Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Elantra 2001-2006

Comments

• floridianfloridian Member Posts: 219
    jlim1:I don't have a Elantra but just had to get the fromt bumper on a SC1 Saturn fixed. A nice old lady backed into me with her Lincoln Navagator which had a trailer hitch. The ball punched the nicest 3" hole in the bumper you ever saw. Insurance would not replace, only repair. They did a really good job, barely detectable but with repair, paint and a little metal work to the hood it still came to $800. I doubt if you will get a new bumper. They can do wonders with some of this hi-tec plastic stuff. Getting a GOOD paint match will probably be more of a challange tho.

Floridian
  • groviggrovig Member Posts: 6
    You asked about switching out the stereo tape deck for a better one. Try Crutchfield at www.crutchfield.com, or 1-888-955-6000. I replaced the deck on a 2000 Elantra through them.
    They can send you a custom harness that will work with whichever unit you select (from their list of the ones that fit) I checked the website for 2001 Elantras, and unfortunately they only have info on 2001 Tiburons and Sonatas listed at this point. The site says to email them or call them for info on models not listed. I found them very professional and knowledgeable.

Good luck.
  • pewtermanpewterman Member Posts: 17
    Good evening, all.

After reading some recent postings about lousy dealers, I thought I might pass along some info on a good experience I had. If anyone in northwest New Jersey is considering a Hyundai purchase, I would like to recommend Towne Hyundai, in Denville. My salesman, Ed Bosques, gave me good service and SEVERAL followup calls to see how I liked the car.

I just had my 3k service and the Asst. Service Manager, John Ronnholm, couldn't have been nicer. He also gave me a followup call to see how the service turned out. I had one small defect on the car: a distorted driver's mirror. No questions! The part was ordered and arrived in just 2 days! I've even had good reports on their mechanics from other people.

This is a surprisingly pleasant change from my previous experiences with other car makers (particularly the corporate end of the experiences). After I purchased their cars, they didn't want to know I existed. I have friends who've purchased Mercedes' who haven't received this much attention (and my Elantra is QUIETER than some of those Mercedes!)!

I REALLY like this car and I think my purchase has put me in the company of some very intelligent people! I even picked up some extra brochures at the dealership and have been handing them out to my neighbors. Is that going overboard?
  • jyk1981jyk1981 Member Posts: 37
    Hi.

I bought Hyundai 2000 Elantra for $16,000 Last year.
    In FL, the base model price is $13,000(because of shipping fee...). But, they said they can give me a fully equipped 2000 Elantra for $14,000 (which is nice deal.) However, in the financing room, they put "Price Match" for $1000 and "Credit Checking Fee" for $1000. It was my first time buying the car so, I paid them all... But, later on I found out it was rip off..

However, I was not satisfied with my 2000 Elantra so I decided to change it with 2001 Elantra.
    They said they can give me $5,000 for my car, which is fully equipped and its in best condition.

