I was a little disappointed. The back is not all that attractive. I am waiting to see what they look like on the street and not up on a display.

I own a 2000 Elantra 5-speed wagon and I love it. That is why I am a little sad because my wagon is a very nice looking car and they are going to replace it with a less pratical hatch that doesn't match the front design lines of the sedan. I have just turned over to 28,000 miles and it is a dream to drive. It handles so well, is extremely peppy and makes my 15 mile commute every day a treat. I have had no major issues with it and plan to keep it for many more miles to come. Just wanted to let everyone know that the cars seem to handle the abuse of commuting everyday as well as the long trips to Canada, Detroit and Erie that I take all the time. Good luck to everyone who buys one, they are certainly worth it, especially with all the new positive crash test data coming out on the 2001 models. Side airbags, power everything, and a 140 hp engine standard on a $12,000 car(11,499 advertised in the Pittsburgh paper this weekend) !?!?! I think anyone who is still looking should stop here and go out and get one. By the way, I don't work for Hyundai nor am I affiliated with them or any dealer in any way. My past cars have included 3 Toyotas, 2 Mazdas a Nissan so I am used to quality vehicles.
    According to what we heard at the dealership level,the Elantra wagon WILL be back in the 2002 model year and take it's place along side the 5dr hatchback and the 4dr sedan.So wagon lovers,hang in there-your needs will be satisfied next year!!!!! Bob
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    FYI: some Hyundai dealers (like mine, Denny Hecker's Roseville Hyundai in Roseville, MN) supply free loaner cars to owners of cars purchased there, if the car has to be kept more than one day for service. This is with the standard warranty. This particular dealer gives you a compact-class car from Enterprise Rent-a-Car for free, but lets you pay for an upgrade if you wish (not a bad deal, as you could pay a few extra bucks and rent a pickup for that sofa you purchased). They also provide free washes. I checked around, and not all dealers in my area offer those services. Those little niceties can add up over the lifetime of a car, especially in the North Country where we visit the car wash frequently in wintertime. I actually paid $100 more for my Elantra at Roseville Hyundai than at the dealer with the lowest offer partly because of these services (and also because they had the color I wanted on the lot, and the other dealer refused to trade for it at their low-ball price). So before you buy, check out the dealer's service policies.
  • ohiogoodguysohiogoodguys Member Posts: 19
    I agree with Backy. I might not have gotten The LOWEST price when I Leased my Honda CRV in June 2000, but I was extremely happy with the dealership and the service that they offer. To me the Little things make a difference. Some people are too obcessed with saving a few dollars that they go all over to do it. Not that I dont like saving money I wanted a good car and a good price and a Total dealership experiance. I have my car serviced there and have a good relationship with the sales person. I recommond all my friends to them.
    I think that Isellhondas would agree with that

P.S. Im reading the elantra board because I am looking for a good inexpensive second car and can get a package 4 97 with 60K for a good price and wanted to know everyones opinion of the Elantra.
    I have a friend with a 2000 elantra with 20K and likes it.

Jack
  • ohiogoodguysohiogoodguys Member Posts: 19
    my dealer through in alot of little extras which made the deal enjoyable.

I actually walked out of the dealership happy.
    Being in the car business,I have a saying.... You can always tell how much a dealer made off you by how much "free things" they gave you! Those things cost real money and that has to come from somewhere,i.e.,profits.That being said,if you did pay a little more for services that you will enjoy and benefit from and a dealer that did give you a total delightful experience,then,in my opionin,you've come out way ahead of a person that tried to save a few bucks. Bob
  • brownjtoddbrownjtodd Member Posts: 1
    Can anyone help with the procedure to program my remote? They had to order me one from the factory, and I don't want to wait a week to get it programmed at the dealer! thanks
  • armagostarmagost Member Posts: 10
    "Side Impact Rear: Very Poor" ??? Edmunds.com needs to update their info. The Side Impact Rating for 2001 is five stars Front Occupant, four stars Rear Occupant. A big improvement. Front impact results for the 2001 model won't be released until April. Frustrating! These results will be significant because the engine is bigger and heavier this year.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/ncap/
  • blackhawk2blackhawk2 Member Posts: 11
    Hello,

