Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Elantra 2001-2006

Comments

• bsevernbsevern Member Posts: 6
    What kind and size of speakers did you install in the doors?

I saw that somebody here mentioned that the 2001 Elantra used 6.5" speakers in the door, but Infinity's website shows one apart, and say's it uses 5.25" seakers in the doors.

I just ordered Infinity Kappa 5.25" for the doors and Infinity Kappa 6X9's for the rear. I also ordered an Orion Extreme 500.4 four channel amp.

I'm looking at the Kenwood KDC-MP8017 MP3 CD Car Receiver that just came out.

I think this should sound pretty good, and if it needs a little extra bass I may add in the Infinity Basslink 10" 200W powered sub.

So far I have 900 miles on my 2001 Midnight Grey Elantra, and I'm enjoying it.
  • browneybrowney Member Posts: 104
    Midnightgray. Thank you for your response.
    I actually got it after the fact. I stopped off at a dealer(Rick Case Hyundai-Duluth,GA) today so I could test drive an Elantra before I made my final decision to buy from Carsdirect.com.
    They of course did not want to see me leave and buy from the internet so they matched the price I showed them that I printed out from carsdirect.
    I got the Champagne, auto with option 3 and mats for $13,422. Out the door with all fees including taxes,title, & tag was $14403.66 because I added $295 for GAP insurance when I made it to the finance guy.
    Overall the experience was OK except it took 5 hours because the place was packed with people buying the Sonata and XG.
    It does have a bad smell after driving, it smells like a plastic bag stuck on the exhaust and burning. The inside however just smells like a normal new car.
    My first impression is that it is an excellent buy.
    I'll keep y'all posted on how it stands the test of time.
  • ohiogoodguysohiogoodguys Member Posts: 19
    Glad that you liked Ron Marhoffer. I live in the area too and thought that they were all friendly and professional. This is how every dealership should be. BTW They do not work on comission so that is part of the reason that they are easy going. I know who bought a 2000 Elantra there and was very happy.

Thanks
    Jack

Driving a 2000 Honda CR-V (Sunnyside Honda is great)

and Looking for a good used sonata or elantra under $7500.

Also Looking for a Hyundai Should Really Call Bob Cook. I have spoke with him and have him looking for a 2nd car for me. Very professional and Pleasant Person. I hope to do business with him
  • kevperro1kevperro1 Member Posts: 22
    The doors are 6.5" not 5.25". The older ones where 5.25" but I guess they changed them. I used my Aura MR 6.1s with only one problem. The power windows will not go down the last 1" because the drivers are too deep. My system currently consist of a Rockford HU, Aura fronts and Rockford 6X9s in the rear all being powered by the HU. I'm not happy with it yet. Plan on adding a sub and external amplification for all drivers. I also think a lot of improvement could be made by locating the tweaters somewhere besides lower in the door.
  • bobcook54bobcook54 Member Posts: 79
    Jack-Thanks for the kind words. It simply boils down to treating people the way you would want to be treated. Bob Cook
  • bsevernbsevern Member Posts: 6
    Thanks for the speaker info. Now I wonder if the 5.25" speakers will work, or if it would be better to go for 6.5" speakers (better bass for sure).

Do you know what a safe Mounting Depth is for the window to clear the magnet?

Thank you,
    Brian
  • jyk1981jyk1981 Member Posts: 37
    floridian: it was Bob Dance Orlando..
    But, My friend tried to buy Tiburon from Bob Dance Longwood.. The dealer said to my friend "you need to down pay around $10,000 in order to finance, because you're credit is not that good." and they charged him around $16,000 for a 2001 Tiburon.. which supposed to be around $15,000(with tax, options and everything...)
    But, my friend was not like me.. he did not buy Tiburon (even though he wants it so badly).
    Instead of Tiburon, he bought brand new 2000 Dawoo Leganza base model for $13,000.
  • floridianfloridian Member Posts: 219
    jyk1981: Your friend should have talked to Capt. Credit! You know what BD sez on their TV commercials, "where everybody rides". Are you sure his sales rep was not "Buster the Wonder Dog" ?

