Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Elantra 2001-2006

L8_ApexL8_Apex Member Posts: 187
Welcome to the continuation of the Hyundai Elantra
topic. Those of you joining us from that topic
are welcome to continue your discussion.

If you're new to this topic, you may want to
follow the above link for additional archived
posts.

Thanks,

L8_Apex
Sedans Host

Comments

• schreck1schreck1 Member Posts: 3
    I used to work for a place that did body work many years ago. We haven't done any in about 5 years but I haven't heard of any changes. If memory serves me, it's a violation of federal regulations to repair a bumper with any significant damage (significant being a tear or corruption of the plastic surface).

What many people don't realize is that the 5 mph bumper is nothing more than a plastic core covered by more plastic. Doing a cosmetic coverup may just hide the fact that the bumper is no longer viable protection against any impact. Be sure the damage is merely cosmetic and not structural.

Also, be sure the body shop is not going to do one of those cheap vinyl patch coverups you see on tv. Not only do they look cheap, the patch has a tendency to fade differently than the rest of the bumper and, in some cases, come off after a short period of time.
  • richsaprichsap Member Posts: 93
    A more logical method...

Assuming you will own the car for a few years, and assuming that you will scratch/dent your bumper a couple more times during those years...

Why not buy a nose protector (bra) and cover the bumper up for a couple of years (or until you decide to sell the car). Then have the work on the bumper done. If you have indeed dented/scratched it a few more times, you'll only have to replace it once instead of each time it gets damaged.

My front bumper on my 2k Elantra was struck by a 2x4 on the highway four weeks after I bought it. The paint was scraped off the bumper, but because you can't see it through the bra, I'm not going to worry about it for a few years.

Note that this applies to the bumper only, as it is plastic and will not rust over time.

Also, the $80 bra will serve to protect the paint from rock chips on the front edge of the hood.
  • shakthishakthi Member Posts: 1
    Hi All

Am planning to buy a new Elantra 2000. All Elantra holders please advice me whether its a worth buying vehicle and also let me know howz the resale. What is the best deal i can strike with stick shift, moonroof and ABS.
    Please advice
    Thanks for your time
    shakthi
  • jkempskiejkempskie Member Posts: 49
    I never heard of anyone with ABS on their Elantra, though it is of course an option. I would think it'd be very hard to find one with it...
    My mother had abs on a previous Buick she owned. Brakes wore out at less than 25,000 miles and it cost her $600 to have them fixed due to the complexity of the system.

One reason I chose the Elantra over cars like the Cavalier was because it didn't have abs. Besides, it's an outrageously expensive option and not worth the 5% discount you get from insurance, especially when you factor in repair costs.
  • bshadowbshadow Member Posts: 2
    Want to price it? Visit this site www.carsdirect.com . It is the best site I have found for comparing different cars and getting a price. They will lock in the price they give you and then you can buy through them if a dealer won't match.
  • bshadowbshadow Member Posts: 2
    I am in the market for a car and I have been
    checking out the Elantra because it
    really sounds like the best deal out there for what I want.

Problem: I live 150 miles from the nearest
    dealership and I was wondering about problems, if
    any, that people have had using the roadside
    assistance. Being so far from the dealership has
    been the only draw back I can find so far.

