Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Elantra 2001-2006

Comments

• interlukinterluk Member Posts: 17
    A 5spd. Elantra with Air for 9,500!? Must be without the engine.
    They can't possibly sell it for that.

What's the deal?
  • sjslosjslo Member Posts: 16
    That's the deal...I read the fine print, it's with a college grad rebate, repeat buyer discount, etc...
  • tonykrapiltonykrapil Member Posts: 211
    I have an 01 Elantra and have (had) a slight brake pulsation but never worth bringing it in to the dealer for.

ONe day I had a major problem with the car and the power steering pulley came right off the pump while my wife was out shopping.

Seeing as the car was being towed in to the dealer, I figured let em have at the brakes too while it is in there.

NOW, today, I have had it in the 3rd time. They turned the drums on the rear as they were very noisy and really pulsed bad if I used the hand brake only trying to isolate the noise and which side it was coming from.

Anyone else had their brakes worked on? I absolutely dread the dealer or anyone working on the car.... Rarely do they make things better with out screwing somnething else up.

I sure hope Mr GoodShaft dont work at the dealer I go to in Orlando.
  • elantra3elantra3 Member Posts: 7
    I PURCHASED A 2001 ELANTRA ON FEBUARY 14, THE CAR HAD 19 MILES ON IT. I ALSO NOTICED A SLIGHT PULSEATION ON THE STEERING WHEEL WHEN EVER I WOULD APLLY THE BRAKES LIGHTY AT 40MPH.OR HIGHER MY CAR NOW HAS 55O MILES ON IT AND I DON'T SEEM TO HAVE A PULSEATION OF THE BRAKE PEDAL OR STEERING WHEEL ANY MORE IT SEEMS OK. MY ONLY TOO COMPLAINTS ARE #1 THE GAS MILEAGE IS ONLY ABOUT 15 MILES TO A GALLON 242MILES 13.9 GALLONS.#2 MY CAR IDELS AT ONLY 400 RPMS I DON'T KNOW IF THIS IS NORMAL FOR THIS CAR IF ANY ONE HAS A 2001 ELANTRA WITH A 5 SPEED IT WOULD MUCHLY BE APPRCEATED TO KNOW IF THIS IS NORMAL. #3 ONE OTHER THING I'VE ALSO NOTICED IS THAT THERE SEEMS TO BE A SLIGHT HESATION AT TIMES WHEN AXCELLERATING THIS SEEMS TO BE INTERMITTENT.I REALIZE THIS IS AN INEXPENSIVE CAR AND DON'T EXPECT IT TO PERFORM LIKE A HIGH PERFORMANCE CAR BUT ALL IN ALL I THINK ITS A GOOD VALUE FOR WHAT I PAID FOR IT. $9,900 OUT THE DOOR. ONLY ONE CAR AT THIS PRICE
  • tmundartmundar Member Posts: 70
    Dear Elantra3,

In future posts, could you please not use all capital letters. It is more pleasing to the eyes and easier to read messages that use capitalization correctly. The last computer I used that was incapable of typing in lower case was an Apple II+ in the early 80s, and I don't think that you can use one of those to connect to the Internet (Although, I suppose that you could use a modem to dial into a unix shell account and access the Internet that way). :)

Tom
    Your brake situation is/was similar to mine, it was starting to go away on its own it seemed, but since the car was going to the dealer anyways, I figured let em look at it and tell me there is nothing wrong.... Hopefully, this last fix will work.

As for mileage, that is terrible. I have the auto and it idles at under 500 when in drive and have gotten as high as 35 on the highway with the a/c off trying to see what it could get for mileage if trying for it. Usually I get 28ish in town.

You may need to have yours checked, but that means taking it in.