So, I went to other dealer "World Hyundai", They gave me $11,000 for my car and $14,000 for new 2001 Elantra with package #4. Because I had been ripped off I lost lots of money during this trade, but I'm happy with my new 2001 Elantra.
  • reganonareganona Member Posts: 9
    I bought my Elantra on Friday night from Covington Pike Hyundai. I spoke with Rick Nehring, he was the only nice salesman we could find in Memphis. He quoted invoice+200(profit)+tax&doc.fee(199.50) minus the $500 mfg rebate. He tried to pull some advertisement fees of about $400 but we said no and tried to leave. He came back with it completely removed. We were very happy with our experience. This guy is the internet sales guy so you can email him beforehand. Just let him know that you heard of someone that had a good experience with him so he'll feel compelled to give you the same courtesies. By the way, I love my car! :)
  • cyanogelcyanogel Member Posts: 11
    Hi, guys!
    I am new to this board. Does anyone happen to know a reputable dealer in centra west NJ?
    I have read about Towne Hyundai but that is a little bit far away. BTW, I live in Princeton.
    Many thanks.
  • tnjackietnjackie Member Posts: 19
    Thanks for the response. What options did you get on the car, manual or auto transmission, package with sunroof? I would like to speak with you and see if you have had any of the problems mentioned like fuel door problem, or wiring harness problems. How many miles do you have on the car or what date did you get it. My e-mail is TnJackie@aol.com if you don't mind sending me a message with your phone number, or I will give you mine if you let me know your e-mail address. Thanks again.
  • havasupai2000havasupai2000 Member Posts: 1
    AVOID HYUNDAI- FREEHOLD...FINANCING RIP-OFF. CAR I TRADED IN ENDED UP BEING ONE THIRD OF WHAT I WAS TOLD I COULD GET. DEALER USED OLD SPOT DELIVERY AND IT TOOK 10 DAYS TO GET THE FINAL FINANCING DONE AFTER HAVING CAR FOR 10 DAYS. I THREATENED TO RETURN THE CAR AND RETRIEVE MY TRADE IN. WHEN IS ASKED THE F&I MANAGER WHEY THEY WERE ONLY LISTING A FRACTION OF MY TRADE-IN AMOUNT AS A DOWNPAYMENT I WAS TOLD IT WOULD HELP MY FINANCING. I KNEW I HAD A WEEK TO RETURN THE VEHICLE AND PLANNED TO DO SO IF THEY DID NOT COME THROUGH. A PHONE CALL A A FEW DAYS AGO FROM THE SALESMAN WHO WAS REALLY WORRIED THAT I WOULD NOT GIVE A GLOWING REPORT TO HYUNDAI IN CALIFORNIA...TOO BAD HYUNDAI IN CA.CALLED ME LAST WEEK AND I MANAGED TO GIVE THEM A AN EARFUL OF MY BAD EXPERIENCE... I LOVE MY ELANTRA 2001 HOWEVER I WILL NOT GO BACK TO THAT DEALER FOR SERVICING. INSTEAD OF BEING ALLOWED TO REJOICE IN MY NEW CAR I WAS LEFT ON TENTERHOOKS FOR ALMOST 10 DAYS WHILE FINAL FINANCING WAS SORTED OUT. I MUST ADD THAT ALTHOUGH I AGREED TO THE SPOT-DELIVERY, HYUNDAI SAID IT WAS HOW THEY DID 90% OF THEIR BUSINESS... I INFORMED THE FINANCE MGRAND SALESMAN THAT IN THE EVENT I WOULD GET A FOLLOWUP PHONE CALL A WEEK OR TWO LATER SAYING THEY COULD NOT GET THE FINANCING THEY HOPED FOR AND THAT THEY HAD OTHER CHOICES BUT THE PAYMENTS/FINANCING RATE WOULD BE HIGHER THEN THEY COULD FORGET IT I WOULD TAKE MY BUSINESS ELSEWHERE. I HAD THEM WRITE THIS DOWN ON THE CONTRACT OF SALE.

ANYONE THINKING ABOUT BUYING AND POSSIBLY TRADING IN A VEHICLE SHOULD READ PIQUE LYLE'S "HOW TO BUY OR LEASE A CAR WITHOUT GETTING RIPPED OFF."

DESPITE BEING WELL INFORMED BEFORE I WENT INTO THE DEALER...THE EXPERIENCE I HAD BUYING THE CAR WAS A STRESSFUL EXPERIENCE AND ONCE I AM NOT LIKELY TO FORGET.

ONE LAST NOTE... I, LIKE A FEW OTHER 2001 ELANTRA DRIVERS HAVE NOTICED A DISTINCT DISTORTION IN THE DRIVER SIDE MIRROR WHICH I INTEND TO HAVE HYUNDAI FIX. OTHERWISE THE CAR IS GREAT, THE VALUE IS GREAT AND THE SAFETY RECORDS ARE NOW COMING IN AND THEY ARE LOOKING GOOD COMPARED TO SIMILAR AND MORE EXPENSIVE VEHICLES.
  • karmmakarmma Member Posts: 1
    I bought a new 2001 Elantra from Herb Connolly in Framingham, Mass. He is also a Chevrolet and Acura dealer. About 18 months ago we bought a 1999 (new) Chev. Venture van, and were thrilled with entire process - from the salesman through delivery of the vehicle, and the service afterwards. We have had the Venture in for warrantee service (air bag sensor) and regular service and have found their department to be honest and helpful.