Thanx in advance for all responses.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    Schreck1, you mom was screwed big time. If you mean that the pads or rotors wore out, than ABS does not cause it to be more expensive. ABS does not add any complexity to the braking system when it comes to changing pads and rotors. Only if you run into an ABS warning light and malfunction does it get more complicated and expensive to fix. My Dad has changed the pads on my Mom's 92 Accord with ABS in less than a half hour and only cost him $20. The Accord now has 181,000 miles on it with no repairs ever needed to the ABS system. So, your Mom was gouged big time if she only needed a routine brake job.
    Elantra00, do you honestly think downshifting your manual tranny will do any good if your brakes have locked in a panic stop?? I don't think so! The whole point to ABS is to keep your brakes from locking so you retain steering control and to shorten stopping distances in both wet and dry conditions. Some cars benefit less from ABS than others, but my 2000 Accent is one that definitely would benefit from that option. My front brakes lock way too easily, making the steering useless. They have already locked 3 times in the past 3 months, one of which I only asked the car to stop moderately fast when someone pulled out in front of me on a moist road when I was going 40 mph. The right front brake locked immediately and I lost complete steering control as the car skidded and screeched to a stop, thankfully before hitting the jerk who pulled out. If my car had ABS, I could have steered away from him into a side street if I did not have enough space to stop, or it would have helped me stop way shorter so it wouldn't have even been a near miss. It also would increase the confidence I have in how my car reacts in emergency situations. My car is a manual so I am well aware how engine braking helps slow the car quicker than does an automatic, but it doesn't help if your front brakes are locked. In other words, I think ABS is far from a waste of money! I highly suggest it to anyone who can afford it and can wait to find one equipped with that rare option.
  • elantra00elantra00 Member Posts: 225
    thats not what i meant. my opinion is that i would take that money and put it towards options such as rims, moonroof and so forth. ive had my car for about 3 months so far and the brakes never locked on me. so, ive driven my mothers saab 9-3 w/ 5 spd and with antilock brakes. the braking was better, but thats because it has rear disc brakes vs the elantra with rear drum brakes. however, the saab stopped slightly better then the elantra. another example would be my old car....a 1986 toyota corolla. never once did the brakes lock up or fail. never a problem with them whatsoever. This is strictly my opinion. i just rather put my money for other options rather then that.
  • jlim1jlim1 Member Posts: 50
    I have found out that my 2000 Elantra has plenty of tire, engine, and wind noise felt and heard in the cabin. Reviewers on MSN seem to agree with my findings. I wonder if the tires (Michelin XGT) are the cause of the excessive noise. I used to test drive a 99 Corolla and it was heavenly quiet in the cabin. I guess that's one of my disappointing driving moments in an Elantra apart from the so-so AC and the driver-side blind spot not cleared out by the windshield wipers.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    Michelin XGT tires are known for being noisy tires, as is the MXV4. My brother has an Integra GSR which came with XGT-V4 tires that were ridiculously loud at highway speeds. He switched to Dunlop SPsport 9000 and the car was noticeably quieter (not to mention grippier in the wet and dry). My sister's Honda Accord had tire noise problems with the XGT4 tires and my Mom's Honda Accord with MXV4 tires was loud as well. It seems to be a chronic problem with Michelin tires. They may be high quality and long lasting, but boy are they noisy! I would imagine those tires are partially to blame for the road noise you are hearing. I suggest switching to either Bridgestone or Dunlop. My experiences with them have been very good, as well as noticeably quieter at highway speeds.
  • jxcarjxcar Member Posts: 8
    Many thanks to Liufei, richsap and schreck1 for advices. I've decided to leave the bumper alone and fix it after the next mishap. :) It's not obvious at all when I look at it now, anyway.
    However, I do think about covering the scratches around it with touchup paint. There's also a small scratch on the passanger door (door-ding?). Do you know any good choice for touchup paints? Any specification on Elantra paint? How good would this thing work?
    Richsap: Last weekend, I just got a CD changer for my Elantra like the one you described for me. Thank you so much!
    It's a JVC 12-CD changer. Cost only $270 including installation. It has one year factory warranty for the CD changer and lifetime labor warranty from the store. It's installed at the upper edge of the trunk. They said it's the only place they'd put it with warranty since it's the only spot in the trunk that would avoid bumping and hitting from things in there. It has two controls (one cordless), both can be easily hidden.
    I think it's a great deal. Highly recommand anyone who doesn't have a CD player to get one like this. It's great fun and costs no more than just a CD player. Plus, you get to keep the original radio and cassette!
  • liufeiliufei Member Posts: 201
    Since your Elantra is new, best bet is your dealership to get matching color. It probably cost around $3-$5 per can. Auto shop like Autozone may have them for less, but dont know if they carry one for Elantra.
    Shakthi: I got my 2000 Elantra for more than 2 months now. I'm very happy for my choice. To me, it's the best value out there for the class. I'll keep the car for at least 10 year, as the warranty lasts, so the resale is no big deal.
    I agree with Elantra00, you should look for around $11500 or even less (before tax) at this time of the year. I got mine more than 2 months ago for $10K (5-speed, base model).

bshadow: I don't think how far away you live from the dealership matters when it comes to roadside assistance. The roadside assistance services are provided through "Cross Country Motor Club" and have nothing to do with dealerships, I assume. And it claims to cover "anywhere in US and Canada". However, I'm not sure how well it covers some remote areas. Maybe you should call Hyundai or the motor club to check it out. I've never used the service yet, so can't comment on their quality.
  • baberbaber Member Posts: 96
    Backed my 99 Accent into a metal guy wire about 3 months after I bought it. It really scratched up the rear bumper. I bought a little jar of touch up paint from my Hyundai dealer for 5 bucks. It had a little brush on it. I was able to touch up the scratches pretty well. This paint matches perfectly. Get the touchup paint at the dealer.