Not so sure your friend did himself a favor buying a Daewoo. He probably was upsidedown on resale the moment he drove it off the lot no matter how much he put down ! Why didn't he try World Hyundai like you did ?

Floridian
  • formula94formula94 Member Posts: 22
    # weeks later our '01 Elantra is out of the shop. I live in CT and my drivers and passenger side wiring harness (located under the fenders) were both corroded, we think due to poor drainage. Hyundai was quite involved in this and asked that all the harnesses be changed.(in that area) It all started when the door light didnt work, then my locks kept going on and off.

BTW: I purchased a '01 option 4 elantra with all the extras for 12,700.00. Mgr pulled the old statement that it was the best deal he has done in 2 years. I really wanted 12,500!!
  • tnjackietnjackie Member Posts: 19
    Does the Elantra use regular 87 octane gas or does it require a higher octane? I have heard the Mazda Protege needs 89 octane. Would one of the Elantra owners advise what the owners manual says please. Thanks.
  • sjslosjslo Member Posts: 16
    As a matter of course I use 89 just because...I don't remember reading any octane requirement in the owner's manual. Here in Jersey the price of 89 is not too bad. I would imagine running on 87 would be fine though...
  • pewtermanpewterman Member Posts: 17
    Does anyone know if occasionaly going from a lower to a higher octane and back again screws up the engine sensors to any degree. I normally use 87 octane but have on occasion found a station out of 87 and had to use 89.

BTW, if anyone out there has a distorted driver's side mirror, the replacement proceedure is quick and painless. I got the new mirror in just 2 days and the repair took only about 30 minutes.
    Just wondering how you made out with your car insurance problem. If you haven't gotten anywhere as yet,you might try contacting your state attorney general's office and/or state insurance fraud department. And remember, if your state representatives can get some positive free press, they'll be more than happy to help!!
  • darpin1darpin1 Member Posts: 49
    2001 ElantraNHSTA-See for yourself the reresults... Noeason to feel inferior to the competition...and don't forget to add that we have the top rated car compared to the competition in bumper tests as well.
  • baberbaber Member Posts: 96
    The engine in the Elantra has a knock sensor as part of the electronic engine computer controls. This is basically a microphone that can detect the engine knocking noise it makes when the octane of the gas is too low. The knock sensor tells the computer to adust the engine timing until the knock stops, so the engine runs at its best with any octane gas from 87 to 93. The nice thing about this sensor is the better the gas you put in your car the more power the engine will make since the knock sensor sets the timing to take advantage of the higher octane. This is one reason the 2 liter engine in the Elantra puts out good hp for its size.
  • tonykrapiltonykrapil Member Posts: 211
    The story ends well or okay anyways. The compant 'e-coverage' is a middle man so to speak and they are going out of business, it the under writer. A simple note would have prevented the problem I had. They are staying in business until the last customers policy runs out. I dont think you can start a new policy with them, however, there are others listed on Edmunds.com.

I saved about 400 bucks going to e-coverage...... now I had to look for new coverage and saved more with a local agent in town.

Good luck!

Tony
    I woudn't expect that level of sophistication from the engine. Hell, it's not even mentioned in the owner's manual...