When I decided to by an Elantra, we went back to Herb Connolly. It was a no-brainer.

The salesman I dealt with this time was not as laid-back as the Chevy salesman we dealt with, but he was friendly and eager - and didn't flinch when I said 'just give me your best price on that car and i'll make my decision from there.' He proceeded to do just that - gave me a price about $200 less than i expected - and sold a car.

BTW, I got the 2001 Elantra in cranberry with Package 4, moon roof deflector, etc, for 14k.
  • interlukinterluk Member Posts: 17
    Grovid; Thank you for the stereo information.

jyk1981; looks like they you coming. Charging 1K for a "'credit check" is not only insulting but enough to have one return with an Uzi. A pointed letter and a direct demand for the return of the money would have been a good start.

Oh well, we all learn in retrospection.

Good luck with your new car.
  • pewtermanpewterman Member Posts: 17
    Sorry to hear the dealers down "south" aren't as friendly as the dealers up "north", Sue, but then, if you go a little further east they give you "pseudo-New York attitude"-and that's worse!!

I don't know how convenient it is to you, but I believe there is a Hyundai dealer in North Planfield, called Global(Global Auto Mall?), who contacted me after a net request. Perhaps you could check them out.

As for your mirror, I was told by my service dept. that the glass is on a panel which pops out of a ball-joint socket, so it should be fairly simple. They got my glass in just 2 days, but due to the weather [forecast] I haven't made appt. for repair as yet. I'll let you, and any others interested, know what happens. I think these were "Monday" or "Friday" mirrors.
  • sdj3sdj3 Member Posts: 2
    To cyanogel:
    Try Brad Benson Hyundai on Route 1 in South Brunswick/Monmouth Junction. I just purchased my new Elantra from there a few weeks ago and had a good experience.
    Good Luck
  • elantra00elantra00 Member Posts: 225
    As sdj3 said, Brad Benson Hyundai down on route one in monmouth junction is a good dealership to go to. Excellent buying experience for me. They are somewhat pushy in the begining, as all dealerships are, but if you show them you mean business and stick to your guns, you can knock em down and haggle the price way down. i got my 2000 Elantra back in april 2000 for 10,800. However, i dont know how good their service is. I get my service done at Towne Hyundai on Route 10. Excellent service their but probably a bit far for you down in Princeton. A earlier post told about Freehold Hyundai, which may be close to you, is bad. So I wouldnt go there. Good luck in the buying process
  • tnjackietnjackie Member Posts: 19
    Would anyone like to share the prices they paid with what equipment and package they purchased? It would be very interesting to know the range of prices from dealership to dealership. If this is too personal, ignore this message. Thanks
    Thanks a lot guys!
    BTW, does sdj3 know anything about the
    service at Brad Benson?
    jyk1981: I have been trying to deal with BD Hyundai via internet purchase. While they did quote a good price for a 2001 Accent HB they also wanted to tack-on a $399.00 "processing/dealer fee" which ate up most of the rebate. Since I was shopping the car for my niece, she has limited funds, she said, "no way" to the $399.00 !! Did they add that fee onto your deal as well? I can't believe that they would actually have the guts to tack on those fees for a total of $2000 !! They should be ashamed ! I guess I am very lucky that I did not get involved with them. I definately will be talking to World Hyundai for their price. Do you have the name of the sales rep you dealt with there? I would like to talk to him/her .

Floridian. thanks in advance
    jyk1981: You didn't say which BD dealership you dealt with. They have one in Orlando AND Longwood.

Floridian
  • chameleon3chameleon3 Member Posts: 7
    Well, had the fuel door inspected by the dealer. Wonder of wonders, it was in the 40's and the door opened on the first pull (of course)!