Scott
  • groove518groove518 Member Posts: 7
    I've had my 5-speed Elantra for little over a month now. I've got slightly more than 3,000 miles on it already and I'm about to make a 2,500 mile roadtrip to the Midwest from my home on the East Coast. The car has been great so far, not a blip, rattle, squeak, or flaw. Most of my driving has been highway miles and I've been very pleased by the mileage I'm starting to see (33-36 mpg recently).
  • jpprivatejpprivate Member Posts: 10
    Hi

I've posted here before concerning the brake sound problem with my 2000 Elantra. The brakes make a knocking sound when I come to a slow stop. I brought it in to the dealer, and they "machined" the drums (no idea what that means). The noise actually went away for about 2 weeks, now the noise is back. :( I am not sure if I should bring it in (to the same dealer) again, or what...

Has anyone experienced a similar problem? I'd be grateful for any comments.

Jens
    Jens,

On drum type brakes, the brake pads are curved on the outside edge and have to be the same diameter as the inside of the brake drum. If the brake drum somehow gets out of round, it will decrease your braking power and cause the car to shudder when coming to a stop.

What the dealership did was put the drum on a machine that spins it around as if it were on the car. They then place a cutting tool onto the inner surface of the rotating drum and remove just enough metal to insure that the surface is exactly round and smooth.

If your brakes are making a knocking sound, there is something else wrong. I'm not a Hyundai mechanic, but work on cars often. The description sounds like a bad wheel bearing, which you may associate with the brakes because you only hear it at low speeds when you are slowing down. The brake drums had to be removed to be machined, and the wheel bearings come out also. They should have put new grease in the wheel bearings, which could have quieted them down temporarily.

Can you feel anything in the brake pedal as you slow down? Does it pulsate as you come to a stop? Does the car itself vibrate at all?

Sounds like another trip to the dealer. Sorry to hear you are having a problem. Definitely have the dealer's best suspension/drivability mechanic take a ride in the car. Good luck!
    Thank you for your response.

I tested it again, and the knocking sound only happens if I use the brakes (handbrake or regular). It's a very hollow sound, so I first thought it was something in the trunk.

I cannot feel any pulsating if I come to a stop, and the car itself does not vibrate.

Thanks again.

Jens
    Is it making a knocking sound, or more like a thumping sound? I heard a knocking sound too in my Elantra, but it turn out to be just the toolkit box is knocking on to the spare tire.
    I dont think using the handbrake should cause any sound at all though.
    Jens:

I, too, have a 00 Elantra. First 2 weeks I had it, the rear brakes made a thumping noise during a slow stop. Never made any noise if I pushed the brake pedal harder, only during a slow stop.

Took it to the dealer and he found nothing wrong. Took it to an acquaintance who is a BMW tech, and he couldn't find anything wrong other than questionable Michelin tires that are known for higher than average road noise. He stated that while the tires may last longer than other brands, they are very rough riding and noisy.

To make a long story short, the thumping noise disappeared and I haven't heard it in over a month. I have no clue where or what it came from, but I did find it odd that the noise stopped around the same time I made sure both rear tires were properly inflated to 30 psi (the dealer gave them to me at 25 psi, probably to smooth the ride some).

Check your tire pressure and make sure it's to proper psi levels. Never can tell if it'll help.
  • aboss16aboss16 Member Posts: 7
    Hi - I read ALL of the Message Boards Of Elantra - Im 16 Now - My parents will buy me a car - After I saw the New Elantra - I LOVED IT! - I Already DID SO MUCH research.. - Consumer Tests, Road Tests - Everything. But TheN my Mom Said what if ill change my mind and get something like a civic, So I Saw A Civic - I Loved the modification On it - Blue Lights (NOISE)..
    But , I read everything about it -Even the responces - And Im Back To HUYNDAI ELANTRA - It is 3rd in its class - And I LOVE the Shape - Price.. (One Thing - I Want Package 6 With Anti-Lock-Brakes--- Can They Add THat???)
    What Would THe FULL PRICE - Of FULL POWER - (rear Spolier - Automatic - In New York (8.25% Tax)Be - Full Out The DOOR Price - Thanks For All your Help - (SORRY for MISTAKES - This is My FIrst Board Writing Too...))
    I read That Comment - Thanks A lot - Im In Staten Island Though - But it is still helpfull - BUt i was thinking I can Get Pckg 5 With ANTI Lock Brakes - UNDER 13k With what people said - But ill look again - Do you Like the Car Though - and Thanks A LOT
    An Elantra with auto + package 5 invoice is listed at $13,232. Minus the $750 rebate will makes it cost $ 12,482 invoice. Plus a 8.5% sales tax it will be over 13.5K
    I think it will be hard to get it ttl below 13K (since the it will cut into the dealer holdback). But not impossible.