First off, I would like to thank kevperro1 for the advice he gave me on message #450 for my search of a good deal on an Elantra '01 auto with package 3, mud guards, and floor mats. The price www.carsdirect.com gave me, including destination charge($495) and the $500 rebate, was $13,636. I included tax and applied the titling fees which came out to $14,484. I therefore offered $14,284 but instead bumped it up to $14,357 out the door and got it. The dealer even threw in the special wax coating at no cost. It was rather tough negotiating when they had to bring in the manager of the dealership to take over the haggling, but everything went well otherwise. What I wanted to ask is, did I do the right thing with this deal? I keep thinking I'm missing something that could've reduce the cost, but oh well...again, thanks kevperro1 for the advice. Love the car!! Got it in Pewter too! My favorite color and the only one they had on the lot! :)
  • ral2167ral2167 Member Posts: 791
    let me understand-- you bought an elantra automatic with option package 3, floor mats, mud guards, destination, and a $500 rebate for $13,636? let's add the invoice cost, based on edmunds numbers:

elantra auto: $12,236
    option 3: $633
    floor mats/mud guards: $82
    destination: $495 (edmunds says dest. is $435, but we'll use your $495)

total: $13,446
    less $500 rebate= $12946

if these figures are right, and you paid $13,636, you paid $690 over "invoice," or 5.3% over.

am i nuts, or is this too much over invoice to pay on an elentra? personally, i think you could have bought the car for $13K even, $13,100 at most.

am i missing something here? does hyundai add a $500 or so advertising charge in its invoices? if not, i think $13,600 is too much for the car described. not that i am trying to rain on anyone's parade.... but you did ask. the main thing is, you seem to like the car-- so don't worry about it. i could be wrong in my analysis, anyway. am i?
  • tonykrapiltonykrapil Member Posts: 211
    You asked..... I guess you could have gotten a much worse deal.

I paid $1,136 less for the same package but I didnt get any freebies from the dealer.

You will like the car.

Tony

PS I paid 13,805 for my 00 Sonata
    Purchased a 2001 Pewter Elantra, Destination charges, Automatic, package #2, CA emissions, floor mats, cargo net, mud guards, and an extra remote for the alarm system for $12,700 plus tax and plate.
    Saw that same car a month later in our sunday paper for $12,400 plus tax and plate.
    The dealer had the extra remote ordered and installed in 1 week.
    BTY:
    To program the 2001 remote the dealer needs to remove the dash trim. Takes about an hour to rip it out, program and reinstall the dash.
    The 2000 elantra was much better to program since they only reach under the dash and hit the switch.
  • fencesitterfencesitter Member Posts: 3
    Hi all..... Having been reading this thread for a couple of months. I have drove all the compacts in the last month and believe that the Elantra is the best of the bunch. Went to my local dealer a week ago, test drove auto and stick. The auto seemed to shift irradically and this was in city driving... I was driving in the d position... wondeering if I should have used 3 instead? Anyone else experience this or just me? Anyway... I want an option 3 Elantra... dealer had only autos. I ended up driving a base, with stick... like it... so ended up in the dealership with the sales manager.... Dealer was asking $13,700 or so.... told them that they were advertising 11,188... they very quickly dropped to that price. Price included $500 rebate. Everything was going good... I have a preapproved loan from e-loan... a great service by the way, would recommend them to everyone.... loan is good for 115% of MSRP up to a certain amount... anyway going through the signing process... dealer contacts e-loan to fax all information need...and they tell the dealer that they won't finance any Korean vehicles!!!! That pretty much ruined the evening... dealer assured me that they could match the interest rate... but it was late and they didn`t know for sure if they could get me the same rate... but wanted to write the contract so i could drive home with my new car. They said if I didn't get the rate match... I would have 2 weeks to find a lower rate or go with the contract rate. Luckly or unluckly... I had the same experience 15 yrs ago when I bought a Mustang... I ended up getting a terrible rate when the dealer couldn't get the rate they promised for a 2yr loan. Ended up with a 4 yr loan. Anyway... having been through that, I balked at the dealership. They called me the next day and wanted me to come pickup the car and sign the contract. Haven't been back yet... it was amazing.
    My 01 Elantra with auto is smooth as can be except when shifting into second which is actually very smooth BUT seems like a hesitation or lull when going slow BUT do not notice it when driving a bit faster.