Guess what --- they sprayed it with WD40 just like I stated. Problem has not been fixed. Cold mornings, fuel door still does not open regardless of how hard you pull the release.

We had rain several days ago and when I opened the fuel door, I found a large puddle of water directly underneath the gas cap --- wonderful!

So, I'm going to get creative and place rubber weatherstripping around the fuel door to keep out the cold and, more importantly, water!

One way or another, I'll solve the problem. If anyone else has any better or different ideas, PLEASE let me know. Seems like Nebraska and Canada don't have the same problem with cold temperatures and fuel door sticking --- guess I just got lucky!
  • tonykrapiltonykrapil Member Posts: 211
    I know this will work on the fuel door problem, but is it practical??? C'mon down to Florida.

All kidding aside, how about adding more tension to the spring that nudges it open?

Weather stripping may work BUT I have seen several folks that keep either rags or things of that sort in the spare tire area and come to find that they collect and hold moisture to the point to prematurely rusting the area out.

Sooooo maybe you could also NOT close the fule door completely during the winter or somehow make a makeshift grip to pull on it to help it open.

be glad the problem is not a super duper major one, it seems more of an inconvenience.

Good luck,

Tony

PS, I'll trade ya love bugs clogging the ac coil
    TNjackie, this post is for you! We bought at Covington Pike Hyundai/Mazda. Well guys, we thought we got this good deal on the car we bought Fri. pm. It turns out that we figured the tax wrong. We thought the tax on the car would be the same as TN state sales tax (8.25%) but it wasn't, it was 6%statesales tax and .2%business tax and then a flat tax of $36 added to that. We just knew the guys were way too happy to be selling the car for the price we gave, $14, 950(2001 Black Elantra, auto, sunroof, wind deflector, cd player, keyless entry/alarm, cargo net, carpet floor mats). So, I guess we live and learn but I hope you guys don't make the same mistake that we did!
  • chameleon3chameleon3 Member Posts: 7
    The fuel door isn't a major problem, only an inconvenience. I thought about the potential for rust but think I'll try a very narrow piece of rubber weatherstripping that is ribbed, anyway. We do have rust protection for 5 years and this would qualify as rust from the inside (of the fuel door) outward. Heck, I didn't cause the problem. Water should NOT collect on the inside or, if it does, a drain should be placed in the compartment or maybe the tolerances should be improved.

Regardless, I DO enjoy my Hyundai and WILL solve this problem --- Trust me, I'm quite resourceful!:)
    Does anyone have the contact info for the CEO of hyundai? I know that someone mentioned writing him/her a letter in an earlier post. I would appreciate the information. :)
  • sdj3sdj3 Member Posts: 2
    To cyanogel. I just purchased the car a couple of weeks ago, so I have not used Brad Benson service. I live in Somerset County, so I'll probably use Global Hyundai in North Plainfield
  • elantra00elantra00 Member Posts: 225
    I wouldn't use Global Hyundai in North Plainfield. My father had a very bad experience with Global Hyundai a few years back. He was purchasing a Jeep Cherokee. He negotiated the deal and left a deposit that day. However, when he got home, he changed his mind about it...he wanted a different color. So he told the guy he wanted green instead of black. The guy said he had no more green ones and couldn't get one in (I dont know why he couldnt get one in...go figure). So my father asked for his deposit back. They argued and refused and tried to persuade him to make a purchase with them. After a long and brutalizing argument, dad had to threaten the police on them and they finally returned his deposit.

That is their sales department. However, I do not know about their service. But if their service is like their sales, watch out! Ask around to others to see how their service is.