Good luck to ya

Tony
  • ste123ste123 Member Posts: 2
    I am looking at purchasing a 2001 Elantra with automatic and option pkg #2 which adds cruise and keyless entry. The dealer in National City CA has given me a quote of $13,117 before tax and fees. Is this a good deal? They say its $50.00 under invoice.
  • jyk1981jyk1981 Member Posts: 37
    I own 2001 Elantra with automatic transmission.. And its gas mileage is about 290 miles/14.5 gal..
    with air conditioning on.. Also, I'm most times speeding 60~70mph.. One day I got curious about my car's actual gas mileage so I did little test.
    I drove at 45mph with cruze control on until almost of gas is gone.. It was about 310 miles/14.5 gal.
    I owned 2000 Elantra, too. However, it's gas mileage was less then 2001.

And the Break problem.. I don't know.. My 2000 Elantra made that werid noise from rear.. And I told that problem to Dealer and they said its natural.. However, 2001 Elantra was not make that noise, until last week. Last week, I heard something blowing up from my rear side of car during the drive. I thought my tire was blowed up, but it was not, the tires were ok.. I didn't know what was wrong, until I pressed break. The rear break started to make some werid noise.. However, the breaking was ok.. and still good..
  • jyk1981jyk1981 Member Posts: 37
    ste123: If you search on yahoo.com under Hyundai Elantra category.. They say 2001 Elantra (manual)'s invoice price is about $11,000. I think invoice for automatic transmission can be about $12,000 ~ 12,500..
    My brake noise started yesterday morning right out of the garage. Not a sound from them at all before this.

It was my right rear and it would not simply pulsate like a drum or rotor out of round, it would actually click load per revolution of the wheel.

Something tells me it is not over yet.

Good luck with yours.
  • elantra00elantra00 Member Posts: 225
    I had the same problem with my brakes. Its a hot spot on the front rotors. I causes the brakes to pulsate when stopping from high speeds and make the steering wheel and/or sometimes the car shakes as well. its easy to fix. the dealership resurfaced the rotors. I was in/out in less then 1 hour. It was real easy and covered under warranty. I suggest you get it done if you have not already done so. The pulsating will only get worse if you dont.

About the idle. Mine is a 5spd and it idles around 800 rpms. However, when it started to get cold out, the car wasn't use to it and started idling lower, like around 700rpms. made it vibrate more too. However, i was told it was just the computer trying to adjust itself for the cold weather cause the idle would "bounce" every now and then between 700 and 800 rpms. The mechanic told me it was just adjusting. Now its fine. Other then that, 12,000 miles and no engine problems.
  • ebekinsebekins Member Posts: 21
    Hey there, I'm looking at buying an Elantra as well, and I visited the same dealership in National City, CA; Frank Hyundai. I got a quote for an automatic with package #3 at about $13400 after the $500 rebate. This was their first offer, no haggling. I'm thinking it's a good price, but I'm not really sure. I suppose I could offer less and see what happens. But my credit isn't that good either, and I feel like they might have to do a lot of work to find us financing.

I applied on line through eloan.com and they approved us (at a high rate) but then they say they don't do Hyundai! I wish they had said that on their website before I applied!

And I was treated nicely at Frank Hyundai. I hope we can get the car!
    Do you think your possible credit situation is reason to pay a car dealer more than necessary?

See what you can get the car for from an on-line site like CarsDirect.com or similar and ask them to match it. If they can't try going elsewhere.

With 3 dealers here in the Orlando area (about 10 miles max from me) I bought my Sonata in Melbourne which is about 80 miles from here, but it was worth it. When I bought my 01 Elantra, all I had to do was mention going elsewhere and the numbers popped into reality.

Good luck.
  • pewtermanpewterman Member Posts: 17
    Good morning!

Some people choose a manual tranny over an auto simply because they prefer it. I always did but my friends talked me into an Elantra with auto. Surprise: virtually everything on the auto is covered under warranty. With the manual, of course, the clutch AND some "related" components are NOT! On any car warranty, isn't it always those "related components" that cause the most problems and expense? Something to consider!