Good luck with your car shopping.
    p.s: package 5 already includes abs isn't it?
  • chulwoochulwoo Member Posts: 11
    I just found out that the elantra ("Avante") sold in korea looked quite different, at least from
    the rear.
    (http://www.hmc.co.kr/kor/cybermall/product/avantexd/index.htm)

I think personally it looks much better. Does anyone know if this is going to be 2001 elantra ?
    Any info will be appreciated.
  • coolmecoolme Member Posts: 2
    I was looking at buying Elantra online at www.greenlight.com. They also have a free delivery option. Can anybody tell me how good is this?? They offer pretty good rates and also manufacturer discounts(If any).

Cheers!!
  • zaxxon41zaxxon41 Member Posts: 6
    Hey guys,

I'm thinking of getting fog lights for my Elantra, but I want blue lenses. Anybody know where I can go to get them?

Thanks,

-Zack-
  • gunterzzgunterzz Member Posts: 1
    I bought my 2000 Elantra in October of '99,
    after hearing my friend rave about how great
    hers is (Sonota), even after owning it for
    seven years. "Hyundai is the way to go" she
    says. I purchased mine w/package 6, wheel
    upgrade, cd upgrade, all that good stuff. The
    warranty is what sold my hubby too. Our 20
    yr old daughter loved it from day one. Kept
    asking, "daddy, can I have mom's new car?"
    Mind you, she is a only child, goes to college,
    and working....and I admit, a bit spoiled.
    July rolls around and hubby says "how bout us
    looking at new cars, just to kill a saturday?"
    Well...mom drives home in a new car (cool!)
    and Lola (our nickname for our child) gets the
    Elantra. She is thrilled!! On July 28, she
    and a friend are hit head on by a drunk driver,
    who is traveling at 70mph, against Lola's 50.
    Thanks to ALL the safety features of the Elantra
    she walked away w/only cuts and bruises. Lola
    is very, very good about wearing seat belts.
    The drunk flew out of her camaro's back
    windshield and is still in a coma. Honestly,
    when the salesman talks about airbags, and about
    how the seat belts lock against sudden movements,
    even talking about "break away" steering columns,
    I just yawn....but I thank God and Hyundai for
    taking care of my child. We are car shopping
    today for Lola, and after seeing the pictures
    of the her totaled Elantra, she says "daddy,
    can I get another Elantra, just a different
    color?"

We are SOLD!
    Hyundai has factory foglights for the car, but there is not mounting bracket to mount the lights to, so you have to get part of the inside the bumper replaced. not worth it. you ll have to ask richsap about it, whether he put his in yet cause he ordered them. You should look at PIAA lights. I have PIAA 1100x series superwhite lights. They are not your average cheap K-mart lights.....$250 installed in NJ area. I highly recommend them though. Very high quality. I think i spoke to you once before through instant messanger when you first came into this forum. i have some pictures, if you would like to see. No offense, but blue lights dont look to good. I was thinking of getting them myself, butthey kind of make the car look ghetto when i saw them on cars around here. dont help visibility one bit, just are for looks. the superwhites i have help in fog, night driving and look cool when they are turned on. well worth the money i payed. here is a link of what the lights look like.