The auto in the Elantra is actually much nicer than the one in my 00 Sonata.

Make sure you get everything in writing from the dealer and dont seem too much in a hurry. Seems to me you are playing it cool and have bagged a fine deal!

Take care,

Tony
    what's so hot about eloan if they don't finance korean cars? go to peoplefirst.com-- get your loan there
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Noted posting re "extra" remote. Does that mean you got three remotes? If you got only two, I hope the dealer didn't charge you extra for it. Every '01 Elantra with remote locking is supposed to have two remotes, but it isn't that simple...

I got one remote with my new Elantra in early November. Dealer said that's all you get. Several other posters here had same experience. Then someone posted a way to get a second remote--they complained to Hyundai directly and were told they should have two. I called my dealer. The sales manager apologized, said that early Elantras didn't get the second remote because there was a shortage (hmm, better go check my spare tire), and said that a letter was going out to us one-remote owners in the near future asking us to come in and get our second remotes and have them programmed. So all of you who got only one remote--demand your fair share!!
    One thing that you forgot to figure in is the advertising costs that the all the car manufacturers charge us dealers.this charge varies from area to area and ranges from appox.$230.00 to $350.00.Destination charges on all Hyundais increased by $60.00 on Jan. 1st. Bob
  • formula94formula94 Member Posts: 22
    I purchased a '01 Elantra Manual option4 they wanted 14,500 I got it for 12.7k, mudguards,wind deflector,floor mats.

I went through e-loan 7% no problems with the Korean thing!

I also got 1 remote and they sent me another and as we speak it is in the shop to have its first service.

There is not a lot of mark up on these cars , but you should be able to get it at or below invoice.
    Thanks tonykrapil and ral2167 for your input, don't worry it if you thought it would make me upset or anything about the deal. That's the reason I asked because I felt I did something wrong and wanted to get someone elses input, I appreciate it greatly. Thanks for taking the time to respond, I may have rushed into the deal and may have made mistakes, live and learn, I don't regret it, I still love the car :)
  • jim3039jim3039 Member Posts: 28
    I'm about to negotiate the price on a 2001 Elantra for my Mom and could use some advice. She wants an Auto Transmission with Package 3. My research indicates that with destination and CA emissions fees, the invoice price after $500 rebate is $13,021. Based on what I've read here, it seem like we should be able to get this car at invoice or $100 over. One other consideration, we are paying CASH. Any feedback you can provide on this reasoning would be greatly appreciated. What should my target price be? Since we are paying cash, should we try to get it under invoice given there is a 2% dealer hold back?
  • barryd1barryd1 Member Posts: 1
    To Blackhawk2, it appears to me that carsdirect.com's price of 13,636 did not reflect the rebate despite stating that it did.

Barry
    Hi, folks!

I really LOVE my new '01 Elantra, but have noticed something odd with the driver's side mirror. I've been in touch with another poster who seems to have a concern about this, as well. It appears to be "distorted", especially at the edges. Before I take the leap to the repair shop, I thought I'd ask if anyone else has noticed such. Please let me know.
  • elantra00elantra00 Member Posts: 225
    Hey, anyone got pictures of their Elantra? I got a couple. Either site links for them or whatever would be cool. I always enjoy seeing what other Hyundai owners did to their cars and option combination and colors that are out there.