Regarding noise(s) from the underside: as the car goes through its daily bumps and grinds some things may need re-tightening or adjusting. I noticed a noise when the car was cold-it was the heat shield on the converter-tightened, adjusted, no more noise.

BTW, a friend recently purchased a Chrysler LHS (BIG, BEAUTIFUL, $26,000 [?]. The other day, the big, beautiful Chrysler emblem on the trunk-FELL OFF! There you go!
    i,ve recently posted an ad about my idle on my 2001 elantra and got a respose on it but the person who responsed to it had a automatic transmisson if someone has a 5 SPEED and knows what the motor idles at when at operating temputere, i would love too know mine idles at 400 rpms this seems a little low to me i had a 1986 toyota celica that also had a 5 SPEED and it ideled at 850 rpms at operating temperture.this seems like what it should be because i noticed that when it idles at say 700rpms by giving it a little gas it also doesn't shake as much.thank you all for your input to this matter.
  • sjslosjslo Member Posts: 16
    Counter offer! I got offered 13,500 for my Elantra, same equipment. We countered 12,500 and the dealer accepted provided we take delivery of the car before the end of the month. You can negotiate with them...
    bring the car in and have the guy check the idle. he can adjust it as needed. Mine is 5 spd and revs at 800 rpms. yours is just low. not a big deal and should be covered under warranty.
    Hi,

Yeah, fine print on warranties can be a bit of a bummer. Especially since scant few of us comb through the warranty text beforehand and many of the relatively "high failure" components are not covered. The big stuff is taken care of but that stuff normally lasts longer than the car itself. Still, its pretty much the same for all car companies.

It is disconcerting that ebekins loan was kicked back because he was looking at a Hyundai.
    Geuss we'll have to wait a while until the Elantra reputation gets out and its trade in value tightens up. Can't think of any other reason why they wouldn't risk the Hyundai.

Take care
  • ebekinsebekins Member Posts: 21
    I agree that it's too bad E-loan won't support Hyundai. Their documents say Hyundai, Kia, Suzuki and Daewoo vehicles are ineligible for their loan. I might understand the other three (although Kia is Hyundai now) but I get the impression Hyundai is turning the corner and is becoming a well known car brand. Consumer Reports magazine liked the Elantra very much, and they say that if the reliability holds up this year, they may recommend it in next year's issue.
  • ste123ste123 Member Posts: 2
    We bought an Elantra last night. We decided to go with the one on the show room floor. It is white with automatic tarns package #4 with cruise, alarm, DC, and moon roof. Frank Hyundai beat Cars direct by $264.00 Cars direct price was $14,064 with the mats and gal emissions. The one we bought also had dealer installed pin stripping, door guards and wheel guards. They wanted an additional $900 for that but ended up giving it to us at cost ($45.00) The car also had after market chrome wheels. Again they wanted about a grand but gave them to us at cost (700) They really look nice and it was after closing anyway. The old rims were in the trunk so I have to do something with them. My daughter has a 97 Accent. Maybe hell fit on her car. As for financing we ended up getting 7.75% We were close to buying an Accord the same night but they wanted too much money and the financing was about the same.