Also, don't go down to Maxxon Hyundai down the road on route 22. They suck too ;) But depending where you live, you may be stuck. Im near the Morristown area, so Denville isnt a bad drive and they have great service!
  • mukwonagomukwonago Member Posts: 1
    Noted in the cons' about the funky smell' in the interior. Confirmed this at the recent auto show in Milwaukee. If someone has this problem, how do you deal with it and eliminate the foul odor? Folks I know have respiratory problems and I think they would have problems. Am concidering the purchase of an Elantra shortly. Seems I missed the $500 rebate. If anyone can recommend a dealership in Milwaukee that would be great.
    Thanks for any help!
  • ken126ken126 Member Posts: 39
    The rebate is still on
  • interlukinterluk Member Posts: 17
    Hi,

CEO is:

Finbarr J. O'Neill
    President and CEO Hyundai Motor America
    10550 Talbert Avenue
    PO Box 20850
    Fountain Valley, CA
    92728-0850
  • jsapiejsapie Member Posts: 28
    The only smell I had was due to the exhaust on delivery and it only lasted for a few miles. The inside smells like a new car.
  • dolphin24dolphin24 Member Posts: 6
    I bought my Elantra at the end of October and missed the beginning of the rebate period by a week. I paid $14,828 for my package 2, automatic with mud flaps and floor mats, color ocean blue. I had an after factory sunroof installed for $1000 which has a lifetime warranty on it. I bought my car from Fitzgarold Auto mall in Gaithersburg, MD. I actually got $230 off because the car was miss priced on their web site and then I got a coupon from them via e-mail.
    I had the new car smell about a month and then it was gone. I haven't used the AC yet so I expect the smell to come back when I start to use it. I found that changing the oil in my car was really easy. If you can do it yourself you should. It was Much easier than my old Nissan Stanza.
    I test drove two elantras. The first one had that "funky" smell, it smelled like a weird rubber. The second one, which I bought, had no funky smell. It just smelled like a new car. Thank you interluk for the contact information. The dealer figured out my car had a faulty rpm sensor, that is why my engine kept coming on.
  • astrolastrol Member Posts: 312
    The funky smell is not, as some reviewers have stated, stinky Korean plastic. Koreans have no secret recipe for making smelly plastic. Every time I read or hear that from some 'knowledgeable' carhead, I want to laugh out loud. These people almost always seem to live and work in the Detroit area. Hmmmm.

It is rather the protective spray applied to the car undersides before shipping. Many of these vehicles sit in portside lots both here and in Korea for awhile. They are also subjected to the salt air environment during transfer. Korean auto makers use the spraying to protect certain exhaust and emissions components, as well as other things. Because the cars are kept closed up for such a long time and each vehicle may be driven varying distances before being sold, the coating does not uniformly wear off. But rest assured, daily use of your new car will quickly burn it off leaving nothing but new car smell.
    I called Crutchfield Stereo (888-955-6000) to see what they could offer for a CD player installation on my daughter's 2001 Elantra, package 2, which came with FM/cassette.
    I ordered a Pioneer DH1300, 20W per channel, for $166.65, shipping and adaptor harness included. This is a no-cutting, snap in arrangement. A detachable face plate was $20 more, or for $50 more you can get model DH3300, which is adaptable for satellite reception (some future capability I had never heard of) plus a plug-in for CD stacker. The complete shipping/tax price for the model 3300 w/6 CD stacker was $406.95. The speakers that came with the car are supposed to be 6x9s in back and 6 3/4 in front, and are only rated at 3-5 watts. I decided I did not want to replace all the speakers right off, so thought the 20W/channel player would be more than powerful enough.

By the way, they still do not have all the Elantra info on their website yet, and neither do they have an instruction sheet to tell you exactly how to install the player. I got their instrux for another vehicle last year, and they are very exact and complete. Gotta wing it this time.

Hope that is useful to someone

p.s. Hey Mukwonago, former East Troy says hello!.
  • dwangyahoodwangyahoo Member Posts: 12
    which year do you have? I have a '90 and it wasn't too hard to change the oil if I turn the wheel all the way left and reach from the wheel well to the filter. I'm considering an Elantra. How do you get to the filter on the Elantra?
  • jsapiejsapie Member Posts: 28
    Received a wiring harness and faceplate from Crutchfield today for a Kenwood cd player I plan to install. The part number for the harness (7.00)is 120707301 and the faceplate (10.00)is 120997308. S&H was $4.95 2nd day air.