For new Elantra owners, I'd like to share a few tips that have kept my Elantra looking the same for almost a year now (showroom condition), especially for those that are black, these ideas really help.

-Never, ever bring it to the automatic car wash. Better leaving it dirty then doing a "quick fix"
    -Dry the car with a shami or the "Water blade"
    -Use Turtle Wax Scratch and Swirl Remover. It works wonders and gives the car a real brilliant shine.
    -Armor all orginal shine on the interior. protects the dashboard from cracking and gives it a nice shine
    -Either Armor all tire foam or Turtle Wax Wet'n Black for the tires.
    -Dont use wheel cleaner on the rims. It can take the finish off.
    -Armor all auto class cleaner...keeps those windshield wiper marks from forming

This has been time tested too. I have a 1996 Jeep Cherokee Classic with 100,000 miles on it. I have been doing what I have said above throughout its life and the car still looks brand new. And it sits out in the rain and snow or whatever decides to fall from the sky

Thats about it. Anything else anyone can think of please share!
    My local dealer advertises 01 Elantra every weekend... prices change every week.... 11,888... 11,488... 11,188 and this weekend 11,249.... I think sales are pretty slow. I am wondering if I should wait for a bigger rebate or make the purchase now? I see that Toyota is starting rebates in my area. Anyone have thoughts.... everything I hear seems to point to slower sales and bigger rebates coming soon!!!
    I live in central california... stockton... my dealer.. Go Hyundai is advertising under invoice prices... if you include the $500 rebate. My advice is offer 500 under invoice... make sure that the sales manager understands that you are a informed buyer... My test drive salesman was talking 13,700 for base Elantra... when I went inside the dealership... I just started talking about 2 to 3 % holdback... internet dealers.... ran down the option list numbers and complained that I couldn`t get an option 3 with ABS... didn~t take too long to get to the sales managers office. I was using a e-loan bank draft... just like cash. Like I said, my dealer was willing to take 11,188 for a base Elantra.... I am going to get an option 3 with stick, so my target price is going to be 11,800 unless those rebates go up!
  • RojareynRojareyn Member Posts: 7
    Howdy,

I posted a few weeks ago about how I was in an accident with a '98 VW Jetta. Well, on the 26th of January, I called the insurance company, found out that oil had leaked all over the engine, which essentially destroyed it. This pushed the repair bill to over $10K leading the insurance company to declare it a total loss.

Since I had already test driven the Elantra and knew what I want, I went over to the dealership the next day and found one with the options I wanted and with the color I wanted. (Option 4, Midnight grey, stick).

So far, I've really enjoyed the car. It looks smart, drives exceptionally well, has more than enough power, and provides a good ride. The only problems I've noticed are the engine buzzing, and the wheel will shake a little bit around 70mpg (Tires might be a little low).

In case anyone's curious, I paid $13,750 for:

- Option 4 (CD Player, Cruise, Moon roof)
    - Mudguards
    - Floor mats
    - Cargo Net

Final note: It PAYS to take good care of your car. I was very religious about the maintenance on the Jetta and the car was appraised at $2K over what my payoff was. Good deal!

- Cheers!
    Thanks Barry, yeah...after the input I've gotten, I went back to the site and checked each cost to be sure they were all accounted for and also noticed that the rebate wasn't calculated in the Carsdirect price. I guess I should have checked before negotiating, which explains why I was like $500-$600 above invoice mentioned by ral2167 because I based the price on that. Oh well, hope no one overlooks that like I have. Hope everyone had a good day.
  • joehyundai1joehyundai1 Member Posts: 15
    I am going to upgrade my tape/stereo to a CD/stereo. I will bring it to a local retailer to have it done.