In the end we chose the Elantra because you really do get a lot for your money. My wife was putting about $60.00 a week in our Expedition and with gas going up we needed a good mileage car. We got 0.9% on the Ford 5 months ago. Too bad Hyundai doesnt offer that rate.
  • moledad125moledad125 Member Posts: 14
    I have an 01 Elantra 5 speed too. Mine idles @ 400 rpm's too and I have no problem with that. My problem is, and I was wondering if anyone else is experiencing this, my idle occasionally races all by itself. sometimes up to 2500rpm's.It will do this for anywhere from 5 in, or up to a couple of hours. It simply will idle @ 2500-3000rpm's all by itself. It does this intermittently. I've brought it in to the dealer twice. First time they re programmed the PCP (computer). Problem persisted. 2nd time they changed the MAP sensor. Problem still persist. Now they are going to change the throttle body. Has anyone experienced this type of problem? Please let me know. I absolutely love the car but I'm beginning to think I may have a Lemon or, if anyone else is experiencing these symptoms maybe it's a design flaw. Any input would be greatly appreciated. By the way the gas mileage is blowing me away. On a recent highway trip with an average speed of 60-65MPH I got 42 MPG. This is no lie! I couldn't believe it myself. It is absolutely true!
  • rcatonrcaton Member Posts: 5
    After doing a lot of looking the past month or so, I think we finally settled on an Elantra. I've been quoted a basic price of $10,800 for the base Elantra with manual, and adding on the packages at retail. Not wanting to spend much, I'm looking at a Package 2 ($400) plus floormats ($78) and mudguards ($60), which seems to come on every Elantra they get whether you want them or not. So, bottom line is $11,388 as equipped, plus a $99 documentation fee. I see $10,800 is below invoice; should I jump on this deal, or try to bargain it down some more?

I would go with a package 3 for the CD, but $350 seems high when I could get something at Best Buy or whereever for quite a bit less.

Comments? Will I regret it?

Thanks!
  • jimmy32jimmy32 Member Posts: 4
    Yes! My 2001 Elantra (5 speed) is great except for the inconsistent idle. Most of the time it idles at approximately 700 rpm; however, for no apparent reason it will begin to idle at 2000 rpm (seems to be even worse after car warms up).

If I tap the accellerator and gently rev the engine the rpm then drops back to normal.

Please let me know how your story ends.
    Of course we dont know what the reason is for your idle changes however, I would not rule out a vacum leak somewhere. Check the hoses on the intake manifold and see if there is a PCV valve that may have popped out of the crankcase and marginally sitting there losing vacum which can and will change the air/fuel mix which will cause a higher idle than usual.

Thats great mileage, I have got a max of 36 with an auto trans.

Good luck find the problem
    i have a 2000 Hyundai Elantra in 5spd. Mine revs at 700rpms usually. Engine is nice and quiet. car does not shake. Seems this is a design flaw that is running consistent with all 2001 Elantras. I put in a K and N airfilter. Doesnt really give it more horsepower but it really helps the gas mileage. Im averaging about 40 mpg on the highway back from around 35. My tires look low, so Im going to check that first thing in the morning. Someone posted that inflating their tires more increased their gas mileage. Dont know if i should do that. too many potholes around now from winter. maybe this summer when they are all fixed, I ll consider it. However, I highly recommend the K and N airfilter for you guys. Really helps the gas mileage! Much better quality then the cheap stock airfilter.

ste123....Chrome rims?! That sounds nice. I dont they even make rims for the 2001 Elantra....just wheel covers. Well, at least i havent seen them. What kind are they or if you got a picture, I d like to see them :)

rcanton...I got my elantra for $10,900 back in April of 2000. However, i have rims, cruise control and CD player. So figure youd be paying the same with a base model cause they jacked the price up from 11,799 to 12,899 here in New Jersey...(I dont know where you are, so the prices do vary) Haggle with the salesman. Thats how i got mine so cheap.
    FWIW, I'm in the St. Louis, MO area.

I've shopped around other Hyundai dealers, and no one comes near this price ($10,800 base). In fact, the others have that little extra "dealer add-on" sticker for paint sealant, pinstriping and undercoating, adding as much as $1821 to the sticker. One even told me that that's non-negotiable. Yeah, right!

One of these dealers claim they'll beat anyone else's price or give you $1000. I may run in there with my quote in writing and see what they do. Could be $1000 richer!

So, to those who know, what parts aren't covered by the warranty on the Elantras with a manual transmission? I figure the clutch is a given, unless it's a manufacturer defect, but what else? What's the life expectancy for a clutch for the average driver, and what are clutch replacements costing these days? Been driving automatics for several years now, so I haven't been keeping up with repair prices. If I go auto, it'll add around $1000 to the price.