Maybe I'll just fill with premium in jersey and 89 and in CT.
  • baberbaber Member Posts: 96
    My 99 Accent even has a knock sensor on it! In practice the increase in performance will not be very noticable with premium fuel over regular.
  • cathyj1cathyj1 Member Posts: 1
  • darpin1darpin1 Member Posts: 49
    they have done a preview of the 2001 Elantra.We know about the 5 door hatch coming in the spring/summer of this year.C&D says: "and wait until you see the three-door hatchback Elantra GT we'll get next year. To use a word not commonly associated with things Hyundai, it's hot."Things are sure happening at Hyundai...
  • doomshadowdoomshadow Member Posts: 1
    I know this has probably been mentioned before, but the paint on the Elantras is really, really bad. The worst part of it all is trying to get Hyundai to do anything about it. I have a 2000 and within six months the paint stared to peel off. When I took it to the dealer (Jim Click Hyundai in Tucson, AZ) I was told that I would have to wait until the Regional Hyundai rep was in town for him to look at it. Two months later he showed up and wanted to see my car at short notice so my wife took the car to the daeler and was given the complete runaround. She was told that the paint was peeling because we had gotten ACID on the car. At that time the rep offered to repaint only the spots that were peeling and warned her that the new paint would not match the original paint. When I was told this, I wanted to speak with the Hyundai rep personally and was told I would have to wait until he was back in town again. After a 3 month wait, he finally called and wanted me to drop everything and meet him in less than one hour. I could not make it due to other plans. The rep at that time asked what I expexted of Hyundai. i told him that I expexted a complete repaint of the car. After a very heated discussion, he finally agreed. We took the car in two weeks ago for the new paint job. When we went took look at the finished job, it looked worse than when it went in. There were several runs in the new paint as well as sveral spots where dirt had been trapped under the new paint before the new clear coat was applied. I was told by the body shop to take it as is or leave it. After another heated discussion, and talking to the new Hyundai rep, they are now attempting to remove the new defects in the paint. After this nine month ordeal, i am supposed to pick it up later today.

What I would like to know from this group is:
    Will a non factory paint job decrease the value of my car? and, If the paint job is still unsatisfactory, what should be my next corse of action?

It appears to me that the warantee offered by Hyundai is great IF you can ever get them to back it.
  • floridianfloridian Member Posts: 219
    doomshadow: I could have told you that the repaint job you would get from 90% of the body shops would NOT measure up to a factory job. Unless you have access to a absolute "state of the art" shop they will never duplicate the quality of a factory finish. Since they will not redo the job then I guess the only recourse is to go to small claims court and sue them for diminished value of you car. Determining what that amount should be will be the tricky part. You will have to get a estimator, probably from your insurance carrier, to testify as to how much the messy job detracts from your car's value. All- in-all I don't think it'll be worth your time to persue this to any great length. A quality paint job done RIGHT can run well over $1500. They are not gonna spend that kind of money to keep you happy.

I am surprised that you are having this problem. The high quality of the paint on all the Elantras that i've seen was one of the things that impressed me the most about the really great fit and finish on a car in this price range. I guess you just got a bad one, It happens. I was remarking to my wife just the other nite about how really rich and deep with NO orange peel the paint was on a deep maroon one parked at a eatery we were leaving, outstanding.

Floridian
  • interlukinterluk Member Posts: 17
    What a terrible experience this is for you. I hope you have documented all of your exchanges with the dealer. If not, before more time passes, write down everything you can remember...especially the run-around or bum's rush remarks by the regional sales or other dealer personnel.
    You bought a new car and with it the expectations that it perform to a certain standard. NO ONE would sit still for this kind of sham.

Write directly to the CEO Hyundai with all pertinent facts. His address is in one of my earlier
    mails. See what relief comes your way.

Most probably, you'll have to deal directly with the dealer once again. It's clear that you got a lemon of a paint job and you fully expect that it be refinished to its original integrity.

If they won't budge, I agree with floridian tat you must ascertain the lost value--or the cost of a professional paint job--but disagree with him/her that you absolutely must take them to small claims. For it is not only the paint job, but if you to try to sell the car later on, you may have to convince someone that the whole car wasn't a lemon.

Essentially, it isn't fair and they should not be able to get away treating you like this with a problem that is clearly a factory defect.

Please keep us posted.

Good luck

Mark
    Most unfortunate, but not uncommon. Here in the New York area, some folks who have problems with retailers or services contact ABC or CBS news' consumer reporters for help. Since Tucson is not a small town, perhaps the network affiliates have something comparable on your stations. The last thing a dealer wants is bad press.

By all means, contact the CEO of Hyundai first, but mention in your communications that you may have to seek relief in a more public forum if your situation cannot be corrected. Good luck!
    Do you have any pictures of the before and after?