http://www.piaa.com/displayLamp.php3?inc=1100.html
  • pal37apal37a Member Posts: 3
    With my Y2K Elantra, I have 20K and no problem as of yet. The car is still very tight and well built. The road noise to me is very acceptable, what there is seems to be coming from the tires. Am so pleased I am think about a second to replace my old '92 Escort with 182,000 miles on it.
  • zaxxon41zaxxon41 Member Posts: 6
    I'd love to see some pics. The blue foglights were just an idea; I'm really open to any modifications that make my car look 'cool.' :-)
    Sorry - I meant Package 6 With ABS - Bc pkg 6 Includes Everything except Abs - (WHY DID THEY DO SUCH A DUMB THING) But they can probably add it - So ill try - To get the end year clearence
  • heckel2heckel2 Member Posts: 19
    Hi me and my wife are looking for cheap 2nd car. We once owned a used 91 excell and was the biggest piece of crap I've ever had next to a 95 ford contour. We live about 60 miles away from the nearest dealer and was wondering would they tow it that far for free. Some people were telling me that kia has the same warranty but it only covers 75.00 for mileage and then your on your own. Anyway for the price of the car with package 6 you can get it loaded for like 13,500. So needless to say nothing else comes with that much equipment for that price. I was just wanting in put before I buy a nightmare of a car. I know you can't go wrong with a warranty like they offer but I also didn't want to be inconvienenced every other week getting it fixed. I know everyone sells a lemon but I was just wanting to know in general about the car. Thanks for your time.
  • george00george00 Member Posts: 81
    If you haven't already, check the Civic vs Elantra forum where quality issues are being discussed - and everyone seems to agree that their Elantras are trouble-free. My 2000 Elantra GLS 5-speed is now 8½ months and 6600 miles old and has had no problems at all. I paid $11,500 + tax and title, which includes cruise control, power windows, mirrors and door locks, spoiler, and Clifford security lock. I get 28 mpg on mixed suburban/highway driving with a fairly light foot. Also, I found the dealer (Jim Click Hyundai in Tucson, Arizona), the salesman (Raymond Ringer) and the dealer's repair shop (for an oil change) all excellent. If you're comfortable in the car - check out the driver's seat, it's very hard and, to me, the seat-back is uncomfortably shaped - then it's really a much better deal, with much more equipment and a larger engine than its competitors, than anything else out there.
  • wystwyst Member Posts: 9
    Hey people long time no post.

Our car just went in for service ( that pesky mass-flow sensor thingie, and a few other minor items) they would not give us a loaner, I thought the basic warranty provided for a loaner car, were we mistaken?? They told us you only get a loaner if you purchased the extended warranty.

Thanks in advance
  • drimpledrimple Member Posts: 47
    The warranty does not state that a loaner car has to be given. It is the dealership's decision as to whether or not you receive a loaner car. I know that my Hyundai dealership will give you a loaner if the car is going to be in all day or longer. Otherwise they will provide a one-way taxi trip.
    Just echoing what drimple has said... it is at the dealer's discretion. My Daewoo dealer told me (verbally) that if the car is rendered undrivable, they would "do their best" to loan me a car. But that was when they were a part of a Toyota dealership and had rental/loaner vehicles coming out their ears. Now they are an independant dealership, selling only Daewoos. So who knows.

In a related story, I took my Elantra in 'cause the driver's door lock stopped working. I couldn't lock the car, even with the key. I had to argue with the service manager and get a special appointment date just to guarantee that I could get a ride to work while they tried to fix it (I work 15 miles away). Considering that they have ample salespeople wandering around aimlessly at 8 o'clock in the morning, I think this is ridiculous. Not at all like the contortionist act I got when buying the car... they bent over backwards to pick me up so I could pick the car up.

Hopefully other Hyundai dealerships are more professional and think long-term repeat sales than mine. As for the car... they had to order a door lock actuator, so I didn't have to wait long (an hour) but I will have to go in for another appointment when the part arrives.