I am going to replace the rear speakers myself. Can anyone help me on this matter? I do not know how to remove the rear speaker screen. Also, are the rear speakers 6x9's or 5x8's?

Thanks fellow '01 Elantra owners
  • bluewindsbluewinds Member Posts: 100
    It is small MPV. There are lots of rumors that it is based on Elantra. However, nobody knows it yet. It will be introduced in Korean market in Jun.

http://bbs1.adwars.com/read.php?table=mildbreeze&no=56

• elantra00elantra00 Member Posts: 225
    The back speakers are 6 X 9s. I tried to remove the rear grilles to put new speakers in the back and ended up cracking one in half. the way you take them off is there are clips underneath the rear dash holding the grilles in. VERY DIFFICULT to remove. I had Hyundai put the new grille in for me. You have to take the whole rear deck out to get to the speakers.

By the way, were you the one talking about upgrading your stock CD player to the Hyundai CD/Cassette deck? If you were, how much was that? Thanks
  • formula94formula94 Member Posts: 22
    My '01 is in the shop and dismantled.

The drivers door light was out and it needed its first oil change. When they went to fix it they noted that the connector had corroded! So the car needs to have a good portion of the electrical work replaced. They have reported this to the manufacturer and set me up with a rental (Ford Focus). Lets hope all is well, maybe first year model jinx??
  • hbund216hbund216 Member Posts: 162
    Formula94, what State do you live in? Keep us updated on what happens. It should be interesting.
  • pokerdocpokerdoc Member Posts: 9
    Anyone else having a problem keeping those plastic hooks on the floor (the ones that keep your floor mats in place) closed? And short of safety pins and superglue, any suggestions on how to keep those buggers latched?

Postscript: Bought the car Dec. 29. After twice calling the salesperson, we were FedExed a second remote on January 8. Yesterday, as part of a mass mailing, we received our third remote. Hah!
    i was investigating a lease on an elantra-- what was troubling was-- for a car that had an MSRP of $14,330 (or thereabouts), the residual value after 36 months was $5732-- it came out to exactly 40%. A 60% loss in resale value (lease was also for 12000 miles a year, not 15000) seemed large.... suffice to say, the whole idea of leasing is to have lower monthly payments since you're only paying for the loss in value of the car for the 36 months only, but with such a large loss in value over the 36 months, i'm not sure the elantra is the way to go as far as a lease (the sentra i got a lease quote from showed a residual value of 54% after 39 months, or a loss of 46%). am i nuts in these numbers?
    Hello,

I probably shouldnt even be replying as I never leased a car before, BUT am curious about WHY it matters to you as a leasee UNLESS you are then planning on buying the car.

I understand that when leasing, you should contract for the price that you would actually pay for the car which would bring it down to 12,500 with auto and rebates and a few little extras. Now, do your math and see what happens, BUT I still dont see a need to care. Hopefully I will learn something on this post.
    Cya
    Tony
  • ken126ken126 Member Posts: 39
    Does anyone know if the quality of the paint improved over the 2000 model. Last year I was looking at the 2000's and I noticed scratches already on the cars!!
    The price that you actually pay for the car(cap cost) and what the vehicle is worth at the end(residual value),plus the interest rate(rate factor) are the main things that determines your payment. If the manufacturer has a "subsidised" program;i.e, low interest rates for a lease or they artificially raise the lease end value(in which case,you wouldn't want to buy it at the end because it would't be worth that amount),or a combination of both, can all affect the payments.So, if all you care about is the payment,look for competing cars and what the manufacturer has to offer.Hyundai Finance hasn't had a good lease program since 1997(at least in the eastern part of the USA),probably because they got burnt on the artifically high residuals that they placed on their vehicles!
    i have to believe a 40% residual value figure makes a big difference in leasing, despite what some of you are saying-- i did the math below.

let's say I lease an elantra with a $14,330 MSRP, but the cap cost (what i actually negotiate the price down to) is $12,500. I used the edmunds leasing worksheet for this:

MSRP: 14300
    Cap Cost: 12500
    Resid Value: 5732 (40% of MSRP after 36 months-- what Hyundai quoted me)
    Term Depreciation: 6768 (cap cost - resid value)
    Money Factor: .0031 (7.5% / 24)
    Monthly lease rate: 56.52 (12500 + 5732 times .0031)
    Monthly depreciation: 188 (6768 / 36)
    6% tax : 14.67 (56.52 + 188 times .06)
    Monthly Payment: $259.19 (56.52 + 188 + 14.67)

NOW, if the Elantra had a 54% residual value that the Nissan dealer quoted on a Sentra), here's the numbers:

MSRP: 14300
    Cap Cost: 12500
    Resid Value: 7738 (54% of MSRP after 36 months, not 40%)
    Term Depreciation: 4762 (cap cost - resid value)
    Money Factor: .0031 (7.5% / 24)
    Monthly lease rate: 62.74 (12500 + 7738 times .0031)
    Monthly depreciation: 132.28 (4762 / 36)
    6% tax : 11.70 (62.74 + 132.28 times .06)
    Monthly Payment: $206.72 (56.52 + 188 + 14.67)

Seems to me, i would pay $206.72 a month, versus $259.19, if the elantra had a 54% residual value, and not the 40%. Am i missing something? If I am , please let me know...(heck, the acquisition fee was even higher for the elantra as well). Now, I've never leased before, so this is why I am trying to understand. Anyone help me?
    I am guessing that you are perhaps intending to BUY the car and hope to save some money in doing so. I am not sure as you never mentioned your ultimate goal here.

IF you financed the car, with 1000 down and for the dealer incentive rate of 0.9% and depending on the amount of time you decide to pay it back in, the figures below may help you .

Tony

Loan Amount 11,500 Loan Term (months) 48
    Rate 0.9%

Rate Monthly Payment Total of Payments
    0.90 % $244.01 $11,712.55
  • brownjtbrownjt Member Posts: 1
    I let my gas gauge get all the way to empty, then filled up the tank with only 11 gallons! Do other people have this? With a 14.5 gallon tank plus at least 0.5 gallons in the tube, that means there is still 4 gallons (almost 30% of tank) left at empty. Does this sound normal? I have a 2001. thanks
    I think this is a great margin of safety. My expereience is that IF I stop filling when it clicks off, I can get almost 2 or more gallons into the tank.

I think there is also a low fule lite on the dash some, I hope I never see mine lite up.

Tony
    i own a solara-- i was just considering a second car for 36 months ..not to actually buy at the end of the lease.... i just find it confusing that on a 36 month lease with less money down, my monthly payment on a nissan sentra GXE lease (MSRP $15048) would be LESS than on a 36 month lease on an elantra with an MSRP of $14330. i think part of the reason was the hyundai had a 40% residual value versus the sentras 54%. in fact, hyundai quoted me a 36 month lease on the car with the $14,430 of $299/month -- plus i had to pay $525 acquisition fee/security deposit. the sentra i was quoted was around $225 (lower acquisition/no security deposit), and the MSRP on the sentra was, as I say, $15,048 versus the $14,330.
    I'm not putting down the elantra-- i just think having a 40% residual value might not make this the car to consider leasing. am i nuts?

now i will admit this: i actually sat down at the nissan dealer and did some negotiating to get them down to the $225 price-- with the elantra, i just telephoned for a figure, and they called back with the numbers-- i didn't actually negotiate. but, in a previous post, i did base my numbers on a $12,500 selling price on the $14,330 MSRP-- and you could see it still was a higher monthly payment.
    Again,the reason the Nissan is less is because the residual is higher(assuming the same msrp,selling price,and interest rate). I am not sure if they are subsidizing the residual. But, I will tell you this- Hyundais have never particularly leased well and its because of their perceived value on the used car market.