I know I learned my lesson once as a kid and I will never forget it. I bouht a new car and there was a small scratch in the hood, possibly where someone had placed a notepad to write something down. I loved the car and gated this mark I always saw. Like a fool, I made them fix it. Well, like yur story, I regret having em try to fix. There was paint everywhere and mismatched and spray can quality.

Did you or do you have any prrof that you did wax the car? Remove and bird droppings etc? Here in Florida is we dont wash bugs off immediately after a road trip the paint is G O N E !!! and not covered under any warranty.

Like my father always said, 'education costs money'

Good luck,
    Tony
  • interlukinterluk Member Posts: 17
    Oh Yes,

The idea of contacting local news outlet is a very good one. And mentioning this to the dealer as well as the CEO may be equally efficacious.

I'm very interested to see how this unfolds.

Good luck,
    Mark
  • rosearosea Member Posts: 2
    can anyone tell me my the elantra has an odor? the smell is terrible - does it last or is there another way to take care of this - i really love
    the car and want to buy it but am hesitating because of this please advis
    Does anyone know where to find the date of manufacture on the Elantra.

On every other car I have looked at it is usually on the inside of the drivers door.

I have checked every door, the engine compartment, the glove box, the manuals, and in the trunk. No luck.

The following is the address to the NHTSA showing that there was a recall on 2000(1)? Elantras built between Aug & Sep 2000. I just want to make sure that I don't have one that needs this recall resolved.

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/recalls/mmy.cfm

As a side note I got 28.5 mpg in suburban driving on my first fill up with my 2001 Elantra.

I've only gone a little over 300 mi so far but have no real complaints about this car.

It does have a different new car smell inside than most new cars but it is not a bad smell and after about a week of driving it appears to be getting less obvious. (or I am getting used to it)

My wifes only complaint is that the keyless entry opens all door locks instead of just the driver.

• backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    I'm not surprised at this recall, because when I bought my Elantra at the end of October 2000 the dealer told me the air bag light came on during pre-delivery service and they would need to replace the side airbag wiring harness--not only on my car but on several Elantras on the lot. I reported this problem on this forum back then, but have not heard anyone else complain of the problem, so perhaps dealers have fixed it before selling the cars. Back in October it took the dealer 10 days to get the parts.

Re keyless entry opening all the locks: I actually love that feature, since I'm almost always opening more than the driver's door (e.g. kids climbing in, putting my briefcase in the back). It's great to just push one button and open any door.
  • dolphin24dolphin24 Member Posts: 6
    Sorry its taken me awhile to get back to you. My Nissan Stanza was a '90, the timing belt broke and destroyed the engine. If you look in the manual for the elantra it tells you how to change the oil. I found that removing the "plate" under the oil filter made the job easier. I had to put my car up on a jack to get to it. My Nissan was harder because the supension was lower and I couldn't reach the oil filter as well. I happen to be very short so little arms can't reach far. My Stanza had 97,000 or so miles on it. I had to replace the AAC valve and had the timing adjusted twice. Thats pretty much all I had to do it ran great until the end. Someone asked about the octane for the elantra, the manual says to use 87 or higher. I use 87 in mine.
    What if you want to get in your car alone while a BAD GUY is approaching from the passenger side of car??? Let him in too?

I dont have keyless entry BUT my key does the same thing, opens all the doors. If it is going to do this, it is unsafe. It should have a second twist of the key opens ALL doors, not the first.

Tony
  • reganonareganona Member Posts: 9
    How do you find when your car was made? (due to the recall) And, how do you find how much weight the car will hold? I'm just curious. TIA :)
  • majorthomechomajorthomecho Member Posts: 1,331
    I saw the post about how using the key unlocks all the doors to the Elantra. The poster was wishing that unlocking the passenger doors would require a second twist. This is how my Echo works. If I am using the key on the driver's door, one twist unlocks my door and a second twist unlocks the rest of the doors. If I unlock the passenger door with the key, it unlocks all four doors. A twist in the opposite direction locks all the doors no matter which side I am on.