Also, I noticed that the black paint on my power window switches was starting to wear through on the corners already (the car is only 5 months in service). The service manager said his Hyundai was doing the same thing, and ordered new switches under warranty. Heads up, folks... looks like this could be a problem on all the 2k Elantras/Hyundai products.
    i have only one complaint about my elantra. and that is the paint. it is kind of cheap and scratches easily. my car is black and i expect to see more, but it seems to scratch when i wash it cause i see new ones. it looks good from a distance, but when you get close enough, you can see a lot of marks. anyone else notice this who have black elantras? or notice anyway with a different color? thanks
    I've seen many an Elantra with crummy paint. It's seems to chip off of the rear bumper a lot from what I've noticed... looks terrible on white cars when you see the black coming through from underneath.
  • groove518groove518 Member Posts: 7
    I've now put on 6,200 miles in just 1 1/2 mos of owning a Y2k, 5-speed Elantra. Returned this weekend from a 3,000 mile trip to the Midwest. Car continues to function marvelously -- as tight, powerful, and responsive as anyone could hope for in this class. Mileage on the trip was consistently 33-36 mpg in turnpike and highway driving, even w/ AC on fairly often. My one concern is that I didn't get a chance to get an oil change before I left at 3,000 miles. While I was on my trip I got one at a quick lube place (at ~5000 mi). Even though the manual says you only need to change oil at 3000 mi if your driving has been heavy or severe (--mine has not been severe, mostly on the highway), I'm a little concerned that the dealer might still hold that against me when something does go wrong. Since my first oil change was just a few days ago, I'm wondering should I go to the dealership and have another one right away now that I'm over 6,000 (--primarily just to cover myself), or should I wait? Any advice?
    i wouldn't worry about it. the engine didnt seize up, did it? of course not. the engine oil light didnt come on. it also says in the manual that the oil doesnt need to be changed until 7500 miles under normal conditions. you were on the highway, not severe city driving, constant stop/go. so you are safe. you kind of changed it in the middle at 6000. you can argue that point if the dealer is an [non-permissible content removed] about it, if you should need to use your warranty sometime in the life of the car. the only thing they can argue is that if your engine seizes up sometime while you are driving, then they can say. "because you didnt change the oil at this time" but if the transmission blows up, or engine stalls or something crazy like that, they cant blame it on not changing the oil.

For example. A stupid kid i know didnt change his oil for 17,000 miles on his 96 honda accord. car was fine, engine light didnt even come on. still runs strong at 50k+ miles. point is, you didnt do any engine damage, and if the dealer was to ever blame you for not changeing your oil at 3k miles, say to him about 7500 mile change under normal conditions all highway. that should work, but they shouldnt bother arguing that point
    Isellhondas.....If you believe that the civic is such a great deal, and believe it to be a fact, then why are you fighting so damn hard! Myself along with many others in this forum know hyundai has a bad reputation and are showing others that its come a long way since the excel, is a quality built car and a great deal. You are insecure about the civic being better then the elantra, so you are fighting to defend it, but deep down inside your mind, you know the elantra is a better deal. If you didnt, you wouldnt be arguing so hard. You would be like "whatever, you guys are stupid if you think that. im not even going to waste my time here" you would just laugh and go on. but no, you fight and fight proving my point above.
    sorry guys, i thought i was in the "hyundai elantra vs. honda civic" that was suppose to be in there. i invite you all to come in there. its funny. there is a honda salesman in there who wont admit the elantra is a better deal then the civic and we are all making fun of him. he just won't give up! come join
  • justinjustin Member Posts: 1,918
    On the 2000 model Elantra sedan the interior is this greyish-purple color. Is that fabric pretty sturdy? It appears kind of thin. Will my 150 pound rear end wear out the seat cushions within a year? I have heard some things about hyundais wearing out sooner.....is that true?

I LOVE the fact that the car has some chrome around the windows....makes it look more upscale on the outside. The inside could use a little work though....
  • md_techmd_tech Member Posts: 84
    Almost at 7,500 and are Elantra is running well. I had a problem with surging and could't figure out why... I asked my husband what type of gas he had been putting in the vehicle??? Of course the lowest gas he could find... Well to cut the story short we changed the grade of gas and the Elantra is back to normal. I can run low grade gas in my Corrola,but higher grade gas is a must for are 5 speed Elantra....

Kristina/co host Our Turn
    Has anybody an idea when the first oil is due. I heard everthing from 800 miles, 1000 miles, 3000 miles.
    Thanks.
    its good to change your oil after the first 1000 miles cause as the engine is wearing in, debris may wear off and other crap and make its way into the oil pan. however, i didnt and i have no problems. 3000 is when i would change it although they say 7500 under normal driving conditons
    The dealer will "pressure" you to change it every 3,000 miles, but unless you're racing it around a circle track or drive in dirty, dusty conditions (out in the country, downtown L.A., etc.) every 6,000 miles is OK and will keep you safe under the warranty provisions. You can get the oil changed anywhere or do it yourself, but keep the receipts and I highly recommend keeping a maintenance log book as well. Let the dealer do the other maintenance checks at the right intervals to keep your warranty intact.
    In case anyone cares, I heard the 2001 Elantras are coming out in October.

JEFF