MPG:
    Well after 3500 miles in both city and some highway I am getting 24 MPG. Not bad for a car with a 140 hp engine. This engine is so quiet that you need to rev the engine at a light to see if it is still running.

Oil & Filter change at 2900 mile was easy. The filter has a plastic cover below it and it is easy to remove with 2 bolts. The AC Delco ( for those who like AC filters ) is a PF 1127, around $2.50 at Wal-mart. Use a small strap wrench to remove it.
    I use Valvoline oil. This time I put in 5w-30 since it is still cold here in Pittsburgh. The owners manual does not state a certain weight which I thought was strange.
    Soon the newest oil that will be out will be a
    5w-20.
    I guess the lighter the better today.

Enjoy your Elantra!
  • browneybrowney Member Posts: 104
    Hey Y'all I'm new to this forum. I have been getting ready to buy a 2001 Elantra for about a month now. The lease on my Chevy S10 pickup runs out in april.
    Have read all the messages on this board and everything I could find on the web.
    My only concern is if Hyundai has fixed the brake problem they seemed to have in earlier years.
    If you don't already know there has been a recall for the side airbags on some of the 2001 Elantra's.
    I have tried getting price quotes from the various online sources (carpoint,autobytel,ubid,etc.)
    The best I have seen so far is from carsdirect.com.
    They are showing $12,748 for the automatic with no other options. This includes everything but taxes, tag, and title. This is with the $500 rebate included.
    I was hoping to pay less but can't find anyone in Georgia to beat this price.
    Has anyone had any dealings with carsdirect.com?
  • johhujohhu Member Posts: 17
    Dear all:
    Do I have to remove my original receiver and cassette player to add a new CD player?I want to keep the original and I think it would be a tough job to install new speakers.
  • johhujohhu Member Posts: 17
    My 2000 elentra millage is 5K already and has been held on pretty well this crazy winter.
    I wish the acceleration was better and one thing interesting is that this baby accelerates faster and quieter with AC on.The color is 'windrose',what a beautiful name!
    One question:What is 'overdrive'?I still don't get it.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    Sorry to ask this question here in the Elantra forum but I'm desperate to find info regarding the 90-92 Stanza. I recently bought a 91 Stanza XE with the manual tranny and am having difficulty finding any info on it. Just trying to hear some owner experiences about the car. Have you had any problems with it? How many miles is on your 90? Would appreciate any owner experiences you would like to share with me. Currently I am having trouble with oil consumption and a periodic loud tapping from one of the hydraulic lifters. I have 135,000 miles on mine. It seems to be a good car and has a powerful engine, but I'm still glad I have my 2000 Accent to rely on!
  • kevperro1kevperro1 Member Posts: 22
    I just installed new door speakers. Not hard if you can find all the screws. Getting the door panel back on takes a little patience but it is not a hard job. Hyundai did a good job with the electrical/noise proofing. The rear speakers are another matter. You have to remove the rear seats to get the rear deck off. I couldn't get to the bottom bolts/latch on because of the carpet. Couldn't find a way to get the carpet up without removing the seat!!! ARGGG! I finally resorted to taking it to the shop and let them install both my head-unit and rear speakers. I'm building a sub-woofer that goes in the wheel well of the trunk. Fibreglass/MDF and one 12" driver. I have to modify the floor of the trunk a little (I'm raising it about 1-2") and mount the amplifier somewhere back there. I'm letting the shop run the wire for the amp install to keep my frustration level down. Overall I'm very impressed with the quality of materials that Hyundai has used. No short-cuts on materials. I am approaching the 6,000 mile mark and I have the same problem with the fuel door that everyone has. Sometimes the rpms stick a little which I think is that sensor and my vehicle pulls slightly to the left. Needs an alignment adjustment. I have a squeal at startup sometimes. Only happens in the morning. I'm taking it in to have that taken care of along with the alignment. The dealer has been a pleasure to work with.
  • ral2167ral2167 Member Posts: 791
    someone asked a few posts ago what "overdrive" is

as i understand it-- a 4 speed automatic is better than a 3 speed automatic cause that 4th gear is "overdrive".... if you check the tachometer, if you're doing 55 mph in 3rd gear, the engine is reving higher than it would in 4th gear at 55 mph. so there's less wear and tear on the engine at highway speeds, plus there's less engine noise, using Overdrive.