Regarding the smell about the Elantra when new, I went to the auto show and I sat in every offering from Kia and Hyundai. They all had that smell to some degree. The more expensive the car, the less the smell, but it was still there. It is not a bad smell compared to the Kia, but compared to my Echo's smell when I first got it, the thing smelled horrendous. You should have seen the looks on some of the people's faces when they got into any Hyundai or Kia. One father was trying to talk her into an Elantra instead of a Civic and her response after sitting in the Elantra was, "But, Daddy, it smells."

Regarding weight capacity. Consumer Reports did a comparison between the Elantra, the Civic, the Corolla, and the Cavalier. I do not have the article with me, but I am sure you can find information about the weight capacity in the article.

Finally, about paint jobs. What do you think about using touch up paint on nicks and scratches? Should a person put up with the nicks and scratches or try to touch up the paint themselves?
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    You can find the date of manufacture on the '01 Elantra on a black engraved plate that is on the driver's door, low on the inside (so you have to stoop to see it).

Re what do I do if a "bad guy" is approaching my car when I am about to use the remote to open the doors? If the Elantra's remote had a panic alarm button on it (which it does not), I would use that. If I were already close to the car, I might try sticking the key in the lock and turning it, triggering the alarm. I would NOT try to get in the car, as it will not offer me much protection. It doesn't take much to smash a window and reach inside the car door to open it. What I would probably do is shout for help and run like the blazes, in the other direction. Unless of course the "bad guy" is pointing a gun at me, in which case I would do whatever he wants. Or maybe push the remote button to open the doors, and hope he takes the car! So all in all I still like the way my remote opens all the doors. If you have a problem in your neighborhood with "bad guys" sneaking up you, you've got a bigger problem than a remote that opens all the doors. Maybe you need one of those armored BMWs or Mercedes with bulletproof glass etc. I'll bet their remotes work the way you'd like them to also.
    Backy,

it was just an example! Chill! Why would I like the BMW's system better??

I am not saying you are wrong or anything in your liking of all door locks unlocking, I was just pointing out a scenario where it might not be the best thought out plan.

I already have a Sonata and Elantra, dont need any other cars.

btw, we were talking about the lock mechanism not what you would do in such a situation.
  • ral2167ral2167 Member Posts: 791
    what if you and your honey are being chased by one bad guy?... the remote keyless entry that unlocks all doors at once would be advantageous-- all the doors unlock with one press of the keyless button so you and your honey can enter and then keep the bad guy out... with my solara, i have to press the keyless entry button twice within the span of a few seconds for both doors to unlock.... if i just press once, i would be able to get in on the driver side, but the honey would be locked outside with the bad guy... i'd drive off while the honey and the bad guy meet and then who knows what happens from there? -- i'd probably read about it the next day in the paper.... bobby goldsboro might sing a song about Honey a few months later...
  • jcaccjcacc Member Posts: 10
    I like the fact that keyless entry opens all the doors. It's one of the reasons I got it. What a blessing for getting the dogs into the back seat after a walk! And don't forget that when you lock your driver's side door from the inside, all the locks engage automatically, so it's a trade-off.

In terms of safety, if your car is locked and a bad guy is approaching, don't unlock it using keyless--put your key in the lock and set off the alarm.
  • elantra00elantra00 Member Posts: 225
    This is getting out of hand.... Who cares! Getting chased by "bad guys"?! Give me a break. I had an after market keyless entry system installed on my 2000 Elantra. "Your valet" Keyless entry system with LED light and starter kill switch. $150. I also put a "Protected by Viper" alarm sticker on the front window. And for all those who live in New Jersey...My car has been to the depths of Newark, NJ, the auto theft capital of the world, and hasn't been broken into yet ;) I like it. One click...all the doors open. When you start it, the doors look. Simple. I ain't spending $400 on the factory alarm when it can do the same thing or 500+ on a viper alarm system. If a thief wants your car, he ll take it! They know how to get around those alarms. A coworker was telling me that someone he knew had his vette stolen. He had 2 viper alarms in it, yet it was boosted. Just goes to show you. I have a nice basic system which keeps the twelve year old from newark taking it. If a professional auto thief wants your car, he will take it. Doesn't matter what you have on it, no car is safe.