And one more thing - would swapping out the factory stereo for an aftermarket have any effect on the warranty?

Already got my financing lined up with my credit union, so it's only a matter of finding the one I want. Cranberry is looking pretty nice right now - people up the street already got black, so I can't be a copycat...8-)
  • fdnyfdny Member Posts: 5
    hello everyone, great site, lots of help.
    I am interested in buying a 01 Elantra auto, with package #4. Does anyone know of a reputable dealer in the Bklyn-Bay Ridge area... ok any area near NY. One of the earlier postings discredited the one in my area and I haven't gotten the right feel from the other dealer I visited. Also, if anyone has purchased this type of vehicle and wouldn't mind posting the price and place it will be greatly appreciated. Thank you everyone for helping me decide on an elantra in the first place
  • sfchewsfchew Member Posts: 8
    What is not covered in the 5 yr/60K warranty?
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    elantra00, what is the "design flaw that is running consistent with all 2001 Elantras"? Are you referring to the high idle speed problem reported by some posters? I don't know if we have enough evidence here to say this is a problem with all 2001 Elantras. It also seems to hit only the 5-speeds. I have a 5-speed and so far no idle problem--consistent 400 rpms at idle after warmup, no surging. In fact the only "problems" I've had since delivery are the little armrest plugs falling off and the fuel door not opening on the first pull when it's below zero. But I would like better mpg, getting from 24-28 so far, so I'll have to try one of those K and N air filters.

rcaton, if you've been driving an automatic for several years, why would you want to switch to a 5-speed now? Either you prefer a stick or you don't. If I were you, I wouldn't let the $700-800 (not $1000) that an auto will cost you sway your decision--if you prefer an auto, get it, and you'll be much happier. And you won't need to worry about how long the clutch will last. It's impossible to say how long a clutch will last in general. On my cars, the clutch plates have lasted from 40,000 to 80,000 miles, and cost around $400 to replace at the dealer (not on Hyundais, but Nissans and Hondas). It's not a big deal for me because I prefer a 5-speed and only put 6000 miles a year on a car, so my clutch plate should last at least 5 years on the Elantra.
    Hello,

We've got an auto 01 Elantra and are not too happy with the mpg either. With combo city/highway driving, all with gentle accelerations and nothing over 65, I managed a mediocre 27 mpg.
    Can't imagine tweaking it up to 36mpg, let alone 42. If those numbers are true, then it seems there's some quirky mileage inequities between individual cars. But that does not make any scientific sense if all cars are built to same standard.
    I can't imagine an air filter making that much of a difference but will try it anyway.

Any more thoughts from the assembled wisdom?

Take care,

Mark
  • darpin1darpin1 Member Posts: 49
    In my case the idle on my 5spd revs at 400 rpm...The reving that I get is rare it goes to about 2500 rpm but I noted that it did this if I lugged the engine (starting in 2nd from a stop)...sometimes when starting the car first thing in the morning it would do this but only if I had been riding the clutch when driving into the garage and shut down quickly then it would do this the next day....To me perfectly normal seen this with other 5spd cars...design flaw? I don't think so... persons driving style maybe the cause. Gas mileage has been good for me being careful almost religious about tire pressure. I up it about 3 psi from what they recommend of 30 psi cold tire. However you all might want to check your rear tires... The rear tires. They were suppose to do a Per Delivery Perspection and didn't and my rear tires wore out prematurely... The rear tires on both tires were worn to the tread wear indicators 12,000 kilometers! Obviously a alignement problem caused it to squirm in the snow. (Khumo tires)... The toe-in was way off...Hyundai and the dealer were ready to replace both tires and do an alignement for free with same type of tires or replace all four tires with the Michelin X one I wanted...They discounted the the tires and the alignement and balancing for free...I was pretty happy with that arrangement because I got I believe the better tires at a very reasonable price...sometimes a bad thing can turn good.
    The stupid spell checker keeps screwing up the words I hope you guys can understand what I said?
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    The spell checker is, uh, tricky indeed. For about 30 minutes after you have posted, you will see an Edit button beside the date and time of your post. This gives you the opportunity to go back and fix what the spell checker might have decided to "fix" for you.