you're screwy if you buy a 3 speed automatic. am i nuts?
  • L8_ApexL8_Apex Member Posts: 187
    ...overdrive is when the final drive ratio is lower than 1.00:1. Practically, it's what ral2167 said it was with one additional, important benefit: fuel mileage.
  • midnightgraymidnightgray Member Posts: 2
    browney: I just received my '01 Elantra (auto, package 4, midnight gray) yesterday. Overall it was a pleasant experience, but not flawless.

Cons:

1)Took two weeks from when I submitted the order (mostly because I was not flexible on color or options) to get my car.

2)I had to initiate most contact with my advisor to get updates on the progress of the transaction, rather than vice-versa.

3)The only car they could find was 300 miles away, so I had the option of paying $200 to flat-bed it to a closer dealer or have them drive it (hence, getting the car with 300 miles on it).

Now for the good part, the pros!

1)I got exactly the car I wanted, and I didn't ever have to leave work!

2)The car arrived in tip-top condition, even after opting to get it with 300 miles on it.

3)They delivered the car to my work!

4)You actually get the car from a dealer, so they were very knowledgeable about the car itself, and yet didn't try to stick me with any extras. The price you agree to on Carsdirect's website is the price you pay.

5)The customer service rep responded immediately to any email or phone questions I had.

Overall I would definitely do it again, and I think if you are not so picky about color or options, you would get the car extremely fast. Otherwise, you just have to be patient and they will find you the right one.

ps- my new elantra smells just like a new lexus
  • tonykrapiltonykrapil Member Posts: 211
    Hello,

I bought some online car insurance that was advertised here at Edmunds, it WAS called e-coverage. Their web site doesnt work anymore, their lines are constant busy, Edmunds doesnt list their ads no more!!!

Can ya believe it?????????

I have had no luck getting any answers as to wherher I am or am not insured now! I was only trying to add my teenager to the policy today and found this all out. Good thing my son is taking it rather well.

The ONLY reason I swutched to the e-coverage company was to help him get a better rate for his own insurance, and now this!

Any ideas?

Tony
  • moses9moses9 Member Posts: 1
    To reganona who thought she got a bad deal because
    of tax rate. You were way below invoice and had
    almost all the dealer holdback when you made the
    purchase. A great deal!!! Ask anyone. Then you
    figured out that you might have left less than
    $100. on the table because YOU made a mistake when
    YOU made the counter offer. Shame, shame, shame.
    ON YOU... Too smart for your own good. It cost you
    the best negotiated deal I've seen in 3 years. I'm
    glad we allowed you to bring the vehicle back,
    because you don't deserve a fantastic deal like
    the one you had. I didn't make a dime for my time
    with you but I am smarter for the experience.
    Rick Nehring Covington Pike Hyundai
    To all who are concerned, moses9 WAS my internet salesman at Covington Pike Hyundai Memphis, TN. He was too ashamed of himself today to even look at me when I walked into the dealership today to return my car. The car was a "lemon". The engine check light kept coming on for a reason, something was wrong with the ECM in the car. It could have been fixed, but I was so frustrated with everyone and everything about the car that I opted to return the car after the dealership offered, which I thought was nice. As far as you are concerned, Rick Nehring, you have probably just cost yourself sales for posting such an assinine comment on this board. I know my experience has cost you one customer already. To future consumers, is this how you want your salesperson to treat you? I feel I do deserve such a great car, at a better deal, which I found today. So, I will not be checking/posting to this board anymore as I have found a car that I truely am pleased with from a wonderful local dealer. Elantras are great cars! I hope everyone who is planning on buying one, does so and enjoys it. I know I am. But, my advice on having a better car buying experience is not to buy from Covington Pike Hyundai, Memphis, TN.
    Glad you finally got a car you like. Just hope you can still visit this board and share your joy with us.