A good tip for you is to park your car next to a BMW or Mercedes, the thieves go after them first for resale value. Out of all the things hyundais are good for, resale ain't one of them and thieves know they won't get much for them.

Most lower-end cars don't have that feature that one push on the button opens the drivers door, another push opens all the doors. My Jeep Cherokee unlocks/locks all the doors, and that is not a low end car. However, my mother's 99 saab 9-3 turbo has that feature. then again, that car is 3 times as expensive. so if you want this feature, get yourself a viper alarm.
  • jkempskiejkempskie Member Posts: 49
    This keyless entry discussion is becoming boring. How about something different? I test drove a 2001 Elantra the other day and enjoyed it thoroughly.

One thing I dislike about the car (as I did with the 2000s and before) is the cheap trunk. The floor right above the spare tire is very thin and flimsy. Has anyone by mistake "crushed" the floor or pushed it in by mistake? In addition, the seam between the floor and the backs of the seats was really lame... a flap of carpetting sticking up. I tend to carry long objects every so often and would be concerned that the cheap trunk would be damaged easily. I'm thinking of checking out the hatchback when it comes out.

Not sure which of the interior colors I like better. Also, I was impressed with the stereo. I'm fairly picky but liked the sound quality after popping in a Stevie Wonder CD... does anyone think the CD and tape combo from the Sonata or 300 XG could fit into the Elantra? I'm thinking they might have used a modular design.

Finally, Anyone have package 5 with the ABS brakes? If so, do you think it's worth it? I liked the feel of the standard front disc/rear drums but would seriously think about getting the 4 wheel discs with ABS and the TCS.

Oh yes, it appears Hyundai updated their Korean website (click on "Global- Corporate Hyundai" unless you read Korean). It's a slow loader and doesn't seem to have gained much new information: http://www.hmc.co.kr/
    Thanks for letting me know where the ID plate was located. (My wife said I must be blind to have missed it. After seeing where it was I would have to agree.) Looks like mine was built in Jan 01.

Sorry I started such a chain reaction with the comment about the keyless door locks.
    But I guess that's what a forum is for.
  • jyk1981jyk1981 Member Posts: 37
    floridian: My friend bought Daewoo because first, he got nice deal, and he did not know World Hyundai exists. He only knew 'Bob Dance Hyundai' because they are close to his house and his shop.

And about Elantra's paint...
    My 2001 Elantra is black, and its paint is easily peel off.. If I put it into 'touch' car washing machine it come out with lots of scratchs.. But when I had 2000 Silver Elantra it did not happen...
    I guess some paint colors are easily peel off..
  • concannon58concannon58 Member Posts: 1
    I am thinking of buying a 2001 Elantra. Several on this site and other sites have mentioned how important a good dealer is when dealing with warranty problems. I have a choice of three possible dealers with 50-80 miles of my home. Has anyone had any experience with the Hyundai dealers in Bloomington, Terre Haute or Evansville, Indiana. I think the warranty on Hyundai's is great, but many of you have had horror stories when trying to get warranty work done. I know you can get warranty work done at any dealer, but would rather work with a good one from the start.
  • elantra00elantra00 Member Posts: 225
    I have a black 2000 Hyundai Elantra. I noticed it does scratch easily when washing. However, as if you look at most black cars, you see a lot of scratches on it. Black shows EVERYTHING. very high maintance. This is my first and will be my LAST black car ever. too much work. and when it chips, you see white and it really stands out. I hand was my car too. It has never been to the automatic car wash, so the scratches have been minimized. Dont bring your car to the automatic car wash! I cannot emphasize it enough! I spent 4 and 1/2 hours yesterday waxing polishing and compounding my elantra. Looks beautiful now. i see stuff, but no one else sees it at least.
  • davidc9davidc9 Member Posts: 1
    I bought my new Elantra just 50 days ago and am having the time of of my life driving it through deep snow, heavy traffic conditions and just plain highway driving. I have found it to far exceed any of my expectations for a car this price. There are three things about this car that really please me the longer I use it along with its great styling and ride. They are: the excellent Climate Control System, TCS/ABS control systems and the audio with CD changer System.