Hope this helps.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans and Auto Center Message Boards
    my 2001 elantra gets terrible gas mileage 0n 14.5 gallons of gas of 70%highway 30%city did 210 miles gas gauge on empty this is about 14 mpg does anyone know why? my car has only 700 miles.
    Tim, I'm assuming you're a member of the FDNY. I am too. Work in L-125 Flushing Queens. As far as the Elantra I bought one and am very happy with it except the Idling problems you'll see posted here. Other than that I love the car! On a recent highway trip (manual transmission) I got 42mpg. I don't know of any dealers in Bklyn, however go to Hyundai North America .com. They have a dealer link which could point you in the right direction. You might also want to try Cars Direct.com I hear their not too bad. Good Luck! A
    Hi,

If the mpg is indeed so variable between identical vehicles as to make us scratch our heads, then we may have to concede that our Elantra are rearing their ugly heads of unrefinement.

I do like my Elantra but these inconsistantcies(erratic mpg, misalignments, reluctant fuel doors, loose screw covers, idle idiosyncrasies) make it hard to conclude that the car is as refined, say as my 1996 Civic hatchback. In 50k miles, the only thing that has deviated from the center of excellence was a faulty speedo cable that was replaced under warranty.

Although I spent my hard earned money on our Elantra--and it was a leap of faith-- I would suggest to others NOT to make a similar leap and to wait a year and see how else this car behaves after we get some significant miles on them.

If you must buy a car, then I suggest buying another make of car, despite a higher price, until these Elantra are proven all-around worthy.
    You can always trade in another make for a higher resale in a few years and recoup it on a new lower priced Elantra if they do, indeed, prove worthy of your cash.

Knowing what I now know, would I have spent an extra $3k on a Civic... just don't know. What I do know is that I am not NEARLY as certain as I originally was about Hyundai and realize I may have to eat crow some time down the road. Of course, I HOPE I was right all along.