To moses9
    Before reading reganona's post, I thought you had a point although I believe you overreacted. I told myself "gee these salesmen must have been spoiled they want everyone to baby them."
    Guess what? You didn't even bother to mention that car was a lemon, which your dealership concured. I am quite surprised that you would post an untrue report knowing someone is going to confront it.Can't you realize what you did here is nothing but ruining your dealer's reputation?
    If your dealer is wise (he should be), your days there are numbered.
    To Johhu, who asked in #684 if it was necessary to remove the old radio receiver to install a CD Player. Not sure if you are pulling someone's leg here, but the answer is yes, unless you are really ready for a major project and want to give up your glove compartment or something. It is a bit of a hassle to take out the old receiver, but it is do-able, and you don't need to solder wiring or anything. Make sure you read all the instructions first,as it could be embarrassing if you shorted out the dashboard wiring and voided your warranty. The Crutchfield harness makes it pretty easy to hook up with crimped connectors. The only problem can be actually hanging your new CD player. You have to putz with brackets and bolts sometimes. As far as replacing speakers goes, I would have said that it pretty easy (my own experience) until I read #687. If you are worried about it, places like Circuit City and Best Buy periodically offer free installation, and when one does, the other matches them. I think they have a minimum $200 order to qualify, but it is pretty easy to spend that much. They may rip you off for harnesses and things, also. It is an option, anyway.

Tonight I attached the receiver harness to the mounting harness of the Crutchfield unit I just received, and by tomorrow night I should be able to tell you how hard it is to install the Pioneer CD player in a 2001 Elantra, and whether I blew up the original speakers with my new 45Watt peak amplifier. If I don't log on tomorrow, you can assume the worst.
  • kevperro1kevperro1 Member Posts: 22
    The tough part is getting the facia on the dash apart. I couldn't get it over the steering wheel. Ended up taking it to the local shop. I figure it is worth $50 for me to avoid the frustration and possibly break something that cost much more than the $50. Here is a web site that shows the parts break-down. Great of Hyundai to make this stuff available.

http://www.hmaservice.com/

In response to the sour deal/lemon car. I would be careful making judgements about people on this forum. For some reason all car shoppers have this parinoia about getting the best deal. I have seen people fight over $50 and get up and leave. Come on folks, the dealer has to make money too. Don't those people deserve something for their efforts? Do you work for free? I know that most car dealers who are snake oil salesmen deserve some contempt but these days consumers pretty much know what the car cost the dealer. Make a reasonable deal where they make a few dollars and you get a good deal. Shoot for the Edmunds TMV (I bought my car for $70 over TMV) and you can just relax over haggling the extra $100.00

• jcaccjcacc Member Posts: 10
    I got my 01 Elantra a month ago from Ron Marhofer Hyundai in Akron. I got package 4, automatic, with mud guards, mats,and moonroof spoiler for $14,400 AND they gave me a $100 BP gas card as a thank you. The atmosphere was totally non-pressure, the salesman was knowledgeable, and we were treated with extreme courtesy. The salesperson has called me twice to make sure that everything is fine (and it is--WONDERFUL car)
    I am the guy who was going to tell you how easy/hard it was to install my daughter's aftermarket CD player. Believe it or not, she came home last night and told me the instrument lights would not come on. I checked this morning, and yup, they aren't working. Checked fuses, but could not find a problem. I don't dare install the CD receiver before I take the Elantra into the dealer, as they will think I screwed something up. Since they don't work Saturdays in this area, will give myself a rain check on reporting my progress.

#696, I was hoping that I would just have to pop the fascia around the radio off. That was easy to do on my 2000 model. You are scaring me. I am thinking of trying to get the Hyundai people to put the player in when I take it in for the dash lights. Discretion is the better part of valor, I am told.