These systems make the car a real pleasure to commute every day. This car is a Great buy for anyone interested in quality for the money.
  • astrolastrol Member Posts: 312
    Hey guys---If you aren't already aware of it, here's a link to Hyundai company news:

http://www.prnewswire.com/gh/cnoc/comp/424987.html

and the latest vehicle and equipment description on the new Elantra GT is in the Mar. 19 story. There's too many characters to post it directly.

Sounds good! Plus another high lux car for America? Wouldn't that be something?

• tsantoratsantora Member Posts: 1
    Hi, We bought a new 95 elantra in 95 but had a lot of problems with the transmission. Does anyone have any opinions on standard vs. automatic with the new Elantra's. We are thinking of buying another one since the price is right. Also, for all you new Elantra owners out there watch out around 50-60k. Our timing chaing went at 55k and thankfully it was still under warranty so we got a new engine but the car was still running at 110k and wouldn't you know the timing chain went again ruining the whole engine. It wasn't worth the money to fix it. Spend the $300 to change it and you will be much happier.
    I bought an automatic. Granted, my experience with stick is minimal, but I can tell you that the automatic is ok. It is worth the convenience, but it can be very easy to confuse at times. It adapts to your driving still over time. I've put 1000 miles on the car already and it has adapted, it's much "smarter" than when I bought. Remember that it has a fuzzy logic system. I also do a ton of city driving, so a manual was out of the question...

Another question, has anyone noticed any peculiarities with the fuel gague? I don't know if mine is broken or what, but it's needling on an eigth of a tank left with only 221 miles, and I've been driving mostly on the highway for this fillup...Thanks
  • davek12davek12 Member Posts: 1
    Hello, I bought a new leftover 2000 El antra and I have found it better in every way over the car it replaced, a 1998 Saturn El Sedan. Although I really did like the plastic body panels!! I already have almost 5,000 miles on it with no problems. I have noticed one thing and I am wondering if anyone else has. When the car is cold, I hear a scraping sound coming out of the drivers side dash/foot well. When the car warms up it goes away. Granted, the temperatures have been low this winter but it is a weird sound.
    Last, in my area, Pittsburgh, PA, dealerships are advertising the base 2001 Sonata's with 5 speed for about $12,500. Does that sound pretty good??
  • killerkkillerk Member Posts: 55
    Hyundai Founder Chung Ju Yung, Korean Builder, Dies
    Seoul, March 21 (Bloomberg) -- Hyundai Group founder Chung Ju Yung, who built a construction company into what was once South Korea's largest industrial group, died today of complications from pneumonia, Munwha Broadcasting Corp. and other local television stations said.
    Chung, 86, was the honorary chairman of Hyundai Group, which owns the world's largest shipbuilder and the world's second-largest memory-chip maker. His career long symbolized to South Koreans the nation's transformation from the poverty that followed the 1950-53 civil war to one of the world's most successful export economies.
    ``He helped Korea out from the depths of poverty, and that's what he ought to be remembered for,'' said Richard Steers, a professor at the University of Oregon and author of ``Made in Korea: Chung Ju Yung and the Rise of Hyundai.''
    Chung was born the son of a farmer in Tongchon, now a town in North Korea, and received only a primary education. As a teenager he ran away with money from selling his father's cow, and survived by delivering rice by bicycle in Seoul and laboring on the docksat Inchon, a nearby port.
    Japan's defeat in 1945 brought an end to its colonization of Korea, and the peninsula was divided into Soviet and American zones of occupation. Chung's first business venture was repairing trucks for U.S. armed forces in the southern half, and in 1947 he started Hyundai (``modern'') Engineering & Construction, and became the first contractor to win overseas business.

-- I just wanted to let you guys know...
    I got one with an Automatic for 12,500, that's with the 500 rebate. The dealership by me is advertising a 5spd. Elantra with Air for 9,500....