Mark
    I'm not sure if the idling problem is a design floor either. You say it's an infrequent occurrence for you and only after you "lug" the engine. I find mine does it after extended periods of highway driving which I do alot of. This racing usually occurs at least once a week for me. The duration is what bothers me, sometimes for just a couple of minutes and two other times this continued for well over an hour! I did not "lug" the engine in any of these occurrences. I hope Hyundai is aware of this problem. Thanks A
    I think if you look at the Civic,Protege, Corolla, Honda Odyssey forums you will see very similar problems with gas mileage. Some people imagine they will get the same mileage at 70 mph as they do at 50 mph(20% reduction in gas mileage at least) or they expect it during the break in period when the car is new. Gas mileage is affected by tire pressure, temp, wind, type of oil used, and driver habits. If it is eratic it could possibly be a "design flaw" but most likely driver influenced by the choices each one of us makes while driving. Check the EPA site and use the criteria they use for good driving habits that will increase mpg. Not hard to do just an education.As far as what interluck had to say about the Elantra I don't agree. The 2001 Civic has had more severe prblproblemsn the minor "tweeking" I have had on my Elantra. I'll take my Elantra over a Civic, Corolla, Protoge anytime because I like it and in a real world nobody is perfect.Just read their forums and that should put your mind at rest.Denis
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    The powertrain warranty does not cover the clutch, flywheel, or pressure plate on manual tranny equipped Hyundais. You can expect the clutch to last anywhere between 80,000-150,000 miles depending on how you drive. A clutch job generally costs between $300-500. My mom's 92 Accord is on its original clutch and she has 189,000 miles on it. Granted the clutch slips a little and shudders bad when it is cold (when starting from a dead stop), but it still works fine. My 84 VW GTI was on its original clutch when I needed to replace the tranny around 180K. It was still working fine as well, with only a little shuddering, but since the tranny was off I had it replaced. So, if you would like to drive a stick again and want to save the $800, I say go for it and don't worry about the clutch. Statistically, it's gonna be a long time before you ever have to worry about it as long as you don't abuse it.
  • lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    This goes to all those that are disappointed with your new Hyundai's fuel economy. I too was really disappointed with the low and inconsistent fuel economy of my 2000 Accent in the beginning. Being that it was supposed to be a fuel efficient economy car, i was pissed I could only muster 24-27 mpg in the city and 32-34 on the highway. It fluctuated wildly as well. However, it has all evened out and now lives up to my expectations. You guys need to give your car some time to break in. My mileage didn't improve until I hit 12,000 miles. Now, I get 29-32 in the city consistently and 36-38 on the highway. So give your car more than just 1000 miles to fully break in before you start complaining about your mileage. Cars traditionally get their best mileage after the 30K mark. Anyway, there is light at the end of the tunnel, just give it some time.
    i,ve noticed since day two my elantra has a hesitation,a pause if you will it is a 5 speed and has this hesitation which sometimes seems like its holding back when xcellerating i noticed this is even more so if you park the car when it is at operating tempiture. i would park the car for a few minitues start driving step on the gas and that hesitation is even worse. for a about five minitues or so. it doesn't happen all the time and taking the car back to the dealer i'm sure they will louse it up and make more problems than i had.if any one has had this trouble with there 2001 elantra with a 5 speed and has had it fixed i would love to know what it was.
  • lyndon5lyndon5 Member Posts: 20
    My wife will put 100,000 on her 5 speed Elantra in four years. Should have some observations on long term quality at that point, right now seems a little premature. I have owned a Civic, a Corolla, and a Sentra over the last 10 years. The Corolla was bullet proof, can't say the same for the Civic or the Sentra. Overall, my wife finds this car superior to the 97 Sentra GXE we just sold. Much better handling, performance, and ride quality. So far, so good.
    Backy - don't get me wrong - I've driven manual tranny cars in the past, and pampered myself with an auto for the past several years. However, I noticed in the Elantras (and any other car) I've driven that the manual doesn't zap as much power away from the motor as the auto does, and I like being able to control when I shift. Wouldn't be a true "sports sedan" with an auto, you know. 8-)

Besides, most of my driving is highway driving and not city, so the manual seems to make more sense. Plus I'm getting what I perceive as a great price. 8-)

Planning to get the ball rolling and/or pick mine up tomorrow....
    I have a 2000 Elantra with 12,000 miles. I noticed it got reasonable gas mileage since day one. about 35 mpg on the highway. 28 in the city. I just bought one of those K and N airfilters for added hp and better gas mileage. Although i cannot feel a difference with the horsepower, the gas mileage sure got better. I get about 30city/40highway. So those of you who are out of the break in period and are still getting poor gas mileage, I highly recommend getting a K and N air filter (aka filtercharger). Not only that, they are good for 50,000 miles. So you may save money in the long run. Note: You have to order the one for the 2000 Tiburon, since both cars have the same engine and same airbox. Just goes under that one name. I hope this helps.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    rcaton, have fun getting your new Elantra tomorrow! I'm with you, a 5-speed is the only way to go on a small car like the Elantra, unless you have to fight stop-n-go traffic a lot. And the Elantra is really fun to drive with the stick, especially after the break-in period when you can open her up.

Re mpg variations: is this a sign of poor build quality, or is it a normal variation based on different climates, driving habits and patterns, and age of the cars? I think the latter. I know that I get way better mileage in the summer in Minnesota than in the winter, especially a cold winter like this one. It's not just the temperature, but more idling (warm ups), and I think in some areas the gas is reformulated with more ethanol in the winter (here it's like that year-round now), which reduces mpg. You also have drivers with low miles (like me, up to 2300 now) comparing mpg with drivers with tens of thousands of miles. And you have drivers who put the "pedal to the metal" all the time (like the poster from San Francisco who thought speed limits were a merely a suggestion) vs. drivers who drive with a light foot and strive for best fuel economy. I haven't tried this yet with my Elantra, but I know from experience with other small cars that I can take a car on a long trip at 55 mph (remember when that used to be the interstate speed limit?) and get over 40 mpg, and take the same car on stop-and-go traffic in the city and get 25 mpg or less. That was my exact experience with a '95 Mystique I owned. That Mystique also spent a large part of its first six months of life in the shop for a slew of recalls and other problems. My '01 Elantra, on the other hand, one of the first units rolling out of the factory (9/00 build) has had one recall (on side air bags, fixed before delivery) and a couple of screw plugs falling off. I don't count the sticky fuel door as a problem because other cars I've owned have done the same thing in below-zero weather. Sure, I could have bought a Corolla, or Civic, or Sentra, or Protege, and had a lower risk of problems. But I would have had a car that I would not have liked as much as the Elantra, and paid thousands more besides. It's not for everyone--if you're going to lay awake at night worrying about screw plugs falling off the doors, or worse, go see your friendly neighborhood Toyota or Honda dealer, plunk down your money, and drive off with a smile on your face. As for me, I smile now when I come to a stop light because I know I get to take her through the gears when the light changes.
    1. Tire pressure: Rec 30 psi I put it up 3 psiMost tire gauges I've owned have been off by 2-3 psi.2. On fueling up from the Owner's manual: Do not "TOP OFF" after the first nozzle shut off when refueling. Fuel cap must be clicked at least 3 clicks.I've been told by friends who are mechanics that this is a common mistake that people make. This will affect mileage as well (decrease).3. Shift points from 1-2 20 km/h, 2-3 40 km/h, 3-4 55 km/h, 4-5 75 km/h in other words shifting at or under 2500 rpm.4. Smooth driving reading the road ahead. When lights are about to change.etcEasy stuff to do and most of it is in the owners manual.
    So as a future Elantra owner, what other minor annoyances should I look for? Where are these screw plugs located, and what's the fix (a dab of glue?).

Sticky fuel door? Had the same problem on my Escort in the winter when it would freeze up.

Anything else?

Thanks!
  • stevesailstevesail Member Posts: 15
    To backy: We're also in MN (northeast corner of Twin Cities). Looked at the Sonata and Kia Optima last weekend, but wanted the 5-spd, which are apparently hard to find. So drove a 4cyl, 5-spd Elantra and really liked it. Can I ask what you paid for your Elantra (what options) and where you bought it? Did you look at the Sonata? Did you consider a used 2000 Elantra? Given their low resale currently, I'd think a 2000 could be a pretty good deal.
    Can anyone tell me where I can get a K & N air filter? Regular auto store like Pep Boys, or are they special order from a parts house.? Need it for my 01 Elantra.
    As I mentioned earlier, today I made the deal for my 2001 Elantra. Here's what I'm getting: manual tranny, Package 2 (keyless entry, cruise, alarm, etc), floormats, mud guards, in Cranberry. Total cost including destination and documentation fee: $11,560, with no trade-in. According to Edmunds, invoice on the same is $12,425, MSRP is $13,532, and TMV is $12,771. Is that a good deal or what? 8-) And this is no demo - less than 20 miles on the odometer.

Final prep is being done as we speak, and I pick it up tomorrow. This is my first *real* new car (always bought used before), so I'm excited!

FWIW, the dealer is St. Charles Automotive in St. Peters, MO (just west of the St. Louis area).